Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 613518 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #1700 on: February 11, 2021, 03:15:34 AM »

Yes - I am a grammar Na-, er, stickler

Don't lawyers have to be careful with words?   I'm assuming you have read and appreciated Eats, shoots and leaves.
Not just careful with words, careful with commas, too!
Wow, what a story!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1701 on: February 11, 2021, 07:37:51 AM »

Don't lawyers have to be careful with words?   I'm assuming you have read and appreciated Eats, shoots and leaves.

There are two types of people in the world: people who use the Oxford comma and people who are wrong.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1702 on: February 11, 2021, 08:00:50 AM »

It's interesting that the article (and presumably the case) hinged only on the comma. Whereas if the gerund had been used (distributing rather than distribution) consistent with the rest of the paragraph, it would also have been a lot clearer as well as correct. While there may be disputes about the essentialism of the Oxford comma, no one disputes that proper grammar requires use of the same tense throughout a series. Indeed the revision to the law included that change.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1703 on: February 11, 2021, 08:25:44 AM »
I don't often use the Oxford comma, as I find it clunky. If a list really requires the Oxford comma for clarity, I'll be tempted to rearrange the items or to bring out the big gun, the semicolon. I try to avoid commas where possible. Two simple clauses I will join with a bare conjunction - no comma. And generally I find dashes and semicolons and parentheses often work better than a comma. Just a stylistic choice obviously.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1704 on: February 11, 2021, 08:39:52 AM »
"I seen it."

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1705 on: February 11, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »
I don't often use the Oxford comma, as I find it clunky. If a list really requires the Oxford comma for clarity, I'll be tempted to rearrange the items or to bring out the big gun, the semicolon. I try to avoid commas where possible. Two simple clauses I will join with a bare conjunction - no comma. And generally I find dashes and semicolons and parentheses often work better than a comma. Just a stylistic choice obviously.

That's the other change the made in the law in the linked article, after the dispute was resolved.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1706 on: February 11, 2021, 08:59:47 AM »

Doesn't like commas. Uses 3 commas to explain why.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1707 on: February 11, 2021, 12:05:15 PM »

I like the Oxford comma, but then I am a dinosaur (not really).  Dashes are great in casual writing but I doubt they are acceptable in legal issues and legislation.

We don't learn it in English class, but I have seen there are lists of which adjectives should be used before/after others.  I can see the point.  Is the woman in Santana's song a black woman who practices magic, or a woman who practices black magic?   After all she is a black magic woman.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1708 on: February 11, 2021, 12:56:47 PM »

Cut him some slack . . . he may just be deep into a new bottle

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #1709 on: February 11, 2021, 02:19:20 PM »

Bloop Bloop doesn’t like the Oxford comma. They didn’t use a single Oxford comma in their explanation. Bloop Bloop never said they didn’t like commas in general.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1710 on: February 11, 2021, 02:20:32 PM »

Bloop Bloop doesn’t like the Oxford comma. They didn’t use a single Oxford comma in their explanation. Bloop Bloop never said they didn’t like commas in general.

That's what I first thought, but Bloop did say in the above quote "I try to avoid using commas where possible"

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #1711 on: February 11, 2021, 02:42:40 PM »

That's what I first thought, but Bloop did say in the above quote "I try to avoid using commas where possible"

My bad. I thought the whole paragraph was about the Oxford comma.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1712 on: February 11, 2021, 08:37:39 PM »
It's "St. Paddy's Day" not "St. Patty's Day."   

Paddy = Patrick; Patty = Patricia.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1713 on: February 15, 2021, 07:54:10 AM »

Reminds me of a poster my HS history teach had on his wall:  "Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else"

I consult on and teach project management techniques.  I often hear how what is required is not possible because this person's project is unique. It's literally in PMI definition that it is unique.  I always say "yes, you're unique.  You're all unique"  I usually don't hear the chuckles until I finish with "everybody's special"

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1714 on: February 15, 2021, 09:39:45 AM »
“Alot”

Good God in Heaven. It’s “a lot.”

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1715 on: February 15, 2021, 10:33:43 AM »
Adding to the "unique" headaches... something/someone cannot be "very unique" or "pretty unique" or "totally unique." Something is either unique or it isn't. It's not a qualify-able adjective.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1716 on: February 15, 2021, 10:37:34 AM »
“Alot”

I thought Hyperbole and A Half taught us all to adore the lovable Alot.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1717 on: February 15, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »
Adding to the "unique" headaches... something/someone cannot be "very unique" or "pretty unique" or "totally unique." Something is either unique or it isn't. It's not a qualify-able adjective.

That’s just, like, your opinion, man. But, yes that bugs me too.

Almost or nearly unique seems legitimate though as a way of expressing rareness.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1718 on: February 15, 2021, 11:08:06 AM »

That’s just, like, your opinion, man. But, yes that bugs me too.

Almost or nearly unique seems legitimate though as a way of expressing rareness.

Oh, you have a good point! I'm not sure I've ever heard/seen anyone use it that way, but I do think it's valid. I guess you can be "just slightly less than unique" but you can't make the word "unique" even stronger by adding a qualifier.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1719 on: February 16, 2021, 05:36:32 AM »
“Alot”

I just noticed this on another thread today. Eeps! Please remove the fingernails from the chalkboard!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1720 on: February 16, 2021, 06:33:35 AM »
“Alot”

I just noticed this on another thread today. Eeps! Please remove the fingernails from the chalkboard!

But just think, you can post a picture of the Alot every time to straighten people out!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1721 on: February 16, 2021, 07:10:55 AM »
“Alot”

But just think, you can post a picture of the Alot every time to straighten people out!

^exactly!

That's what I was saying above, that comic totally worked on me, I smile now every time I see the typo "alot".

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1722 on: February 16, 2021, 09:22:11 AM »
I hate redundancy.  Especially "exactly the same" or "the same exact thing."  It just bugs me.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1723 on: February 18, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »
I hate redundancy.  Especially "exactly the same" or "the same exact thing."  It just bugs me.

Someone pointed out that you don't have to say "hot water heater" - it's just "water heater."  Hadn't thought about that one.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1724 on: February 18, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »

Someone pointed out that you don't have to say "hot water heater" - it's just "water heater."  Hadn't thought about that one.

I guess that's true.  Shouldn't it be called "cold water heater?"  If the water is already hot, why heat it?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1725 on: February 18, 2021, 10:25:39 AM »

I guess that's true.  Shouldn't it be called "cold water heater?"  If the water is already hot, why heat it?

It's also misleading to sell Hot Pockets. You buy a Cold Pocket and have to add the Hot yourself. Advertising lies!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1726 on: February 18, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »

Depends on how you parse it.
For example, if I were to refer to grandma as the sweater knitter, I wouldn't be corrected with "no, she knits the yarn, and a sweater results".

A hot water heater is like a sweater knitter, the heater creates the hot water. It's the thing that's creating the result you have described.

A cold water heater describes the object of the action of the heating, so it's also correct. More correct than calling grandma a yarn knitter, because knitting doesn't specify the outcome, while heating does.

But both are redundant because water heater alone clearly indicates that it will heat cold water into hot water. So regardless, it's a wasted word.

Thankfully for me, I enjoy redundancy, it's great for the more poetic uses of language. Twelve conjugations of "fuck" in a sentence are far more effective at getting a point across than just one.

"What the fuck?" could be a casual, light hearted question.
But "what the fucking, fuck, fuckballs, fuckery?" really grasps the nuances of someone's utter, ragey disbelief.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:04:51 PM by Malcat »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1727 on: February 18, 2021, 04:15:48 PM »
How about Nother?  as in "that's a whole nother story" 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1728 on: February 19, 2021, 07:00:00 AM »

Man, for a thread about neologisms, we seem to find fault with original usage a lot:
https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2008/11/nother-wise.html

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1729 on: February 19, 2021, 07:42:33 AM »
Man, for a thread about neologisms, we seem to find fault with original usage a lot:
Thanks, that's a fun rabbit hole!

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #1730 on: February 19, 2021, 07:42:52 AM »
Cancel culture should be cancelled phrase imo

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1731 on: February 19, 2021, 08:02:55 AM »
parse

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1732 on: February 19, 2021, 08:10:30 AM »
parse

Clearly someone who never studied linguistics.

Or, someone who really hated studying linguistics, lol.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1733 on: February 21, 2021, 08:33:19 AM »

YASSSS!  I'm totally getting my family with this one!  We're a family of grammar nazis (although, since this thread started, I have stepped off my soap box because I realize just how poor my grammar skills really are).  So I'm using this one against my brother right now.  Thank you!!!

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1734 on: February 21, 2021, 11:24:29 AM »
Can we kill off "we need to change the narrative" now please? 

It's so overused that at this point just hearing those words makes me assume the person speaking them is having a desperate knee jerk emotional reaction and I disregard everything they are saying.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1735 on: February 21, 2021, 03:42:13 PM »
Can we kill off "we need to change the narrative" now please? 

It's so overused that at this point just hearing those words makes me assume the person speaking them is having a desperate knee jerk emotional reaction and I disregard everything they are saying.
Aw, c'mon, doesn't everyone love "Hamilton"?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1736 on: February 23, 2021, 02:55:47 PM »
Enjoy!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1737 on: February 23, 2021, 03:17:21 PM »
Enjoy!

This is gold!

I just have two questions: is "pawn off" purported to be used incorrectly here? I know it's sometimes confused for "palm off" but they're both valid, just slightly different. And what the hell is "Monday world" supposed to be?

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1738 on: February 23, 2021, 03:43:55 PM »
Enjoy!

This is gold!

I just have two questions: is "pawn off" purported to be used incorrectly here? I know it's sometimes confused for "palm off" but they're both valid, just slightly different. And what the hell is "Monday world" supposed to be?
I had the same two questions! I googled and there is apparently debate on whether "pawn off" is a valid expression or an error. I use "pawn off" all the time; maybe I should stop.

"Mundane world" is my best guess for "Monday world", but I don't think that's a common expression, so I could definitely be wrong.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1739 on: February 24, 2021, 08:07:47 AM »
parse

Clearly someone who never studied linguistics.

Or, someone who really hated studying linguistics, lol.

Or, someone taking Compiler Construction.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1740 on: February 24, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »
current one that irritates me:

use of do/doing:
  • Do the kneading of the bread.
  • We're doing the painting of <subject>.
They are learning to speak this way from their teachers and fellow students, in a supposedly A-rated school.

I'm teaching my kids to not use this, instead say:
  • Knead the bread.
  • We're painting <subject>.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1741 on: February 24, 2021, 09:30:26 AM »
Perhaps you should be teaching them to say We are painting <subject>

;-)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1742 on: February 24, 2021, 10:03:07 AM »

;-)

Wait, people want contractions to go away now?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1743 on: February 24, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »

;-)

Wait, people want contractions to go away now?

I love contractions in speech, the words flow more easily.  Written?  Depends on how formal the writing is.  Just get the contractions right!  As in, spell correct won't rescue you from there/their/they're.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1744 on: February 25, 2021, 11:00:01 AM »
Incorrect use of > and <.  It takes a second to realize the intended relationship is the opposite of what was typed.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1745 on: February 25, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
Here’s a weird one: I’ve seen people write “bare with me” about 5 times in the last week. And what’s more, I have seen it spelled correctly exactly zero times in the same period.

Sigh...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1746 on: February 25, 2021, 01:06:17 PM »
Here’s a weird one: I’ve seen people write “bare with me” about 5 times in the last week. And what’s more, I have seen it spelled correctly exactly zero times in the same period.

Sigh...

Maybe they are all heading off to a nudist camp together?     ;-)

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1747 on: February 25, 2021, 01:26:45 PM »

Sigh...

In February?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1748 on: February 25, 2021, 02:12:56 PM »

Sigh...

In February?

You've never met dedicated nudists?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1749 on: February 25, 2021, 03:40:16 PM »

Sigh...

In February?

You've never met dedicated nudists?

The Carribean, Mexico, lots of warm places.   ;-)  or sauna the traditional way.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!