Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 111377 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #1150 on: September 17, 2020, 05:53:25 AM »
Salami freezes fine, and that’s the only lunch meat I like, plus we don’t eat sandwiches once it cools off.

I still can’t get regular tofu. The young woman who assembled my order this week says they haven’t had it in weeks. They order stuff, but what they actually get from the store are house is fairly random.

I saw tofu at the store today for the first time in nearly 6 months aka the whole pandemic. I was blown away.

But the spice aisle was a ghost town and the Graham crackers area was a potemkin village where they had lots of boxes lined up at the front of all the shelf space to make it seem like there were vast quantities, but all the shelf space behind was empty.

Lots of spices here.  Individual spices sometimes go missing but that has always happened.  I had used up my pickling mix so got 2 packages for next year.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1151 on: September 17, 2020, 06:17:56 AM »
Was it on this thread that someone mentioned cinnamon being hard to find? Forget stockpiling toilet paper! I added cinnamon to my shopping list even though I'm not quite out because it would be a sad winter indeed without cinnamon in the house! However, that shopping trip was the first time that I used grocery pick up. I had ordered a fairly large bulk container of cinnamon for around $6 but they substituted a teeny-tiny container for around $6. oops... Perhaps it is better tasting cinnamon? I do tend to cheap-out on things and sometimes it's good for me to spend a little more on better quality. I did find some ancient cinnamon sticks in the back of the cupboard, so if we run out we can grind them up and I think we'll survive the winter. hah!

On that same grocery order I asked for store brand corn meal and they substituted a locally grown and ground cornmeal. mhmm. We might be sticking with that upgrade long term. The resulting corn bread is so delicious!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1152 on: September 17, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »
All you people with pill-taking dogs, get a vet to show you how to put them directly into their mouths.  Followed by the treat.  It can't be any harder than what you're doing now.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1153 on: September 17, 2020, 05:38:12 PM »
All you people with pill-taking dogs, get a vet to show you how to put them directly into their mouths.  Followed by the treat.  It can't be any harder than what you're doing now.

+1.  When disguising it no longer works, a pill popper is magic.  Obvs prefer them taking it on their own, but I got really fast and expert at using the pill popper and it saves a lot of heartache on everyone's behalf.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1154 on: September 17, 2020, 05:41:03 PM »
Speaking of stocking up, I used up almost all my pickling spice this month.  Two fresh packages are now with the canning equipment,  ready for next year.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1155 on: September 18, 2020, 05:23:31 AM »
To everyone that brews vanilla or is looking for vanilla beans etc check out the place below $3 a bean.

https://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=32_135_263&zenid=2605af6c52259d8503717da7f97512ff

That website also has great prices on bulk spices of all sorts

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1156 on: September 18, 2020, 07:40:18 AM »
Anybody find yeast to be in somewhat of a short supply?   I had to check two stores before finding any and the second store did not have ample supply.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1157 on: September 18, 2020, 09:47:34 AM »
I finally got yeast on Amazon. It was definitely more expensive than the big bricks that I usually buy at Sams, but I am now well stocked and it works fine.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1158 on: September 18, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
I was able to order yeast online from Costco, for like $5.99 for 2 pounds. This was a month ago, so could be harder to find now

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1159 on: September 18, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »
I finally got yeast on Amazon. It was definitely more expensive than the big bricks that I usually buy at Sams, but I am now well stocked and it works fine.
I did the same.  Yes, I paid $10 instead of $4, but I found it.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1160 on: September 18, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
I had purchased the pill pockets for the dogs and at first they loved them and I was thrilled. Well, after about two week they hated them. I have put the pills in cheese, wrapped in meat, now it is a pouch of chicken chunks mixed with some cream cheese. That is hit or miss. Some days they love it and other days reject it. I tried canned fish and cream cheese. That was less liked and eventually pretty rejected. Peanut butter, forget it and straight cream cheese forget it. Even when I wrap the pills in roast beef, they reject it too. One dog is worse than the other and wouldn't you know he has big clunky pills to take. I have at times ground them up with a pill grinder, mixed with water and used an oral syringe to shoot it into his mouth. He of course hates that! All this pill drama is making me nuts and I am ready for a straight jacket!

They are not big eaters either and I could never just toss the pills in their food. The soft texture of the cream cheese/chicken is so perfect when they take the pills. So easy to squish the pills into and disguise the pills. We have tried hot dogs, Vienna sausage, Spam...nope, nope, nope!

I feel for you!  And wow, you have to give a lot of pills!  I had a German Shepherd Dog who couldn't be fooled by anything (not that into food), so I learned the "slam dunk" method (my vet's description when I told him what I was doing) where I basically get the pill so far back the dog has no choice but to swallow it.  Shove the pill(s) super far back, close mouth, tilt head slightly back, stroke from chin to throat until swallowed.  I medicate my current GSD the same way; it's a sight to see when you're talking about a big dogs with huge mouths and scary looking teeth, because my entire hand is in the mouth.

However, there's no way the small dog (chi mix) will stand for me shoving a pill down his throat.  He gets mean and snappy when he doesn't like what we're doing.  Luckily he's so food motivated (obsessed is a better description) I can hide the occasional pill he needs, and if he needs pain meds we have them in liquid form.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #1161 on: September 18, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
My grocery store's spices aisle was wiped out this week too, but it looked like it was because there was a sale (buy 3, get one free) - maybe not a long-term problem.  I think.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #1162 on: September 18, 2020, 11:49:55 AM »
Anybody find yeast to be in somewhat of a short supply?   I had to check two stores before finding any and the second store did not have ample supply.

You can culture the yeast yourself in a psuedo-sourdough environment, or more directly in a pure liquid suspension.  Brewers do it all the time!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1163 on: September 18, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »
I had purchased the pill pockets for the dogs and at first they loved them and I was thrilled. Well, after about two week they hated them. I have put the pills in cheese, wrapped in meat, now it is a pouch of chicken chunks mixed with some cream cheese. That is hit or miss. Some days they love it and other days reject it. I tried canned fish and cream cheese. That was less liked and eventually pretty rejected. Peanut butter, forget it and straight cream cheese forget it. Even when I wrap the pills in roast beef, they reject it too. One dog is worse than the other and wouldn't you know he has big clunky pills to take. I have at times ground them up with a pill grinder, mixed with water and used an oral syringe to shoot it into his mouth. He of course hates that! All this pill drama is making me nuts and I am ready for a straight jacket!

They are not big eaters either and I could never just toss the pills in their food. The soft texture of the cream cheese/chicken is so perfect when they take the pills. So easy to squish the pills into and disguise the pills. We have tried hot dogs, Vienna sausage, Spam...nope, nope, nope!

I feel for you!  And wow, you have to give a lot of pills!  I had a German Shepherd Dog who couldn't be fooled by anything (not that into food), so I learned the "slam dunk" method (my vet's description when I told him what I was doing) where I basically get the pill so far back the dog has no choice but to swallow it.  Shove the pill(s) super far back, close mouth, tilt head slightly back, stroke from chin to throat until swallowed.  I medicate my current GSD the same way; it's a sight to see when you're talking about a big dogs with huge mouths and scary looking teeth, because my entire hand is in the mouth.

However, there's no way the small dog (chi mix) will stand for me shoving a pill down his throat.  He gets mean and snappy when he doesn't like what we're doing.  Luckily he's so food motivated (obsessed is a better description) I can hide the occasional pill he needs, and if he needs pain meds we have them in liquid form.

We actually were able to train our beagle to just eat the pills on their own.  No wrapping or special stuff around the pill.  She figured if they go in the mouth, they're treats.  Nothing as easy to train as a highly food motivated dog.  :P

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1164 on: September 18, 2020, 01:42:08 PM »
Was just at Costco and they have cinnamon and cinnamon sticks if anyone is looking for that.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1165 on: September 18, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »
We actually were able to train our beagle to just eat the pills on their own.  No wrapping or special stuff around the pill.  She figured if they go in the mouth, they're treats.  Nothing as easy to train as a highly food motivated dog.  :P

Good idea!  I bet the chi mix would have a pill swallowed before I knew it if I offered it as a "cookie".

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1166 on: September 18, 2020, 04:07:05 PM »

Good idea!  I bet the chi mix would have a pill swallowed before I knew it if I offered it as a "cookie".

We had heartworm preventative pills that were deliberately designed as dog treats.  Missy would do anything for them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1167 on: September 19, 2020, 05:28:29 AM »
I've had good luck finding yeast at restaurant supply stores. One pound bags are about $4 and freeze well.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1168 on: September 19, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
The supply chain FB group in my area is currently all about finding canned pumpkin.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1169 on: September 19, 2020, 06:10:15 PM »
The supply chain FB group in my area is currently all about finding canned pumpkin.

Yikes. Is there a shortage?

mrsnamemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1170 on: September 19, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »

There are regional supply chain Facebook groups?

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #1171 on: September 19, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »
Saw canned beans on loss leader sales, .37 each, only black or kidney though. Limit 12, which is plenty.  We prefer garbanzos.

Barely enough for 2 batches of chili.

Those are huge batches of chili. I use two cans plus 1 large tomato can plus either meat or soy granules plus onion carrot eggplant. Makes a good 12 cups.

In any case, they were including garbanzos northern cannelini. However they were totally out of beans. They were not giving out rain checks. Just said call tomorrow after truck comes in.  I may go back before the sale is over but even then there was a sign to please buy only two.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1172 on: September 19, 2020, 09:19:23 PM »

I have 3 cans in my pantry, and one container of homemade purée in the freezer.  I've refrained from using them for pumpkin muffins just in case there was a run on canned pumpkin.

I did see cans of pumpkin pie filling at Aldi.  I've never used it, but I spotted it while buying a case of apple pie filling for my young adult son, who uses it to make apple crisp.  The didn't have the apple pie filling all summer.  I don't recall if I saw canned pumpkin or not -- I should start paying attention.

Worse case scenario I'll buy butternut squash and pie pumpkins and make my own purée for pies.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1173 on: September 19, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »
Those are huge batches of chili. I use two cans plus 1 large tomato can plus either meat or soy granules plus onion carrot eggplant. Makes a good 12 cups.

I make 5-6 quarts of chili at a time, and my husband and oldest polish it off in about 4 meals.  Youngest and I don't even eat it.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1174 on: September 20, 2020, 09:10:44 AM »
I bought pumpkin at Aldi this summer because I use it for things beside pie and sometimes canned pumpkin is a seasonal item at Aldi. So I don’t know if there’s any real shortage but it’s definitely up there with disinfectant wipes and canning supplies as to what people are looking for locally.

Current uproar - local farm market is charging $16.99 for a box of 12 canning jar lids.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1175 on: September 20, 2020, 05:02:33 PM »
I bought pumpkin at Aldi this summer because I use it for things beside pie and sometimes canned pumpkin is a seasonal item at Aldi. So I don’t know if there’s any real shortage but it’s definitely up there with disinfectant wipes and canning supplies as to what people are looking for locally.

Current uproar - local farm market is charging $16.99 for a box of 12 canning jar lids.

$16.99 is high for 12 jars plus lids.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1176 on: September 20, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »
Yes, it is very high. But they are not available anywhere locally otherwise. Some store has jars without rings or lids, but lids are nowhere to be found.

Somebody had the temerity to call $16.99 “price gouging”, but this market is a Beloved Local Institution (which has always seemed like an expensive fancy food place to *me*, but I’m from Away, so there’s that) and there was very much outrage.

But I certainly wouldn’t be canning anything with $16.99 lids, and am glad that I picked up lids whenever I saw them this summer because I could see it was going to be an issue.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1177 on: September 20, 2020, 06:47:35 PM »
There is a can shortage, and I believe that is what's affecting the availability of canned pumpkin.  Apparently certain sodas are also difficult to find. We don't drink soda unless entertaining (which isn't happening much these days!) so I'm not familiar with specifics, but I understand Dr. Pepper is in short supply, and that the focus is on getting the most popular items to market, so Coke is still being churned out, but cherry vanilla diet whatever would not be a priority. 

It sounds like I won't be making my pumpkin chili this fall as it contains canned beans, canned pumpkin, and cinnamon--all things mentioned as being in short supply!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1178 on: September 20, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
There is a can shortage, and I believe that is what's affecting the availability of canned pumpkin.  Apparently certain sodas are also difficult to find. We don't drink soda unless entertaining (which isn't happening much these days!) so I'm not familiar with specifics, but I understand Dr. Pepper is in short supply, and that the focus is on getting the most popular items to market, so Coke is still being churned out, but cherry vanilla diet whatever would not be a priority. 

It sounds like I won't be making my pumpkin chili this fall as it contains canned beans, canned pumpkin, and cinnamon--all things mentioned as being in short supply!
Of course, as a mustachian, you can grow your own beans and pumpkins, but the cinnamon is another story. Okay, it's a little late in the year to start a garden, so maybe dried beans and real pumpkin? Someone mentioned that one can grind up cinnamon sticks if you have any of those hiding in your pantry.

Just tryna be helpful...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1179 on: September 20, 2020, 07:33:46 PM »
Fun fact . . . pumpkin has no flavour.

Everything you think you like about pumpkin filling is actually just the spices.  You can substitute pretty much any roasted squash goop for pumpkin puree and people will never know the difference as long as you use pumpkin spice.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1180 on: September 20, 2020, 07:54:07 PM »
Canned pumpkin isn't made from pie pumpkins - it's made from a type of squash similar to butternuts - it's even a different species.  I recommend using butternut squash as an easy canned pumpkin substitute. 

You can roast it face down in the oven with a little water, cut it in smaller pieces and microwave face down until soft, or cook in the Instant Pot with a cup and a half of water for 8 minutes on high.  The instant pot method is easiest to peel afterwards.

Once the squash is cooked, you can just mash it up and use as if it were canned pumpkin.  It also freezes quite well if you want to stock up while squash are in season.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1181 on: September 20, 2020, 08:37:14 PM »
Canned pumpkin isn't made from pie pumpkins - it's made from a type of squash similar to butternuts - it's even a different species.  I recommend using butternut squash as an easy canned pumpkin substitute. 

You can roast it face down in the oven with a little water, cut it in smaller pieces and microwave face down until soft, or cook in the Instant Pot with a cup and a half of water for 8 minutes on high.  The instant pot method is easiest to peel afterwards.

Once the squash is cooked, you can just mash it up and use as if it were canned pumpkin.  It also freezes quite well if you want to stock up while squash are in season.

Username checks out. ;)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1182 on: September 21, 2020, 02:33:33 AM »

Is that an aluminum can shortage and linked to Trump's trade wars?

(I am always confused by American references to canning: does it mean aluminum cans or glass jars?)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1183 on: September 21, 2020, 07:42:30 AM »
Even more confusing, pumpkin and other vegetables usually come in *steel* cans.
Beverages come in aluminum cans.
Home canning is done in glass jars.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1184 on: September 21, 2020, 07:53:01 AM »
That was one thing I loved when we lived in Eastern Europe. All fall and winter and well in to spring you could buy a big wedge of pumpkin with the seeds removed. With that first mentally monumental task of cutting into a big pumpkin done for you it was so easy to just slice, dice and use. No need to figure out how to use or preserve the whole huge pumpkin. No need for canned purée when you can easily make your own. I will make my own in the US if I have excess pumpkin or squash. Pumpkin/squash is a staple in our house, but I can make do with sweet potatoes if I must.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1185 on: September 21, 2020, 11:12:03 AM »
Fun fact . . . pumpkin has no flavour.

Everything you think you like about pumpkin filling is actually just the spices.  You can substitute pretty much any roasted squash goop for pumpkin puree and people will never know the difference as long as you use pumpkin spice.

Very true.  I have made said pumpkin chili without the pumpkin when I was living in Japan and couldn't find canned pumpkin.  The pumpkin serves primarily as a thickening agent.  I'm pretty sensitive to textures, and I did notice the difference, but it was just different, not bad, so had I not had a mental version of the chili to compare it to, there would have been nothing upon which to remark.

I know many people use pumpkin to feed to dogs with digestive issues.  Rumor has it that many pet supply stores carry canned pumpkin so if you really need a fix, they seem to not yet be feeling the shortage. 

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1186 on: September 23, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »
I usually just buy a whole little pumpkin, pop the whole thing in the oven, and mash it up to use in pies. Super simple, just poke holes all over before roasting so it doesn't explode, then bake for an hour at 350degF. When it's done it's easy to peel off the skin and remove the seeds and goop from the centre, and then you can roast the seeds too! One small pumpkin makes two pies. I don't think I've ever bought canned pumpkin (or pumpkin substitute).

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1187 on: September 23, 2020, 09:17:04 PM »
That was one thing I loved when we lived in Eastern Europe. All fall and winter and well in to spring you could buy a big wedge of pumpkin with the seeds removed. With that first mentally monumental task of cutting into a big pumpkin done for you it was so easy to just slice, dice and use. No need to figure out how to use or preserve the whole huge pumpkin. No need for canned purée when you can easily make your own. I will make my own in the US if I have excess pumpkin or squash. Pumpkin/squash is a staple in our house, but I can make do with sweet potatoes if I must.

Don't grocery stores in the US sell cut slices of pumpkin?

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/143709/pumpkin-kent-cut

Not that I buy the stuff, I don't like pumpkin :)

Went to the supermarket this morning. It's nice and quiet at Coles at 8:45am. Seems like supply is close to normal, but there were some meat shelves that were empty.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #1188 on: September 23, 2020, 09:39:42 PM »

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/143709/pumpkin-kent-cut

Not that I buy the stuff, I don't like pumpkin :)

Went to the supermarket this morning. It's nice and quiet at Coles at 8:45am. Seems like supply is close to normal, but there were some meat shelves that were empty.
I have only seen full pumpkins never slices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #1189 on: September 23, 2020, 09:44:54 PM »

Never seen it in the Midwest region, whole only.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1190 on: September 23, 2020, 09:51:59 PM »

Never seen it in the Midwest region, whole only.

Can confirm. I can get slices of jackfruit or a quarter-watermelon, but I've never seen slices of pumpkin.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1191 on: September 24, 2020, 06:51:28 AM »
Halloween pumpkins are not cooking pumpkins, they are watery and stringy.  Pie pumpkins are cooking pumpkins.

A sweet winter squash makes good pumpkin pie filling.  The canned pumpkin puree is actually a winter squash.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1192 on: September 24, 2020, 07:43:21 AM »
I stopped using pumpkin all together when I discovered Kabocha squash. It's amazing! ( I mean, as far as squash goes)....it's a little more dense than pumpkin, and sweeter. I think it makes a great pie. I can find it at my local Kroger affiliate type store, and then at the international markets, too for a really good price

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1193 on: September 24, 2020, 08:10:33 AM »
I stopped using pumpkin all together when I discovered Kabocha squash. It's amazing! ( I mean, as far as squash goes)....it's a little more dense than pumpkin, and sweeter. I think it makes a great pie. I can find it at my local Kroger affiliate type store, and then at the international markets, too for a really good price

Kabocha makes the *best* tempura!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1194 on: September 24, 2020, 09:51:21 AM »
I went off to Aldi this morning, and they seemed generally well stocked, but still with limits on a number of things.

They actually were following the disinfecting protocol better this time than when I went several weeks ago, and everyone was properly masked.

And they had tofu!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1195 on: September 24, 2020, 11:16:16 AM »
I went off to Aldi this morning, and they seemed generally well stocked, but still with limits on a number of things.

They actually were following the disinfecting protocol better this time than when I went several weeks ago, and everyone was properly masked.

And they had tofu!

I haven't had issues finding tofu, but I have had issues finding tempeh.

Blue Skies

• Stubble
« Reply #1196 on: September 24, 2020, 11:19:31 AM »
All this talk of pumpkin made me want pumpkin muffins.  So off I went to the grocery store last night (I was due for a trip this week anyway) and low and behold - ZERO cans of pumpkin...   Ugh.  Going to have to look for a pie pumpkin at the farmer's market this weekend I guess.  I have never tried to do it that way, but it doesn't seem that difficult.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1197 on: September 24, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »
I wanted to post an after action report on something I did in the way of grocery shopping. I went ahead and ordered a box of food from Imperfect Foods. For those of you who aren’t familiar what they do is package up and sell blemished, overstocked, and oddly cut fresh fruit, vegetables, and other foods. They send you a box once a week, and you do have some ability to choose what’s in the box. I like the business model as what it does is ensure that surplus and blemished foods get used instead of wasted.

The box arrived a day late, which I think was an issue of the shipping company. Why it takes four days to ship a box from Maryland to Virginia is beyond me. The quality of the meats appear to be pretty good. The meats arrived cool and in good shape. The produce came in a separate box. Basically it looks to me like they just put all the vegetables together in a box and ship it and hope for the best. The produce arrived in OK condition. The ice pack they shipped it with had given up the ghost and the contents were lukewarm. Some of the apples were bruised, and the broccoli greens that I was looking forward to were in weak shape*; they had to be used immediately.  All the other food looked as fresh or more fresh than what you would get at the grocery store. They don’t individually package the fruit and veg, so you have to separate it out and bag it for the fridge. I took advantage of a 35% off coupon that I found, and they offered free shipping for $60 or more.

A fair to good deal, especially with the 35% off. I can use that coupon 2 more times and I think I will.  Total price for roughly 20 lbs of food including meats was $40. I’m also going to give their competition (Misfit Market) a try at some point.

One thing I did not like was the volume of used packaging I’ll be sending to the dump. Oh well.

*very yummy. Like turnip greens without the bitterness.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 04:43:29 PM by Buffaloski Boris »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1198 on: September 24, 2020, 06:38:19 PM »
Oh! I can speak to Misfit, and I can share a discount code if you’re interested.

We got misfit boxes a few times. We live in rural KY so I was a little surprised they served out area. IIRC the box usually shipped late Monday afternoon and arrived at our place Wednesday early afternoon, just about 48 hrs in transit.

With discount codes and ordering the largest size box it worked out to about $2-$2.50 a pound. We got to select things we preferred and didn’t prefer, but we’re never assured of exactly what we’d receive ahead of time. Some things needed used immediately. Some things could wait. For us the best part was having some varieties that are just not available in our small local store and having more variety in winter and avoiding stores mid covid.  The handful of potatoes and sad looking oranges were not exciting but the rainbow colored radishes and fennel and bok choy were lovely!

Misfit delayed our delivery a couple times during the first covid panic. That was understandable, but hard because we were counting on that delivery and had nothing fresh in the house for days, always expecting it to arrive the next day. But, really, I couldn’t be too upset, everyone had a lot going on. Then we  had one box that spent more than a week in transit, but I think that was all the transit’s fault. Amazingly, though the ice was long melted almost everything in that box was still edible. We tossed a mango and some tomatoes but I think we were able to salvage the rest.

The ice packs were  filled with a plant food you could safety dump down the drain or use on your lawn.  There was a lot of cardboard. Some things were packaged, mostly in cardboard or paper wrapping, some compostable bags that started to disintegrate in all the vegetable dampness.

Our conclusion was that it wasn’t really worth it but it was fun to try new things and have some variety. Maybe we’ll try a few in the dead of winter again.  Or maybe we’ll build a little cold frame and grow some greens on our own...

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1199 on: September 24, 2020, 08:02:21 PM »
Kabocha makes the *best* tempura!

Without a doubt!!!  From the time my kids were willing to try tempura they liked the kabocha and nothing else.  I secretly hated having to share.

It also makes the best winter squash soup.