Author Topic: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?  (Read 93221 times)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2020, 08:14:19 AM »
This was interesting but not comforting - How Serious is the Coronavirus? Infectious Disease Expert Michael Osterholm Explains | Joe Rogan

More very good info. 

The link above is just the first 15 minutes of an 1:30 long interview. 

here's the complete version:  [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw[/size]

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2020, 08:18:57 AM »
This was interesting but not comforting - How Serious is the Coronavirus? Infectious Disease Expert Michael Osterholm Explains | Joe Rogan
This!  Best information by far!  Everyone should listen to this infectious disease Dr.  I really thought that having gone through the SARS and MERS outbreaks, that this would not be any different, but it is.  Thank goodness it doesn't appear to affect children so much.  Being over 60 myself, I am starting to get more worried.

Miss Prim

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2020, 08:20:30 AM »

More very good info. 

The link above is just the first 15 minutes of an 1:30 long interview. 

here's the complete version:  [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw[/size]

It seemed like the doctor was implying or suggesting that closing schools was a bad idea, comparing it to Hep A. But  but but  -- aren't kids carriers that spread the virus even if they don't get sick themselves??

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2020, 08:30:36 AM »
Husband’s coworker went home early today with a fever and heavy cough. And now we wait to see if husband develops symptoms. Could be influenza, could be COVID-19.

Also in metro detroit.  My son has had a fever since sunday.  He's been waking up coughing every 30-40 minutes every night.  It's been brutal.  Called the dr office and they don't want to see anyone that is suspected of having a viral infection.  They just want them to stay home.  He has a history of ear infections (3 double ear infections since Oct) so they are going to see him today in case he has that (he hasn't been complaining of ear pain, but has been complaining his head hurts and his stomach hurts - but he is only 2 so I think he also just repeats a lot of stuff).  They said it sounds like he may have coronavirus (or not, could be just a flu or cold).  They don't have the capability to test him anyway so we won't know unless they deem him bad enough to be sent to the hospital.  Not sure if the hospital will be able to test for it or not.  Would really like to avoid the hospital if at all possible though.  Seems like a sure fire way to get exposed to the virus (and other viruses) if he's (we) not already.  We've been working with him on covering his cough, but as a typical 2 year old he often just open mouth coughs directly into our faces or on the table or literally anywhere he is.  Whatever virus he has me and my wife surely have it as well.  Not sure if it's the same virus we both had the past few weeks, or if this is a new one he is going to pass to us.  We've all been sick a lot in the past 6 months.

Wife has been sick with at least 1 virus which was bad.  Sick for 1-2 weeks.  Sore throat, coughing, drainage, feeling like shit.
I've been sick 4 times since October.  All similar cold like viruses.
My son has been sick probably 12-15 times with various symptoms.  It's hard to know exactly how many times since I'm pretty sure some of the longer ones were likely 2,3, or 4 infections that happened consecutively with no recovery between them.   

It's been a shitty 6 months in the nacho household. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2020, 09:01:56 AM »
Johns Hopkins has this website for information on case rates :

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Johns Hopkins is by far the best source. WHO and CDC are beyond useless, unless you're after yesterday's data.

And then there were five.... Who will be the last holdout from Coronavirus? Today in Survivor: Coronavirus, the corners of the America battle it out, where Alabama, Alaska, Idaho, Maine, and West Virginia can all still pretend they don't have the virus, at least for another day.

In fairness, who is travelling to Alabama to actually give them the virus?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2020, 09:19:15 AM »

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Johns Hopkins is by far the best source. WHO and CDC are beyond useless, unless you're after yesterday's data.

And then there were five.... Who will be the last holdout from Coronavirus? Today in Survivor: Coronavirus, the corners of the America battle it out, where Alabama, Alaska, Idaho, Maine, and West Virginia can all still pretend they don't have the virus, at least for another day.

Alabama residents that have traveled elsewhere and are returning with the virus.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »

Is this the right Johns Hopkins link? Apparently there are some fakes out there.

March 11, 2020 – An increasing number of articles have been published on the Internet with unclear and sometimes misleading information concerning one of the primary dashboards for awareness concerning the spread of the Coronavirus.  To be clear, the online map posted by John Hopkins University at https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html does NOT contain any malware (and NEVER contained malware).  This popular dashboard web application is hosted by Esri as part of our ArcGIS Online offering.

The confusion comes from an issue where a malicious person created a downloadable Windows-based application containing malware whose display is practically identical to the John Hopkins Coronavirus browser-based dashboard (see comparison figure below).  Whomever posted the malicious downloadable app is attempting to take advantage of the hype around the Coronavirus, but it requires the user to either download the app executable, or it could be distributed by email for the user to then install onto their local Windows system.
https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/administration/coronavirus-downloadable-malware-map-app-clarification/

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2020, 09:28:39 AM »
On a positive note, we had someone do the textbook correct thing when they first noticed symptoms.  We've had about 6 total cases in Wisconsin, this one was #3 I believe.  He got back from traveling within the US, realized he matched symptoms of COVID-19, and immediately called the hospital.  They took him in through a back door of the hospital designated for this sort of thing where he would be in minimal contact with others.  It's been praised as an example of exactly how this should be handled.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »

Alabama residents that have traveled elsewhere and are returning with the virus.

I was in Alabama a couple of weeks ago and when checking into the hotel a bus load of people of Asian origin (and English was clearly not the first language) pulled up to check in to the hotel.  Not sure where they hailed from or how long in the US but Alabama was being visited.   

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2020, 09:31:37 AM »
Husband’s coworker went home early today with a fever and heavy cough. And now we wait to see if husband develops symptoms. Could be influenza, could be COVID-19.

Also in metro detroit.  My son has had a fever since sunday.  He's been waking up coughing every 30-40 minutes every night.  It's been brutal.  Called the dr office and they don't want to see anyone that is suspected of having a viral infection.  They just want them to stay home.  He has a history of ear infections (3 double ear infections since Oct) so they are going to see him today in case he has that (he hasn't been complaining of ear pain, but has been complaining his head hurts and his stomach hurts - but he is only 2 so I think he also just repeats a lot of stuff).  They said it sounds like he may have coronavirus (or not, could be just a flu or cold).  They don't have the capability to test him anyway so we won't know unless they deem him bad enough to be sent to the hospital.  Not sure if the hospital will be able to test for it or not.  Would really like to avoid the hospital if at all possible though.  Seems like a sure fire way to get exposed to the virus (and other viruses) if he's (we) not already.  We've been working with him on covering his cough, but as a typical 2 year old he often just open mouth coughs directly into our faces or on the table or literally anywhere he is.  Whatever virus he has me and my wife surely have it as well.  Not sure if it's the same virus we both had the past few weeks, or if this is a new one he is going to pass to us.  We've all been sick a lot in the past 6 months.

Wife has been sick with at least 1 virus which was bad.  Sick for 1-2 weeks.  Sore throat, coughing, drainage, feeling like shit.
My son has been sick probably 12-15 times with various symptoms.  It's hard to know exactly how many times since I'm pretty sure some of the longer ones were likely 2,3, or 4 infections that happened consecutively with no recovery between them.   

I'm so sorry. That is shitty and miserable.

I gave my husband the info for the Wayne County dept of health if his co-worker tries to show up today.

I know that one of the confirmed patients is at UM Hospital. If your son doesn't recover soon, you may want to contact UM or Beaumont for testing.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2020, 09:49:23 AM »

I was in Alabama a couple of weeks ago and when checking into the hotel a bus load of people of Asian origin (and English was clearly not the first language) pulled up to check in to the hotel.  Not sure where they hailed from or how long in the US but Alabama was being visited.   

Well, fine. Everyone just suck the fun out of my joke about how awful Alabama is.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2020, 09:52:00 AM »

Well, fine. Everyone just suck the fun out of my joke about how awful Alabama is.

On that point we agree, there probably aren't any cases there bc they don't have two nickels to rub together to buy the test kits (not that many are available anyway).  Until the fed sends kits to AL then there won't be any cases there.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2020, 10:07:39 AM »

On that point we agree, there probably aren't any cases there bc they don't have two nickels to rub together to buy the test kits (not that many are available anyway).  Until the fed sends kits to AL then there won't be any cases there.

Alabamian here.  It's funny because it's true.  We were up to having tested all of 20 people by Tuesday in a state of almost 5 million.  I wonder if we're up to 30 people tested yet.  There are already rumors of the local hospital having people showing obvious symptoms, but nobody wanting to pay for running the test. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2020, 10:13:28 AM »

Negative for the flu.  Dr. thinks it's unlikely to be coronavirus either.  He has another double ear infection and asthma.  Thats 4 double ear infections since October! This shit is bananas!  I'm gonna check into the possibility of just having his ears removed.   

popbottlepirate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »

Negative for the flu.  Dr. thinks it's unlikely to be coronavirus either.  He has another double ear infection and asthma.  Thats 4 double ear infections since October! This shit is bananas!  I'm gonna check into the possibility of just having his ears removed.

Hey FrugalNacho, I'm sure you don't need unsolicited advice. But I had terrible ear infections as a kid (including ear tubes) until my parents removed dairy from my diet. It's something about increased mucus production making it harder for the ears to clear so bacteria thrives. Take it for what you will. Also coincidentally I'm working in Detroit down at Campus Martius currently. It's a bit of a ghost town.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2020, 11:50:14 AM »

Hey FrugalNacho, I'm sure you don't need unsolicited advice. But I had terrible ear infections as a kid (including ear tubes) until my parents removed dairy from my diet. It's something about increased mucus production making it harder for the ears to clear so bacteria thrives. Take it for what you will. Also coincidentally I'm working in Detroit down at Campus Martius currently. It's a bit of a ghost town.

I'm in detroit right now too, less than 10 miles from you.

He lives on milk and yogurt and cheese.  We are having a hard time getting him to eat anything else.  Thanks for the input, we will check into what we can possibly do to help him stop getting ear infections.  After the last infection dr told us we would discuss ear tubes if he got another infection, so that's probably the next step after this infection gets cleared up.  Hopefully that will be enough, but we may have to consider more options.  I've never had an ear infection but I hear they are extremely painful.  Based on his behavior during the infections I believe it.  He will randomly start punching objects for no reason - no reason other than he is probably in pain and feels like shit and doesn't understand so he just punches his crib, or pillow, or us or whatever he can reach to take out his frustrations.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2020, 11:56:55 AM »

He lives on milk and yogurt and cheese.  We are having a hard time getting him to eat anything else.  Thanks for the input, we will check into what we can possibly do to help him stop getting ear infections.  After the last infection dr told us we would discuss ear tubes if he got another infection, so that's probably the next step after this infection gets cleared up.  Hopefully that will be enough, but we may have to consider more options.  I've never had an ear infection but I hear they are extremely painful.  Based on his behavior during the infections I believe it.  He will randomly start punching objects for no reason - no reason other than he is probably in pain and feels like shit and doesn't understand so he just punches his crib, or pillow, or us or whatever he can reach to take out his frustrations.
If you can't get him off dairy, how about trying lactose free dairy?  Just a thought, but possibly the easiest thing to try and probably can't do any harm.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2020, 12:06:02 PM »
For me it was grains more than dairy. If you tried a grain free dairy free diet for a month something magical might happen.

Here4theGB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2020, 12:31:40 PM »

Another anecdote.  I had terrible ear infection problems as a baby/toddler/younger person including tubes.  Multiple episodes every year.  I'm sure it made my mom miserable.  Anyways, as it was explained to me by the doc, I simply "outgrew" it.  I'm not sure how that works as I'm certainly no doctor, but now in my 40's I haven't had a problem with my ears in ~35+ years.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2020, 12:34:07 PM »

Another anecdote.  I had terrible ear infection problems as a baby/toddler/younger person including tubes.  Multiple episodes every year.  I'm sure it made my mom miserable.  Anyways, as it was explained to me by the doc, I simply "outgrew" it.  I'm not sure how that works as I'm certainly no doctor, but now in my 40's I haven't had a problem with my ears in ~35+ years.

I also outgrew it, but when I need antibiotics in my 20s, I found that I had developed an allergy to penicillin from all the bubblegum amoxy.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2020, 12:52:54 PM »

I also outgrew it, but when I need antibiotics in my 20s, I found that I had developed an allergy to penicillin from all the bubblegum amoxy.

I was as a kid and still am as an adult prone to ear infections....and they are painful once they hit a certain point.  I find that when my ear starts feeling funny I put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in there and swish it around - that usually clears it up if I get to it right away.   Kids won't get this but if you see them rubbing, pulling or whatever at the ear then do it then.   Beyond that point it is too late.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2020, 04:03:40 PM »
I work in a building of 200 some kindergarteners and 1st graders. The number of times we have to wash hands is incredible. We will just finish in the bathrooms, and one kid will literally lick palm to fingertip on both hands, another will be wiggling a tooth, and a third will be picking his nose. We pitched all their crayons and gave them new sets, washed their pencils and erasers, etc. But it is impossible to wipe down every counting cube, lego, paperback book they lay hands on.

We're in a low socio-economic area. Those kids will always be back at school the next day if they're sent home throwing up, or with a fever. The parents have no where else to put them, as they themselves need to go to work. Once the first kidlet gets it, it's all over for us.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2020, 05:11:19 PM »
Speaking of little kids, yesterday CNN had an article asking "How will kids eat?" if there is a temporary shut down of schools.  It reminded me how weak people can be when they expect government to do All Things.     

You do realize that we started the school lunch program because military recruits were malnourished and than in poor neighborhoods many schools have year round lunch (and breakfast)? I know, they kept me alive growing up.

But I mostly agree that the country should have a solution that is better than walking a mile to get a meal, and now might be the time to implement that solution.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2020, 05:28:45 PM »
I don't have a large concern with kids walking to get a meal. It would be confined to a small geographical area.

I have also seen some districts may deliver meals.

VAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »
I work in a school where almost all of the kids get breakfast and lunch at school. Many are homeless and live in hotels with no kitchens. The only food they get is at school. Parents don't have cars and there are no grocery stores for several miles even if they have $ to buy food/had a place to cook. Our district just shut down schools.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2020, 05:53:42 PM »

It was the same for our son. Once we got rid of the dairy the ear infections stopped. In our case it was anything cow related (even lactose-free), but goat and sheep milk were fine. This kid gets goat cheese and doesn't realize that for most people that's a more luxury, acquired taste.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2020, 06:31:29 PM »
70% of my school's kiddos are on the free or reduced lunch program. Food insecurity is a real problem in our community. They will feel hungry during the two weeks+ at home.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2020, 07:18:20 PM »
Another good video presented in an easy to understand manner. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqw-9yMV0sI

happyuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Software and IT recipes
« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2020, 07:11:20 AM »
This tweet is important:  https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1238317636536004614

It's the same in other countries, too.

Many politicians and sports personalities worldwide, even celebrities like Tom Hanks and his wife — are getting tested and turning out positive.

That must mean something: of course, they're getting tested because they have influence and no-one's going to say 'No' to them if they ask for a test. But that's not the real point I'm making.

The number turning out positive is the thing to look at. This group of publicly high-profile people is but a tiny percentage of the population. Yet look at the numbers of positives.

What this means is that the numbers of actual positives in the whole population, if they were all to be tested, and which isn't happening — is maybe 100x or even 1000x the currently reported numbers. We have to confront the fact that this thing is just everywhere.

I'd predict with high confidence (but some reluctance!) that many more politicians and celebrities will report being infected in the next few weeks. At some point, regular people will start to realize what this means for them.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2020, 07:23:58 AM »
If that's the case then the death rate is much lower than currently being assessed and there's not much to worry about unless you/your immediate family are elderly, in poor health or immunocompromised.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2020, 07:25:45 AM »
This tweet is important:  https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1238317636536004614

It's the same in other countries, too.

Many politicians and sports personalities worldwide, even celebrities like Tom Hanks and his wife — are getting tested and turning out positive.

That must mean something: of course, they're getting tested because they have influence and no-one's going to say 'No' to them if they ask for a test. But that's not the real point I'm making.

The number turning out positive is the thing to look at. This group of publicly high-profile people is but a tiny percentage of the population. Yet look at the numbers of positives.

What this means is that the numbers of actual positives in the whole population, if they were all to be tested, and which isn't happening — is maybe 100x or even 1000x the currently reported numbers. We have to confront the fact that this thing is just everywhere.

I'd predict with high confidence (but some reluctance!) that many more politicians and celebrities will report being infected in the next few weeks. At some point, regular people will start to realize what this means for them.

So lots of people are positive but we don't even know because we aren't testing.  But surely there are not large parts of the population getting very sick and dying without us knowing.  Those that fall gravely ill are being tested.  It seems like the other side of the coin is that 99% or 99.9% (according to your estimates) of those infected are not dying and not showing symptoms bad enough to even warrant testing them, unless they are a high profile celebrity or politician. 

Wouldn't that mean the mortality rate is but a mere fraction of the initial estimate? 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »
So lots of people are positive but we don't even know because we aren't testing.  But surely there are not large parts of the population getting very sick and dying without us knowing.  Those that fall gravely ill are being tested.  It seems like the other side of the coin is that 99% or 99.9% (according to your estimates) of those infected are not dying and not showing symptoms bad enough to even warrant testing them, unless they are a high profile celebrity or politician. 

Wouldn't that mean the mortality rate is but a mere fraction of the initial estimate?

This has a really good explanation of what's likely to be happening in regards to your question.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca?fbclid=IwAR3G2qzT537J_M8GZPh4uUTjgQybdvHdC_h6fQaxKWQIQAQuIAtUW-RthVI

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2020, 07:46:30 AM »
If that's the case then the death rate is much lower than currently being assessed and there's not much to worry about unless you/your immediate family are elderly, in poor health or immunocompromised.

Yep, that population includes my parents and in-laws, all of my and my husband's aunts and uncles, a few cousins, and many friends and neighbors. Not to mention several posters on these forums.

Social distancing, folks. Even if it probably won't kill you, it could be really harmful to the more vulnerable in our society. It isn't irrational to take unusual measures to protect them

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2020, 08:13:24 AM »

Yep, that population includes my parents and in-laws, all of my and my husband's aunts and uncles, a few cousins, and many friends and neighbors. Not to mention several posters on these forums.

Social distancing, folks. Even if it probably won't kill you, it could be really harmful to the more vulnerable in our society. It isn't irrational to take unusual measures to protect them

This disease appears to spread fairly easily.   Let's run some numbers and see what the results might be:

US population is about 330 million.  Let's see what happens if 25% of the public gets the disease at various fatality rates.   If the health system is overwhelmed then the 4% is definitely possible.

Divide those numbers by 5 if you think only 5% of the population will get the disease.   But read the article I posted in my prior post first.    This disease spreads exponentially and we all know how exponential growth works.
Infection %Fatality %Deaths
25%0.5%412,500
25%1%825,000
25%2%1,650,000
25%4%3,300,000

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2020, 08:22:29 AM »
Options I can see:

1. The infection rate really is lower than these fears indicate.
2. The death rate is lower than feared.
3. Infection rate really is high, death rate really is 1-3%, but people are still incubating/spreading and the numbers we're seeing at the hospitals haven't exploded yet.

If it's #3, then the next days/week are going to get progressively bad, and then keep getting worse until the US closes down sufficiently AND enough time has passed that the current crop of infections work through the system (max incubation period + max infectious period), then it'll slowly start to get better but at that point the system is probably fucked.

Based on historical epidemics, and what's happening in Italy and other countries, I'm guessing it's #3.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2020, 08:28:54 AM »
I think it's more likely to be #1 or #2, judging from the stringency of European and Australian response to the coronavirus - banning large get-togethers, shutting down schools etc

It all seems like a very conservative approach to me and one that will have the virus well under control within a few weeks.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2020, 08:30:55 AM »

This disease appears to spread fairly easily.   Let's run some numbers and see what the results might be:

US population is about 330 million.  Let's see what happens if 25% of the public gets the disease at various fatality rates.   If the health system is overwhelmed then the 4% is definitely possible.

Divide those numbers by 5 if you think only 5% of the population will get the disease.   But read the article I posted in my prior post first.    This disease spreads exponentially and we all know how exponential growth works.
25%0.5%412,500
25%1%825,000
25%2%1,650,000
25%4%3,300,000

And the numbers are probably worse than you propose. Experts are saying that 40-70 percent of our population will become infected. And that the number of cases is doubling every 4 days because it spreads so quickly.

Lets say only 3% of your 25% need ICU beds. That's 2.5 million beds needed - in a country that has fewer than a million ICU beds. We need to slow this puppy way down or doctors will have to decide who is worth saving.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2020, 08:36:33 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/12/814522489/singapore-wins-praise-for-its-covid-19-strategy-the-u-s-does-not

This link has a great visual. Unfortunately, the US curve looks a lot like Italy's curve did just a couple weeks ago. Not pretty.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:38:24 AM by Omy »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2020, 08:40:48 AM »
The entire world right now:

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2020, 08:45:17 AM »
Apple just reopened all its stores in China and life is coming back.  This too shall pass.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »
Apple just reopened all its stores in China and life is coming back.  This too shall pass.

If there's any beacon of safety and concern for human welfare in the world it's certainly Apple's actions in China right?

:P

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2020, 08:59:57 AM »

25%0.5%412,500
25%1%825,000
25%2%1,650,000
25%4%3,300,000

And the numbers are probably worse than you propose. Experts are saying that 40-70 percent of our population will become infected. And that the number of cases is doubling every 4 days because it spreads so quickly.

Lets say only 3% of your 25% need ICU beds. That's 2.5 million beds needed - in a country that has fewer than a million ICU beds. We need to slow this puppy way down or doctors will have to decide who is worth saving.

I'm not "proposing" those numbers.  I'm just saving people from having to do all the math.   It's a pain in the but to put data into tabular format and I figured anyone can multiply those numbers by 2 or 3 to handle the 50% and 75% infection rates.

I used the lower of  the three infection percentages to demonstrate that even at those rates the results will be very bad.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2020, 09:23:30 AM »
I wasn't trying to disparage...I agree with you and was only pointing out that 25% is a conservative guess.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »
I think it's more likely to be #1 or #2, judging from the stringency of European and Australian response to the coronavirus - banning large get-togethers, shutting down schools etc

It all seems like a very conservative approach to me and one that will have the virus well under control within a few weeks.

My comment was specific to the US, should have included that. I don't know what's happening in Australia. I hope you've gotten ahead of it and can thus minimize real life impact. The US, right now, is not.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2020, 10:19:34 AM »
The general data suggests that the elderly are mainly at risk, but many people tend to overlook the fact that so many younger Americans are obese and have other health issues.  I think 40% of Americans are considered obese.  How many Americans have asthma?  How many are fighting cancer and other illnesses?  When you add up all those groups of Americans it becomes a huge number that will require medical attention, and likely hospitalization.  We are a unique population.  The resulting numbers may not be so favorable here.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2020, 10:24:33 AM »
Options I can see:

3. Infection rate really is high, death rate really is 1-3%, but people are still incubating/spreading and the numbers we're seeing at the hospitals haven't exploded yet.

If it's #3, then the next days/week are going to get progressively bad, and then keep getting worse until the US closes down sufficiently AND enough time has passed that the current crop of infections work through the system (max incubation period + max infectious period), then it'll slowly start to get better but at that point the system is probably fucked.

Based on historical epidemics, and what's happening in Italy and other countries, I'm guessing it's #3.

I'm betting on #3 too.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2020, 10:27:50 AM »
My money is on #3...literally...ha!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »
Options I can see:

I'm betting on #3 too.

Oh absolutely, people are infected and spreading and are spreading it. That hasn’t hit hospitals yet let overloaded hospitals. But it will.

In the “people are stupid“ column, we are squabbling in my community garden group about holding our annual meeting this coming Sunday. This is a meeting and a food event where we are crowded into a small space sitting shoulder to shoulder,  hunched over food on our laps and breathing on everyone and everything including the carrots going into our mouth. Holy infection rate, batman!

One of the consistently self-centered people in the group has the sadz because he
“HateS to see a virus destroy our sense of community.“ When the physician in our group recommended we cancel and stated she will not attend, he responded we should be sure to practice good hygiene, But hole the event because he wants to.

This is a time for every citizen to take full responsibility for community health.

I see hypocrisy in the extreme with people who want what they want,  and when asked to disrupt a tiny way their little lives for the sake of community health, they refuse. These are the same people who often and loudly malign anti-VAXers. I see this as an intellectual disconnect, but I also understand that the average healthy American still is not getting the potential threat of this virus. My God when Disney closes you would think that would signal hell has frozen over but I guess not.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2020, 11:15:20 AM »
Options I can see:

I'm betting on #3 too.

Oh absolutely, people are infected and spreading and are spreading it. That hasn’t hit hospitals yet let overloaded hospitals. But it will.

In the “people are stupid“ column, we are squabbling in my community garden group about holding our annual meeting this coming Sunday. This is a meeting and a food event where we are crowded into a small space sitting shoulder to shoulder,  hunched over food on our laps and breathing on everyone and everything including the carrots going into our mouth. Holy infection rate, batman!

One of the consistently self-centered people in the group has the sadz because he
“HateS to see a virus destroy our sense of community.“ When the physician in our group recommended we cancel and stated she will not attend, he responded we should be sure to practice good hygiene, But hole the event because he wants to.

This is a time for every citizen to take full responsibility for community health.

I see hypocrisy in the extreme with people who want what they want,  and when asked to disrupt a tiny way their little lives for the sake of community health, they refuse. These are the same people who often and loudly malign anti-VAXers. I see this as an intellectual disconnect, but I also understand that the average healthy American still is not getting the potential threat of this virus. My God when Disney closes you would think that would signal hell has frozen over but I guess not.

I figured the shutdown of pro sports would have done it. Apparently there are some people who refuse to accept reality, no matter what. I expect the Venn diagram of those people with the ones who interrupt me at the supermarket to tell me the flat earth gospel is a single, fully overlapping circle.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2020, 12:14:33 PM »

Alabama made it to the final three, but are now out of the running for the bunker of last resistance. Who will win Survivor: Coronavirus? Idaho, where the only proper response to federal encroachment like "coronavirus tests" is to come out with guns blazing, or West Virginia, where spread of coronavirus is much lower than average due to various blood feuds and especially "tight-knit" families?

(J/K)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!