Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611820 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #2600 on: July 22, 2022, 12:42:22 PM »

Ha! I have a supersmart friend. So smart, he got his MBA and his JD from two top universities in three years concurrently, by cobbling together his own program. That's some seriously creative DIY. He always thought this word meant the opposite until someone called him out early in his career. I always smile inwardly and think of him (and his wildly successful career) when I hear this word.

Omg, this reminds me of my father, who is well educated and phenomenally well read, but English isn't his first language, so there are a few words floating around in his mental compendium that trip him up. To this day, no matter how many times I correct him, he still thinks that "perfunctory" is somehow related to "perfectionism."

Of course, he likes his own reality better than everyone else's, so it's not so much a matter of him being unable to understand that he's wrong, but more that he's unwilling, and doesn't consider respecting the true meaning of "perfunctory" to be important to him.

He's a character that one. He also likes to lob fake facts into the universe just for fun, it makes talking to him a bit treacherous since he's so incredibly well informed, he can easily hide a made up fact within a long, well supported discourse on anything.
The dude is kind of nuts.

jambongris

• Bristles
Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #2601 on: July 22, 2022, 12:52:46 PM »
Brings back memories of college track. The penultimate step in your high jump approach is critical to set up the final step / jump.

Small tangent:

There is a cocktail made with gin and green Chartreuse called a "Last Word." DH, who loves his cocktails, made a variation on it using yellow Chartreuse. He calls it the "Penultimate Word."
From a crossword I did today:

« Like X in the alphabet. »

Spoiler: show
antepenultimate
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 12:56:06 PM by jambongris »

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2602 on: July 22, 2022, 01:44:31 PM »
Same thing with the word peruse. So many people think it means to quickly review vs. it’s actual meaning of very thoroughly or carefully.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2603 on: July 22, 2022, 01:50:39 PM »
Same thing with the word peruse. So many people think it means to quickly review vs. it’s actual meaning of very thoroughly or carefully.
I just learned something--I thought it meant something similar to "browse"

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2604 on: July 22, 2022, 01:54:01 PM »

Yup, that's why as a store owner, it's super annoying when people peruse and don't buy.
My suspicion is that it's the retail context where it's so often used that makes people think it's the same as "browse."

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2605 on: July 22, 2022, 02:05:33 PM »
Penultimate

Not only have I always had trouble with this word, but when I see others use it I always wonder if they really know the meaning of the word worth or using it incorrectly.

Interesting! I love this word and will use it in mundane situations like "I've taken the penultimate ice cream sandwich".

How are you hearing it used?
so.... did you mean that as you took the second to last sandwich?  excitement to let others know there's one left?  If so, I'll have to start doing that because it sounds fun.

Honestly, I just always thought it was a superlative, rather than what I guess would be an ordinal placement.   I'm not good at words, so I'm sure I'm describing this incorrectly.  But now that I know what it means, I never think anyone else knows the true meaning.  And one of the guys on the TDF commentary keeps using it.  But it's always hard to know exactly what the meaning was...so it's one of those words where you're usually not sure if they're using it wrong. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2606 on: July 22, 2022, 02:15:14 PM »
Brings back memories of college track. The penultimate step in your high jump approach is critical to set up the final step / jump.

Small tangent:

There is a cocktail made with gin and green Chartreuse called a "Last Word." DH, who loves his cocktails, made a variation on it using yellow Chartreuse. He calls it the "Penultimate Word."
Both of these will help me remember the proper usage.   Thanks you!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2608 on: July 23, 2022, 09:28:56 AM »
Penultimate. I remember that word from my Spanish class. As in 'the accent is on the penultimate syllable'.   Meaning 'second to last'.  Pretty straightforward.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2609 on: July 23, 2022, 09:40:31 AM »
Penultimate. I remember that word from my Spanish class. As in 'the accent is on the penultimate syllable'.   Meaning 'second to last'.  Pretty straightforward.
Sure, if you have an explanation in the first place. Or second to last place.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2610 on: July 23, 2022, 09:43:00 AM »
Sure, if you have an explanation in the first place. Or second to last place.

HA!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2611 on: July 24, 2022, 02:59:21 PM »
Penultimate

Not only have I always had trouble with this word, but when I see others use it I always wonder if they really know the meaning of the word worth or using it incorrectly.

Interesting! I love this word and will use it in mundane situations like "I've taken the penultimate ice cream sandwich".

I will admit to believing that penultimate meant 'best' rather than 'second last' for a very long time, and probably used it that way a few times.

Yep, I would say that about 80% of the people I've heard use this term use it to mean "ultimate" as in "the best."

I had one acquaintance who used it all the time with a massive emphasis on the "PEN" part, as if that was what emphasized just how "ultimate" the object of her positive appraisal was.

Huh. This is so weird. I'm not sure I've ever heard it used incorrectly.
Ha! I have a supersmart friend. So smart, he got his MBA and his JD from two top universities in three years concurrently, by cobbling together his own program. That's some seriously creative DIY. He always thought this word meant the opposite until someone called him out early in his career. I always smile inwardly and think of him (and his wildly successful career) when I hear this word.

Speaking of thinking that a word means the opposite, "nonplussed" is one of the biggest examples I can think of it. Almost always when I hear it used in the wild, people mean "unaffected" or "underwhelmed."

I basically never hear it used right either, but I do have sympathy on this word for people that are intuiting or inferring the meaning of something they have just read or heard once or twice in their lives.  Based on normal reasoning, the word should mean "not plussed" but what the hell is "plussed"?  Sounds legitimately like a word that might mean something like bothered or you know, it sounds a lot like fussed, so maybe plussed means something like fussed?  So nonplussed = not fussed!!  A series of inferences, some of which are more fair than others, but at least I can see how someone would get there.

I think I've posted this before, but I hate that I see so many actual writers (like journalists, authors, etc.) that use "bemused" as just a synonym for "amused."  Wouldn't someone who has to use words for a living at least have a moment of, "hmmm, maybe I should look this word up because I'm suspicious that there could actually be a different meaning for a word when you change its letters!"

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2612 on: July 24, 2022, 04:15:16 PM »
Penultimate

I will admit to believing that penultimate meant 'best' rather than 'second last' for a very long time, and probably used it that way a few times.

Yep, I would say that about 80% of the people I've heard use this term use it to mean "ultimate" as in "the best."

I had one acquaintance who used it all the time with a massive emphasis on the "PEN" part, as if that was what emphasized just how "ultimate" the object of her positive appraisal was.

Huh. This is so weird. I'm not sure I've ever heard it used incorrectly.

Speaking of thinking that a word means the opposite, "nonplussed" is one of the biggest examples I can think of it. Almost always when I hear it used in the wild, people mean "unaffected" or "underwhelmed."

I basically never hear it used right either, but I do have sympathy on this word for people that are intuiting or inferring the meaning of something they have just read or heard once or twice in their lives.  Based on normal reasoning, the word should mean "not plussed" but what the hell is "plussed"?  Sounds legitimately like a word that might mean something like bothered or you know, it sounds a lot like fussed, so maybe plussed means something like fussed?  So nonplussed = not fussed!!  A series of inferences, some of which are more fair than others, but at least I can see how someone would get there.

I think I've posted this before, but I hate that I see so many actual writers (like journalists, authors, etc.) that use "bemused" as just a synonym for "amused."  Wouldn't someone who has to use words for a living at least have a moment of, "hmmm, maybe I should look this word up because I'm suspicious that there could actually be a different meaning for a word when you change its letters!"

Yeah, I see that a ton, too.

Also, lately people seem to almost exclusively use “disinterested” when they mean “uninterested.”

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2613 on: July 24, 2022, 04:58:20 PM »

Also, lately people seem to almost exclusively use “disinterested” when they mean “uninterested.”

Huh, I didn't know that one. I absolutely use it wrong.

However, M-W tells me that their meanings used to actually be reversed, with uninterested meaning unbiased and distinterested meaning lack of interest.

I wonder why they switched?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2614 on: July 24, 2022, 05:47:38 PM »

However, M-W tells me that their meanings used to actually be reversed, with uninterested meaning unbiased and distinterested meaning lack of interest.

Sometimes I think it’s just giving in to incorrect usage. Like how definition 2 of “literally” is now “not literally but figuratively.”

So maybe someday, the definition of literally will be “not actually, but in a metaphorical sense.”
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 05:50:20 PM by Kris »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2615 on: July 24, 2022, 06:53:56 PM »

Sometimes I think it’s just giving in to incorrect usage. Like how definition 2 of “literally” is now “not literally but figuratively.”

So maybe someday, the definition of literally will be “not actually, but in a metaphorical sense.”

I wonder if they'll switch back with everyone using disinterested wrong.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2616 on: July 24, 2022, 07:01:41 PM »

This seems similar to how irregardless used to not really be a word since it was just redundant and superfluous in light of "regardless" already meaning the same thing.  But then everyone just gave up and are cool with "irregardless"?

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2617 on: July 24, 2022, 08:14:03 PM »

I’ve literally never heard that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2618 on: July 24, 2022, 08:52:48 PM »

This seems similar to how irregardless used to not really be a word since it was just redundant and superfluous in light of "regardless" already meaning the same thing.  But then everyone just gave up and are cool with "irregardless"?
Who's cool with that word? Not this "everyone".

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2619 on: July 24, 2022, 08:57:25 PM »

Who's cool with that word? Not this "everyone".

Yeah, well I still harbor resentment against it (obviously), but I got the feeling I was losing that battle years ago.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2620 on: July 25, 2022, 04:15:06 AM »

You've never heard someone use "disinterested" to mean that they aren't not interested? Wow. I hear and see it all the time.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2621 on: July 25, 2022, 07:35:07 AM »
so.... did you mean that as you took the second to last sandwich?  excitement to let others know there's one left?  If so, I'll have to start doing that because it sounds fun.

Yes, exactly. The implication being "if you want one act fast". It is fun.

Fun fact! Nonplussed, peruse and literally are all contronyms, in that their accepted meanings include opposites. Nonplussed can mean either puzzled or unbothered (although that's primarily a US vs UK difference), peruse can mean either read thoroughly or skim, and literally either means precisely or figuratively.

No one's wrong, words are fun.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2622 on: July 25, 2022, 12:41:27 PM »

You've never heard someone use "disinterested" to mean that they aren't not interested? Wow. I hear and see it all the time.

No, I meant that I’ve never heard that “literally” now means “figuratively.”

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2623 on: July 25, 2022, 12:49:46 PM »

No, I meant that I’ve never heard that “literally” now means “figuratively.”

See definition 2.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2624 on: August 12, 2022, 11:32:54 AM »
"crisis"
"constitutional crisis"
"existential crisis"
"rule of law"
"witch hunt"
"hoax"
ad infinitum.....

Not just sick of the words, sick of the drama and the lies, and the pathological narcissism which keeps these phrases on the top of the  news cycle.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2625 on: August 12, 2022, 03:06:31 PM »
I may have tossed this in a while ago, but I keep seeing/hearing "utilize" when "use" would do perfectly well. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2626 on: August 12, 2022, 03:09:14 PM »
All of a sudden, "All of THE sudden" has been driving me nuts.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 05:31:08 PM by Dicey »

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2627 on: August 12, 2022, 03:49:29 PM »
I am over “Core memory created”.

Memory does work that way.  Sorry, but it is highly unlikely your diapered butt toddler is going to remember splashing in the rain with dad, and sure as heck isn’t life/personality defining. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2628 on: August 12, 2022, 05:48:29 PM »

Memory does work that way.  Sorry, but it is highly unlikely your diapered butt toddler is going to remember splashing in the rain with dad, and sure as heck isn’t life/personality defining.

I've never heard this. What is it *supposed* to mean?
From your example, is this something parents are jokingly saying about their children's experiences or is it being said in earnest?

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2629 on: August 12, 2022, 06:12:58 PM »

From your example, is this something parents are jokingly saying about their children's experiences or is it being said in earnest?

It's a reference to the Pixar film, "Inside Out." Core memories are memories that the main character builds her identity around. In the beginning of the movie, these are extra-happy memories; over the course of the film she learns that they have sadness to them too, and that's okay.

Whenever she makes one, a giant marble run inside her brain spits out a golden ball and a voice says, "Core memory created."

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2630 on: August 12, 2022, 06:16:12 PM »

It's a reference to the Pixar film, "Inside Out." Core memories are memories that the main character builds her identity around. In the beginning of the movie, these are extra-happy memories; over the course of the film she learns that they have sadness to them too, and that's okay.

Whenever she makes one, a giant marble run inside her brain spits out a golden ball and a voice says, "Core memory created."

Oooooohhhhh...

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2631 on: August 12, 2022, 07:33:20 PM »

TicTokers are saying it in earnest and trying to outdo each other with “core memory” challenges for their kids, hence the flood of toddlers in the rain.  It has also spread to the child free population as well, hearing someone describe spending time with their dog as “core memory created” is actually what caused me to add this - not sure if they meant core memory for themselves or their dog!

Yes to the Inside Out reference. 

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2632 on: August 12, 2022, 08:09:04 PM »

TicTokers are saying it in earnest and trying to outdo each other with “core memory” challenges for their kids, hence the flood of toddlers in the rain.  It has also spread to the child free population as well, hearing someone describe spending time with their dog as “core memory created” is actually what caused me to add this - not sure if they meant core memory for themselves or their dog!

I didn't know about the TikTok challenge but of course it's a TikTok challenge. 🙄 I'm dying about the dog! I love my dog but I have never asked myself whether I'm giving her a life of beautiful memories. 😂 I don't even know what that would be for her. Probably bacon and a nap.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2633 on: August 12, 2022, 08:41:31 PM »

It does for my youngest. If he likes playing in the rain with dad then he will not understand why dad doesn't want to come play with him the next time it rains, and every subsequent time. It has to be dad, or there will be meltdowns. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2634 on: August 13, 2022, 05:42:43 AM »

This makes sense why I have never heard it then. Most of my friends kids aren't "Inside Out" age, and I don't use much social media.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2635 on: August 13, 2022, 06:19:24 AM »

This makes sense why I have never heard it then. Most of my friends kids aren't "Inside Out" age, and I don't use much social media.
Same.

I have zero faith that "creating core memories" in this context is anything but a commercial endeavor. Must take child to MickeyD's, Disneyland, etc, or they won't have strong "core memories" which in turn proves you're a bad parent.

Blech.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2636 on: August 13, 2022, 10:45:43 AM »
“Deliverables” - in the context of “what will you do at work” (or what have you done)

Example:
“What are your deliverables this week, Ted?”

“Well, I’ll finish that contract by Thursday and then pass it on to legal”.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2637 on: August 13, 2022, 11:59:39 AM »
"Deliverables" makes sense in the context of contracts (what needs to be delivered to fulfill the contract). Pretty silly to apply to individuals' work.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2638 on: August 14, 2022, 04:26:35 AM »
"Deliverables" makes sense in the context of contracts (what needs to be delivered to fulfill the contract). Pretty silly to apply to individuals' work.

Agreed.  I first saw the term in grant contracts, but then it’s started to be used on a more individual level

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2639 on: August 14, 2022, 06:18:13 AM »

Agreed.  I first saw the term in grant contracts, but then it’s started to be used on a more individual level

I'm pretty sure "deliverology" was already mentioned in this thread a few years ago, but I thought it was fitting to throw in here.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2640 on: August 16, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »
~~ FOODIE ~~

Eating food is a human necessity.  I find it annoying that our culture has convinced so many people that they have to have a "Passion" for something, and so they create it around something so mundane.  Yes, we can all enjoy food and appreciate the effort that goes into a carefully crafted meal, but I find it hard to believe that SO MANY of us really think we're better at "fooding" than the rest of us.  Most of the people I hear it from aren't the ones who search for fresh ingredients and create meals from them.   They just want an excuse to go out to eat.  And they buy Fresh Express or Blue Apron at home. 

I'd prefer any of the following:

I'm a hedonist and I love nice things.
I'm an air snob.  I travel the world in search of the clearest air available.  You should smell the air on top of Kilimanjaro on a September morning!
I love shopping for useless items in my spare time. 
I buy luxury cars and then resell them to buy a different car a year later.  I'm always on a quest to find the car that makes me feel good about myself.
I'm hoping that money can buy enough material things to fill the empty void in my soul, so I buy a lot of stuff at the mall.
I collect donuts.
My passion is scrolling thru instagram watching other people do cool things.
My hobby is washing and drying my hair and painting it strange colors. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2641 on: August 16, 2022, 08:57:26 AM »
Collecting donuts (or doughnuts) seems like a waste of wonderful food. Best to quickly consume (and thereby dispose of) to ensure maximum deliciousness. Unlike many foods they don’t age well.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2642 on: August 16, 2022, 08:59:33 AM »
My passion is scrolling thru instagram watching other people do cool things.

I should put this in my online dating profile. (Kidding, but only because I don't have an online dating profile).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2643 on: August 16, 2022, 09:22:50 AM »
I'm sick of "happy to" blah blah blah.  I'm sick of myself using it, actually, but I haven't thought of a better way to communicate a solicitousness/sense of generosity I'm trying to hit combined with a suggestion I am making on how to get to next steps.

I'm also weirdly cranky about "Would love" or "would love this" as a complete sentence.  It seems important to leave off the "I" in the front now to achieve the right inflection or something?  At first it felt like an interesting little variation to throw out, but now it's the only way and so cranky old me doesn't find it so cute anymore.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2644 on: August 16, 2022, 12:33:39 PM »
I’m sick of, “We’re so blessed to have/be/experience…”  No, a god didn’t bless you. Maybe you’re lucky. Maybe you worked really hard. Maybe something else. But in the end, you or the people around you or in some cases being on the fortunate side of the cosmic flip of the coin created your situation. I’m good with ‘fortunate’ or ‘grateful’ or ‘gratitude’ (sort of) but the whole ‘blessed’ thing really rubs me the wrong way… like anyone who’s having a hard time just sadly wasn’t ‘blessed’.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2645 on: August 16, 2022, 12:47:24 PM »
I’m sick of, “We’re so blessed to have/be/experience…”  No, a god didn’t bless you. Maybe you’re lucky. Maybe you worked really hard. Maybe something else. But in the end, you or the people around you or in some cases being on the fortunate side of the cosmic flip of the coin created your situation. I’m good with ‘fortunate’ or ‘grateful’ or ‘gratitude’ (sort of) but the whole ‘blessed’ thing really rubs me the wrong way… like anyone who’s having a hard time just sadly wasn’t ‘blessed’.
DH and look at Real Estate listings all the time. Seeing those "Blessed" signs is a complete turn-off. Those are probably the same people whose outgoing message reminds all and sundry to have a "blessed day". Ugh.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2646 on: August 16, 2022, 05:31:13 PM »
DH and look at Real Estate listings all the time. Seeing those "Blessed" signs is a complete turn-off. Those are probably the same people whose outgoing message reminds all and sundry to have a "blessed day". Ugh.

That child in me want to respond: “thanks, but I didn’t sneeze” anytime someone tells me to have a blessed day (or similar).

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2647 on: August 16, 2022, 07:23:11 PM »

That child in me want to respond: “thanks, but I didn’t sneeze” anytime someone tells me to have a blessed day (or similar).

Ha!  A local reporter went on the news and talked about how the sole survivor from the Lightening strike (Washington DC, across from the White House) had received a blessing from God.  A true miracle.  Her heart actually stopped twice and she was resuscitated twice by nurses and then EMTs.  It's not just the word in this case, but I'm pretty sure God had just tried to kill this person (3 others died) and the miracle of science and medicine saved her life!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2648 on: August 16, 2022, 07:48:50 PM »
It's not just the word in this case, but I'm pretty sure God had just tried to kill this person (3 others died) and the miracle of science and medicine saved her life!

Seriously. God must be up there like "How the Hell can I get it through these people's thick skulls that they fucked up?? I keep sending them these terrible warnings and they're all 'Oh thank you! God has blessed me with more hardship to make me stronger'."

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2649 on: August 16, 2022, 11:22:21 PM »
You guys kill me are hilarious. Oops, no sense asking for trouble.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!