Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 165531 times)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2021, 08:34:01 AM »
Clean bill of health at the dentist today!  And I was able to get a potential issue checked out that had been worrying me.  Turns out it's nothing :)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2021, 02:17:12 PM »
I had less work to do today than I expected so now I am holed up in my nice warm office getting ahead on some things for next week.  I am looking forward to having dinner with a friend tonight too.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2021, 06:05:04 PM »
A small squirrel has made his home in a hollow tree right outside the window by my desk. I love watching him scurry around as I work. Sometimes he'll stare straight at me for several minutes, which is slightly creepy but mostly adorable.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2021, 07:05:03 PM »
Was thanked by BF for handling part of the utilities change over for our upcoming move. Prior relationships took this ort of work from me for granted. It was double happiness: once for the thank you and once for the "green flag" on the relationship.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »
I am having a great day at work today. It's the holiday, so no one else is here except my boss, and I can focus on my work without being interrupted by other people's problems.

Hello from someone else working on Chinese New Year and enjoying it! I have the office almost all to myself (only one other person here) and can play nice jazzy music on speaker (at a reasonable volume, far away from my coworker).

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2021, 10:29:54 PM »
I am having a great day at work today. It's the holiday, so no one else is here except my boss, and I can focus on my work without being interrupted by other people's problems.

Hello from someone else working on Chinese New Year and enjoying it! I have the office almost all to myself (only one other person here) and can play nice jazzy music on speaker (at a reasonable volume, far away from my coworker).

Hi! Had another great day at work today and finished all my outstanding tasks! I’m pretty much all caught up now. Even had time to squeeze in a brief workout at the company’s gym.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2021, 12:49:52 AM »

Same here @Adventine and @Freedomin5 ! making up for my recent extra (unexpected) week in quarantine. Was in the office yesterday and very quiet before CNY dinner. Today working from home at my own pace while the city celebrates in its low key way. Enjoying the sunlight that filters through the 3 sides of my long, beautiful and bright flat.
Happy lunar new year to everyone.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2021, 12:56:27 AM »
Today's happiness is responding consciously to despair and meanness and insecurity (others' as well as my own) with love. Sometimes indirect love. I have been dealing with an online stalker for months who this morning sent a dozen messages and called 14 times. Instead of getting worked up about it as I have been, after documenting it I focused on my connection with my partner and our affection for one another, rather than the disquiet caused by our stalker.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2021, 01:27:02 AM »
Today's happiness is responding consciously to despair and meanness and insecurity (others' as well as my own) with love. Sometimes indirect love. I have been dealing with an online stalker for months who this morning sent a dozen messages and called 14 times. Instead of getting worked up about it as I have been, after documenting it I focused on my connection with my partner and our affection for one another, rather than the disquiet caused by our stalker.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with a stalker and I hope you find a way to cut them out permanently from your life.

Also, happy lunar new year and enjoy your quality time with your partner!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2021, 02:22:47 AM »

I'm so sorry you're dealing with a stalker and I hope you find a way to cut them out permanently from your life.

Also, happy lunar new year and enjoy your quality time with your partner!

How disturbing and scary! Glad you have a loved one who can walk with you during this time.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2021, 07:57:21 AM »
I realized this morning that I was over-contributing to my TSP account (because I was contributing a percentage and my salary increased last year). I'm happy I figured this out early in the year so that I won't miss out on any matching!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2021, 10:39:18 AM »
@expatartist  --what a creative way to combat something negative (unfortunate!) with something positive. Hope you enjoy a serene time with your partner moving forward.

We finally have our kitchen renovations *almost* done. Grout is IN..and it looks good.
 phew.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2021, 03:01:23 PM »
Successful baking experiments, like the almond florentines I made yesterday, make me happy.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2021, 07:38:19 PM »
Passed a distant relatives contact info to close relatives; there is chatter of getting all of us closer. Doing my part to help heal old wounds!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »
I went to a friend's house for the first time and my son got on well with her daughter. So nice to have a sense of community.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2021, 08:06:53 AM »
In pre-Covid times, I am Hospitality Chair for a Women's social group that focuses on the arts. Most of our members are older and many are single. At last Monday's Zoom board meeting,  I floated the idea of sending  a Valentine from the group out to our members. The Board approved, so that afternoon, I made 138 of them using materials on hand and supplies from the dollar store. My 96 year old friend (she's also in the group and I'm her pod) and I assembled them on Tuesday and I popped them in the mail. They turned out really well and we had fun working together. Then I enjoyed a couple of days of anticipation. Now that they're arriving, I'm getting lots of great feedback from other board members. The larger group won't know who exactly was behind their Valentine, but I know they'll be happy to receive this little surprise. All in all, a very fun endeavor.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2021, 02:46:52 PM »
So happy I finally got a good night sleep last night and was able to workout without feeling like a Zombie!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2021, 05:06:16 PM »
It’s warmed up a bit over the past few days. I love looking out my window at green, leafy trees and hearing the birds chirping.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2021, 11:18:32 PM »
Weather here in Hong Kong has been sunny and stunning. Even though I'm working inside today, it's making art on windows. So getting plenty of sun and happiness in this afternoon.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »
Nice walk on a sunny cool day with one of my favorite people :)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2021, 02:12:18 PM »
Went to one friend’s house for an art session and then to another friend’s house for CNY (Chinese New Year) dinner.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2021, 03:24:39 PM »
@Dicey --I love your Valentines story!

Feeling a bit run-down so enjoying an afternoon curled up on the couch with heating pad, tasty drinks, comfort food and a good book. The ability to rest when I need rest is a real happiness booster.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2021, 05:04:04 PM »
I've been stuck in a rut lately due to the cold weather. Today I forced myself to do my workout and felt a lot better afterward. Now I'm making soup on the burner that my friend fixed for me the other day.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: February 16, 2021, 01:23:13 AM »
Hour-long walk in the sun. So relaxing!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #224 on: February 16, 2021, 03:06:54 AM »
Rolled the dice and order some curtains and curtain rods online and a Picture for above our FP and all came yesterday and were better than I was hoping. Happy dance!!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2021, 05:05:30 AM »
After nine years with no pets, we are getting a dog.  Not mustachian at all, but I'm very happy about it!  :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2021, 06:20:03 AM »
After nine years with no pets, we are getting a dog.  Not mustachian at all, but I'm very happy about it!  :)

Dogs aren't purchases, they're family, and they can be very Mustachian. They encourage you to get outside and go for walks as a daily activity, they make it harder to do international travel, they make it harder to spontaneously go out for drinks or dinner after work with colleagues, they make having overly nice furniture feel silly, and they make just hanging out at home WAY more fun.

They're objectively good for your physical health (petting a dog lowers blood pressure) and excellent for your mental health, which also means you are more likely to seek solace in your dog when feeling down than, say, shopping or drinking or whatever other non-mustachian self medication you might reach for.

They also make it easier to make friends and do Mustachian activities with them.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2021, 07:01:56 AM »
I started the morning with a quick workout, in place of my usual mindless scrolling. I feel much more energized and ready to start the day.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2021, 07:12:07 AM »

Dogs aren't purchases, they're family, and they can be very Mustachian. They encourage you to get outside and go for walks as a daily activity, they make it harder to do international travel, they make it harder to spontaneously go out for drinks or dinner after work with colleagues, they make having overly nice furniture feel silly, and they make just hanging out at home WAY more fun.

They're objectively good for your physical health (petting a dog lowers blood pressure) and excellent for your mental health, which also means you are more likely to seek solace in your dog when feeling down than, say, shopping or drinking or whatever other non-mustachian self medication you might reach for.

They also make it easier to make friends and do Mustachian activities with them.

Oh I know, we've had several dogs in the past.  Agree that the upsides outweigh the downsides, but still -- we'll be spending more in the years to come than otherwise.  Still very happy.  :)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2021, 05:28:47 PM »
Running as rainbands swept the city = lots of rainbows 🌈 this morning

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2021, 08:09:05 PM »
Finally got my baby ring resized and picked up t today. Makes me happy that I can now wear it every day and be removed of the relative who gave it to me rather than letting it sit as clutter in a drawer.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2021, 09:35:03 PM »
Found some free (public domain) sheet music online. Spent an hour brushing up my piano skills.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2021, 08:19:23 PM »
Just a gorgeous day today in the mountains--bright sun, sparkly snow, whooping skiers

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: February 17, 2021, 08:32:13 PM »
I took a work meeting in the backyard this morning while my kids played. It was cold but otherwise great - less screentime for them, and I felt more focused. Now I'm wondering why I haven't been doing this the last 11 months.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: February 17, 2021, 09:49:03 PM »
Picked up the keys to my new above abode, and moved a carload of things in. Woo!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:08:10 AM by oneday »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2021, 12:29:57 AM »
Made 3D pop up cards. There are so many great ideas on Pinterest!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2021, 08:24:24 PM »
The temperature was back up to regular-cold so I took a nice walk by the river this morning.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: February 19, 2021, 12:54:05 AM »
After a morning of dealing with challenging emails, I spent the afternoon inside as sun streamed through a corridor of floor to ceiling windows, working with art on glass. A warm and beautiful time exploring new ways to work with light, color and design.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2021, 01:51:09 AM »
I've just figured out how to stop a frustrating feature in MS Excel and I'm delighted that it will make work easier and that I get to share it with people who are as nerdy as me (it's when you change the data source for a chart and the colours and formatting mess up).

This is a good day.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #239 on: February 19, 2021, 03:05:28 AM »
Very ecstatic I finally got the cabinets installed that I ordered about 7 months ago! they look great.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2021, 06:35:00 AM »
I received my order of 3kg of mohair yarn. Looking forward to months of fun crocheting a light spring/fall lap blanket.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2021, 06:46:18 AM »
After months of dealing with a finicky ancient automatic garage door opener, I got a new one installed.  Was more $$ than I expected but it's quick and quiet, plus it comes with an app you can install on your smartphone.
It's true that when something you use every day isn't working quite right it's a low level irritant, but as soon as that gets fixed it makes daily life a little smoother.

and one more:  I'm one of those who enjoys flavored hot coffee, and I'm drinking one now from my local grocery that's called Buttery Caramel - delicious!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2021, 11:48:47 AM »
After months of dealing with a finicky ancient automatic garage door opener, I got a new one installed.  Was more $$ than I expected but it's quick and quiet, plus it comes with an app you can install on your smartphone.
It's true that when something you use every day isn't working quite right it's a low level irritant, but as soon as that gets fixed it makes daily life a little smoother.

and one more:  I'm one of those who enjoys flavored hot coffee, and I'm drinking one now from my local grocery that's called Buttery Caramel - delicious!

Oh yes, not having to deal with broken shit is well worth the money.  I've put up with stuff that sort-of worked for far too long before because I was used to it, and replacing it brought a marked improvement to my overall happiness. 

I just ate a really good tangerine and the weather is supposed to be warm this weekend!!!!!!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #243 on: February 20, 2021, 01:07:36 PM »
Halfway moved into my new place, and BF and I are agreeing on furniture layout so easily. A fun and exciting challenge!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2021, 03:17:31 PM »
I went inside the library today for the first time in a year. It felt really nice to be able to browse in the library instead of online, and they seemed to be very careful with covid safety. I was returning 4 books for my kids and planned to just get them 4 more, but I ended up with 11. 🤷

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2021, 06:46:22 PM »
We did a bunch of tree cleanup and had a fire today. Always a fun time.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2021, 10:05:48 PM »
So much happiness today! 8D

Very easy moving BF out of his place...he spent the last 2 days schlepping carloads of small boxes, so there was only furniture left, and he doesn't have a lot and none of it is too heavy. Easiest move I've been involved with!

Got the living room laid out as well as possible with what furniture is there and it's a useable room.

Figured out how the area rugs will fit into everything.

Lunch at the taco truck nearest the new place was delicious.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2021, 10:17:01 PM »
Halfway moved into my new place, and BF and I are agreeing on furniture layout so easily. A fun and exciting challenge!
That's so good to hear!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: February 20, 2021, 10:54:20 PM »
That's so good to hear!

Thanks, mspym! It's pretty good to live it, too :)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2021, 05:39:10 AM »
So much happiness today! 8D

Very easy moving BF out of his place...he spent the last 2 days schlepping carloads of small boxes, so there was only furniture left, and he doesn't have a lot and none of it is too heavy. Easiest move I've been involved with!

Got the living room laid out as well as possible with what furniture is there and it's a useable room.

Figured out how the area rugs will fit into everything.

Lunch at the taco truck nearest the new place was delicious.

I'll be moving in with my partner this fall, probably, and your updates are making me happy looking forward to it  :)   

(It'll be my first time ever living with a romantic partner, after living alone for 13 years, so I'm a little nervous, and it's nice to hear examples of it going smoothly.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!