Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 135283 times)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #950 on: June 30, 2018, 08:16:30 AM »
We have discovered a picnic blanket under a tree in our back yard. Snacks, water, free-range short people, a book..... life is pretty great. It is even better when I can do naked baby time and watch the littlest try to eat grass with her baby bums on display for me to admire.
Ha! I had to read this twice. My first thought was, "Who left a blanket under ysette's tree and, ew, gross, why are they sitting on it?" Then I realized it was your fresh, clean blanket that your baby's cute buns were lolling on. Free-range, naked short people are the best. I hope ypu are taking pictures you can em-bare-ass them with later. Thanks for the chuckle!
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #951 on: July 02, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »
I realize my lack of sleep is translating into poor written skills. Sorry for the confusion! You are too generous to assume my picnic blanket is in fact clean. At this point it is pretty covered in random crumbs and baby drool. :)
"It'll be great!"

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #952 on: July 02, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
And yes, of course I am taking lots of photos of those naked baby bums! How can I not when she is currently so delightfully fat? There will be plenty of fodder for future admiration.... ;-)
"It'll be great!"

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #953 on: July 03, 2018, 03:41:24 AM »
On Sunday, the kids made 'diamonds' with paper (just one corner folded in and a diamond pattern drawn on it). They wanted to hide their treasure in the garden but weven told them to bring them to the woods and that we would hide them there.
In the woods, the kids started to collect wood to build a hut and a fire. So we helped them build a hut and flame shaped leaves became their fire.
We hid the diamond three or four times for them and had so much fun. Had a nice walk too and saw the remains of an old castle. Always fun to try and figure out wich wall and room was what

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #954 on: July 03, 2018, 04:02:20 AM »
Strawberries:
- for free in the fruit bowl at work
- for free from our garden
- the small ones that grow for free alongs paths in the forest

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #955 on: July 03, 2018, 07:08:35 AM »
Pictures if my 3-month old niece and her adorable expressions. She's out of town right now, so I can't visit, but even the pictures fill my heart.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #956 on: July 03, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
I found out today that I'm going to get to ride in an autonomous shuttle tomorrow. (driverless) Our city is getting to "test" this shuttle for ten days in our downtown area, but tomorrow is the pre-public testing day out at our university's campus. It also means that I get at least an hour off of work. :)

Me, too! But maybe we're in different cities...are you in Nebraska? I get to ride the shuttle during an unheard of 1 hour lunch break while listening to one of my professional heroes speak. Two days of free, excellent professional development, a free autonomous shuttle ride during lunch, & earning extra pay at an hourly rate to attend aforementioned professional development.

Yes, I am in NE :)

Last Friday I got to ride on the shuttle again, while I was volunteering at the shuttle site. 4 hours in the fresh air and lots of steps in!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #957 on: July 04, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »
The fact that nobody else in Toronto seems to realize that Saskatoon berries are edible and delicious. :-)
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

OtherJen

• Bristles
« Reply #958 on: July 04, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »
A larger-than-average population of fireflies, decent live electric guitar music from one of our neighbors, and enough DIY fireworks shows in the neighborhood that we should have a decent view from our own backyard.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #959 on: July 04, 2018, 07:42:36 PM »
Homemade iced tea that I can make to the exact sweetness level I like.

Summer breakfast - steamed zucchini and yellow squash from the garden with fresh eggs from my parents' chickens while sitting on the bench in the backyard.

Fireworks! (that I don't have to pay for...)  I'll be riding my bike over to the stadium tonight.  I'll be able to hear the concert pretty well, and the fireworks are better from outside on the lawn anyway.  AND. Since I'll ride my bike, I'll be home and in bed before most people have managed to escape the gridlock around the stadium.

Hot air balloon regattas... my city has one of these every 4th for three mornings.  I was only able to go to one this year.  I take the dogs and a contigo full of tea.  We wander around watching the balloon inflate and then take off.  And then the games!  They have to throw bean bags at targets on the field, and my favorite, they have to try to pop big helium balloons on tethers above the field with 3' sticks.  I look forward to this every year.
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

D.O.G.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #960 on: July 05, 2018, 07:25:38 AM »
 I love this thread! It's actually a great exercise to train to appreciate the little things in everyday life more often that get so easily overlooked or taken for granted . . .

My hit list for today so far:

- the glowing smile on my little daughter's face when she brought home a good grade from school.

- watching our Border Collie Cookie taking a refreshing bath in the little creek nearby after a walk in hot weather, lapping the clear, cold water while lying in the middle of it.

- the prospect on our family holiday on the Isle of Skye in Scotland in upcoming August. Haven't been there in twelve years; back then I wasn't even a dad, this time it's the first time with our two little daughters (ten & eight years old)! Can't wait to show them my spiritual home away from home!

More to come!

sixwings

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #961 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »
I love this thread! It's actually a great exercise to train to appreciate the little things in everyday life more often that get so easily overlooked or taken for granted . . .

My hit list for today so far:

- the glowing smile on my little daughter's face when she brought home a good grade from school.

- watching our Border Collie Cookie taking a refreshing bath in the little creek nearby after a walk in hot weather, lapping the clear, cold water while lying in the middle of it.

- the prospect on our family holiday on the Isle of Skye in Scotland in upcoming August. Haven't been there in twelve years; back then I wasn't even a dad, this time it's the first time with our two little daughters (ten & eight years old)! Can't wait to show them my spiritual home away from home!

More to come!

I was on Skye in May and LOVED it! Super excited for you, it's such an awesome place.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #962 on: July 05, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
Walking through a park in a new city, hearing new sounds that are not traffic.

Petting a cat in the same park a little later.

D.O.G.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #963 on: July 05, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
I was on Skye in May and LOVED it! Super excited for you, it's such an awesome place.

Tank you very much, my friend! I think it is impossible not to like Skye! Been there at least six time, always by motorcycle. Don't know about your experience, but I was always very lucky with the weather. Let's hope it will be like that this time, too . . .

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #964 on: July 06, 2018, 07:40:10 AM »
Telling a second young colleague about the concept of not increasing your spending in the coming years when your salary will go up. And then saving so much that you can retire early. He seemed interested in the concept.

OtherJen

• Bristles
« Reply #965 on: July 06, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
It's the first day in a week that we haven't had a heat advisory or excessive heat warning. Clear blue skies and low humidity make me very happy.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #966 on: July 07, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
Making banana ice cream from leftover very ripe bananas from work.

The rain last night and the rain that will come on Monday. We have been in a period of extreme draught, extremely high risk of forest fire, farmer's land not producing grass, national airport soon out of water.

The north of the country has so long only had rain for months. We have only had sun and 28C since May or even earlier.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #967 on: July 07, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »
Visiting a park in the city that I hadn't been before.

The nice weather that seems to be neverending this summer. Am I really in the Netherlands?!

My favorite simple vegan curry recipe.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #968 on: July 07, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
Watching a great World Cup game (on TV) with friends.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #969 on: July 08, 2018, 10:08:34 AM »
Going for a gelato with my 6 year old at the local gelato place.  Euro 1.60 a cone (3 flavors plus cream on top) and the most delicious gelato I've ever had.  They make it out the back with all natural ingredients. 

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #970 on: July 08, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »
Days like today, my wife and i sat near the lake and watched our two youngest fished and had a few beers watching the boats , people watch etc..
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #971 on: July 08, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »
free:
-going out for a walk
-a sunset
-getting rid of useless things in my house or on our property, bonus points if we can sell them. Being born and raised in NYC, other than family/friends and financial things, I value nothing more than uncluttered space.
-just being with my wife
-anytime I check my account balances and see I've earned money by doing nothing except saving/investing

cheap:
-a delicious homebrew or a bottle of wine that someone gave us as a gift.
-homemade dinner made by the wife
"The reality about transportation is that it's future oriented. If we're planning for what we have, we're behind the curve." -Anthony Foxx

"Silence is the best way of saying f*** you"

Radiowave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #972 on: July 08, 2018, 06:47:51 PM »
Listening to smooth jazz on the radio.  So much good music!
The future is bulletproof, the aftermarth is secondary (c)

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #973 on: July 09, 2018, 10:00:26 AM »
Watching people in my rearview mirror sing along with the radio with complete abandon. Totally makes me smile.

Weeding. No, really. It's mindless, meditative AND productive.

My kids going out of their comfort zones - trying a new food, taking on a leadership role they're a little scared of, reading a book they didn't think they'd like but end up joining the fandom :)

Used books.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #974 on: July 09, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »
Impromptu picnic lunches with my son. I always keep a blanket or old beach towel in my car for just such occasions!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #975 on: July 10, 2018, 03:31:09 AM »
Weeding. No, really. It's mindless, meditative AND productive.

I find weeding very difficult. We strew out seeds of wild flowers in our flower patch. How do I know the difference between a wild flower and a weed? And a weed is after all only a plant growing in an unwanted place.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #976 on: July 10, 2018, 04:26:23 AM »
Getting a free diagnosis of our El Cheapo car. My colleagues has 2 theories. One theory we can check and repair ourselves, the other theory needs repair, probably by a professional.

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #977 on: July 10, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »
You know what made me happy the past days? How the whole world connected and cared about those boys and their coach in Thailand.  We should have a minute of applause worldwide, like we have a minute of silence when large disasters happen and people die. Applause for everyone involved, that they survived and that we finally agreed and cared about the same thing for once. Of course we should also applaud the diver that lost his life trying to save the boys. I have read there were 50 Thai divers and 40 from all over the world.
More positivism.

OtherJen

• Bristles
« Reply #978 on: July 10, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »
I spent a lovely morning with an old friend and her adorable daughter.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #979 on: July 10, 2018, 07:03:12 PM »
Swimming swimming in my swimming pool

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #980 on: July 10, 2018, 08:22:29 PM »
-Dinner outside with my husband, putting our patio table to good use
-Finally achieving a milestone. I haven't run consistently in years, and have been trying to get to three miles without stopping, so I can join my friends in our half marathon training. Did it today. Felt amazing!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #981 on: July 10, 2018, 11:06:06 PM »
Taking my kid to the park.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #982 on: July 11, 2018, 10:20:56 AM »
Last week, watching our local July 4th fireworks.  From the deck I built last year with my own hands.
-Finally achieving a milestone. I haven't run consistently in years, and have been trying to get to three miles without stopping, so I can join my friends in our half marathon training. Did it today. Felt amazing!
Congrats on the progress thus far!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #983 on: July 11, 2018, 11:40:18 AM »
Thanks, @zolotiyeruki !

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #984 on: July 12, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
Taking my lunch to the park across the street from work every chance I get.  It's nice to get out of the building and nap in the government issue grass that's so much softer than my own!
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno