Author Topic: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?  (Read 92610 times)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?
« Reply #800 on: April 19, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »
No doubt my initial impressions were coloured by the fact that I live in a country with excellent universal healthcare and a responsible government which has mitigated the health impact of the virus.
Ooh... burn.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #801 on: April 19, 2020, 07:28:45 PM »
No doubt my initial impressions were coloured by the fact that I live in a country with excellent universal healthcare and a responsible government which has mitigated the health impact of the virus.
Ooh... burn.

Agreed. That was an excellent cutting down of most countries. Well played Sir. I tip my hat to you.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #802 on: April 19, 2020, 08:11:43 PM »
Yeah I don't think so. This virus has caused a minuscule number of deaths outside China. The death rate for healthy people under 40 is 0.2%. It does not worry me in the slightest.

This comment did not age well at all.
Yeah, that one and the one I mentioned above are like the Obama birthers. No amount of evidence is going to convince them they're not correct. Ultimately they're just...oh, nevermind, it's just not worth the energy...

It still doesn't worry me in the slightest.

I was wrong about it causing a minuscule number of deaths. I guess some countries didn't handle it so well.

Death toll in my country of 25 million is 70 (youngest victim is 40 years old, majority of deaths were either former cancer patients, nursing home residents or were stuck on a stricken cruise liner) so I think we have done well to get through it.

Three more weeks then lockdown ends and the sun continues to shine.

Hopefully other countries get their act together.
Sure, but your country's experience isn't everybody else's experience. Some of us have to play the cards we're dealt and having people from other places tell us our fears are ridiculously unfounded despite factual evidence to the contrary is not helpful in the least. If you're not posting to be helpful, then perhaps you're just posting to hear yourself talk. How is that helpful? <--- Rhetorical question, no need to answer. You are by far not the worst offender on this topic.

Some of us are in countries doing well (NZ) but still horrified at the state of play in other countries. I just can't fathom the "non-believers".

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #803 on: April 20, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
Infection rate maths from Germany, which can do 650,000 tests per week for a population of 83.2 million (2019).  (And Germany has more ICU beds per population than USA, I think?)

Enlightening, sub-titled part of a press conference w Angela Merkel:
https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1250682200640704519

I kept hearing people mention this segment and glad I have finally seen it.  Makes you also realise how crazy the "natural" R of around 3 was....  and what a game changer it must have been when we got vaccines for Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, etc. with even higher R numbers (though I guess - for all of social memory at least - a significant inbuilt immunity from adults who had it and survived it).

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #804 on: April 20, 2020, 11:32:46 AM »
That’s why so many indigenous communities were rolled when the European explorers came. The death toll from the common cold itself was horrific. Smallpox was really bad too. Herd immunity is an amazing thing.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #805 on: April 20, 2020, 12:02:00 PM »
That’s why so many indigenous communities were rolled when the European explorers came. The death toll from the common cold itself was horrific. Smallpox was really bad too. Herd immunity is an amazing thing.

I've seen as high as 90% mortality figures for North American indigenous communities  when Europeans arrived.  Bubonic plague in Europe was about 1/3, but that is an average.  In many places the whole village died.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #806 on: April 20, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »

I've seen as high as 90% mortality figures for North American indigenous communities  when Europeans arrived.  Bubonic plague in Europe was about 1/3, but that is an average.  In many places the whole village died.

To be fair, the Europeans knowingly infected native communities with blankets and trade goods that has been used by people who were sick in many cases.  It wasn't a natural/organic spread of disease.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #807 on: April 20, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »

To be fair, the Europeans knowingly infected native communities with blankets and trade goods that has been used by people who were sick in many cases.  It wasn't a natural/organic spread of disease.

What I have read (sorry various sources and nothing I can lay my hands on) was that though this was the original source, at least in the British areas, the various diseases spread like wildfire.  Most communities had well developed trade routes, so spread was easy.  Think how easily measles spreads, and Europeans have some resistance.   Smallpox spreads really easily, so any exposure to either an infected person or virus-laden materials was dangerous.

Smallpox certainly helped Cortes in Mexico, it was carried by a person
"It took almost two years for smallpox to spread to the mainland and reach Tenochtitlan. Smallpox is thought to have travelled to Mexico via Cuba, carried by a slave called Francisco Eguia on a ship carrying a second Spanish army, led by Pánfilo de Narváez, which had been instructed to capture Cortes and bring him back to Spain. Within four months of Eguia arriving in Cuba, smallpox had spread to Tenochtitlan."  from https://www.pastmedicalhistory.co.uk/smallpox-and-the-conquest-of-mexico/

We seem to have forgotten how devastating an easily spread virus can be.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #808 on: April 20, 2020, 02:53:54 PM »

The initial outbreaks were totally innocent and caused the largest loss of life.

After that, yes, selected groups infected tribes on purpose, but the  overwhelming damage to native American numbers had already been done.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #809 on: April 20, 2020, 06:13:39 PM »
Georgia and South Carolina are opening. Georgia specifically wants to start with gyms and salons...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #810 on: April 20, 2020, 06:26:11 PM »
Georgia and South Carolina are opening. Georgia specifically wants to start with gyms and salons...

Gyms, great, hard breathing is so not going to produce more droplets (/s).  Hair salons are doable with good precautions, but I would want masks on staff and clients, and gloves on staff and clients.  And lots of spacing.  I can think of other stores that would be a lot more suitable for the first easing of restrictions.

Not that I  am advocating any easing right now.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #811 on: April 20, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »

Gyms, great, hard breathing is so not going to produce more droplets (/s).  Hair salons are doable with good precautions, but I would want masks on staff and clients, and gloves on staff and clients.  And lots of spacing.  I can think of other stores that would be a lot more suitable for the first easing of restrictions.

How do you cut someone's hair while they are wearing a mask?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #812 on: April 20, 2020, 06:44:23 PM »
Of course salons. Because the HORROR of having your hair not perfect.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #813 on: April 20, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »

@Sibley Did you see the article about the mayor of Chicago getting her hair done?
I don't follow Chicago politics so no idea if she's a good mayor or not.
First exposure to her was a fabulous video of different ways to say "Stay at Home" to convince different personalities. It was funny and got the point across.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/top-videos-home/lightfoot-shares-hilarious-psa-urging-people-to-stay-home-save-lives/2247788/

Then a few days later there was a thing about her getting her hair done. It seemed to completely undo what she had done with the PSA video.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/im-out-in-the-public-eye-mayor-lightfoot-gets-haircut-amid-social-distancing-orders/

All to say, apparently some people take their hair a lot more seriously than I do.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #814 on: April 20, 2020, 07:30:53 PM »

Beats me.  But I am sure a good stylist could manage.  Maybe they should rethink their priority list?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #815 on: April 20, 2020, 07:33:34 PM »

The initial outbreaks were totally innocent and caused the largest loss of life.

After that, yes, selected groups infected tribes on purpose, but the  overwhelming damage to native American numbers had already been done.

By the time Lewis & Clark were exploring west of the Mississippi in 1804 they found all these vast uninhabited areas because the vast majority of natives had died out decades or centuries before. Same thing when the Pilgrims landed - most of the villages close to the ocean were long abandoned as everyone died and tribes consolidated in a few places. There were numerous failed colonies in North America during the 1500s. Even the most casual contact would have started viruses spreading far and wide and germ theory was still centuries away. Hernando de Soto brought pigs along when he explored the American south around 1540. These were the mobile food supply for the expedition and inevitably some of these escaped, started breeding, and spread all over. They brought along the zoonotic diseases that Europeans had long since developed immunity too and infected natives far beyond where de Soto's expedition actually travelled. Per the CDC "Scientists estimate that more than 6 out of every 10 known infectious diseases in people can be spread from animals, and 3 out of every 4 new or emerging infectious diseases in people come from animals."

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #816 on: April 20, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »

@Sibley Did you see the article about the mayor of Chicago getting her hair done?
I don't follow Chicago politics so no idea if she's a good mayor or not.
First exposure to her was a fabulous video of different ways to say "Stay at Home" to convince different personalities. It was funny and got the point across.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/top-videos-home/lightfoot-shares-hilarious-psa-urging-people-to-stay-home-save-lives/2247788/

Then a few days later there was a thing about her getting her hair done. It seemed to completely undo what she had done with the PSA video.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/im-out-in-the-public-eye-mayor-lightfoot-gets-haircut-amid-social-distancing-orders/

All to say, apparently some people take their hair a lot more seriously than I do.

I heard about that, but don't really watch the news or much tv.

My hair is some variation of interesting lately. Should probably ask a coworker if it shows in the video calls. Not sure that I care though, the team is taking a pretty relaxed approach.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #817 on: April 21, 2020, 02:36:17 AM »
I thought the thing with hairdressers was ridiculous, too. They were left open longer than other places here and belong to the first tranche of places that are allowed to re-open from this week (but they have to put strict hygiene measures in place). The point was made at one of the press conferences that this is important for some people for medical reasons but especially for older people (mostly women) who are just not able or struggle to wash their own hair. These are the people who go to the hairdresser every week and it's not just because of vanity. I haven't been to a hairdresser for years, so I was quite dismissive of the people screaming for them at first, too. But as in so many areas, if you look beyond your own experiences/bubble/privilege, you might find aspects you hadn't thought about before.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #818 on: April 21, 2020, 03:13:40 AM »
Yes, there's the aspect of people who can't wash their own hair due to old age or disability, and I think it's also practically impossible to stop hairdressers from doing their work illegally. A lot of hairdressers don't work from a salon but from their own home or they visit customers in their homes. And most are self-employed and low income so they can't really refuse to work illegally. It may be safer to allow it again under strict conditions rather than risk hairdressers doing their  work in unsafe situations. I think that's true for most of the beauty industry. People aren't going to paint their own nails just because of a virus. They will seek out the people still doing it illegally.

Also, we are mustachians and most of us don't care that much about our appearance, but we are the exceptions. My own mother has several inches of grey roots now and her hairdresser is a close friend. As soon as he is allowed to open again she'll be in that chair, I'm sure about that.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: April 21, 2020, 06:12:10 AM »
The change that I plan to make when I go back to my stylist is that I'll ask her not to talk and I won't talk as much, and I think that will reduce risks.  I have no urgent need to go back but I have bought a gift card from her and will likely buy another gift card soon because I care about her and her family in this challenging situation.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: April 21, 2020, 06:42:51 AM »
My wife only gets her hair done about twice per year, and she conveniently got it done in February. She doesn't obsess over her hair, but she's also not willing to let me cut her hair (I've been cutting my own hair with her assistance for a year or two now).

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #821 on: April 21, 2020, 08:03:25 AM »
I did my son's at the weekend and it was surprisingly OK (mainly that he was willing to sit still for the necessary amount of time as he only just turned 3).  We even had a compliment on it from a neighbour!

I did already have proper hair cutting scissors and comb for doing my daughter's fringe though.  And I don't think I'd risk my skills on an adult unless we got really desperate... suspect my OH will have a go with clippers at some point!  Mine can just get increasingly shaggy until it's long enough to tie back (not long now).

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #822 on: April 21, 2020, 09:19:09 AM »
Do you really think a lot of people will visit the hair stylists? They have been open all the time here in Sweden as well as in Finland and they have very little customers. I read about a stylist that normally was fully booked months in advance and now had three haircuts during a day. Most of the people really don’t want to visit someone that you have a less than a meter from your face and who meet a lot of people.

The same with restaurants. Here they are open and they seem to have about 25 % of the previous business and I think that is largely thanks to the fact that the terrasses for outdoordining were opened earlier and the weather is really nice for the season. People buy takeout to support the restaurants.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:30:24 AM by Plina »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #823 on: April 21, 2020, 09:21:36 AM »
Do you really think a lot of people will visit the hair stylists? They have been open all the time here in Sweden as well as in Finland and they have very little customers. I read about a stylist that normally was fullt booked months in advance and now had three haircuts during a day. Most of the people really don’t want to visit someone that you have a less than a meter from your face and who mets a lot of people.

The same with restaurants. Here they are open and they seem to have about 25 % of the previous business and I think that is largely Thanks to the fact that the terrassen for outdoordining were opened earlier and the weather is really nice for the season. People buy takeout to support the restaurants.

Common sense seems to be a bit more lacking here in the States.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: April 21, 2020, 09:26:12 AM »
Before they open gyms, they need to open all outdoor sports courts, trails, etc.   It's so sad to go by the parks here... they've locked or roped off the courts.  It's a shame that if a couple people want to shoot some hoops or play tennis, it's impossible now.  But I guess the problem is if you allow that, how to you prevent huge groups from playing some closer contact sports.   From studies I've seen covid dies really quick in the sun. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #825 on: April 21, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »
Do you really think a lot of people will visit the hair stylists? They have been open all the time here in Sweden as well as in Finland and they have very little customers. I read about a stylist that normally was fullt booked months in advance and now had three haircuts during a day. Most of the people really don’t want to visit someone that you have a less than a meter from your face and who mets a lot of people.

The same with restaurants. Here they are open and they seem to have about 25 % of the previous business and I think that is largely Thanks to the fact that the terrassen for outdoordining were opened earlier and the weather is really nice for the season. People buy takeout to support the restaurants.

Meanwhile, folks in the hardest hit states are protesting and one of the hard hit states insists on being the first to reopen businesses that involve close contact and heavy breathing.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #826 on: April 23, 2020, 12:22:51 AM »

Meanwhile, folks in the hardest hit states are protesting and one of the hard hit states insists on being the first to reopen businesses that involve close contact and heavy breathing.
I'm expecting a lot of areas in the US to have a bad second or third wave... and an unhappy Christmas season as cases multiply. The various state govts that want to open now will want to stay open for the profitable Thanksgiving and Christmas season even if it gets really bad.

I understand  and agree with the necessity of getting people back working as soon as safely possible. But the perversity and lack of critical thinking demonstrated in some of the decisions being made now is really hard to watch.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #827 on: April 23, 2020, 12:57:33 AM »
So on CBC today (I'm Canadian, thank God) they were talking about bringing the kids back to school (highly premature as a topic of discussion, but of keen interest to anyone with a child).
A woman who I think was a teacher and definitely a Nice White Lady called in to say that it was very important to educate the children that they must be especially careful of the people of color in their classes, because people of color are much worse off when they get COVID, as we can see from the terrible statistics coming out of the States.
She meant well, I'm sure. But it was off in so many ways. She had decided that being brownish meant you were susceptible to COVID and completely ignored the reality that more black people and latina are dying not because they have more melanin, but because as a group they have much higher rates of co-morbidity; obesity, which is a huge risk factor, and other pre-existing conditions. Also much more likely to be poor, marginalized, and blown-off/sent home instead of receiving care.
Also, you there is no 'be more careful' with some people than others. It isn't okay to be less careful with Suzy because she's white and supposedly less likely to die if she gets sick. And what does 'being more careful' look like to children? I'll bet it looks like staying away from those kids. And I bet it feels like shunning.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #828 on: April 23, 2020, 05:55:25 AM »
She had decided that being brownish meant you were susceptible to COVID and completely ignored the reality that more black people and latina are dying not because they have more melanin, but because as a group they have much higher rates of co-morbidity; obesity, which is a huge risk factor, and other pre-existing conditions. Also much more likely to be poor, marginalized, and blown-off/sent home instead of receiving care.

Not to mention being more likely to be in those lower-pay positions that require contact with many people and surfaces all day, with no option to work from home, and without the resources or paid leave to allow them to take unpaid leave.

First highly likely case at my DH's work is of a co-worker's spouse who works security for a delivery company.  He's the guy who deploys the thermometer to read everyone coming into the building. 

I swear, some of these jobs deserve hazard pay.  Yet the people who are putting themselves most at risk every day are often the people making the least.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #829 on: April 23, 2020, 06:59:33 AM »
Ixtap asked:

The customer could hold the mask over his/her mouth with his/her hand, so the loops for the ears are not used. My wife cuts my hair.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #830 on: April 23, 2020, 07:23:09 AM »
So on CBC today (I'm Canadian, thank God) they were talking about bringing the kids back to school (highly premature as a topic of discussion, but of keen interest to anyone with a child).
A woman who I think was a teacher and definitely a Nice White Lady called in to say that it was very important to educate the children that they must be especially careful of the people of color in their classes, because people of color are much worse off when they get COVID, as we can see from the terrible statistics coming out of the States.
She meant well, I'm sure. But it was off in so many ways. She had decided that being brownish meant you were susceptible to COVID and completely ignored the reality that more black people and latina are dying not because they have more melanin, but because as a group they have much higher rates of co-morbidity; obesity, which is a huge risk factor, and other pre-existing conditions. Also much more likely to be poor, marginalized, and blown-off/sent home instead of receiving care.
Also, you there is no 'be more careful' with some people than others. It isn't okay to be less careful with Suzy because she's white and supposedly less likely to die if she gets sick. And what does 'being more careful' look like to children? I'll bet it looks like staying away from those kids. And I bet it feels like shunning.

Socioeconomic factors matter.  Not always, of course, that nursing home (Herron) with so many deaths was an expensive one.  But of course in many ways seniors residences are like being poor, in that residents have such little private space and no ability to truly self isolate.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #831 on: April 23, 2020, 07:34:15 AM »
I'm seeing a lot of people wearing gloves and smoking while driving.  And also people coming out of grocery stores with gloves on, putting their groceries in their car, then proceeding to smoke with their gloves on. 

One of the owners of the company just came into the lab with gloves on, a bandana face mask, and an energy drink.  He proceeds to pull the mask down and drink his drink while standing directly next to some employees.  I guess the mask and gloves are for show only?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #832 on: April 23, 2020, 07:38:43 AM »
Before they open gyms, they need to open all outdoor sports courts, trails, etc.   It's so sad to go by the parks here... they've locked or roped off the courts.  It's a shame that if a couple people want to shoot some hoops or play tennis, it's impossible now.  But I guess the problem is if you allow that, how to you prevent huge groups from playing some closer contact sports.   From studies I've seen covid dies really quick in the sun.
D
By "hoops", do you mean the classic court game of basketball? Where the ball is passed from hand to hand and the players mostly move in a clump up and down the court? Where they run a lot, take deep breaths, and get sweaty? Where there is a lot of close body contact? That's the kind of court you are suggesting we need to re-open?

I see closed recreational facilities and I think it's smart, not sad. We're trying to save lives here. If you want to talk about sad, let's consider all the people who are fucking dying through no fault of their own.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #833 on: April 23, 2020, 07:49:06 AM »
D
By "hoops", do you mean the classic court game of basketball? Where the ball is passed from hand to hand and the players mostly move in a clump up and down the court? Where they run a lot, take deep breaths, and get sweaty? Where there is a lot of close body contact? That's the kind of court you are suggesting we need to re-open?

I see closed recreational facilities and I think it's smart, not sad. We're trying to save lives here. If you want to talk about sad, let's consider all the people who are fucking dying through no fault of their own.

In Minneapolis they’ve taken the hoops down at the basketball courts, precisely because people were ignoring stay at home orders and shooting hoops down at the park like idiots.

Not so in St. Paul. I walked past a school yesterday (coincidentally, the one where Philando Castile worked) where a raucous, high-contact basketball game was happening.

Sigh.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:50:57 AM by Kris »

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #834 on: April 23, 2020, 09:36:42 AM »
Do you really think a lot of people will visit the hair stylists? They have been open all the time here in Sweden as well as in Finland and they have very little customers. I read about a stylist that normally was fully booked months in advance and now had three haircuts during a day. Most of the people really don’t want to visit someone that you have a less than a meter from your face and who meet a lot of people.

The same with restaurants. Here they are open and they seem to have about 25 % of the previous business and I think that is largely thanks to the fact that the terrasses for outdoordining were opened earlier and the weather is really nice for the season. People buy takeout to support the restaurants.
We have a friend that is a hair dresser and since Colorado announced the they are allowed to go back to work her phone has been ringing off the hook, as of yesterday she was booked solid everyday two months out and this is within a few days of the announcement.

I think it is a catastrophic decision, Colorado started out doing a good job, failed at testing and now has decided to open a bunch of stuff up.

The other day the governor was going over the plans and you could tell he was defeated, he has given up and basically going to let it rip admitting that they hope to keep the hospitalizations under our  bed capacity but will adjust if that is not possible.

I am taking personal responsibility for myself and my family, I do not trust the government to protect us they have too many conflicting interests.

Sporting my corona cut, staying at home and staying safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: April 23, 2020, 09:55:41 AM »
Tennessee is opening up May 1; our departmental director emailed the whole department asking for people's opinions about going back to work then, as opposed to continuing to work remotely.

Our work can be done almost entirely remotely. The only time we can't work at home is when doing physical walkthroughs for audits. Even if things were opening up with a reasonable timeline, I see no reason for us not to continue to work from home as long as possible. I said as much in my reply, and our director appears to feel the same way.

Besides the safety portion of it, I'm saving a lot of money and spending a lot more time with family under the current circumstances. I'll delay giving that up as long as possible.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #836 on: April 23, 2020, 11:01:08 AM »

We have a friend that is a hair dresser and since Colorado announced the they are allowed to go back to work her phone has been ringing off the hook, as of yesterday she was booked solid everyday two months out and this is within a few days of the announcement.

I think it is a catastrophic decision, Colorado started out doing a good job, failed at testing and now has decided to open a bunch of stuff up.

The other day the governor was going over the plans and you could tell he was defeated, he has given up and basically going to let it rip admitting that they hope to keep the hospitalizations under our  bed capacity but will adjust if that is not possible.

I am taking personal responsibility for myself and my family, I do not trust the government to protect us they have too many conflicting interests.

Sporting my corona cut, staying at home and staying safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know what to say because it is so crazy! I would not want to work as a hairdresser now because with the amount of people you are meeting in a normal salon you will probably get corona and therefore also spread it to tens or hundreds of people in worst case.

I realised yesterday that I have made my opinion clear about going to my workplace when my colleague told me that she and another colleague would meet a woman we might recruit for lunch. The first lunch was cancelled due to the corona but now they were obviously going to meet. My boss had not even asked me this time because I had obviously made it clear without saying it at least to my boss that I don’t want to get back to the office because of the risk to get it from my colleagues that have a different view of social distancing then me.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #837 on: April 23, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
D

In Minneapolis they’ve taken the hoops down at the basketball courts, precisely because people were ignoring stay at home orders and shooting hoops down at the park like idiots.

Not so in St. Paul. I walked past a school yesterday (coincidentally, the one where Philando Castile worked) where a raucous, high-contact basketball game was happening.

Sigh.
Same here.  They've removed the BB hoops, but apparently people are still playing beach volleyball.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #838 on: April 23, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »
Yesterday, in my entire country we had eight new cases, so we’re down to single digits. Over 12,000 tests were administered yesterday. We’ve had less than 80 deaths altogether.

We’ve had hairdressers open throughout. Masks haven’t been encouraged. No gyms, playgrounds or sporting areas are open. Resteraunts are take away or delivery only. Almost all shops have marked queueing spots outside, someone to regulate the entrants and marked queueing spots inside. We are supposed to stay at home unless we need to go out.

We’re discussing how we’ll ease restrictions. Some states are opening schools in a week (it’s the beginning of second term), some aren’t, and one is opening schools so each pupil gets one day a week face to face, and will gradually extend that. There is talk that travel restrictions may be eased soon (probably in a week, after the school holidays finish). Some beaches that were closed are opening for surfing and swimming only.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #839 on: April 23, 2020, 02:54:21 PM »
Figured with the title of this topic, this would apply.

Has anyone seen the interview with the Mayor of Las Vegas and Anderson Cooper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APoSHB9pQk8

It's.....well, it's something.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #840 on: April 23, 2020, 03:07:41 PM »

Yeah, that woman is certifiable. Good lord.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #841 on: April 23, 2020, 03:16:20 PM »
Yesterday, in my entire country we had eight new cases, so we’re down to single digits. Over 12,000 tests were administered yesterday. We’ve had less than 80 deaths altogether.

Wow, that's awesome!  My state is still reporting 45-50 deaths and almost 1000 new cases per day.  We're not going anywhere anytime soon.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #842 on: April 23, 2020, 03:34:38 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of people wearing gloves and smoking while driving.  And also people coming out of grocery stores with gloves on, putting their groceries in their car, then proceeding to smoke with their gloves on. 

One of the owners of the company just came into the lab with gloves on, a bandana face mask, and an energy drink.  He proceeds to pull the mask down and drink his drink while standing directly next to some employees.  I guess the mask and gloves are for show only?

I was in the grocery store a couple of weeks back and an older woman was coughing away into her gloved hands.    She saw me watching and said, "oops, I'm supposed to cough into my elbow".

At the entrance, store staff were screening people to make sure they hadn't been out of the country.

I think these people have confused the purpose of the mask and gloves with a fashion statement!    Were they wearing designer masks?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #843 on: April 23, 2020, 03:43:59 PM »

We’ve had hairdressers open throughout. Masks haven’t been encouraged. No gyms, playgrounds or sporting areas are open. Resteraunts are take away or delivery only. Almost all shops have marked queueing spots outside, someone to regulate the entrants and marked queueing spots inside. We are supposed to stay at home unless we need to go out.

We’re discussing how we’ll ease restrictions. Some states are opening schools in a week (it’s the beginning of second term), some aren’t, and one is opening schools so each pupil gets one day a week face to face, and will gradually extend that. There is talk that travel restrictions may be eased soon (probably in a week, after the school holidays finish). Some beaches that were closed are opening for surfing and swimming only.

One of my colleagues calls in from Australia to our semi-weekly check ins and said there were no new cases in his area, yet he is still staying in / self-quarantined until the restrictions are eased.  Guess you guys should start your own 'how can people be so incredibly smart' thread.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #844 on: April 23, 2020, 07:07:54 PM »

I was in the grocery store a couple of weeks back and an older woman was coughing away into her gloved hands.    She saw me watching and said, "oops, I'm supposed to cough into my elbow".

At the entrance, store staff were screening people to make sure they hadn't been out of the country.

I think these people have confused the purpose of the mask and gloves with a fashion statement!    Were they wearing designer masks?

I don't understand why you would wear gloves.  Basically, assume that your hands are infected as soon as you leave the house.  Don't touch your face, don't eat, don't do anything until you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.  If you have trouble with this, wear a mask.  It helps you to remember to do all that.  To the best of my understanding, gloves are of limited benefit in preventing transmission.  The virus isn't going to absorb through your hands.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #845 on: April 23, 2020, 07:13:57 PM »

I don't understand why you would wear gloves.  Basically, assume that your hands are infected as soon as you leave the house.  Don't touch your face, don't eat, don't do anything until you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.  If you have trouble with this, wear a mask.  It helps you to remember to do all that.  To the best of my understanding, gloves are of limited benefit in preventing transmission.  The virus isn't going to absorb through your hands.

This. I carry hand sanitizer and lysol wipes to the grocery store. I figure that sanitizing my hands on the way in and out and wiping down my cart, the credit card machine, and anything else I handle while shopping is more effective.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #846 on: April 23, 2020, 07:31:55 PM »

I've been saying this from the beginning(even in the mask thread).
Gloves are effective when a doctor put them on. examine you and then throw them away immediately.
When you walk into the store with gloves on and I walk in with my bare hands(both with masks on), we are equal footing. You are touching everything with your gloves as I am with my bare hands. Your gloves are carrying any virus I might be also carrying with my bare hands. The difference is I sanitize my hands often while I'm in the store shopping while people with gloves on think they are invincible while wearing the same pair for the entire time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:11:37 AM by Jack0Life »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #847 on: April 23, 2020, 10:05:16 PM »
I wear 'em, because DH put a box of gloves in my car and asked me to. Good enough for me. BTW, they are the kind d if gloves he always keeps in the garage (he's a painter), not surgical gloves.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #848 on: April 23, 2020, 10:18:03 PM »

Yeah, that woman is certifiable. Good lord.

Anderson Cooper looked genuinely concerned when that woman ran her mouth. I feel kind of sorry for him. Bless him.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #849 on: April 24, 2020, 06:52:21 AM »
I wear 'em, because DH put a box of gloves in my car and asked me to. Good enough for me. BTW, they are the kind d if gloves he always keeps in the garage (he's a painter), not surgical gloves.

FWIW, a doctor friend of mine is confused/marginally upset by all the people wearing gloves, because she says the virus lives much, much longer on glove material than it does on human hands (at least based on what she knows from medical info that was current last week).