Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 506454 times)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #1400 on: July 05, 2021, 07:48:36 AM »
Wrath of Man (2021)

A typical Jason Statham shoot'em up movie. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1401 on: July 05, 2021, 06:22:00 PM »
I loved her in Nurse Jackie ETA and in The Walking Dead

I liked her in the first couple of seasons of nurse Jackie but then I became tired of Nurse Jackie and meritt Weaver  was a big reason for my fatigue.

She got a big role in Unbelievable and even won an Emmy but I don’t see the greatness. But then, II didn’t think that production was all that great.

Maybe she’s getting a lot of love because she’s not a typical pretty face in Hollywood, I don’t know.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 06:26:08 PM by iris lily »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1402 on: July 15, 2021, 08:20:06 PM »
'The Nest' with Jude Law and Carrie Coon.

Supposed to be a horror movie, but isn't.  Good movie, though. I liked Carrie Coon as the superbi**h who loves to abuse her husband Jude Law.

Good acting, keeps your interest. 

I hated the ending, but I still recommend this movie.     

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1403 on: July 19, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
"Beguiled" with Nicole Kidman and Kirsten Dunst.  Set in Civil war south where Nicole owns a young ladies boarding school and a single Union soldier shows up.
Engaging, a good Sunday afternoon film

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1404 on: July 19, 2021, 01:00:46 PM »

Boss Baby 2: Family Business
A cute sequel to the first movie. I don't remember watching the first one, but it didn't seem to effect the story for me.  A DreamWorks film is normally a safe bet for a family friendly movie. Apparently there is also a Netflix series "The boss Baby: Back in Business" which has been running for 4 seasons who knew...   

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1405 on: July 19, 2021, 10:00:14 PM »
"Back When We Were Grownups" on Prime Video. Oh god, it's my life in ten or so years. Give me a bigger station wagon, more kids, and more responsibility and I'm there. But seriously, Blythe Danner is so good, and there's a respectable supporting cast (Faye Dunaway! Jack Palance!) and a decent script.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1406 on: July 19, 2021, 10:06:27 PM »
I have enjoyed recently:

My Octopus Teacher (on Netflix)
   This is one of the best films I've seen over the past few years. Full disclosure: I'm a
   nature-show nerd.

Werewolves Within
   Need a hilarious break from reality? Here you go. You're welcome.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1407 on: July 21, 2021, 07:57:25 AM »
'Peppermint' starring Jennifer Garner.

I give it a 4 out of 5.  Just because I liked this type of movie.  I think most people would give it a 3.

It's got Jennifer Garner being a vigilante psycho who is killing bad guy Mexican drug dealers  left and right,  since they killed her family and a corrupt judge let the killers go free.  She kills the Anglo corrupt judge too.

She's the latest Charles Bronson incarnation.

Like all these vigilante movies, she has a magical power to make the bad guys freeze in front of her, guns drawn, politely waiting for her to shoot them. That's OK.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1408 on: July 21, 2021, 11:56:16 AM »
Like all these vigilante movies, she has a magical power to make the bad guys freeze in front of her, guns drawn, politely waiting for her to shoot them. That's OK.

The other common magical power is during hand to hand combat with multiple bad guys instead of all attacking at once they take their turns and seem to take advantage when they have the chance.  ;)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1409 on: July 22, 2021, 08:09:12 AM »
'Sharp Objects' starring Amy Adams. It's an HBO miniseries. About Amy Adams as a journalist who is sent to her hometown to do a story on unsolved murders.  Lots of interesting plot tidbits, like Amy Adams character likes to play old Led Zeppelin music in her car.

I have watched the first episode. and I like it so far, mainly due to Amy Adams's character being likable.     

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1410 on: July 22, 2021, 08:15:26 AM »
There isn't 'old' Led Zeppelin music!

That stuff is timeless.

( Ask Greta Van Fleet  :P  )

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1411 on: July 23, 2021, 07:29:01 AM »
There isn't 'old' Led Zeppelin music!

That stuff is timeless.

( Ask Greta Van Fleet  :P  )

Yes, and I'm a fan!  I have Led Zeppelin 1 and 3 on vinyl. Will not sell them. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1412 on: July 23, 2021, 07:40:22 AM »
Made me look up Greta Van Fleet, whom I had not heard of before. I see they are a rock band that sounds like Zeppelin.
I will check them out!   

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1413 on: July 23, 2021, 07:27:36 PM »
Tropic Thunder...  it has been a while, and it only gets better with age (and somehow becoming increasingly inappropriate)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1414 on: August 20, 2021, 04:59:55 PM »
We went to see The Suicide Squad today and it was really quite good. I love a good apology movie, and this one delivered in making up for the abomination of the last one.

Also, I adore rats.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1415 on: August 20, 2021, 06:13:48 PM »
Late to the party, but Nomadland and I'll concur with others that said it was excellent. 

Frances McDormand is such a virtuoso.  I mean, I know Meryl Streep is who people generally say is possibly the best actor of the....decade? century?  but I honestly don't know if it was a stand off between these two would win. Would love to see them in something together, though doesn't look like they have done?  Did see that FM now has more lead actress oscars than ML, not that that is definitive, but I'm by no means the first to wonder about these two amazing actors side by side.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1416 on: August 21, 2021, 08:36:55 AM »
Watched "Let Him Go" on Netflix.  Set in 1960 Montana and North Dakota, a retired sheriff and his wife set out to find their young grandson who disappeared with his mother and new husband. 
Stars Kevin Costner, Diane Lane and the wonderful British actress Lesley Manville.    Liked it very much, a real little gem.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1417 on: August 21, 2021, 09:06:46 AM »
Tropic Thunder...  it has been a while, and it only gets better with age (and somehow becoming increasingly inappropriate)

Yes, I just re-watched this recently. So many great lines.

My wife saw a meme yesterday that used a clip from Step Brothers so we decided to watch that last night. I remembered a lot of great lines but it had been a few years since I last saw it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1418 on: August 21, 2021, 10:24:42 AM »
"Beguiled" with Nicole Kidman and Kirsten Dunst.  Set in Civil war south where Nicole owns a young ladies boarding school and a single Union soldier shows up.
Engaging, a good Sunday afternoon film

I made special effort to watch this movie when it came out because it featured Colin Farrell who I love. The film was decent, nothing great, but decent.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1419 on: August 23, 2021, 06:47:04 AM »

Even going in knowing this would be an over the top action film so I should suppress my knowledge of physics and reality there were a number of things that felt like a "bridge" too far. I wonder if the goal was to make a spoof action film with this instalment?  The story line and editing and cutting of the scenes together felt off and didn't always make sense. 

Maybe other enjoyed this, but I found it a waste of time.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1420 on: August 23, 2021, 09:33:40 AM »
Nobody (2021)   Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul) get a chance to blow things up and fire about a million rounds of ammo.  Plot seemed contrived and used as a means to allow for blowing things up.  Magically only minor injuries for the good guys.  Became absurd at the end.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1421 on: August 23, 2021, 10:23:38 AM »
We watched Paper Tigers on Netflix.  Its a funny, entertaining, martial arts film.  Its very well done for such a low budget film--- about $1 million and shot in 35 days.  From what I read, the director wrote the film based on his childhood experiences and rejected Hollywood's attempts to replace his characters with white actors, so funding was raised independently to produce it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1422 on: August 27, 2021, 07:20:40 PM »
Just finished Remains Of The Day, which I had never seen before.

It's very British, very sad.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1423 on: September 01, 2021, 10:40:42 AM »
'Guest Artist' starring Jeff Daniels as an alcoholic pulitzer prize winner screenplay writer who isn't working up to par since the prize.

Most of the movie takes place at a train station, and looks like a play, as Jeff Daniels argues with, and advises the young driver, who is supposed to take him to some event, about writing and self awareness, etc.   

I liked it a lot. It's a recent movie, but no one has ever heard of it, apparently. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1424 on: September 01, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »
'Guest Artist' starring Jeff Daniels as an alcoholic pulitzer prize winner screenplay writer who isn't working up to par since the prize.

Most of the movie takes place at a train station, and looks like a play, as Jeff Daniels argues with, and advises the young driver, who is supposed to take him to some event, about writing and self awareness, etc.   

I liked it a lot. It's a recent movie, but no one has ever heard of it, apparently.

That sounds like the most Jeff Daniels role ever.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1425 on: September 01, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »

That sounds like the most Jeff Daniels role ever.

He completely owns it, Malcat.   

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1426 on: September 01, 2021, 11:04:38 PM »
Goldstone which is about small-town corruption in an Outback mining "town". Indigenous detective comes to investigate a missing person case and it all spirals from there. Really good, beautifully bleak setting, like super-arid noir style film-making. Really sparse and Australian, phenomenal acting. Worth a look.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1427 on: September 03, 2021, 03:36:28 PM »
One of the hosts of a movie podcast I listen to is a big Russell Crowe fan, which inspired me to rewatch Gladiator and State of Play. Gladiator, of course, is amazing. The only time I had seen it was at a friend's house with so-so audio (and back then I was too shy to ask for the closed captioning) so I missed a lot. State of Play is pretty workmanlike, but a pretty stellar cast. I love Rachel McAdams and she doesn't work nearly enough.

Stumbled across 10 Years on HBOMax which is a movie about a ten-year high school reunion which also has a tremendous cast--everyone from Channing Tatum to Oscar Isaac. The movie itself is just OK but I enjoyed it.

Also treated my niece and myself to Black Widow on streaming. We thought it was fine, and appreciated all the strong female characters, but I don't think it's something I'll go back to. I wish they had put it in its proper place in the MCU timeline instead of making it a flashback--it was harder to enjoy, especially the family reunion aspect, knowing what was coming up. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1428 on: September 03, 2021, 06:49:48 PM »
Saw Candyman (2021) today, not sure I can recommend.  Visually stunning but a bit of a mess, bits weren't clear. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1429 on: September 03, 2021, 09:09:21 PM »
We just saw Gainsbourg:A Heroic Life which was interesting and also confirmed my belief that I have zero patience for Male Geniuses and Their Needs. Acting was great, visual style was great, phenomenal music throughout, a lot of fun, a portrait of a dude who is *exhausting*.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1430 on: September 03, 2021, 09:24:02 PM »
We just saw Gainsbourg:A Heroic Life which was interesting and also confirmed my belief that I have zero patience for Male Geniuses and Their Needs. Acting was great, visual style was great, phenomenal music throughout, a lot of fun, a portrait of a dude who is *exhausting*.

This is so true.

I had to stop watching biopics about brilliant, influential men because I couldn't deal anymore with watching movies about dudes being pricks.

I don't need to know how the sausage is made.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1431 on: September 03, 2021, 11:53:50 PM »
Cinderella on Prime - not what I expected, but in a good way!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1432 on: September 05, 2021, 05:33:36 AM »
One of the hosts of a movie podcast I listen to is a big Russell Crowe fan, which inspired me to rewatch Gladiator and State of Play. Gladiator, of course, is amazing. The only time I had seen it was at a friend's house with so-so audio (and back then I was too shy to ask for the closed captioning) so I missed a lot. State of Play is pretty workmanlike, but a pretty stellar cast. I love Rachel McAdams and she doesn't work nearly enough.

Stumbled across 10 Years on HBOMax which is a movie about a ten-year high school reunion which also has a tremendous cast--everyone from Channing Tatum to Oscar Isaac. The movie itself is just OK but I enjoyed it.

Also treated my niece and myself to Black Widow on streaming. We thought it was fine, and appreciated all the strong female characters, but I don't think it's something I'll go back to. I wish they had put it in its proper place in the MCU timeline instead of making it a flashback--it was harder to enjoy, especially the family reunion aspect, knowing what was coming up.

It's been a few months since I rewatched it but The Next Three Days is Russel Crowe movie that came out about 10 years ago. It's also got Elizabeth Banks playing a serious role (and doing pretty well at it). Liam Neeson makes a brief appearance. Basic story is a guy's wife is jailed for murder and he tries to figure out how to break her out and get away. The catch is he's a normal guy so trying to do something like get a fake passport doesn't go well. "Hey Uber driver, can you take me to some seedy bar where criminals hang out that will sell me a working fake ID?" My wife and I originally came across it several years ago and enjoyed it.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1433 on: September 05, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »
Lily Topples the World is a documentary about Lily Hevesh, the #1 domino artist in the world.  This film has been winning awards at film festivals, including the Grand Jury Award for Best Documentary at SXSW.  Lily is a Chinese adoptee who began making domino art at age 9, where you set up intricate designs of dominoes over many days and then set the array in motion---which lasts a few seconds.  I watched the film with my adult daughter (by signing up for a free week's trial with Discovery Plus).  We both loved it.  I would also especially recommend this movie for girls ages 7-20 as it shows Lily growing into her role as a businesswoman, as well as an artist.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1434 on: September 06, 2021, 09:13:08 AM »
"Worth", the story of the 9/11 Victim's Compensation Fund, on Netflix.

Flawed, but absolutely worth the watch. It has a lot of ground to cover and deals with unanswerable questions, but there are too many compelling moments and wrenching stories to be put off by the fact that some things just can't be resolved in a two hour movie, or ever. When 9/11 happened, as a nation, we swore, "Never again." Now is a good time to be reminded of that.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1435 on: September 06, 2021, 11:26:06 AM »
"The Father" - last year's award winning movie about dementia.  Really great actors and innovative approach to the production definitely brings the viewer in to the confusion that people with dementia experience.  Wasn't perfect, but it's fascinating and Olivia Colman, in particular, was amazing.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #1436 on: September 06, 2021, 03:46:44 PM »
Goldstone which is about small-town corruption in an Outback mining "town". Indigenous detective comes to investigate a missing person case and it all spirals from there. Really good, beautifully bleak setting, like super-arid noir style film-making. Really sparse and Australian, phenomenal acting. Worth a look.

That sounds really cool!

Did you see it on Tubi?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1437 on: September 06, 2021, 05:30:30 PM »

That sounds really cool!

Did you see it on Tubi?
It was on SBS Online, which you might be able to access. (fingers crossed - it's online, so seems plausible)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1438 on: September 07, 2021, 07:24:57 AM »

Watched the original Space Jam movie with Michael Jordan. We haven't seen the new one yet, and the kids never saw this one so thought we might as well watch this one first before the new one.   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1439 on: September 07, 2021, 07:37:48 AM »

Watched the original Space Jam movie with Michael Jordan. We haven't seen the new one yet, and the kids never saw this one so thought we might as well watch this one first before the new one.   

For a two hour marketing tool with no discernable plot and some pretty terrible acting, Space Jam distinguishes itself as being very middle of the pack.  I haven't seen the second one though . . . so maybe they turned the series around?

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1440 on: September 07, 2021, 01:15:24 PM »

For a two hour marketing tool with no discernable plot and some pretty terrible acting, Space Jam distinguishes itself as being very middle of the pack.  I haven't seen the second one though . . . so maybe they turned the series around?

Yes I noticed there was a lot of product placement in the movie (McDonalds).  No Oscar material, but for a mix of real and animation it was a fun family movie I wasn't disappointed.  I might be bias as I like everything with Bill Murray in it. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1441 on: September 09, 2021, 11:20:34 AM »
With the Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) trial starting up - https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/elizabeth-holmes-trial-theranos - I'm working my way through "The Inventor: Out For Blood in Silicon Valley" (HBO Max).  Has anyone else seen it?  Just the beginning of the documentary already has me on the edge of my seat to see what happens in this trial!  You can only play so many games in court, as opposed to IRL, but the games are different and should offer a fuller picture when the dust settles...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1442 on: September 09, 2021, 02:45:49 PM »
Another Round turned up on SBS so I got to see Ofpym watch and correctly appreciate it (this was the last film I got to see in a cinema with a friend)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1443 on: September 09, 2021, 10:33:15 PM »
Another Round turned up on SBS so I got to see Ofpym watch and correctly appreciate it (this was the last film I got to see in a cinema with a friend)

So good.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1444 on: September 10, 2021, 05:36:58 AM »
With the Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) trial starting up - https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/elizabeth-holmes-trial-theranos - I'm working my way through "The Inventor: Out For Blood in Silicon Valley" (HBO Max).  Has anyone else seen it?  Just the beginning of the documentary already has me on the edge of my seat to see what happens in this trial!  You can only play so many games in court, as opposed to IRL, but the games are different and should offer a fuller picture when the dust settles...

Definitely check out the book Bad Blood, it has much more detail and shows that it's even more crazy than the documentary.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #1445 on: September 12, 2021, 08:01:03 PM »
"Caveman" (1981) with Ringo Starr and Shelly Long.
Best parts were the dinosaur animation sequences.

"Jungle Cruise" (2021)
In a word, I found this movie to be quite 'frenetic'.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1446 on: September 14, 2021, 06:37:33 PM »
'Tenet', a sci fi movie with lots of shoot em up and car chases going on.

I gave it 45 minutes, then gave up on it. No real 'drama', just lots of action and special effects.  Not my thing. I guess I thought this sci fi movie might be different, lol.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1447 on: September 14, 2021, 06:49:47 PM »

I gave it 45 minutes, then gave up on it. No real 'drama', just lots of action and special effects.  Not my thing. I guess I thought this sci fi movie might be different, lol.
I find Christopher Nolan films to be nearly all vile trash heaps.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1448 on: September 14, 2021, 07:25:13 PM »

He's a guy I often find myself disappointed with.  I didn't think Inception was as clever as everyone else did, and was very disappointed with Tenet . . . it is possible to convey confusing information to a viewer in a way that makes sense, but this movie really missed the mark on that.  Interstellar lost me right about the time it declared love the deus ex machina that 'solved' the problems in the plot.

I really liked the Prestige and Memento though, both were great films.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1449 on: September 15, 2021, 10:50:18 AM »

He's a guy I often find myself disappointed with.  I didn't think Inception was as clever as everyone else did, and was very disappointed with Tenet . . . it is possible to convey confusing information to a viewer in a way that makes sense, but this movie really missed the mark on that.  Interstellar lost me right about the time it declared love the deus ex machina that 'solved' the problems in the plot.

I really liked the Prestige and Memento though, both were great films.

Yup.  I do appreciate that Nolan takes big swings.  I appreciate that a lot. But his reach usually exceeds his grasp.