Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 99341 times)

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Twitter
« Reply #650 on: July 04, 2023, 01:33:50 PM »
A second problem - where is the "new data" section of Wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges?hidebots=1&hidecategorization=1&hideWikibase=1&namespace=0&limit=500&days=30&urlversion=2

Dozens of pages edited every minute. It's truly a marvelous human achievement.

I always see new content added to existing pages.  When you visit a page, you get everything together - the old data and new data.  It's not clear how you would scrape Wikipedia and only download new content.  There may be solutions for Reddit or Twitter, but those solutions require additional effort and testing by a software engineer paid $1,000 a day to save $170 per TB.

How fresh do you want the data to be? How much CPU time do you want to burn? The crawling strategy matters. Using Wikipedia as an example you could just start at the main page, randomly follow links, and repeat indefinitely. You'll eventually get some version of all the pages in your database that way, but you'll be burning a lot of CPU time and bandwidth re-crawling pages where you already have the latest version. Simply tweak the amount of cloud resources up or down based on your budget and the average frequency of crawling each page will be adjusted accordingly.

If you want to make sure you have every page up to date within the past 24 hours, with the naive strategy you'll need to crawl every page on the entire site every day, and again most of the time it will be many hours before new changes show up in your data set. Change the crawler to follow the list of recent changes and you only need to crawl the pages that have changed today. Most won't be! And furthermore by using this data feed to queue up the recent changes you'll generally be able to pull in changes within a few minutes after they happen, for much fresher data. That's what you pay the software engineer for.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #651 on: July 04, 2023, 02:22:58 PM »
And ChatGPT does not need the newest data - it will be weeks if not month until the training is finished anyway, a few hours more or less don't make a difference.

but those solutions require additional effort and testing by a software engineer paid $1,000 a day to save $170 per TB.
Does Wikipedia still sell itself on DVD?
Since ChatGPT only uses text, it's a remarkebly small size. They could buy a DVD and get it in the post 2 days later for a few bucks without any webtraffic or complicated algos. Now THAT is efficiency!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #652 on: July 05, 2023, 07:16:05 AM »
Meta smells blood, launches "Threads" app to compete with the currently weakened Twitter.
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/threads-meta-owned-app-set-twitter/story?id=100659749

I was actually hoping for a cage fight. What we got instead was more social media fragmentation.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #653 on: July 05, 2023, 08:56:51 AM »
A second problem - where is the "new data" section of Wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges?hidebots=1&hidecategorization=1&hideWikibase=1&namespace=0&limit=500&days=30&urlversion=2

Dozens of pages edited every minute. It's truly a marvelous human achievement.
That's a really good starting point, with only changed pages.  When I clicked the "diff" link for a controverisal political figure, I wasn't just shown the difference.  I was shown the difference at the top of the complete page.  So the new and old content are still mixed, but you can avoid unchanged parts of Wikipedia since the prior visit / crawl.  I have no idea how often OpenAI crawled / crawls Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Marjorie_Taylor_Greene&curid=64229388&diff=1163554633&oldid=1163554253

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #654 on: July 05, 2023, 09:15:37 AM »
Meta smells blood, launches "Threads" app to compete with the currently weakened Twitter.
Zuckerberg is a bit of a robot, no?  The picture I get is of thrashing around like the end of the original Terminator.

And ChatGPT does not need the newest data - it will be weeks if not month until the training is finished anyway, a few hours more or less don't make a difference.

but those solutions require additional effort and testing by a software engineer paid $1,000 a day to save $170 per TB.
Since ChatGPT only uses text, it's a remarkebly small size. They could buy a DVD and get it in the post 2 days later for a few bucks without any webtraffic or complicated algos. Now THAT is efficiency!
Maybe today, they could sell a hard drive worth?  Latest I found was a 2019 estimate that Wikipedia takes 5TB of disk space.  Fastest business plans in San Francisco (OpenAI's locatioN) are 5000 Mbps, or 0.625 GB/sec.  So maybe 3 hours to download all of Wikipedia on a business internet plan.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mirroring_Wikimedia_project_XML_dumps/estimates

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #655 on: July 05, 2023, 09:32:41 AM »
Zuckerberg is a bit of a robot, no?  The picture I get is of thrashing around like the end of the original Terminator.

Maybe today, they could sell a hard drive worth?  Latest I found was a 2019 estimate that Wikipedia takes 5TB of disk space.  Fastest business plans in San Francisco (OpenAI's locatioN) are 5000 Mbps, or 0.625 GB/sec.  So maybe 3 hours to download all of Wikipedia on a business internet plan.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mirroring_Wikimedia_project_XML_dumps/estimates
Yeah, 5TB with pictures, thats why I was mentioning them. In pure text (and without cangelog) 5TB would be billions of books. Literally several billion of them. The bible (not the smallest of books) in epub is a mere 1,6MB and html pushes that up to 4,4MB ( https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10 )

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #656 on: July 05, 2023, 07:09:46 PM »
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/threads-meta-owned-app-set-twitter/story?id=100659749

I was actually hoping for a cage fight. What we got instead was more social media fragmentation.

wait was the zuckerberg - musk fight cancelled?  Who backed out?

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #657 on: July 06, 2023, 08:31:51 AM »

Musk's mother stepped in and stopped it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #658 on: July 06, 2023, 08:49:27 AM »

Zuckerberg is legitimately training and competing in Brazilian jiu jitsu.  My money's on him in a fight.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #659 on: July 06, 2023, 09:21:59 AM »

Zuckerberg is legitimately training and competing in Brazilian jiu jitsu.  My money's on him in a fight.

Elon's supermodel mummy said he's not allowed to fight young (Silicon) Valley boys trained in non-European fighting methods. Have to maintain that apartheid xenophobia. Got to maintain those cultivated standards and reputation.

My money's on Zuck too. But I was hoping Elon would land a couple of good punches and kicks too.

Talked the talk, yet to walk the walk. Good 'ol fashioned pugilism between capitalism's elite would probably draw the largest crowd. Livestream it on social media, bypassing the MSM.

'Tis a pity that it'd get limited views on Twitter due to the current tweet viewing restriction policy by the UberTwit.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #660 on: July 06, 2023, 09:44:05 AM »

Elon's supermodel mummy said he's not allowed to fight young (Silicon) Valley boys trained in non-European fighting methods. Have to maintain that apartheid xenophobia. Got to maintain those cultivated standards and reputation.

My money's on Zuck too. But I was hoping Elon would land a couple of good punches and kicks too.

Talked the talk, yet to walk the walk. Good 'ol fashioned pugilism between capitalism's elite would probably draw the largest crowd. Livestream it on social media, bypassing the MSM.

'Tis a pity that it'd get limited views on Twitter due to the current tweet viewing restriction policy by the UberTwit.

Fight needs to be held on neutral turf, Myspace will host

ETA: I thought you guys just made this up until I googled

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: July 06, 2023, 12:10:36 PM »
They should go the classical way, with duel pistols, one hand in the back and outstretched arms, shooting on 3. 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #662 on: July 06, 2023, 04:53:03 PM »
LOL. Twitter's lawyers are writing comedy, who needs ChatGPT/AI?

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: July 06, 2023, 06:40:43 PM »
If this were a scripted show on HBO they’d say it was too crazy. Wow!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #664 on: July 06, 2023, 07:51:36 PM »
C'mon Elon.  Are these employees you fired useless dead weight losers, or geniuses who know the most intricate workings of Twitter and can easily duplicate it?  Pick a lane.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #665 on: July 07, 2023, 07:32:37 AM »
Couldn't basically anyone with a passing familiarity with coding write a clone of twitter? It's not particularly complex as far as I can tell. Hell, the old BBS systems from the 80s and early 90s were pretty much the same thing, if you set aside the need to call in one or two at a time on a modem.

When people predicted twitter would stop working when Musk fired a bunch of people I thought that was silly. It's equally silly to think Twitter would be hard to clone without inside knowledge.

Plus, Truth Social is an obvious Twitter clone. Why aren't they being sued?

-W

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #666 on: July 07, 2023, 07:51:04 AM »
Couldn't basically anyone with a passing familiarity with coding write a clone of twitter?
You mean something like Mastodon? (btw. me: https://mastodon.social/@LennStar )

Probably because that one worked so bad  (at least at start) Elon thought about buying the real one :D

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #667 on: July 07, 2023, 08:37:27 AM »
C'mon Elon.  Are these employees you fired useless dead weight losers, or geniuses who know the most intricate workings of Twitter and can easily duplicate it?  Pick a lane.

Muskrat's got one leg in each lane, he's split, and loving getting kicked in the nuts. So much winning that he's tired of it.

Couldn't basically anyone with a passing familiarity with coding write a clone of twitter? It's not particularly complex as far as I can tell. Hell, the old BBS systems from the 80s and early 90s were pretty much the same thing, if you set aside the need to call in one or two at a time on a modem.

When people predicted twitter would stop working when Musk fired a bunch of people I thought that was silly. It's equally silly to think Twitter would be hard to clone without inside knowledge.

-W

It's about the money. Truth Social doesn't make money, or barely anything. Zuck's got megabucks, so a brazen attempt to extract settlement monies. This comment says FB/Meta has 2000+ lawyers; meanwhile Twitter is down to 1500 employees from a peak of 7500, and their legal team is down to a dozen from 200. And this is Musk's personal attorney, who is doing double-shift as the Twitter attorney.

Pretty good comment here on Twitter's functions.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #668 on: July 07, 2023, 09:14:31 AM »
Can someone explain to me why it's not illegal to make a copycat, but illegal to make a copycat with workers fired from the original?

If there are any contractual obligations to not spill company secrets, than it's the employee's responsibility to not do this, not the company, because the company per definition cannot know if X is a "bound secret" or not.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #669 on: July 07, 2023, 09:27:31 AM »
Aged like milk: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592569305941807104

I would like to apologize for firing these geniuses. Their immense talent will no doubt be of great use elsewhere.
    — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 15, 2022

Watching this slow-motion Twitter-death-by-ouroboros is truly fascinating.

Reddit: Hold My Beer!

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #670 on: July 07, 2023, 10:36:15 AM »
Can someone explain to me why it's not illegal to make a copycat, but illegal to make a copycat with workers fired from the original?

If there are any contractual obligations to not spill company secrets, than it's the employee's responsibility to not do this, not the company, because the company per definition cannot know if X is a "bound secret" or not.

Not an IP lawyer, but random google search reveals a good 2015 blog post: https://www.tradesecretslaw.com/2015/09/articles/international-2/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-trade-secret-disputes-and-employment-risks/

How can companies avoid trade secret misappropriation and what should they do if they suspect misappropriation has occurred? What forensic investigation options might be available?

Wexler: Apart from civil liability, the Economic Espionage Act makes it a federal crime to steal trade secrets, and companies can be liable if they hire employees who misappropriate trade secrets for their new employers’ benefit.

What steps can companies take during the hiring process to reduce the threat that it may later be sued for trade secret misappropriation – particularly executives or those employees with higher level access to sensitive IP assets?

Milligan: Companies need to have a thoughtful, pro-active process in place when hiring employees from competitors that is calculated to ensure that new employees do not violate their lawful agreements with their former employees, including using or disclosing their former employers’ trade secrets, and retaining any of their former employers’ property. It’s important to regulate who interviews the job candidate and evaluate the candidate’s non-compete or confidentiality agreement. Advise company personnel who are interviewing the candidate not to ask about a competitor’s confidential information during the hiring process. Focus the interview on the recruit’s general skills and experience in the industry. It’s also important not to disclose company trade secrets to the candidate — be careful of the access permitted to the candidate. Candidates for employment should sign certifications that they will not disclose any trade secrets of their current employer. Additionally, make sure you analyze a recruit’s agreements in advance of an offer being made. Should the candidate accept an offer, provide clear instructions to the employee that you don’t want the former employer’s trade secrets or property and use agreements with the employee documenting the same. There are unique issues surrounding the retention and departure of high-level executives, particularly related to non-compete and trade secret issues. Since businesses can become targets of trade secret-related lawsuits if they hire executives and senior management who have worked at a competitor and misappropriate trade secrets or otherwise violate their restrictive covenants, it’s important for companies to conduct due diligence on prospective employees and make sure that they have thoughtful plan in place before bringing on any high risk hires.

ETA: I'm also amused they reccommend a thorough exit interview.  Pretty sure that didn't happen with the mass firings!

Milligan: Additionally, a thorough exit interview should be conducted at the time any employee separates, and as part of that exit interview process, each exiting employee should be given a written reminder of their ongoing trade secret, confidentiality and social networking obligations, and should be asked to sign the reminder acknowledging receipt and their agreement to comply with such obligations. The exit interview is also the time to get company property returned by the departing employee and make any arrangements for the return and remediation of company property on any personal devices.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 10:39:32 AM by Captain FIRE »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #671 on: July 07, 2023, 11:36:07 AM »
The basic functionality of Twitter is pretty trivial, yes. Where it gets complicated (and expensive) is scaling it up to 100+ million users. Then you have to build up the server infrastructure and optimize code to deliver content in milliseconds.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #672 on: July 07, 2023, 12:28:27 PM »
Couldn't basically anyone with a passing familiarity with coding write a clone of twitter?

Eh, not really. Someone who just finished intro to web development could probably make an app that lets people post short-form text snippets to a relational database, and shows these posts chronologically to followers upon request. It would run on a single server supporting perhaps a few thousand users.

Twitter is not that. Anytime you need to scale an app across thousands of machines running in multiple data centers, that requires some specialized skills above and beyond intro to programming. These are skills not unique to ex-Twitter engineers; Meta already had plenty of folks who can do that.

No, where the potential trade secret violations come into play is because Twitter is not just an app that shows you a chronological list of tweets from the people you're following. It has an algorithm to decide who sees what and when, finely tuned over many years to maximize engagement on the platform. Who you're following is just one of the inputs to this algorithm; you won't be shown everything the people you're following are tweeting, and you will be shown some tweets from people you're not following. Which ones to show? Why? In what order? Someone coming over from Twitter with strong insider knowledge of how Twitter answered these questions (and knowledge of things they tried that didn't work out so well) would be a major asset to someone trying to duplicate the service.

Did they poach ex-Twitter employees? Making an app that largely mimics the features of another app is (software patents notwithstanding) perfectly legal. Using insider trade secret knowledge as a shortcut to success is a different story. I know every time I've started a new job in software I've had to sign an agreement that I would promise not to a) use trade secrets from that job at a future employer, and b) use trade secrets from a previous job while working at this one.

edited to add: suppose you're an engineer with intimate knowledge of Twitter's algorithm, you're asked to implement something very similar at your next job, but asked to do it without divulging any of Twitter's trade secrets. How do you even do that? How can you realistically be expected to identify which bits of your brain are filled with general publicly-available knowledge about what a social media user might like to see, which bits are influenced by Twitter's secret information, and only use the former bits as you work? The employer and employee would be both exposing themselves to a lot of risk. Now, I'm sure there many (most?) ex-Twitter engineers don't know all that much about the feed algorithm and so there's less risk exposure there.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 12:41:30 PM by seattlecyclone »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #673 on: July 07, 2023, 12:31:59 PM »
Is hiring someone that another company fired without cause really considered 'poaching' employees?  I always thought that 'poaching' implied a concerted effort to lure employees away.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #674 on: July 07, 2023, 12:42:44 PM »
Is hiring someone that another company fired without cause really considered 'poaching' employees?  I always thought that 'poaching' implied a concerted effort to lure employees away.

Sure, perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. Apologies. The obligation to protect trade secrets at a prior employer remains regardless of who terminated the employment.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #675 on: July 07, 2023, 01:27:05 PM »
Meta already does that algorithm with FB, though, and IG too. So they already know how (for better or worse) to show people what they want. The rest of Twitter is just, like you said, a bunch of servers.

So again, it seems like it would take very limited effort.

-W

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #676 on: July 07, 2023, 07:03:25 PM »
I'd agree it should  be relatively straightforward for  *facebook* to do a clone of  twitter.  They aren't just anybody though...

and Facebook does seem to have done it fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 07:06:45 PM by scottish »

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #677 on: July 08, 2023, 03:30:53 PM »
I'd agree it should  be relatively straightforward for  *facebook* to do a clone of  twitter.  They aren't just anybody though...

and Facebook does seem to have done it fairly quickly.

Facebook used to have very similar functionality, also they probably had dabbled in it but there never really any public move away from twitter that would have made it worthwhile until recently.

This is a good move for meta, could make facebook relevant again.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #678 on: July 12, 2023, 04:49:16 PM »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #679 on: July 15, 2023, 04:26:55 PM »
File this under the "Not surprised" category: Twitter still has negative cash flow. Its ad revenue is down over 50% YOY.

Twitter's debt interest was $51M in 2021; this year, it's $1.5B*. It's not even Twitter debt, though. It's X debt. Musk could sell Tesla shares to pay off the Twitter/X debt or he could do a "Trump" and declare bankruptcy and convince the banks to write off the debt.

* https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musks-buyout-will-load-twitter-with-debt-high-leverage-ratio-11651007981
https://www.thestreet.com/technology/elon-musk-has-a-huge-twitter-debt-bill

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #680 on: July 15, 2023, 10:30:23 PM »
I'm beginning to think Elon doesn't know how to run a social media company... just a hunch...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #681 on: July 16, 2023, 04:47:32 PM »
I'm beginning to think Elon doesn't know how to run a social media company... just a hunch...

How dare you question his genius 34 dimensional chess playing mind???

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #682 on: July 16, 2023, 05:26:47 PM »

Fight needs to be held on neutral turf, Myspace will host

ETA: I thought you guys just made this up until I googled

I'm having flashbacks to that episode where Monica dates the rich guy obsessed with being the "ultimate fighting champion".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0583657/characters/nm0269463

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #683 on: July 24, 2023, 08:38:50 AM »
I've wondered for a while now if Musk is secretly trying to long con everyone by killing Twitter. I have no idea why he would want to do such a thing but so many of his actions seem overly destructive that it's the only conclusion I could come up with.

In the last week it looks like he is now rebranding Twitter to X and will be getting rid of all the birds. I feel like this is the equivalent of taking a dying animal outback and shooting it in the head. Changing a widely known brand and logo to something nondescript and indistinctive seems so damaging that I don't know how the product would survive it.

Maybe he secretly wants a $54 billion tax write off? I'm at a loss.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #684 on: July 24, 2023, 08:46:13 AM »
I've wondered for a while now if Musk is secretly trying to long con everyone by killing Twitter. I have no idea why he would want to do such a thing but so many of his actions seem overly destructive that it's the only conclusion I could come up with.

In the last week it looks like he is now rebranding Twitter to X and will be getting rid of all the birds. I feel like this is the equivalent of taking a dying animal outback and shooting it in the head. Changing a widely known brand and logo to something nondescript and indistinctive seems so damaging that I don't know how the product would survive it.

I think it is simply a product of never learning the skill of accepting and responding to criticism. He was born into the upper crust of an unequal society in South Africa and is now in the upper crust of American Society. He is stuck in a sycophantic bubble and doesn't know any better.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #685 on: July 24, 2023, 08:51:32 AM »
yeah this rebrand thing is so insanely insane that the only option, that any reasonable person can think of, is that he is intentionally killing twitter for some unknown reason.

Or this is what he's actually like and it was just better hidden when he was only worth 2 billion. I wonder if Tesla shareholders are going to demand he be replaced as CEO, this isn't good for the Tesla brand either.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #686 on: July 24, 2023, 10:14:58 AM »
yeah this rebrand thing is so insanely insane that the only option, that any reasonable person can think of, is that he is intentionally killing twitter for some unknown reason.

Or this is what he's actually like and it was just better hidden when he was only worth 2 billion. I wonder if Tesla shareholders are going to demand he be replaced as CEO, this isn't good for the Tesla brand either.
He doesn't have a controlling interest in Tesla or SpaceX anymore does he? They also seem like very well established companies that essentially don't need him anymore. Though, I suppose the same could have been said for Twitter before he bought it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #687 on: July 24, 2023, 10:48:20 AM »
I think it's pure ego. This is the same dude who tried to rebrand PayPal as X.com more than 20 years ago before Peter Thiel kicked him to the curb from PayPal for being the clueless edgelord that he was.

Remember, too, this is the same clown who deliberately named Tesla car models the S, 3, X, and Y.

All I see is an emotionally stunted man-child who's surrounded by yes men who's had a life-long hard-on for one letter of the alphabet and wanting to turn it into something "cool" and "universal", and has been sitting on the domain to do it for almost as long, and will burn everything to the ground (including his own fortune, apparently) in order to accomplish it.

Kinda sad, really.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #688 on: July 24, 2023, 11:30:26 AM »

I've seen this before on an infinitesimally smaller scale. I've beaten my head against the wall as a consultant desperately trying to explain to a new owner why a rebrand would kill the biggest element of goodwill value of the company they just bought.

I don't know what it is, but some folks just can't help themselves from pissing their name all over a brand they've bought, even if everyone they pay for advice is telling them not to. Especially when the company is doing poorly under their stewardship.

I don't get it. It might be something about the past success of the brand mocking them? It somehow psychologically separates them from the slow death of that past brand?

I honestly have no idea, I was never able to crack this particular nut as a consultant.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #689 on: July 24, 2023, 12:28:27 PM »
Now that Twitter is officially X, what do we replace the corporate verb-form "tweet" with? If I may be so bold as to propose a replacement...

"I'm live X-creting this event!"
"Did you see the latest X-cretion from [person]?"
"I spend most of my time swiping X-crement while on the can."

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #690 on: July 24, 2023, 12:29:53 PM »
Ha!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #691 on: July 24, 2023, 12:52:26 PM »
Now that Twitter is officially X, what do we replace the corporate verb-form "tweet" with? If I may be so bold as to propose a replacement...

"I'm live X-creting this event!"
"Did you see the latest X-cretion from [person]?"
"I spend most of my time swiping X-crement while on the can."
Um... I think the answer is yes and of course there will be a lot of seXting

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #692 on: July 24, 2023, 03:16:02 PM »
Remember, too, this is the same clown who deliberately named Tesla car models the S, 3, X, and Y.

OMG how did I never notice this before?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: July 24, 2023, 03:52:37 PM »

OMG how did I never notice this before?

He actually tried to name the Model 3 the Model E instead, but Ford already had the trademark for it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #695 on: July 24, 2023, 08:40:12 PM »
A simple letter isn't going to qualify for a trademark. But a specific design of an X can be trademarked. This is the X logo Meta trademarked:

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #696 on: July 24, 2023, 08:53:54 PM »
Apparently tweets are now going to be called "an X."

Yeah, it's fucked.

"Did you guys see that person's X?"

That doesn't work at all.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #697 on: July 24, 2023, 10:31:48 PM »
The operative word  is schadenfreude.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #698 on: July 25, 2023, 12:39:43 AM »
The operative word  is schadenfreude.
At the moment it's more Schadenfreudevorfreude. (The happiness before, just banged together with Schadenfreude.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #699 on: July 25, 2023, 07:21:08 AM »
I have no idea how this will play out financially for Elon. All I'm saying is that I expect to see the platform functionality improve more over the next 2 years than the last 14.  At some point, for enough features and low enough price point $5 or $8 I'll consider upgrading.

It has been 9/24 months since Musk started 'improving' Twitter.  In that time there have been significant functional losses to the service, large losses of advertising revenue, a huge slew of very expensive lawsuits (which seem to be slam dunks against the company) from improperly compensated employee layoffs, a huge slew of lawsuits from unpaid debtors, a large number of serious competitors entering the market, and a bizarre rebranding exercise that appears poised to further damage.

Curious if you still stand by this prediction?