Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 110917 times)

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #850 on: June 23, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »
I went to Trader Joe's this weekend for the first time since March. I missed it so much!  It's my regular store.  It wasn't busy. They were disinfecting the carts.  They have a system where you wait 6' from the cashier until they are ready for you (I learned that!)

I didn't find everything there...I was wanting frozen naan and dolmades...they were out.

I love Trader Joe's!  Our last visit was 2/29, and we're hoping to do a shop soon to stock up on the items we can only buy there (mostly).  Good to know they're still taking precautions!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #851 on: June 23, 2020, 11:14:24 AM »
Has anyone been able to find Clorox Wipes yet?  Metro Detroit.  None yet.
I scored the last box of Kirkland Disenfecting Wipes at Costco last week. My Costco brother, who's a merchandiser, says his warehouse hasn't had them since mid-March. I hope that means the supply is returning.

I went to the fabric store (JoAnn's) yesterday, and it was pretty good in terms of their procedures. Everyone work masks. However, the stock was pretty picked over and there were zero packages of bias tape in any color at all.

I continue to be fascinated by these supply chain glitches.
Cranky, I have made hundreds of feet of bias tape since April. I found a tutorial on YT. The only equipment it calls for are three or four long sewing needles threaded into your ironing board cover, plus an iron. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. If you're interested, I'll dig up the link for you.

Thanks, but I do know how to make it, but I’m kind of lazy about it! I was hoping to restock my supply! Happily, they had plenty of white thread, since I have finally gone through the 10 spools I had in March. LOL

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #852 on: June 23, 2020, 12:39:02 PM »

Found Clorox wipes completely by chance at my local Walgreens (north Chicago suburbs), scored the last container on the shelf. 

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #853 on: June 23, 2020, 01:26:53 PM »

I snagged the last one at my Walmart Neighborhood Market.  First time in months I've seen them!

Sadly at a number of local Publix's cashiers have tested positive.  Publix is my number one place to shop so now I am going to be even more nervous when I do my weekly grocery run.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #854 on: June 23, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »
I went to Trader Joe's this weekend for the first time since March. I missed it so much!  It's my regular store.  It wasn't busy. They were disinfecting the carts.  They have a system where you wait 6' from the cashier until they are ready for you (I learned that!)

I didn't find everything there...I was wanting frozen naan and dolmades...they were out.

I love Trader Joe's!  Our last visit was 2/29, and we're hoping to do a shop soon to stock up on the items we can only buy there (mostly).  Good to know they're still taking precautions!

I also went to Trader Joe’s this weekend, Father’s Day to exact, the employees said that maybe why there wasn’t a line.  I was pleased with the steps they took and also learned about the 6 ft line

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #855 on: June 23, 2020, 06:12:12 PM »
Just spoke to my Costco brother again today. He says they're starting to see Chlorox and Kirkland wipes more frequently. He says they never last the whole day, so shoppers earlier in the day are more likely to score them.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #856 on: June 23, 2020, 06:17:14 PM »
Just spoke to my Costco brother again today. He says they're starting to see Chlorox and Kirkland wipes more frequently. He says they never last the whole day, so shoppers earlier in the day are more likely to score them.

Good to know! Thanks.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #857 on: July 02, 2020, 04:38:49 PM »
Went to Walmart for only the second time since covid started.  We have a very low infection rate in my province, in the order of 1 - 4 cases a week.  It looks like people are being complacent now.  Almost no one was wearing a mask, even the cashiers, lots of people were ignoring the directional markings on the floor (I was trying to get around someone going the wrong way, who asked me "which way are you going" and I said "the way the arrows on the floor say to go."  At least she had the grace to apologize, but then kept going the wrong way.) and hardly anyone waited for someone who was stopped.  The traffic to get there was insane too;clearly no one is staying home anymore.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #858 on: July 02, 2020, 04:56:42 PM »
I went to Meijer (Taylor, MI) early on Monday morning to shop with the senior citizens. Only a couple of people weren’t wearing masks. No issues.

Stocked up on some freezer and pantry goods at Costco in Ann Arbor, MI yesterday. The store was crowded, but everyone was wearing a mask or face shield and people were decent and polite. Warehouse clubs continue to be the sanest shopping experiences (at least on weekdays).

Low stocks of chicken at both stores, but plenty of beef and pork. I was able to get everything on my list except Lysol wipes and Old Bay seasoning (???). I haven’t seen either for months.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #859 on: July 02, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
I went to Meijer (Taylor, MI) early on Monday morning to shop with the senior citizens. Only a couple of people weren’t wearing masks. No issues.

Stocked up on some freezer and pantry goods at Costco in Ann Arbor, MI yesterday. The store was crowded, but everyone was wearing a mask or face shield and people were decent and polite. Warehouse clubs continue to be the sanest shopping experiences (at least on weekdays).

Low stocks of chicken at both stores, but plenty of beef and pork. I was able to get everything on my list except Lysol wipes and Old Bay seasoning (???). I haven’t seen either for months.

I bet I have about 4 cans in my pantry. I'm happy to send you some.

GillyMack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #860 on: July 03, 2020, 07:18:34 PM »
Thought I’d say that I have really enjoyed this thread because I have put a lot of mental effort into doing the shopping for the household.  And viewing it as a problem to be attacked with minimum-exposure. Here, I’ve found explanations of nutty supply chain lacks and heads up of shortages.

This has been a good week or so for shopping.  After months of limiting myself to the neighborhood grocery,  last week, I bravely ventured across town to Whole Food to treat us to the flood of glorious peaches that are in season.  We are not in peach growing land and historically, the little local stores only stock hard rocks that never ripen.  So, with my peaches in the cart, I checked out the staples aisle. Was surprised to see big holes for pasta (which my neighborhood store has had for weeks).  But then triumphantly, I snatched a lone jar of active dry yeast.  DH is having fun learning to do sour dough baking, but it’s nice to have yeast in the house again to vary the baking.  That was my first spotting of yeast since COVID started.

And then today, back at the neighborhood grocery for this week’s run, the paper aisle was full.  Some strange brands, but full.  And for the first time since March, they had my long-missing, if unmoustachian,  paper napkins.  Will probably mostly keep using cloth, but it’s nice to have them back in the cabinet for greasy meals and picnics.

Customers at both stores were polite and masked.

So, maybe the supply chains have caught up?  But do you think they’ll sustain if times get crazy again?  Alas, our cases are heading up in our region again.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #861 on: July 03, 2020, 07:34:56 PM »
The thing that's pissing me off the most about grocery shopping is how much more we've been spending. Everything's back in stock now, but I'm just not comfortable with doing a lot of the stuff we used to do that kept our spending really low - particularly going to multiple stores, taking public transit, and generally doing stuff that involves a lot of exposure to other people and areas. Year to date we've spent about $500 more than at this time in 2019 ($2,018 versus $1,539). And there's really no end in sight - I don't see myself resuming any old habits for a loooong time.

The money we're saving on travel more than makes up for it, obviously, but it's still irritating.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #862 on: July 03, 2020, 08:44:00 PM »
Shoppers reached 100% mask usage tonight. My grocery store won't let anyone in without a mask now.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #863 on: July 04, 2020, 07:13:08 AM »
We did a grocery pickup yesterday and almost everyone we saw going in/out of the store was masked, which was a noticeable improvement.

OTOH, the place was packed and there was a ton of traffic and I saw several houses setting up for big parties.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #864 on: July 04, 2020, 08:38:38 AM »
I signed us up for Hungry Harvest (surplus/imperfect produce) delivery again. With a weekly mini-harvest (fruits and vegetable) and our CSA share, I can reduce grocery trips to once every 2 weeks at most. We’re very well stocked from a round of shopping earlier this week, so I might be able to go 3 weeks without visiting a grocery store..

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #865 on: July 04, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »
Ran with my running group today.  (We run outside following the governors guidelines). Apparently the Meijer’s by my house (near the Grand Rapids airport) is well stocked and has a higher than surrounding stores mask compliance.  It is the only Mejier’s I go to so didn’t realize there was a difference although my Mom has not been please at her stores on the West side.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #866 on: July 05, 2020, 06:04:58 PM »
We're tightening things back up again (our family's choice).  On our last Aldi trip they weren't sanitizing carts, didn't have sanitizing wipes for us to do it ourselves, didn't offer hand sanitizer, and didn't care about one way aisles or really any social distancing at all.

We'll do a once a month Costco shopping trip (later in the day is less busy) and maybe a mid-month perishables order for curbside pick up.  By fall I hope to be restocked with 6-12 months of pantry goods and fully prepared for at least 6 months of not needing anything other than perishables via delivery or curbside every few weeks.

I much prefer once a month shopping now, anyway.  I find I can buy ultra-pasteurized milk for the second half of the month, although I hope to have freezer space by fall to just freeze enough regular milk.  Butter, cheese, and eggs store well.  We pretty much only eat meat/fish we've purchased ahead and frozen.  I bake our regular bread.  We eat the really perishable produce the first week, potatoes within the first two weeks (too warm in house to keep longer, but I may be able to stretch it to the full month in the cooler months), cabbages and other sturdy produce in weeks 2-3, and have found carrots last all month if we peel and trim them and store them with a paper towel.  The first week I chop and cook mirepoix (onion, carrots, celery) for soups, sautéed onions by themselves, and peppers and onions, and freeze it all for use later in the month.  We fill in the last week of the month with frozen produce (fruit and veggies), along with canned/jarred fruits.  All the flours, grains, and dry beans are stocked up every 6-12 months.  I'm almost staying really well stocked on canned tomato products, pasta, canned beans, nuts, dried fruit, oils, vinegars, yeast, sugars, baking powder, etc.  I maintain a sourdough starter, as well.  I do think right now, if we were ordered to stay in our house and not leave for anything, I could feed my family for many months, although we'd run out of most produce.

For the first time ever, I'm stocking 6-12 months of OTC medications, vitamins and supplements, toiletries, and cleaning items.  I never bothered to before, in part because our house isn't large.  But with Covid, I'm even more motivated to declutter so I can make room for these items.  It's been a lesson in creativity to store all of the extras (and the extra food).

Dog food is the only problem -- my big dog is fussy about food that's been stored too long, so there's no way to store 6 months worth of kibble.  He eats Nature's Domain salmon from Costco.  I may need to transition him to something I can order from Chewy, since Costco had shortages of dog food this past spring.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #867 on: July 05, 2020, 09:55:27 PM »
There were no canning jar lids, and those seem to be scares and very expensive on Amazon, too.

Oddly, I’ve been buying extra boxes of canning jar lids for a couple of years. Anytime I’ve gone down that aisle I’ve grabbed a box or two of each type. I won’t run out for three or more years. It’s interesting to see what items run out/get too expensive to buy during this pandemic.

After this is all over, we may all have some weird buying patterns. (Though I’d argue that my buying lots of canning jar lids was odd, despite my canning habit!)

Wow, I had no idea!  I have stacks of canning jar lids after running out one too many times and vowing to always have a stock on hand.  I might have overdone it though.  Maybe I'm sitting on a gold mine. ;)

I've shifted a fair bit of shopping to the open-air fruit stand a couple miles from our house.  They sell milk, eggs, butter and some other random items like honey and hot sauce, in addition to produce.  I feel much better about going there weekly than to the larger stores, and this allows me to space out my bigger shops more.  I'll be sad when they close down in the fall.  We're getting lots of veggies out of the garden right now too, so in theory I can stretch time between trips even more the next few months.

Now that cases have surged again, and are likely to surge even more post 4th of July, I'm thinking I might start another round of restocking on staples this week.  I try to go on a weekday morning and shop strategically, so I'm minimizing my time in each store, and the number of stores I go to. 

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #868 on: July 05, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »
By fall I hope to be restocked with 6-12 months of pantry goods and fully prepared for at least 6 months of not needing anything other than perishables via delivery or curbside every few weeks.

I started buying a little extra in the last few weeks of items that will last and have a similar plan to have 6+ months of basics on hand.

My thought was with the amount of cases going up and the increase in positive testing rates in many areas I figured it was time to start building up in case we see disruptions in the supply chain again and extend our period between trips as long as possible (currently about once a month)

Did a Costco order last week, the delivery driver thought they were going to a business as their car was stacked floor to ceiling front to back.

While I feel like we were really prepared last go around there were things that I did not think to get last time such as canned tomatoes. I use them in a bunch of batch cooking and we just about wiped out our supply of chilli and tortilla soup and it was time to replenish the freezer with some new batches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #869 on: July 06, 2020, 06:22:53 AM »
What are people's thoughts on Meijer? Sounds like a couple are going to be opening in my area and I've never been to one. Anything special that'd be worth going if it's out of the way compared to our normal stores?

I would argue we're fairly saturated with multiple grocery chains already so unless they have some particularly distinguishing features I don't know why they'd want to move into this territory, but I assume they've done their research ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #870 on: July 06, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »
The thing that's pissing me off the most about grocery shopping is how much more we've been spending. Everything's back in stock now, but I'm just not comfortable with doing a lot of the stuff we used to do that kept our spending really low - particularly going to multiple stores, taking public transit, and generally doing stuff that involves a lot of exposure to other people and areas. Year to date we've spent about $500 more than at this time in 2019 ($2,018 versus $1,539). And there's really no end in sight - I don't see myself resuming any old habits for a loooong time.

The money we're saving on travel more than makes up for it, obviously, but it's still irritating.
@Zikoris I totally agree.

We are at $1118 more this year than this time last year (thanks for making me look it up!)  I don't see it changing at all.  The stores I used to shop at (often multiple times per week) - just not willing to do that anymore.  So, a lot more Costco and Vons, and a lot less 99 cent store and sprouts.  This means I'm also spending more on bulk goods like beans because they are really cheap at sprouts.

Now I end up adding things to our produce delivery instead of shopping for it.  So that $14 jar of honey is now $18.  Etc.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #871 on: July 06, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
There were no canning jar lids, and those seem to be scares and very expensive on Amazon, too.

Oddly, I’ve been buying extra boxes of canning jar lids for a couple of years. Anytime I’ve gone down that aisle I’ve grabbed a box or two of each type. I won’t run out for three or more years. It’s interesting to see what items run out/get too expensive to buy during this pandemic.

After this is all over, we may all have some weird buying patterns. (Though I’d argue that my buying lots of canning jar lids was odd, despite my canning habit!)

Wow, I had no idea!  I have stacks of canning jar lids after running out one too many times and vowing to always have a stock on hand.  I might have overdone it though.  Maybe I'm sitting on a gold mine. ;)

I've shifted a fair bit of shopping to the open-air fruit stand a couple miles from our house.  They sell milk, eggs, butter and some other random items like honey and hot sauce, in addition to produce.  I feel much better about going there weekly than to the larger stores, and this allows me to space out my bigger shops more.  I'll be sad when they close down in the fall.  We're getting lots of veggies out of the garden right now too, so in theory I can stretch time between trips even more the next few months.

Now that cases have surged again, and are likely to surge even more post 4th of July, I'm thinking I might start another round of restocking on staples this week.  I try to go on a weekday morning and shop strategically, so I'm minimizing my time in each store, and the number of stores I go to.
So it's not just me!

We still can't find wipes or canning lids. I ended up buying on Amazon (expensive).  So far, I've only made freezer jam (small batch) because I can use existing used lids. 

The other thing we haven't been able to find on the 3 last trips is gluten free pasta.  We are down to our last box.  Maybe spouse can find some at Target today (he is going there for other things).  Wouldn't normally shop again (that will be the 4th stop in 4 days, usually we stop at one place every 10 days).  Otherwise, we'll just eat more rice.  My teenager hates rice, it gets stuck in his braces, but those puppies are coming off tomorrow I hope!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #872 on: July 06, 2020, 11:09:49 AM »

We are at $1118 more this year than this time last year (thanks for making me look it up!)  I don't see it changing at all.  The stores I used to shop at (often multiple times per week) - just not willing to do that anymore.  So, a lot more Costco and Vons, and a lot less 99 cent store and sprouts.  This means I'm also spending more on bulk goods like beans because they are really cheap at sprouts.

Now I end up adding things to our produce delivery instead of shopping for it.  So that $14 jar of honey is now $18.  Etc.

How are you all disentangling your increased YTD costs on groceries from other factors such as decreased travel and eating out (if applicable)?  I haven't yet looked at how much we are spending on groceries this YTD over last, and it would be easy enough to do so, but since we have hardly traveled this year (and at this point last year, I had done...maybe 6 weeks of travel?), which would have a huge impact on my grocery budget. As Zikoris mentioned, the money saved on travel more than makes up for increased grocery costs, but aside from a few anecdotal things (i.e. my store has been out of generic brand Grape Nuts, so I have to keep buying name brand which costs like $2.50 more per box!!), I wouldn't be able to tell how much my overall increased spending on groceries is due to sheer volume of food vs. higher cost of food.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #873 on: July 06, 2020, 11:12:22 AM »
What are people's thoughts on Meijer? Sounds like a couple are going to be opening in my area and I've never been to one. Anything special that'd be worth going if it's out of the way compared to our normal stores?

I would argue we're fairly saturated with multiple grocery chains already so unless they have some particularly distinguishing features I don't know why they'd want to move into this territory, but I assume they've done their research ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good store - lots of stuff,  not Fleet Farm but they do sell groceries.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #874 on: July 06, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »
My son in law says he bought many boxes of canning jar lids for me at Woodman’s (In Wisconsin.) We are driving to Wisconsin next weekend, so we’ve stopped going into the store again but I’ll probably go to Woodmans once while I’m there, because it’s my favorite.  Made raspberry jam this weekend, so that I can take some up to the kids.

Meijers is a Michigan chain and they’ve been expanding - we’re getting one here, too. When we lived in Michigan they were called Meijers Thrifty Acres which I personally think is a better name. ;-) It’s sort of between WalMart and Target in terms of fanciness, I’d say.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #875 on: July 06, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »

How are you all disentangling your increased YTD costs on groceries from other factors such as decreased travel and eating out (if applicable)?  I haven't yet looked at how much we are spending on groceries this YTD over last, and it would be easy enough to do so, but since we have hardly traveled this year (and at this point last year, I had done...maybe 6 weeks of travel?), which would have a huge impact on my grocery budget. As Zikoris mentioned, the money saved on travel more than makes up for increased grocery costs, but aside from a few anecdotal things (i.e. my store has been out of generic brand Grape Nuts, so I have to keep buying name brand which costs like $2.50 more per box!!), I wouldn't be able to tell how much my overall increased spending on groceries is due to sheer volume of food vs. higher cost of food.

Many of us don't travel or eat out at all under normal conditions, so the increased cost of groceries has more of an impact and is a lot easier to observe.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #876 on: July 06, 2020, 11:17:19 AM »
My son in law says he bought many boxes of canning jar lids for me at Woodman’s (In Wisconsin.) We are driving to Wisconsin next weekend, so we’ve stopped going into the store again but I’ll probably go to Woodmans once while I’m there, because it’s my favorite.  Made raspberry jam this weekend, so that I can take some up to the kids.

Meijers is a Michigan chain and they’ve been expanding - we’re getting one here, too. When we lived in Michigan they were called Meijers Thrifty Acres which I personally think is a better name. ;-) It’s sort of between WalMart and Target in terms of fanciness, I’d say.

Thanks! I'm in Madison so Woodman's is my current go-to (pre-COVID we also went to Aldi regularly but since we're trying to minimize trips we haven't been going there as much), and unless Meijer is way better I'll probably still go mostly to Woodman's/Aldi.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #877 on: July 06, 2020, 11:49:19 AM »

Definitely the lack of travel is increasing our grocery costs slightly (we would have been out of town for several weeks by now normally). Eating out isn't a factor for us since we never do anyways.

I will say, my categorization overall has kind of gone to shit. We used to do a way better job of splitting things out and doing multiple transactions to keep the categories separate, but I don't do that at all anymore. I categorize the transaction as whatever the bulk of it is, so some stuff is getting lumped in where it doesn't belong. Like some cat food is ending up in personal care because I happened to buy a bunch of shampoo and soap at the same time. The overall total is still correct, but my categories are getting royally fucked this year.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #878 on: July 06, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »

Thanks! I'm in Madison so Woodman's is my current go-to (pre-COVID we also went to Aldi regularly but since we're trying to minimize trips we haven't been going there as much), and unless Meijer is way better I'll probably still go mostly to Woodman's/Aldi.

I shop at Meijer only for things I can't get at Aldi or in the CSA share. But it is super handy to be able to buy tampons, greeting cards, yarn, tequila, and yoga pants in one trip.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #879 on: July 06, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »

Definitely the lack of travel is increasing our grocery costs slightly (we would have been out of town for several weeks by now normally). Eating out isn't a factor for us since we never do anyways.

I will say, my categorization overall has kind of gone to shit. We used to do a way better job of splitting things out and doing multiple transactions to keep the categories separate, but I don't do that at all anymore. I categorize the transaction as whatever the bulk of it is, so some stuff is getting lumped in where it doesn't belong. Like some cat food is ending up in personal care because I happened to buy a bunch of shampoo and soap at the same time. The overall total is still correct, but my categories are getting royally fucked this year.
The categorization has always niggled at me as well.  When we travel, I basically put everything in the travel category, even though we'd spend some of that same money even if we weren't traveling. So the categories are a disaster in years like this where things are not consistent.  After being FIREd for almost 2 years, I can already tell, though, that my categories are going to be a disaster regularly - pandemic or no.  Life is just too variable, even for the basics like groceries.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #880 on: July 06, 2020, 12:09:20 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I figure someone in this posse will know...

I found Pomi Double Concentrate Tomato Paste in 4.6 oz. tubes for $1 each. I bought 24. The tubes are metal, and the expiration date is the end of Nov. 2020. I'm wondering if I can freeze the tubes if I don't use them up before they go bad. I'm guessing I have about a one-year leeway, but if freezing will keep them longer, I'd like to give it a shot. I realize I can just try it with one, but if someone already has experience/knowledge, I'd appreciate knowing for sure. Thanks!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #881 on: July 06, 2020, 12:40:19 PM »

I shop at Meijer only for things I can't get at Aldi or in the CSA share. But it is super handy to be able to buy tampons, greeting cards, yarn, tequila, and yoga pants in one trip.

Yes! Meijer’s is for when you want groceries AND general household stuff. They were one of the first stores I ever saw, in the 70s, that combined general merchandise and groceries.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #882 on: July 06, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »

I guess I'm not really disentangling it.

Groceries = spending more. (food costs more, eating more, kids not getting free school lunch)
Dining out = spending more (we are getting takeout weekly, used to be 1-2x a month)
Water bill = OMG it's so high right now (I'm sure gas and electricity too).
Gasoline for cars= obv way down
Tea/ coffee bill = higher cuz no free work coffee/tea
Travel costs = I guess these are down.  We got a refund for our one trip, except we got credit for the airline miles.  So, these are down only about $2000 for the year so far.  Typically we would have gone somewhere for spring break too, but not this year - because we had to work.
Summer camp = these are down.  I still need to put in my dependent care FSA though for the beginning of the year.
Running shoe costs = Uhhh...I may have been using running as a coping mechanism.

Gym costs = we didn't cancel, we aren't going.  Same with cleaning lady. So: same.

Also, I track groceries, but I stopped tracking things like personal care items, and I've never tracked pet costs (we just adopted a dog in November).  I mean, I don't care.  I buy shampoo and deodorant when I need it, dog food when we run out. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:47:09 PM by mm1970 »

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #883 on: July 06, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »

I found Pomi Double Concentrate Tomato Paste in 4.6 oz. tubes for $1 each. I bought 24. The tubes are metal, and the expiration date is the end of Nov. 2020. I'm wondering if I can freeze the tubes if I don't use them up before they go bad. I'm guessing I have about a one-year leeway, but if freezing will keep them longer, I'd like to give it a shot. I realize I can just try it with one, but if someone already has experience/knowledge, I'd appreciate knowing for sure. Thanks!

My only worry with freezing them would be the tube exploding. Maybe try to freeze one and see how it works? You could also always squeeze the stuff out and then freeze that (maybe in ice cube trays that you then put into some freezer-proof container). But you also likely have way longer than a year after expiration to use it up. Side note: HELL OF A DEAL! I'd have bought lots too!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #884 on: July 06, 2020, 01:07:32 PM »
I don't track shit anymore, way too much time trying to figure out what we are spending and where.  I did it for a couple years, and we cut down our spending where we could, now we just do macro level.   If I make $X, and we invest $Y in 401k, IRA, and brokerage accounts, then we must be spending $(X-Y).  So I have no idea how much more we are spending on groceries this year.

The price of beef seemed to skyrocket, but it's also on insane sales now.  The price of regular ground beef went up to $5-7/lb it seemed like, but was selling for a sale price of around $2/lb.  No idea what's up with that.  Maybe they were expecting massive shortages and hiked up the price in anticipation...but now are selling it off at ridiculous prices.  Either way tonight is burger night.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #885 on: July 06, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »

Yes! Meijer’s is for when you want groceries AND general household stuff. They were one of the first stores I ever saw, in the 70s, that combined general merchandise and groceries.

Ahh, good to know! I had assumed it was just a grocery store but it sounds like it's more akin to a Walmart or SuperTarget. Thanks for clarifying!

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #886 on: July 06, 2020, 02:57:27 PM »
I don't track shit anymore, way too much time trying to figure out what we are spending and where.  I did it for a couple years, and we cut down our spending where we could, now we just do macro level.   If I make $X, and we invest $Y in 401k, IRA, and brokerage accounts, then we must be spending $(X-Y).  So I have no idea how much more we are spending on groceries this year.

This is what I want to do.  I did just start us on a new budget file, with far fewer categories, but even this feels like too much work.  Also, I know we're going to spend what we spend and budget numbers won't mean anything.  At this point, with the mortgage paid off and frugality the norm, I'd much rather just transfer each month's living expenses to the checking account each month and call it good.

Specific to groceries, I'm not counting this year at all.  When the pandemic hit we were unfortunately low on a lot of our regular stock up items, like flour, rice, beans, ground beef, sugar, etc. and we had almost zero canned and jarred goods.  Now my pantry looks like a grocery store and there are food storage buckets stashed all over the house holding grains, beans, and flour.  I don't expect our spending to even out until sometime next year.  We've spent almost as much on food this year (January - June) as we did in all of 2019.  Now, part of that is because we aren't eating out at all, and some is from increased food prices.  But most of it is stocking up because of the pandemic.  By the end of September my goal is to have 12 months of food stored, short of milk, butter, eggs, and fresh produce.  2021 should shake out to be a more normal year, as I'll only restock rather than increasing the amount of food stocked.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #887 on: July 06, 2020, 05:02:13 PM »

My only worry with freezing them would be the tube exploding. Maybe try to freeze one and see how it works? You could also always squeeze the stuff out and then freeze that (maybe in ice cube trays that you then put into some freezer-proof container). But you also likely have way longer than a year after expiration to use it up. Side note: HELL OF A DEAL! I'd have bought lots too!

I buy tomato paste in small cans and when I have some left from a recipe I just spoon some onto foil pieces on a cookie sheet then freeze.  Once frozen solid, just squish up the foil around them and put in a baggie or plastic container and throw back in the freezer.  Keeps for a long time.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #888 on: July 06, 2020, 06:31:49 PM »
On Meijer, well there is the fact I could ride my bike to their headquarters growing up so I’m kind of bias.  This being the MMM forum, Fred liked bike paths, he has built probably 300-400 miles of paths in Mi, and he use to show up to new stores in a minivan before he died even when it was store number 100.

On groceries, overall the best produce selection consistent across all stores in any chain I’ve seen, they adjust well to consumer demands, for example they have a good vegan selection now and carry a ton of craft beers.  In general all the advantages of a super Walmart but the stores are much nicer as a rule.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #889 on: July 06, 2020, 11:31:21 PM »
I went to the local Fred Meyer (Kroger) a little after 8 pm.  I was really surprised that about 75% of the customers were wearing masks, as well as all of the employees. 

I'm expecting a big surge in cases post-4th of July, so hopefully I remembered everything on tonight's shop and can hunker down for a while.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #890 on: July 07, 2020, 07:33:22 AM »
I think Meijers has a union so this may help the employees to be treated better.  I realize this consideration rarely enters the picture for most, but it makes me feel better when I go there.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #891 on: July 07, 2020, 08:08:40 AM »
I think Meijers has a union so this may help the employees to be treated better.  I realize this consideration rarely enters the picture for most, but it makes me feel better when I go there.

Yes, Meijer workers are unionized. That and the fact that it's headquartered in my state make it an easy decision over Walmart or Target.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #892 on: July 07, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »

Yes, Meijer workers are unionized. That and the fact that it's headquartered in my state make it an easy decision over Walmart or Target.

Just don't confuse it with Fred Meyers - different store owned by Krogers.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #893 on: July 07, 2020, 04:29:48 PM »

Just don't confuse it with Fred Meyers - different store owned by Krogers.

No Fred Meyer stores here in Michigan!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #894 on: July 08, 2020, 07:22:47 AM »
Meijer stores are in Michigan. 

Fred Meyer stores are in the beautiful Pacific NorthWest.

It's almost as confusing as Fleet Farm Stores and Farm and Fleet stores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meijer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Meyer

I think you wuz funning with me.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #895 on: July 08, 2020, 05:17:06 PM »
While not groceries, apparently the bike shortage has turned into a kayak shortage in Michigan.  I’m glad I got the one I wanted back in early June.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #896 on: July 08, 2020, 05:31:29 PM »
While not groceries, apparently the bike shortage has turned into a kayak shortage in Michigan.  I’m glad I got the one I wanted back in early June.

Oof. And Ann Arbor just shut down kayak rentals at Argo and Gallup parks because of COVID-19. Guess I'm definitely not kayaking this summer.

So glad I bought a used bike on Craigslist to take to Mackinac Island last fall. I hadn't had one in years, and I wouldn't be able to get one at all this summer.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #897 on: July 08, 2020, 09:47:06 PM »
Bikes, any bike parts, kayaks, standup paddle boards, fishing equipment and camping supplies are all selling out and on back order in my part of Colorado.

My uncle actually went to 5 or 6 different stores looking for fishing line. My friends wife wants to buy a bike but all of the entry level and mid level are sold out.

I suppose if you have some extra outdoor gear clogging up the closet or garage now is the time to flip it for some $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #898 on: July 08, 2020, 11:17:43 PM »
I suppose if you have some extra outdoor gear clogging up the closet or garage now is the time to flip it for some $$$

In the same vein, I'm willing to bet that around this time next year (assuming things are mostly back to normal-ish by then) there'll be a lot of very-gently-used camping/outdoor gear on Craigslist, once people realize that they have no interest in using any of it again after lockdowns are lifted.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #899 on: July 09, 2020, 08:09:41 AM »
On the bike front, listed my son's old bike on FB yesterday. Received 1200 views in four hours, and had 36+ people reach out to buy it. I could have charged a bunch more. I've never seen demand like that for anything before.

We have another old bike in our garage. Time to repair the flats & get it posted.

On the grocery store front, we're basically where a previous poster is at:
-So much more on groceries (both price, availability, lack of shopping around, & we used  to get free meals at work)
-Increase in coffee/tea (ditto above)
-Increase in power/water (again, no work or school)
-No gym costs
-Reduced travel costs
-Reduced summer camp costs

We've also been motivated to do a bunch of home projects that we've wanted to do, but never tackled since we're always working/traveling. Those outweigh all potential savings & then some.