Author Topic: Continuing outrages related to our 45th President  (Read 114864 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Continuing outrages related to our 45th President
« Reply #600 on: August 10, 2022, 12:35:16 PM »
Does anyone think the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago has anything to do with Ukraine or ex filtrating military/weapons information to any of the nations that propped up Trump?
Seems unlikely to me. All signs point to this being a continued dispute over not turning over documents related to his presidency, and quite possibly tied to the Jan 6th investigation. Russia invaded Ukraine over a year after he left office

It's feasible that the documents he took pertain to those issues, and he took them because he didnt want people to have them. But i agree it's unlikely, it's more likely he's just a moron who took stuff he wasn't supposed to. Although i guess if it was pretty innocuous he would have turned it over and given it back, not kept it in his safe.

Yeah, anything is possible with DJT - but I think it works be unlikely (or largely coincidental) based on the timing. The quest to get required classified documents and presidential records back from him has been ongoing, and the FBI involvement predates the Russian invasion

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: August 10, 2022, 03:38:40 PM »
Does anyone know of a site with a decent compilation of everything Trump did illegally in regards to Jan 6th?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: August 11, 2022, 07:23:58 AM »
I've generally relied on the Washington Post. They were pretty good in splicing in videos with their narratives regarding Jan. 6.

Their main drawback is that conservative media conditions its consumers to not trust them, so if you're hoping to somehow deprogram Trump supporters around you, I doubt it will help.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: August 11, 2022, 09:21:28 AM »
I've generally relied on the Washington Post. They were pretty good in splicing in videos with their narratives regarding Jan. 6.

Their main drawback is that conservative media conditions its consumers to not trust them, so if you're hoping to somehow deprogram Trump supporters around you, I doubt it will help.

Yup. I tried to have a discussion about that issue more than two years prior to Jan. 6th, and got a lot of Fake News! Mainstream Media!

Even when I pointed out that Fox News was also MSM, and other countries also have journalists, pointing out the nonsense...nope. BBC, Bild, Al Jazeera, Toronto Sun...nope.

If you can't agree on facts, you cannot agree on causal relationships and outcomes.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #604 on: August 11, 2022, 09:25:52 AM »
First US Pres to ever plead the fifth: USA! USA!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #605 on: August 11, 2022, 10:17:10 AM »
First US Pres to ever plead the fifth: USA! USA!

Is that true? I thought both Nixon and Clinton had in their depositions. Could be wrong though…

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #606 on: August 11, 2022, 10:23:25 AM »
Clinton's 1998 deposition was eventually made public. You're welcome to watch it and check.

Rather than invoke the fifth amendment, Clinton gave answers that were calibrated to leave ambiguity such that he could subsequently argue he'd answered truthfully, while Starr's team argued that the answers were lies, and that Clinton had intended to lie (thus leaving open the possibility of commission of a crime). When it happened, there were many people who thought that--having been exposed in the commission of a crime--the only honorable choice for the President would be for him to immediately resign. Would that it were still so innocent a time as that!

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: August 11, 2022, 05:27:17 PM »

Essentially I'm following a low information diet on Trump. I haven't been paying attention much. I'm convinced he's a crook and should go to jail but have doubts it'll ever happen. That being said I do have a family member who I think may be at least somewhat actually interested in facts enough to merit taking to, and I didn't know enough to talk to him intelligently or show him a good summary of what all had happened that was illegal.

less4success

• Stubble
« Reply #608 on: August 11, 2022, 08:17:48 PM »
My prediction: the FBI won't find anything incriminating because this was just a trap that had been set for the FBI, and the "informant" was actually loyal to Trump.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #609 on: August 11, 2022, 08:52:17 PM »
My prediction: the FBI won't find anything incriminating because this was just a trap that had been set for the FBI, and the "informant" was actually loyal to Trump.

Wouldn't Trump have already released the warrant in that case?

Per WaPo, the FBI was looking for classified nuclear documents. I'd guess he was planning to sell them eventually.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #610 on: August 11, 2022, 09:06:13 PM »

Per WaPo, the FBI was looking for classified nuclear documents. I'd guess he was planning to sell them eventually.

Rumors suggest that Signals Intelligence materials were there too.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #611 on: August 12, 2022, 02:09:30 AM »

Rumors suggest that Signals Intelligence materials were there too.
My suspicion would be that Trump liked having them around because it made him feel he was still important and it's Jared that is selling the contents.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: August 12, 2022, 07:24:21 AM »

Essentially I'm following a low information diet on Trump. I haven't been paying attention much. I'm convinced he's a crook and should go to jail but have doubts it'll ever happen. That being said I do have a family member who I think may be at least somewhat actually interested in facts enough to merit taking to, and I didn't know enough to talk to him intelligently or show him a good summary of what all had happened that was illegal.

This was my approach for much of 2021. Unfortunately, it seemed more and more like voters had the memory of golden retrievers, and guys who paid fealty to Trump seemed like they were winning elections. Even Glenn Youngkin--who tried to keep Trump at a distance--was holding campaign events at which people were saluting a CSA flag that had been carried to Capitol Hill on Jan. 6, and the missteps by the current President seemed like they were piling up.

Even if you think Trump is losing political altitude sufficiently fast such that he cannot win GOP primaries, he still has multiple ways to push politics in the directions he wants, a la Pat Buchanan.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #613 on: August 12, 2022, 09:20:05 PM »
I frequently wonder why his base don’t get tired of being constantly asked for more money to fight yet another existential threat from the scary left. I have a few family members who gave to Trump and now they get texts almost every week that all basically say “we need your money now or freedom will end forever.”  I would have thought that at some point the false urgency would have lost its effectiveness.

Never mind Trump campaigned on being so rich he’d never need other people’s money.

All around not a great week for the former president.

Before becoming President he was significantly less-rich than he let on. His real estate deals have always been questionable and recently he's kept them afloat with something like $400 million in loans that he had to personally guarantee because nobody trusts him anymore. From candidate through today he's forced the RNC and the Secret Service to pay enormous rental fees to stay in his properties. His lifetime protection detail will probably be the most expensive ever.  He's been looking to sell off some properties, but his name is so toxic that he can't get rid of them.  Apparently the RNC has been paying some of his legal bills, despite raising something like $200 million during his "stop the steal" madness for that specific purpose. He's basically convinced Republicans the world over to pay his bills for him.
Yup, but that doesn’t answer why his supporters, typically those of modest means, keep contributing to his frantic fundraising asks.
Sunk cost fallacy. https://yourbias.is/the-sunk-cost-fallacy

You irrationally cling to things that have already cost you something.

When we've invested our time, money, or emotion into something, it hurts us to let it go. This aversion to pain can distort our better judgment and cause us to make unwise investments. A sunk cost means that we can't recover it, so it's rational to disregard the cost when evaluating. For instance, if you've spent money on a meal but you only feel like eating half of it, it's irrational to continue to stuff your face just because 'you've already paid for it'; especially considering the fact that you're wasting actual time doing so.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #614 on: August 13, 2022, 07:58:19 AM »
So the warrant has been released now, and it seems...appalling. And also unsurprising.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #615 on: August 15, 2022, 12:41:01 PM »
So the warrant has been released now, and it seems...appalling. And also unsurprising.

There were certainly some opinion pieces published earlier in the week that didn't age well.

A lot of the GOP party supporters quieted quickly, as they reworked their talking points, but his core base remains resolute. He still has the following to hint at violence if he's charged and hauled into court.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #616 on: August 15, 2022, 06:34:12 PM »
Well this is interesting…

The Washington POst reports:
“A team of computer experts directed by lawyers allied with President Donald Trump copied sensitive data from election systems in Georgia as part of a secretive, multistate effort to access voting equipment that was broader, more organized and more successful than previously reported.

Meanwhile, his personal lawyer (Rudy) has been formally notified that he is being investigated as part of the ongoing criminal probe of election interference in Georgia.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #617 on: August 15, 2022, 07:45:04 PM »
Well this is interesting…

The Washington POst reports:
“A team of computer experts directed by lawyers allied with President Donald Trump copied sensitive data from election systems in Georgia as part of a secretive, multistate effort to access voting equipment that was broader, more organized and more successful than previously reported.

Meanwhile, his personal lawyer (Rudy) has been formally notified that he is being investigated as part of the ongoing criminal probe of election interference in Georgia.

If it were anybody else this would be at trial already. A political candidate calls up the state official responsible for overseeing the election and tells him "just change the results in my favor." He was calling governors and election officials that whole week trying to get them to not certify the results. tamper with the election process.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: August 15, 2022, 07:51:26 PM »
That...sounds like criming.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #619 on: August 15, 2022, 10:01:08 PM »
Add “sent veiled threats to Attorney General” to the bingo card.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-asked-ag-garland-fbi-raid-warrant-2022-8?amp

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #620 on: August 16, 2022, 06:10:40 AM »
I'm surprised I haven't been seeing more whataboutism mentioning the Clinton-Lynch airplane tarmac intimidation.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #621 on: August 16, 2022, 06:26:06 AM »
Also, with his new popularity boost from being the subject of the FBI warrant execution, it seems that our Forty-Fifth President is taking the chance to be more specific about what policies he'll implement if he has the chance to also be our Forty-Seventh President:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/08/16/trump-speeches-extreme-agenda-2024-bid/

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #622 on: August 16, 2022, 08:38:39 AM »
Also, with his new popularity boost from being the subject of the FBI warrant execution, it seems that our Forty-Fifth President is taking the chance to be more specific about what policies he'll implement if he has the chance to also be our Forty-Seventh President:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/08/16/trump-speeches-extreme-agenda-2024-bid/

Law and Order in the sense of imposing his idea of order without regard to law.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #623 on: August 17, 2022, 12:26:30 PM »
I was listening to a story on NPR, and they noted that Donald Trump has been listed as a defendant in over 2,000 civil lawsuits since the late 1980s.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #624 on: August 17, 2022, 02:59:20 PM »
I've heard that number. From what I understand, being a landlord it comes with the territory that you get sued quite a bit. I've been a party to five real estate purchases, as well as executed five rental agreements during my adult life. One lawsuit out of that. So 10% of the time?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #625 on: August 17, 2022, 03:10:41 PM »
I've heard that number. From what I understand, being a landlord it comes with the territory that you get sued quite a bit. I've been a party to five real estate purchases, as well as executed five rental agreements during my adult life. One lawsuit out of that. So 10% of the time?

It may be even more prevalent if (like Trump) you're the sort of landlord who the Justice Department finds out has a standing policy not to rent to black people.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #626 on: August 17, 2022, 03:20:25 PM »
Or who routinely doesn't pay contractors for work performed

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #627 on: August 18, 2022, 08:36:57 AM »
Given that TFG's endorsements have a pretty good record in the primaries, we might see a decent number of election reality deniers in the House. If the GOP wins the House, which is likely, will we see House Select Committees on North Korean ballot ships, Chinese bamboo ballots, Italian satellite hackers, and "the Brits"?

It's not an entirely far-fetched question given the AZ Senate's funding of the CyberNinja recount.

Edit: I forgot about Hugo Chavez's l33t coding skills, as seen in the Dominion software.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 08:39:44 AM by bacchi »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #628 on: August 18, 2022, 08:38:55 AM »
It's not an entirely far-fetched question given the AZ Senate's funding of the CyberNinja recount.

The AZ senate should be forced to legally reimburse taxpayers for every cent of that tremendous waste of money out of their own pockets.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #629 on: August 18, 2022, 09:08:12 AM »

The AZ senate should be forced to legally reimburse taxpayers for every cent of that tremendous waste of money out of their own pockets.

How would that work?  The Senate is funded through taxes, so they'd be using their taxpayer funds to reimburse tax-payers for the tax money they wasted...

Maybe they can hold a bake sale.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #630 on: August 18, 2022, 09:20:32 AM »

How would that work?  The Senate is funded through taxes, so they'd be using their taxpayer funds to reimburse tax-payers for the tax money they wasted...

Stop paying salaries until the amount has been covered.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #631 on: August 18, 2022, 11:50:10 AM »

Stop paying salaries until the amount has been covered.
yes there should be something equivelant to a frivolous lawsuit protection, that is politicians start multi million dollar investigations not based on hard evidence, the money is taken out of those politicians expenses

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #632 on: August 18, 2022, 12:22:35 PM »
Well that would involve a measure of accountability that Republicans just don't seem capable of

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #633 on: August 18, 2022, 01:17:27 PM »
Well that would involve a measure of accountability that Republicans just don't seem capable of

They seem to have abandoned even the pretense of fiscal conservatism long ago.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #634 on: August 18, 2022, 05:04:44 PM »

Just like the other side. When it’s politics, it’s all the same in this area.

less4success

• Stubble
« Reply #635 on: August 18, 2022, 05:46:21 PM »
Remind us which multimillion dollar investigation based on no hard evidence state Democrats started.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #636 on: August 19, 2022, 07:05:48 AM »
Before anyone says that the Mueller investigation was in this category, I'm going to point out that AG Sessions (a Republican) recused himself from it, Rosenstein (a Republican) appointed Mueller, and Mueller had been FBI director under George W. Bush.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #637 on: August 19, 2022, 07:50:40 AM »
Before anyone says that the Mueller investigation was in this category, I'm going to point out that AG Sessions (a Republican) recused himself from it, Rosenstein (a Republican) appointed Mueller, and Mueller had been FBI director under George W. Bush.

I wouldn't call the investigation monproductive. While he stopped short of stating obstruction of justice for Trump (citing no sitting president has ever been indicted and Mueller stated he was told he could not indict trump) the charge of Russian interference was proven. 34 people were charged with various crimes and 8 people pled guilty. (2 of which Trump later pardoned).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 07:57:53 AM by partgypsy »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #638 on: August 19, 2022, 08:04:59 AM »

I wouldn't call the investigation monproductive. While he stopped short of stating obstruction of justice for Trump (citing no sitting president has ever been indicted and Mueller stated he was told he could not indict trump) the charge of Russian interference was proven. 34 people were charged with various crimes and 8 people pled guilty. (2 of which Trump later pardoned).

Yeah, the Mueller investigation found what it was looking for.  It's not Mueller's fault that he was hamstrung by the current understanding that a sitting US president is above all law and can only be held accountable by impeachment.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: August 19, 2022, 08:09:42 AM »

Agree 100%.  I've been wondering if I, as a resident, can ask the government for a financial accounting.  I'd like to publish that number before the general election to keep it in the forefront of potential voters who want to believe they are voting for the "fiscally responsible" party. 

I'm pretty sure those millions would have been put to much better use in our education and justice systems.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #640 on: August 19, 2022, 10:28:05 AM »

An excellent response.

Trump being able to use that pardon power only followed because of the ridiculous bar for impeachment.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #641 on: August 19, 2022, 12:01:24 PM »

Agree 100%.  I've been wondering if I, as a resident, can ask the government for a financial accounting.  I'd like to publish that number before the general election to keep it in the forefront of potential voters who want to believe they are voting for the "fiscally responsible" party. 

I'm pretty sure those millions would have been put to much better use in our education and justice systems.

All of the lawsuits, investigations, and so on that have been brought about by Republican craziness have cost the taxpayers everywhere in this country a pretty penny. That is aside from the human quality of life costs.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #642 on: August 21, 2022, 05:22:18 PM »
Remind us which multimillion dollar investigation based on no hard evidence state Democrats started.

hmmm democrats definitely didn't start the Benghazi investigations.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #643 on: August 30, 2022, 06:09:56 AM »

Yeah, the Mueller investigation found what it was looking for.  It's not Mueller's fault that he was hamstrung by the current understanding that a sitting US president is above all law and can only be held accountable by impeachment.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/08/merrick-garland-barr-memo-trump-lesson-doj.html

More information becomes public about how Bill Barr basically neutered the ability of DOJ to create any kind of criminal or political consequences for Donald Trump based on the findings of the Mueller investigation.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #644 on: August 31, 2022, 10:26:55 AM »
TFG is calling for a 2020 redo. Not a 2024 rematch but a 2020 election in 2022. I guess to finish the term.

Trump's various ventures have failed often if we consider the goal to be a successful business. However, if we consider the goal to make a profit for TFG, then most are a success. Declaring bankruptcy to discharge loans after paying yourself a hefty salary is a viable strategy. In other words, Truth may collapse spectacularly* but it will work wonders for TFG's wealth if it can merge with DWAC (and is he getting paid a salary/fee for his posts? I couldn't find that information.)

Hammering the 2020 election also serves a purpose. It keeps the contributions flowing into his leadership PAC.

In other words, I may have been wrong about TFG. He's not a self-deluded fool but instead is working a long con. We believe he can be flattered into compliance, and that he doesn't like losing, but instead he is simply working a different angle -- wealth aggrandizement. Acting like a sore loser only serves to increase his wealth.

* It's truly amazing that any bank or vendor in 2022, even a conservative one with a purpose, would trust TFG to pay his bills. Ffs, this is on you for being a moron.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #645 on: August 31, 2022, 11:12:17 AM »
Well, he's definitely a self deluded fool in a lot of ways, he's just good at conning other morons. His entire life has been nothing but grifting.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #646 on: August 31, 2022, 12:23:54 PM »
Well, he's definitely a self deluded fool in a lot of ways, he's just good at conning other morons. His entire life has been nothing but grifting.

True. I wonder if almost the entire left-of-center narrative about him is wrong, though.

For example, one of the theories about why he kept the classified documents was because he wanted to show it around to his sycophants, "See how powerful I was!" He's a narcissist -- it makes sense.

What if, instead, he knew he could use it to curry favor with foreign governments? Think of a future Trump Hotel Riyadh or Trump Hotel Moscow, especially if he gets foreign assistance to build. He's not really a bumbling idiot easily swayed by a fawner but a calculating conman through-and-through. His rants are acts.

Of course, sometimes you become the character if you stay in character too long. And KISS points to him being a narcissist that's had his way since his dad gave him a million dollars at age 12.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: August 31, 2022, 12:28:29 PM »
I agree with this take. He’s smart in many ways. Hopefully the US government is smarter.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #648 on: August 31, 2022, 01:11:51 PM »

True. I wonder if almost the entire left-of-center narrative about him is wrong, though.

For example, one of the theories about why he kept the classified documents was because he wanted to show it around to his sycophants, "See how powerful I was!" He's a narcissist -- it makes sense.

What if, instead, he knew he could use it to curry favor with foreign governments? Think of a future Trump Hotel Riyadh or Trump Hotel Moscow, especially if he gets foreign assistance to build. He's not really a bumbling idiot easily swayed by a fawner but a calculating conman through-and-through. His rants are acts.

Of course, sometimes you become the character if you stay in character too long. And KISS points to him being a narcissist that's had his way since his dad gave him a million dollars at age 12.

Who among us--if provided with a small $1 million loan at a young age--wouldn't be able to build a global real estate empire worth $billions?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #649 on: August 31, 2022, 01:40:23 PM »

Who among us--if provided with a small $1 million loan at a young age--wouldn't be able to build a global real estate empire worth $billions?
$1MM?  or $413MM?  Because Trump certainly had far more than a $1MM loan (the NYT reported that he received the equivalent of $413MM from his father, and not as a loan).