Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 515512 times)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #650 on: December 24, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »
Watched Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks the other night. Good film.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #651 on: December 27, 2019, 11:18:14 AM »
Rewatched The Green Mile over the weekend.   Great movie but this time I got to thinking what SWR could Paul use.  He mentions he is 108 towards the end of the film so I'm sure even his government pension group would start investigating retirees who are older than that.  Don't just want to exist on dry toast only. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: December 28, 2019, 06:32:35 PM »
Tried to  take my mom to see Parasite. It's a South Koren drama/comedy about social class distinctions in S. Korea.

Bought 2 tickets. $10 each.  Sat down in good seats near back. No commercials showing. All right! Time for movie to start. No movie. No nothing. Finally a clerk pops in and says there is a problem with the digital download from company X, and movie might start in 5 minutes, or 2 hours. Sorry.  5 minutes later clerk comes back, says sorry, movie will be at least 2 hours late.

Silver lining is that we all got a refund (of course) AND  we all got free passes for any other movie at that theater for the next 3 months.   

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #653 on: December 29, 2019, 04:37:14 PM »
^Lol, I love it when that happens! it has happened to me twice . . . only they gave us tickets to a later showing of the same movie (different tech problems, I guess) and an extra pair of free passes.

I just watched A Simple Favor, currently free on Amazon Prime, and it was great! Seriously, one of the most entertaining films I've seen this year if not this decade.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #654 on: December 30, 2019, 11:01:09 AM »
6 Underground  -Ryan Reynolds action film
Toy Story 4

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #655 on: December 30, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »
Rewatched The Green Mile over the weekend.   Great movie but this time I got to thinking what SWR could Paul use.  He mentions he is 108 towards the end of the film so I'm sure even his government pension group would start investigating retirees who are older than that.  Don't just want to exist on dry toast only.

I have The Green Mile recorded on my DVR to watch soonish.

Watched The Goldfinch on ppv over the holidays. Good film.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #656 on: January 03, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »
Just got back from a family outing to see the last Star Wars movie that's in theatres now.  What's it called--oh, right, The Rise of Skywalker, I think.  Not as bad as I'd have guessed from the headlines.  Entertaining.  The scenes with Leia were distracting and silly, the writing wasn't great, and the characters are cartoons, but none of the films since the original trilogy were much good, IMHO, so my expectations were low.  In fact, the only reason we went was because our 12 year old said that even though he heard it wasn't good that he wanted to see it in the theatre anyway.  So we went to a matinee today ($6 tickets), the last weekday of winter break.  I love an empty theatre!  And they have the reclining seats, so that's fun.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #657 on: January 03, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »
Just got back from a family outing to see the last Star Wars movie that's in theatres now.  What's it called--oh, right, The Rise of Skywalker, I think.  Not as bad as I'd have guessed from the headlines.  Entertaining.  The scenes with Leia were distracting and silly, the writing wasn't great, and the characters are cartoons, but none of the films since the original trilogy were much good, IMHO, so my expectations were low.  In fact, the only reason we went was because our 12 year old said that even though he heard it wasn't good that he wanted to see it in the theatre anyway.  So we went to a matinee today ($6 tickets), the last weekday of winter break.  I love an empty theatre!  And they have the reclining seats, so that's fun.

That's pretty much our take on it, as well. It was reasonably entertaining. Still better than Episodes 1–3, but not as good as the original trilogy or Rogue One.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #658 on: January 03, 2020, 03:11:33 PM »

That's pretty much our take on it, as well. It was reasonably entertaining. Still better than Episodes 1–3, but not as good as the original trilogy or Rogue One.

Yes!  I forgot about Rogue One.  Definitely the best of the non-originals.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #659 on: January 04, 2020, 10:54:33 AM »
Midsommar.  What did I just see??

I got the rec from some list of top movies (or perhaps it was, ahem, top films) in 2019.  Now I need to go back to my Netflix queue and try to find the other movies I got from that same list and reevaluate/remove.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #660 on: January 04, 2020, 12:43:10 PM »

I got the rec from some list of top movies (or perhaps it was, ahem, top films) in 2019.  Now I need to go back to my Netflix queue and try to find the other movies I got from that same list and reevaluate/remove.

Did you see/like (it should perhaps be 'admire') Hereditary?  I have the feeling that film-maker's stuff is just going to always be polarizing...

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: January 04, 2020, 12:47:30 PM »
Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and really liked it.  I find Tarantino generally somewhat over-rated, but I thought this was a whole bunch of what I think he does well.  Plus, sometimes it's just fun to watch some of the few remaining MOVIE STARS left in the business just doing their best movie star 'thing'.  I felt similarly seeing Ford vs Ferrari, which I enjoyed even though I couldn't give half a shit about cars, let alone car racing.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #662 on: January 04, 2020, 12:52:40 PM »

Did you see/like (it should perhaps be 'admire') Hereditary?  I have the feeling that film-maker's stuff is just going to always be polarizing...

I haven't, but it's in my queue. I didn't realize before watching that they were by the same guy. It seems like Hereditary got better reviews so I'm still holding out hope for that one. I'm not sure why Midsommar is even labeled horror, as apart from a couple superfluously gory scenes, the movie wasn't scary or even tense at all. I get the impression Hereditary is slightly more traditional horror?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #663 on: January 04, 2020, 03:09:45 PM »

I haven't, but it's in my queue. I didn't realize before watching that they were by the same guy. It seems like Hereditary got better reviews so I'm still holding out hope for that one. I'm not sure why Midsommar is even labeled horror, as apart from a couple superfluously gory scenes, the movie wasn't scary or even tense at all. I get the impression Hereditary is slightly more traditional horror?

Yes, it seems more traditional, if not exactly mainstream.  What it mostly is, is an examination of highly dysfunctional family dynamics that manifest after tragedy/during mourning, and then that's sort of shoe-horned into a horror movie framework. Sounds like Midsommar is an examination of highly dysfunctional romantic relationship dynamics that manifest after tragedy/during mourning, shoehorned into something like The Wicker Man. 

Seems like the director has a theme he likes. 

I love the original (not the Nicholas Cage one, and not the edited U.S. version) of TWM, so I'll probably find Midsommar very interesting. Haven't seen it yet.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #664 on: January 05, 2020, 11:45:41 AM »
I re-watched Patch Adams last night. Not sure what to say … First of all, it is a great movie, and a stellar performance by Robin Willliams, but that being said, it was a little hard to watch, now knowing how Robin Wiliams' life ended. The movie is about a doctor with a passion for helping people with both mental and physical problems, especially those at the end of their life, and those that couldn't afford medical treatment. As a matter of fact, at the beginning of the movie he is in a mental hospital, where he has admitted himself for trying to commit suicide. (One of those life imitates art things?)

Anyway, I still laughed several times. I love the scene where he is in charge of organizing a convention for ob/gyn doctors, and decorates the entry to the building with … well... appropriately. hahaha!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #665 on: January 05, 2020, 02:54:57 PM »
I watched Ready or Not on Christmas Eve.  It was a fun film with gore and darker comedy.  Fun to watch while wrapping presents and knitting away.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #666 on: January 06, 2020, 11:20:46 AM »
Watched some older movies this past weekend.

"300" A good blood and guts movie.
"Flubber"  A good family movie made by Disney with Robin Williams. My kids had never seen it. I still remember the old version "The Absent-Minded Professor" which this one is based on.

"Cast Away" Tom Hanks stuck on a small island for 1500 days.  After watch this movie on Sunday night before heading to bed I flipped through the channels and ironically saw him accept the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the Annual Golden Globe Awards.   

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #667 on: January 07, 2020, 11:19:38 PM »
Watched Agatha Christie's Crooked House, with Glenn Close and Gillian Anderson.  Meh.  I think those two women were wasted even though their characters were sort of fun and campy.  But, I think this kind of mystery just goes better in a book.  I would rather have read that than watched it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #668 on: January 08, 2020, 03:26:39 AM »
Background- I killed cable years ago. It was easy to do, because...movies! I checked out, rented, borrowed and swapped like crazy. Also went to the movies with another movie-loving friend at least once a month, if not more, until he passed away.

Fast forward a decade (or two). DH and I got married seven years ago. We never went to the movies before we wed, nor had we since. Last week we decided to go to a real movie theater. Dusted off some ancient gift cards, stuffed some snacks in my bag and off we went to a mid-afternoon matinee. We saw "Ford and Ferrari" and really enjoyed it.

One of our tenants worked for Carroll Shelby for many years. In fact, she ran his chili company until her screwed her over when he sold it. DH is a car guy. There's a Shelby Museum in our neck of the woods and we've been there and enjoyed it. I grew up in Riverside and remember...oh, nevermind. Those were enough reasons to finally put our butts into real movie theater seats.

I keep thinking about Ken Miles' life story and it's been over a week. Any movie that works into your head and makes you think is a good movie, IMO.

It also had some parallels to another sleeper movie I loved and highly recommend: "The World's Fastest Indian", starring Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro. They (Munro and Miles) were both wizards, chasing their dreams and working their magic at about the same time.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #669 on: January 08, 2020, 09:08:46 AM »
Watched "Ad Astra" (Brad Pitt space movie)  last night, my wife was told it was not a good movie by a co-worker so we had low expectations. It was hard to follow some of the story line (not enough background to put things in context or maybe I missed a bunch of things).  My wife gave up and went to bed before it was over, I watched the whole thing and thought it had a some good parts ,but on the whole was not great. I think it would have been a better suited as a TV series where they could have spent time building the story up over a bunch of episodes instead.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #670 on: January 10, 2020, 10:11:25 PM »

Yes, it seems more traditional, if not exactly mainstream.  What it mostly is, is an examination of highly dysfunctional family dynamics that manifest after tragedy/during mourning, and then that's sort of shoe-horned into a horror movie framework. Sounds like Midsommar is an examination of highly dysfunctional romantic relationship dynamics that manifest after tragedy/during mourning, shoehorned into something like The Wicker Man. 

Seems like the director has a theme he likes. 

I love the original (not the Nicholas Cage one, and not the edited U.S. version) of TWM, so I'll probably find Midsommar very interesting. Haven't seen it yet.

Ok, watched Hereditary and did like it pretty well.  Not quite as bizarre, maybe because it kept more of "that kind of stuff" for the end.  I just like being creeped out and scared more than bizarre ritual/occult stuff, so I guess this one was more my speed.  I thought it a good addition to the genre.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #671 on: January 11, 2020, 08:26:06 AM »
Watched "Us," which was an interesting grab-bag of ideas but a little too long, and I think conceptually Peele bit off a little bit more than could be chewed. 

"Ad Astra," sort of a cross between "2001" and "Gravity." I actively disliked "Gravity," mostly b/c of the terrible script.  "Ad Astra" suffered similar script problems, but I liked it a bit more...perhaps I just liked the underlying thematic material more...it was less of a procedural than "Gravity" and more about existential angst.  Pitt did a terrific job considering said script problems and terrible voice-over dialogue. 

"The Peanut Butter Falcon," was a charming little feel-good indie from a first time film-maker, about a wrestling-obsessed young man with Down's Syndrome, who breaks out of his care facility to travel to a a wrestling camp.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: January 11, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »
Amazon Prime has added some good stuff since we last used the service. I'm taking full advantage of the flooding rainstorms to knit and watch documentaries.

"Generation Wealth" was an interesting look at how materialism and greed have impacted societies worldwide, and the fallout of these patterns.

"One Child Nation" is about the implementation and fallout of China's one-child policy, directed and narrated by a woman born in that era. This was very well done and heartbreaking.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #673 on: January 11, 2020, 08:41:31 PM »
Traveled back in time to watch Mission Impossible II. Wow, that movie has not aged well. The stunts are still spectacular (although a little 90s-ish in the use of slow motion) but the way they used the single female character was pretty embarrassing. Which is weird, because the first one, although light on women actors, at least had multiple roles and treated them as equals.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #674 on: January 12, 2020, 03:23:29 AM »
I saw 1917 yesterday. I thought it was pretty solid. The cinematography was great. The single shot gimmick wasn't distracting, but it was fun trying to figure out where they made the edits.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #675 on: January 12, 2020, 09:03:46 PM »
I saw the movie Parasite, a Korean film in the movie theater.. It is about a poor family who use their wits to ingratiate themselves into the lives of a rich couple. It is comedy but it turns very dark. There’s social commentary about Rich versus poor. Very entertaining.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #676 on: January 13, 2020, 07:31:07 AM »
I saw the movie Parasite, a Korean film in the movie theater.. It is about a poor family who use their wits to ingratiate themselves into the lives of a rich couple. It is comedy but it turns very dark. There’s social commentary about Rich versus poor. Very entertaining.

I heard really good things about Parasite from all my Italian friends.

I have plans to go see Little Women (in English) next weekend with another English speaking friend with a bilingual 11 year old daughter.  I'll report back.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #677 on: January 13, 2020, 02:37:02 PM »
Watched "The 12th Man" last night (on Hulu, I believe).  Norwegian movie with English subtitles, WWII, based on a true story of a Norwegian resistance fighter.  I enjoyed it (I learned I finally have the muscle memory to knit and read subtitles at the same time, otherwise the movie may have felt a little slow.)  It has Jonathan Rhys Meyers (King Henry VIII in "The Tudors") as one of the main characters, but the rest of the actors were unknown to me (though a couple looked familiar).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #678 on: January 15, 2020, 07:59:30 AM »

I liked Parasite.  Good film.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #679 on: January 17, 2020, 01:54:49 PM »
Yesterday we saw Uncut Gems. Adam Sandler in a serious, well acted role, plays a gambling addicted NY City jeweler who has many balls  in the air to keep his “deals” moving.

Not my kind of film, too much tension and stressful plot points plus just too much visual ugliness (aids the plot, sure!) like the gritty streets, his dark sleezy  apartment, his ugly suburban home, their  clothing, etc.  The only spot of beauty is his girlfriend who lights up the screen. GOrge!

But I can see that this film for those who like tension and bad guys would be well received.

I suggest watching this film at home where you can adjust the volume to where you want it. To me this was 135 minutes of New Yorkers screaming at each other, usually simultaneously. I don’t even know how they would close caption this film because there’s so much simultaneous shouting going on.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #680 on: January 17, 2020, 04:23:21 PM »
Yesterday we saw Uncut Gems. Adam Sandler in a serious, well acted role, plays a gambling addicted NY City jeweler who has many balls  in the air to keep his “deals” moving.

Not my kind of film, too much tension and stressful plot points plus just too much visual ugliness (aids the plot, sure!) like the gritty streets, his dark sleezy  apartment, his ugly suburban home, their  clothing, etc.  The only spot of beauty is his girlfriend who lights up the screen. GOrge!

But I can see that this film for those who like tension and bad guys would be well received.

I suggest watching this film at home where you can adjust the volume to where you want it. To me this was 135 minutes of New Yorkers screaming at each other, usually simultaneously. I don’t even know how they would close caption this film because there’s so much simultaneous shouting going on.

I have no doubt this is a really well done film. It also ticks pretty much every box of stuff in movies (and life) that make me want to sprint in the opposite direction....willfully stupid decision-making, bling-dealing, urban griminess, yelling, sales as a profession, gambling, Sandler, etc.  I do enjoy listening to people discuss it, however.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #681 on: January 19, 2020, 01:42:00 PM »
First Reformed.  I really like Ethan Hawke.  I think he's a super underrated and under-"buzzed" actor.  This movie was...ok.  Interesting.  Maybe not as thought-provoking as I think it's supposed to be.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #682 on: January 19, 2020, 05:34:58 PM »
Ah, I recently watched Ad Astra as well. Generally I like space flicks, and this was well acted, but it was not my favorite plot line. Waaaay too much botox in a couple of the actors . . . I wish Hollywood would give up on that.

I just watched Leave No Trace on Prime and really, really liked it. It's about a vet with PTSD who lives out in the woods on public lands in the Pacific Northwest with his teenage daughter. I highly recommend this one.

Two more entertaining whodunnits with twists that I've streamed since Christmas include
A Simple Favor . . . probably my favorite movie from last year. Two Moms in the Connecticut suburbs are the main characters.
The Lincoln Lawyer . . . I want to dislike the main character every time I see him in a movie and I just can't because he's too good of an actor.
Both of these movies had characters with alcoholism as a central theme, which hits home for me lately.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: January 20, 2020, 08:56:35 AM »
Atomic Blonde from the library, so it was free. Stars beautiful Charlize Theron as female spy who knocks out or kills lots of big bad guy males with her 'organic rage' in many knock-down drag out fight scenes. She takes lots of blows but always recovers her beauty.

One very hot lesbian scene, with Theron in it.

I made myself watch three fourths of the movie, for some reason, then I had to shut it off due to it getting too boring.   

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #684 on: January 20, 2020, 01:07:15 PM »
Atomic Blonde from the library, so it was free. Stars beautiful Charlize Theron as female spy who knocks out or kills lots of big bad guy males with her 'organic rage' in many knock-down drag out fight scenes. She takes lots of blows but always recovers her beauty.

One very hot lesbian scene, with Theron in it.

I made myself watch three fourths of the movie, for some reason, then I had to shut it off due to it getting too boring.   

Interesting - I had a very different take on that move.  I thought that it was one of the few movies that actually took focused not just on the protagonist dishing out punishment, but also receiving it.  And also showed that being in a fight is actually hard/tiring/exhausting and sometimes 'winning' just means outlasting your opponent.  I also thought it did a great job showing the damage done, particularly to her body. 

I happened to live in Germany during the timeframe the movie was shot and they did a great job nailing the look/feel of the place back then. 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #685 on: January 20, 2020, 02:16:34 PM »
I just saw Little Women at the theatre with my 11 year old daughter and some other girlfriends.  It was just as amazing as everyone says it is.  Highly recommended.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #686 on: January 26, 2020, 12:27:13 PM »
Yes to Little Women.  So in love with the
Spoiler: show
new
ending!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: January 26, 2020, 08:21:43 PM »
Thirding Little Women. I took my mom to a matinee showing this afternoon. We are both lifelong fans of the book and both loved the movie.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: January 27, 2020, 03:31:05 PM »
Does anyone else not like Laurie in this Little Women?  I don't think Timothee Chalamet has the range to portray young carefree Laurie, "European" Laurie, and mature Laurie differently from one another.  I kind of felt like he always put off "'I'm a rich jerk' Laurie from Europe" vibes.

Otherwise I really liked this version.  I grew up with the '94 version, which I also love, but the additions to this one gave all of the sisters a lot more depth of character to me.  I also love that Saoirse Ronan is becoming more well known (partially because someday maybe people won't have to ask how to pronounce my daughter's name).

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #689 on: January 27, 2020, 03:38:50 PM »
Just saw Escape Room. Much better than we were expecting.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #690 on: January 27, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »
Watched Brittany Runs a Marathon this week, an Amazon original.  Good. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #691 on: January 27, 2020, 03:58:26 PM »
Does anyone else not like Laurie in this Little Women?  I don't think Timothee Chalamet has the range to portray young carefree Laurie, "European" Laurie, and mature Laurie differently from one another.  I kind of felt like he always put off "'I'm a rich jerk' Laurie from Europe" vibes.

Otherwise I really liked this version.  I grew up with the '94 version, which I also love, but the additions to this one gave all of the sisters a lot more depth of character to me.  I also love that Saoirse Ronan is becoming more well known (partially because someday maybe people won't have to ask how to pronounce my daughter's name).

Yeah, I was middling on him. At some times he seemed perfect, at others he seemed off a bit. Overall I still feel on the side of liking him since he was really excellent in places.

I thought Florence Pugh was probably the best cast role of the lot. I don't particularly love her, but I don't really love Amy either... And for a lot of the same reasons! A very good match.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #692 on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »

Yeah, I was middling on him. At some times he seemed perfect, at others he seemed off a bit. Overall I still feel on the side of liking him since he was really excellent in places.

I thought Florence Pugh was probably the best cast role of the lot. I don't particularly love her, but I don't really love Amy either... And for a lot of the same reasons! A very good match.

I think I agree re: Laurie. I think Timothée Chalamet did well, but I preferred Christian Bale in that role. Too bad we couldn't have him vs. Saoirse Ronan.

I'm actually pretty happy with the casting in this one. I think this was the first time I actually understood Amy, and I credit Florence Pugh (and Greta Gerwig's interpretation) for that. And the casting for Beth was much better (Claire Danes wasn't the right fit for that role).

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #693 on: January 28, 2020, 09:00:40 AM »
Watched Brittany Runs a Marathon this week, an Amazon original.  Good.

I enjoyed that movie, too.  I thought it was a bit hard on her friend/roommate but otherwise liked it.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #694 on: January 28, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »
Saw Dark Waters today.  Mark Ruffalo does a great job as the lead who plays the attorney who went up against DuPont in a West Virginia environmental case.  Based on a true story.  The movie had to condense years of legal work into 2 hours but it was never slow or boring.
Mare Winningham had a supporting role as one of the affected people and did an excellent job as always.

Also saw Richard Jewell.  Surprisingly engaging, even when we know the storyline in advance.  The lead actor, Paul Walter Hauser, was flawless throughout.  I also thought it was one of the best-directed films I'd seen in a long time, so kudos to 89 year-old Clint Eastwood - he can still bring it.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #695 on: January 28, 2020, 09:16:50 PM »
Is this where I should admit that the only thing I know about "Little Women" is what I learned (and mostly forgotten) from an episode of Little House on the Prairie?  Is it worth seeing any of the movies if you don't already have a love for the book, or a previous movie, from childhood (and not already a general fan of movies around that era)?

I really miss when moviepass was good.  I can't justify the price of going to the theater more than about once or twice a year (and even then with matinee prices and no movie theater food/drink).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #696 on: January 28, 2020, 09:22:19 PM »
Is this where I should admit that the only thing I know about "Little Women" is what I learned (and mostly forgotten) from an episode of Little House on the Prairie?  Is it worth seeing any of the movies if you don't already have a love for the book, or a previous movie, from childhood (and not already a general fan of movies around that era)?

I really miss when moviepass was good.  I can't justify the price of going to the theater more than about once or twice a year (and even then with matinee prices and no movie theater food/drink).

Neither my DH nor his father had ever read the book, seen any of the previous movie adaptations nor are general fans of movies about teenage girls, but they both saw it (separately) and both remarked on it to each other afterward about how well done they thought it was. So I think people other than the target audience are enjoying it as well.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #697 on: January 29, 2020, 06:29:32 AM »
Saw Dark Waters today.  Mark Ruffalo does a great job as the lead who plays the attorney who went up against DuPont in a West Virginia environmental case.  Based on a true story.  The movie had to condense years of legal work into 2 hours but it was never slow or boring.
Mare Winningham had a supporting role as one of the affected people and did an excellent job as always.

Also saw Richard Jewell.  Surprisingly engaging, even when we know the storyline in advance.  The lead actor, Paul Walter Hauser, was flawless throughout.  I also thought it was one of the best-directed films I'd seen in a long time, so kudos to 89 year-old Clint Eastwood - he can still bring it.

A friend of ours works for that Cincy based Law Firm. We actually got the inside scoop on the entire story long before the movie came out. It was fascinating and I have made respect for that lawyer. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #698 on: January 29, 2020, 08:06:58 AM »
The movie 1917 about World War I.

Used our 2 free movie passes (see previous post about technical problems which resulted in free passes and refund) to take my mom to see the movie 1917. I didn't really want to see it, but Mom did. And we actually could have seen Parasite, a better movie, IMO, but I didn't even check if it were showing! My bad.

I did like 1917, luckily. But it's only goos because it has interesting photography, and because it answers the questions that pop up in your mind from time to time, quickly.  Other movies have a lot of 'loose ends' and things that don't make sense. This movie is straightforward, no nonsense.

Lots of war scenes, of course. A couple unbelievable scenes here and there.

But an OK movie, mainly because of the photography.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #699 on: February 01, 2020, 08:33:54 PM »

I liked Parasite.  Good film.

It's available for rental on Amazon. We rented it tonight and thought it was very good.