Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 504942 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #1650 on: April 15, 2022, 04:44:57 PM »
I keep telling my friends and acquaintances about CODA and how good it is. You know, the 'best film of the year' Academy Award?  No one has even heard of it!   

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1651 on: April 17, 2022, 04:42:46 PM »
I keep telling my friends and acquaintances about CODA and how good it is. You know, the 'best film of the year' Academy Award?  No one has even heard of it!

I've heard of it. The trailer looks really good and I plan to watch it soon.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1652 on: April 17, 2022, 04:46:39 PM »
I watched "Apollo 10 1/2" last night on Netflix. It's a new film from Richard Linklater ("Dazed and Confused", Before trilogy, "A Scanner Darkly", etc) and seems to have been released with very little fanfare. It's done in the rotoscoping animation style of a couple of his previous films. Anyway, it's quite good and a heartfelt telling of what it was like to grow up in the Houston area during the Apollo moon missions in the late 60s. I especially love the cheapskate dad character (reminds me a little of MMM himself!).

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1653 on: April 18, 2022, 10:04:45 AM »
I watched "Apollo 10 1/2" last night on Netflix. It's a new film from Richard Linklater ("Dazed and Confused", Before trilogy, "A Scanner Darkly", etc) and seems to have been released with very little fanfare. It's done in the rotoscoping animation style of a couple of his previous films. Anyway, it's quite good and a heartfelt telling of what it was like to grow up in the Houston area during the Apollo moon missions in the late 60s. I especially love the cheapskate dad character (reminds me a little of MMM himself!).

Very sweet movie documenting a childhood just a little before my time.  I understand Linklater having to shoehorn a story in, but it seemed like an afterthought.  I enjoyed the trip down memory lane, although I didn't grow up in Houston.  I was surprised it never make it to Netflix's Top 10 or got any publicity, certainly worth a watch. 

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1654 on: April 23, 2022, 10:05:02 AM »
Everything, Everywhere, All At Once may be the best film I have ever seen. My mind is absolutely blown. I need to go watch it again.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1655 on: April 23, 2022, 10:16:19 AM »
Everything, Everywhere, All At Once may be the best film I have ever seen. My mind is absolutely blown. I need to go watch it again.

Oh, good to hear!  I loved the looks of the preview and have been plotting an opportunity to see it.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1656 on: April 24, 2022, 04:32:49 AM »
^That looks interesting. Will try to get my other half to catch that in the theater in the next few days.

Yesterday I watched Power of the Dog on Netflix. Be warned: this is not a light flick. Only watch if you are in the mood for something serious. Having grown up in the relatively wild west with a "Hatfields and McCoys" type parent, it really resonated with me. Benedict Cumberbatch absolutely nails it. Afterwards I read some critic reviews, and was astounded to read that several of the critics had to watch it twice to understand it. That's baffling . . . it's all there for you the first time if you just pay careful attention.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1657 on: April 24, 2022, 06:23:01 AM »

I've had this on my list for months.  It didn't come to theaters here for a few weeks after it opened, and now our toddler has Covid, but I'm so excited to go see it when we're not sick/contageous/plague-ridden again!!!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1658 on: April 24, 2022, 08:53:04 AM »
^That looks interesting. Will try to get my other half to catch that in the theater in the next few days.

Yesterday I watched Power of the Dog on Netflix. Be warned: this is not a light flick. Only watch if you are in the mood for something serious. Having grown up in the relatively wild west with a "Hatfields and McCoys" type parent, it really resonated with me. Benedict Cumberbatch absolutely nails it. Afterwards I read some critic reviews, and was astounded to read that several of the critics had to watch it twice to understand it. That's baffling . . . it's all there for you the first time if you just pay careful attention.

I found this movie interesting b/c while I was watching I actually thought Cumberbatch was actively bad in the first half of the film, and phenomenal in the second half. I normally appreciate his performances, so this was confusing. But eventually I got to the end and his performance made a bit more sense. At some point I might watch the film again, just to see how I feel once I know what's coming.  And yeah, I'm not sure how people missed what was going on; I was a bit slow on the uptake, but I sure wasn't confused at the end.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1659 on: April 24, 2022, 09:25:48 AM »
The Battered Bastards of Baseball. Loved it!

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1660 on: April 24, 2022, 10:42:00 AM »
Just watched "Spider-Man No Way Home"

I must have missed a few of the Spider-Man movies since this one brings in all three actors (Tom Holland, Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield) that played Spider-Man together with a bunch of references to the other movies*.   I didn't fully understand all of these. I still found the movie ok, but I am sure a true Marvel fan that knew all the references would have had gotten more out of the film.

*More on the Marvel multiverse and time travel can be found here https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Multiverse.  I am not going to dive too deep into this stuff there are better things to do with my time. However, I can see the appeal from the marketing point of view and some fans to have all these movies tied together in a big "web" to carry a larger story forward and keep the cash rolling in at the box office.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1661 on: April 24, 2022, 01:29:55 PM »

I must have missed a few of the Spider-Man movies since this one brings in all three actors (Tom Holland, Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield) that played Spider-Man together with a bunch of references to the other movies*.   I didn't fully understand all of these. I still found the movie ok, but I am sure a true Marvel fan that knew all the references would have had gotten more out of the film.

*More on the Marvel multiverse and time travel can be found here https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Multiverse.  I am not going to dive too deep into this stuff there are better things to do with my time. However, I can see the appeal from the marketing point of view and some fans to have all these movies tied together in a big "web" to carry a larger story forward and keep the cash rolling in at the box office.

I just watched that movie as well, had watched most/all of the Spider-Man movies, and I still missed some of the references. That being said, it entertained me although I wish I had seen it before I knew most of the spoilers of what was going to happen. Either way, I enjoyed it.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1662 on: April 25, 2022, 12:34:51 AM »

I found this movie interesting b/c while I was watching I actually thought Cumberbatch was actively bad in the first half of the film, and phenomenal in the second half. I normally appreciate his performances, so this was confusing. But eventually I got to the end and his performance made a bit more sense. At some point I might watch the film again, just to see how I feel once I know what's coming.  And yeah, I'm not sure how people missed what was going on; I was a bit slow on the uptake, but I sure wasn't confused at the end.

Honestly I'm surprised that some of the critics admitted this . . . seems very unlike movie critics to admit their own flaws, lol. Although, the couple of critics who said "I didn't get it the first time" seemed to ascribe it to being a flaw in the movie, and the way the movie carried off that ending definitely was not flawed.

I agree that his demeanor in the first half of the film might make more sense to some viewers the second time around. It made sense to me right out of the gate, but much of my childhood was spent around a particular type of western man who is bitter, cruel, and highly performative in displaying his superiority and masculinity to everyone around him. I'm not planning to watch it again, just as I don't plan to watch Atonement again. Too many other movies that I haven't yet seen!

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1663 on: April 25, 2022, 05:48:03 AM »
@techwiz did you find out what was in the box?
Personally I hated the movie Seven.  To me it was boring, and when the build up finally happens, it was much less than I expected.  But if you look on IMdB, the movie ranked an 8.6 out of 10, which is a strong recommendation to watch it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114369/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt

I enjoyed William Shatner's paraody far more, which is 2.5 minutes centered on the climatic scene.  And in this version, I couldn't predict what was in the box.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1664 on: April 25, 2022, 09:25:41 AM »
Personally I hated the movie Seven.  To me it was boring, and when the build up finally happens, it was much less than I expected.  But if you look on IMdB, the movie ranked an 8.6 out of 10, which is a strong recommendation to watch it.

I enjoyed William Shatner's paraody far more, which is 2.5 minutes centered on the climatic scene.  And in this version, I couldn't predict what was in the box.

Did you hate the movie at the time it came out (or near to) or did you see it much later?  I think at the time it was pretty impressive, innovative and shocking, but in retrospect I can imagine it seeming unimpressive.  It wasn't a favorite of mine when I saw it in the theater, though I think it was exciting because it was probably one of the first R rated movies I went to see with friends.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1665 on: April 25, 2022, 09:41:56 AM »

Did you hate the movie at the time it came out (or near to) or did you see it much later?  I think at the time it was pretty impressive, innovative and shocking, but in retrospect I can imagine it seeming unimpressive.  It wasn't a favorite of mine when I saw it in the theater, though I think it was exciting because it was probably one of the first R rated movies I went to see with friends.
I believe the parody came out within a year, and I had already seen Seven by then.  I saw Seven soon after it came out.

Trying not to spoil much,
Spoiler: show
but when the main characters are driving to the middle of nowhere, it sounded like something truly huge was going to happen - like a nuclear bomb.  Then they have a box arrive, and I figured out what that was... to me, that was disappointing.  But others may have liked how it fit the theme of "7 deadly sins", and so appreicated the movie for that reason.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1666 on: April 25, 2022, 01:16:23 PM »

I believe the parody came out within a year, and I had already seen Seven by then.  I saw Seven soon after it came out.

but when the main characters are driving to the middle of nowhere, it sounded like something truly huge was going to happen - like a nuclear bomb.  Then they have a box arrive, and I figured out what that was... to me, that was disappointing.  But others may have liked how it fit the theme of "7 deadly sins", and so appreicated the movie for that reason.

Yes, but the deadly sin being referenced was Wrath, not murder.  So the thing in the box was intended to provoke a response of wrath.  And it worked.  The villain was also trying to make a point that no one is above sinning, not even people in positions of moral authority, like the police.  Of course it turned out that he was right.  I thought it was brilliant and neatly tied in to the (very nihilistic) themes in the rest of the movie

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1667 on: April 25, 2022, 08:33:31 PM »

I rented that to watch with my kids last weekend. I don't think I saw the Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies, maybe just the first one. I did watch the Spiderman cartoon when I was a kid so I was familiar with most of the other villains. It was pretty much what I expected, a solid B/B+ like most Marvel movies. I enjoyed it overall.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1668 on: April 26, 2022, 07:40:15 AM »

I had never heard of or seen that parody of seven before, looked it up and enjoyed it. Thanks. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1669 on: April 26, 2022, 08:22:06 PM »
OMG, We just watched and loved "Bathtubs Over Broadway" on Netflix. Great story!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1670 on: April 28, 2022, 07:22:17 AM »
Star Trek 2009 last night.. my favorite Star Trek movie ever :)

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1671 on: April 30, 2022, 05:40:34 PM »
OMG, We just watched and loved "Bathtubs Over Broadway" on Netflix. Great story!

What's the gist of that one? I've never heard of it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1672 on: May 01, 2022, 05:04:53 PM »

What's the gist of that one? I've never heard of it.
If I told you it was about Industrial Musicals, would that help? A better hook is if you were a Letterman fan, perhaps.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1673 on: May 13, 2022, 02:33:49 PM »
'The 355'.  Four beautiful women shoot up the bad guys.  Not bad, actually.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #1674 on: May 13, 2022, 02:40:48 PM »
"Luca" (2021)  It was slow to start, but the ending was really good.

"The Green Knight" (2021)  Not impressed.  I don't know how I stayed awake through this film.

"The Protoge" (2021)  I like Samuel Jackson and Micheal Keaton, but couldn't find myself caring about any of the characters in this movie.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1675 on: May 14, 2022, 09:18:52 AM »

Yes, but the deadly sin being referenced was Wrath, not murder.  So the thing in the box was intended to provoke a response of wrath.  And it worked.  The villain was also trying to make a point that no one is above sinning, not even people in positions of moral authority, like the police.  Of course it turned out that he was right.  I thought it was brilliant and neatly tied in to the (very nihilistic) themes in the rest of the movie

("Seven" Spoiler)
When you say "Yes, but ... Wrath, not murder" did you mean to correct something I said?  Because I didn't bring up Wrath or murder in my posts.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1676 on: May 14, 2022, 11:07:30 AM »

("Seven" Spoiler)
When you say "Yes, but ... Wrath, not murder" did you mean to correct something I said?  Because I didn't bring up Wrath or murder in my posts.

Sorry, was trying to reply to techwise, not you.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1677 on: May 14, 2022, 12:58:38 PM »
Went to see Morbius at a theater today.  The first time since I've been to a theater again since the Before Times!  It was fun, but the movie was... well, I'm afraid I'm not sure I can come up with anything positive to say at all about it.  And I consider myself usually quite game for vampires, action movies and Jared Leto.  Yikes.

Just a PSA but I think it is best to understand that Sony does not produce Spider-Man Adjacent movies like Venom and Morbius with the goal of making a wortwhile, interesting, or entertaining film. They 'have to' keep making the movies so they can retain the film rights to Spiderman, which allows them to extort Marvel for lots of money. Here's a great episode from Planet Money that goes into the details:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1076531156/the-spider-man-problem

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1678 on: May 14, 2022, 03:15:58 PM »
Went to see Morbius at a theater today.  The first time since I've been to a theater again since the Before Times!  It was fun, but the movie was... well, I'm afraid I'm not sure I can come up with anything positive to say at all about it.  And I consider myself usually quite game for vampires, action movies and Jared Leto.  Yikes.

Just a PSA but I think it is best to understand that Sony does not produce Spider-Man Adjacent movies like Venom and Morbius with the goal of making a wortwhile, interesting, or entertaining film. They 'have to' keep making the movies so they can retain the film rights to Spiderman, which allows them to extort Marvel for lots of money. Here's a great episode from Planet Money that goes into the details:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1076531156/the-spider-man-problem

I had listened to this episode and was quite fascinated.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1679 on: May 21, 2022, 03:16:02 PM »
Watership Down on Netflix.  Based on an award winning book, previously made into an animated movie in the 70's, then remade recently. 

From the wikipedia description--- "...the story features a small group of rabbits. Although they live in their natural wild environment, with burrows, they are anthropomorphised, possessing their own culture, language, proverbs, poetry, and mythology. Evoking epic themes, the novel follows the rabbits as they escape the destruction of their warren and seek a place to establish a new home (the hill of Watership Down), encountering perils and temptations along the way."

It was engaging but very dark.  I highly recommend it, though I doubt it would appeal widely.  My wife stopped after the first part (there are 4 parts total) and I had to finish on my own.  It covers some pretty serious topics, in sharp contrast to animated rabbits.  I haven't read the book, but the series is supposed to be faithful to it.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1680 on: May 21, 2022, 03:55:47 PM »
Watership Down on Netflix.  Based on an award winning book, previously made into an animated movie in the 70's, then remade recently. 

From the wikipedia description--- "...the story features a small group of rabbits. Although they live in their natural wild environment, with burrows, they are anthropomorphised, possessing their own culture, language, proverbs, poetry, and mythology. Evoking epic themes, the novel follows the rabbits as they escape the destruction of their warren and seek a place to establish a new home (the hill of Watership Down), encountering perils and temptations along the way."

It was engaging but very dark.  I highly recommend it, though I doubt it would appeal widely.  My wife stopped after the first part (there are 4 parts total) and I had to finish on my own.  It covers some pretty serious topics, in sharp contrast to animated rabbits.  I haven't read the book, but the series is supposed to be faithful to it.

I liked the book a lot. I'll add the series to my Netflix watch list!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1681 on: May 22, 2022, 08:23:45 AM »
Watched the first 10 minutes of 'Cigarettes and Romance'. James Gandalfini, Susan Sarandon are an embattled with one another married couple. Looks like a lot of fun so far.   A Cohen Brothers film.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1682 on: May 22, 2022, 12:57:41 PM »

I haven't seen this recent movie adaptation (only the old animated one from the 70s(?), but the book is amazing. My husband used to jokingly sneer at how much I loved it, until I made him listen to the audiobook on a road trip, and he was absolutely riveted. Cried at the end, too.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1683 on: May 22, 2022, 02:49:27 PM »
The Big Short, Wolves of Wallstreet, Boiler Room, Margin Call

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1684 on: May 22, 2022, 03:31:39 PM »

Thoughts on them?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1685 on: May 22, 2022, 04:34:35 PM »
We are going through a phase of watching good/bad movies that are a lot of fun.

We watched Deep Blue Sea this weekend (1999, the Smart Shark movie). It is a deeply stupid, but incredibly fun movie.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1686 on: May 24, 2022, 09:28:39 AM »

Thoughts on them?

Not the OP here, but of those, I enjoyed The Big Short the most. ANother good one was Too Big to Fail, in which William Hurt starts as one of the govt honchos.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1687 on: May 24, 2022, 11:26:11 AM »

Animated comedy of a group of bad guys on their journey to become better. I did sleep through part of the movie, but my daughter says it was great.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1688 on: May 24, 2022, 12:20:13 PM »

Thoughts on them?

Not the OP here, but of those, I enjoyed The Big Short the most. ANother good one was Too Big to Fail, in which William Hurt starts as one of the govt honchos.

Also not the OP.

Margin Call was by far my favorite. WofWS was super entertaining, but about half an hour too long.  The Big Short was very good as well, just didn't quite carry the entertainment value for me of the other two.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1689 on: May 24, 2022, 12:29:04 PM »

Thoughts on them?

Also not the OP.

Margin Call was by far my favorite. WofWS was super entertaining, but about half an hour too long.  The Big Short was very good as well, just didn't quite carry the entertainment value for me of the other two.

Boiler Room is also quite good.  Not as well known as those other big budget flicks, but you can look sophisticated when you mention that you saw it...  Can't go wrong with any of them if you're in the mood for a good financial horror movie.  And it is 'The Wolf of Wall St.'

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #1690 on: May 24, 2022, 02:47:01 PM »
Downsizing (2017). This was a pleasantly entertaining movie that brings up a lot of questions if you bother to think about it, but it doesn't beat you over the head with a "message". 

After Life (ワンダフルライフ) (1998). It was a slower paced movie, but interesting nonetheless.  If you had to chose only one memory to keep for all of eternity, what would it be?

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1691 on: May 27, 2022, 11:12:28 PM »

Thoughts on them?

Well it started with The Big Short. A great movie about the Housing / Bank crisis of 2008-2009 regarding mortgage backed securities.   I was interested in that because the current housing market bubble reminds me of 2006-2008.   Then I was like:  that was fun to watch.. what other stock market related movies can I watch?... so I did a search and found a bunch, and started watching them :)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1692 on: May 27, 2022, 11:13:43 PM »

I'll have to check out "Too Big to Fail" thanks :)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1693 on: May 28, 2022, 08:26:46 AM »
'Uncut Gems' with Adam Sandler. It was OK, not great.  Sandler is miscast, maybe. Why would he want this role? He plays a sleazy gem merchant in NYC. Involved with gangsters. Violence, rappers, cheating on his wife. Some interesting scenes of his Jewish family life.  Not much else was interesting to me. I fast forwarded through 15 minutes in the middle of the DVD. 

Sandler fans might enjoy this movie.   

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1694 on: May 28, 2022, 08:58:00 AM »
'Uncut Gems' with Adam Sandler. It was OK, not great.  Sandler is miscast, maybe. Why would he want this role? He plays a sleazy gem merchant in NYC. Involved with gangsters. Violence, rappers, cheating on his wife. Some interesting scenes of his Jewish family life.  Not much else was interesting to me. I fast forwarded through 15 minutes in the middle of the DVD. 

I am a big Sandler fan and we loved that movie.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1695 on: May 28, 2022, 09:41:00 AM »

And I am not a Sandler fan but enjoyed that movie (definately Sandler's best that I've seen; I wish he did more serious roles). It's loud and unsubtle in many ways on the surface, while actually being a rather subtle character study depicting Sandler as a victim of his own personality. Sort of a modern Greek tragedy where exuberance combines with a sort of disordered striving within Sandler. These flaws result in his constant crises, and serve as a sort of general apology for the flaws in all people, since we are all captives of our own nature in our own ways.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1696 on: May 28, 2022, 11:55:07 AM »
Repulsion. 

This stylish Hitchcockian psychological thriller is justly famous. I was particularly impressed with some of the decision to shoot hand-held, so that the viewer feels like they are stalking Catherine Deneuve. Props also to the actor who played her sister's married lover with just the right calibration of smarm x nice guy.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1697 on: May 28, 2022, 12:03:23 PM »

And I am not a Sandler fan but enjoyed that movie (definately Sandler's best that I've seen; I wish he did more serious roles). It's loud and unsubtle in many ways on the surface, while actually being a rather subtle character study depicting Sandler as a victim of his own personality. Sort of a modern Greek tragedy where exuberance combines with a sort of disordered striving within Sandler. These flaws result in his constant crises, and serve as a sort of general apology for the flaws in all people, since we are all captives of our own nature in our own ways.

Have you seen Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me?  Two other serious type movies he's done. I love all his stuff.. his silly comedies to the drama.  Excellent actor.

I learned about the PS2 video game "Shadow of the Colossus" from Reign Over me.. such a great video game. I have it on my PS3 (hd remastered).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 12:05:30 PM by JenniferW »

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1698 on: May 28, 2022, 12:41:22 PM »

Have you seen Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me?  Two other serious type movies he's done. I love all his stuff.. his silly comedies to the drama.  Excellent actor.

I learned about the PS2 video game "Shadow of the Colossus" from Reign Over me.. such a great video game. I have it on my PS3 (hd remastered).
I saw Punch Drunk Love when it first came out and enjoyed it, but not Reign Over Me, so thanks for the rec!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1699 on: May 29, 2022, 08:27:34 AM »

I am weirdly obsessed with Sandler’s tribute song to Chris Farley. It’s an earworm for me.