Author Topic: Continuing outrages related to our 45th President  (Read 122373 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continuing outrages related to our 45th President
« Reply #1150 on: February 23, 2024, 01:48:17 PM »
https://www.gofundme.com/f/stand-with-trump-raise-the-settlement?s=08

I was kidding when I made the "Trump go-fund-me" crack, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm surprised by this.

Only $354 million to go!

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #1151 on: February 23, 2024, 02:29:06 PM »

I was kidding when I made the "Trump go-fund-me" crack, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm surprised by this.

Only $354 million to go!

Judge just formalized it at 454MM. lol

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1152 on: February 24, 2024, 04:03:30 AM »
What are thoughts on Nikki Haley’s function in the race? I find myself appreciating her attacks on Trump a lot, as well as her tenacity (which some GOP are implying comes from Democrat “dark money” — ignoring the darkest GOP money of all, Trump money). I don’t agree on her politics in any way other than that.
She's nicely positioned if the Supreme Court rules Trump ineligible.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1153 on: February 24, 2024, 04:59:52 AM »
What are thoughts on Nikki Haley’s function in the race? I find myself appreciating her attacks on Trump a lot, as well as her tenacity (which some GOP are implying comes from Democrat “dark money” — ignoring the darkest GOP money of all, Trump money). I don’t agree on her politics in any way other than that.
She's nicely positioned if the Supreme Court rules Trump ineligible.

I’ve wondered if this is her hope/strategy as well. It doesn’t even have to be SCOTUS - if Trump gets convicted, dies, or gets kicked off multiple ballots the convention is going to be an absolute chaos pot. By limping along Haley is all but guaranteed to have several dozen delegates (she already has 17), leaving her enough of an edge and the only in-tact ground game to tilt everything to her and secure the nomination.
Now that it seems  more likely than not that multiple criminal trials may reach verdicts by this summer it’s not that outlandish of a hope

Or… it could simply be that she’s using this as her greatest chance to market herself for the future. She’s not campaigning for 2024, but for 2028. If Biden wins she may be remembered as the one who kept saying Trump was poison on the ballot and would lead to those pesky Dems controlling govt again. Pic Trump wins and it’s a complete and total s*-t show she’s in a good spot to say “I told you so!”

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1154 on: February 24, 2024, 08:30:03 AM »
This is an excerpt from Dan Rather's substack talking about a CPAC speaker this year  just in case anyone missed the clear White Christian Nationalist threat. See also Tucker Carlson and anyone else who says "replacement theory". The judge from Alabama who recently cited the bible in a court decision regarding embryos in fertility clinics being legal children likely also counts.

The annual Conservative Political Action Convention (CPAC) is seldom subtle. This year they aren’t just saying the quiet part out loud — they are screaming it.

At a panel session Wednesday, right-wing conspiracy theorist Jack Posobiec said without irony or sarcasm, “I just wanted to say, welcome to the end of democracy. We are here to overthrow it completely. We didn’t get all the way there on January 6, but we will endeavor to get rid of it.” 

He then held up a Christian cross and added, “We’ll replace it with this right here. That’s right, because all glory, all glory is not to government, all glory is to God." Was the remark in jest? No. And the crowd knew it.

His comments got big applause and an “amen” from moderator Steve Bannon, who, by the way, is set to stand trial in a New York state court for fraud and money laundering in May and only escaped federal prosecution because of a presidential pardon. As far as I have seen, no Republican attendee denounced Posobiec’s comments.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1155 on: February 24, 2024, 10:25:07 AM »
I have watched a few clips of 45 rallies and speeches and I got to say that his more and more disordered speech is indeed more than suggestive of a neuropsychiatric issue - Alzheimer's indeed comes to mind, mainly because it is common and he has a family history. At least, he needs a neuropsychiatric evaluation.

At some point, the media will have to assess if they wish to continue to engage in what is quickly becoming voyeurism directed at someone who seems to be turning into a dementia patient - that could cost them a bundle if this progresses further and they decide to continue their exploitation.

Interesting ethical issues at the horizon:

Dr. John Gartner on a tale of two brains: "Biden's brain is aging. Trump's brain is dementing"
"This is a fundamental breakdown in the ability to use language," the renowned mental health expert says of Trump
By CHAUNCEY DEVEGA
FEBRUARY 23, 2024

"Phonemic paraphasias" —the substitution of non-words for words that sound similar—are not normally seen until a patient enters the moderate to severe stages of Alzheimer’s.

"What I don’t understand is why those clips aren’t replayed over and over in the mainstream media. Isn’t Trump babbling incoherently the most newsworthy part of his rally? You can be sure it would be if it were Biden."

Some examples of Trump’s non-words: Beneficiaries becomes “benefishes.” Renovations become “renoversh.” Pivotal became “pivobal." Obama became “obamna.” Missiles became “mishiz.” Christmas became “Crissus.” Bipartisan became “bipars.”

This is a fundamental breakdown in the ability to use language. If you were talking to your father on the phone and he did this you would think he is having a stroke. There is no healthy older person who speaks that way.

Trump also engages in what we call "tangential speech." He just becomes incomprehensible when he engages in free association word salad speech that is all over the place. Again, that's a sign of real brain damage, not being old, not being slow, not losing a step not being, but of severe cognitive deterioration. What I don’t understand is why those clips aren’t replayed over and over in the mainstream media. Isn’t Trump babbling incoherently the most newsworthy part of his rally? You can be sure it would be if it were Biden.

https://www.salon.com/2024/02/23/dr-john-gartner-on-a-tale-of-two-brains-bidens-brain-is-aging-brain-is-dementing/

Some examples:

'Soup pie cane?' Trump's most baffling 'glitches' at latest South Carolina rally
Kathleen Culliton

February 23, 2024

But on social media, viewers were treated to video clips of Trump's more eyebrow-raising "glitches." Here are the top five:

1. "His soup-pie cane is broken"

"Soup pie cane?" asked Bogan Painter. This one was also translated as “supply tain,” “su pie tain," "supply cane" “syphilis.”

2. “All of a sudden there was this big dump. Where did it come from?”

“Time for another diaper,” replied GroundChuck.”

3. “They are pumping it as much as they can under the Trump.”

"'Pumping under the Trump' is something we can only pray will never be explained in any detail,” wrote BruceGoldberg.

4. “Three years lady, lady, lady, how ‘bout that?”

“Lay ladies lay,” quipped @pbstockx. “Lay across my fake gold head.”

5. “In times of bad, she’ll call me up say, “Don’t worry about, sir, you’re doing great.”

Said the Biden-Harris campaign, “A lot of people don’t know how smart and respected Marjorie Taylor Greene is.”

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-rally-2667354340/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 10:30:47 AM by PeteD01 »

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1156 on: February 24, 2024, 10:53:37 AM »
His quip that recent court cases decided against him "...are a form of Navalny" was very strange. Of course it met with no pushback from the Fox interviewer.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1157 on: February 24, 2024, 10:16:24 PM »
This is an excerpt from Dan Rather's substack talking about a CPAC speaker this year  just in case anyone missed the clear White Christian Nationalist threat. See also Tucker Carlson and anyone else who says "replacement theory". The judge from Alabama who recently cited the bible in a court decision regarding embryos in fertility clinics being legal children likely also counts.

The annual Conservative Political Action Convention (CPAC) is seldom subtle. This year they aren’t just saying the quiet part out loud — they are screaming it.

At a panel session Wednesday, right-wing conspiracy theorist Jack Posobiec said without irony or sarcasm, “I just wanted to say, welcome to the end of democracy. We are here to overthrow it completely. We didn’t get all the way there on January 6, but we will endeavor to get rid of it.” 

He then held up a Christian cross and added, “We’ll replace it with this right here. That’s right, because all glory, all glory is not to government, all glory is to God." Was the remark in jest? No. And the crowd knew it.

His comments got big applause and an “amen” from moderator Steve Bannon, who, by the way, is set to stand trial in a New York state court for fraud and money laundering in May and only escaped federal prosecution because of a presidential pardon. As far as I have seen, no Republican attendee denounced Posobiec’s comments.

That is scary as shit right there... I didn't think they'd be relevant today after some of their past antics but I was oh so wrong.

How much of that is bluster and stage performance for their audience?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1158 on: February 25, 2024, 01:29:51 AM »

That is scary as shit right there... I didn't think they'd be relevant today after some of their past antics but I was oh so wrong.

How much of that is bluster and stage performance for their audience?
When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1159 on: February 25, 2024, 01:49:29 AM »

Only $354 million to go!

Why would anyone give to this?

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1160 on: February 25, 2024, 01:55:20 AM »

She just lost South Carolina - her home state - which pretty much says it all.

When the primaries first began, she was one of the Republicans I wanted to see move forward.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1161 on: February 25, 2024, 04:30:52 PM »
Every so often a number just jumps out at me:

According to state Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron’s final judgment, entered Friday, Trump now owes New York at least $454 million — the $355 million penalty plus interest, which is now accruing at a rate of $112,000 per day.

Separately, he faces an $83.3 million judgment in a federal defamation case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll.

Almost a million per week in interest. It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1162 on: February 25, 2024, 05:09:55 PM »

According to state Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron’s final judgment, entered Friday, Trump now owes New York at least $454 million — the $355 million penalty plus interest, which is now accruing at a rate of $112,000 per day.

Separately, he faces an $83.3 million judgment in a federal defamation case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll.

Almost a million per week in interest. It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out

Trump is living proof that America is the "Land of Opportunity".  If you work hard enough you will eventually get what you deserve.  I can't wait to see what the other courts decide to give him.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1163 on: February 26, 2024, 08:38:04 AM »

Does his willing MAGA supporters even have that kind of cash to give away?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1164 on: February 26, 2024, 08:50:17 AM »

He received 74M votes in 2020. Surely there are 50M million supporters who can cough up $10 each?

(Not looking good as the gofundme has only 1.2M as of this morning.)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1165 on: February 26, 2024, 09:01:41 AM »

My suspicion is that the cost of all Trump's legal fees are going to have a lot of down-ballot impacts while the bonds he will need to post during appeals (plural) will give Trump Co. some serious liquidity issues.  Doubtless there will be bleed-over from one to another.

From a campaign standpoint, I expect the RNC and various super-pacs will spend whatever's necessary on the presidential race and be competitive to the Biden campaign. But the impact will come from not giving as much support to all the other races.  We know over $55MM in campaign contributions have gone to Trump's various legal teams since last September, and that amount is almost certain to accelerate.  With his liquidity crunch from the recent verdicts Trump is going to lean even harder to get them to pay more to keep him out of jail (after all, nearly everyone can agree the biggest disaster for the GOP would Trump on the ballot with multiple criminal convictions).  But if $100MM is going to his defense it's not going to actual campaigns.  Maybe that means 20 competitive races will get $5MM less in campaign funding.

From a donor perspective, you're contributing limited funds to keep Trump out of jail, not to get the candidates you want elected.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #1166 on: February 26, 2024, 09:23:53 AM »

My suspicion is that the cost of all Trump's legal fees are going to have a lot of down-ballot impacts while the bonds he will need to post during appeals (plural) will give Trump Co. some serious liquidity issues.  Doubtless there will be bleed-over from one to another.

From a campaign standpoint, I expect the RNC and various super-pacs will spend whatever's necessary on the presidential race and be competitive to the Biden campaign. But the impact will come from not giving as much support to all the other races.  We know over $55MM in campaign contributions have gone to Trump's various legal teams since last September, and that amount is almost certain to accelerate.  With his liquidity crunch from the recent verdicts Trump is going to lean even harder to get them to pay more to keep him out of jail (after all, nearly everyone can agree the biggest disaster for the GOP would Trump on the ballot with multiple criminal convictions).  But if $100MM is going to his defense it's not going to actual campaigns.  Maybe that means 20 competitive races will get $5MM less in campaign funding.

From a donor perspective, you're contributing limited funds to keep Trump out of jail, not to get the candidates you want elected.

If I were a donor, I would be treating Trump's election as not a real possibility. It would be far easier to retake the Senate than it is to win the Presidency. This is a very, very favorable year for the GOP in Senate races.

Dems will be losing anywhere from 1-5 seats in the Senate this cycle. (There is no reality where WV doesn't flip red). I think Trump presents probably the best chance at Dems just barely hanging onto all 3 chambers if he sucks up too much of the party's funds for himself away from seats that should be easy for them to win.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1167 on: February 26, 2024, 09:59:39 AM »

If I were a donor, I would be treating Trump's election as not a real possibility. It would be far easier to retake the Senate than it is to win the Presidency. This is a very, very favorable year for the GOP in Senate races.

Dems will be losing anywhere from 1-5 seats in the Senate this cycle. (There is no reality where WV doesn't flip red). I think Trump presents probably the best chance at Dems just barely hanging onto all 3 chambers if he sucks up too much of the party's funds for himself away from seats that should be easy for them to win.

I dunno, Trump is thrashing Biden in the polls right now, Bidens campaign is just a giant limp noodle and it's probably too late to get back the narrative. It seems like they aren't taking a Trump win seriously and just assume that Americans are not morons, which is a bad assumption. GOP would probably hope that a trump win drives downballot candidate wins.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1168 on: February 26, 2024, 10:12:11 AM »

I dunno, Trump is thrashing Biden in the polls right now, Bidens campaign is just a giant limp noodle and it's probably too late to get back the narrative. It seems like they aren't taking a Trump win seriously and just assume that Americans are not morons, which is a bad assumption. GOP would probably hope that a trump win drives downballot candidate wins.

I think you are overestimating just how many Americans are giving any mental space to the 2024 election right now. I’d bet a sizeable chunk of the electorate isn’t even considering that it’s an election year. IRL I don’t hear anyone talking about the candidates or voting. The only yards I see with political signs are ones that have had them up for 3+ years. It helps that I’m in one of the 47 states that hasn’t had their primary yet, but even then the outcome seems such a forging conclusion only the due hard politicos seem likely to show (only about 5% of adult Iowans bothered to caucus for example). I

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #1169 on: February 26, 2024, 10:38:39 AM »

I think you are overestimating just how many Americans are giving any mental space to the 2024 election right now. I’d bet a sizeable chunk of the electorate isn’t even considering that it’s an election year. IRL I don’t hear anyone talking about the candidates or voting. The only yards I see with political signs are ones that have had them up for 3+ years. It helps that I’m in one of the 47 states that hasn’t had their primary yet, but even then the outcome seems such a forging conclusion only the due hard politicos seem likely to show (only about 5% of adult Iowans bothered to caucus for example). I

I tend to agree that general polling is of limited value this far out and I believe has close to 0 predictive power on the November outcome. Look at the RCP averages of previous years:

2004: had Kerry up almost the whole race, ends up losing by 2 points.
2008: polling had McCain up 3 points in September 2008, Obama ended up winning by 7.
2012: Sept 2012 had Obama up 0-1 points. Obama ends up winning by 4.
2016: Sept 2016 has Hillary up 1-2 points, she wins by 2.
2020: Sept 2020 had Biden up 8, he wins by 4.5.

Polling isn't useless, but the numbers only tell 1 story.

All that to say, general polling also isn't very useful if the story of the election is really about 4-6 states. (AZ, WI, MI, PA, and GA). (see: 2016 election)

Look at state wide polling. Biden is down in those polls, but most other polling continues to show people turning out for Dem candidates:

Nevada polling: Trump +11, but Dem Senator +2
Arizona: Trump +5, Dem Senator +5
Penn: Trump +2, Dem Senator +9

The polling is coherent at the moment, and I think that's what nereo is pointing at. It's simply that people aren't really considering the political reality yet. How does it shake out in the end?

Trump is affecting down ballot races for the GOP. Biden is depending on down ballot races to boost him up.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1170 on: February 27, 2024, 11:52:08 PM »
"After the election of Donald Trump, the Freedom Caucus shifted its emphasis to loyalty to Trump"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Caucus

Tweet from a week ago by the Freedom Caucus:
"Congress is in session just three days before a partial government shutdown begins March 1."
https://twitter.com/freedomcaucus/status/1760400316384596279

"We request an update on the appropriations negotiations including, but not limited to ..."

"* Reducing Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas' salary to $0;"
"* Defund the Pentagon's illegal abortion travel fund;"
"* Defund Planned Parenthood to prevent the use of taxpayer dollars on abortions;"
https://twitter.com/freedomcaucus/status/1760400316384596279/photo/1

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1171 on: February 28, 2024, 12:07:40 AM »
My interpretation of this Trump Freedom Caucus tweet: either the Homeland Secretary gets no salary, or we begin a partial government shutdown.  There are some other demands where they try to change the law by saying "funding of implementation"... meaning the law needs to be changed by a lack of funding.

Speaker Johnson isn't separate from the Freedom Caucus, and I hope the pressure on him increases to actually pass legislation.  He seems unwilling to do so, which isn't a good sign for someone running the House of Representatives.

"He was supported by the House Freedom Caucus PAC and frequently attended House Freedom Caucus meetings without formally joining the Caucus."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Johnson_(Louisiana_politician)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 12:13:33 AM by MustacheAndaHalf »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1172 on: February 28, 2024, 01:18:29 AM »
"After the election of Donald Trump, the Freedom Caucus shifted its emphasis to loyalty to Trump"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Caucus

Tweet from a week ago by the Freedom Caucus:
"Congress is in session just three days before a partial government shutdown begins March 1."
https://twitter.com/freedomcaucus/status/1760400316384596279

"We request an update on the appropriations negotiations including, but not limited to ..."

"* Reducing Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas' salary to $0;"
"* Defund the Pentagon's illegal abortion travel fund;"
"* Defund Planned Parenthood to prevent the use of taxpayer dollars on abortions;"
https://twitter.com/freedomcaucus/status/1760400316384596279/photo/1

Johnson admitted in a Party-level conference call last weekend that the only way to even entertain these Freedom Caucus policy ploys would be to have a government shutdown due to the time required to debate them. The HFC doesn't care if there's a shutdown or not. Making a lot of noise is the point for them.  The rest of the Party does care though (especially those in competitive districts), and so far the Democrats have been the ones to keep the government running.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1173 on: February 28, 2024, 11:09:50 AM »
It is always opposite day in the conservative movement. If they name something patriot, freedom, liberty - it isn't...

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1174 on: February 28, 2024, 12:07:09 PM »
McConnell won't be the Senate Republican leader next year. So, now if the Republicans win the Senate, the Democrats can take solace in the fact that it will likely be as productive as the Republican House.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1175 on: March 02, 2024, 05:38:51 AM »
The converse of that is McConnell will be replaced by someone who will not suffer if the government shuts down and who will feel little responsibility for achieving any of its basic functions...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1176 on: March 02, 2024, 06:23:20 AM »
The converse of that is McConnell will be replaced by someone who will not suffer if the government shuts down and who will feel little responsibility for achieving any of its basic functions...

Yeah, this. The Republican downward spiral means that every new leader makes the old one look like an angel.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1177 on: March 03, 2024, 03:52:16 PM »

Yeah, this. The Republican downward spiral means that every new leader makes the old one look like an angel.

ya know Rick Scott aka Skeletor might have designs on that position. Never put anything past that sick chucklefuck.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1178 on: March 03, 2024, 04:49:10 PM »

ya know Rick Scott aka Skeletor might have designs on that position. Never put anything past that sick chucklefuck.

I think there’s more than enough to be critical of without the need to resort to school yard insults, amirite?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1179 on: March 11, 2024, 09:17:16 PM »
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/rnc-fires-dozens-of-staffers-after-leadership-shakeup/

https://twitter.com/AudreyFahlberg/status/1767354427826958430

https://twitter.com/AudreyFahlberg/status/1767361288357790173

Lara Trump and other friendlies appointed to the RNC. Apparently the purges are beginning and will include state/regional offices getting MAGA loyalty tested.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1180 on: March 11, 2024, 09:45:36 PM »
Wow. I can see the RNC falling apart and a new conservative party rising from the ashes if Trump loses again or when he dies. Or does this always happen when an incumbent (of sorts) wins the nomination?

The good news, as an anti-Trumper, is that Lara T may actually drain the coffers to help her FIL bond out on the NYS lawsuit. I also suspect that DJT's strategic decision making isn't up to par and he'll get what he deserves when he appoints sycophants.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1181 on: March 12, 2024, 07:22:50 AM »
I can see the RNC falling apart and a new conservative party rising from the ashes if Trump loses again or when he dies.

The Democrats are already plenty conservative and can fill that role.  Maybe a left wing party could finally appear in American politics.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1182 on: March 12, 2024, 08:07:20 AM »
I can see the RNC falling apart and a new conservative party rising from the ashes if Trump loses again or when he dies.

The Democrats are already plenty conservative and can fill that role.  Maybe a left wing party could finally appear in American politics.

Amen.  So tired of this All Democrats are Left Wing trope, but it's repeated endlessly. 
A former colleague used to describe Obama as "far Left" - I just told him that he doesn't even recognize a centrist anymore because he himself is so far Right. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1183 on: March 12, 2024, 08:44:44 AM »
Bernie Sanders is left. AOC maybe too. And that is all the lefts I know in US politics. (Though of course as a German I might miss a lot.)

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1184 on: March 12, 2024, 09:12:08 AM »
Bernie Sanders is left. AOC maybe too. And that is all the lefts I know in US politics. (Though of course as a German I might miss a lot.)

Bernie Sanders and AOC would fit comfortably into the centrist Liberal party here in Canada, maybe even into the right wing conservative party.  It is hard to overstate just how extremely far right the Overton window has been pushed inside the US.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1185 on: March 12, 2024, 09:49:23 AM »
Unfortunately, a far left party would take away voters solely from the Democrats, making it more likely a Republican minority continues to dominate politics. We're already screwed for years with the (self serving, politically motivated, and for Thomas/Kavanagh, ethically bankrupt) SCOTUS as it is.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1186 on: March 12, 2024, 09:58:08 AM »

Bernie Sanders and AOC would fit comfortably into the centrist Liberal party here in Canada, maybe even into the right wing conservative party.  It is hard to overstate just how extremely far right the Overton window has been pushed inside the US.

Bernie has praised the NDP, which has some progressive creds.

Which party, with members in parliament, would be considered far-left in Canada? Sanders isn't an anarchist or part of ELF but are there any federally elected anarchists or ELF members?

Eta: AOC's Green New Deal is more aggressive than anything proposed by center liberals in Canada or Europe. Would she be considered a greenie?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 10:01:53 AM by bacchi »

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1187 on: March 12, 2024, 09:59:22 AM »
Unfortunately, a far left party would take away voters solely from the Democrats, making it more likely a Republican minority continues to dominate politics. We're already screwed for years with the (self serving, politically motivated, and for Thomas/Kavanagh, ethically bankrupt) SCOTUS as it is.

This is largely what happened in Canada for quite a few years, Liberal and NDP split the left and conservatives end up with minority governments.

AOC and Bernie are not really aligned with the liberal party of canada, they would be closer to the NDP, they would be pretty run of the mill NDP candidates I think. Dems are somewhere between the libs and conservatives depending on the issue and there's nothing like the republican party in canada that has any actual power.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1188 on: March 12, 2024, 10:02:39 AM »

This is largely what happened in Canada for quite a few years, Liberal and NDP split the left and conservatives end up with minority governments.

AOC and Bernie are not really aligned with the liberal party of canada, they would be closer to the NDP, they would be pretty run of the mill NDP candidates I think. Dems are somewhere between the libs and conservatives depending on the issue and there's nothing like the republican party in canada that has any actual power.

Although Maxime Bernier would love to be that party.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1189 on: March 18, 2024, 03:20:16 PM »
Trump Spurned by 30 Companies as He Seeks Bond in $454 Million Judgment (NY Times, unlocked article)

Donald J. Trump’s lawyers said in a court filing that he faces “insurmountable difficulties” as he tries to raise cash for the civil fraud penalty he faces in New York.

Imagine that. Perhaps he should have paid his creditors, not declared bankruptcy 4 times, and not committed tax fraud.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1190 on: March 18, 2024, 04:44:36 PM »
Trump Spurned by 30 Companies as He Seeks Bond in $454 Million Judgment (NY Times, unlocked article)

Donald J. Trump’s lawyers said in a court filing that he faces “insurmountable difficulties” as he tries to raise cash for the civil fraud penalty he faces in New York.

Imagine that. Perhaps he should have paid his creditors, not declared bankruptcy 4 times, and not committed tax fraud.
… but… but… but…!!  In the 2016 election he claimed he was worth in excess of TEN BILLION DOLLARS!
I’m beginning to think he might not be as wealthy as he claims.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #1191 on: March 18, 2024, 05:11:15 PM »

… but… but… but…!!  In the 2016 election he claimed he was worth in excess of TEN BILLION DOLLARS!

Makes it sound like he’s worth around 400-700MM at most if he can’t cover it. I assumed he may have been worth maybe 2B at one point, but that was obviously too much as well. Hes fooled too many people into thinking he’s worth multiples more than he really is.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1192 on: March 18, 2024, 05:18:38 PM »

Makes it sound like he’s worth around 400-700MM at most if he can’t cover it. I assumed he may have been worth maybe 2B at one point, but that was obviously too much as well. Hes fooled too many people into thinking he’s worth multiples more than he really is.

He could be cash poor and house rich. In other words, there's enough cash flow to pay his bills and to pay his expenses but not enough to cover anything else. If this is true, he's really cutting it close because he had to take a ~90M loan for the EJC lawsuit (unless he's planning to stiff the bank if he loses that case on appeal).

I guess the state will begin taking assets and, if he wins on appeal, he can get the money back?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1193 on: March 18, 2024, 05:47:55 PM »

He could be cash poor and house rich. In other words, there's enough cash flow to pay his bills and to pay his expenses but not enough to cover anything else. If this is true, he's really cutting it close because he had to take a ~90M loan for the EJC lawsuit (unless he's planning to stiff the bank if he loses that case on appeal).

I guess the state will begin taking assets and, if he wins on appeal, he can get the money back?

Except his lawyers are claiming that he cannot find someone who will issue him a bond even with physical assets as collateral. If that’s indeed the case even his properties cannot secure the loan.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #1194 on: March 18, 2024, 05:56:18 PM »
There's a lot of truth to how he has inflated his net worth, like so much else.  But if course there is a shrewd play, too.  He doesn't have $454M *in New York.*  The judgment was against him and against his New York business entity.  He (or, more likely, a smart lawyer and finance person he has hired) won't hock Mar-A-Lago, or the golf course in Scotland, or put any other property or wealth outside of New York in jeopardy for this.  He can claim hardship, but it's really just more delay.  If the NY AG does proceed to seize, of course that will be tied up in court, too.

And of course nobody wants a skyscraper in NYC.  Ever heard of NYCB?  They've put the word out that there maybe trouble in the city.

Meanwhile, he's persecuted...

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1195 on: March 18, 2024, 06:13:35 PM »
There's a lot of truth to how he has inflated his net worth, like so much else.  But if course there is a shrewd play, too.  He doesn't have $454M *in New York.*  The judgment was against him and against his New York business entity.  He (or, more likely, a smart lawyer and finance person he has hired) won't hock Mar-A-Lago, or the golf course in Scotland, or put any other property or wealth outside of New York in jeopardy for this.  He can claim hardship, but it's really just more delay.  If the NY AG does proceed to seize, of course that will be tied up in court, too.

And of course nobody wants a skyscraper in NYC.  Ever heard of NYCB?  They've put the word out that there maybe trouble in the city.

I believe a court judgment reaches beyond state borders. Unless the Florida courts decide to ignore long standing law, Mar-a-lago is fair game.

I can't find the NY state regulations but some other states require as much as 150% of the property to be unencumbered for a property bond. If that's the case in NY, it would mean his properties need to have almost $750M in equity. If they don't, he's not even a billionaire (Shocked! I am shocked! /s)

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #1196 on: March 18, 2024, 06:26:29 PM »

I believe a court judgment reaches beyond state borders. Unless the Florida courts decide to ignore long standing law, Mar-a-lago is fair game.

I can't find the NY state regulations but some other states require as much as 150% of the property to be unencumbered for a property bond. If that's the case in NY, it would mean his properties need to have almost $750M in equity. If they don't, he's not even a billionaire (Shocked! I am shocked! /s)
Right, they can come get them...more litigation.  More delay.  But he isn't voluntarily going to put them up as collateral to post bond.  Far too quick of a process.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1197 on: March 18, 2024, 06:32:35 PM »
Can I throw him some paper towels?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1198 on: March 18, 2024, 06:34:18 PM »
Only the best people...

Can anyone give me the short version of the NYCB reference?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1199 on: March 18, 2024, 06:40:26 PM »
Only the best people...

Can anyone give me the short version of the NYCB reference?

NY Community Bank, a regional bank in a lot of distress. It reported substantially higher than expected losses in its commercial portfolio.