Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 613521 times)

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #2750 on: March 17, 2023, 08:21:42 PM »
I am “literally” fed up with the word.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2751 on: March 18, 2023, 12:55:10 PM »
Found a good t-shirt theme today.
Want.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2752 on: March 18, 2023, 03:31:38 PM »
@Dicey, my mother, the former English teacher, loved that shirt.  There was a whole book on that called "Eats, shoots and leaves" with a Koala on the cover that was popular.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2753 on: March 18, 2023, 03:41:42 PM »
@Dicey, my mother, the former English teacher, loved that shirt.  There was a whole book on that called "Eats, shoots and leaves" with a Koala on the cover that was popular.
Snirt, I loved that book, too. I even have the fancy illustrated edition. Purchased for $1 at the used book sale, naturally. Please tell your mom I said "hi".

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2754 on: March 20, 2023, 12:57:56 PM »
I am “literally” fed up with the word.

Especially when it's pronounced "litrally."  Grrrr...

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2755 on: September 23, 2023, 09:37:06 PM »
I just found out I've been pronouncing "Victuals" incorrectly for my entire life. 

Granted, it's not a word I use routinely, but what the heck? 

How do you guys say Victuals?  (before googling it)?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2756 on: September 24, 2023, 01:46:38 AM »
I just found out I've been pronouncing "Victuals" incorrectly for my entire life. 

I honestly thought victuals and vittles had different meanings.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2757 on: September 24, 2023, 04:09:41 AM »
I think I learned 'vittles' in English... ah, Dickens, Great Expectations I think.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2758 on: September 24, 2023, 07:30:25 AM »
Granny cooked vittles, and sometimes varmits if they were in her kitchen. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2759 on: September 24, 2023, 08:43:05 AM »
Looks like I've been pronouncing it wrong (in my head, never used it in conversation) as well... Now I'm not even certain if I've heard it used in conversation before.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2760 on: September 24, 2023, 06:46:18 PM »
I never wished "vittles"/"victuals" would go away because I don't recall hearing either of them until this thread. But, yeah, they can go away again. I'm OK forgetting all about them.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2761 on: September 24, 2023, 06:51:34 PM »

Same here. 
There was a small diner near where I lived in Georgia called "Vittles".  We used to see Newt Gingrich there on Sunday mornings.  It was really unhealthy food. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2762 on: September 24, 2023, 08:43:42 PM »

Same here. 
There was a small diner near where I lived in Georgia called "Vittles".  We used to see Newt Gingrich there on Sunday mornings.  It was really unhealthy food.

There used to be "tender vittles " cat food too. I was aware of "Victuals" from books but didn't realize they were pronounced the same. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2763 on: September 24, 2023, 08:58:30 PM »

Same here. 

There used to be "tender vittles " cat food too. I was aware of "Victuals" from books but didn't realize they were pronounced the same.

I have never actually used either word, but I assumed "victuals" was to "vittles" as "I am going to" was to "I'mgonna".

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2764 on: September 25, 2023, 04:34:18 AM »

Same here. 

I have never actually used either word, but I assumed "victuals" was to "vittles" as "I am going to" was to "I'mgonna".

It is the same word with the same meaning.

This happens sometimes with less common, old words that are spelled very differently than they are pronounced. Usually one version takes over eventually, but not in this case.

Back in the day when illiteracy was common, certain words were known only by sound in some populations and in writing in others.

The word "Apron" is a good example. It was always "napron" because it hangs from the nape of your neck. However, if you say "a napron" it sounds like "an apron" and aprons weren't used much by the reading class, so the phonetic version took over and the original disappeared, and then when everyone learned to read, the more common version "apron" was accepted and transcribed and accepted as the correct version.

Same with Pea Soup. There was no singular of "pea" in cooking, it was always "peas," hence the alternative name "peas porridge." It was always Peas Soup in writing, but the class of folks that made and ate Peas Soup mostly learned it by sound, and by sound "Peas Soup" sounds like "Pea Soup."

Victuals would have been known by writing by a certain class and "vittles" would have been how the illiterate class thought it was spelled when they learned to read and write.

But chances are that the term victuals/vittles was already phasing out of common use by then, so neither side took over because it was use infrequently enough to not need "one true spelling." The uses of each may have also stayed class divided for a very long time, and from what I understand, the "vittles" version persists largely because it was transported to America and took hold as the norm there.

Which is again a manifestation product of class division of language.

Language was much more variable before we had almost everyone reading the same form of language in books and hearing the same form of language on radio and TV.

We don't have a ton of extant examples of multiple forms of a word surviving because if the word is common enough, one form usually "wins" and becomes what everyone thinks is the "correct" one, even if that version comes from an error, like "apron."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 11:33:03 AM by Metalcat »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2765 on: September 25, 2023, 11:20:55 AM »

Same here. 

It is the same word with the same meaning.

This happens sometimes with less common, old words that are spelled very differently than they are pronounced. Usually one version takes over eventually, but not in this case.

Back in the day when illiteracy was common, certain words were known only by sound in some populations and in writing in others.

I'm looking forward to the day when all words with silent "b"s are rewritten. 
Debt
Subtle
doubt

I suppose we'll start writing more like we text though. 
Prolly

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2766 on: September 25, 2023, 11:35:05 AM »
Debt
Subtle
doubt

Prolly

"Could of" is already becoming normalized.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2767 on: September 25, 2023, 12:35:41 PM »
Debt
Subtle
doubt

Prolly

I think you mean coulda'.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2768 on: September 25, 2023, 01:33:40 PM »
Debt
Subtle
doubt

Prolly

lol, no, I mean "could of." Everyone knows "coulda" is a colloquial short form, but an enormous amount of the population believe that "could of" is correct.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2769 on: September 25, 2023, 05:34:28 PM »
Debt
Subtle
doubt

Prolly

lol, no, I mean "could of." Everyone knows "coulda" is a colloquial short form, but an enormous amount of the population believe that "could of" is correct.

Yes, "could of" and "would of" both drive me absolutely bonkers!

Another one that I see more and more is people using "an" instead of "and" (i.e. Bob an Michelle were eating dinner, or they were eating steak an fries for dinner.  Initially I thought they were just typos but when I see people doing it multiple times throughout what they are writing (and multiple people doing it for that matter), I no longer believe it is a typo.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2770 on: September 25, 2023, 07:37:09 PM »
Debt
Subtle
doubt

Prolly

Yes, "could of" and "would of" both drive me absolutely bonkers!

Another one that I see more and more is people using "an" instead of "and" (i.e. Bob an Michelle were eating dinner, or they were eating steak an fries for dinner.  Initially I thought they were just typos but when I see people doing it multiple times throughout what they are writing (and multiple people doing it for that matter), I no longer believe it is a typo.

Interesting, I haven't seen that one, at least not enough to not automatically mistake it for a typo.
Surely though, even if it is intentional, the writer is aware that the word is "and." They're just using a quirky short form similar to Bob 'n  Michelle, I would imagine.

Whereas the "could of/would of" folks seem to genuinely believe that it is correct and don't realize that the sound "could've" is a contraction of "could have."

People who read a lot tend to mispronounce words and people who don't read a lot tend to phonetically misspell words.

"Could of" is a classic phonetic misspelling because that's exactly what the phrase sounds like, but it's a dead giveaway that the person doesn't read much.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2771 on: September 27, 2023, 01:53:11 PM »
@Metalcat your break down’ve could of seems to apply just as aptly to phonetically spelling peanut butter an jelly.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2772 on: September 27, 2023, 02:20:39 PM »
@Metalcat your break down’ve could of seems to apply just as aptly to phonetically spelling peanut butter an jelly.

I'm just having a hard time imagining anyone who can spell "peanut butter" and "jelly" not knowing the correct spelling of "and."

The phonetic spelling I was describing was for when people don't actually know how to spell something properly, which is how phonetic versions like "vittles," "an apron," and "could of" come to be, because enough people truly believe those spellings are correct and they become the norm.

Not that "could of" is a norm yet, but it's rapidly getting there.

"An" is being spelled phonetically, but the same way "'n" would be, like "peanut butter 'n jelly." I imagine "an" has arisen to replace "'n" because although it's easy to write "'n" on paper, it actually takes a lot longer to type it out.

It's like the difference between "could of," which is a phonetically based error and "coulda," which is a phonetically based abbreviation.

A lot of text-speak is abbreviations, so "an" could be similar to "u/ur" in place of "you/your." Where the person writing it is abbreviating because it's a casual text exchange, but would never write that way in a formal professional context.

Meanwhile, the "could of" folks legitimately believe that's correct, and their version could become so common that it becomes accepted over time.

There's a huge difference between errors that take over, like "an apron" or "vittles," and a casual version of a normal spelling like "coulda" or "u."

Just because both are influenced by how the word sounds doesn't make them the same phenomenon. It all comes down to whether the majority of writers using it know the correct spelling in the first place.

Virtually no one who knows "could of" is wrong would ever write "could of." But plenty of people who know how to spell "you" will type it as "u" in a casual context.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 02:22:16 PM by Metalcat »