Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 110925 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #750 on: May 26, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »
Meijer was out of meijer brand pie crusts but they had Pillsbury for $3.29.  they also had ground beef, limit 2 packages.

On the topic of grocery prices, in Michigan we pay:
Milk is $2.50/gal
Butter is around $2.50/lb
Boneless chicken breast is $2-3/lb depending where you buy it
Ground beef is around $3/lb now, but seems to be increasing lately
Pork chops are around $1.50-2/lb

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #751 on: May 26, 2020, 07:06:52 PM »
Meijer was out of meijer brand pie crusts but they had Pillsbury for $3.29.  they also had ground beef, limit 2 packages.

Milk is $2.50/gal

Glad you got your pie crusts.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #752 on: May 26, 2020, 07:11:57 PM »
I'm trying a produce delivery service this week (Imperfect) to see if it allows us to stretch out our standard shopping trips a bit further.

Unfortunately, my kids are eating Costco sized tubs of blueberries for lunch, so that's what we are running out of most frequently. The good news is that they turn to the less fragile fruit after the blueberries have been demolished.

The only thing I can't find still is cleaning wipes. Everything else is typically restocked, although not available on every shopping trip.

Not as good, but I bought a huge box of baby wipes from Costco (online) for $20. They work, tho not as well as regular
 wipes.

The big issue is that baby wipes are not disinfectant (for good reason) so really are not a replacement for Lysol wipes.  Kirkland baby wipes are awesome though, I have no babies but have a pack of baby wipes in pretty much every room of my house, the car and a ziplock bag full in my purse.  I have now added a ziplock bag of Lysol wipes to my purse as well. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #753 on: May 26, 2020, 08:57:22 PM »
I'm trying a produce delivery service this week (Imperfect) to see if it allows us to stretch out our standard shopping trips a bit further.

Unfortunately, my kids are eating Costco sized tubs of blueberries for lunch, so that's what we are running out of most frequently. The good news is that they turn to the less fragile fruit after the blueberries have been demolished.

The only thing I can't find still is cleaning wipes. Everything else is typically restocked, although not available on every shopping trip.

I use Imperfect and have been very happy with it! I actually like the fruit better than what I can get in the grocery store and the veggies are fine (I am not as picky with veggies, since I tend to cook them). I also get a kick out of browsing through the non-produce options and picking out a "treat" or two. Seems to fill some of the same itch as foraging for interesting goodies at the store...

Excellent! Looking forward to trying it. I also added a few treats. They had some really interesting options available, given COVID. My sister was the one who recommended them, and she mentioned that her box offers cheese trays from the airlines, as they aren't able to sell them.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #754 on: May 27, 2020, 04:30:54 AM »

Milk is $2.50/gal

Here in my area of Florida:
Butter is $3.89/lb
Milk is just about $4/gal
Boneless chicken breast is just shy of $5/lb
Ground beef is $4.29/lb
Pork chops are $3.79/lb
Whole chickens are almost $2/pound

I limit my shopping to once a week and what I can get I get and forget the rest.  I've never been much of a baker (and now not being able to have the carbs that's kind of a blessing) but folks don't seem to be going after the pie crusts as much as all of the flours.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #755 on: May 27, 2020, 07:26:00 AM »
Store yesterday was out of fresh ground hamburger, jalapeno peppers and the good tequila! Guess everyone had a cookout on Memorial weekend! On the plus side...got plenty of flour for the too damn much baking going on in this house. One accomplishment of this crisis...I discovered that the cheaper store brand flour is no different than the brand names, same goes for shortening. Multiple pies that disappeared promptly can attest to this.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #756 on: May 27, 2020, 08:45:39 AM »
If anyone is still looking for yeast, Nuts.com has some in stock again.  I was able to get 4 oz of active dry yeast and 1 lb of instant yeast - I'll be stocked for awhile! I've ordered from them once before (during quarantine), and they seem to have good products and quite a wide range of pantry staples.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #757 on: May 27, 2020, 08:56:13 AM »
If anyone is still looking for yeast, Nuts.com has some in stock again.  I was able to get 4 oz of active dry yeast and 1 lb of instant yeast - I'll be stocked for awhile! I've ordered from them once before (during quarantine), and they seem to have good products and quite a wide range of pantry staples.
We have a friend that sends us a gift from nuts.com each Christmas and we have always found the quality to be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #758 on: May 27, 2020, 09:26:59 AM »
I went to Aldi this morning! It's the first time I've been in any grocery store since the end of March, and the first time I've been to Aldi since the end of February. It was a little more crowded than I liked, but most people were wearing masks. One guy looked at everyone and exclaimed "Oh, I forgot!" and pulled out his mask, which was nice and funny.

They did have pie crusts - $1.50.
Milk was $2 something, but I didn't buy any.
Butter was $2.50 - that I did buy.

Lots of limits on things like bread and canned goods.

I noticed that while that had some of most things, they didn't have a lot of many things? It was spread out over the shelves. There was tp, but only one kind, and it was a limit of 1. There weren't many frozen vegetables, like no peas but they did have corn.

I stocked up on many things. I notice they are starting curbside pickup, so I might try that next month.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #759 on: May 27, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »
I just did our weekly shop at BJ’s Wholesale, which is a cross between a supermarket and warehouse club. The store was calm, everyone wore a mask, and people generally did a good job of distancing. They had workers at the entry to count the number of shoppers entering, and a sign stating that they would only allow a certain number in the store at a time.

They’ve now placed Costco-like limits on fresh meat but seemed to have a decent amount in stock. They had plenty of toilet paper and paper towels, cleaning supplies, flour (regular and gluten-free), eggs, and all the produce on my list. They were completely out of cream cheese (so much for making a cheesecake on my birthday) sour cream, yogurt, yeast, and various herbs and spices. The supply chains are so weird right now.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #760 on: May 27, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
Oh! There was no yeast this morning, not that I buy that at Aldi anyway, and no baking powder. Plenty of chocolate chips, thank goodness!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #761 on: May 27, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
We've seen prices skyrocket here this month.  The brisket I got for 2.39 lb last month is now near 7/lb.  Chicken thighs went from .92c to 1.92.   Ground beef is near 5/lb chicken breast at the regular grocery store are 4.50 lb, I paid 1.40 lb for a 10lb bag last month.  I don't think I have ever seen everything double inside of 30 days.  Really happy we stocked up the freezers last month.  I ground down two whole briskets into ground beef it was so cheap

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #762 on: May 28, 2020, 06:34:31 PM »
Found a new "breed?" of apples today at Aldi called Wild Twist. They were $1/lb so within our buy price. Have to say I really liked them, they were nice and crispy and sweet (but not overly so). According to my google search they're new as of this year.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #763 on: May 28, 2020, 08:37:25 PM »
Apple “variety.”  Never heard of that one.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #764 on: May 28, 2020, 10:45:58 PM »
I got EVERY. THING. on my list today at Trader Joe's.  Wow that felt nice.  Also some things not on my list like Ube (purple yam) ice cream and lemon/raspberry/strawberry ice cream bars.  I'm a little late for the heat wave which is trailing off as of today and certainly tomorrow, but I couldn't resist.

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #765 on: May 29, 2020, 06:31:34 AM »
Oh! There was no yeast this morning, not that I buy that at Aldi anyway, and no baking powder. Plenty of chocolate chips, thank goodness!

I haven't seen yeast at Aldi in months.

They have tp and hand sanitizer now though.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #766 on: May 29, 2020, 07:39:27 AM »
Throughout the last few months our Aldi has consistently done a fantastic job with its inventory. Yeast still hasn't returned but they had flour and sugar when no one else did and had more generous limits on dairy products. We had to temporarily switch to a more expensive store when shelves were empty almost everywhere and were thrilled when Aldi stepped up its game.

The Target we use for drive-up orders was the first store I noticed to put a security guard out front to enforce crowd limits. I've also seen him turn away groups of teens trying to walk into the store during the hours set aside for the elderly and medically vulnerable.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #767 on: May 29, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
We haven't seen many price increases in NC, but lots of things are regularly out.  I was shocked to see boneless skinless chicken breasts while at the store yesterday (trying to avoid weekend crowds) for 99c a lb.  I bought 20 lbs (and still left plenty).  Even more surprising was the additional discount after I entered in my club card, it brought the price down to around 60c a lb.  I'm thinking now that those packages must have been mispriced. 

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #768 on: May 29, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »
Went out today to Walmart and Publix.  Not many masks at Walmart but about 95% were worn at Publix.  Walmart had toilet paper, paper towels, pretty much everything (not fully stocked but there was enough for everyone) except wipes.  Publix was STILL wiped out of everything paper/cleaning wise.

I did manage to get everything on my list (even burgers!) so I am set for awhile.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #769 on: May 29, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »
I went to Costco today and they had plenty of meat but I was astounded at the price. The New York Strip steaks that I usually buy for around $7.49 per pound were $11.99 per pound! I skipped on those even though we haven't had steak for over a month now because we've been out of it.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #770 on: May 29, 2020, 12:11:54 PM »
Beef is the one thing I see huge price increases on here. We normally buy 90% lean (or better) ground beef as DH has cholesterol issues. I can buy it regular price at $4.49 per pound but now it is currently $7.99 per pound with a limit of 4 packages of meat total. Beef roast I usually buy between $2.99-$3.99 per pound but it is currently $8.49 per pound. I laughed at the steak prices - most were $11.99-$15.99 per pound.

What is particularly maddening is that I live in the heart of cattle country. So we don’t have it shipped in from some great distance. But the supplier is a national supplier and raised prices for everyone. Most of this beef is packaged 60 miles from my town.

Anyone else notice that lettuce has been particularly ugly in the store? The preshredded looks brown before purchased and the head lettuce doesn’t look a lot better. Both seem to turn brown super quick one open/cut.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #771 on: May 29, 2020, 12:33:15 PM »
Beef is the one thing I see huge price increases on here. We normally buy 90% lean (or better) ground beef as DH has cholesterol issues. I can buy it regular price at $4.49 per pound but now it is currently $7.99 per pound with a limit of 4 packages of meat total. Beef roast I usually buy between $2.99-$3.99 per pound but it is currently $8.49 per pound. I laughed at the steak prices - most were $11.99-$15.99 per pound.

What is particularly maddening is that I live in the heart of cattle country. So we don’t have it shipped in from some great distance. But the supplier is a national supplier and raised prices for everyone. Most of this beef is packaged 60 miles from my town.

Anyone else notice that lettuce has been particularly ugly in the store? The preshredded looks brown before purchased and the head lettuce doesn’t look a lot better. Both seem to turn brown super quick one open/cut.

We've had really good luck with salad greens and general produce lately. Now I'm concerned that the situation might change.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #772 on: May 29, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
Beef prices have skyrocketed at meijer.  The cheap beef in the bulk tube is selling for $5.33/lb, most of the other ground beef was $6-10/lb. 

Prices seemed only slightly elevated at Kroger, Costco, and BJ's - maybe they will skyrocket by my next shopping trip.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #773 on: May 29, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »
Not quite grocery shopping, but still food... There's a berry farm near me where I get all of my berries for the year in the summer. I freeze most of them for use throughout the year. Now it's strawberry season, and I went today to start stocking up. They used to have you pick whatever amount you wanted in a bucket, transfer it to a box, weigh it, and pay by weight. Now you tell them how many pounds you want to pick, they give you a box that corresponds to that weight, and you pay for that weight before you go pick your berries right into the box. Somehow that's supposed to decrease coronavirus transmission opportunities, they say. A box that's full to the top, but not over, is apparently the correct weight. (Never mind that strawberries can be different sizes, thereby fitting together more or less tightly, etc.) I weighed my "10 pound" box on my kitchen scale when I got home, and it was 8.7 pounds.

They're requesting that people wear a mask at the station where you pay for your berries, which I can understand, but it looks like ALL employees are required to wear a mask... including the dude standing alone in the middle of a field, at least 10-15 feet from anyone passing by. His job was to point people toward the area for picking. At the cash register, the woman behind the counter removed her mask to answer someone behind me who asked a question. The whole point of the mask... okay, don't get me started.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #774 on: May 30, 2020, 12:58:21 PM »
Boneless-skinless chicken breasts were selling for more than $7/pound at my store (normal grocery store) last night. Most everything has returned, except for the cheap rice and sanitizing wipes.

The salad bar, empty for the last eleven weeks or so, is now a pie rack.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #775 on: May 30, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »
We had boneless skinless chicken breasts for <$2/lb, and the salad bar is full of potato chips...

House of Raeford is still traveling around the Carolinas (and beyond) selling 40lb cases of fresh chicken parts from $20 to $65, depending on the part. I find it hilarious that wings are the highest price. The lines, however, are too long for me!

Amazon is getting (huge packs of) non commercial TP in stock frequently, so we’re stocked for the next couple months.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2020, 10:51:20 AM »
I did my first grocery shop since mid March.  Husband has been doing them all.  But I went to look for the eggs on Saturday (he went to Costco Friday), and it turns out...he'd forgotten them in the trunk of the car overnight.  Thus...I headed to the store for eggs.

It was weird, but not so bad.  They disinfect the carts after each person.  Everyone has to wear a mask.  Each aisle is one way, but not always followed.  I found a few other things we needed.  I feel a bit human again...not grocery shopping for 2.5 months is hard.   And now we have eggs.  I also, for the first time ever, loaded coupons onto my store card, saved me a bundle.  But we are still spending way too much on food.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #777 on: June 01, 2020, 12:05:37 PM »
Over all the ups and downs, no TP, no flour, etc... All of that stuff seems to be back in my local Safeway, but still and always... No firm or extra firm tofu. We find it at other places, but I just don't know what the deal is at Safeway.

GillyMack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #778 on: June 01, 2020, 12:17:16 PM »
Went to grocery this morning. In general all good. No yeast (as expected) but there was some limited choice of both bread flour and all-purpose.  No paper napkins or even a place on the shelf.  Any possible place of the shelf was filled with Much Toilet Paper.  So what gives? Have the paper plants retooled over to toilet paper?  Haven’t seen paper napkins in about a month.

Proud of our mustachian pioneering skills.  Have switched over to cloth napkins and may continue to do so. And DH just successfully created his first ever sour dough starter from scratch after feeding it for 2 weeks. He baked a very nice boule over the weekend. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #779 on: June 01, 2020, 12:27:31 PM »

Proud of our mustachian pioneering skills.  Have switched over to cloth napkins and may continue to do so.

We made this switch a few years ago and it's great.  We still end up with paper napkins, of course, from takeout and other situations where we just find it in a bag we're given.  So we have a stash in the car and in the kitchen just in case...but that stash is actually just growing and growing and is a bit out of control!  I'm not sure I've used a single one all year, or perhaps much longer. Surprising how little we really need paper napkins.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #780 on: June 01, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »

Proud of our mustachian pioneering skills.  Have switched over to cloth napkins and may continue to do so.

We made this switch a few years ago and it's great.  We still end up with paper napkins, of course, from takeout and other situations where we just find it in a bag we're given.  So we have a stash in the car and in the kitchen just in case...but that stash is actually just growing and growing and is a bit out of control!  I'm not sure I've used a single one all year, or perhaps much longer. Surprising how little we really need paper napkins.
I've never actually purchased paper napkins.  Never saw a need?  I just used a paper towel as a napkin.  Never did a cost analysis, but not having to worry about one more thing to buy was my motivation.

For the past several months, though, I have been using cloth napkins that I found while decluttering (and trying to reduce my paper towel use by using cloth towels in certain situations).  Wish I had remembered I had these a while ago!

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #781 on: June 01, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »

I've never actually purchased paper napkins.  Never saw a need?  I just used a paper towel as a napkin.  Never did a cost analysis, but not having to worry about one more thing to buy was my motivation.

For the past several months, though, I have been using cloth napkins that I found while decluttering (and trying to reduce my paper towel use by using cloth towels in certain situations).  Wish I had remembered I had these a while ago!
I don't buy paper napkins either, I use cloth napkins at the table. I use cloth dish towels or rags for most messes and paper towel for particularly gross messes (mostly cat puke). I find disposable items wasteful both in terms of the environment and money, so I try to limit their use.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #782 on: June 01, 2020, 02:21:34 PM »
Tons of everything that was out of stock now in all the groceries I've been to the last week. Sanitizer, toilet paper, flour, canned goods, beans and pasta, paper products in general, even a good supply of bleach and hand soaps.

Still missing: yeast and ammonia for some reason. I use ammonia in laundry but it's not totally necessary, just annoying as it's not a disinfectant or rated to kill viruses?

I found ONE 3pk of yeast totally by accident tho. The little boxes they come in were empty on the shelves but it was one of the high shelves, and one package got missed in the back. But they are getting yeast in, so it's likely just need to have the rabid baker contingent settle down and hopefully we'll start seeing normal stock in another week or two.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #783 on: June 01, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »
Here's a weird one. Freaking BAKING POWDER is nowhere to be found. But you can just make your own, right? Nope, all the freaking CREAM OF TARTAR is also gone! We're going to go on a massive hunt tonight to find either of them, at basically any store that even has a chance of success (so far three have been failures).

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #784 on: June 01, 2020, 03:22:25 PM »

We went to Aldi today for the first time since March 13th.  They had iceberg heads and packages of romaine hearts.  The romaine looked awful, so I bought iceberg, but I think we'll need to eat it quickly.  More and more I make salads from longer lasting vegetables like carrots, cabbage, cucumbers, etc.  I also noticed there weren't many tomatoes, and they only had baby carrots.

But they were putting out huge numbers of discounted extra lean beef (93% and the one other kind which was even leaner).  The use/freeze by date is tomorrow, which seemed odd since they were just then stocking it and had 50 packages of each.  Regular price on the 93% lean was $4.19#, each package was just over 1#, and they were all $2 off.  We haven't usually bought store ground beef, preferring grass-fed, but times being what they are, I bought 2 packages (the limit).

I didn't think to look for yeast, since I still have a couple of unopened bags (and I mostly use my sourdough starter).  Diced tomatoes were super low in stock, and they only had the Italian flavored cans, not the regular or fire-roasted.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #785 on: June 01, 2020, 06:08:41 PM »
Here's a weird one. Freaking BAKING POWDER is nowhere to be found. But you can just make your own, right? Nope, all the freaking CREAM OF TARTAR is also gone! We're going to go on a massive hunt tonight to find either of them, at basically any store that even has a chance of success (so far three have been failures).

It's part of certain recipes for homemade all-purpose cleaners. Since I've been having trouble finding that, I used up a good portion of my baking powder on one such recipe this weekend. I was just thinking,  "I don't think there's been a shortage on baking powder so this should be ok!"

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #786 on: June 01, 2020, 07:38:30 PM »
Went to Costco today for the first time in about 1.5 months. I got toilet paper, and every other thing on my list which was a damn miracle. Honestly it was the least stressful shopping experience I've had in about 4 months. I live in AZ, and the panic buying here was next level. Seeing toilet paper at Costco today was the first time I have laid eyes on any toilet paper, in any store, since February. I start work at 7am, so I can never make it to stores when they open, so I'm sure there was toilet paper at some point...but not in the afternoons/evenings when I can shop. Anyway, it was SO nice to go in and get everything on my list. What a privilege, honestly.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #787 on: June 01, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »

It's part of certain recipes for homemade all-purpose cleaners. Since I've been having trouble finding that, I used up a good portion of my baking powder on one such recipe this weekend. I was just thinking,  "I don't think there's been a shortage on baking powder so this should be ok!"
I've been keeping an eye out for cream of tartar too and I haven't seen any in a few weeks. I was surprised about that, didn't think it would be so popular. I use it to make snickerdoodles primarily, so it's not urgent but would be nice to have.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #788 on: June 01, 2020, 08:28:33 PM »

The hell, I had no idea. I would never think to use baking powder for cleaning, lol. Baking soda, sure. What did you make, out of curiosity?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #789 on: June 01, 2020, 09:34:13 PM »

I've been keeping an eye out for cream of tartar too and I haven't seen any in a few weeks. I was surprised about that, didn't think it would be so popular. I use it to make snickerdoodles primarily, so it's not urgent but would be nice to have.
Easy and tastier sub for cream of tartar in snickerdoodles is equiv amount of lemon juice.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #790 on: June 01, 2020, 10:06:41 PM »
Has anyone been able to purchase disinfecting wipes recently? I’ve been looking for a while with zero luck.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #791 on: June 01, 2020, 10:22:04 PM »

The hell, I had no idea. I would never think to use baking powder for cleaning, lol. Baking soda, sure. What did you make, out of curiosity?

Oh man, no you are right, I always get those two confused.  And I was posting that while at a protest/vigil, so couldn't peek in my pantry...I literally always have to look at the actual boxes to see which is which each f'in time.  I will never learn the difference.  Sigh.  Anyway, yeah, I have no baking soda left, LOL.  Hopefully there's not a shortage of that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #792 on: June 02, 2020, 12:26:42 AM »
I found yeast in 1lb. bags at my local restaurant supply for $4. Limit one. Two days later I went to the Costco clearance outlet and found another of the same yeast, so now there are two vacuum sealed bags in my freezer, waiting to be called up.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #793 on: June 02, 2020, 07:57:10 AM »

I was surprised about that, didn't think it would be so popular. I use it to make snickerdoodles primarily, so it's not urgent but would be nice to have.

Cream of Tartar is an ingredient in my homemade play dough recipe, and I bet that lots of people have made homemade play dough recently.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:51:20 PM by Cranky »

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #794 on: June 02, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »

Easy and tastier sub for cream of tartar in snickerdoodles is equiv amount of lemon juice.
Awesome thanks for the info! I just ran out of lemon juice haha but it is on my list.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #795 on: June 02, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »
I found yeast in 1lb. bags at my local restaurant supply for $4. Limit one. Two days later I went to the Costco clearance outlet and found another of the same yeast, so now there are two vacuum sealed bags in my freezer, waiting to be called up.

Excellent choice to buy and freeze it!  I still have 2 unopened bags of SAF Instant (I bought 4 in March 2019 and am almost through the second bag I've opened) and 1 unopened bag of SAF Instant Gold (bought January 2020).  I've never had yeast stored in the freezer fail to perform, even a year or more after the "Best By" date. My Costco no longer sells yeast -- I've been looking for at least a year for them to stock the active dry yeast they used to sell.  I would have been okay with sourdough starter only, but not happily okay.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #796 on: June 02, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »

Excellent choice to buy and freeze it!  I still have 2 unopened bags of SAF Instant (I bought 4 in March 2019 and am almost through the second bag I've opened) and 1 unopened bag of SAF Instant Gold (bought January 2020).  I've never had yeast stored in the freezer fail to perform, even a year or more after the "Best By" date. My Costco no longer sells yeast -- I've been looking for at least a year for them to stock the active dry yeast they used to sell.  I would have been okay with sourdough starter only, but not happily okay.
Yup, same brand. I have the dregs of an old 2# bag from Costco in my freezer that I'm still working through. I've also shared it with several people, including a friend of a friend in New York City. Who ever thought of sending yeast to friends prior to this pandemic?

Back to yeast for a moment. If you have a Costco Business Center anywhere near you, you're in luck. They carry it. I like making a trip there now and then, because they have different things than the regular warehouses. The chips my husband likes in his lunches are only carried periodically in the local warehouse, but the CBC stocks them all the time, and for a better price.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #797 on: June 02, 2020, 04:29:56 PM »
Went to Walmart today for the first time since the pandemic.  Not many people in the store and everyone being very good about social distancing.  The one way aisles are a pain because they seem the opposite of the logical direction.  Maybe to make you buy more?

If I wanted to use my own bags, I had to pack them myself and since the counter is not set up for that, I had to use their bags, which means I have 5 more to add to my collection.  (Who trains these cashiers anyway?  She put all the cans in one bag, then 3 bags of chips in another.  If the stuff had been properly packed, 3 bags would have been enough.)

I think I’m done with groceries for a couple of months and next time will go back to Superstore, my usual place.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: June 02, 2020, 05:43:05 PM »

Or you could do what my mom (who had just immigrated) did for a cake, at the suggestion of my late father (who basically never cooked, much less baked):

Tartar sauce.

The special birthday cake she prepared for the large family celebration was special indeed.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #799 on: June 03, 2020, 03:52:35 AM »
I was feeling crappy yesterday and extra-pessimistic so I ordered about $120 of groceries from Amazon’s Prime Now platform.  I went ahead and bought a pack of Quilted Northern TP and 2 cases of bottled water for emergency planning.  Also milk, cream, grapes, coffee. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!