Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611815 times)

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #800 on: January 10, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
Saying old aunt Ida "passed". I have a lot of family members that use this as a pleasant (?) way to say died. For some reason it just really annoys me. I work in cancer care and see lot of sick people who will die, and saying passed doesn't sugar coat it. They died!
They died and now they're dead. I especially hate it when they pronounce "passed" as "past", as in "Uncle George past last night. Ugh!

How would you pronounce "passed" such that it does not sound like "past"? I've never heard them pronounced differently.
Uh, one has a hard "t" sound at the end of it and one doesn't?

This one has me scratching my head, too. I hear/say "past" and "passed" the same way. Same as "last," only the sound of the first letter is different, of course. Dicey, I think you're from the US, right? So am I, and I'm trying to think of a time when I've heard these words pronounced the way you mentioned. Maybe it's a very specific region?
Yes, I am US based. Passed has two esssses and ends with a softer "d". Past has one ess and ends with a crisp "t", so it has a harder sound. Try saying "Pass the potatoes" vs. "Past the potatoes." Then say "At dinner, the potatoes were passed around the table." If you say "past around the table", then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Another one is yes-ti-day instead of yes-ter-day. Ugh, just sounds gross.

I would love you hear you say the two words to see if I could tell a difference. My tongue is incapable of following an "s" with a soft "d". I think you'd be sorely disappointed by the way the word "passed" is pronounced by the entire population of the Southeastern U.S.

Same here. I say "passed" and "past" the same way, as I thought everyone did, and can't hear a difference in those examples. 

The OED gives the same exact pronunciation for both: /pæst/ (or /pɑːst/ for Brits).

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #801 on: January 10, 2019, 06:12:09 PM »
Same here. I say "passed" and "past" the same way, as I thought everyone did, and can't hear a difference in those examples. 

Same here. I have NEVER heard any difference at all in the way those two words are pronounced.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #802 on: January 10, 2019, 06:40:12 PM »
They died and now they're dead. I especially hate it when they pronounce "passed" as "past", as in "Uncle George past last night. Ugh!

How would you pronounce "passed" such that it does not sound like "past"? I've never heard them pronounced differently.

This one has me scratching my head, too. I hear/say "past" and "passed" the same way. Same as "last," only the sound of the first letter is different, of course. Dicey, I think you're from the US, right? So am I, and I'm trying to think of a time when I've heard these words pronounced the way you mentioned. Maybe it's a very specific region?
Yes, I am US based. Passed has two esssses and ends with a softer "d". Past has one ess and ends with a crisp "t", so it has a harder sound. Try saying "Pass the potatoes" vs. "Past the potatoes." Then say "At dinner, the potatoes were passed around the table." If you say "past around the table", then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I would love you hear you say the two words to see if I could tell a difference. My tongue is incapable of following an "s" with a soft "d". I think you'd be sorely disappointed by the way the word "passed" is pronounced by the entire population of the Southeastern U.S.

I've said each word out loud in several different sentences each and trying my best to enunciate I can tell a difference but just barely. I can't imagine noticing the difference in conversation. Maybe if someone was using a microphone and I was standing close to the speakers I could tell?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #803 on: January 10, 2019, 06:43:42 PM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but "Have a good one."

Have a good what?????
I kind of like the ambiguity of that one. I always consider tone in deciding if the speaker is being friendly-ish or wants me to FOAD.

I'm so glad I haven't heard that one!  What about pronouncing "mischievous" mis-CHEE-vee-us?  I feel like that's the most common pronunciation, although there is clearly no i or ee after the v. It's so common, I'm halfway used to it, but still notice (and judge!) when someone pronounces it that way.

OTOH, I'm no saint, as I don't pronounce Wednesday Wed-nes-day. Don't we all just basically say, "Wends-day" (or maybe "Wens-Day")? I just did a bit of googling and see articles about how the d became silent, but I don't think that really covers it, because most people also don't pronounce the e between the n and the s (like that would be "Wen-es-day"?).  It's a more significant departure from the spelling than just one silent letter.

Ooh, you totally got me on that one! I've been mis-reading it all my life. So how is it correctly pronounced? Nevermind, google is my friend. Mind blown.

As for the pronunciation of that day in the middle of the week, who cares? Once you've FIRE, all you need is "today", "tomorrow", and "yesterday".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:09:50 AM by Dicey »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #804 on: January 11, 2019, 07:11:50 AM »
I'm so glad I haven't heard that one!  What about pronouncing "mischievous" mis-CHEE-vee-us?  I feel like that's the most common pronunciation, although there is clearly no i or ee after the v. It's so common, I'm halfway used to it, but still notice (and judge!) when someone pronounces it that way.
As a kid, I always mispronounced mischievous the incorrect way.  As an adult, I say it correctly, but I still think the wrong way sounds better.  Perhaps it's because the wrong pronunciation rhymes with "devious," and those two words go so well with each other.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #805 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but "Have a good one."

Have a good what?????
I kind of like the ambiguity of that one. I always consider tone in deciding if the speaker is being friendly-ish or wants me to FOAD.
I used it when I worked the Drive-thru of a Dairy Queen in high school.  I meant I could build the habit instead of always having to remember to say morning, day, or night (my schedule was not consistent).  Saying "Have a good night." to people at 10am by mistake got old really fast.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #806 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:28 AM »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #807 on: January 11, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »
I saw "warp and woof" in an actual printed book yesterday.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #808 on: January 11, 2019, 12:26:26 PM »
I have been reading various blogs that have pictures that can be enlarged.  When did "Click to biggify" replace "Click to enlarge"?  Biggify?  Really?

Hah. My husband is a software developer and started his career in the early 80s. He and his friends almost always say "embiggen."

I just ignore it. :D

Why? It's a perfectly cromulent word.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #809 on: January 11, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »

"woof" is an equivalent to "weft", so warp and woof = warp and weft -> weaving

Was it a book on weaving?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #810 on: January 12, 2019, 02:39:55 AM »

No, it was being used metaphorically. Is woof seriously a legitimate alternative to weft? I have read several books in which actual weaving features and have never heard it. I assumed it was an eggcorn.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #811 on: January 12, 2019, 04:04:36 AM »
Saying old aunt Ida "passed". I have a lot of family members that use this as a pleasant (?) way to say died. For some reason it just really annoys me. I work in cancer care and see lot of sick people who will die, and saying passed doesn't sugar coat it. They died!

The OED gives the same exact pronunciation for both: /pæst/ (or /pɑːst/ for Brits).

I am with you on this one. !

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #812 on: January 12, 2019, 07:15:53 AM »

No, it was being used metaphorically. Is woof seriously a legitimate alternative to weft? I have read several books in which actual weaving features and have never heard it. I assumed it was an eggcorn.

It is an old usage, but yes.  It probably dates back to when English spelling was wildly variable and so were accents.

Ah, Google gives us an answer
https://www.dailywritingtips.com/woof-or-weft/

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: January 13, 2019, 08:08:18 PM »
Quote from: RetiredAt63
It is an old usage, but yes.  It probably dates back to when English spelling was wildly variable and so were accents.
ah, so little has changed then... :)

LilyFleur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #814 on: January 14, 2019, 01:04:42 AM »
Cali.
Just, no.
I live in an uber-cool California city, and no one I know (from age 13 to 80), says "Cali."

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #815 on: January 14, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »
But LL Cool J is cool! I know, because it says so right in his name. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdizL4on-Rc

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #816 on: March 19, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »
People, when ordering food, who "do" stuff.
"I'll do a burrito bowl with rice, then I'll do black beans, then can I do... X"

instead of "having" or "getting". It's like an activity for them.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #817 on: March 19, 2019, 10:33:32 PM »
Cali.
Just, no.
I live in an uber-cool California city, and no one I know (from age 13 to 80), says "Cali."
Careful now. We have a prominent forum member who says Cali a lot.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #818 on: March 19, 2019, 11:08:16 PM »
Cali.
Just, no.

Are they from here? Cuz I gotta agree... the word just grates on me as a native. If any of my native friends or family used it, I'm pretty sure all the rest of us would wonder wtf was wrong with them and ask if they'd been hit on the head or something.  It's just... weird.

Also Frisco and San Fran for San Francisco. In writing, I use SF and you can say or write the City, but not the other two. As someone who goes solely by my nickname, it's not that I (our anyone else I know) are against nicknames or abbreviations in general. It just doesn't feel right here.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #819 on: March 19, 2019, 11:46:10 PM »
No idea. Paging @spartana

*dips into popcorn bucket*

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #820 on: March 20, 2019, 12:32:11 AM »
Cali.
Just, no.

Are they from here? Cuz I gotta agree... the word just grates on me as a native. If any of my native friends or family used it, I'm pretty sure all the rest of us would wonder wtf was wrong with them and ask if they'd been hit on the head or something.  It's just... weird.

Also Frisco and San Fran for San Francisco. In writing, I use SF and you can say or write the City, but not the other two. As someone who goes solely by my nickname, it's not that I (our anyone else I know) are against nicknames or abbreviations in general. It just doesn't feel right here.
As a native Cali-fornian, yes, yes, yes to all of the above. Although I believe it's "The City", with a tip of the hat and a nod to the late, great Herb Caen. I am glad he didn't live to see/hear the bastardization of our beautiful state's name. Though I'm sure his opinion on the subject would have been quite succinct and entertaining.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #821 on: March 20, 2019, 07:17:35 AM »

This one is so interesting to me.  I'm from a poor area of the rust belt and say PAST and PASSED the same as well.  I also say PULL and POOL the same, regardless of having one friend who is incessantly trying to "help" me pronounce them differently.  Hmmmm 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #822 on: March 20, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »

This one is so interesting to me.  I'm from a poor area of the rust belt and say PAST and PASSED the same as well.  I also say PULL and POOL the same, regardless of having one friend who is incessantly trying to "help" me pronounce them differently.  Hmmmm

Hmmm indeed.  Regional accents are so variable.  I also cannot hear a difference when I say "passed" and "past", but there is a definite difference between "pool" and "pull".  "Pull" rhymes with "full", "pool" doesn't.  "Pool "almost (but not quite)  rhymes with "jewel".

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #823 on: March 20, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
Unfazed/unphased

Unfazed - not fazed
Unphased = out of phase

I keep seeing unphased when it is obvious from context that it should be unfazed.

Drives me nuts.

Also rein/reign.

I'm reading some fanfic and I keep getting distracted by the bad grammar and typos and things like unphased.  It really makes me appreciate the editors of paid-for books.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #824 on: March 20, 2019, 05:18:45 PM »
Unfazed/unphased

Unfazed - not fazed
Unphased = out of phase

I keep seeing unphased when it is obvious from context that it should be unfazed.

Drives me nuts.

Also rein/reign.

I'm reading some fanfic and I keep getting distracted by the bad grammar and typos and things like unphased.  It really makes me appreciate the editors of paid-for books.

I hate these, too.

And also, that almost no one seems to know the difference between tenet and tenant.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #825 on: March 20, 2019, 06:19:19 PM »
Unfazed/unphased

Unfazed - not fazed
Unphased = out of phase

Drives me nuts.

Also rein/reign.

I hate these, too.

And also, that almost no one seems to know the difference between tenet and tenant.

I don't see those mixed up too often.  The one that bugs me in technical papers is quadrant/quadrat.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #826 on: March 20, 2019, 06:32:28 PM »
Unfazed/unphased

Unfazed - not fazed
Unphased = out of phase

Drives me nuts.

Also rein/reign.

I hate these, too.

I don't see those mixed up too often.  The one that bugs me in technical papers is quadrant/quadrat.

Where I mostly see people use "tenant" instead of "tenet" is actually here on these forums.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #827 on: March 20, 2019, 06:38:53 PM »
Cali.
Just, no.

Oh no! Shall I change my user name? I get it though, I would never use the word Cali in regular communication, written or otherwise. And please no on 'San Fran'.

And @Kris ditto on the tenet vs. tenants. When someone says 'tenants of Mustachianism' does that mean they rent property from..Pete? :p

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #828 on: March 20, 2019, 11:09:35 PM »
Cali.
Just, no.

Oh no! Shall I change my user name? I get it though, I would never use the word Cali in regular communication, written or otherwise. And please no on 'San Fran'.

And @Kris ditto on the tenet vs. tenants. When someone says 'tenants of Mustachianism' does that mean they rent property from..Pete? :p
Hmmm, dunno. It's a fake screen name. We also have @Cali Nonya, but she's very busy in a remote corner of the world these days, so you may not have crossed paths with her. I guess I hate it more when it's spoken or stands alone, as in: "We're going to Cali in the morning". Ugh.

And I agree with the tenant/tenet observation. I also giggle when people want to "pay down their principal".

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #829 on: March 21, 2019, 03:54:26 AM »
And I agree with the tenant/tenet observation. I also giggle when people want to "pay down their principal".

Maybe it's a bribe so they don't get detention?   ;-)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #830 on: March 21, 2019, 04:55:37 AM »
The word pantyhose, when I have to say it out loud, makes me cringe so I refer to them as nylons. 

The word smoothie also drives me crazy.  One of my college English professors once railed on the -ie being added to words to baby-fy them, as I must agree.  Undies, smoothies, gag. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #831 on: March 21, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
I guess I hate it more when it's spoken or stands alone, as in: "We're going to Cali in the morning". Ugh.

Do you hate biggie smalls? Specifically this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Qvuxxnqyg

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #832 on: March 21, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »
The word pantyhose, when I have to say it out loud, makes me cringe so I refer to them as nylons. 

The word smoothie also drives me crazy.  One of my college English professors once railed on the -ie being added to words to baby-fy them, as I must agree.  Undies, smoothies, gag.
OMG, never go to the Land Down Under. Brekky, sunnies, and mozzies are just the tip of the iceberg. Gawd, I love that place and hope to return for an extended stay one day.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #833 on: March 21, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »
I guess I hate it more when it's spoken or stands alone, as in: "We're going to Cali in the morning". Ugh.

Do you hate biggie smalls? Specifically this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Qvuxxnqyg
I wish I could say, "Who?", but, yeah, I know who he is, er was. RIP Biggie. I was pretty sure the "Cali" thing came from rap, but was it him specifically? I am so not clicking on that link - I don't need it sticking in my head today.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #834 on: March 21, 2019, 01:55:48 PM »
Perhaps you are thinking of LL Cool J? He was going back to Cali, back in the day.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #835 on: March 21, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »
A lot of rappers have love for california.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #836 on: March 21, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
A lot of rappers have love for california.
Straight Outta Compton. Me too, actually.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #837 on: March 22, 2019, 04:01:11 AM »
I hear people say 'munt' instead of 'month'. UGH!!!!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #838 on: March 22, 2019, 12:18:25 PM »
warn parts

bafoon

ablivian

senerio

^^^

Here are some  misspellings I saw ~1 month ago.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:21:12 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #839 on: March 22, 2019, 12:28:58 PM »
warn parts

bafoon

ablivian

senerio

^^^

Here are some  misspellings I saw ~1 month ago.

Typos, are we worrying about typos as well?  They are a dyme a dozzen, easy to find even in tytles here on the foruums.   ;-)  Plus the standard there/their issues.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #840 on: March 22, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »

tenant/tenet .

I've not seen "tenet" written where "tenant" is correct.

About 6X I have seen "tenant" written where "tenet" is correct.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #841 on: March 22, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
I've not seen "tenet" written where "tenant" is correct.

About 6X I have seen "tenant" written where "tenet" is correct.
My impression is that everyone knows the word "tenant," but (relatively) few have ever seen "tenet."

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #842 on: March 25, 2019, 07:43:50 AM »
OK i got one.  Haven't read the whole thread so don't shoot me if it's already in here.

I hate when people write or say "Based off of.."  It's Based ON..
or "Based out of.."  It's Based IN..

I don't hate it as much as the use of their/them as singular non-gendered pronouns but it's close.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #843 on: March 25, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »
OK i got one.  Haven't read the whole thread so don't shoot me if it's already in here.

I hate when people write or say "Based off of.."  It's Based ON..
or "Based out of.."  It's Based IN..

I don't hate it as much as the use of their/them as singular non-gendered pronouns but it's close.

I am actually starting to appreciate  "they/them " when situations are ambiguous.  It is not great, but the alternatives sound worse, or seem more awkward.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #844 on: March 25, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »

I'm with you. I mentioned this to arebelspy once, and they said I just needed to get used to it.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #845 on: March 25, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »
i brought up the they/them problem with my FIL, who is a college prof department head of technical communication, and asked why the MLA or some authoritative body doesn't make up a new conjugation for non-gender pronouns.  he said the problem right now is that there are so many different pronouns that people want to use, they can't narrow it down without battles.  plus the political will to jump into this morass is not there.  can't say i blame them. 

having been a pretty good grammar student i generally get by on 'his or her' and 'he or she' or 'one', but i've started using 'that human' in informal contexts or just totally rephrasing so i don't put myself in a position to use a pronoun.

eta:  ironically this post is probably full of grammatical errors.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #846 on: March 25, 2019, 09:50:04 PM »

I'm with you. I mentioned this to arebelspy once, and they said I just needed to get used to it.

There's a lot of truth to what @arebelspy said. Everyone just evolve a tiny bit.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #847 on: March 25, 2019, 10:18:45 PM »

There's a lot of truth to what @arebelspy said. Everyone just evolve a tiny bit.

A friend's offspring goes only by their initials and non-specific gender pronouns. It was awkward at first, but it got easier.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #848 on: March 25, 2019, 10:45:19 PM »

I identify as he/him, for what it's worth.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #849 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:31 AM »

i fully support the evolution of language and the use of non-gender pronouns if that's what people want.  no objection to that, but we need a new conjugation, not the appropriation of a conjugation that already has a well established meaning.

i use words like 'complexify' and other verbifications so i'd like to hear some new word for the pronouns.  :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!