Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 167220 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #950 on: October 21, 2021, 06:47:48 PM »
Wow, @mspym that's a real score!!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #951 on: October 21, 2021, 06:58:28 PM »
With no real hope in my heart, I searched for Antique Bakery vol 4 - out of print for 10+ yrs - and there it was, available at my local comic store for $4.95, pick-up. Not very good editions currently go for $60+ so this is just a tiny miracle that also completes a set.

That is awesome!  Yea you!!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #952 on: October 23, 2021, 08:32:45 AM »
Found a friend who wants to go for winter snowshoe hikes. Very happy to have someone keen to do this type of thing. I have old snowshoes..now just need the snow.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #953 on: October 24, 2021, 08:09:26 PM »
My 7-year-old asked if I would make "veggie meatballs" today. I've never made them, but I managed to find a lentil meatball recipe for which I had all the ingredients so I agreed to give it a shot. Amazingly, we all ended up liking them, even my super picky 4-year-old!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #954 on: October 24, 2021, 11:23:38 PM »
Hooked up the photo scanner borrowed from Mom, and it was easy. Then, actually scanned a year's worth of old photos! Feeling very accomplished.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #955 on: October 25, 2021, 07:43:02 AM »
My 7-year-old asked if I would make "veggie meatballs" today. I've never made them, but I managed to find a lentil meatball recipe for which I had all the ingredients so I agreed to give it a shot. Amazingly, we all ended up liking them, even my super picky 4-year-old!
@nessness do you have the recipe?  That sounds wonderful, and I'd love to get my family to eat more meatless meals.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #956 on: October 25, 2021, 12:21:52 PM »
Rode mountain bikes through the north woods, surrounded all around by falling leaves, on a cool sunny day with my 10 y/o DD.  So good!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #957 on: October 25, 2021, 12:36:58 PM »
My husband & I had an amazing long weekend together to celebrate our anniversary, while my parents with the kids. It was so much fun.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #958 on: October 25, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
@nessness do you have the recipe?  That sounds wonderful, and I'd love to get my family to eat more meatless meals.
This is the recipe I used:

https://www.wellplated.com/lentil-meatballs/#wprm-recipe-container-33528

I served them with spaghetti and store-bought marinara. I didn't have fresh parsley so I used dried, but I think they'd be even better with the fresh parsley.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #959 on: October 25, 2021, 07:05:22 PM »
This is the recipe I used:

https://www.wellplated.com/lentil-meatballs/#wprm-recipe-container-33528

I served them with spaghetti and store-bought marinara. I didn't have fresh parsley so I used dried, but I think they'd be even better with the fresh parsley.
Thanks!  I'll probably give this a try this week.  Maybe I'll be posting again here with how well it goes:)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #960 on: October 25, 2021, 11:25:42 PM »
Today's happiness was a double rainbow. It's been a couple years since I remember seeing any rainbows, and this one was especially beautiful.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #961 on: October 27, 2021, 08:39:19 PM »
For my 7-year-old's last soccer practice of the season, they had a "kids vs. parents" game. I wasn't really looking forward to it, but it ended up being super fun.

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #962 on: October 27, 2021, 08:47:45 PM »
I have no idea why, but I've had chicken shawarma on the brain lately. I went to the cupboard to make up a spice blend for it and happened across a jar of Penzey's jerk seasoning. That sounded good too ...

So I sauteed up some jerk chicken with red onion and bell pepper strips. Tasty!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #963 on: October 28, 2021, 09:55:59 PM »
I took my 4-year-old on a walk this evening and let her pick the route, which she was thrilled about. We explored a few streets I hadn't been down, saw a deer and a chicken on a roof, and generally had a lovely walk.

ETA: to clarify, the deer was not on a roof. I realized my wording was ambiguous 😆

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #964 on: October 28, 2021, 11:39:48 PM »
@nessness  if a deer had been on a roof, you could tell your daughter it was practicing for Christmas Eve.

Decided to do a project the way my boss asked for, but will also do it my own way, which seems better after getting into the data. Boys may even like it!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #965 on: October 31, 2021, 09:24:27 PM »
Listening to the audiobook version of poet Ross Gay’s book of essays “The Book of Delights”. A real joy of a book..helping  me notice the little delights of the day but also tangent off those small moments into bigger lessons and musings.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 09:26:20 PM by Serendip »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #966 on: November 01, 2021, 03:14:19 AM »
Had a nice long bike ride over the weekend.

DD and I also spent hours reviewing her Chinese vocabulary words over the weekend. Today, they had a dictation in class, and she was the only one to get perfect on the dictation. What makes it even better is that she is one of two non-native Chinese speakers in the native Chinese class. I’ve been milking the situation for all it’s worth and emphasizing that she doesn’t have to be better or smarter than those around her — she can achieve just as much (and more) by working harder.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #967 on: November 01, 2021, 06:52:12 AM »
Had a nice long bike ride over the weekend.

DD and I also spent hours reviewing her Chinese vocabulary words over the weekend. Today, they had a dictation in class, and she was the only one to get perfect on the dictation. What makes it even better is that she is one of two non-native Chinese speakers in the native Chinese class. I’ve been milking the situation for all it’s worth and emphasizing that she doesn’t have to be better or smarter than those around her — she can achieve just as much (and more) by working harder.

That's so fantastic @Freedomin5!  Good for her!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #968 on: November 01, 2021, 10:59:59 PM »
Spent lots of time outdoors this weekend. Soaking in the last of the not-cold weather.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #969 on: November 02, 2021, 06:59:46 AM »
The public library started offering access to a fantastic resource called Universal Class. I signed up for the app, and now I can take free courses!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #970 on: November 02, 2021, 10:34:22 PM »
Good chat with a friend. Some of it about our concern for a mutual friend (just good to say some of those things out loud to someone else who feels the same way) and some of it hearing her good news :)

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #971 on: November 03, 2021, 05:13:28 AM »
I walked to yoga in the dry. It lashed it down with rain while I was in the hall. I walked home in the dry, but now I'm drinking my coffee listening to it pour down again. #LuckyTiming.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #972 on: November 03, 2021, 08:27:43 AM »
Four days off and I just learned that my parents are going to come through (and stay a night) this weekend on the way to see an elderly relative. They’ve never been here together before and are extreme homebodies so it’s nice to plan a meal to make for them and have time to clean the house and maybe even make a Christmas package they can take home early.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #973 on: November 03, 2021, 09:14:58 AM »
Hospital waiting rooms are so quiet because of covid.

I used to hate waiting in hospitals because of the...uh...characters I would have to wait with, but it's such a saner process now.

I know it won't last, but the quiet is very nice.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #974 on: November 03, 2021, 11:17:05 PM »
I made a Covid vaccine appointment for my 7-year-old! I'm looking forward to the day when our whole family is fully vaccinated.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #975 on: November 03, 2021, 11:25:54 PM »
Lovely walk today with my BF. Then later he left the house for a couple hours and the alone time was equally lovely.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #976 on: November 03, 2021, 11:34:13 PM »
Waking up tp the song of beautiful birds close to Etosha. Feeling so grateful for time with my husband. We are spoiling ourselves with a long vacation.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #977 on: November 04, 2021, 09:36:28 AM »
The radiologist who injected my hip today uses the exact same technique that I teach to make injections less painful. It takes an extra 45 seconds, but makes all the world of difference and most doctors either have never been taught or don't bother taking the time.

I had the other hip done yesterday by an old cantankerous doc and it was a thousand times more painful.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #978 on: November 04, 2021, 10:38:08 AM »
Seeing a few lovely coworkers IRL yesterday. I'd forgotten how nice it is to have those in person connections.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #979 on: November 05, 2021, 10:00:18 AM »
I made a Covid vaccine appointment for my 7-year-old! I'm looking forward to the day when our whole family is fully vaccinated.
We got our 6-year-old her first shot yesterday, and I'm so glad they're finally available!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #980 on: November 05, 2021, 11:38:59 AM »
I’ve been bundling up and heading out in the rain. Surprisingly mood-stabilizing/lifting.

Plus, found a few nice things for very low price at our local thrift store (and the money goes to a good cause)—this makes me happy since I tend to buy either high or low so buying low but great quality is exactly the perfect blend to satisfy my frugal but somewhat picky tastes (Leather Born boots, vintage Hush Puppies ankle boots, a new Esprit down-coat, plus one handmade quilt!)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:42:28 AM by Serendip »

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #981 on: November 05, 2021, 11:54:28 AM »
We got our 6-year-old her first shot yesterday, and I'm so glad they're finally available!
Yay! How did she feel after? My daughter's appointment is on Monday, and I'm wondering if I should plan to have her stay home from school the next day.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #982 on: November 05, 2021, 09:57:06 PM »
Couldn't warm my feet up enough all day, but my after work walk did the job. Now I'm cozy!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #983 on: November 06, 2021, 02:50:26 AM »
Joy abounding today!
- There were 11 gorgeous women (plus assorted dogs) at my morning swimming group.
- Another friend and I restarted our town's monthly Produce Swap and had a great turnout, followed by a lovely lunch to celebrate.

Absolutely exhausted after all that, and spent the afternoon alternately snoozing and reading.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #984 on: November 06, 2021, 07:08:09 AM »
Yay! How did she feel after? My daughter's appointment is on Monday, and I'm wondering if I should plan to have her stay home from school the next day.
She was actually fine.  We actually took her to a 4-H meeting right after and she went to school the next day.  She did complain that her leg was sore, but I'm not sure if that was the shot or not.  But nothing major.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #985 on: November 06, 2021, 07:17:33 AM »
She was actually fine.  We actually took her to a 4-H meeting right after and she went to school the next day.  She did complain that her leg was sore, but I'm not sure if that was the shot or not.  But nothing major.
Awesome, glad to hear!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: November 06, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »
This morning's happiness is that my 4-year-old shamed me into making a mustachian choice. I said I wanted to stop at the coffee shop on our way to the park. She asked, "why do you need to buy coffee when you have coffee at home?" I conceded the point and made a pot of coffee. I guess my (usually) frugal ways are rubbing off on her! 😃

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #987 on: November 06, 2021, 03:19:49 PM »
My sister and I live a good hour away from each other.  Today we met at a bike path at the approximate mid-point between our houses and had a lovely walk in the sunshine.  It was so nice to both see her and enjoy moving in the outdoors together.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #988 on: November 07, 2021, 06:29:59 PM »
Went to my weekly outdoor meetup, which I had been thinking of skipping. I'll need to skip the next two, and also it was a very nice time. Totally worth the effort to get there. :)

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #989 on: November 08, 2021, 01:32:15 AM »
Waking up in my own bed after a couple of nights away.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #990 on: November 08, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
We were about to drop the list price on our house when we got a full price offer! We currently own two homes (the one we just bought and the one we're selling), which has been stressing us out some. But if everything goes well, we'll be free of the old one in under a month!

And my other happiness today - my daughter got her first Covid shot! Despite me going to the wrong CVS (who knew there are two on the same street a few miles apart?) and forgetting my wallet, it still went pretty smoothly.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #991 on: November 09, 2021, 02:57:27 AM »
Getting up on a cold morning and sipping a hot cup of tea, with my dog lying on top of my feet. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #992 on: November 09, 2021, 09:01:40 AM »
We had house guests! My cousin grew up in Europe and has traveled all over the world. I hadn't seen her in about seven years and our spouses had never met.

She sat down with a big book of skylines of the world that lives on our coffee table and she/they had been to all but eight of the cities in the whole book! Wowza! This led to much travel discussion and a tentative plan to travel together as a foursome at some point in the post-Covid future. She's recently retired and DH is pulling the plug soon, so bring it! She and I traveled together a bit in our long-ago single days. It was an unexpected delight that our spouses got on well.

They're also quite mustachian, so their trip included two fabulous hikes, several evenings working on a mystery themed puzzle (thrifted, of course), a trip to a local museum that was related to the theme of the puzzle, a trip to a state park to enjoy the view/sunset from the highest vantage point in the region (which was a focal point of the other two hikes), and one quick stop for three grocery items at the fancy pants grocery on the way home from a hike. There is a super high-end grocery store near the museum, so we strolled through that one, just for the eye candy and general amusement. We managed to stifle our chortles and buy nothing. We didn't eat out once. We packed delicious lunches each day and dinners were homemade Mexican food and scratch pizza. Yum!

So much happiness in a few short days!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #993 on: November 09, 2021, 02:17:45 PM »
Yesterday I had an hour & a half for lunch & went on a walk. I specifically asked Boss for a schedule change to include many long lunches while we are on Standard Time. It was cool, but sunny and nice. I was happy for the walk, and happy that I got up the nerve to ask my boss for this unconventional schedule.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #994 on: November 10, 2021, 11:13:03 AM »
I have some solo time for the first time in a long while. My partner is gone for a week and while I love them, there is something regenerating about time alone.

Plus had sone friends over and it was really interesting how strongly some of them reacted to the coziness of our home (it’s full of plants, books, interesting things and art). I guess some people go for the minimalist vibe but then are struck by houses that are full of character? Anyhow it felt nice to have my humble home be so loved since I also love the space we’ve created.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #995 on: November 11, 2021, 02:05:59 AM »
My daughter and Iooked after our neighbours' cavoodle for an hour today. The cutest little puppy on this earth!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #996 on: November 11, 2021, 10:51:45 PM »
On today's grocery store trip, the store has finally come to the last stages of renovation, and even though there are still finishing touches to complete, the *signs* for each aisle are now accurate again! So helpful when trying to find things in the new layout. A no-stress shopping trip.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #997 on: November 12, 2021, 03:07:34 AM »
Yesterday I had an hour & a half for lunch & went on a walk. I specifically asked Boss for a schedule change to include many long lunches while we are on Standard Time. It was cool, but sunny and nice. I was happy for the walk, and happy that I got up the nerve to ask my boss for this unconventional schedule.

Nice job getting that @oneday!  My lunchtime walks were pure gold for me while I was working.

Maybe your workplace would take it a step further and sanction walking meetings? 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #998 on: November 12, 2021, 10:31:38 PM »

Nice job getting that @oneday!  My lunchtime walks were pure gold for me while I was working.

Maybe your workplace would take it a step further and sanction walking meetings?

I am working completely remotely, but if in the office, that would be nice. My boss does an informal walking meeting with another manager sometimes, so it might work.

Today's happiness is coming up with a new nickname for my cat, who is now The Small Man In A Fur Suit Who Lives With Me.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #999 on: November 13, 2021, 12:52:28 AM »
Today's happiness was an awesome friend date while Ofpym was off on a different friend date. Such a good day today.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!