Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 187499 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1050 on: September 01, 2018, 09:51:51 PM »
Our local car wash gives away its 55 gallon plastic drums that the car wash soap is shipped in. The drums are very stout.. I have aquired about 6 of them in recent years.

One of them I use as the tank on my homebuilt boom sprayer attachment for our tractor..:)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1051 on: September 02, 2018, 05:06:27 AM »
Been wanting to have a rain barrel but too cheap to buy the barrels lol. We happen to stumble a local company who was giving away 50 gallon plastic barrels (used to store some sort of sauce) last week.

I been watching youtube trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to divert water from our gutter.

We also got a barrel for free and did this with a kit we bought on line from EarthMinded for $30.  If you do that, be sure to buy a separate metal spigot, as the plastic one that comes with the kit is flimsy.  All-in it was about $45 bucks for us.  Works great.   

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1052 on: September 02, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »
Reading The Boys in the Boat while enjoying breakfast and a full French press of coffee on my balcony this morning

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1053 on: September 02, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »
Reading through the ASOIAF books for the first time after being a fan of the GOT TV show for years

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1054 on: September 02, 2018, 11:57:16 PM »
Finding a shitload of penny buns in the forest near our cabin. The 9-layer drying machine is running on full.

Meeting a local person for the second time, teaching her which mushrooms are safe to eat. We got along pretty well.

middo

• Bristles
  • Learning.
« Reply #1055 on: September 04, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »
Home made espresso in a keep cup - enjoyed it on the way to work and didn't need to buy a coffee.  Thousands of dollars saved each year.

BookLoverL

• Stubble
« Reply #1056 on: September 06, 2018, 03:05:09 PM »
I went on a two hour walk with my friend yesterday, up and back down a local hill, which has a tower at the top. Beautiful day, beautiful view, excellent company. Cost: 0.

NV Teacher

• Bristles
« Reply #1057 on: September 06, 2018, 07:03:01 PM »
A really fresh Snickers bar, a bag of hot buttery microwave popcorn, and an interesting show on PBS.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1058 on: September 07, 2018, 12:34:03 AM »
We've been working hard on our house renovation.  Our house is half gutted, everything is disrupted, and we've fallen way behind in housekeeping.  I've been using the same increasingly dirty bath towel all week.

Last night when I got home from work I found my kids had done a load of whites, and I had a clean fluffy towel for my shower in the morning.  It made me so happy.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #1059 on: September 07, 2018, 02:48:42 AM »
Our local car wash gives away its 55 gallon plastic drums that the car wash soap is shipped in. The drums are very stout.. I have aquired about 6 of them in recent years.

One of them I use as the tank on my homebuilt boom sprayer attachment for our tractor..:)

Be careful with those, that "soap" is pretty strong stuff.  I got one with some dregs, so I poured them out on the asphalt and it started dissolving the pavement!

Candace

• Bristles
« Reply #1060 on: September 07, 2018, 07:52:13 AM »
I bought glass dishes at the thrift shop for the cat food and water bowl. The plate cost about $1 and the bowl about $2.30. They look fancy to me because they're cut glass with cool old-school patterns. I get a ridiculous amount of happiness every time I see them.

middo

• Bristles
  • Learning.
« Reply #1061 on: September 07, 2018, 06:15:26 PM »
Free spring rolls being handed out at work because they had been defrosted and wouldn't last until Monday. Friday night dinnet was sorted for free.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1062 on: September 07, 2018, 06:47:31 PM »
After several miserably hot, humid days, today was cool enough to make butternut squash soup for dinner.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1063 on: September 10, 2018, 12:22:49 AM »
Sudoku and cryptic crossword books.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1064 on: September 10, 2018, 02:32:37 AM »
Rain at home while I am somewhere else. We have had an extremely dry summer and we need rain.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1065 on: September 10, 2018, 04:56:32 AM »
Seeing one of the resident turtles walking around our farm.  We see them often enough that we can recognize individuals.  Seeing one of them just makes my day.     

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1066 on: September 10, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
A nap that's a couple of hours longer than I planned.

Wings5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1067 on: September 11, 2018, 04:43:53 PM »
Plumbing and potable water on demand at the faucet.

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1068 on: September 11, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »
Flavored sparkling water. If I'm feeiln' real fancy, then key lime pie-flavored La Croix. So. yummy.

effigy98

• Bristles
« Reply #1069 on: September 12, 2018, 01:10:11 AM »
Path of Exile, League of Legends, both free.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1070 on: September 12, 2018, 01:42:02 AM »
Plumbing and potable water on demand at the faucet.

We recently had the water turned off by the community, without pre-warning. And tomorrow evening they are going to flush the water pipes. This means a lot of brown, sandy water our of the faucets before the water is clean again, typically 2-3 large bath tubes full. Guess who is paying for running the faucet in my house until the water is clean? They do this several times a year and I think it makes out 10% of my water usage.

So yes, it is very positive when the water from my faucet is clean and potable. You realize it after such a brown-water event.

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1071 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »
So I am 100 work days from FIRE now.  I borrowed an idea from forum member Okcisok, and printed off a free coloring page showing a lovely beach scene.  I numbered the sections from 1 to 100, and each day I color in a section.  So much fun.  I'm taking a picture each day too, so at the end we can combine them into a happy little fill-in-the-color video.  :)

Seeing your idea bring someone else happiness :) Congratulations on the your imminent FIREing!

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1072 on: September 12, 2018, 11:13:56 PM »
Rain at home while I am somewhere else. We have had an extremely dry summer and we need rain.

I love siting under our covered patio, having a cup of coffee while it is pouring outside.  It is so loud and calming all at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:26:02 PM by EnjoyIt »

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1073 on: September 13, 2018, 06:09:13 AM »
Biking to school/work and noticing that Iím going faster on my bike than the cars that are stuck in traffic.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1074 on: September 13, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »
* Our little succulent strip that was entirely free to install!  (A friend ripped out her succulent bed and gave us everything she took out, and neighbors tore out a ton of mother-in-law tongue and I rescued several pieces. It's all growing really well in a space that couldn't be used for anything else because of water and light circumstances.)

* Photographing local wildlife and sharing and learning via the iNaturalist app

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1075 on: September 14, 2018, 05:27:37 AM »
having a good swim on a sunny day

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1076 on: September 14, 2018, 06:41:31 AM »
From tomorrow: Going on a week's vacation in our own country. We will drive and stay in our tent in the wild. We will be hiking, photographing, mushroom hunting, free diving, fishing. All free/cheap hobbies after you've made the initial investment for the equipment.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1077 on: September 14, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
Been wanting to have a rain barrel but too cheap to buy the barrels lol. We happen to stumble a local company who was giving away 50 gallon plastic barrels (used to store some sort of sauce) last week.

I been watching youtube trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to divert water from our gutter.

Yesterday was the first time we use the water that we collected from our two rain barrels. For some reason I could not stop grinning over free water.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1078 on: September 14, 2018, 02:49:04 PM »
Backyard butterflies: Monarchs, swallowtails, Gulf fritillaries, painted ladies, mourning cloaks, sulphurs, blues, skippers

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1079 on: September 15, 2018, 05:18:24 AM »
I started getting up 15 minutes earlier each day so I can sit around and sip a cup of tea .  Tea is cheap and it makes my mornings so much better!

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1080 on: September 15, 2018, 06:17:43 AM »
Listening to audiobooks from the library on my bus ride home from work makes me happy because:

1) Free books
2) I can tune out annoying people and overwhelming traffic noises.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1081 on: September 15, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
I started getting up 15 minutes earlier each day so I can sit around and sip a cup of tea .  Tea is cheap and it makes my mornings so much better!

Right on. I used to wake up, shower and drive straight to work when I had to be there early.  They feed us for free but not necessarily the healthiest of foods. 

Now I wake up 25 minutes earlier, make breakfast which is healthy and have a cup of coffee before work.  My entire day is so much better because of it.  Even if I get 25 minutes less sleep.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1082 on: September 15, 2018, 07:05:35 PM »
From tomorrow: Going on a week's vacation in our own country. We will drive and stay in our tent in the wild. We will be hiking, photographing, mushroom hunting, free diving, fishing. All free/cheap hobbies after you've made the initial investment for the equipment.

This sounds amazing. Enjoy!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1083 on: September 15, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
-Meals from the freezer. Such.a.relief after a crazy day
-Laughing with my kids when they discover 90s movies (they are 11 & 12) & think "Adventures in Babysitting" is the funniest thing ever
-Cheap (but not bad) wine. Currently enjoying the TI from Costco (similar to Kim Crawford, if you like Sauvignon Blanc)

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1084 on: September 18, 2018, 10:48:03 PM »
Together with SwissMister: having off on a regular Tuesday afternoon and walking to the local town hall to attend friends' wedding ceremony. Invited to champagne afterwards by the lake. Walking back home again in glorious weather.

All this knowing that I will be FIRE in a few days (SwissMister already is).

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1085 on: September 19, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
Frozen blueberries from the dollar store.

scottnews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1086 on: September 19, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
When my 7 yo laughs from his belly

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1087 on: September 19, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
Today it was free books downloaded from the library, taking my dog to the dog park and butternut squash is on sale at Aldi. My butternut squash soup withdrawal is almost over!

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1088 on: September 19, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »
Waking up before the alarm goes off, and the first smell and taste of strong, black coffee.  Time to conquer another day!

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1089 on: September 20, 2018, 04:54:02 AM »
A family card game.  Last night my 12 and 15 year olds finally 'got' euchre, and we had a great time.

frugalone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Single and Enjoying the FIRE
« Reply #1090 on: September 21, 2018, 01:05:18 PM »
Today it's the homey smell of the vegetable soup cooking in my crockpot.  I'm blessed to have a HUGE farm behind my condo (living in Ohio has it's perks).   Went there this morning and bought just picked cabbage, green peppers, corn on the cob, yellow beans, potatoes, tomatoes, onions and garlic.  Smells like heaven.

For less than $11 I have at least 7 meals.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:08:34 PM by frugalone »

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1091 on: September 21, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
A family card game.  Last night my 12 and 15 year olds finally 'got' euchre, and we had a great time.

Excellent. A rite of passage.

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1092 on: September 21, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »
Making little color-coded envelopes for my wallet cards out of construction paper and washi tape. I labeled the outside of the envelopes with what rewards are best to put on that card at the time;  i.e, Chase Freedom 5% bonus reward categories are Walgreens, Gas, and Lyft through October, when they switch to Department Stores, Warehouse Clubs, and ChasePay.

My debit cards are in one, my insurance cards in another. Now I can get through a checkout process without fumbling and trying to remember which card I should charge what tranaction to, or handing the dental receptionist my vision insurance card. The construction paper was bought on clearance years ago, and 5 rolls of adorable washi tape cost a total of less than $3.  Fun crafts on a rainy afternoon that will keep me from being frustrated later.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1093 on: September 22, 2018, 12:20:17 AM »
Going to a free presentation and photo display of something interesting in the city.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1094 on: September 22, 2018, 05:09:18 AM »
Seeing my kids smiling and happy!

a-scho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1095 on: September 22, 2018, 10:51:58 PM »
While disposing of some old televisions at my local hazardous waste/e-waste drop off location, I noticed they had a section off to the side offering free cleaning supplies and used cans of paint. I took away full bottles of Goof-Off and toilet bowl cleaner. Sounds weird to say, but walking away with free toilet bowl cleaner that someone else got rid of kinda made my day.

Walterbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1096 on: September 23, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
Maracuya Icecream :)

Reading a new chapter of my favorite Manga.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1097 on: September 23, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »
I have a blouse in a very nice blue and pink cloth, one size fits every Italian sized women. I am Dutch and bigger than that and the blouse was sitting too tight to wear. DH, on my request, remade it today into a top with very short sleeves and some splits in the sides. Now I can wear it again.

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1098 on: September 23, 2018, 05:28:40 PM »
Pulling out and wearing my favorite cozy socks to wear now that autumn is here and the weather is finally changing a bit.

Homemade meals with friends. It's certainly cheaper than going out for a meal and drinks. Plus I don't have to wear shoes so I can show off the above-mentioned cozy socks.

seemsright

• Stubble
« Reply #1099 on: September 23, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »
Spending days to make some beef stock in my crock pot and then using that stock to make some french onion soup.

I enjoy making soup in general. Tomorrow I am going to make some tomato basil. I just love soup season!