Author Topic: Happiness challenge  (Read 165758 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Happiness challenge
« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2021, 07:56:26 AM »
The kids are slowly returning to activities in our area. My son made the high school soccer team (he's never been to school yet) & it's been amazing to see his transformation. He's so excited, animated & happy, talking about teammates & the game. School won't start in person until 4/19, so it's been huge for him to have this time with other people. After a year of him being quiet & reserved at home, I'd forgotten about this side of him.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2021, 08:09:36 AM »
Just got back from a fantastic mini trail run with our new puppy.  So far she doesn't like to walk on a leash, but she took to trail running like a duck to water.   I'm so looking forward to many happy years on the trail with her in the future. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #352 on: March 22, 2021, 10:26:24 AM »
Our 17 y.o. landed her first 'real' job, entirely on her own.  It's a great milestone!

Congrats!  That must be a good feeling.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #353 on: March 22, 2021, 01:38:04 PM »
G is building his portfolio to apply for uni and E just got his first part-time job. I am really impressed with how solid they are turning out to be.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #354 on: March 22, 2021, 07:09:19 PM »
I had a nice walk by the river today. Felt more at peace than I have felt in months. Nothing really exciting to see, but the breeze was perfect.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: March 22, 2021, 07:22:40 PM »
Unexpectedly was able to do part of a long-term art project with students today - missed them so much! Looking forward to them being back full-time in a couple of weeks.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #356 on: March 22, 2021, 09:43:08 PM »
I had a lot of fun this evening doing a "math mystery" with my 6-year-old. She has really good logical reasoning skills, and it's fun seeing them in action.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #357 on: March 22, 2021, 11:25:58 PM »
I had a lot of fun this evening doing a "math mystery" with my 6-year-old. She has really good logical reasoning skills, and it's fun seeing them in action.

That sounds so cute!

Unpacked a box today...the whole thing! And got a taker for empty boxes and packing material on Craigslist. And discussed with BF about how to go about arranging some of the rest of the stuff from boxes. Three developments which gives me hope that some day soon-ish we will be unpacked and settled in.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2021, 08:15:08 AM »
So happy - got my 2nd covid shot on Friday and Mr. R. just got an appt for his first jab on April 2 - YAY, what a relief.

Garden Joys - last year my neighbor gave me five Amaryllis bulbs and all five made it and are looking fantastic.
Three huge red blooms on one plant are open now - stunning!
Better yet, two of them have a second stalk of blooms coming - a carefree, showy perennial we can enjoy for years to come.

I love it when a plan comes together. The garden changes/additions from last year are looking good.
Covid made me a better gardener. I learned a lot about permaculture, tropical fruit, so many great gardener youtube channels ...
I mean, who knew that this trippy gardener dude in Queensland Australia has the same climate as I do in Tampa Bay, Florida?
I have learned so much from him. The gardening thread on MMM led me to find tropical online plant sources and gave me an outlet to talk about my garden plans, failures and successes.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2021, 08:39:32 PM »
I got a glorious hour and a half alone in my house today. That may not sound like much, but I've hardly been home alone at all the past several months.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #360 on: March 24, 2021, 09:02:04 PM »
Finally made it to the laundromat to wash the comforter. Been trying for two weeks, almost. Yay to checking something off a list!!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: March 24, 2021, 09:08:02 PM »
A mural proposal I've been struggling with for 6 weeks was accepted yesterday. A relief! Now we can plan out the post-Easter workflow.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #362 on: March 24, 2021, 10:51:39 PM »
Had a client thank me for helping them. It's nice to be appreciated sometimes, especially when I've been made the scapegoat in a few other situations recently.

Also, my crocheted blanket is coming along nicely -- perfect for our spring weather!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #363 on: March 25, 2021, 07:26:24 PM »
Overcame thoughts of "you are inadequate" and used a power drill to solve a sticky problem. A cabinet door that was hard to open now has an additional handle for better leverage.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #364 on: March 26, 2021, 12:33:27 PM »
Dusted/vacuumed the bedroom yesterday (yay!) and am inspired to begin spring cleaning this upcoming week. always brings great happiness to deep clean when I have the energy, time and a good podcast!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #365 on: March 26, 2021, 09:02:35 PM »
Made a conscious decision to let some of my day's tasks slide. Currently relaxing in the easy chair with a cat on my lap. Nice :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #366 on: March 27, 2021, 04:45:24 AM »
Just so happy this last week our like opened up, the weather you can tell spring is in the air and able to do things outside

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2021, 05:48:08 AM »
My chocolate chip cookies turned out beautifully. These are really the most excellent chocolate chip cookies I've ever made, and I've been making chocolate chip cookies for 30 years.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2021, 11:16:03 PM »
Found 2 things I thought were lost!!! 8D

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: March 29, 2021, 02:35:02 AM »
Our "artist village" studio rent will continue to be subsidized by the government 75% til September, so my half will remain a ridiculously cheap US$70/month.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #370 on: March 29, 2021, 03:33:09 AM »
I gave away 8 dozen eggs this weekend, so I no longer feel like my whole kitchen is being taken over by eggs.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #371 on: March 29, 2021, 06:49:06 AM »
My walking partner and I have been doing urban walks since the trails are too crowded. Sometimes we walk through Target, especially on blustery days. Before Christmas, I bought mittens and knitted headband there. Last week, I thought I'd lost one of the mittens. We popped into Target on Friday's walk. To our amazement, they had one pair of the same mittens left and it was on clearance! It was a chilly morning, so I removed the tags and wore them for the rest of the walk. Edit: after paying for them, of course.

On Sunday,  I found the "missing" glove.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:43:54 PM by Dicey »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #372 on: March 29, 2021, 05:34:47 PM »
Yesterday it was the gloriously beautiful skies.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: March 29, 2021, 10:04:16 PM »
My mom took my kids for the day today. Even though I had a busy workday, it was so nice to be alone in a quiet house. And I felt a lot more calm and patient with them when they got home, instead of worn out like I am a lot of evenings.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: March 30, 2021, 07:02:00 PM »
I gave away 8 dozen eggs this weekend, so I no longer feel like my whole kitchen is being taken over by eggs.

what abundance!!

Today's happiness was compounded by a long sunny/icy walk with a friend who I haven't seen in many months. We had a nice long visit after a series of missed connections..

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2021, 07:16:15 PM »
Today's happiness is selling an item online! My first sale of this time moving; everything else has been given away.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2021, 07:58:34 PM »
Managed to get out for a lunchtime walk and it was a really good one. Honey got to sniff All the Things and we didn't have to deal with any other dogs.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: March 31, 2021, 02:23:31 AM »
Some great feedback from an internal client and work and a long weekend to look forward to. I'm hesitating on a big purchase, but it's a relief to know that the money is there if I decide this is a good way to spend it.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #378 on: March 31, 2021, 11:11:20 PM »
Recently accepted a job offer. Today I got the full benefits paperwork, and it's actually a little disappointing.  Just a little. But I learned that I'll be outside hourly and eligible for overtime! That's an unexpected perk!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #379 on: April 01, 2021, 03:25:12 AM »
Our daughter was accepted to a great high school study abroad program for next year!  Now fingers crossed that Covid doesn't derail it. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #380 on: April 01, 2021, 05:14:32 AM »
I'm grateful for good friends and reasonable coworkers. I also received a thank you note today, which was very nice given all the drama that's been going on.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #381 on: April 01, 2021, 09:32:05 PM »
Went for a walk with BF and held hands.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2021, 05:58:24 AM »
Registered for my COVID vaccine!!!!  (And SO too!!!)  8 more days! 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: April 02, 2021, 10:40:40 AM »
Congrats on the vaccine appt @SquashingDebt !

I've been organizing in an effort to utilize and appreciate the things I already own (..it is working)

Last night I coloured my hair with a (non-permanent) plant-based hair colour that I bought and never had used (!!)
Today: am wearing fancy earrings while at home and using a diffuser to spread the smell of cedar essential oil.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 10:43:04 AM by Serendip »

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2021, 10:49:53 PM »
It's been a stressful week at work, but I was a lot less busy today so I took my kids and dog for a walk on the trail by our house. We saw a bunch of bullfrog tadpoles in a stream, which was neat - I'd never seen such big tadpoles! I thought about catching some and taking them home to raise into frogs (we have some little tadpoles already), but apparently it can take 14 months, and there's no way I want to make that commitment. But anyway, it was a really nice walk, with perfect weather.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »
@SquashingDebt yay vaccines!

@Serendip wow, you are lovely in a lovely environment. Sounds very tranquil.

@nessness nature for the win!

Yesterday looked at my net worth for the month. It's chugging along nicely.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #386 on: April 03, 2021, 07:02:42 PM »
Had a trip to the zoo and a nice walk with my boys today.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #387 on: April 04, 2021, 02:01:42 AM »
Read a book on the balcony -- it's sunny and warm, and the air quality is not terrible.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #388 on: April 04, 2021, 08:44:39 AM »
Easter eggs are hidden, the house is quiet and I am enjoying a cup of coffee watching the sun rise.  Grateful for my family.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: April 04, 2021, 09:00:18 AM »
Fog clearing away,
 coffee in bed,
 a clean bedroom,
 a book about imagination and generosity

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: April 04, 2021, 10:49:51 PM »
Giving the last boxes from the recent move away! Yay!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #391 on: April 05, 2021, 04:25:06 AM »
Happy to have been able to get away with my Family on a Vacation for the first time in Quite awhile and in doing so pulled of a nice surprise for my Dads 80th Birthday and also a 50th Wedding Anniversary for him and his Wife.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #392 on: April 05, 2021, 04:27:49 AM »
Picnic at the park today. Watched a kid kick a soccer ball into the middle of the stream. Dad tried to chuck rocks at it from the other side of the stream to push it back towards shore. That didn’t work. A couple holding a net with an extendable handle tried to net the ball and pull it to shore. The handle was a few inches too short. A man came along with his kid’s water gun. He aimed streams of water at the ball and shot the ball back to the other side where another man holding his kid’s frog/fish net scooped the ball out of the water and back onto shore. It was glorious watch everyone pitch in to save the soccer ball.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #393 on: April 05, 2021, 08:06:58 AM »
We bought a new-to-us RV about five minutes before the pandemic started, so we have used it very little. We took it to Monterey and Carmel Weds.-Sat. The City of Monterey actually owns and operates an RV Park at the top of a hill in the middle of town. I last camped there over thirty years ago when I was riding my bike from SF to LA. Nothing's really changed, which was pretty delightful. We decided to park the rig once and walk everywhere. The weather was spectacular, and we greedily soaked up the sunshine, spring flowers and spectacular vistas.

As part of Friday's walking tour, we visited one of my old accounts. The owner is semi-retired and there's a new manager. When I introduced myself, she said, "Oh, you must be Dicey! I've heard so much about you!" I last called on them nearly a decade ago, so that was quite lovely and unexpected.

We left there and noticed a new-to-me restaurant supply store a couple of doors down. Turns out they buy out restaurants and had a treasure trove of cool used stuff in the back. I found a large wooden pizza peel that had some wear on it, but was in solid shape. We bought it for $5! We had been wracking our brains for Bonus Kid's Easter Birthday gift. I'm the pizza dough maker and he's the pizza baker, so we were thrilled with this find. We paid for it, and left it there for a later pick-up TBD.  After we finished strolling through town and eating our picnic lunch, we swung back by the store and DH carried that huge pizza peel all the way up the long hill home.

On Saturday, we spent time in Carmel. There's a famous beach parking lot at the end of Ocean Avenue. DH despaired of us ever finding parking big enough for the RV, but I was optimistic. As we circled the lot, I noticed two parallel parking spaces that apparently everyone else had missed, because there was sand covering most of the markings. We parked our 25' rig with ease, for FREE!  I had also spied a smaller parking space that was a bit obscure, and pointed it out to another driver, who was thrilled.

Later, we visited the former office manager of the place we dropped in on the day before. I knew he had dementia, and probably wouldn't remember me, but I wanted to visit him anyway. He lives in Carmel with his sister in a house they inherited from their parents. I had dinner with them in their home several times when I was working, so I figured she had assumed the caretaking role. I know from personal experience that nobody visits people with ALZ, and I knew I coukd offer her some been-there-done-that support. He didn't remember me, but we had a fantastic visit anyway. I'm so glad I followed my gut and made the visit. We spent a lovely two hours with them.

After that, we headed for home home. DH sanded the pizza peel and shortened the too-long-for-home-use handle. It turned out great! Then we flattened a large cardboard box, slipped the peel inside and wrapped it in wrapping paper that was at least ten years old. Bonus kid loved it.

So much happy!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #394 on: April 05, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »
Catching up:
I am holed up in my nice quiet office today, getting some real work done while the bathroom floor at my house is in progress.

I colored my hair yesterday and it looks nice. The greys are hidden and it looks like I have some lighter brown highlights. 

Saturday I had a good hike and trip to the zoo with my kids.

On Friday I wore my favorite sweater that looks really good on me.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #395 on: April 05, 2021, 01:36:36 PM »
@soccerluvof4 what a wonderful vacation surprise!

Spent some quality time with BF at the very end of what was otherwise a cruddy day, that saved it.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #396 on: April 05, 2021, 04:25:38 PM »
Today the neighbour is doing his monthly rearrange his work truck plus power-wash which makes me extremely thankful for my noise-cancelling headphones.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #397 on: April 05, 2021, 05:26:21 PM »
At first I found myself annoyed that both of our teens had a club soccer game on Sunday. Then I reminded myself how much they missed soccer during COVID, and what an integral part sports have played during their childhood. I had a fantastic time at the game, and we came home and had an egg hunt, while DH & I drank champagne. An egg hunt for a 15 & 14 y.o. requires more advanced hiding skills. I'm so happy I embraced the day. I looked back on tiny egg hunter pictures of past, and enjoyed my two teens. I reminded myself that we only have a few years left with both of them in the house, and it made the day really enjoyable.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #398 on: April 05, 2021, 09:32:55 PM »
My 6-year-old had her first tee ball game today! I wasn't able to go (due to Covid restrictions only one parent can watch, and it was my husband's turn tonight), but apparently she had the best hit of the game! And I got some good quality time in with my younger daughter while they were gone.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: April 05, 2021, 10:05:52 PM »
Went out walking with BF and we found a new nice trail near a waterway. Urban oasis :)