Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501259 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #1600 on: January 24, 2022, 11:42:37 AM »
'Eraserhead'. Can't recommend this movie. But you might like it. I think it is interesting so far. Watched about an hour. Very weird, one of a kind movie. Sci fi. Bizarre people and events. Black and white. Plot holes everywhere. Very interesting though. Worth watching for sci fi freaks and film buffs, maybe. Cult classic?

While researching this movie I found out that it was directed by David Lynch, the same guy who directed the 1984 version of Dune. I liked the 1984 version better, by the way. 

I've read about this movie . . . it's one of those artsy movies that had a big impact on a lot of people.  I've been interested in checking it out some day, but will definitely have to be in the right mood.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1601 on: January 24, 2022, 04:26:06 PM »
'Eraserhead'. Can't recommend this movie. But you might like it. I think it is interesting so far. Watched about an hour. Very weird, one of a kind movie. Sci fi. Bizarre people and events. Black and white. Plot holes everywhere. Very interesting though. Worth watching for sci fi freaks and film buffs, maybe. Cult classic?

While researching this movie I found out that it was directed by David Lynch, the same guy who directed the 1984 version of Dune. I liked the 1984 version better, by the way. 

I've read about this movie . . . it's one of those artsy movies that had a big impact on a lot of people.  I've been interested in checking it out some day, but will definitely have to be in the right mood.
Eraserhead is worth watching for the vibe, as long as you can stand it. It's good psychological horror. Maybe watch The Straight Story afterwards to cleanse the palette.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1602 on: January 25, 2022, 06:25:33 PM »

Eraserhead is worth watching for the vibe, as long as you can stand it. It's good psychological horror. Maybe watch The Straight Story afterwards to cleanse the palette.

Already saw it. Not bad.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1603 on: January 29, 2022, 08:22:16 PM »
I watched The Way with Martin Sheen tonight and found it very moving. It's about a father that walks the Camino de Santiago in honor of his deceased son.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1604 on: February 13, 2022, 07:29:08 AM »
Yesterday watched Bad Moms. Movie is about 6 years old but really cute and funny at times!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1605 on: February 13, 2022, 07:41:27 AM »
"Jasper Mall" - a year in the life of a dying shopping mall in Jasper, Alabama.  Strangely compelling, a real slice of smaller-town life and the economics around that.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11262098/

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1606 on: February 13, 2022, 10:14:07 AM »
Training Day with Denzel Washington.  I think this is a famous movie I just never saw at the time.  I definitely recognized the "King Kong ain't got nuthin' on me!" as sort of part of pop culture that I never knew where it came from.  Anyway, it's weird watching this movie over 20 years later and having an incredibly different reaction to it than I think I would have at the time. It just felt super depressing.

About a month ago we watched Malcolm X, also with Denzel.  I definitely was noticing what an amazing actor he was in both movies.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1607 on: February 15, 2022, 09:33:26 AM »
Just watched "The Last Duel" which is online glibly described as "Medieval Me Too"

It's a long, slow haul to get to the point, but once you do, the long slow haul makes a lot of sense. I literally said to DH "ahh...now I get the entire movie." You see the same story told 3 times with only very minor, but very meaningful differences. And the payoff in the end is pretty intense.

It's a true story, and brilliantly well acted by Jodie Cormer, Matt Damon, Adam Driver, and Ben Affleck.

I'm shocked I've never heard of it before, it's pretty fucking epic, and incredibly topical and timely.

Well, it JUST came out and was made during covid.

I've been aware of it for about 2 years during pre/production but that is because I'm a movie geek, I love Rashomon, I love Ridley Scott, and I've been cringing in expectation that it would be a complete bomb (based partly on the cast and partly on the production stills).  I was so happy that I turned out to be wrong about its quality, but sad that I was correct about the box office, which was abysmal. You aren't the only one who knew nothing at all about it, apparently. 

I think we are in brand new territory box office wise and it's not good for those of us who are sick and tired of Marvel movies and would like a revival of historical epics, rom coms, erotic thrillers, and some other former staples of the movie landscape.  Last Duel bombed and R Scott's other big film (Gucci) is doing only ok box office.  Spielberg's West Side Story remake is being critically lauded but also catastrophically bombing at the box office.  It bums me out, but on the other hand, Spielberg and Scott are doing fine regardless. Scott's about to start production on a movie about Napoleon starring Joaquin Phoenix and Jodie Comer. I hope I have 1/10th as much energy as he does at 84!!!!...two big movies in one year!

You were correct, Malcat. What an interesting film!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1608 on: February 15, 2022, 10:14:08 AM »
Just watched "The Last Duel" which is online glibly described as "Medieval Me Too"

It's a long, slow haul to get to the point, but once you do, the long slow haul makes a lot of sense. I literally said to DH "ahh...now I get the entire movie." You see the same story told 3 times with only very minor, but very meaningful differences. And the payoff in the end is pretty intense.

It's a true story, and brilliantly well acted by Jodie Cormer, Matt Damon, Adam Driver, and Ben Affleck.

I'm shocked I've never heard of it before, it's pretty fucking epic, and incredibly topical and timely.

I've been aware of it for about 2 years during pre/production but that is because I'm a movie geek, I love Rashomon, I love Ridley Scott, and I've been cringing in expectation that it would be a complete bomb (based partly on the cast and partly on the production stills).  I was so happy that I turned out to be wrong about its quality, but sad that I was correct about the box office, which was abysmal. You aren't the only one who knew nothing at all about it, apparently. 

I think we are in brand new territory box office wise and it's not good for those of us who are sick and tired of Marvel movies and would like a revival of historical epics, rom coms, erotic thrillers, and some other former staples of the movie landscape.  Last Duel bombed and R Scott's other big film (Gucci) is doing only ok box office.  Spielberg's West Side Story remake is being critically lauded but also catastrophically bombing at the box office.  It bums me out, but on the other hand, Spielberg and Scott are doing fine regardless. Scott's about to start production on a movie about Napoleon starring Joaquin Phoenix and Jodie Comer. I hope I have 1/10th as much energy as he does at 84!!!!...two big movies in one year!

I actually went back and watched it again because there really is a lot to think about behind the scenes - how the church interprets the situation is bitterly amusing.  How the husband actually gambits his wife, possibly overconfident of his ability to best his foe, even the final struggle - we will never know what really happened or which of the three accounts is most accurate.  It's impossible to know what was in these people's hearts and minds vs. what history interpreted and recorded.  The first watch seemed like a slog, the entertainment factor was below my expectations, but the second time through I was so preoccupied with my own thoughts it went much more quickly!  Also, it helped to know the characters better the second time through.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1609 on: February 15, 2022, 10:52:18 AM »

I actually went back and watched it again because there really is a lot to think about behind the scenes - how the church interprets the situation is bitterly amusing.  How the husband actually gambits his wife, possibly overconfident of his ability to best his foe, even the final struggle - we will never know what really happened or which of the three accounts is most accurate.  It's impossible to know what was in these people's hearts and minds vs. what history interpreted and recorded.  The first watch seemed like a slog, the entertainment factor was below my expectations, but the second time through I was so preoccupied with my own thoughts it went much more quickly!  Also, it helped to know the characters better the second time through.

From a historical perspective, it's clear we can't know which account was the accurate one. From a film-making perspective, I thought the film was 100% taking a stand on which perspective was the most objectively 'true'. In other words, although the film superficially imitates Rashoman, THAT film is actually about the difficulty of ever determining the nature of objective reality. This film was marketed that way, but it was a bait and switch b/c it seemed instead to take a clear stand on which perspective was most accurate within the film universe, and the interest of the film wasn't in interrogating whose perspective was correct, but more of an examination of how societal context combines with individual personality to create a sea of toxicity and dysfunction and hypocrisy, such that the women's choices are functionally nonexistent and the men are to a great extent destroyed by the same system that they work unthinkingly to uphold.  I didn't realize how many great elements are cleverly sprinkled throughout the screenplay until I thought back on it over the week after watching.  For example, the little bit of medieval romantic literature that was referenced, which simultaneously reinforced a culture of artificial behaviors and interactions on a societal level, allowed a well-educated woman to have a moment of true connection with a well-educated man, and also provided a scaffolding upon which the same man could then start to convince himself that his own monstrous actions were actually 'Romantic.'  And that was just a glancing subtextual thread, not even a main concern of the film.  The more I think about the screenplay, the more impressed I am.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1610 on: February 15, 2022, 11:08:30 AM »

From a historical perspective, it's clear we can't know which account was the accurate one. From a film-making perspective, I thought the film was 100% taking a stand on which perspective was the most objectively 'true'. In other words, although the film superficially imitates Rashoman, THAT film is actually about the difficulty of ever determining the nature of objective reality. This film was marketed that way, but it was a bait and switch b/c it seemed instead to take a clear stand on which perspective was most accurate within the film universe, and the interest of the film wasn't in interrogating whose perspective was correct, but more of an examination of how societal context combines with individual personality to create a sea of toxicity and dysfunction and hypocrisy, such that the women's choices are functionally nonexistent and the men are to a great extent destroyed by the same system that they work unthinkingly to uphold.  I didn't realize how many great elements are cleverly sprinkled throughout the screenplay until I thought back on it over the week after watching.  For example, the little bit of medieval romantic literature that was referenced, which simultaneously reinforced a culture of artificial behaviors and interactions on a societal level, allowed a well-educated woman to have a moment of true connection with a well-educated man, and also provided a scaffolding upon which the same man could then start to convince himself that his own monstrous actions were actually 'Romantic.'  And that was just a glancing subtextual thread, not even a main concern of the film.  The more I think about the screenplay, the more impressed I am.

When our netflix runs out in a few days we are switching to HBO and this movie is first on my list. The wife's perspective and lines were specifically written by Nicole Holofcener, while Affleck and Damon wrote the two men's parts.

I am very excited to see how this work for the movie! Glad to see people on this board enjoying it.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1611 on: February 15, 2022, 11:57:52 AM »
Don't Look Up!  Hilarious!  It deserves a much higher IMDB rating than 7.2. It deserves an 8.  But I suppose the rating is probably due to the movie being left leaning politically.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 12:00:12 PM by JenniferW »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1612 on: February 15, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
I watched 'Don't Look Up' over Christmas. They could have made it thirty minutes shorter and that would have been better. It wasn't bad, not by a long shot.

My main issue isn't that it was leaned left, but that it catered to insufferably smug liberals. Ugh.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1613 on: February 15, 2022, 01:19:38 PM »
I watched 'Don't Look Up' over Christmas. They could have made it thirty minutes shorter and that would have been better. It wasn't bad, not by a long shot.

My main issue isn't that it was leaned left, but that it catered to insufferably smug liberals. Ugh.

Really?  Cause it seemed to me that the Left was skewed equally, as being timid, ineffectual and literal sellouts. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1614 on: February 15, 2022, 03:12:48 PM »

Really?  Cause it seemed to me that the Left was skewed equally, as being timid, ineffectual and literal sellouts.

Yeah, I didn't get a strong political leaning out of it one way or the other.  The movie was just about the modern tendency to deny reality when it's inconvenient . . .

« Reply #1615 on: February 26, 2022, 07:58:34 PM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood -- Unsurprisingly, I found this to be quite bad. Tarantino has been making nothing but cleverly styled infantile revenge-porn for decades and this is yet another peculiar example of his monomania. A pointless movie that reminded me: style is the new substance.

14 Peaks: Nothing Is Impossible -- What could have been an interesting story is undermined by a tremendous lack of focus on the actual mountain climbing challenges involved. This needed to be either 30 minutes or 8 hours long to tell the story properly. I would strongly recommend the 2015 Meru instead.

The Alpinist -- Much more focused and coherent than 14 Peaks and actually provides enough context to understand the skill-level involved, including some incredible climbing footage (in spite of Leclerc's ambivalence with the filming project). And while it romanticizes a bit heavily early on, there is some re-calibration later on the risk-reward calculus of mountaineering. Maybe the best in the genre since Touching the Void.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1616 on: March 01, 2022, 10:33:18 AM »

Another instalment in the ICE AGE movies, and it lived up to my expectations. 

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1617 on: March 04, 2022, 06:56:59 AM »

Another instalment in the ICE AGE movies, and it lived up to my expectations.

I cannot tell if this is a ringing endorsement or an utter massacre of a review.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1618 on: March 04, 2022, 08:59:11 AM »
I cannot tell if this is a ringing endorsement or an utter massacre of a review.

A ringing endorsement for those who like the ICE AGE movies.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1619 on: March 04, 2022, 01:37:04 PM »
I watched the Green Knight on an airplane.  I had heard nothing about it before, although I guess it got good critical reviews at least.  I thought the elements (set design, costumes, music, etc.) were all on point, but as a whole I think it was just....odd.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1620 on: March 04, 2022, 02:55:30 PM »
I watched the Green Knight on an airplane.  I had heard nothing about it before, although I guess it got good critical reviews at least.  I thought the elements (set design, costumes, music, etc.) were all on point, but as a whole I think it was just....odd.

Yeah . . . odd is a good description.  There was this weird dream-like thing going on in the movie that made it hard to connect with anything that was going on.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1621 on: March 13, 2022, 07:27:40 PM »
I just watched the  Oscar Nominated Live Action Short Films of 2022. The first three were really good, I thought.  Last three were OK.  Total of six films.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1622 on: March 13, 2022, 07:44:13 PM »
Just watched The Adam Project on Netflix. I wanted to get it in since we were canceling Netflix for a while. I am not a huge Ryan Reynolds fan, but I do enjoy some of his movies. This one wasn't too over the top, and I did enjoy it.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1623 on: March 16, 2022, 02:01:49 PM »
I watch Spencer on a plane last night.  I'm not much of a royal watcher, but I found it fairly interesting and well-done.  I think the disappointing part was that it comprised only like 48 hours - from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day, whereas I assumed it was going to cover more of her life.  However, I do think the movie did a good job of demonstrating her life and the lives of the royals generally in this limited scope, so that was a surprise.  Kristen Stewart really did do a good job as Diana.

I also began watching Cruella, but didn't end up finishing it.  It looked like it would be a good take on the old 101 Dalmatians story though.  Fun and dramatic and a twist to the story we know from childhood.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1624 on: March 16, 2022, 02:16:59 PM »
After watching David Lynch's 'Eraserhead', I wanted to see more Lynch, so I watched 'Blue Velvet'.

Interesting, beautiful movie. But pretty dark and weird. Big name cast. Dennis Hopper. Helen Hunt. And the guy who played the mayor of Portland in Portlandia.  Kyle something. Funny to see him playing the main character here, in this serious movie.

Fascinating non-standard sound track. Lots of unusual sounds, as well as normal music.   

I want to watch it again, but not right away, maybe, ha ha.   

The DVD it came on had a lot of interviews with the cast, and the director Lynch. Also quite interesting to me.     

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1625 on: March 16, 2022, 04:23:08 PM »
After watching David Lynch's 'Eraserhead', I wanted to see more Lynch, so I watched 'Blue Velvet'.

Interesting, beautiful movie. But pretty dark and weird. Big name cast. Dennis Hopper. Helen Hunt. And the guy who played the mayor of Portland in Portlandia.  Kyle something. Funny to see him playing the main character here, in this serious movie.

Fascinating non-standard sound track. Lots of unusual sounds, as well as normal music.   

I want to watch it again, but not right away, maybe, ha ha.   

The DVD it came on had a lot of interviews with the cast, and the director Lynch. Also quite interesting to me.   

Kyle MacLachlan has done a lot with David Lynch.  Dune and the TV show Twin Peaks as well.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1626 on: March 16, 2022, 04:27:41 PM »
Twin Peaks was great.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1627 on: March 17, 2022, 11:56:15 AM »
Right. He was the FBI agent! I watched every episode of Twin Peaks.   

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1628 on: March 20, 2022, 09:57:59 AM »

Someone please explain to me the baby in eraser head?

And here I thought I was the only one who saw and remembered The Straight Story. We are from Northern Iowa and all of that rang true.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1629 on: March 20, 2022, 08:18:14 PM »
My daughter and I saw a bargain matinee of CODA today. CODA means "Child of Deaf Adults" and the film explores the sometimes codependent relationship the hearing daughter has with her deaf parents and brother. She is their link to the hearing world and begins to want a life of her own as she discovers her own (exquisite) musical talent and first love. It is beautifully shot, directed, and acted. Marlee Matlin plays the mom. I found myself quite weepy at parts of it and it's not a mawkish or maudlin movie. It's just really, really good. Probably a longshot for Best Picture, but would not be a tragedy if it won.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1630 on: March 22, 2022, 08:06:20 AM »

Someone please explain to me the baby in eraser head?

And here I thought I was the only one who saw and remembered The Straight Story. We are from Northern Iowa and all of that rang true.

I'm gonna have to watch it again, but I probably still won't understand the plot (was there really a plot?). I just remember a bizarre life form that the fuzzy haired guy was taking care of.

What was the eraserhead? There was a pencil factory in someone's basement. That's the only reference I remember to erasers.

Who is the sexy woman across the hall? Just a random romantic interest Lynch threw in to the film to spice it up?   

Yah, gonna hve to watch it again. Plus Blue Velvet.     

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1631 on: March 22, 2022, 08:11:53 AM »
Trees Lounge. Came across it last night on my old movie channel. Steve Buscemi, Chloe Sverigny when they were both young. Working class NYC in the seventies. Great retro stuff.  Directed by Buscemi, which surprised me.   

« Reply #1632 on: March 22, 2022, 04:08:56 PM »
Trees Lounge. Came across it last night on my old movie channel. Steve Buscemi, Chloe Sverigny when they were both young. Working class NYC in the seventies. Great retro stuff.  Directed by Buscemi, which surprised me.
Buscemi also wrote it; a solid movie. Buscemi is one of my favorites and it's maybe too bad he hasn't written more screenplays. You might also check him out as Nikita Khrushchev in The Death of Stalin (yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds).

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1633 on: March 22, 2022, 06:02:58 PM »
Buscemi also wrote it; a solid movie. Buscemi is one of my favorites and it's maybe too bad he hasn't written more screenplays. You might also check him out as Nikita Khrushchev in The Death of Stalin (yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds).

Thanks. I saw Death of Stalin. Very good.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1634 on: March 22, 2022, 08:10:17 PM »
Deep Water on Hulu (after watching Euphoria, then the recent Hot Ones episode with Jacob Elordi)...  It's not great, but plenty watchable for free, if you can get over the fact that Vic should definitely dump his wife.  I mean, she's flirting with a guy at the first party they go to and everyone is speculating on if his wife is sleeping around.  Reminded me a bit of Fatal Attraction though, which has similarly 'duh, run' vibes...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 08:15:58 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1635 on: March 26, 2022, 08:27:00 PM »
Last Night in Soho was much better than I was led to believe. Great flick overall with quite a few bits I didn't see coming. The landing doesn't quite stick, but the overall film is good enough to get it through its stumbles.

Curious if anyone else saw and liked this one?

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1636 on: March 31, 2022, 11:11:28 AM »
Deep Water on Hulu (after watching Euphoria, then the recent Hot Ones episode with Jacob Elordi)...  It's not great, but plenty watchable for free, if you can get over the fact that Vic should definitely dump his wife.  I mean, she's flirting with a guy at the first party they go to and everyone is speculating on if his wife is sleeping around.  Reminded me a bit of Fatal Attraction though, which has similarly 'duh, run' vibes...

I don't currently have Hulu, but want to see this one. It's adapted from a Patricia Highsmith (of The Talented Mr. Ripley) fame. Sounds like it was sufficiently creepy, @EscapeVelocity2020 ?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1637 on: March 31, 2022, 01:29:42 PM »

I don't currently have Hulu, but want to see this one. It's adapted from a Patricia Highsmith (of The Talented Mr. Ripley) fame. Sounds like it was sufficiently creepy, @EscapeVelocity2020 ?

I'm a bit biased because I think Hulu is good value, since I just hop on for a month here and there.  I even splurge for the ad-free 12.99 price.  I'd definitely say that this movie was worth that, it holds your attention, but I'd rate it more as a thriller than creepy.  Did you find 'Fatal Attraction' to be creepy?

I'm also zipping through 'Only Murders in the Building', 'The Dropout', and 'Ordinary Joe...  mostly based on other posters recommendations before my month runs out, and really enjoying that stuff...

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1638 on: March 31, 2022, 05:01:24 PM »
My daughter and I saw a bargain matinee of CODA today. CODA means "Child of Deaf Adults" and the film explores the sometimes codependent relationship the hearing daughter has with her deaf parents and brother. She is their link to the hearing world and begins to want a life of her own as she discovers her own (exquisite) musical talent and first love. It is beautifully shot, directed, and acted. Marlee Matlin plays the mom. I found myself quite weepy at parts of it and it's not a mawkish or maudlin movie. It's just really, really good. Probably a longshot for Best Picture, but would not be a tragedy if it won.

It did end up winning the Oscar for Best Picture and I really want to see it.

"The win for deaf family drama 'CODA' marks the first time a streaming service took Hollywood's biggest prize."

Also kind of funny how hard Netflix has tried to win the Best Picture award the last few years and keeps losing out. This year they had "The Power of the Dog", which was a contender but ultimately lost. And a few years ago they had a super aggressive campaign to promote "Roma", which still ended up losing.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1639 on: April 01, 2022, 02:08:19 PM »
Saw the new Matrix Resurrection movie which the Library had in.  Red pill, blue pill, more like sleeping pill and I would need to watch it a few times to figure it out.  Just don't have the patience.  Nodded off towards the end.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1640 on: April 03, 2022, 01:03:54 PM »
Saw the new Matrix Resurrection movie which the Library had in.  Red pill, blue pill, more like sleeping pill and I would need to watch it a few times to figure it out.  Just don't have the patience.  Nodded off towards the end.

The original Matrix was the last film of this type that I saw. Enjoyed it. But I knew any sequel would suck, so never bothered.

I know lots of people enjoy the superhero stuff, but I just don't.

The last crazy and unbelievable movie I saw that I really liked was The Hunt. I've seen it twice so far.     

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1641 on: April 04, 2022, 10:05:09 AM »
Of the Matrix Sequels the latest one was the best . . . but none have really been of the same quality as the original movie.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1642 on: April 04, 2022, 10:17:13 AM »
Started watching Spencer on DVD, which is about Princess Diana. So far so good, 10 minutes in. Kristen Stewart plays Diana. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1643 on: April 05, 2022, 07:51:39 PM »
Went to see Morbius at a theater today.  The first time since I've been to a theater again since the Before Times!  It was fun, but the movie was... well, I'm afraid I'm not sure I can come up with anything positive to say at all about it.  And I consider myself usually quite game for vampires, action movies and Jared Leto.  Yikes.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1644 on: April 05, 2022, 08:57:31 PM »
Went to see Morbius at a theater today.  The first time since I've been to a theater again since the Before Times!  It was fun, but the movie was... well, I'm afraid I'm not sure I can come up with anything positive to say at all about it.  And I consider myself usually quite game for vampires, action movies and Jared Leto.  Yikes.

I saw this review of Morbius and gave it a pass...

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1645 on: April 06, 2022, 09:03:15 AM »
Finished watching Spencer. It was OK. I must admit I fast forwarded some of the middle minutes.

Kristin Stewart does a good job nailing the depressed and hopeless Princess Diana. It was painful to watch it, therefore the fast forwarding.

Captures the sadness of being a 'royal', even those who were born into it.

I recommend it for those who want to see inside the royal family. But it is definitely not a 'feel good' movie.   

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1646 on: April 06, 2022, 09:25:37 AM »

Very very accurate review.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1647 on: April 06, 2022, 09:32:36 AM »

Very very accurate review.

LOL, he's no Siskel nor Ebert, but I usually go to his 'moist meter' for a hot take.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1648 on: April 08, 2022, 06:42:40 PM »
Just saw CODA, which won best picture at the Oscars. I enjoyed it very much. It is about a deaf family (all except one child who can hear) and their travails. I recommend it.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1649 on: April 08, 2022, 08:33:36 PM »
Finally saw Encanto.

Just...wow. What an excellent film. Watched it again with my wife it was so good and she agrees - an amazing film.