Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 110676 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #950 on: August 06, 2020, 07:07:46 AM »
What's with the taking off of shoes in the house?  I take off my shoes when I enter most houses, especially my own, but it has absolutely nothing to do with covid.  Unless you work in a hospital, in the covid ward, I wouldn't think your shoes are a problem. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #951 on: August 06, 2020, 07:43:06 AM »
What's with the taking off of shoes in the house?  I take off my shoes when I enter most houses, especially my own, but it has absolutely nothing to do with covid.  Unless you work in a hospital, in the covid ward, I wouldn't think your shoes are a problem.

Nothing to do with covid.  Not taking shoes off when you enter a house is a clear indication that you're a sub-human monster who should be shunned from society.  How the fuck do you keep a house clean if you're tracking in dirt from outside every time you come in?

:P

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Grocery shopping
« Reply #952 on: August 06, 2020, 09:21:27 AM »
I don't think packaging is a good vector for transmission since the likelihood of transmission is partly a function of viral load.  You are not likely to receive enough virus bodies to infect you from packaging imo.  It's a water droplet full of viruses that you inhale that will get you.

So why are we being urged to wash our hands frequently and to not touch our eyes, mouth or nose?

What’s the point or urgency with hand hygiene (other than it is just good in general) and not touching your face if surfaces are not an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #953 on: August 06, 2020, 10:47:56 AM »
I don't think packaging is a good vector for transmission since the likelihood of transmission is partly a function of viral load.  You are not likely to receive enough virus bodies to infect you from packaging imo.  It's a water droplet full of viruses that you inhale that will get you.

So why are we being urged to wash our hands frequently and to not touch our eyes, mouth or nose?

What’s the point or urgency with hand hygiene (other than it is just good in general) and not touching your face if surfaces are not an issue?

I think it depends on what you are doing. 

We almost never leave the house.  So we do normal hand washing.

If we go to the grocery store, then we come home and wash our hands.

If we go for a walk, bike ride, etc...then we come home and wash our hands.

If we go to the orthodontist, or get mail...

But mostly we don't leave the house.

The hand washing advice came early, before we had an idea of the cause of the spread.

But still, you could be out and about, with a mask on.  If you are indoors and someone has COVID, you could pick it up on your hands even if you don't touch anything, because it's in the air. 

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: August 06, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
But still, you could be out and about, with a mask on.  If you are indoors and someone has COVID, you could pick it up on your hands even if you don't touch anything, because it's in the air. 

Also, do you know how damn many of you TOUCH YOUR MASK EVERY SINGLE MINUTE YOU'RE WEARING IT?

I spent a day working the polls a few weeks ago, and it was very enlightening.

Keep washing your hands.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #955 on: August 06, 2020, 01:27:01 PM »

Also, do you know how damn many of you TOUCH YOUR MASK EVERY SINGLE MINUTE YOU'RE WEARING IT?

Keep washing your hands.

I train people on proper PPE use, it's pretty crazy how poorly people pick it up. I used to train rats with electric shocks and so wished I could do the same with clinical staff: "you just touched the outside of your mask with bare hands! ZAP"
That said, I don't worry too much about mask behaviours, because their purpose these days isn't so much to protect the wearer, as it is to protect everyone else. That's why I'm not even too fussed about all the folks wearing them below their noses, because their mouth is still covered and their droplets are pretty well contained. On a populational level, it just matters that people wear them.

They're mandatory everywhere indoors here now, and compliance has been excellent.

However, I'm extra, triply diligent about my own infection control now because of having to wear these things on my face. I have no illusion of myself being safer because I am wearing an ineffective mask, and I hate that unlike in a clinical setting, I can't just throw it out the moment I take it off.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:42:41 PM by Malcat »

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #956 on: August 06, 2020, 03:02:26 PM »

The hand washing advice came early, before we had an idea of the cause of the spread.

Pretty much this.  Handwashing is just good practice and it's easy.  Do you track the cross contamination between grocery items and your cell phone, or door handles and your cell phone?  Car keys, gear shift, steering wheel, etc.

I don't mean to suggest that surfaces are impossible forms of transmission, just that sanitizing packaging when you arrive at home seems like a bit of overkill.  And you shouldn't be touching E/M/T stuff without clean hands anyway.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #957 on: August 06, 2020, 03:35:45 PM »
Actually, I do clean my phone and the door handles when we come home from the store (and we really don’t go to the store all that often...)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #958 on: August 06, 2020, 04:34:53 PM »

Pretty much this.  Handwashing is just good practice and it's easy.  Do you track the cross contamination between grocery items and your cell phone, or door handles and your cell phone?  Car keys, gear shift, steering wheel, etc.

I don't mean to suggest that surfaces are impossible forms of transmission, just that sanitizing packaging when you arrive at home seems like a bit of overkill.  And you shouldn't be touching E/M/T stuff without clean hands anyway.

Car keys go on a hook and aren't touched for a few days.  The car itself sits out baking in the sun for the same period, sterilizing the steering wheel.  We don't use cell phones in the grocery store, we use paper lists that are disposed of after going.

There's no real work at all to do what any of that, so yeah . . . makes sense to err on the side of safety.

MaybeBecca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • To be able to one day live exactly as I'd like.
« Reply #959 on: August 07, 2020, 08:24:24 AM »

Keep washing your hands.

I train people on proper PPE use, it's pretty crazy how poorly people pick it up. I used to train rats with electric shocks and so wished I could do the same with clinical staff: "you just touched the outside of your mask with bare hands! ZAP"
That said, I don't worry too much about mask behaviours, because their purpose these days isn't so much to protect the wearer, as it is to protect everyone else. That's why I'm not even too fussed about all the folks wearing them below their noses, because their mouth is still covered and their droplets are pretty well contained. On a populational level, it just matters that people wear them.

They're mandatory everywhere indoors here now, and compliance has been excellent.

However, I'm extra, triply diligent about my own infection control now because of having to wear these things on my face. I have no illusion of myself being safer because I am wearing an ineffective mask, and I hate that unlike in a clinical setting, I can't just throw it out the moment I take it off.

I do understand that unless they sneeze, they're probably not going to infect someone, but they're opening themselves up to getting the virus by improperly wearing their mask, which sucks for healthcare workers that may have to deal with them if they get infected.

Plus it looks as stupid as a man wearing his pants below his penis but above his balls.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #960 on: August 07, 2020, 08:34:52 AM »

I do understand that unless they sneeze, they're probably not going to infect someone, but they're opening themselves up to getting the virus by improperly wearing their mask, which sucks for healthcare workers that may have to deal with them if they get infected.

Plus it looks as stupid as a man wearing his pants below his penis but above his balls.

I don't think that's true.  Coughing and sneezing definitely increase the risk of transmission greatly, but it's not how we have 20M (confirmed) cases worldwide.  The virus can be transmitted merely by talking, even if you are asymptomatic and don't know you're infected.  That's why mask usage is being mandated across the globe. 

And to expand on Malcat's post, I am definitely fussed about people wearing them below their noses.  Shockingly, your nose is connected to your respiratory system.  Wearing one over the mouth but not the nose may be better than not wearing one at all, but they've already gone to the effort of obtaining and wearing a mask, so just put it over your fucking nose.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #961 on: August 07, 2020, 08:51:48 AM »
I agree with frugal nacho, this virus is highly contagious and if someone has it, merely breathing and talking can spread it. Health care workers have to re use their masks, keeping them in a paper bag and or getting them re sterilized in some cases. I have a cloth mask or two that I wash, or leave it in the car to bake. I heard bake 3m N 95 At 160 for 20 minutes kills covid. But will degrade the mask at some point. They are using gas to sterilize at the hospital, and asking men to shave  for better fit and for women to not wear makeup because it prevents mask from being re usable.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #962 on: August 07, 2020, 10:31:27 AM »
Costco in Livonia, MI had excellent mask compliance today. I saw a couple of free noses but everyone had a mask at least over their mouth.

Standard toilet paper was in somewhat short supply again. Other safety measures (limited number of shoppers in store, cart sanitizing, no unloading onto conveyor belts) seem to have been scrapped. The store was crowded and a bit chaotic at 10:30 am on a weekday.

Still, I got everything on my list except smoked paprika, and I think I last bought that at the Ann Arbor store.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #963 on: August 07, 2020, 02:53:48 PM »
For wipes you might check Office Depot I have their app and would check it multiple times per day and sometimes at night.  I managed to grab 2 cases of Clorox wipes plus some Lysol wipes.

It seems like the load them mostly at night and they go quick.

I use them at my work, normally they provide them but someone stole a bunch cases as the pandemic started and they have not been able to get them since so I am on my own.

I bought a case of dry wipes from Amazon.  Not the kind you add water to rehydrate, but the kind that don't have anything in them at all.  I douse them with 70% alcohol, which has been back in stock at the supermarket.  The dry wipes are easier to use than paper towels.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #964 on: August 07, 2020, 03:09:51 PM »

Nothing to do with covid.  Not taking shoes off when you enter a house is a clear indication that you're a sub-human monster who should be shunned from society.  How the fuck do you keep a house clean if you're tracking in dirt from outside every time you come in?

Heck, we have inside and outside pants (oh lord, I'm Sheldon Cooper and I have 'bus pants).....

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #965 on: August 07, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »

Where are you ordering on line? I have done Costco, Target, Walmart, but hate Amazon and will shop other places rather than them unless I can't find it elsewhere.

Pretty much those same places.  I rarely order food from Amazon, but as much as I dislike their monopoly I will order items I can't get locally or from somewhere else online. Costco 2 day for non-perishables is okay, but more expensive than in store.  I won't order food from Target ever again.  We did get some pinto beans from Walmart recently, and I've ordered rice from them before.  When the pandemic hit I was low on some of our basics, so I ordered from Essential Organic Ingredients because I knew some Canadians who recommended the company (I think they are called Organic Matters in Canada).  Unfortunately the lentils I ordered from them ended up being buggy (thank goodness everything I bought was in gamma sealed buckets and I only lost the lentils that must have come contaminated.  And no matter how I tried to cook it, their jasmine rice was awful.

I've ordered from Bob's Red Mill, and from Central Milling.  Central Milling is the brand of flour I was getting from Azure Standard -- it was more expensive to go to them directly but they had the flour in stock and Azure didn't, and I didn't have to risk an Azure pick up.  I have a barley allergy so I need to buy wheat flour without malted barley flour added.

Going forward, I think we'll order beans and rice from Walmart, since Costco has stopped carrying dry pinto beans.  I hate buying cereal but the college kids like the taste and convenience (probably because I didn't buy it when they were younger), so I'll order that from Costco.  Really, any non-perishables we were buying at Costco we'll order from them instead, making sure we do a $75 order to save the ridiculous shipping fees.

I realized I probably need to go back to Costco one more time this month, since I didn't buy more organic strawberry jam and I want a year's worth.  I could order it, but it's an extra $1 per jar and I'm not sure they'll pack it well enough to avoid breakage.  I should also buy frozen fish, because there's no way I'll order fish with Instacart.  I'm going to try a Tuesday night, which in the past has been a slower time.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #966 on: August 07, 2020, 03:13:45 PM »
Actually, I do clean my phone and the door handles when we come home from the store (and we really don’t go to the store all that often...)
yup - phone is in a waterproof case - it gets washed with soap and water at the same time I'm washing my hands from being out (presuming the phone came out of my bag at any time - and it usually does)

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #967 on: August 07, 2020, 03:33:30 PM »

Where are you ordering on line? I have done Costco, Target, Walmart, but hate Amazon and will shop other places rather than them unless I can't find it elsewhere.
[/quote

I realized I probably need to go back to Costco one more time this month, since I didn't buy more organic strawberry jam and I want a year's worth.  I could order it, but it's an extra $1 per jar and I'm not sure they'll pack it well enough to avoid breakage. 

Just a note on Costco shipping. I just ordered a bunch of things from them, including jars of Better than Bouillon, and I was shocked at how well they were packed. Each jar had its own thick bubble wrap bag wrapped around it and taped shut. I don't love ordering breakable things from online grocery stores, but I was impressed.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #968 on: August 07, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »
I agree with frugal nacho, this virus is highly contagious and if someone has it, merely breathing and talking can spread it. Health care workers have to re use their masks, keeping them in a paper bag and or getting them re sterilized in some cases. I have a cloth mask or two that I wash, or leave it in the car to bake. I heard bake 3m N 95 At 160 for 20 minutes kills covid. But will degrade the mask at some point. They are using gas to sterilize at the hospital, and asking men to shave  for better fit and for women to not wear makeup because it prevents mask from being re usable.

Yes, that's protocols for keeping the wearer safe in a high risk environment. There's a completely different standard of mask depending on how much risk there is for the health professional. In my clinical environment, I don't have to wear a fitted N95 because not doing high risk procedures, I can wear a basic surgical mask. My colleagues are spraying bodily fluids all over the room, and even they don't have to wear an N95 if the patient screens negative.

Gen pop cloth masks are more for protecting others, so when I wear one, I have no sense of it protecting me.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:38:30 PM by Malcat »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #969 on: August 07, 2020, 05:15:08 PM »

Door mats? Also known as Walk-Off mats?
We have stone floors. I wear shoes pretty much all the damn time.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #970 on: August 07, 2020, 07:19:50 PM »

I think that some of the difference is where you live. If I lived in California I might feel differently about shoes in the house, but I live in Ohio and there is a big chunk of the year where you track in snow/mud/salt. I’d rather just change my shoes at the door.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #971 on: August 07, 2020, 11:58:56 PM »

I think that some of the difference is where you live. If I lived in California I might feel differently about shoes in the house, but I live in Ohio and there is a big chunk of the year where you track in snow/mud/salt. I’d rather just change my shoes at the door.
That makes sense.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #972 on: August 08, 2020, 06:04:14 AM »

I have foot and knee pain - I wear shoes all the time - but I have "inside" runners.   I have slippers for guests that didn't bring their own, I have a pair of slippers that live in the car for when we used to visit other people (and will again)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #973 on: August 08, 2020, 10:24:43 AM »

You monster!

Door mats don't do squat.  How do you keep all the road salt, mud, and snow from ruining your floo . . . oh wait.  California.  Stop rubbing your paradise weather in our faces!

And take your shoes off!

And get off my grass!

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #974 on: August 08, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »

You monster!

Door mats don't do squat.  How do you keep all the road salt, mud, and snow from ruining your floo . . . oh wait.  California.  Stop rubbing your paradise weather in our faces!

And take your shoes off!

And get off my grass!

this time of year it seems to be maple keys.....I'm forever picking them up on the door mat (where the shoes are taken off, thank you very much!)

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #975 on: August 08, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »
Dirt contains all manner of nasty stuff, like decayed plant matter, insect remains, bits of dried dog feces if you have a dog, pollen etc.  All that stuff can not only ruin your floors, especially carpet, but also becomes air borne and gets inhaled.  How hard is it to remove shoes?

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #976 on: August 12, 2020, 12:55:17 AM »
Dirt contains all manner of nasty stuff, like decayed plant matter, insect remains, bits of dried dog feces if you have a dog, pollen etc.  All that stuff can not only ruin your floors, especially carpet, but also becomes air borne and gets inhaled.  How hard is it to remove shoes?

I live in a place with concrete floors. Not only do I wear shoes in the house, but I had to put insoles in them because walking around on concrete all day is horrible on my feet.

I'll mop more frequently, sure, but it's worth it to not live with the foot pain.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #977 on: August 12, 2020, 05:30:34 AM »

I live in a place with concrete floors. Not only do I wear shoes in the house, but I had to put insoles in them because walking around on concrete all day is horrible on my feet.

I'll mop more frequently, sure, but it's worth it to not live with the foot pain.

Aah, but what we have been discussing is changing from outdoor shoes to indoor shoes.  Your indoor shoes can be anything you choose, including supportive.  They just stay clean because they are not outdoor shoes.  When you get ready to out/come home changing shoes is just part of the routine.  Like putting on/taking off your mask these days.

Even before Covid I had indoor shoes and outdoor shoes/boots.  Because snow and rain make outdoor gear dirty and not for indoor use.

ETA if you ever visit Canadians in their homes, take a change of shoes or at least wear your nice socks.  Taking our outdoor shoes off is pretty common behaviour here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:32:40 AM by RetiredAt63 »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #978 on: August 12, 2020, 05:40:23 AM »

Aah, but what we have been discussing is changing from outdoor shoes to indoor shoes.  Your indoor shoes can be anything you choose, including supportive.  They just stay clean because they are not outdoor shoes.  When you get ready to out/come home changing shoes is just part of the routine.  Like putting on/taking off your mask these days.

Even before Covid I had indoor shoes and outdoor shoes/boots.  Because snow and rain make outdoor gear dirty and not for indoor use.

ETA if you ever visit Canadians in their homes, take a change of shoes or at least wear your nice socks.  Taking our outdoor shoes off is pretty common behaviour here.

Can confirm. I grew up in Canada, and I still take my shoes off when I come in the door.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #979 on: August 12, 2020, 09:06:49 AM »
Can someone explain to me how I can get the dog to change his shoes (paws)?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #980 on: August 12, 2020, 10:09:39 AM »

It's called a towel beside the door, and entry mats.  A little dust comes off on the mat.  Dirty paws get wiped with the towel.  Beach towels are good for whole dog drying.  Seriously, what do you do when the dog is out in the rain and comes in sopping wet?  Let it shake water all over the place and drip all over the place?  Are you being silly?

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #981 on: August 12, 2020, 10:17:17 AM »
This shoe changing/taking off thing is so interesting. We never had rules about shoes on+off in the house growing up. I mean, no shoes on the couches/beds obviously but I've never thought twice about walking around outside and then coming in and continuing to walk around in the same shoes...my floors aren't that dirty either? I sweep like 1-2x a week and it seems fine. I'm not like eating food off the floor or anything, but I've just never put much thought into wearing or not wearing shoes in the house. If I go on a muddy hike I will for sure not wear those shoes in the house. But all of my shoes are inside and outside shoes. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #982 on: August 12, 2020, 10:29:42 AM »
This shoe changing/taking off thing is so interesting. We never had rules about shoes on+off in the house growing up. I mean, no shoes on the couches/beds obviously but I've never thought twice about walking around outside and then coming in and continuing to walk around in the same shoes...my floors aren't that dirty either? I sweep like 1-2x a week and it seems fine. I'm not like eating food off the floor or anything, but I've just never put much thought into wearing or not wearing shoes in the house. If I go on a muddy hike I will for sure not wear those shoes in the house. But all of my shoes are inside and outside shoes. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

It's partly climate.  If you have snow for 5/6 months of the year, you get used to taking your boots off when you come home.  Then there are all the rainy days.  So you end up with house shoes anyway, so just use them all the time.

I used to get lazy when we had spells of dry weather, but when I saw how much grit was coming into the house I got better at being consistent about changing shoes.  Its probably easier to ignore if you live in an apartment building, where your shoes are pretty clean by the time you reach your unit.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #983 on: August 12, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »
Well, as RetiredAt 63 says, here in Canada, it's just the done thing.  It's rude not to in other people's homes.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #984 on: August 12, 2020, 10:32:33 AM »
I just hate shoes, so the shoes come off as soon as I walk in the door. However, the kitchen is nowhere near the door, so there is lots of traipsing on grocery day. They still come off while I am holding the last load.

I always look at my host's feet when they answer the door in deciding what to do at someone else's house.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #985 on: August 12, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »
We now unload the groceries onto the back deck by the door, and then take off our shoes to haul everything into the house. That way I can sort what gets wiped down and what goes into quarantine in the basement, too.

When I lived in Florida, a lot of people who lived near the beach did the no shoes in the house thing because there was just so much sand to be tracked in.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #986 on: August 12, 2020, 10:48:49 AM »
I just hate shoes, so the shoes come off as soon as I walk in the door. However, the kitchen is nowhere near the door, so there is lots of traipsing on grocery day. They still come off while I am holding the last load.

I always look at my host's feet when they answer the door in deciding what to do at someone else's house.

Typical pre-covid Canadian gathering - you know how many guests have arrived by how many shoes/boots are at the door.  ;-)

I bring all the shopping to just inside the door, put down purse, change shoes, put everything away.  These days the extra step is the mask, it lives on the door handle so never forgotten.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #987 on: August 12, 2020, 12:59:29 PM »
In my experience it’s shoes off in Post Soviet countries, to the point when we bought a sewing machine off “craigslist” we had to take off shoes and put on slippers provided by the seller for a little 5 minute trial of the sewing machine.  Was super weird/gross to me to be putting on some strangers slippers!

I grew up Mid-Atlantic region of the US wearing our shoes in & out, except if you were doing something messy.  I wonder perhaps if car usage plays into this.  If you go directly from car to building you collect less visible dirt vs lots of walking.

Now my post soviet spouse and I live in the southern US, and he has recently been getting on me about not taking my shoes off!  In the winter it’s easy to switch to slippers, so now I’ve designated some summer house flip flops and I am making an effort.   

TrMama

« Reply #988 on: August 14, 2020, 01:22:06 PM »
Well, as RetiredAt 63 says, here in Canada, it's just the done thing.  It's rude not to in other people's homes.

It's not just in home either. When my kids were littler, their school supply list always included a line item for "inside shoes". No way do you want a few hundred kids walking into the school and wearing their wet rain boots in the classroom all day. It would turn the room into a swamp. So all the kids have to change their shoes every time they went in or out.

Even some businesses in Quebec required shoes off at the door. Our dentist, for example, had coat racks and boot trays just inside the door. We wore our socks into the exam rooms. It was really no big deal and I appreciated that the floors were clean and dry.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #989 on: August 14, 2020, 02:07:30 PM »

It's called a towel beside the door, and entry mats.  A little dust comes off on the mat.  Dirty paws get wiped with the towel.  Beach towels are good for whole dog drying.  Seriously, what do you do when the dog is out in the rain and comes in sopping wet?  Let it shake water all over the place and drip all over the place?  Are you being silly?
A little silly, but the "all outside dirt has to stay outside or you will die of something nasty" line doesn't compute if you have a dog or outside cat.  Yes of course I dry the dog off if its rainy or he's been in the sea, but I'm not going to wash and dry his paws every time he comes in and out, it wouldn't be good for him, and the mats at the doors can only catch so much.  I always take my own shoes off and put on slippers, but since having the dog I don't lounge around on the floors the way I used to.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #990 on: August 14, 2020, 02:23:36 PM »

It's not just in home either. When my kids were littler, their school supply list always included a line item for "inside shoes". No way do you want a few hundred kids walking into the school and wearing their wet rain boots in the classroom all day. It would turn the room into a swamp. So all the kids have to change their shoes every time they went in or out.

Even some businesses in Quebec required shoes off at the door. Our dentist, for example, had coat racks and boot trays just inside the door. We wore our socks into the exam rooms. It was really no big deal and I appreciated that the floors were clean and dry.

My dentist the same.  My physiotherapy clinic in Ontario has a pile of slippers at the entrance.   My DD always had "School shoes".

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #991 on: August 14, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »
Let's get back to grocery shopping!

What kind of rice and beans do you buy? I want to stock up for the pandemic but never have really purchased that before. I do not want an overly salty brand. I like spicy stuff but can always add cayenne or red baby flakes. I think it would be good to have on hand but don't know what to purchase. There are many brands out there!

I meant to say crushed red pepper flakes.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:30:10 PM by Roadrunner53 »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #992 on: August 14, 2020, 03:22:18 PM »

What kind of rice and beans do you buy? I want to stock up for the pandemic but never have really purchased that before. I do not want an overly salty brand. I like spicy stuff but can always add cayenne or red baby flakes. I think it would be good to have on hand but don't know what to purchase. There are many brands out there!

I get dry lentils and store brand garbanzo, black, navy and refried beans. Oh, and Ziyad falafel mix because it is the only one that doesn't use wheat fillers, and Bob's Red Mill garbanzo flour because it is the only one I have found around here.

I do like Tasty Bites, but DH is dairy free and potato free, which means channa Masala, which everyone seems to be hoarding even more than TP.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:23:53 PM by ixtap »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #993 on: August 14, 2020, 03:24:22 PM »
On the shoes front, it's also cultural. My husband was raised in a country where wearing shoes in someone's house is considered very rude. You take them off outside the door.

In COVID times, I am noticing that I need more support around the house (I'm rarely outside, so almost never in shoes), so I'll buy a pair of supportive indoor shoes.

We've been together for 20+ years, and now I can't imagine wearing shoes in my own house, or someone else's.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #994 on: August 14, 2020, 03:29:26 PM »

Depends on the food you want to cook.  We keep three main types of rice around the house:

Jasmine rice (your general all-purpose rice for most Chinese food or typical western dishes that use rice, smells great when cooking it)
Basmati rice (kinda fluffier and long grain - used in a lot of Indian/pakistani dishes that we eat)
polished short grain Japanese rice (used for sushi and sticky rice dishes, but can also be substituted for risotto rice in a pinch)

We also usually have a medium grain brown rice . . . which tastes like shit on it's own, but gets mixed into the other rices when they're heavily spiced or served with a strong flavoured sauce/stew/curry to add more fiber.  Brown rice is totally optional though, but it's important to have the three above.  At least for the food we cook.

As far as beans:
- Brown lentils (great in soups)
- Red lentils (great in dal)
- Chickpeas (channa masala)
- Navy beans (your generic all-purpose bean - great for baked beans among other stuff)
- Butter beans (like giant navy beans)
- Kidney beans (chili)
- Pinto beans / black eyed peas (bean variety!)

Beans are pretty chill.  You can substitute most beans for one another in recipes.  Any any meal with a sauce can always take some random beans for extra protein and fiber.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Grocery shopping
« Reply #995 on: August 14, 2020, 03:54:52 PM »

The ones I keep on hand in quantity.
Black beans
10 bean mix
Jasmine rice
Basmati rice

My understanding is that jasmine rice holds up better than other rices.

Special rice like a wild rice mix or black rice I only keep a small amount on hand as we do not go through it fast enough.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:59:01 PM by the_fixer »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #996 on: August 14, 2020, 04:35:10 PM »
I am looking at products like this: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=beans%20and%20rice

There are many brands and I would like to know what brands people use that are not overly salty. I love salt but some of these things are over the top nasty. Plus, I have HBP and should steer clear of anything over the top.

Just had a doctor check up and all is good on blood work etc. So I would like to continue that!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #997 on: August 14, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »
I am looking at products like this: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=beans%20and%20rice

There are many brands and I would like to know what brands people use that are not overly salty. I love salt but some of these things are over the top nasty. Plus, I have HBP and should steer clear of anything over the top.

Just had a doctor check up and all is good on blood work etc. So I would like to continue that!

We don't eat pre-packaged stuff like that.  It's very expensive and usually not all that good for you.  Are you just looking for recipes, or does it need to be packaged?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #998 on: August 14, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
I have jasmine rice, arborio rice, brown rice, (which I think tastes fine), yellow rice mix ( I like the kind that comes in a bag but that has chicken flavoring so I buy the kind that comes in a box so the vegetarian can eat it) and flavored wild rice mix, like Uncle Bens but the Aldi version.

I have pinto beans (our most eaten bean), lentils, navy beans, and 16 bean soup mix.

I have canned garbonzos, black beans, cannolinni beans, and chili beans, all Aldi brand.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #999 on: August 14, 2020, 05:14:49 PM »

I don't buy the pre-mixed packages so I can't offer advice. We buy plain rice (I like short-grain brown rice and white basmati rice) and plain dry beans (black beans are my favorite, but pinto, garbanzo, and great Northern are also very good and versatile).