Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 111073 times)

Cgbg

• Stubble
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #1000 on: August 14, 2020, 05:36:44 PM »
I buy most of my beans in bulk instead of using canned beans.

Pinto beans (buy in 25 lb bag from Costco) - used for burritos or Refried beans.
Black beans - bulk bins - use for roasted sweet potato and bell pepper dish, and for taco bowls or breakfast scrambles
Navy beans - bulk bins - used mostly for a rosemary potato bean soup but I’ve been known to use them in burritos too
Kidney beans - bulk bins- use for chili
Garbanzo beans - bulk bins - used mostly for Indian dishes but I also like a Spanish bean soup and of course hummus
Soy beans - bulk bins- for making soy milk

I buy jasmine rice from Costco. It’s a big bag. Only other rice I tend to buy is Arborio which I use for a pumpkin risotto.

I also buy split peas, lentils, red lentils, couscous and quinoa from the bulk bins.

I use an instant pot pressure cooker to cook dry beans (except navy; those need to be soaked first) and generally they take about a half hour of mindless cooking time. I have a culinary bay leaf plant in my yard and I pop a bay leaf in when the beans are pressure cooking. It imparts a nice flavor.

I store it all in large glass canning jars. I use a food saver vacuum sealer attachment to suck the air out. I store pasta that way too. I have a large pantry room in the basement with metal racks.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Grocery shopping
« Reply #1001 on: August 14, 2020, 06:48:46 PM »
I am looking at products like this: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=beans%20and%20rice

There are many brands and I would like to know what brands people use that are not overly salty. I love salt but some of these things are over the top nasty. Plus, I have HBP and should steer clear of anything over the top.

Just had a doctor check up and all is good on blood work etc. So I would like to continue that!
Sorry we stick to bulk non prepared items.

Items we bought in bulk and vacuum packed for storage

Although every few years I will buy a box of rice a roni for nostalgia since that was fancy dinner when I was a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 06:53:53 PM by the_fixer »

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: August 14, 2020, 09:19:57 PM »
I am looking at products like this: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=beans%20and%20rice

There are many brands and I would like to know what brands people use that are not overly salty. I love salt but some of these things are over the top nasty. Plus, I have HBP and should steer clear of anything over the top.

Just had a doctor check up and all is good on blood work etc. So I would like to continue that!

https://www.moneycrashers.com/easy-rice-beans-recipes/

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1003 on: August 15, 2020, 05:03:31 AM »
Yeah, you won't find many people here who buy prepared/processed rice and beans. I didn't even know that existed.

I started with canned beans, and then when I got a pressure cooker, I switched to dried beans.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1004 on: August 15, 2020, 07:14:19 AM »
Yeah, you won't find many people here who buy prepared/processed rice and beans. I didn't even know that existed.

I started with canned beans, and then when I got a pressure cooker, I switched to dried beans.

I was just thinking yesterday that I need to get a pressure cooker....I just didn't realize that it was possible to get smallish ones and turns out it is.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1005 on: August 15, 2020, 07:57:04 AM »

I was just thinking yesterday that I need to get a pressure cooker....I just didn't realize that it was possible to get smallish ones and turns out it is.

Pressure cookers should just be called bean machines.  They're perfectly designed for preparing dry beans quickly . . . it's the task that ours is used for 95% of the time.  Not having to remember to soak the night before is a luxury!

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #1006 on: August 15, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
I love my instant pot pressure cookers. They make a 3-qt one which is reasonably compact.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1007 on: August 15, 2020, 08:29:01 AM »
What's with the taking off of shoes in the house?  I take off my shoes when I enter most houses, especially my own, but it has absolutely nothing to do with covid.  Unless you work in a hospital, in the covid ward, I wouldn't think your shoes are a problem.

Nothing to do with covid.  Not taking shoes off when you enter a house is a clear indication that you're a sub-human monster who should be shunned from society.  How the fuck do you keep a house clean if you're tracking in dirt from outside every time you come in?

:P

I sent a stern email to our school board when they were talking about extending the in-school dress code to the virtual learning at home (slippers/flipflops/etc are strictly banned).

I'm fine with kid wearing shirt, pants and socks to "class" Zoom meetings, but nobody is going to make us wear outside shoes in the house.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1008 on: August 15, 2020, 10:23:41 AM »
Let's get back to grocery shopping!

What kind of rice and beans do you buy? I want to stock up for the pandemic but never have really purchased that before. I do not want an overly salty brand. I like spicy stuff but can always add cayenne or red baby flakes. I think it would be good to have on hand but don't know what to purchase. There are many brands out there!

I meant to say crushed red pepper flakes.

I have not bought rice and beans as a dry mix, so I can't speak to that. But I do buy yellow rice, because that is pretty much a Florida/Cuban staple, and it's more expensive to buy saffron than to buy the mix, and it never tastes like my childhood if I make it from scratch. I like both Goya and Zatarains, and Goya has pissed me off recently plus again, their yellow rice has chicken flavoring in it. (And I really prefer some stuff that comes in a little bag that I can't get here, but that's because that's what my mom bought.)

But beans and rice need more beans, IMO, than you'd get in a box mix.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1009 on: August 15, 2020, 12:36:44 PM »
We don't eat many carbs these days, but when we do, I like Lundberg white basmati rice. I've been keeping a couple pounds of dried black beans around as well, as a pandemic contingency thing, and also some Rosarita canned refried beans, because refried beans are kind of a comfort food for DH and me.  I also have some red lentils around for the occasional batch of dahl, and some green split peas for split pea soup.

Neverminding the cost and extra packaging, I don't normally enjoy the seasonings in those types of mixes.  The basic ingredients are much more versatile, and cooking in an Instant Pot, there's really a negligible savings of time/labor.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1010 on: August 15, 2020, 01:59:49 PM »
We don't eat many carbs these days, but when we do, I like Lundberg white basmati rice. I've been keeping a couple pounds of dried black beans around as well, as a pandemic contingency thing, and also some Rosarita canned refried beans, because refried beans are kind of a comfort food for DH and me.  I also have some red lentils around for the occasional batch of dahl, and some green split peas for split pea soup.

Neverminding the cost and extra packaging, I don't normally enjoy the seasonings in those types of mixes.  The basic ingredients are much more versatile, and cooking in an Instant Pot, there's really a negligible savings of time/labor.

Have to confess, Office Space predjudiced me against Lundberg rice.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1011 on: August 15, 2020, 09:16:51 PM »
Le sigh.  I would really like to purchase some Lysol wipes. Haven’t seen them since I last bought them on sale at Costco in February.  This is something I have been using regularly for years and I am getting twitchy now that I am getting low.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1012 on: August 16, 2020, 05:02:09 AM »
Le sigh.  I would really like to purchase some Lysol wipes. Haven’t seen them since I last bought them on sale at Costco in February.  This is something I have been using regularly for years and I am getting twitchy now that I am getting low.

You can easily make your own reusable wipes.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1013 on: August 16, 2020, 07:44:37 AM »
like both Goya and Zatarains, and Goya has pissed me off recently plus again, their yellow rice has chicken flavoring in it. (And I really prefer some stuff that comes in a little bag that I can't get here, but that's because that's what my mom bought.)

Goya pissed me off with the whole "using the Oval Office to sell our brand of beans" thing.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1014 on: August 16, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »

I am not at a place in my life where I am going to manage a reusable wipe “system” of having to remember to make them, store them and store the used ones until laundry day and repeat that for every bathroom and the kitchen.  It just isn’t going to happen.  I will be switching to some kind of spray cleaner and paper towels if I can’t get my preferred product. 

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1015 on: August 16, 2020, 10:44:27 AM »
I am not at a place in my life where I am going to manage a reusable wipe “system” of having to remember to make them, store them and store the used ones until laundry day and repeat that for every bathroom and the kitchen.  It just isn’t going to happen.  I will be switching to some kind of spray cleaner and paper towels if I can’t get my preferred product.

I much prefer the "spray cleaner + paper towel" solution to the disposable wipe canisters. It's much more economical to buy the $3 64oz containers of lysol concentrate, and dilute 1/4 cup of that with water in a spray bottle, and use paper towels as necessary.  Maybe one canister of disposable wipes for "on-the-go" might be useful... but for home use, I've found it's just cheaper to dilute lysol and use paper towels.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1016 on: August 16, 2020, 02:55:08 PM »

If you can go to Costco for the early opening hours for seniors and compromised immunity people, etc., they have had flats of 6 pack Lysol wipes out at 8 am.   If you can't go, do you know someone who can?    I got some in London a couple of weeks ago - I was there at 8:15, and the flat was already almost empty.    I have been passing out some to friends, since we don't need 6 tubs of 100 wipes each.  Even during a pandemic we don't use that many! 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1017 on: August 16, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »

I literally just stuffed a bunch of bamboo paper towels in the Lysol wipe tub with cleaning solution in it.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1018 on: August 16, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »

I don't really understand the problem. Why can't you just spray a surface with the disinfectant or cleaner of your choise, wipe it with a cloth (we use old socks and undies here at the mouser house, if you want to get fancy with it you can use suuuuper cheap dish towels) and throw them in the laundry? I don't see the need for some elaborate "system". Have been doing this for a good decade and haven't experienced any major inconvenience or health issue with it. Plus, did I mention it's cheaper AND doesn't generate trash?

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1019 on: August 16, 2020, 06:59:28 PM »
As a total aside it is really astounding to me the number of people who apparently rely on Lysol brand wipes to maintain their households, especially in the MMM forums... Here I've been just wiping down my kitchen surfaces with some diluted vinegar and a rag. Guess I'm gonna get the 'rona...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1020 on: August 16, 2020, 09:04:59 PM »
As a total aside it is really astounding to me the number of people who apparently rely on Lysol brand wipes to maintain their households, especially in the MMM forums... Here I've been just wiping down my kitchen surfaces with some diluted vinegar and a rag. Guess I'm gonna get the 'rona...
[/quote

I use a bit of dish detergent on a damp paper towel.  Half of what I am wiping up is greasy so the dish detergent is very effective.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1021 on: August 16, 2020, 09:39:32 PM »

Habit.  I've been using wipes to clean in the kitchen and bathroom for years.  Has nothing to do with the 'rona.  It's just easy and mindless - and costs less than $20 a year, so it's not something I've given much thought to changing yet.

I literally just stuffed a bunch of bamboo paper towels in the Lysol wipe tub with cleaning solution in it.

Do you have a brand recommendation?  I've never heard of bamboo paper towels, but they sound cool.  I've been ratcheting down my paper towel use lately.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: August 16, 2020, 10:17:24 PM »

Meh, whatever.  I am comfortable with my choice here, it has nothing to do with corona.  We all make choices on where we want to spend our life energy and collecting and laundering cleaning rags does not rate for me.  My carbon footprint is very low compared to the majority of westerners so my conscience is clear. 

I don’t happen to generate “rags” in any quantity sufficient to use for house cleaning.  Seriously, what are you all doing to your clothing that has you generating rags?  I keep my clothes, including underwear, for years and what few pieced of clothes I retire (like zero this year to date), if of an absorbent fibre, they get put into my art studio, and usually only last a week or two and then it is back to shop towels. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1023 on: August 17, 2020, 03:50:00 AM »

Habit.  I've been using wipes to clean in the kitchen and bathroom for years.  Has nothing to do with the 'rona.  It's just easy and mindless - and costs less than $20 a year, so it's not something I've given much thought to changing yet.

Do you have a brand recommendation?  I've never heard of bamboo paper towels, but they sound cool.  I've been ratcheting down my paper towel use lately.

I think they're called "Kitchen Home", I bought two rolls a few years ago, then two more last year. I use them as paper towels, but also as dish cloths, wash cloths, etc.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1024 on: August 17, 2020, 04:19:56 AM »

Meh, whatever.  I am comfortable with my choice here, it has nothing to do with corona.  We all make choices on where we want to spend our life energy and collecting and laundering cleaning rags does not rate for me.  My carbon footprint is very low compared to the majority of westerners so my conscience is clear. 

I don’t happen to generate “rags” in any quantity sufficient to use for house cleaning.  Seriously, what are you all doing to your clothing that has you generating rags?  I keep my clothes, including underwear, for years and what few pieced of clothes I retire (like zero this year to date), if of an absorbent fibre, they get put into my art studio, and usually only last a week or two and then it is back to shop towels.

It only takes one raggedy bath towel to be cut up into a year’s worth of washable cleaning rags.

I don’t have a “system”, just a laundry basket.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1025 on: August 17, 2020, 04:38:26 AM »
Just buy the baby wipes, Walmart brand, and saturate them with rubbing alcohol and you have wipes for your kitchen and bathroom needs. Someone already bitched me out for using baby wipes because they couldn't find any for their baby. Well, Walmart seems to have plenty of them any time I order them. I also use the baby wipes straight from the package (no alcohol) to wipe my elderly, sick dogs butt.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1026 on: August 17, 2020, 05:14:19 AM »

Nope, but they are handy to have in the car or in my purse during flu (and now COVID) season. There are other purposes for them beyond housecleaning.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1027 on: August 17, 2020, 05:41:49 AM »

Nope, but they are handy to have in the car or in my purse during flu (and now COVID) season. There are other purposes for them beyond housecleaning.

Agree, I bring my alcohol soaked wipes in the car and in a plastic bag when I go to the grocery store or any store.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1028 on: August 17, 2020, 05:44:50 AM »

Agree, I bring my alcohol soaked wipes in the car and in a plastic bag when I go to the grocery store or any store.
I've been using  a soapy face cloth in a tupperware box.  Cheaper and more environmentally friendly.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1029 on: August 17, 2020, 07:40:15 AM »
Just buy the baby wipes, Walmart brand, and saturate them with rubbing alcohol and you have wipes for your kitchen and bathroom needs. Someone already bitched me out for using baby wipes because they couldn't find any for their baby. Well, Walmart seems to have plenty of them any time I order them. I also use the baby wipes straight from the package (no alcohol) to wipe my elderly, sick dogs butt.

That is an interesting option, and one I will try.  Shock horror, I also purchase and use a case of Kirkland Baby wipes annually (and I don’t have a baby), nothing is better than baby wipes for getting oil paint out from under your fingernails, or for cleaning off a painting palette.

Someone had mentioned specifically why Lysol wipes, the answer is simple, Lysol is the brand sold by Costco in Canada.  I used to use the Kirkland wipes which came in a bag container like their baby wipes, loved those and still would prefer over Lysol brand because the quality was higher, but Costco seems to have discontinued those years ago in favour of the Lysol brand. 

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1030 on: August 17, 2020, 07:47:51 AM »
You can't get rubbing alcohol.  I asked the girl in Meijer's shifty acres and she told me that they haven't been able to get a shipment for the last 3 months.  The COVID hoarders are buying it all up.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1031 on: August 17, 2020, 07:54:54 AM »

Fair enough! I definitely have my fair share of convenience purchases that disproportionately add to my footprint- a few frozen meals here and there (I'm a sucker for egg rolls) and too much meat purchasing lately come to mind.

My clothes don't generally wear out but my husband is really good at getting holes in his socks. Personally I prefer cutting up a bath towel or something as someone else said; I mentioned old clothes for cleaning/wiping but their texture isn't really great for absorbing/wiping. We also have a few off-brand cheapo microfiber cloths for cleaning in our kitchen.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1032 on: August 17, 2020, 08:01:28 AM »

That is an interesting option, and one I will try.  Shock horror, I also purchase and use a case of Kirkland Baby wipes annually (and I don’t have a baby), nothing is better than baby wipes for getting oil paint out from under your fingernails, or for cleaning off a painting palette.

Someone had mentioned specifically why Lysol wipes, the answer is simple, Lysol is the brand sold by Costco in Canada.  I used to use the Kirkland wipes which came in a bag container like their baby wipes, loved those and still would prefer over Lysol brand because the quality was higher, but Costco seems to have discontinued those years ago in favour of the Lysol brand.
Costco sells wipes under their Kirkland label. I was able to score a case a couple of months ago, which went straight to my MIL's board & Care home. They're packed like baby wipes, which they have virtually every time I go there. I finally bought a case of those last week, because I haven't seen disinfectant wipes more recently. My Costco brother says they come and go. Someone mentioned that Office Max gets them, but I checked and they're selling small packs of off brand wipes for $7.99. Pass.
FWIW, I hate the containers that Chlorox and Lysol wipes come in. Too much waste and they don't seal well once opened, so they dry out. The Kirkland ones don't.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1033 on: August 17, 2020, 08:04:26 AM »

It only takes one raggedy bath towel to be cut up into a year’s worth of washable cleaning rags.

Seriously, where the fuck are “raggedy bath towels” coming from?  I purchased two packs of Egyptian cotton towels from Costco 20 YEARS AGO, and they are still as good as the day I bought them, possibly a little faded in colour, but not at all near raggedy, and there is no way they are getting cut up for rags at least for another 10-20 years.  Even the cheaper ones I bought for washing the dog 10 years ago are still not near being raggedy.

I am not lying when I say that I am not producing any real amounts of “rag material”.  And even if I did, I would still not be switching to a cleaning system that required me to collect, store and launder cleaning rags.  It is not how I choose to use my life energy.  You do you, and I’ll do me I guess.  I am perfectly comfortable with this choice, and I know that my carbon footprint is in so low compared to my peers that I have no issues with this at all.  Kinda like how so many around here justify multiple international vacations/year ;). I’ll take my kitchen wipes over a long haul flight any day. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1034 on: August 17, 2020, 08:06:19 AM »
There is also a Lysol concentrate that is extremely strong and could be used on the wipes too. Just mix with water and saturate the wipes with it. That is hard to come by and I really do not like the aroma. The Hub uses it on incoming packages in a spray bottle. I have had no trouble getting rubbing alcohol.

Costco has the Kirkland wipes now and then in USA. I have bought them but right now when I try to purchase them, it is telling me that it is out of stock or not in my area code.

There are other disinfectants too like Pine Sol.

Yes Fire Artist, ~shudder~ I also have no kids and use my baby wipes on a dogs butt! The horror!

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: August 17, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »
I haven’t seen Kirkland brand wipes in Costco here in Canada in years, but there was up until Covid, always an abundance of Lysol ones.  I suspected that there was an agreement with Costco Canada and Lysol, but it sounds like even in the US that supply chain has not been consistent pre COVID.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1036 on: August 17, 2020, 08:15:45 AM »
Just found this about Pine Sol:

reply from Pine-Sol team - 23 days ago
Hello, and thank you for asking. Our Pine-Sol Original Multi-Surface Cleaner doesn't meet the criteria of the EPA Emerging Viral Pathogen Policy. This policy determines whether disinfectants that meet certain efficacy criteria can be considered effective against COVID-19. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at 800-227-1860 and mention reference number 200724-001154. Thank you for allowing us to help. Monique with the Pine-Sol team

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #1037 on: August 17, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »
You can't get rubbing alcohol.  I asked the girl in Meijer's shifty acres and she told me that they haven't been able to get a shipment for the last 3 months.  The COVID hoarders are buying it all up.
I was able to get it at Walmart multiple times over the last month.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1038 on: August 17, 2020, 08:56:23 AM »
I was able to get it at Walmart multiple times over the last month.

I just got it at Target.  They were completely stocked on it and I didn't even go first thing in the morning!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1039 on: August 17, 2020, 11:21:00 AM »

Seriously, where the fuck are “raggedy bath towels” coming from?  I purchased two packs of Egyptian cotton towels from Costco 20 YEARS AGO, and they are still as good as the day I bought them, possibly a little faded in colour, but not at all near raggedy, and there is no way they are getting cut up for rags at least for another 10-20 years.  Even the cheaper ones I bought for washing the dog 10 years ago are still not near being raggedy.

I am not lying when I say that I am not producing any real amounts of “rag material”.  And even if I did, I would still not be switching to a cleaning system that required me to collect, store and launder cleaning rags.  It is not how I choose to use my life energy.  You do you, and I’ll do me I guess.  I am perfectly comfortable with this choice, and I know that my carbon footprint is in so low compared to my peers that I have no issues with this at all.  Kinda like how so many around here justify multiple international vacations/year ;). I’ll take my kitchen wipes over a long haul flight any day.

I do not know where my ratty towels came from. I did have more people living here at some points. I can't remember buying towels in a long, long time, but I did clean out a whole bunch of them a few years ago. I shipped off some baby towels to the current baby. I donated some to the animal shelter. I kept some for cleaning purposes. I suspect that some of these went to college and back. I just cleaned out a closet and found a beach towel that I don't remember ever seeing before.

I haven't flown in this millennium. maybe aliens are dropping off towels in my house?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1040 on: August 17, 2020, 12:19:13 PM »

The Costco towels we have (2 of them) are great.

The bath towels we had when we got married, or got for our wedding (24 years ago) from Kmart, not so much.  The crappy beach towels we bought in Myrtle beach? Same.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: August 19, 2020, 03:33:54 PM »
New category of items that seems to be out of stock, at least on the west side of Denver: Asian Ingredients. It's Pad Thai night on our monthly rotation of dinners and for the past 2 weeks I've been trying to find pad thai rice noodles and oyster sauce. I have now gone to 5 stores and no oyster sauce to be found. I've gone to Target, Sprouts, King Soopers, Safeway, and Natural Grocers. It's crazy! I just got rice noodles at Natural Grocers, but I haven't been able to find oyster sauce anywhere. I can see the empty spot on the shelves where it is supposed to be but it is just empty. There are also a lot of other sauces and ingredients in that area that are empty as well.

At the beginning of the supply chain issues we actually had more asian dishes than normal because that was one of the few aisles that it looked like no one had touched. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to make something else with the pork I thawed out for tonight :(

*I have not gone to an asian market or whole foods yet, because both require me to drive to them. Whole foods is within my normal driving distance, so I'll check there the next time I need to go to either Target or Sprouts, but the closest asian market is in an area I never go to.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1042 on: August 19, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »
I've noticed a soy sauce shortage, as well as chili paste, etc here in small town CO. Also when I was in AZ I noticed it as well. I ordered a 1/2 gallon of soy sauce online when I noticed it was missing from stores. Noodles of all varieties seem to be in short supply as well.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1043 on: August 19, 2020, 04:56:41 PM »
Non Grocery Comment - Mostly

I went into a bicycle shop and noted the inventory was way down.  The guys fixing the bikes said that they are not getting replacement stuff from China.

I walked around Meijer's Shifty Acres and noted that the electronics inventory was way down.  The guys across the electronics counter said they are not getting replacement stuff from China.

Is the stuff that is in short supply made overseas?  I can see some things being in short supply due to abnormal demand like masks were for a while, but some of the shortages seem quite odd.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1044 on: August 19, 2020, 06:54:47 PM »
I would guess that in both those categories demand is up, and not just in the US, while supply and shipping are both slower than normal.

I ventured into my neighborhood IGA for the first time since June, and some aisles are still pretty picked over - soup, noodle mixes, cleaning stuff and paper products. There was something available in all those categories but not a lot of selection.

Good meat sales, though.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1045 on: August 20, 2020, 09:18:19 AM »
Okay, this is disgusting! I had a Peapod delivery yesterday and had about $300 worth of groceries arrive. As I was unpacking my groceries, I looked at the 2 packages of ground meat I ordered and it was brownish and some red meat. It kind of smelled off too. The expiration date was Aug. 21. There was no way I was going to eat that disgusting looking meat. I have heard that butchers will remix older ground beef with some new meat to try to sell it. I don't know if that is the case but I threw it in the garbage and called customer service and complained. They took off the cost of the meat from my order. That really makes me mad! It wasn't cheap meat either. I think it was $4.49 a lb. It was $11 worth of meat that went into the trash!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1046 on: August 20, 2020, 10:19:41 AM »
Sams Club this morning for the first time since June. I got a 5 pack of Clorox Wipes! I haven’t seen any since March, and they were practically flying out of the store. LOL That should last me forever, and dh can take some to work.

Still no yeast. Only two varieties of tp, and limited to 1 pkg/customer. Limits on pasta. Plenty of meat, but not lunchmeat.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1047 on: August 20, 2020, 11:52:19 AM »
Ground beef prices are still low.  Kroger is selling 3 pound packages for $5.97.  I'd love to stock up my supply, but I already did weeks ago when they were on the same sale.  I guess the meat shortage was overblown and shorter lived than expected.  They are cranking the meat out, and it's cheaper than it was before.  Time for another burger night.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1048 on: August 20, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »
My weird thing that has been missing for months: Grape Nuts and its generic equivalent. The generic went first and I had to buy the expensive name brand for a couple of weeks. Then no name brand since at least June.  I doubt demand is up for Grape Nuts, but supply must just be bizarre.  Are they making any?  I haven't really looked beyond my one store as I haven't been sufficiently motivated, but wouldn't that be even weirder if it was just my store?

TrMama

« Reply #1049 on: August 20, 2020, 12:01:38 PM »
Vegetable seeds for gardens are in short supply here. The most popular brand is grown locally so it's not a shipping issue, but a demand issue. Everyone is suddenly growing a Covid veggie garden as a hedge against supply chain issues.

I'm one of these new, or newly expanded, gardeners and my garden is going to have some interesting varieties of veg because those were the seeds I was able to get. I'm also saving seeds from a couple plants so I won't have to look for them in the spring.