Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611866 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #1600 on: January 25, 2021, 09:41:36 AM »
Today, on this very forum: "buku bucks". Argh!!!

I suppose it should be Buku bucks?  Whatever Buku is?

Or did they mean beaucoup?  Which is not pronounced buku.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1601 on: January 25, 2021, 09:47:13 AM »

Or did they mean beaucoup?  Which is not pronounced buku
Exactly.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1602 on: January 25, 2021, 10:19:22 AM »

How about "sposta" ? "I'm sposta be in court but I've had this toothache for two weeks that needs emergency attention right now"

I've heard people say "sposed to" instead of "supposed to."

And I've heard them say "I hafta ..."

I can live with people saying those.  It's when they spell them like that.  . . Aargg.

HA! I'm from Newfoundland. My phone has learned where to correctly place the apostrophe in s'pose and b'y. You'll drag both from my cold dead hand.  : )

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1603 on: January 25, 2021, 10:28:28 AM »

Exactly.

I’m still confused. What are beaucoup bucks? Are they trying to say “a lot of money”, but mixing English slang with French?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1604 on: January 25, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »

Exactly.

I’m still confused. What are beaucoup bucks? Are they trying to say “a lot of money”, but mixing English slang with French?
Apparently so: https://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-day/beaucoup-2020-01-09/

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1605 on: January 25, 2021, 12:48:01 PM »

Exactly.

Yes. This is something my mom and her relatives said a lot when I was growing up. She pronounced it "buku" but knew it was spelled "beaucoup". She is from NYC.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1606 on: January 25, 2021, 02:12:45 PM »

Or did they mean beaucoup?  Which is not pronounced buku.

I always assumed it was  beaucoup. That’s how it sounds when I hear it. Is that not the case?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1607 on: January 25, 2021, 02:26:21 PM »

Exactly.

Yes. This is something my mom and her relatives said a lot when I was growing up. She pronounced it "buku" but knew it was spelled "beaucoup". She is from NYC.

People play with words.  When I was a kid we would say mercy buckets, our fun English known mispronunciation of Merci beaucoup.  Usually for sarcasm.

And autocratic carrot (autocorrect being weird) thinks beaucoup should be spelled backup.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1608 on: January 25, 2021, 03:24:44 PM »
autocratic carrot

... Did your autocorrect just turn "autocarrot" into a new nickname for Trump, the orangest dictator? LOL.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1609 on: January 25, 2021, 04:42:48 PM »
autocratic carrot

... Did your autocorrect just turn "autocarrot" into a new nickname for Trump, the orangest dictator? LOL.

Naw, someone elsewhere had trouble with it and ended up with autocarrot.  Then autocarrot turned autocarrot into autocratic,  but I wanted to keep the carrot.  I had to fix those first 2 autocarrots, you know what they turned into.  ;-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1610 on: January 26, 2021, 06:45:56 AM »

Exactly.

People play with words.  When I was a kid we would say mercy buckets, our fun English known mispronunciation of Merci beaucoup.  Usually for sarcasm.

And autocratic carrot (autocorrect being weird) thinks beaucoup should be spelled backup.
I'd forgotten that one! That trip wire led my brain to "Mairzy Doats", which now won't leave my head. Because this snippet of a nonsense song dates from the forties, even before my time, I've included the lyrics:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?

Hint: say it aloud. Bonus points if you can sing it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1611 on: January 26, 2021, 06:51:13 AM »

Exactly.

I'd forgotten that one! That trip wire led my brain to "Mairzy Doats", which now won't leave my head. Because this snippet of a nonsense song dates from the forties, even before my time, I've included the lyrics:

OH FUCK OFF!!!!

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS FOR ME TO GET THAT FUCKING EAR WORM OUT OF MY HEAD!!??????

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

[Note: it's 100% Dickey's fault if this tips me into becoming a full on sociopath BTW.]

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1612 on: January 26, 2021, 08:09:38 AM »

Exactly.

A friend's choir sang it one year for Christmas singalongs at seniors residences.  So I sang with her for practice.  It's weird to sing, you want to say it "properly".

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1613 on: January 26, 2021, 08:10:37 AM »
[quote  ... [/quote]

That's because it's meant as a passive aggressive signal for consensus. It's a fantastic linguistic tool for pushing people to essentially agree when they are hesitant to. I used it all the time with patients, because to disagree means to clarify that you do understand, but don't agree, and that creates a lot of conversational friction.

It's a pain in the ass to the listener, but an effective tool for the speaker if they are looking to subtly control the conversation.
[/quote]

So that's why it often sounds bossy to me and I could never quite put my finger on why. On the other hand, depending on the speaker, and especially when overused, sometimes it sounds to me like a nervous person looking for reassurance.
[/quote]

[/quote]
I always took "you know what I mean" to be a slightly annoying verbal tic meant to fill silence, nothing diabolical. A regional variant is "dontcha know"
[/quote]

Oh, it's definitely that for some people.

Something I can't stand that I feel like started with Barack Obama (someone I otherwise admire) is starting off sentences, typically responses to questions, with "Listen".  Yeah, don't tell me what to do!  I asked you a question, I am not gonna NOT listen to your answer!

I found it sensible on those occasions when someone is being disingenuous with their question or is being sarcastic or something and the "Listen" is meant to imply something to the effect of "Let's not play these games; here's the bottom line . . . "  But when you start off nearly every response with "Listen"(Nate Silver does this a lot as well, on his podcast) it starts to grate on me, like they think the questioner is always being disingenuous and they are constantly in a defensive posture.
[/quote]

I agree with this!  I remember Rush Limbaugh and others of his ilk who would answer questions this way.  To me it was a figurative hand-waving away of the original question so that they could re-direct the answer to something they wanted to say.  I've noticed many politicians do this too. 
Limbaugh also had another verbal trick where he'd say something like, "Listen, it's simple, ....."  and then present "facts" in a black and white way, no gray areas or subtleties or complications and his audience ate it up.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:12:30 AM by LaineyAZ »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1614 on: January 26, 2021, 08:22:45 AM »
[quote  ...

That's because it's meant as a passive aggressive signal for consensus. It's a fantastic linguistic tool for pushing people to essentially agree when they are hesitant to. I used it all the time with patients, because to disagree means to clarify that you do understand, but don't agree, and that creates a lot of conversational friction.

It's a pain in the ass to the listener, but an effective tool for the speaker if they are looking to subtly control the conversation.

So that's why it often sounds bossy to me and I could never quite put my finger on why. On the other hand, depending on the speaker, and especially when overused, sometimes it sounds to me like a nervous person looking for reassurance.

I always took "you know what I mean" to be a slightly annoying verbal tic meant to fill silence, nothing diabolical. A regional variant is "dontcha know"

Oh, it's definitely that for some people.

Something I can't stand that I feel like started with Barack Obama (someone I otherwise admire) is starting off sentences, typically responses to questions, with "Listen".  Yeah, don't tell me what to do!  I asked you a question, I am not gonna NOT listen to your answer!

I found it sensible on those occasions when someone is being disingenuous with their question or is being sarcastic or something and the "Listen" is meant to imply something to the effect of "Let's not play these games; here's the bottom line . . . "  But when you start off nearly every response with "Listen"(Nate Silver does this a lot as well, on his podcast) it starts to grate on me, like they think the questioner is always being disingenuous and they are constantly in a defensive posture.

I agree with this!  I remember Rush Limbaugh and others of his ilk who would answer questions this way.  To me it was a figurative hand-waving away of the original question so that they could re-direct the answer to something they wanted to say.  I've noticed many politicians do this too. 
Limbaugh also had another verbal trick where he'd say something like, "Listen, it's simple, ....."  and then present "facts" in a black and white way, no gray areas or subtleties or complications and his audience ate it up.

You know what else is simple? Quoting.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1615 on: January 26, 2021, 08:29:48 AM »
[People play with words.  When I was a kid we would say mercy buckets, our fun English known mispronunciation of Merci beaucoup.  Usually for sarcasm.

OH FUCK OFF!!!!

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS FOR ME TO GET THAT FUCKING EAR WORM OUT OF MY HEAD!!??????

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

[Note: it's 100% Dickey's fault if this tips me into becoming a full on sociopath BTW.]
A-HAHAHAHA!  Sorry folks, our beloved, borderline sociopath @Malcat has won all the bonus points for today.

And who the fuck is Dickey? I want all the credit for driving you over the edge, not that Dick asshole.

At least I know my earworm and I are in good excellent outstanding company. Thanks for that, Malcat.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1616 on: January 26, 2021, 08:35:42 AM »
[People play with words.  When I was a kid we would say mercy buckets, our fun English known mispronunciation of Merci beaucoup.  Usually for sarcasm.

OH FUCK OFF!!!!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

A-HAHAHAHA!  Sorry folks, our beloved, borderline sociopath @Malcat has won all the bonus points for today.

And who the fuck is Dickey? I want all the credit for driving you over the edge, not that Dick asshole.

At least I know my earworm and I are in good excellent outstanding company. Thanks for that, Malcat.

God damn autocorrect, but it was apropos, 'cuz you're a total dick for doing that, lol.

Oh and THANKS TO YOU I will now have "Girl From Ipanema" in my head for fucking WEEKS as it's the only auditory neurological poison powerful enough to drown out the Gitmo-grade torture of the monstrosity you triggered in my temporal cortex.

Kiss my tall and tan and young and lovely ass!

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1617 on: January 26, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
I'll be honest, some grammar stuff goes over my head and I don't see what the issue is and then other things (that are perhaps simple/unimportant to others) grate me to no end.

Sorry to pick on a single person, @Malcat but your example using apropos in the last post made me pause and think.  I've heard apropos is not synonymous with appropriate but I admit I don't have the full grasp on how they're different.  Maybe this has changed and is now more acceptable to use appropriate and apropos more interchangeably?  Or it could be a regional thing?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1618 on: January 26, 2021, 10:57:27 AM »
I'll be honest, some grammar stuff goes over my head and I don't see what the issue is and then other things (that are perhaps simple/unimportant to others) grate me to no end.

Sorry to pick on a single person, @Malcat but your example using apropos in the last post made me pause and think.  I've heard apropos is not synonymous with appropriate but I admit I don't have the full grasp on how they're different.  Maybe this has changed and is now more acceptable to use appropriate and apropos more interchangeably?  Or it could be a regional thing?

They're very similar, but not exactly the same.

Apropos is to be appropriate to a situation. So it's appropriate to the situation that autocorrect put "Dick" into Dicey's name in my psycho ranting post.

But I wouldn't say the following: "it's not apropos to call Dicey a Dick for infecting me with an ear worm from hell because that's rude and she's my friend"

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1619 on: January 26, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »
It's probably been listed already, maybe even by me: "walla" both spoken and written for "voilŕ."

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1620 on: January 26, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »

Apropos is to be appropriate to a situation. So it's appropriate to the situation that autocorrect put "Dick" into Dicey's name in my psycho ranting post.

But I wouldn't say the following: "it's not apropos to call Dicey a Dick for infecting me with an ear worm from hell because that's rude and she's my friend"
thank you for making me giggle out loud.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1621 on: January 26, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »
The American use of "anymore" to mean "nowadays" is confusing and strange to me

On the other hand, I love using the phrase "come with" which is probably the same type of thing.

I live in Minnesota which is probably the world capital of "come with" and "go with", and my German teachers pointed out that that structure would be grammatically correct in German, Swedish and Norwegian, which were the major immigrant groups to Minnesota. (This is also the source of the long vowels of the typical Minnesota accent, dooonchaah knoow?)

I'll also notice people in Wisconsin/Minnesota using the verb "borrow" for both borrowing and lending, as there is no distinction in German. Not sure about Norwegian and Swedish, but I would guess it's the same deal.  It's usually older folks doing it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1622 on: January 26, 2021, 01:38:31 PM »

You'd think I wrote the damn song!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1623 on: January 26, 2021, 01:50:02 PM »

Do we have conclusive evidence that you didn't? I've never seen any, so I'm as yet unconvinced.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1624 on: January 26, 2021, 02:34:01 PM »
The American use of "anymore" to mean "nowadays" is confusing and strange to me

On the other hand, I love using the phrase "come with" which is probably the same type of thing.

I live in Minnesota which is probably the world capital of "come with" and "go with", and my German teachers pointed out that that structure would be grammatically correct in German, Swedish and Norwegian, which were the major immigrant groups to Minnesota. (This is also the source of the long vowels of the typical Minnesota accent, dooonchaah knoow?)

I'll also notice people in Wisconsin/Minnesota using the verb "borrow" for both borrowing and lending, as there is no distinction in German. Not sure about Norwegian and Swedish, but I would guess it's the same deal.  It's usually older folks doing it.

This was literally my first lesson in English class upon moving to Minnesota mid-school-year and, not gonna lie, I was appalled at first. I'm pretty scrupulous about lend vs loan, too, which puts me distinctly in the minority here.

I think you're right about it being older folks, I haven't heard it from kids or even folks my own (middle) age in a long time.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1625 on: January 26, 2021, 02:38:46 PM »
All this poorly executed cultural appropriation of the French language is making me very upset, another specialty of ours. You anglos need to stick to your own damn words.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1626 on: January 26, 2021, 03:25:00 PM »
All this poorly executed cultural appropriation of the French language is making me very upset, another specialty of ours. You anglos need to stick to your own damn words.
Eh, the French borrow plenty of English words too.

Le week-end
Le camping
Le parking
Le wi-fi

Probably a whole lot more, as I don't know that much French.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1627 on: January 26, 2021, 03:42:27 PM »
English is basically a collection of words borrowed from other languages, not just French.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1628 on: January 26, 2021, 04:01:30 PM »
English is basically a collection of words borrowed from other languages, not just French.
Most languages are this way - particularly ones with origins in Europe. It’s not just English borrowing from others, language has been a multidirectional Highway for millennia.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1629 on: January 26, 2021, 04:18:34 PM »

You should hear kids in Quebec who are neither francophone nor anglophone  They can pop French, English and language #3 into one sentence.   ;-)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1630 on: January 26, 2021, 04:35:06 PM »

You should hear kids in Quebec who are neither francophone nor anglophone  They can pop French, English and language #3 into one sentence.   ;-)

"Maman! Maman! Check ça! Check ça! Oh c'est cute lŕ! C'est cute non?"

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1631 on: January 26, 2021, 04:41:40 PM »
Je likey sur Facebook!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1632 on: January 26, 2021, 05:37:48 PM »

Do we have conclusive evidence that you didn't? I've never seen any, so I'm as yet unconvinced.
If you ever heard me sing, you'd need no further convincing. In a true sign of my love for you, I promise I'll never sing to you. You may think seeing is believing, but I assure you, hearing is believing, lol.

Also, I may be old to some of you young whippersnappers, but I wasn't gracing this earth in the early 1940's when it first became popular. What became popular in the forties? Why it's Mairzy Doats and...

Now get off my lawn! The goats are hungry!!! They haven't had this much of a workout in years.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1633 on: January 26, 2021, 06:04:17 PM »

"Maman! Maman! Check ça! Check ça! Oh c'est cute lŕ! C'est cute non?"
For extra credit, alternate putting a space before the exclamation mark, like this:

"Maman! Maman! Check ça ! Check ça! Oh c'est cute lŕ! C'est cute non ?"

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1634 on: January 26, 2021, 07:47:47 PM »

If you ever heard me sing, you'd need no further convincing. In a true sign of my love for you, I promise I'll never sing to you. You may think seeing is believing, but I assure you, hearing is believing, lol.

Also, I may be old to some of you young whippersnappers, but I wasn't gracing this earth in the early 1940's when it first became popular. What became popular in the forties? Why it's Mairzy Doats and...

Now get off my lawn! The goats are hungry!!! They haven't had this much of a workout in years.

I'm butting in here again with an even older one (1840's???) and some jam for the goats:

Caesar adsum iam forte, Brutus ad erat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus in... I can't remember the last word, help me out here.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1635 on: January 26, 2021, 10:27:51 PM »

I'm butting in here again with an even older one (1840's???) and some jam for the goats:

Caesar adsum iam forte, Brutus ad erat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus in... I can't remember the last word, help me out here.
Brutus sic in at. Dog Latin. I only know this because of Google, but it made me miss my dad. He was a graduate of Cambridge High and Latin School. He surely could have completed it from memory. I miss him. RIP, "Pops".

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1636 on: January 27, 2021, 05:31:59 AM »

Brutus sic in at. Dog Latin. I only know this because of Google, but it made me miss my dad. He was a graduate of Cambridge High and Latin School. He surely could have completed it from memory. I miss him. RIP, "Pops".

That's a sweet story about your dad. My Latin teacher was cool. She caught me with a boy in the stairwell once and didn't tell on me, after the assistant principal had threatened to expel me for something similar. She just took me aside and said "don't be frivolous". I worked harder in her class than any of the others after that, and even majored in Classics one of the times I went to college. I can't remember much real Latin now.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1637 on: January 28, 2021, 03:53:37 AM »
Dangling modifiers

Mr Codd was speaking to Channel 9 this morning about a tragic incident in Brisbane, where a 17-year old allegedly stole a Toyota LandCruiser, ran a red light, collided with a truck, and fatally struck two pedestrians while walking their dog – all while allegedly under the influence of drugs.

That's a hell of a dog walk.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1638 on: January 28, 2021, 07:23:02 AM »
"low and behold"

It seems that people don't know that "lo" is a word... a word that has a meaning entirely different from "low." People who write "low" are announcing to the world that they don't read, or at least that there's minimal variety in their reading.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1639 on: January 28, 2021, 08:08:35 AM »
"low and behold"

It seems that people don't know that "lo" is a word... a word that has a meaning entirely different from "low."

All true, but...  when is the last time you heard someone use the word "lo" who was not reciting a play or literature or scripture or saying "lo and behold"?

It's one of those words which is almost never used outside that specific expression. 

Come to think of it, the entire expression "Lo and Behold!" doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 
Lo: an expression used to draw attention to something
Behold: To see or observe

Together it should be "hey, look at that!" but in practice it's used to express surprise or awe, often in a humorous way.  Typically the speaker isn't asking the listener to observe ('behold') anything.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1640 on: January 29, 2021, 11:46:09 AM »
"low and behold"

It seems that people don't know that "lo" is a word... a word that has a meaning entirely different from "low." People who write "low" are announcing to the world that they don't read, or at least that there's minimal variety in their reading.
I always think of cattle when I see that.

"low and behold"

It seems that people don't know that "lo" is a word... a word that has a meaning entirely different from "low."
Together it should be "hey, look at that!" but in practice it's used to express surprise or awe, often in a humorous way.  Typically the speaker isn't asking the listener to observe ('behold') anything.
Could it be they're mooing (lowing) to get your attention so they can show you something??

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1641 on: January 31, 2021, 10:40:21 AM »
"low and behold"

"low and behold"

Could it be they're mooing (lowing) to get your attention so they can show you something??

For all intense and purpose, yes!

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1642 on: January 31, 2021, 10:53:17 AM »
"low and behold"

"low and behold"

For all intense and purpose, yes!

No, no, it's "for all intensive purposes"!! /s

And yes, I will forever think of cows now when I read "low and behold." Haha!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1643 on: January 31, 2021, 01:00:41 PM »
Are you sure it’s not in tents and porpoises?  Thought I have to admit, I could never understand why dolphins would be in tents...

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1644 on: February 02, 2021, 10:16:16 PM »
I've reached my limit with "So grateful to/for/because" followed by either a humblebrag or a flex.

I think I'm also done with "humblebrag" and "flex" although I'm torn on "flex" - it does seem to be an efficient way of capturing some of the subtleties of dominant/alpha behavior.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1645 on: February 02, 2021, 10:21:24 PM »
I've reached my limit with "So grateful to/for/because" followed by either a humblebrag or a flex.

I think I'm also done with "humblebrag" and "flex" although I'm torn on "flex" - it does seem to be an efficient way of capturing some of the subtleties of dominant/alpha behavior.

Yes yes yes yes yes...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1646 on: February 02, 2021, 10:22:50 PM »

The flip side of this: empty enthusiastic expressions for completely banal interactions.

"Here is your coffee"
"Thank you sooo much, I really appreciate it"

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1647 on: February 02, 2021, 10:51:57 PM »

I think LinkedIn should be illegal. It's probably the worst thing to have come out of America. Worse than Donald Trump.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1648 on: February 02, 2021, 11:25:43 PM »
Oh, come on now. Facebook is way, way worse than LinkedIn. I find LinkedIn reasonably useful, but I don’t go on it much. What drives me most nuts about LinkedIn is when people start posting stuff that really should be on Facebook. Or worse yet, stuff that really shouldn’t even be on Facebook or even spoken out loud or perhaps not even thought about except to dismiss it as irrational BS.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1649 on: February 03, 2021, 01:08:24 AM »
LinkedIn is worse because the people on it who flex and show off are otherwise intelligent, sane professionals.