Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 505775 times)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #1900 on: September 06, 2022, 12:50:05 PM »
Update on 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being'. I got over my loathing for the main character, and the movie turned out to be very good.

I watched "Pig" last weekend and thought it was the best thing that Nic Cage has ever done.  Then watched this on a plane and though I didn't think it was as good, it did improve my opinion about his acting skills overall.  I still think he was best in "Pig".  It was a good role for him.

LOL. I think you are confusing an art film from the 80s with Daniel Day Lewis (ULB) with a recent meta-comedy starring Nic Cage (Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent). Now I'm entertaining myself imagining Nic Cage playing all the iconic DDL roles!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1901 on: September 07, 2022, 06:32:23 AM »
Update on 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being'. I got over my loathing for the main character, and the movie turned out to be very good.

I watched "Pig" last weekend and thought it was the best thing that Nic Cage has ever done.  Then watched this on a plane and though I didn't think it was as good, it did improve my opinion about his acting skills overall.  I still think he was best in "Pig".  It was a good role for him.

LOL. I think you are confusing an art film from the 80s with Daniel Day Lewis (ULB) with a recent meta-comedy starring Nic Cage (Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent). Now I'm entertaining myself imagining Nic Cage playing all the iconic DDL roles!

Me too, and it's fucking amazing.

Although, I do not like DDL, which makes it so much better.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1902 on: September 07, 2022, 07:26:07 AM »
We watched the Get Smart with Money documentary last night featuring MMM and a few others, advising 4 people about their financial situations over a 1 year timeline.  There's an ongoing thread about it here--- https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/get-smart-with-money-(netflix-documentary)  and a MMM posting here--- https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2022/09/06/its-get-smart-with-money-day/

I know this thread is generally for 'off topic' movies, but just in case anyone here didn't know about it, I figured it didn't hurt to add it to the list.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1903 on: September 07, 2022, 07:34:21 AM »
We watched the Get Smart with Money documentary last night featuring MMM and a few others, advising 4 people about their financial situations over a 1 year timeline.  There's an ongoing thread about it here--- https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/get-smart-with-money-(netflix-documentary)  and a MMM posting here--- https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2022/09/06/its-get-smart-with-money-day/

I know this thread is generally for 'off topic' movies, but just in case anyone here didn't know about it, I figured it didn't hurt to add it to the list.

...but is it good?

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1904 on: September 07, 2022, 07:48:05 AM »

...but is it good?

I think so.  No one from this forum is going to gain any new insight to their finances, but its nice to see the message of prudent financial planning being spread around.  Hopefully it inspires others to look at where their money is going.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1905 on: September 09, 2022, 09:01:10 AM »
'Four Good Days' with Glen CLose and Mila Kunis. Glen CLose is the mom of addicted daughter Mila. All the horror of that situation.  Mila looks awful compared to how cute she was in 'That Seventies Show'. Glen CLose is actually more attractive, even though much older. Good acting by both. Standard plot. Good 'chemistry' between the two.   

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1906 on: September 09, 2022, 11:04:46 AM »

While not as good as the original, this is one of the better movies of the Ghostbuster franchise.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1907 on: September 10, 2022, 12:26:10 PM »
"Generation Wealth" by the same documentarian as "The Queen of Versailles."

It's okay. The stories, footage, interviews, and photojournalism are impressive and disturbing, especially the cases that she followed up for years.

However, for a film all about wealth and excess, she spends an inordinate amount of time covering her own family from a perspective that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand other than a tenuous connection she makes early on comparing her obsessive career drive with other obsessive forms of wanting more.

It really is a weak, weak connection. Then the entire end of the movie is almost entirely footage of her family talking about how they feel generationally about parenting and shit.

Like, cool, if you want to do a documentary about legacy Harvard families, elite careers, and the impact of parents who priorities their work over their kids, that's a legit documentary, but it's not the one I signed up to watch.

Obviously she deeply resonates with the drive for more and the trade offs people are willing to make for it, but her personal epiphanies DO NOT translate onto film. It's more like "wow, that story about the woman who got all the plastic surgery and then her daughter killed herself by jumping out of a moving car is intense"...."oh...okay, she's dedicated several times more minutes to yet another long segment of filming her awkward children who don't want to be filmed and who aren't comfortable sharing much in the way of opinions on camera."

I mean, that's certainly a stylistic choice. Perhaps not a choice I would make, and definitely not a choice I enjoy. The last 15 minutes have been more awkward questions posed to her avoidant children and I'm like "I don't want to see your fucking kids anymore!"

It's strange because one of the things she emphasizes over, and over, and over is how much volume of photos and footage she has collected. The compulsive workaholism she's so keen to demonstrate isn't actually demonstrated by showing us the work, she just tells us that she has all of this work product, and shows us boxes and boxes of it, but the actual content for the movie is pretty lean.

Other than the countless awkward interviews with her children, of course.

The only valuable family scene is one where her child reads a very good passage he's ostensibly* written about the notion of family legacy and the crushing pressure he feels to live up to his family's example and expectations. (The kid is quite young and the writing quality seems well past his age of development, so it's a bit suspect that he actually wrote it himself).

His parents' response? To praise the quality of the writing.
Fucking priceless.
Still only tenuously connected to the actual subject matter of the movie, mind you, but still a great scene in how ironic it is.

I give it a C+ because there is a decent amount of interesting content and she does find very interesting people to talk to, but she loses HUGE points by boring me to fucking death with family interviews that I could not possibly care less about.

Film should be called "A Movie About My Family...oh, and some weird fucked up folks obsessed with money, sex, and power...trust me, they're kind of related"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 03:51:16 PM by Malcat »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1908 on: September 10, 2022, 02:50:54 PM »
I Came By on Netflix. It's a thriller leaning towards horror not action. Hugh Bonneville stars and is great as the titled ex-judge with a secret in his basement. It's not the best movie I've seen by a long shot, there weren't any twists and turns, but it was worth it to see HB in this character! He definitely shed the Downtown Abbey typecasting. Also stars Kelly Macdonald who is consistently good.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1909 on: September 24, 2022, 12:17:09 PM »
Niche audience, I'm sure, but the new documentary about Bowie, Moonage Daydream, was really interesting. Definitely needs to be seen on the big screen with surround sound for appropriate impact.

This isn't really for the casual Bowie fan b/c it is an 'experimental' doc, not a standard doc. It's roughly chronological, but there are few 'dates or names', no interviews with talking heads about Bowie, nothing on his collaborators. That's been done in several other docs about him; this is instead an attempt, probably as good as can be done, to get into Bowie's mind, what drove him artistically, the context and variety of his inspirations, what it's like to pursue the artistic impulse across multiple media the way that he did.  It's constructed in 'collage' style, and while the entire soundtrack is Bowie music and Bowie and various interviewers discussing aspects of his career, most of the greatest hits are not even played...there's a handful of showstopping concert sequences, to punctuate the 5 main 'segments' of the doc, but a lot of the soundtrack is lesser known stuff.

I saw it with my Mom (Bowie fan who already broadly knows his overall bio) but not my husband, who is more of a casual admirer who likes a lot of the hits. I suspect people who are generally interested in the artistic process as opposed to Bowie himself would also find it intriguing. It gave us a TON to talk about afterward in re art and superstardom and what constitutes bravery or success in artists.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1910 on: September 26, 2022, 07:39:04 AM »
Wench, thanx for that review. It is showing for a week at my local big screen with great sound. I was thinking it would be 'boring' since it was a documentary. 

But maybe I will find it interesting with the 'inside Bowie's head' style.   

I wonder how much of his music he actually wrote. I got the impression he was more like a producer than a musician, and used a lot of other talented people to create his music. Not sure.

Whoever created it, it was great stuff, imo.   

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1911 on: September 26, 2022, 12:34:59 PM »
Wench, thanx for that review. It is showing for a week at my local big screen with great sound. I was thinking it would be 'boring' since it was a documentary. 

But maybe I will find it interesting with the 'inside Bowie's head' style.   

I wonder how much of his music he actually wrote. I got the impression he was more like a producer than a musician, and used a lot of other talented people to create his music. Not sure.

Whoever created it, it was great stuff, imo.

He wrote nearly all of his own material, which is voluminous (at least 400 songs). Some notable famous songs were co-written (e.g., China Girl was originally co written with and for Iggy Pop, Fame was co-written with John Lennon, Under Pressure was co-written with Queen), and he credits other musicians as co-writers on many tracks, but behold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_David_Bowie

I personally think his particular genius was his excellent ability to find collaborators that improved him and challenged him and scared him and brought additional material to the table. There's innumerable examples of this, but most notably:

Mick Ronson and Mike Garson (starting in the Ziggy era, but Garson worked on a bunch of his stuff post 1980s as well, and brought that avant-garde jazz influenced piano).

Brian Eno, impressive credentials on his own and a crucial collaborator from the late 70s on to the mid 90s. 

Stevie Ray Vaughan, whom Bowie essentially broke into the big-time by picking him from obscurity for the lead guitar on the Let's Dance album.

Nile Rodgers (legend in his own right)

Luther Vandross (same)

Robert Fripp, bringing that crazy guitar sound to the Heroes album, etc

He also tended to give away (or try to give away) songs to other people to support their careers, or try to boost young stars by covering them. E.g., lots of material given to Iggy (often cowritten), attempted to give Golden Years to Elvis (who foolishly did not take it, his loss), he was an early admirer of Springsteen and attempted to boost him, gave All the Young Dudes away to Mott the Hoople etc.

He was a big 'cross-pollinator' for sure.

None of that is covered in this doc, though.  There are plenty of docs out there about the dates, names, places and so on though. Recently, the Five Years and Last Five Years docs covered his rise to superstardom and his OG gangster exit leading up to his death.

ETA: Forgot to mention I always think it's strange that his great gifts as a singer aren't more discussed. Four octave range, one of the biggest in pop music. I have always wondered if the reason it isn't noted more is b/c his biggest hits often were sung in his rather pinched high chest tenor, rather than his natural baritone.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 12:40:02 PM by wenchsenior »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1912 on: September 26, 2022, 02:36:29 PM »
We just saw We Have Always Lived in the Castle and I think it’s one of the better Shirley Jackson adaptations. They got Sebastian Stan to play Cousin Charles and he nails the terrible smiling entitlement.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1913 on: September 26, 2022, 06:44:51 PM »
We just saw We Have Always Lived in the Castle and I think it’s one of the better Shirley Jackson adaptations. They got Sebastian Stan to play Cousin Charles and he nails the terrible smiling entitlement.

omg, thanks for alerting me to this. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1914 on: September 26, 2022, 07:17:47 PM »

omg, thanks for alerting me to this.

Same!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1915 on: September 30, 2022, 07:29:30 AM »
Just watched Vengeance with Nic Cage. It was OK. Enjoyable. Not my favorite Cage movie, but worth watching, imo.   

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1916 on: September 30, 2022, 10:00:16 AM »
Watched "Wrath of Man" *ing Jason Statham, a Guy Ritchie film.
It is decent, but wouldn't pay to watch on the big screen.
It ain't no LS&2SB or Snatch. But lots of Ritchie's usual flashbacks use.
Not bad, but not great. Decent to pass time, such as Hurricane Ian.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1917 on: October 01, 2022, 06:31:13 PM »
'Ambulance' is on Prime for free, and what a ride!  I know it's Michael Bay being all pop-corny big explosions and whatnot, but it's really good!  Even had a few touching moments that hit harder than the crashing cars.  Not disappointed, definitely better than the Transformers N+1 cash-ins.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1918 on: October 02, 2022, 11:35:40 AM »
"Beta Test".  I enjoyed this movie. About a 20 something Wall Street bro, who is about to get married. He finds a letter in his inbox inviting him to an anonymous  sexual encounter, for a fee. The letter asks him to check off all his sex fantasies. He does so.

He goes to the encounter (not telling his fiancee, of course). The woman he meets there does fulfill his fantasies (which he apparently does not do with his fiancee).

There is an evil computer nerd who compiles dossiers of everyone's sexual styles by harvesting their social media history. He matches them up with others, then sends out the invitations.  Evil nerd gets beaten up, but is allowed to live. 

Cut to the chase. Fiancee finds out about his kinky side, forgives him, does not break up with him.   Don't know if she gets into his kink, or not.

Good acting. Some plot holes, or it was just too fast for me, maybe.

Fun.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1919 on: October 02, 2022, 06:22:05 PM »
Working my way through the first season of "Ted Lasso". I've been told by so many people that it's a great show, but finally seeing it...yeah, they're right. I'm almost done with Season 1.

There's something so wholesome about it. Highly recommended.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1920 on: October 03, 2022, 10:04:47 AM »
We had a mini 70s-era spy movie streak, with Day of the Jackal and Three Days of the Condor.  Neither were great movies, though they were interesting artifcats of their time.  I decided that if it's between women being almost non-existent or having a bigger role but as a character that is basically sub-human, I'd prefer the former.  Thank goodness things have gotten better since then.

I just saw Shantaram has been made into a movie. I'm a little scared because I was so taken by that book (I loved it for its description of the Indian head bobble and the funny scene with the over-underwear and the under-underwear) and it is a favorite of such a broad cross section of my loved ones.  No wonder they wanted to make a movie of it - maybe just a surprise it took so long.  But could a movie possibly do it justice?  Looking forward to some reviews of it here.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1921 on: October 03, 2022, 01:15:03 PM »
We had a mini 70s-era spy movie streak, with Day of the Jackal and Three Days of the Condor.  Neither were great movies, though they were interesting artifcats of their time.  I decided that if it's between women being almost non-existent or having a bigger role but as a character that is basically sub-human, I'd prefer the former.  Thank goodness things have gotten better since then.
Same, this way I can at least pretend there were women around and surely some of them were up to something interesting, but just weren't shown in the particular story I was watching.  More progress to go for sure in terms of leads and visible roles, but it is better in these last few decades.  Makes me cringe at the 199,950 years of human REALITY before the 1970s that were even worse for women but I digress.

My household has watched Elvis, House of Gucci, and Hocus Pocus 2 lately.  I think the review of Tom Hanks acting as 'Kentucky Fried Goldmember" is pretty accurate - and even if that's how the Dutch carnie really was and sounded in real life, it was so distracting/laughable.   If I heard the phrase "snow job" one more time I was about to start punching walls.  The costumes and look were excellent.  Austin Butler did a nice job and I am glad they didn't torture the audience with extending the struggles at the end of his life too much.

I think Gaga did an excellent job but you're just signing up to watch a trainwreck of excess - not my cup of tea and it has very little rewatch value.  Jared Leto overacts everything, he's not my fave.  I don't even think Pacino, Irons, et al. were that bad, just the characters didn't give me much to resonate with.  You have spoiled adults acting like children in the world of overconsumption.  No one deserves to die but during the journey I found I didn't care who ultimately ended up with control of the company as no one in the family was a great solution that would make you feel like the protagonist "won".  Plus, if a stupid luxury brand withers and dies...who cares?

Hocus Pocus 2 was about as expected - lighthearted, corny, some funny but mostly stupid moments.  I'm sure I'll get talked into adding that to the fall/Halloween rotation for years to come, ah well, I don't regret it and was entertained!  I have to say, Kathy Najimy looks great! 

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1922 on: October 04, 2022, 06:52:40 AM »
Watched "The Visit" for the first time ever. A solid entry by M. Night Shyamalan! It was creepy in the right ways and the last chunk had me completely enraptured. Not an amazing film or anything, but a really enjoyable horror movie.

Kathryn Hahn cashed the easiest paycheck of her life. Must have been 2-3 days on set. The kids did a good job overall but had the standard Shyamalan-isms that all the "young people" do in his films. It was good enough that I may dust off a few of his other films and see how they hold up.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1923 on: October 08, 2022, 04:33:57 PM »
I just watched the 2019 thriller The Lodge.  It was great!  Good plot and nothing that ruined my suspension of disbelief.  If I had done better setting my own ambience (not watching it during sunny daylight hours and playing solitaire on my phone compulsively), I might have even been creeped out a bit.  No big scare-jumps, but lots of slow building creepiness.  Definitely recommend it for anyone planning a Halloween fright-fest this month.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1924 on: October 13, 2022, 09:08:07 PM »
Tried to watch "Everything, Everywhere, All at Once".  First 10 minutes were painful. Fast forwarded to about a half hour in. Now even worse. Ejected it. Unwatchable.
imho.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1925 on: October 14, 2022, 07:36:29 AM »
Tried to watch "Everything, Everywhere, All at Once".  First 10 minutes were painful. Fast forwarded to about a half hour in. Now even worse. Ejected it. Unwatchable.
imho.

Weird approach to the film.  I'd argue that any movie where you can skip a 20 minute chunk (especially at the beginning!) and continue happily watching is almost certainly a bad movie.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1926 on: October 15, 2022, 09:25:01 AM »
imho.

Weird approach to the film.  I'd argue that any movie where you can skip a 20 minute chunk (especially at the beginning!) and continue happily watching is almost certainly a bad movie.

Agree, I'm not sure how that can give you any indication on what sort of movie you're watching...

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1927 on: October 15, 2022, 10:05:43 AM »
Just watched "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent" because Amazon had a 99 cent rental.  I liked it much more than I thought I would.  I usually like "weird" indie films, David Lynch, etc..so this was an interesting departure for me. 

As for Nic Cage movies, I recently watched "Kill Chain" and thought it was interesting.

With that said, I have "The Northman", "The Wanting Mare", "The Green Knight", "Lapsis", "the Endless", and "the Void" queued up...which one doesn't belong?  Haha...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 10:08:14 AM by farmecologist »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1928 on: October 15, 2022, 01:21:09 PM »
I’ve started going to the film sessions at the Art Gallery. Last week it was Friends and Strangers which was an odd little film that was also ominous and still and visually delicious. No idea what it was attempting to achieve other than tone but it certainly nailed that.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1929 on: October 15, 2022, 05:10:09 PM »
imho.

Agree, I'm not sure how that can give you any indication on what sort of movie you're watching...

Easy. First 10 minutes is uninteresting acting, annoying characters, lots of running around and busyness happening (maybe some people like that).

Fast forward 20 minutes or so, and see if anything has changed, like a character has appeared who is likable,  the frenetic activity has calmed down, maybe.  If so, rewind movie to beginning and give it another chance.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 05:15:07 PM by slackmax »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1930 on: October 15, 2022, 05:27:25 PM »
imho.

Easy. First 10 minutes is uninteresting acting, annoying characters, lots of running around and busyness happening (maybe some people like that).

Fast forward 20 minutes or so, and see if anything has changed, like a character has appeared who is likable,  the frenetic activity has calmed down, maybe.  If so, rewind movie to beginning and give it another chance.

Yeah, I do this with books sometimes. Flip ahead a bit to see if something is happening that seems intriguing enough for me to want to find out how we got there.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1931 on: October 16, 2022, 10:25:12 AM »
Friday, with Ice Cube and Chris Tucker. It's still funny, so many good comedians in it.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1932 on: October 16, 2022, 03:39:35 PM »
King Richard is now on Au Netflix so we watched that at the weekend, about the Williams tennis family. I don't now how accurate the story is but I was totally engaged, enjoyed it. I imagine it may have glossed over some of the more difficult parts within the family unit. There was a blink and you'll miss it mention of the dad's extra-marital kids right near the end? But overall I didn't know their backstory so it was fascinating learning about their dad's 'plan' for his girls.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1933 on: October 19, 2022, 07:24:09 AM »
"Give or Take". About a son whose father has turned gay later in life, and has a gay partner. Son became estranged from father for the last 20 years. Father dies, and son has to go up to the Cape Cod home to sell it.

The partner is still living in the house. Son lets him continue to live there. Partner is not in the will.

I liked this movie because of the main theme, plus the fun subplots. Greedy local realtor lady. Wacky stoner pool maintenance guy. Cute former girl friend of the son is a bartender in town, but is now married.  The current girl friend, who is from NYC and is self-obsessed narcissist, and drives out to see him in Cape Cod unannounced.   

Nice pacing. Human interest, which I like.

Believable acting and believable situations. 

And the gay partner is not portrayed as a stereotype, like the gay guys in 'Modern Family' sitcom. That was a huge breath of fresh air, lol. 

Sort of like a Hallmark Channel movie, but better.

Lots of great Cape Cod scenery.   

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1934 on: October 19, 2022, 08:04:38 AM »
Mr Harrington’s Phone on Netflix. Based on a Stephen king story. It’s a bit slow and not scary, but I really enjoyed the story and characters. Reviews weren’t great, however, it might just appeal to a smaller group of people.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1935 on: November 07, 2022, 08:13:56 PM »
Don't Worry Darling.  This one will linger with me for a while...

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1936 on: November 08, 2022, 06:35:12 AM »
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

This one had me rolling with laughter. Great flick with a LOT of liberties on reality. Meant more as a satire of musician biopics and the weird changes they make to people's lives to try and turn them into more interesting 90 minute stories. Worth your time if you like a good laugh or have ever been a listener of Weird Al.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1937 on: November 08, 2022, 07:30:58 AM »
"All Quiet on the Western Front" now on Netflix.  Felix Kammerer did a fantastic job as the main character, Paul.  It's pretty intense as the entire film centers on the last months and days of WW1.   Sixteen million military deaths - what a bloodbath.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1938 on: November 09, 2022, 03:23:09 AM »
for family movie night recently (2 adults and kids aged 10 and 14) we have watched:

Edward Scissorhands (Disney plus I think) - really enjoyed this and the 14 year old loved it but 10 year old found it quite scary

Mulan (Disney plus)- the recent live action one.  This was chosen by the 10 year old but we all enjoyed it.  The actress who plays Mulan is amazing. Beautiful scenes of China too.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - a classic and both kids enjoyed it.  Aged quite well.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1939 on: November 09, 2022, 01:56:45 PM »
Last Night in Soho Extremely stylish, interesting premise...started out fine and then collapsed in a complete muddle in the last third. Also way too long.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. A supposed classic that I've never seen. I'm an hour and a half in, so I might as well finish it but oof, am I ever struggling.  This is not very good at all and is another one that is WAY too long.  I guess I should have been warned when the opening scene was so bad. Sonoran Desert my ass LOL.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1940 on: November 09, 2022, 07:26:10 PM »
Last Night in Soho Extremely stylish, interesting premise...started out fine and then collapsed in a complete muddle in the last third. Also way too long.

OMG, we just watched that a couple weeks ago, too, and we were like, "What are we watching?" It was weird and I wish I could remember where I got the rec to watch it.

Last weekend we watched Roman Holiday.  Audrey Hepburn playing yet another (mostly0 vacuous character but I thought it had a lot more substance to it, by then end, than Breakfast at Tiffany's for instance.  So I'm glad I finally saw this classic.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1941 on: November 10, 2022, 08:48:20 AM »

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. A supposed classic that I've never seen. I'm an hour and a half in, so I might as well finish it but oof, am I ever struggling.  This is not very good at all and is another one that is WAY too long.  I guess I should have been warned when the opening scene was so bad. Sonoran Desert my ass LOL.

For once, I'm going to defend a movie, ha ha. I liked Last Night in Soho. Mainly because of the Sixties London scenes, and the beautiful, captivating  and talented actresses. And I actually understood the 'complicated' plot. Usually I give up trying to make sense of plots. But this one made sense to me, ha ha.

As for Close Encounters. I agree with you. Not a very interesting movie. Just lots of tedious sci fi scenes with humans gawking in awe. But they thought this movie was 'epic' back in the day, no? Ha ha.   

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1942 on: November 10, 2022, 11:32:17 AM »

For once, I'm going to defend a movie, ha ha. I liked Last Night in Soho. Mainly because of the Sixties London scenes, and the beautiful, captivating  and talented actresses. And I actually understood the 'complicated' plot. Usually I give up trying to make sense of plots. But this one made sense to me, ha ha.

As for Close Encounters. I agree with you. Not a very interesting movie. Just lots of tedious sci fi scenes with humans gawking in awe. But they thought this movie was 'epic' back in the day, no? Ha ha.

LNiS didn't have a confusing plot. It was a muddle in terms of the fact that introduced a bunch of themes and elements and then didn't properly handle any of them. The main plot was fine. It was the length and mishandling of a bunch of elements that were a mess. Anya Taylor Joy was great, given limited material.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1943 on: November 10, 2022, 12:01:51 PM »

LNiS didn't have a confusing plot. It was a muddle in terms of the fact that introduced a bunch of themes and elements and then didn't properly handle any of them. The main plot was fine. It was the length and mishandling of a bunch of elements that were a mess. Anya Taylor Joy was great, given limited material.

Yeah, the movie just tried to be too many things at once.  Rom-com, coming of age tale for a motherless daughter, "mean girls" chick flick, horror?  You don't always have to choose just one, but that's just too many to execute on.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1944 on: November 12, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
Licorice Pizza, another movie by an accomplished filmmaker whose work I normally like; rather shaggy, episodic film about some young people hanging out in 70s California, with a vibe reminiscent of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or Almost Famous. It was very enjoyable up to the end, when it completely bungled what I clearly perceived to be its main themes with a truly morally questionable ending. So that was very disappointing, esp b/c the performances were all great, and the script was sharp (until the face-plant at the end).

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1945 on: November 13, 2022, 12:28:53 PM »
Match Point by Woody Allen. Enjoyable drama with some nice foreshadowing (Dostoyevsky, tragic opera!) and some good plot twists.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1946 on: November 14, 2022, 08:45:33 AM »
Had been hesitant to see The Goldfinch, since I loved the book and the movie is roundly panned.  But I thought they did a nice job.  I enjoyed the movie for the most part and DH, who had not read the book, also thought it was a worthwhile watch. 

Also saw After the Wedding recently with Julianne Moore and Michelle Williams.  Pretty good.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1947 on: November 14, 2022, 11:48:20 AM »
Enola Holmes 2. We really enjoyed the first and now second movie. I thought the second one was a little slow to get rolling but loved the ending. Hopeful for a third installment.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1948 on: November 16, 2022, 08:37:49 PM »
Where the Crawdads Sing - I loved the book, so I was a little nervous to watch the movie as they are not usually as good as the book, but I really enjoyed it. It was well done, and very true to the book.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1949 on: November 17, 2022, 01:58:57 AM »
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

This one had me rolling with laughter. Great flick with a LOT of liberties on reality. Meant more as a satire of musician biopics and the weird changes they make to people's lives to try and turn them into more interesting 90 minute stories. Worth your time if you like a good laugh or have ever been a listener of Weird Al.

I really want to see this with my teen who is a huge Weird al fan.  However, it doesn't seem to be coming out in theaters here in Italy (probably because Weird Al's songs just don't translate well so he was never famous here).  Is this streaming anywhere?  Where did you watch it?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!