Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 615188 times)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #2400 on: November 17, 2021, 05:42:15 PM »
Alright, I am cranky. 

I have just seen another headline that says something like:  "There might be more snow this year.  Here's why." 

or

"Turkey dinners will be handed out next week.  Here's what you need to know."

WTAF with all the "Here's" tags?  Constant.  Everywhere.  Such obvious trend-speak that adds nothing and has a cloying, head-patting quality to it that distracts me every time.  Gee, I would not have known that reading an article about something might include information about that thing!  HERE it is at last!

Lop off that stupid and unnecessary tag. 

End rant.

Hear! Hear!

Here! Here!

Um, check this out.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

I really would have liked to send that link to a company CEO who sent a message to our management complimenting them on a data conversion. He had "Here, here!" right at the top of the email...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2401 on: November 17, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »
Alright, I am cranky. 

I have just seen another headline that says something like:  "There might be more snow this year.  Here's why." 

or

"Turkey dinners will be handed out next week.  Here's what you need to know."

WTAF with all the "Here's" tags?  Constant.  Everywhere.  Such obvious trend-speak that adds nothing and has a cloying, head-patting quality to it that distracts me every time.  Gee, I would not have known that reading an article about something might include information about that thing!  HERE it is at last!

Lop off that stupid and unnecessary tag. 

End rant.

Hear! Hear!

Here! Here!

Um, check this out.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

I was not attempting to police grammar. Here's why:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

:)

I got your joke ;)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2402 on: November 18, 2021, 06:36:18 AM »
That reminds me, it's time to make another donation to Wikipedia.  :)

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2403 on: November 18, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »
"It needs fixed". A co-worker uses this phrase all the time, and I want to yell "No! It needs to be fixed!".

Is it a midwestern thing? The people I've come across who say it that way have all been from Chicago or Wichita. They also say "acrost" instead of across.

I have always hated that, too. I do believe it's a Midwestern thing. I've heard it all my life.
Yep, I hate it, too.

But I've only run across it in the last 5 years or so.  Probably mostly online.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2404 on: November 18, 2021, 06:45:49 PM »
"It needs fixed". A co-worker uses this phrase all the time, and I want to yell "No! It needs to be fixed!".

Is it a midwestern thing? The people I've come across who say it that way have all been from Chicago or Wichita. They also say "acrost" instead of across.

I have always hated that, too. I do believe it's a Midwestern thing. I've heard it all my life.
Yep, I hate it, too.

I've heard "It needs fixing"  but I've never heard "It needs fixed".  American Midwest then because my parents both grew up on the Prairies and they never ever said that.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2405 on: November 18, 2021, 06:51:31 PM »
The latest This American Life episode had a very silly segment with an Amelia Bedelia parody and it very much reminded me of this thread https://www.thisamericanlife.org/753/failure-to-communicate/act-three-13

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2406 on: November 19, 2021, 10:32:01 AM »

Yep, I hate it, too.

I've heard "It needs fixing"  but I've never heard "It needs fixed".  American Midwest then because my parents both grew up on the Prairies and they never ever said that.

SE Michigan native. I've never heard "It needs fixed."

My recent pet peeve: "#boymom" all over social media posts. I first noticed this a couple of years ago, and now it seems to be EVERYwhere. I don't think I've ever seen "#girlmom," but I think I'd be just as annoyed by that. We already hyper-genderize kids with clothing, toys, and expectations of emotional and physical behavior. Why do we have to extend that to parenting?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2407 on: November 19, 2021, 02:34:04 PM »

Yep, I hate it, too.

This is very common in the south. 

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2408 on: November 19, 2021, 03:57:07 PM »

Yep, I hate it, too.

This is very common in the south.

Maybe in some areas of the South.  I've never noticed hearing it in NC, where I've lived for most of my life. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2409 on: November 23, 2021, 10:07:27 AM »
Found a new one.

"I wretched" when the meaning was "I retched".  Wretched and retched don't even sound the same when used properly.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2410 on: November 23, 2021, 10:27:52 AM »
Found a new one.

"I wretched" when the meaning was "I retched".  Wretched and retched don't even sound the same when used properly.

Tbf, a person who just retched might feel wretched.

I saw tortuous and torturous mixed up a lot when I worked in endoscopy,  but having a tortuous colon is can make for a torturous experience.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2411 on: November 23, 2021, 11:35:53 AM »
Found a new one.

Tbf, a person who just retched might feel wretched.

I saw tortuous and torturous mixed up a lot when I worked in endoscopy,  but having a tortuous colon is can make for a torturous experience.

I'm sure someone who just wretched would feel wretched, but only retched is a verb.

Tortuous and torturous, that's a fun pair.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2412 on: November 23, 2021, 05:12:36 PM »
Part of my work puts me on boats, and I chuckle every time someone says “wench” instead of “winch”. 

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2413 on: November 23, 2021, 05:21:39 PM »
Part of my work puts me on boats, and I chuckle every time someone says “wench” instead of “winch”.

"To the winch, wench!" I really should watch "The Princess Bride" again sometime soon. So many great lines from that movie.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2414 on: November 24, 2021, 05:30:29 AM »
"It's an investment" as a way of justifying something expensive like a kitchen appliance. I think people get confused about true investing when both a KitchenAid mixer and a stock portfolio are "investments."

(Nothing against KitchenAid mixers. I have my mom's 40 year old one, and while it still works and has provided lots of good meals and happiness, if I were to sell it today, I wouldn't get nearly the same return as I would if the same money had been used to purchase index funds!)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2415 on: November 29, 2021, 06:55:29 AM »
I'm sure someone who just wretched would feel wretched, but only retched is a verb.

Add in tortious for even more fun.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2416 on: November 29, 2021, 08:13:31 AM »
"It's an investment" as a way of justifying something expensive like a kitchen appliance. I think people get confused about true investing when both a KitchenAid mixer and a stock portfolio are "investments."

Never to be outdone, the realtors of the world are quick to parrot: "your home is likely the biggest investment you will ever make". 
Most of the time your home is a liability, not an asset.  And it's a pretty poor investment overall.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2417 on: November 29, 2021, 08:30:50 AM »

Never to be outdone, the realtors of the world are quick to parrot: "your home is likely the biggest investment you will ever make". 
Most of the time your home is a liability, not an asset.  And it's a pretty poor investment overall.

A mortgage is a liability.  A home is an asset.

While the home itself can certainly be considered a poor investment, the land that it's built on (assuming you're in a prosperous city) is often a pretty decent one.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2418 on: November 29, 2021, 10:02:04 AM »

Add in tortious for even more fun.

Had to google that one, but it makes sense in legalese.  ;-)

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2419 on: November 29, 2021, 10:18:03 AM »
I started seeing the word "based" appear in places it didn't make sense. It was frequent enough that I consulted the Urban Dictionary to find that it's being used to indicated that someone is speaking an authentic truth, sort of like "grounded", and also as the opposite of biased.

I'd like to see it go away, but I'm under no illusions about the odds of that.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2420 on: November 29, 2021, 11:17:39 AM »

While the home itself can certainly be considered a poor investment, the land that it's built on (assuming you're in a prosperous city) is often a pretty decent one.

I agree a mortgage is a liability, but the hone is both an asset and a liability. It typically comes with a hefty and inescapable tax burden, and there’s a sizable amount of maintenance involved.

The value of land is far from certain. Cities wax and wane, and their property values follow suit.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2421 on: November 29, 2021, 01:21:58 PM »

I agree a mortgage is a liability, but the hone is both an asset and a liability. It typically comes with a hefty and inescapable tax burden, and there’s a sizable amount of maintenance involved.

The value of land is far from certain. Cities wax and wane, and their property values follow suit.
I see modest primary homes as an investment that pays a tax free dividend in the form of imputed rent value. E.g. if the tax and maintenance is 500 but renting an equivalent place would be 1500, then your house investment is giving you 1000 every month, whether it increases in value or not.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2422 on: November 29, 2021, 03:24:01 PM »
I just found out about nurdles.  I don't hate the word but I think I was better off not knowing about them:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/29/nurdles-plastic-pellets-environmental-ocean-spills-toxic-waste-not-classified-hazardous

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2423 on: December 09, 2021, 04:16:33 PM »
I started seeing the word "based" appear in places it didn't make sense. It was frequent enough that I consulted the Urban Dictionary to find that it's being used to indicated that someone is speaking an authentic truth, sort of like "grounded", and also as the opposite of biased.

'Based' has been around for years. It's a cultural thing. As in "Jorgen grew up in the poor section of Balaka, where the Balakan music style began, therefore Jorgen is a 'based' performer of Balakan music. " As in his genius is based in his real geographical location.  As opposed to someone who mimics the style.

For some reason, it doesn't annoy me too much.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2424 on: December 10, 2021, 01:16:04 AM »

That's just an internet culture thing, like "pwned" used to be.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2425 on: December 10, 2021, 03:30:57 PM »
This isn't a specific word or phrase, but it makes me sad to hear/see people talk about how "busy" and "stressful" the holiday season is. It's like it's just accepted that this time of year is terribly stressful. I don't see where the stress comes from. Is it having to see family members you don't like? Is it having to buy gifts that you don't want to buy? Is it having too many people in your life who love you enough to invite you to their Christmas party? All of these things seem avoidable and/or manageable. If you don't like it, change it! I love this time of year, and I don't find it at all stressful. It seems that people bring the stress on themselves and feel proud of it, almost like the way being "so busy" is a badge of honor these days. Sad.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2426 on: December 10, 2021, 03:42:50 PM »
This isn't a specific word or phrase, but it makes me sad to hear/see people talk about how "busy" and "stressful" the holiday season is. It's like it's just accepted that this time of year is terribly stressful. I don't see where the stress comes from. Is it having to see family members you don't like? Is it having to buy gifts that you don't want to buy? Is it having too many people in your life who love you enough to invite you to their Christmas party? All of these things seem avoidable and/or manageable. If you don't like it, change it! I love this time of year, and I don't find it at all stressful. It seems that people bring the stress on themselves and feel proud of it, almost like the way being "so busy" is a badge of honor these days. Sad.
I agree that "busy" and "stressed" are overused. 

That said, I can point out a few reasons why the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas is more stressful than normal, at least for our family.  We're already pretty darn busy in the base case, but a bunch of extra stuff comes up in those four weeks.  Kids have band/choir/orchestra concerts, with the attendant extra rehearsals.  I sing with a barbershop chorus, which has its own rehearsals and performances.  Shopping for Christmas presents takes time.  Baking and delivering cookies takes time.  All manner of Christmas (or other holiday) parties happen.  Everyone and their dog starts some sort of charitable giving project.  I somehow found myself constructing a manger for a nativity scene.  Oh, and it's now cold enough that DW has to drive kids to school instead of them riding their bikes.  BTW, next week, so-and-so is going to be on vacation, would you be willing to cover for them?  Now, add on all the year-end stuff and we're-about-to-start-a-new-year stuff and final exams in school and so forth, and it gets pretty nuts. 

Basically, it went from "busy but manageable" to "holy cow what did we get ourselves into?!"

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2427 on: December 10, 2021, 05:10:11 PM »
Well there is bad stress = distress and good stress = "eustress".  Planning a funeral is bad and stressful, planning a wedding is good and stressful.  Eustress is also stress that encourages us to be productive and useful.

So I suppose it is up to us to manage to have more eustress than distress. In other words, put our financial analytical skills to figuring out ways to make the holidays fun without being totally exhausting.

And yeah, good luck, with that, I know.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2428 on: December 10, 2021, 05:14:26 PM »
Well there is bad stress = distress and good stress = "eustress".  Planning a funeral is bad and stressful, planning a wedding is good and stressful.  Eustress is also stress that encourages us to be productive and useful.

So I suppose it is up to us to manage to have more eustress than distress. In other words, put our financial analytical skills to figuring out ways to make the holidays fun without being totally exhausting.

Often planning a wedding is distress, weddings can suck donkey balls

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2429 on: December 10, 2021, 06:00:13 PM »

True, l was being optimistic. Planning a fun vacation?  Stressful but good.

I found a great way to make Christmas less stressful.  I admit divorce may not be for everyone.    ;-)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2430 on: December 10, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »

True, l was being optimistic. Planning a fun vacation?  Stressful but good.

I found a great way to make Christmas less stressful.  I admit divorce may not be for everyone.    ;-)

HA!

Awesome

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2431 on: December 10, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »
I don't see where the stress comes from. Is it having to see family members you don't like?
For me, it's not that I don't like my family members, it's the expectations that some of them have.  It seems they have these memories of "the perfect Christmas from long ago" that they're constantly trying to recreate.  Not only do I have no memory of a perfect holiday, trying to recreate something seems to lead to disappointment.  That's what stresses me out. 

We actually have a saying in our family (one of the only traditions that happens regularly).  "It's not really Christmas until Mom cries".  And then we all wipe our tears and laugh. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2432 on: December 14, 2021, 07:05:01 AM »
I was going to add "bold-faced lie" which I saw two separate times before I even got out of bed this morning.  I believed it to be a mistaken permutation of the correct "bald-faced lie" but I guess it's a little more nuanced than that. https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/is-that-lie-bald-faced-or-bold-faced-or-barefaced

I do think "bold-faced" is an accident that just coincidentally has a meaning consistent with historic origins, as the link suggests, but regardless I guess it's not really *wrong*. I do still wish it would go away though, since I'm sort of against mistakes being justified as correct through a backdoor. Feels a lot like the ends justifying the means.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #2433 on: December 15, 2021, 08:00:46 AM »

So there I was, just happily plodding along with my work today. Need to refresh some shared slides. I like to add a text box that can be deleted after review/updates are made to help me track what still need to be done.

Did the first pass review and added a text box to every slide with content. Scrolled back to slide 1 and stared at the text I had typed, and felt a little twitch as I read “Needs updated”. Why does that look weird…..oh I know! Fortunately, this presentation will only be worked on by me, and the only person who may look at it would not see anything questionable. He would say if questioned “I seen that box, so?”

Yes, in the midwest.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2434 on: December 15, 2021, 08:40:47 AM »

Yes, stress and busyness this has been the Theme of the Season for years.

I hate the “Are you ready for Christmas?” question because I am kind of a literal person and I never know how to answer this.  Hell yes I am ready, as I am ready for January 3, March 22, or whatever.

But I can assure everyone I do not want to hear your tedious ToDo shopping, baking, and travel preparation lists. Rather than This being THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR it is for me THE MOST BORING CONVERSATIONAL TIME OF THE YEAR.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 08:42:40 AM by iris lily »

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2435 on: December 15, 2021, 09:59:03 AM »

I hate the “Are you ready for Christmas?” question because I am kind of a literal person and I never know how to answer this.  Hell yes I am ready, as I am ready for January 3, March 22, or whatever.

But I can assure everyone I do not want to hear your tedious ToDo shopping, baking, and travel preparation lists. Rather than This being THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR it is for me THE MOST BORING CONVERSATIONAL TIME OF THE YEAR.

This is so true. It's bad enough that the answer to "How are you?" is often, "Oh, I'm SO busy!" all year. Now we have to hear that on steroids all the way until January. Is this just an American thing, or has it started to bleed into other countries/cultures, too? I mean, we just (in the US and Canada) finished celebrating Thanksgiving, and now we're turning right around and complaining about everything we just said we were grateful for... friends, family, food, activities, gifts, etc. I might have to start recommending to my complainy-pants acquaintances that they make "scale back on life so it's less stressful" one of their New Year's resolutions.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2436 on: December 15, 2021, 05:16:27 PM »
SE Michigan native. I've never heard "It needs fixed."
NW OH I hear that all the time.

"Hit the ground running" is the current phrase I keep hearing that needs to go away.  It's what people say when they are telling you they are unwilling to invest in any training, so are going to continue complaining about how nobody wants to work while searching for a Unicorn applicant that could only possibly satisfy all their requirements if they already worked for the company...

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2437 on: December 15, 2021, 08:31:36 PM »
When someone declares they are 'weary' of someone of something, does it mean they are actually 'wary'? It's one of those things that can go either way, but mostly seems to be the latter.

And if someone or something has put you through the 'ringer', do you mean to say 'wringer'? Or did they actually put you through the phone or doorbell ringer?

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2438 on: December 16, 2021, 07:47:26 AM »
When someone declares they are 'weary' of someone of something, does it mean they are actually 'wary'? It's one of those things that can go either way, but mostly seems to be the latter.

And if someone or something has put you through the 'ringer', do you mean to say 'wringer'? Or did they actually put you through the phone or doorbell ringer?
Yeah, leery, weary, and wary are all crunched up together with some people.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2439 on: December 16, 2021, 08:01:02 AM »

There are a great many people at work who I'm weary of.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2440 on: December 21, 2021, 05:38:05 AM »
I've seen this in recipes recently: "Boil off the noodles." Meaning "cook the noodles in boiling water." Is that something people really say? To me "boil off" sounds like part of a chemistry lab procedure in which you're purifying something by boiling it so that part of it (water or whatever) evaporates.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2441 on: December 21, 2021, 06:49:34 AM »
I've seen this in recipes recently: "Boil off the noodles." Meaning "cook the noodles in boiling water." Is that something people really say? To me "boil off" sounds like part of a chemistry lab procedure in which you're purifying something by boiling it so that part of it (water or whatever) evaporates.

To me that would mean boiling off all the water.  As in the water is all gone.  Boil the noodles means cook the noodles in boiling water.  Just like simmer the noodles means cook the noodles in simmering (not boiling) water.   Cooking, like anything else, has a vocabulary that indicates what you should be doing.

This isn't massive language precision, it is just being clear.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 06:51:12 AM by RetiredAt63 »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2442 on: December 21, 2021, 07:05:27 AM »

Yeah, unless they mean to boil the water off completely and leave cooked noodles, which is done in some recipes, then they're using really weird wording.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2443 on: December 22, 2021, 02:32:07 PM »

This is so true. It's bad enough that the answer to "How are you?" is often, "Oh, I'm SO busy!" all year. Now we have to hear that on steroids all the way until January. Is this just an American thing, or has it started to bleed into other countries/cultures, too? I mean, we just (in the US and Canada) finished celebrating Thanksgiving, and now we're turning right around and complaining about everything we just said we were grateful for... friends, family, food, activities, gifts, etc. I might have to start recommending to my complainy-pants acquaintances that they make "scale back on life so it's less stressful" one of their New Year's resolutions.

One of my advisers, who was among the most successful, accomplished and kind people I have ever met, told me that “truly busy people rarely bother telling you how busy they are. The ones that do just want to be perceived as busy”.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #2444 on: January 04, 2022, 04:26:03 PM »
I haven't had time to sift through this extensive list of words/phrases I wish would go away so someone probably hit these already but I'll put them up anyway:

"You do you" - not sure where this one came from but I hear it all the time now.
"Protip" - everyone is a pro all of a sudden.
"Fun fact" - maybe in your head it's fun but most of the time it's just a fact, not that fun

Jeez, I sound like a real jerk after writing those. Fun Fact- I don't care. Pro tip- don't reply offering me a pro tip. I won't read it. You could reply and say, "you do you" and it might be appropriate here but I still can't stand it.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2445 on: January 04, 2022, 04:59:20 PM »
I haven't had time to sift through this extensive list of words/phrases I wish would go away so someone probably hit these already but I'll put them up anyway:

"You do you" - not sure where this one came from but I hear it all the time now.
"Protip" - everyone is a pro all of a sudden.
"Fun fact" - maybe in your head it's fun but most of the time it's just a fact, not that fun

Jeez, I sound like a real jerk after writing those. Fun Fact- I don't care. Pro tip- don't reply offering me a pro tip. I won't read it. You could reply and say, "you do you" and it might be appropriate here but I still can't stand it.

Whoa! So meta.

Except that FB has ruined "meta" so now it's a word or phrase that I regret must also go away. RIP "so meta."

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2446 on: January 05, 2022, 11:40:35 AM »
Pro tip and fun fact are usually sarcastic in my experience. Like my BIL sent me "Fun fact: steel rusts" the other day, and I got a meme that was something like "Pro tip, if you hit your gas and brakes at the same time, your car will take a screenshot".

So the purpose they serve is to call attention to the sarcastic tone, particularly in writing.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2447 on: January 05, 2022, 07:48:22 PM »
Pro tip and fun fact are usually sarcastic in my experience. Like my BIL sent me "Fun fact: steel rusts" the other day, and I got a meme that was something like "Pro tip, if you hit your gas and brakes at the same time, your car will take a screenshot".

So the purpose they serve is to call attention to the sarcastic tone, particularly in writing.

Can I be friends with your BIL? This is totally my kind of humor.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #2448 on: January 07, 2022, 08:31:16 AM »

One of my advisers, who was among the most successful, accomplished and kind people I have ever met, told me that “truly busy people rarely bother telling you how busy they are. The ones that do just want to be perceived as busy”.

This is insane in how truthful it is. Now, off to tell my coworkers about how busy I am!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2449 on: January 07, 2022, 10:18:43 AM »

This is insane in how truthful it is. Now, off to tell my coworkers about how busy I am!
teeheehee