Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 97755 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Twitter
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2022, 10:57:06 AM »
Apparently Musk is floating the idea of turning Twitter into an online payment processing service as a means to generate revenue from a source that isn't ads. This guy is all over the map. At this point it's hard to imagine a scenario where this doesn't end poorly. Part of me wonders if there could be some Plan B strategy in Musk being able to write off billions in losses against future personal income if the company is forced to declare bankruptcy.

He's already announced that Twitter could declare bankruptcy next year. So yeah, it's highly likely that he has already worked out how a bankruptcy would be beneficial for him, and that's why he is razing it and seeing what happens.

Either some kind of Phoenix rises from the ashes, or he has a contingency for it's bankruptcy, or both. Either way, he might be fucking nuts, but he's not stupid.

I just think the chance of him producing an outcome that the public is at all happy with os incredibly slim. I just don't think that matters to him.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2022, 11:17:40 AM »
Apparently Musk is floating the idea of turning Twitter into an online payment processing service as a means to generate revenue from a source that isn't ads. This guy is all over the map. At this point it's hard to imagine a scenario where this doesn't end poorly. Part of me wonders if there could be some Plan B strategy in Musk being able to write off billions in losses against future personal income if the company is forced to declare bankruptcy.

He's already announced that Twitter could declare bankruptcy next year. So yeah, it's highly likely that he has already worked out how a bankruptcy would be beneficial for him, and that's why he is razing it and seeing what happens.

Either some kind of Phoenix rises from the ashes, or he has a contingency for it's bankruptcy, or both. Either way, he might be fucking nuts, but he's not stupid.

I just think the chance of him producing an outcome that the public is at all happy with os incredibly slim. I just don't think that matters to him.
Musk has talked about the potential for bankruptcy at pretty much at all of his companies; it's just something he does, maybe to "motivate" the troops.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2022, 11:19:40 AM »

He did get forced into buying Twitter so there is some stupidity there. Well, maybe maturity or arrogance issues.

It's never a good idea to spend $1000 to save $238 on taxes but, if you're forced to spend that $1000, you might as well use it to your advantage. In this case, he might be able to use a loss carryback to cover his 2021 taxes.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2022, 11:50:58 AM »
He could have just spent the billion dollar back-out penalty and saved himself a lot of money.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2022, 01:26:01 PM »
This guy is all over the map. At this point it's hard to imagine a scenario where this doesn't end poorly.

Doesn't seem like it would be any great loss to society if Twitter did just go away either.  I have an account, and there have been a couple times here and there where it was useful.  Mostly though it's another way to mindlessly scroll and lose time I should be spending on more valuable pursuits.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2022, 01:48:41 PM »
He could have just spent the billion dollar back-out penalty and saved himself a lot of money.
That's not what the 1B breakup fee is for, it only applies in a narrow set of circumstances. The prevailing legal view among people who have been following this saga is that under the merger agreement that was negotiated, "I changed my mind" ain't one of those circumstances. Otherwise he'd have happily done it. When Twitter sued him in court, it was requesting the whole 44B, not just 1B.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2022, 02:01:50 PM »

He did get forced into buying Twitter so there is some stupidity there. Well, maybe maturity or arrogance issues.

It's never a good idea to spend $1000 to save $238 on taxes but, if you're forced to spend that $1000, you might as well use it to your advantage. In this case, he might be able to use a loss carryback to cover his 2021 taxes.

I stipulated that he is crazy. I'm not saying the move was smart, it was certainly crazy. However, I don't doubt that he has some sort of "smart" strategy to financially handle the ridiculousness he has created for himself.

Do not take my post to suggest that he's got some sort of well thought out master plan, far from it. I just think he's likely financially well prepared to roll with bankruptcy.  But as was also stated, seeming like he's prepared for bankruptcy is also one of his go-to "motivation" tactics where he makes it clear to his staff that *he* can handle bankruptcy of the company, but they can't necessarily, so they should be more motivated than he is to make shit work.

Dude's nuts. He's not stupid, at all, but crazy can act a lot like stupid.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2022, 02:11:07 PM »
Yeah, crazy. And the whoel crazyness, ruthlesness and pure stubborness might actually make a miracle. As it has before.
But miracles are not a dime a dozen, so I still think Twitter will crash dramaticly one way or the other.

This guy is all over the map. At this point it's hard to imagine a scenario where this doesn't end poorly.

Doesn't seem like it would be any great loss to society if Twitter did just go away either.  I have an account, and there have been a couple times here and there where it was useful.  Mostly though it's another way to mindlessly scroll and lose time I should be spending on more valuable pursuits.
Don't make the error of using the twitter website (or app) pure. It's nonsense. Absolute horror. Plastered with ad tweets and algorhythmic served "engaging" tweets, aka "the other side".
Use e.g twetdeck. You curate which persons you follow, and only those are shown. I use 4 columns for different purposes. You can actually have decent discussions and find a lot of valuable articles that way. Of course you can also do flame wars, if you so wish, using tweetdeck.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2022, 03:02:25 PM »

I have an account solely so I can get some IFTTT alerts for a couple home automation things. The couple times I have actually opened the app, what a cesspool of nonsense.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2022, 02:55:48 PM »
How are your popcorn reserves?

Elon announced to close down those 80% useless microservies.

As a modern person he seems to think SMS are a part of the past, so 2FA per SMS was shut down.

As a German right at the start of the carnival season, that is a clear case for a Tataa-Tataa-Tataaaaa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67YJ7ICh_Q

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2022, 03:30:42 PM »
How are your popcorn reserves?

Elon announced to close down those 80% useless microservies.

As a modern person he seems to think SMS are a part of the past, so 2FA per SMS was shut down.

As a German right at the start of the carnival season, that is a clear case for a Tataa-Tataa-Tataaaaa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67YJ7ICh_Q

What did he close down?   microservices to do what?

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2022, 03:44:54 PM »

And be the laughing stock of the MMM?  No chance :P

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2022, 05:02:32 PM »

As I understand it, the billion dollar fee was if some external force like regulatory impairment or undisclosed information caused the deal to fail.   Otherwise, he was contractually obligated to buy the company.  That's why he tried to claim that Twitter was misrepresenting their userbase.   

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2022, 05:22:38 PM »
Can any software engineers comment on the Twitter exchange that was posted yesterday or today where Musk fired a software engineer for contradicting him when he claimed that too many remote procedure calls (RPC) were causing the Android Twitter app to be slow in certain countries? The software engineer said that was false but then he also said something weird about advertiser spend that didn’t seem to make sense.

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1591961758675382272?s=46&t=DFKVENLcY5lFQTmp9MxmaQ

But it’s just amazing to see this chaos play out in real time.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 06:19:41 PM by Fru-Gal »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2022, 06:58:55 PM »
Can any software engineers comment on the Twitter exchange that was posted yesterday or today where Musk fired a software engineer for contradicting him when he claimed that too many remote procedure calls (RPC) were causing the Android Twitter app to be slow in certain countries? The software engineer said that was false but then he also said something weird about advertiser spend that didn’t seem to make sense.

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1591961758675382272?s=46&t=DFKVENLcY5lFQTmp9MxmaQ

But it’s just amazing to see this chaos play out in real time.
Both statements can be true. It's very possible that the app itself only makes, say, 5 or 6 RPCs, but each of those underlying services themselves make their own RPCs, themselves hitting services that make also their own RPCs, etc. This is called a fan-out and can either be a sign that something is deeply wrong, or that it's the best option given the constraints. Or anything in between.

Good luck determining which is which without having a full view of Twitter's engineering.

The general triangle for storing and retrieving large amounts of data goes like:
- fast: you can get your hands on it quickly
- cheap: you can retrieve it by only doing a few reads
- accurate: how up to date is it, i.e. are you not getting stale information

If you're lucky, your system will perform decently well on 2, and okay on the remaining. You'll never achieve the trifecta, but will forever reach for the best compromise.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2022, 07:22:50 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.

One of them was for two-factor authentication (via SMS I think)

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2022, 09:19:16 PM »
A bunch more technical details here…

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2022, 12:55:54 AM »

I expect the reality is less that Musk made a conscious decision to turn down these services, and more that certain services are experiencing normal levels of technical instability and the entire team of folks who knows how to fix it has been laid off or resigned. I've seen numerous tweets from employees who survived the layoff and are on their fifth manager in as many days, or who are now holding the pager for a service that they know very little about. I get the sense that Musk believes a site like Twitter is much simpler than it is, and that it should be able to stay up and running with very little human intervention. Neither thing is true.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2022, 07:02:43 AM »

I expect the reality is less that Musk made a conscious decision to turn down these services, and more that certain services are experiencing normal levels of technical instability and the entire team of folks who knows how to fix it has been laid off or resigned. I've seen numerous tweets from employees who survived the layoff and are on their fifth manager in as many days, or who are now holding the pager for a service that they know very little about. I get the sense that Musk believes a site like Twitter is much simpler than it is, and that it should be able to stay up and running with very little human intervention. Neither thing is true.

On a small business scale, I see this all the time. Business owners who are convinced that across the board, their staff are only working at 20-50% of their sustainable capacity.

I don't know how it works on the large scale, but that attitude never fares well on the small business scale.

My eyebrow raises when I start seeing heads of huge companies operating from this presumption. It's an interesting choice...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2022, 07:19:37 AM »

Free speech and speaking truth to power certainly seems important to Musk.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2022, 08:54:55 AM »

Free speech and speaking truth to power certainly seems important to Musk.

Bru, the guy's such a genius that he's already learned the entire stack, in detail, in 2 weeks. He's pored over all of the javascript, all of the microservices code (1000 of them!), all of the db tables and SQL, and even tediously examined all of the k8 shell scripts.

Being a nanomanager is hard.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2022, 09:10:58 AM »
It gets better… I love how this guy just opens up a chrome browser and chats with the CEO 😂. I mean this right here is some form of democratization. Or maybe it’s bike shedding. Imagine if we could do this with polluting industries or city planners. And then get them to make instantaneous changes.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2022, 09:14:25 AM »
There are so many cautionary tales in all of this but one of them that’s perhaps relevant for people on this forum is “smartest person in the room“ syndrome. Highly professional (and powerful/rich) people who have succeeded in one area must take care that they do not become insufferable fools everywhere else.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2022, 09:23:42 AM »
There are so many cautionary tales in all of this but one of them that’s perhaps relevant for people on this forum is “smartest person in the room“ syndrome. Highly professional (and powerful/rich) people who have succeeded in one area must take care that they do not become insufferable fools everywhere else.

I'm reading the book The Smartest Men in the Room about the rise and fall of enron, this seems very on point. Besides their accounting fraud, they were just doing dumb stuff in industries they knew nothing about because they really truly believed they were smarter than everyone else.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2022, 09:37:08 AM »

I'm reading the book The Smartest Men in the Room about the rise and fall of enron, this seems very on point. Besides their accounting fraud, they were just doing dumb stuff in industries they knew nothing about because they really truly believed they were smarter than everyone else.

In Musk's defense, he has had an awful lot of people blowing smoke up his ass and telling him what an outstanding genius at everything he does for many years now.  I wonder if he still thinks of himself as the engineer that he once was, rather than the corporate exec with an engineering background that he has been for the past couple decades.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2022, 09:57:46 AM »
It gets better… I love how this guy just opens up a chrome browser and chats with the CEO 😂. I mean this right here is some form of democratization. Or maybe it’s bike shedding. Imagine if we could do this with polluting industries or city planners. And then get them to make instantaneous changes.

That is cool but it's obviously a risk if you work for the guy.

Re: the exchange, wasn't Musk talking about the iDroid app and not the web app?

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2022, 10:03:09 AM »
Yes and there is a lot more technical detail about graphQL (similar to the RPC fanning out explanation above) and yes it was the android app so browser may not be relevant  but anyway there’s a priceless thread on it on Reddit if you’re interested in this kind of stuff — lots of funny comments.

This is really giving me flashbacks to my corporate job because honestly I dealt with complete idiots like this who had risen beyond their level of incompetence all the time. Men and women. And they would lead by fiat and you would see everyone scrambling to interpret a completely nonsensical, novel rule which at some later point would be summarily reversed. And everyone would scramble again. I had to get out.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2022, 11:50:18 AM »
Yes and there is a lot more technical detail about graphQL (similar to the RPC fanning out explanation above) and yes it was the android app so browser may not be relevant  but anyway there’s a priceless thread on it on Reddit if you’re interested in this kind of stuff — lots of funny comments.

This is really giving me flashbacks to my corporate job because honestly I dealt with complete idiots like this who had risen beyond their level of incompetence all the time. Men and women. And they would lead by fiat and you would see everyone scrambling to interpret a completely nonsensical, novel rule which at some later point would be summarily reversed. And everyone would scramble again. I had to get out.

I will say, watching Elon Musk in his Twitter takeover has told me pretty much everything I need to know about trusting his self-driving cars.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2022, 12:45:26 PM »

I will say, watching Elon Musk in his Twitter takeover has told me pretty much everything I need to know about trusting his self-driving cars.

That, and I keep hearing that they're exploding.  Or something.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2022, 12:55:43 PM »
This also gets back to the point I just made earlier about him being addicted to the service. One could easily engage with him by playing on this addiction and pretending to be a non-employee or some sort of outside influencer or maybe a verified person.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2022, 01:51:16 PM »

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2022, 04:30:38 PM »
Between Musk's getting rid of working from home and demanding that everyone work insane hours, firing employees who criticize him or push back on his claims, and scrapping the compliance team and ordering engineers to "self-certify" that they're following the rules of the FTC settlement, this thread is looking more and more like "Reasons you need FU money: Elon Musk edition".
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:45:53 PM by FireLane »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2022, 07:19:49 PM »
If Elon bought outstanding stock, then employees with stock holdings at time of acquisition would have been bought out. But what happens to values of stock awards that were made to employees after the acquisition closed?

Here’s why I ask… For a a long term employee with significant vested options, a nice profit was available at the acquisition. For shorter tenure employees (or any employees) with options that vested after the acquisition, are any newly vested options now worthless?

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2022, 09:14:40 PM »
Is there anyone here who owned Twitter stock through the acquisition? Did the money appear in your account right after delisting on 10/27?

It looks like the last traded price was $53.35, a significant discount if one was getting $54.20 a week or two later. However, if the money doesn't arrive for months, it wasn't the greatest deal.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2022, 12:17:05 AM »
Is there anyone here who owned Twitter stock through the acquisition? Did the money appear in your account right after delisting on 10/27?

It looks like the last traded price was $53.35, a significant discount if one was getting $54.20 a week or two later. However, if the money doesn't arrive for months, it wasn't the greatest deal.
afaik it takes roughly two weeks for money from deleted stocks to appear. Never had it myself though and of course with the hilarious US banking system it might be 2 month because they only send it out in handwritten cheques.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2022, 07:17:58 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2022, 07:38:26 AM »
Ligma & Johnson hired back !
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592618665933156352?s=46&t=1Hl5b-J3X7rS0wAFwUzWRA

That is the face of an employee who has totally forgiven the firing, and is not currently looking for a new job.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2022, 07:44:17 AM »
Ligma & Johnson hired back !
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592618665933156352?s=46&t=1Hl5b-J3X7rS0wAFwUzWRA

That is the face of an employee who has totally forgiven the firing, and is not currently looking for a new job.

I can't tell is this is some next level humor or if you're unaware that these are the two guys who pretended to be twitter employees who were laid off and got the media to buy in.

If it's the former apologies for letting the joke woosh over my head.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2022, 07:51:47 AM »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 07:53:41 AM by bryan995 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2022, 07:57:53 AM »
Oh.  Hahah, I had no idea!

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2022, 08:34:58 AM »
If Elon bought outstanding stock, then employees with stock holdings at time of acquisition would have been bought out. But what happens to values of stock awards that were made to employees after the acquisition closed?

Here’s why I ask… For a a long term employee with significant vested options, a nice profit was available at the acquisition. For shorter tenure employees (or any employees) with options that vested after the acquisition, are any newly vested options now worthless?

I have decent knowledge of equity comp plans, but am not a true subject matter expert.  Some of this question is probably best answered by a SME.

The real answer will depend on how Twitter's board handles equity comp.  Twitter likely had some type of ESPP or other direct stock ownership plan before the acquisition.  It's most common for public companies to use a direct share ownership program while private companies will use an option plan.  This isn't a law, just the most common scenario.

On the acquisition date, Elon Musk purchased every single outstanding share, whether owned by an employee or anyone else.  The equity comp plan likely would have been terminated as of the acquisition date, so any unvested shares would be forfeit.  The board should have approved some new equity comp plan plan effective as of the acquisition date.  This would most likely be an option (ESOP) plan.

The challenge is that options need to be issued at fair-market-value (FMV) for the shares.  This isn't legally required, but it's a massive tax headache for employees if you do anything other than FMV.  As of a few weeks ago, the FMV was $44B.  The whole world knows the company isn't worth $44B, but that's how the accountants look at it until they get a new external valuation (409a).  So Twitter is likely giving out options that are effectively worthless.  Or they realized they're worthless and are giving cash bonuses instead.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2022, 08:53:00 AM »

I have decent knowledge of equity comp plans, but am not a true subject matter expert.  Some of this question is probably best answered by a SME.

The real answer will depend on how Twitter's board handles equity comp.  Twitter likely had some type of ESPP or other direct stock ownership plan before the acquisition.  It's most common for public companies to use a direct share ownership program while private companies will use an option plan.  This isn't a law, just the most common scenario.

On the acquisition date, Elon Musk purchased every single outstanding share, whether owned by an employee or anyone else.  The equity comp plan likely would have been terminated as of the acquisition date, so any unvested shares would be forfeit.  The board should have approved some new equity comp plan plan effective as of the acquisition date.  This would most likely be an option (ESOP) plan.

The challenge is that options need to be issued at fair-market-value (FMV) for the shares.  This isn't legally required, but it's a massive tax headache for employees if you do anything other than FMV.  As of a few weeks ago, the FMV was $44B.  The whole world knows the company isn't worth $44B, but that's how the accountants look at it until they get a new external valuation (409a).  So Twitter is likely giving out options that are effectively worthless.  Or they realized they're worthless and are giving cash bonuses instead.

All vested stock was paid out at $54.20/share.
Unvested stock stays on the same vesting schedule and is paid in cash equivalent.  No new awards.

"Employees restricted stock will keep vesting until closing, and then be converted to cash grants on the same vesting schedule".

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2022, 08:53:58 AM »
Oh.  Hahah, I had no idea!

watch the video above and listen very carefully to their names :)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2022, 09:10:56 AM »
I hear they all got an ultimatum last night to sign some kind of all-in hard work pledge or take 3 months severance...sounds like an easy way to get three months' pay to me and a no-brainer.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2022, 10:53:21 AM »
What a shit show. I feel bad for employees. So many lives disrupted.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2022, 11:18:44 AM »
I hear they all got an ultimatum last night to sign some kind of all-in hard work pledge or take 3 months severance...sounds like an easy way to get three months' pay to me and a no-brainer.

CNBC has the email.

Wonder how many people will take the severance.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2022, 11:39:29 AM »
"we will need to be extremely hardcore"

...k...

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2022, 12:10:03 PM »

CNBC has the email.

Wonder how many people will take the severance.

"Anyone who has not done so [clicked the 'I'm in!' link] by 5pm ET tomorrow (Thursday) will receive three months of severance."

I think I'd hit up an employment lawyer to see how legally binding that is. At this point, I wouldn't trust anything out of his mouth/tweets/emails.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2022, 12:51:52 PM »
What is the point of having people "opt in" with that email?.  It's not like they can't opt in and then be only "kind hardcore" and let the chips fall where they may.  Or opt in and then bail in 5 weeks when they finally secure another job offer.  Or anything else. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2022, 01:13:06 PM »
What is the point of having people "opt in" with that email?.  It's not like they can't opt in and then be only "kind hardcore" and let the chips fall where they may.  Or opt in and then bail in 5 weeks when they finally secure another job offer.  Or anything else.

I think it's kinda smart.  It's a way of doing layoffs without doing layoffs - he's offering people who don't really want to be there (and are probably looking for other jobs anyway) a cash bonus to leave now.  Theoretically it would reduce the number of people leaving later which would translate into more stability/predictability for release dates and features.

It's the kind of thing he should have started with after the takeover rather than massive across the board layoffs and random firings.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!