Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938910 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1100 on: October 06, 2018, 05:30:55 PM »
Dinner came out delicious. I'm happy about my cooking skills :P
+1

+2. Husband is currently scraping the last bits from his bowl.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1101 on: October 06, 2018, 07:02:47 PM »
hummingbirds at the feeder on my balcony
reasonably cheap delicious Greek food at the festival a short walk from my home

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1102 on: October 06, 2018, 08:43:39 PM »
The feeling of satisfaction from a DIY job finished right.  Today I fixed the ignition cylinder in my car, changed the oil and replaced the front sway bar bushings.  Total cost: about $5 for two new car keys, about $11 for the oil and filter, and $6 for the bushings.

Even better, in the process, I discovered that the shop that did the alignment (after I replaced a tie rod bellows) didn't bother to untwist the bellows after adjusting the tie rods.  It literally took me less than five minutes to remove the wheel, loosen the bellows, untwist it, and put the wheel back on, but I'm pretty disappointed in seeing them take such a shortcut that saved them maybe 30 seconds at the time.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1103 on: October 07, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
I spent $28 at Walmart for a new cooler today.   I felt so spendy for getting it when we have other coolers, but it is perfect for our needs (perfect size, good Igloo made in the USA, matches our team's colors, wheels on it, nice lid/cup holder setup for tailgates).    I'm sitting here 8 hours later still admiring it and thinking about good times ahead, so yes, it was a good buy and today was a good day...

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1104 on: October 07, 2018, 10:26:25 PM »
I made homemade posole, with green chiles I roasted myself, and it came out amazing! And cheap to make, too!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1105 on: October 08, 2018, 02:21:05 AM »
Studying my books for a new (for me) mushroom species that I found that day and being able to figure out with 100% certainty which specie it is.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1106 on: October 08, 2018, 08:37:43 AM »
Ability to video call and see my family that lives far away. I call them almost daily and these conversations make me very happy(Well, most of the times!). I remember using Skype a few years back and it was always buffering. Video calling was always messy. Now, whatever app I use (Whatsapp or Viber etc ) the quality is great. Thank you technology.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1107 on: October 08, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »
Trying a new recipe and having it come out well!  Made saag paneer, with home-made paneer, despite no experience with cheese-making or Indian cooking.  Surprisingly easy, and delicious.  Will have to add more Indian recipes to my rotation.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1108 on: October 08, 2018, 09:13:31 AM »
Ability to video call and see my family that lives far away. I call them almost daily and these conversations make me very happy(Well, most of the times!). I remember using Skype a few years back and it was always buffering. Video calling was always messy. Now, whatever app I use (Whatsapp or Viber etc ) the quality is great. Thank you technology.

True to your name!

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1109 on: October 08, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »
Using a long weekend to spend a lot of time with friends/family, make new recipes and basically try out the FIRE life I'm working so hard toward.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1110 on: October 08, 2018, 02:27:30 PM »
Using a long weekend to spend a lot of time with friends/family, make new recipes and basically try out the FIRE life I'm working so hard toward.
good on you zeli!

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1111 on: October 08, 2018, 07:05:19 PM »
Trying a new recipe and having it come out well!  Made saag paneer, with home-made paneer, despite no experience with cheese-making or Indian cooking.  Surprisingly easy, and delicious.  Will have to add more Indian recipes to my rotation.
Sounds delicious !! In similar type, you can try palak paneer, paneer tikka masala etc.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1112 on: October 08, 2018, 07:11:16 PM »
Spent about $100 this past week and 9 hours of work putting a custom wood trim paneling above our fireplace in the 2 floor great room. When we built our house 5 years ago it was almost $1000 to have them do it. With little kids in the home it took 5 years to get to it but it’s been gotten to.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1113 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »
My choir started rehearsing tonight for our Christmas concerts. I love singing with these people.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #1114 on: October 09, 2018, 12:57:21 AM »
Learning Spanish on the free app Duolingo.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1115 on: October 09, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »
Hilary Hahn plays Bach.  The new album, released last week.  Available on your favourite streaming site.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1116 on: October 11, 2018, 08:01:05 AM »
The first dry, cool air of the season after a particularly long, hot, humid summer
I've decided cold fronts should be named as well as storms. I call this "Cold Front Pumpkin Spice WhatEVrr".

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1117 on: October 11, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »
Hot cup of coffee when raining
Driving when raining
Being warm in the home when raining
Dripping sound on your windows when raining
All makes me happy :) I enjoyed all of them today.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1118 on: October 11, 2018, 10:37:37 PM »
Reading these forums with fresh cup of coffee on a friday morning.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1119 on: October 12, 2018, 07:51:56 AM »
Wow. I second that.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1120 on: October 12, 2018, 08:13:08 AM »
Coffee on the couch, watching snow fall outside the window. Ahhhh I love Winter!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1121 on: October 12, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »
Watching hilarious barbershop quartet routines (Main Street, Newfangled Four, Fred, Rural Route 4, Storm Front, etc) on youtube.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1122 on: October 14, 2018, 06:01:54 AM »
Getting your senses of smell and taste back after a bad head cold. (after you get through the "everything smells weird" stage)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1123 on: October 14, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »
Potluck dinner with friends on a Saturday night :)

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1124 on: October 14, 2018, 09:21:17 AM »
Alone time in my home.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1125 on: October 14, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
Finally, a day off with my husband and a sunny afternoon! It seems like the weather is terrible every other time we have a day off together. I’m going to push for a long walk in the state park downtown.

Edit: the long walk happened. Deep blue sky, bright blue sparkling water, a bit of color on the trees, and lots of white sailboats against the blue sky and water. Also a heron bobbing in the Detroit river that looked a tiny Loch Ness monster from shore.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:59:18 PM by OtherJen »

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #1126 on: October 14, 2018, 06:41:41 PM »
Meditate.  Been reading up on how meditation produces more gamma brain wave.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1127 on: October 14, 2018, 08:28:17 PM »
Meditate.  Been reading up on how meditation produces more gamma brain wave.
Do you follow any specific type of meditation? I'm interested in that area and wanted to incorporate that into my life.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1128 on: October 14, 2018, 08:30:59 PM »
The weather when its little cold.
The small plants that I grow on the side of kitchen windows.

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #1129 on: October 15, 2018, 05:51:12 AM »

Do you follow any specific type of meditation? I'm interested in that area and wanted to incorporate that into my life.

I think what I do might be call mindfulness meditation?  All I do is observe my breathing and any thoughts that pop up.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1130 on: October 15, 2018, 06:01:08 AM »

I think what I do might be call mindfulness meditation?  All I do is observe my breathing and any thoughts that pop up.
Ok thanks. I have heard about that but is time to practice it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1131 on: October 15, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
I've lost a decent amount of weight since last fall. My beautiful wool and cashmere sweaters that I bought pre-weight gain now fit again. It's like free new clothing.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1132 on: October 15, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »
Speaking of cashmere, a cheap thing that makes me happy is a lightweight cashmere sweater at the thrift store with a hole or two in it - the perfect decadent pajama top. The one I'm wearing currently cost me $1.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1133 on: October 16, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
My beautiful black suede and leather tall boots fit again.

I had gained about 20 lbs over the last 7 years due to depression, overeating, and inactivity. I bought these beautiful boots on clearance about 8 years ago and haven't been able to wear them in at least 2 years because of weight gain. I've worked hard to drop 17 lbs since June 1, and the boots fit again as of this evening (I couldn't zip them up 6 weeks ago).

I found out last week that a beloved dress that hasn't left the closet in 3 years also fits again. Yay for a free wardrobe expansion!
Congratulations @OtherJen!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1134 on: October 16, 2018, 08:31:37 AM »
...Yes, the library - although I often cuss it, since they don't always have what I want to read - so I've begun to see that as my opportunity to hang out at B&N, spend a bit on a new book and coffee and a croissant - what's not to love?:)
Being Mustachian I have a 20% discount card and I often find something in specially reduced section too:)
Wait! Is this a test or a joke or something?

Let me see, it's bad to do this at Starbucks, but it's okay if you're buying a brand-new book?

Let me be clear, you are free to spend your money any which way you want, but posting what you did where you did is hard to swallow, especially when you add the part in bold above. Glad it makes you happy, but it ain't cheap, especially compared to the library.

Where is my face puncher when I think I'm going to need it?

winterberrybiscuits

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1135 on: October 16, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »
Cracking open a beer and taking a long stroll around the neighborhood after a storm has left us with no electricity and really pleasant cool air.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1136 on: October 16, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »
Goldfish are cheap and make people happy.  The "feeder fish" for under 20 cents each are really cheap.  :)

Last year I bought "$5 worth" from the pet shop to stock the empty little pond at the nursing home where my dad was living.  I got about 40 fish and saved one to keep in his room.  We named that one "Lucky". ;)

Btw, if you place a plant cutting or two in the goldfish bowl to root you really don't have to feed it.  It'll just nibble on the roots. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1137 on: October 16, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »
A flavored sparkling water. Can almost squint & feel like it's a cocktail. (Caveat, I get them for free at work) I'm a big fan of the La Croix Berry flavor.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1138 on: October 16, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »
Going for a walking meeting with someone, vs sitting at a desk or in a conference room. We're in California so the weather is perfect for this right now.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1139 on: October 16, 2018, 11:17:32 PM »

Banned. RIP42 :D
Way back when, there were facepunchers aplenty. Now they're getting scarce. I can hardly believe no one else even noticed.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1140 on: October 17, 2018, 03:26:23 PM »
High quality talks and lectures on Youtube.  Good content is soo accessible in these times.  Good.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1141 on: October 17, 2018, 08:04:28 PM »
High quality talks and lectures on Youtube.  Good content is soo accessible in these times.  Good.
True. I hear some inspiring & funny talks while working (the work that doesn't need thinking).

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #1142 on: October 18, 2018, 06:51:33 AM »
The cool online Amazon-Kindle-Local Library connection that my two boys use now. They download and read to their voracious appetites and now we dont have to pay late fees or replacement fees for books lost.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1143 on: October 18, 2018, 07:29:18 AM »
pre-portioned, frozen steel cut oats that I made months ago, that have been making the past few mornings breakfasts so yummy! I hate waiting for oatmeal to cook, and forgot I had these in the freezer, and have been loving a warm breakfast on our first week of winter temperatures.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1144 on: October 18, 2018, 07:40:56 AM »
Not having to scrape the frost off of my car windows this morning.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1145 on: October 18, 2018, 09:46:42 AM »
Walking my dog, especially on 60 degree mornings like today. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1146 on: October 18, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
...Yes, the library - although I often cuss it, since they don't always have what I want to read - so I've begun to see that as my opportunity to hang out at B&N, spend a bit on a new book and coffee and a croissant - what's not to love?:)
Being Mustachian I have a 20% discount card and I often find something in specially reduced section too:)
Wait! Is this a test or a joke or something?

Let me see, it's bad to do this at Starbucks, but it's okay if you're buying a brand-new book?

Let me be clear, you are free to spend your money any which way you want, but posting what you did where you did is hard to swallow, especially when you add the part in bold above. Glad it makes you happy, but it ain't cheap, especially compared to the library.

Whoah Dicey - I never said a thing about Starbucks - here is my entire post:
Being able to afford to stay home with a good cup of coffee - with fancy milk foam and what not, without any impact on my budget.

Yes, the library - although I often cuss it, since they don't always have what I want to read - so I've begun to see that as my opportunity to hang out at B&N, spend a bit on a new book and coffee and a croissant - what's not to love?:)

My coffee comment means that I remember a time when I had to re-use my coffee from the day before, never mind affording coffee beans and I certainly didn't even dream of a milk foamer (mine is a cool little hand operated thingie that was a free giveaway when I ordered the coffeemaker). 
So yes, I enjoy the hell out of good coffee and I am happy that I am retired and I am able to afford any damn coffee I want.

But, squeak, you stepped on my toes:) I think I should clarify my post, since in re-reading I can see that it sounds a lot worse than it is.

IRL context - I've been to B&N four times this year - one of those times was just a walk-thru to see what they had in the finance section so I could then order those books at my library.
The other three times I did indeed enjoy my coffee and even a lunch croissant for $4 half of which I enjoyed for lunch the next day.

As far as the new books, yup I bought three brand new - one I first got at the library and wanted to study further, the other is the JL Collins book which I could not get at my library at all and finally decided to buy.
The other is by a romance author I love and it was just really nice for once to hold a crisp new copy of her latest book - read it and donated it to my library.

In addition, I bought two books in their reduced, specialty edition section, one a specialty book I'd been looking for and the other simply a frivolous purchase.

The fact that I can tell you in detail what I purchased and why, months later, should signify that none of these purchases were without thought.
Let me add that the first half of this year was especially rough for me, because I was focusing on two financial goals and ridding myself of an acquired jewelry addiction - so this B&N day became the only highlight and "allowed" expenditure - because otherwise, I would have run screaming for the hills.

I've already met all my goals for this year and then some, so my strategies paid off and I actually feel pretty damn good about my MMM inspired ways.

Roughly $120 for books, coffee, food at B&N for the entire year so far - I consider that part of my annual dining out and entertainment expense - without apology.
A jewelry habit - finally kicked - yeah, I had a lot of wins this year. Maybe I should list that as a Cheap Thing that made me happy, because it cost me nothing to take part in the gazingus pin gauntlet, except excruciating pain working through the why's and wherefore's and facing bitter truths like most of us who are totally emotional about money and wrestle with an MMM mentality. 

I would say that we are all trying our best - that is why we are here. I don't mind you calling me out, I see why, but I couldn't let it stand the way it was presented. If you still feel the same way - so be it.
Maybe you are one of the lucky "I've always been frugal and sensible with my money and MMM is my spiritual home" people.
I'm not, I have to work hard at many concepts introduced in this forum and then find ways to adopt the necessary strategies into my own financial life. 

Perhaps on the surface, it sounded face punch worthy since I said "often", but what I really meant was that when I do go (which is not often:) - I often find something in the reduced special edition section as well.
That is the exact area I completely curtailed when I first started culling my bookshelves and rethinking my book purchases, which was way before MMM even existed.

I remember times in my life when payday meant enough gas for a trip to the library, a bag of pretzels and a big bottle of Coke. I would have shrieked at laying down say ten bucks for a book and there were also decades in my life when I made good money and picked up $120 worth of books without thinking, because I could - and believe me I read every damn one of them.
I grew up in a family of bibliophiles with very little financial sense - so learning that you do not spend hundreds on your favorite thing, books, even when you think you have the money was something I had to figure out on my own.

Books and coffee are definitely two pleasures in life that I am not willing to give up. Over the years I found ways to throttle my book addiction mainly via thrift stores and the library - but you will not find the latest books on the many subjects that I am interested in reading about in a thrift store and at least 40% of my interests have little to no representation in the library - that is a fact.
Maybe I'm just a weirdo with strange interests all over the map:)
I actually found that the little beach town near us has the best selection of finance books for instance - so yeah, I do my research.

My next two evaluations involve whether that B&N discount card actually paid off (it was an X-mas gift-but a renewal) and finding out if there is a way to link online to more libraries then I have access to online right now. More cheap thrills:)

Given the choice between clothing and a book - I'd choose the book.
Given a choice between eating and a book - I have on rare occasions, back in the day, chosen the book.
I am a bibliophile who has learned to stick with three bookcases - period - via the 'one in and one out' method.
End of squeak:)

Just sayin' - sorry to have derailed this thread - my apologies.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1147 on: October 19, 2018, 08:04:43 PM »
Speaking of cashmere, a cheap thing that makes me happy is a lightweight cashmere sweater at the thrift store with a hole or two in it - the perfect decadent pajama top. The one I'm wearing currently cost me $1.

I used one of my days off to go to the nice Goodwill in my city. My objective was to look for nice work jeans to wear on Fridays. I found a pair of Joe's Jeans (super pricey $156 new) in my exact size for $6. I snapped those right up along with a nice Climalite North Face shirt for 99¢. I then went to the library & got the documentary "OJ: Made in America" along with a beautiful ukelele, both of which I have for 3 weeks. For $7 & some electricity to charge my electric car, I have a fantastic new work outfit & entertainment for 3 weeks. I've been wanting to try out a ukelele & see if I enjoy it enough to purchase one. My 3 year old son has really been enjoying helping me play the ukelele. He's a not very verbal kid with Autism who is now singing along when I play the few chords on the ukelele that I know. This melts my heart.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1148 on: October 20, 2018, 12:03:47 AM »
[Big snip]

I am happy that I am retired and I am able to afford any damn coffee I want.

[Even bigger snip]
@Rosy, if you are retired, you have won the game! Hell yes, you can have anything you can afford. I know I do. But the fact that you are retired, and presumably FI, was not apparent to me in your original post. Maybe a FIRE status designation in one's profile might be more useful than the size of one's [in my case and probably yours, imaginary] mustache. Alas, there are so many variations on the theme, it might be way too confusing. Nonetheless, I think it's a good idea, but I digress...

If you are FIRE and still hanging around here, I'd guess that you and I might have similar motivations. I stay because I want to be a beacon to others, especially single women, on the path to FIRE. I was never a high wage earner and I live in a HCOLA. The path in the days of YMOYL and The Tightwad Gazette in book form was far less interactive and far lonelier. It pleases me to help others who are still learning the ropes. Therefore, your comment could not go unremarked upon in this place, especially on this particular thread. It was the words as they were written that I reacted to and not you, the person, Rosy. I congratulate you on your success. Wanna meet at B&N for coffee sometime? My treat. I think I have an old gift card moldering in a drawer somewhere.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1149 on: October 20, 2018, 11:23:16 AM »
Come on down to Florida anytime, @Dicey - you are welcome:) to enjoy some coffee in our gazebo in the garden. Sorry for all that confusion.
While I'm retired it is Mr. R. who has a couple of years left to RE.
He was/is the main reason that I am here, but then I found that I also could do a lot more for my own finances than I ever imagined possible. (we met late in life and keep our finances separate).

So presently, I am sort of reverse engineering to improve whatever is left of my financial future, but I'll officially be done in Dec 2019 - so in MMM terms maybe that should be my true FIRE date.
I do have a tough time with scrimping and saving for an extended period of time, I need a break in between. I'll be glad when I can leave off the scrimping part in 2019 and simply sail into the sunset:). Saving will remain part of my budget, I am happy to have enough money to easily save some. It is the scrimping part that I'm not OK with - but hey - it is all for a very good cause - my financial freedom.

Together we will have a comfortable retirement with his 401K and investments. Thankfully MMM saved our asses from borrowing from the 401K and other stupid shit ideas. I needed the motivation to dig up one more, small pension I could have started five years earlier - lucky for me, they paid it retroactively.

Yup, I remember the Cheapskate and Tightwad gazette fondly and a few early sites, then I found My Money Blog which I still like, although Jonathan doesn't write much anymore and if I want a good laugh, good links and quirky ideas I read Budgets Are Sexy.
The main idea I came away with from the first Your Money Your Life book was my first true understanding of compounding interest and I started evaluating each purchase from the perspective of how many hours or days do I have to work for this item?

For me and that is humbling to say, the JL Collins website and book was the last piece of the puzzle. Why did it take me so long to figure it out? I'm still secretly intimidated by the Bogleheads:)
MMM has changed my life in unexpected ways, but it is this forum that gives lifeblood to his ideas and polishes them up or takes them apart and re-invents them to fit "our" lifestyle.

... and I am totally on board with inspiring single women to pay attention and plan for their future, but I've also seen too many married ladies who never paid attention, did only for others, neglected their own security and paid a hefty price when it was too late to fix their own financial wagon.
I have had a rollercoaster life, so I don't quite fit in anywhere. A lot of poor decisions and a total disregard for money and property cost me a good 401K and a property I owned. Consequences, baby, consequences.

I'm still reeling from the reality that I went from nothing but two suitcases, just before I hit fifty, to a now comfortable retirement. Mr. R. came along and turned out to be a really good man. Slowly I fixed my financial life once more and now we have a good life near one of the finest beaches in the land. I lucked out financially only because I have decent pensions and health care for life - so all in all, I'm just fine after all is said and done.
... which, btw was the second time in my life that I started from scratch.

Some people are shining beacons of what not to do:) - and maybe, just maybe, there is something to be said for - it is never too late - you might not be able to fix everything, but I can think of a time when $200 more a month would have made a world of difference and warranted a huge sigh of relief. Now I'm saving nine times that much and still have money left over to spend on whatever I want.

I will echo the universal sentiment of, "Make hay while the sun shines" - but - it will do you no good, unless you actually invest/save 30%-50% of your income. My age and my health made it a lot more difficult to fix my financial life a second time around - the first time was a breeze - good job, good habits, but I didn't understand that you have to fight for what is yours or live with the consequences.

FWIW Dicey, I always enjoy your posts and y'all do come down to see us:) It was nice to hash it all out with you:)