Author Topic: 2024 FIRE Cohort  (Read 149634 times)

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2024 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #350 on: July 09, 2023, 06:24:02 PM »
Wageslave23,

I guess I should have been more specific. In my case, I'm doing a full gut rehab of my primary residence. No point in waiting for me and my family. Rather deal with the unexpected surprises/costs now while working than in my first few years of FIRE. Also, I will attempt to get to as much deferred maintenance on my rentals prior to FIRE. Since I DIY everything, I prefer to be FIRE with a semi-clean slate rather than FIRE with huge to-do lists. Hope this makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense.

jimmyshutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #351 on: July 19, 2023, 05:08:48 PM »
Since, theoretically, many the people on this list will be making the leap in 6-18 months I was curious if anyone was making big changes in preparation.  The move into planning for FIRE takes an adjustment of mindset(for most people) and planning.  Then the middle part is just save, invest, control spending, fantasize(for some people).  Now that "THE DAY" is getting visible on the horizon, I was wondering how people's mindsets might be adjusting.

The past couple of years I've been thinking about things I would enjoy when I had more time so I've been practicing more guitar and spending more time at the gym meditating and relaxing my mind rather than hurrying through workouts. I am still concerned with the transition time of being free from work and having too much time on my hands (I used to have summers off and it was great but at the end of summer I was getting squirrelly). I do have a lot of things property maintenance which I enjoy will fill my time and it's something I enjoy so that will help.

I am a bit nervous that I'll regret the chance of making more money but I've lived on a limited budget for so long that spending money isn't an enjoyment of mine. I'm not sure if anyone is concerned about not making money even though they will have more spending money in retirement vs when working and saving/investing.

Nobodyinparticular

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #352 on: July 19, 2023, 08:24:30 PM »

I am a bit nervous that I'll regret the chance of making more money but I've lived on a limited budget for so long that spending money isn't an enjoyment of mine. I'm not sure if anyone is concerned about not making money even though they will have more spending money in retirement vs when working and saving/investing.

I kind of doubt anyone who reads/posts in a place like this doesn't second guess the "should I build up a little more cushion" question a few dozen times along the way.  Getting to FIRE means making prudent decisions and so finally saying, "I'm ditching my normal source of income," feels pretty weird.  No matter how you do the math, having more gives you more of a cushion and not taking that option seems imprudent.  I think reading the comments of the people who have done it recently as well as years ago is pretty helpful.  At least for me, when people talk about how they felt during the process it makes it easier to relate to how I feel now.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #353 on: July 25, 2023, 11:00:19 AM »
Since, theoretically, many the people on this list will be making the leap in 6-18 months I was curious if anyone was making big changes in preparation.  The move into planning for FIRE takes an adjustment of mindset(for most people) and planning.  Then the middle part is just save, invest, control spending, fantasize(for some people).  Now that "THE DAY" is getting visible on the horizon, I was wondering how people's mindsets might be adjusting.

I never understood this. If you have older windows that you would like to replace in 5 yrs, wouldn't it be better to keep that money invested for 5 more years? Or if you have a 10 yr old car that you will eventually want to replace, wouldn't it make more sense to set that money aside and earn interest until you actually need it? Seems like rookie psychological games that those who are near FIRE should be advanced beyond. Time value of money and all...

I replaced a couple of doors this year.  The company I went with had 5 years no interest financing for the same price as paying cash, so that was an easy decision.  That no interest financing deal might not have been available if I was already retired.  Both doors were horribly energy inefficient and I can already tell the improvement in temperature in the spaces they open into.

By doing it that way I'm able to leave the money invested and have a reduction in energy costs, plus tax break as well.  No regrets about doing it now rather than waiting a few more years.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: July 26, 2023, 02:48:08 PM »
Just realized my post above is something of a double post with one I made on the previous page.  Oh well, it's not like folks can't skip over when they realize.

I've been lurking here, but judging by a recent work meeting, there's some possibility I'll be joining you with a somewhat leaner but earlier FIRE than I had planned.  (But then again, if the markets keep going the way they are, maybe not so lean.)

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: July 31, 2023, 01:03:06 PM »
Hi all!  Here’s an updated list of our cohort!  For those on the list with no date given, now that 2024 is less than six months away, have your plans solidified at all?  I’ve been waffling with OMY for awhile now, but with the recent market gains + a really stressful workplace, I’m leaning toward pulling the plug next year as originally planned. How’s everyone else feeling?

Plans to FIRE (with date):

Early 2024  Simpli-FI
01/01/2024  snuka  (54)
01/02  themagicman  (33)
01/16/2024  bluecollarlawyer 
02/2024  ToughMother  (may be late 2023)
02/2024 grantmeaname  (31)
02/2024  novotnjm  (37)
02/29/2024  FrogStash  (46)
03/2024  Roboturner
04/2024  Anon-E-Mouze  (60)
04/2024  FireDAD
04/2024  PacificaFog  (51) 
04/01/2024  By the River  (60)
05/27/2024  techwiz
06/2024  Cool Hwhip  (57)
06/2024  rmorris  (50)
06/2024  dogboyslim
07/01/2024  Ambergris 
07/9/2024  1SLOLS1  (40)
08/02/2024  Nobodyinparticular
Fall 2024  zhelud 
12/2024 AO1FireTo
12/2024  ardrum   (41)
12/24  doneby35
12/31/2024  scantee  (47)
Late 2024  Kissthesky  (34)

Plans to FIRE (no date given):

Abe  (40)  FI, but not RE
Andrewenz
Asauer
BeardedLady  (38)
begood  (60)
BiggerFishToFI  (37)
Boganvillia
Brooklynmoney  (50)
connor
Dcarrol
Dreams_and_discoveries  (44)
DutchGirl (45)
Eco-eco  (48)
Fattest_foot
Freezerburn (46)
FrugalShrew
Froggie  (40)
Goanywhere (40)
Greensheep  (45)
Lamplighter  (36)
Highbeam  (46)
Hucktard  (44)
Hula Hoop  (52)
Ifelfreudndin
Iknowiyam
Jade
Jupiter  (30)
Kakashi
Kaposzta  (40)
LmoArk  (45)
Marblejane
Marty998
Miss Piggy  (55)
ModernIncantations
Mohawbrah
Mozar  (41)
MrThatsDifferent
MVal
Nangirl 17  (45)  (may do OMY)
Pdxbator  (50)
Pdxvandal (or maybe 2025)
PharmaStache  (40)
Plainjane
PMJL34
Rubybeth  (43)
RWD
ScottdaleSaver  (44)
SimpleDreamer - DH  (50)
Sisto  (52)
Snowball  (43)
Spruce  (37)
StacheInAFlash
Travis  (43)
Turtle (maybe 2023)
Wageslave23  (40)
WSUCoug1994
Zaga

OLY:

2019  Blahhh456 (38) - mini RE
2022  ItsALongStory
2022  mspym
2022  Need2Save  (51)
2022  TomTX
2023  Blissful Biker  (52)
2023  navyswim01 
2023  Phryne

OMY:

2025  jlcnuke
2025  OurTown
2026  lilkidjesus  (38)
2026?  Edwards
2026?  Neo von retorch

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2023, 11:14:18 AM »
I will most likely work a couple more years. I'll reach my target next year, but being fully remote and very easy workload is making work more tolerable and the extra money is now worth it.  I'll stay in the 2024 cohort for now though, because something could change my situation and I'd FIRE asap.

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #357 on: August 01, 2023, 07:04:09 PM »
Please put me down for Dec 1/2024 as my last day of corporate life.  Not sure what's next, lots of exercise is at the top of the list though.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #358 on: August 03, 2023, 03:48:43 PM »
I will most likely work a couple more years. I'll reach my target next year, but being fully remote and very easy workload is making work more tolerable and the extra money is now worth it.  I'll stay in the 2024 cohort for now though, because something could change my situation and I'd FIRE asap.

This is the situation I'm in.  Coast FIRE, essentially.

After my direct boss's hints during the last couple team meetings, I did schedule a meeting today with immediate boss and next level up to let them know that I was planning on retiring by 2027 at the latest.  Apparently our department is safe for the remainder of this year, but they now know I'd be fine with a package next year if they have to come up with a name.

If I get offered a package next year, I'll definitely take it.  If not, the optimal time for me to go is early 2026 or early 2027.

DutchGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2023, 08:37:25 AM »
Checking in after a long time :-) .

My company is going to be taken over. This will probably be somewhere between December 2023 and errr July 2024. When that happens, it's unclear whether they will want to keep me on. If not, I'll get a nice farewell bonus. If they do keep me on, I'll work for a bit longer until I reach FI and perhaps until the dust from the merger has settled a bit, or perhaps until I get tired from the turmoil that a merger definitely can be.

So my exit date is still very much unclear, but hopefully still somewhere in 2024.

PS. Reading the 2023 FIRE cohort posts is very fun and inspiring!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 12:11:21 PM by DutchGirl »

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #360 on: August 27, 2023, 12:47:32 PM »
It's looking more like 2025 for me, maybe as a 50th birthday present to myself. The primary reason is I'm actually enjoying my job more than I was a few years ago and compensated much better, and with more flexibility than ever which is honestly a little annoying when I want to RE. ;-)   

Inflation has been a bit of a bugger, but fortunately that seems to be cooling off. I also fear psychologically it will be difficult to really pull the plug, but I'm working on building up my courage and squash my inner bag lady worries. I certainly do not want to spend my "last good decade" working in cubicles, endless Zoom calls and the amount of work it takes to button things up before AND after taking a vacation. Those are reasons enough to RE.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: August 27, 2023, 01:55:14 PM »
It's looking more like 2025 for me, maybe as a 50th birthday present to myself. The primary reason is I'm actually enjoying my job more than I was a few years ago and compensated much better, and with more flexibility than ever which is honestly a little annoying when I want to RE. ;-)   

Inflation has been a bit of a bugger, but fortunately that seems to be cooling off. I also fear psychologically it will be difficult to really pull the plug, but I'm working on building up my courage and squash my inner bag lady worries. I certainly do not want to spend my "last good decade" working in cubicles, endless Zoom calls and the amount of work it takes to button things up before AND after taking a vacation. Those are reasons enough to RE.

From what I've seen with my parents and grandparents, 60s is a great decade too. 70s is hit or miss depending on your health and lifestyle choices. 80s and 90s don't seem that great to me, at best you can live through others like your children and grandchildren.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #362 on: August 27, 2023, 09:59:12 PM »
Yes, it certainly can be great in your 60s and 70s, although certainly wasn't for some of the men on my dad's side of the family. I hope to buck that trend a little.

From what I've seen with my parents and grandparents, 60s is a great decade too. 70s is hit or miss depending on your health and lifestyle choices. 80s and 90s don't seem that great to me, at best you can live through others like your children and grandchildren.

Lady Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #363 on: August 31, 2023, 10:36:57 AM »
Add me to the list.  I am tentatively targeting March 1, 2024.  I'll be 49 years old.

Recent changes at MegaCorp have made the current job less fun so I'm looking at pulling the plug.  I've let my lifestyle inflate in the last few years with the firehouse of cash so I need some time to balance lifestyle vs. how much I want to be done working.  I also want to stash away a bit more cash.

March 1st lets me get the IRA match for 2024 and earn income at lower tax brackets.  My top tax rate right now is 45%.

If I find another role I love I may jump on it but for now the tentative plan is March 1st 2024.

MinouMinou

• Stubble
« Reply #364 on: August 31, 2023, 02:00:16 PM »
Hi new friends, I am likely hopping over from the 2023 cohort into the 2024 cohort. Can I join you all?
My target date is 6/1/2. I'll be 53.

I haven't completely given up on the original goal of 12/31/23 but it would make a lot of sense to wait and front load all those tax advantaged accounts for 2024, especially since the first few years might be a little leanish.

I hope (any insights?) that with this decided I can stop crunching numbers and obsessing, and just start checking things off the Pre-FIRE checklist. Oh yes, and enjoying the day to day as much as possible. Knowing that when feeling spicy at work with stress and understaffing, the time will be here soon.

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #365 on: September 03, 2023, 03:40:27 PM »
Welcome to the 2024 Cohort Lady Stash and MamaMinou!  Happy to have you here!  This is a pretty quiet cohort, but I’m hoping we’ll get more updates and discussion as we all get closer to pulling the plug.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #366 on: September 05, 2023, 06:36:29 AM »

Days Left until my FIRE date!

I am sure these days will pass quickly.  Just back to work after a month long summer vacation. Good test run of living the FIRE life. If my vacation is reflective of my FIRE life I will be much more active and do more days of physical labour which is better for my health than sitting in meetings most of the day with my office job. My soft office hands have been converted into callused working hands.   

I was joking with a co-worker who had also just returned "No vacation goes unpunished!", as we filter through all our emails and try to get back on top of all the ongoing issues at work. Seems like the only way to completely get way is retirement or switching jobs.

Still feeling refreshed and relaxed from the vacation we will see how long that lasts....

jimmyshutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #367 on: September 06, 2023, 04:50:59 PM »

I never understood this. If you have older windows that you would like to replace in 5 yrs, wouldn't it be better to keep that money invested for 5 more years? Or if you have a 10 yr old car that you will eventually want to replace, wouldn't it make more sense to set that money aside and earn interest until you actually need it? Seems like rookie psychological games that those who are near FIRE should be advanced beyond. Time value of money and all...

I agree. I keep thinking i should update things in/around my home before I retire but many things aren't necessaryat this time. My heating/cooling bills are so low that buying new windows wouldn't give me the roi I'm looking for.

"If" my stache grows in retirement I may get new windows and install myself for a summer retirement project but or now I'd rather leave my money invested. I don't need (or want) a new car even though I thought I did because i was worriedabout my old car breaking down in retirement.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 05:33:34 PM by jimmyshutter »

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #368 on: September 06, 2023, 06:41:22 PM »
Following the lead of @techwiz -- 163 (+/- 7) days left for me. Variance is to figure out which pay period gets me the extra month counted towards my pension (and not a day more). I'm gearing up to let the higher ups in on my plan...

I too had a recent vacation, just a little over a week, but like Techwiz, I was much more active, felt great about what I was engaged with, and am being hammered now that I'm back. I'd be thrilled to be done tomorrow but I have a birthday in late January that will make a meaningful difference to my pension amount (and I don't get SS, so every drop helps).

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #369 on: September 07, 2023, 01:51:29 PM »
I'm gearing up to let the higher ups in on my plan...

It would be interesting to know how much notice time everyone is giving.

I still have not given notice or confirmed my date with work. Keeping my options open I might do something crazy like OMY or stretch my end date. The date I am using is my 30 years of pensionable service date which is the earliest I can take my pension although there would still be some penalties/reduction due to age.  Officially I would need to submit my resignation letter at least three months before leaving if I wanted to give time to prevent delays in processing my pension. 

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #370 on: September 07, 2023, 03:45:03 PM »
I'm gearing up to let the higher ups in on my plan...

I still have not given notice or confirmed my date with work. Keeping my options open I might do something crazy like OMY or stretch my end date. The date I am using is my 30 years of pensionable service date which is the earliest I can take my pension although there would still be some penalties/reduction due to age.  Officially I would need to submit my resignation letter at least three months before leaving if I wanted to give time to prevent delays in processing my pension.

I think 3 months seems like a reasonable notice time for retirement.  I had a coworker retire and didn't find out until right before. I'm not exactly sure if she told management sooner, but it didn't seem like it. I was like "what the hell?" It's not like retirement sneaks up on you, most people are planning at least a year or more in advance so I think 3 months minimum is responsible.  Also depends how long you've been with a company and how many months of severance you would expect if they had to let you go. If you'd expect them to give you six months severance if they had to suddenly lay you off, then you should grant them the same courtesy and give them six months notice before you leave.  This is good food for thought though. I think I'd wait until I was ok with them telling me to leave immediately and then tell them I was retiring but willing to stay on for up to 3 months if they desired.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #371 on: September 07, 2023, 10:26:32 PM »
Like @techwiz, I’m in a system with a pension. The earliest you can submit your paperwork is 120 days prior to the expected date. The benefits people recommend doing it then due to long processing time. Also I’m trying to find some post-retirement work (a thing in our system) and I don’t want any info to leak to my supervisor who should hear it directly from me.  I’ll be going in Feb as this date is my second “OMY” (thanks pandemic & inflation).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 10:28:20 PM by ToughMother »

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2023, 09:19:38 AM »
I think 3 months seems like a reasonable notice time for retirement.  I had a coworker retire and didn't find out until right before. I'm not exactly sure if she told management sooner, but it didn't seem like it. I was like "what the hell?" It's not like retirement sneaks up on you, most people are planning at least a year or more in advance so I think 3 months minimum is responsible.  Also depends how long you've been with a company and how many months of severance you would expect if they had to let you go. If you'd expect them to give you six months severance if they had to suddenly lay you off, then you should grant them the same courtesy and give them six months notice before you leave.  This is good food for thought though. I think I'd wait until I was ok with them telling me to leave immediately and then tell them I was retiring but willing to stay on for up to 3 months if they desired.

I do care about not leaving my co-workers in a bad spot, but I am not sure I feel the same why about leaving the organization with short notice. Most companies and organizations don't give 3 months or reasonable notice when they have to layoff or make big changes affecting the employees. Normally we get the excuse of some mandate or financial pressure and "bang" it is effective immediately.   

I am still on the fence about when to give notice. I am currently debating a bunch of options which include taking advantage of FIWOOT (Financial Independence Work On Own Terms). If I want to just walkout with no notice after my date I can live off my cash and investments for years if required.  My pension check could take 3-6 months to get sorted out before a checks shows up, but the FI money means that doesn't worry me. Another option could be taking leave without pay or reduced hours as a pre-retirement transition. Part of me thinks it is crazy that I have not sorted out by now, but I am embracing the flexibility of having all these options that my situation allows.

jimmyshutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #373 on: September 14, 2023, 06:52:27 AM »

I work for the government and 2 weeks is all that is required. Giving more notice doesn't make a difference as far as filling my position because it won't even be posted until I'm out the door.

The only reason to give more of a notice is to let my co-workers know of my intentions. I have already hinted to enough people that next year could be my last but I also don't want to be the guy who says "I'm retiring next year" only to stick around for years to come.

Must_ache

• Bristles
« Reply #374 on: September 26, 2023, 08:43:34 AM »
I hope people are not scrambling to change their asset allocation, but rather there is opportunity to mitigate sequence of returns risk for first few years of your FIRE journey.

I think people SHOULD change their asset allocation.  In mid-2020 the 10-yr Treasury yielded 0.7%.  If long-term inflation is 3% you are not going to achieve that return and more with that investment.  Everything else around must look pretty bad as well to decide that 0.7% looks good.  Bonds were unattractive so stocks become overly popular and their prices were bid up.  Now that the 10-yr yields 4.5%, stocks looks less attractive; the amount by which they are expected to beat bonds is a lot less.  So, the demand for stocks should be lower and the price should drop.  You can hold a higher % of bonds in your portfolio now and meet your intermediate growth needs with less stocks/risk.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #375 on: October 05, 2023, 11:46:48 AM »
Hi All

Coming in via OMY from 2023, can you add me to the list.  Plan is to exit in January 2024, giving notice in 2023.  Looking forward to reclaiming my brain.

Bluenose1966

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2023, 03:11:28 PM »
I have been doing OMY since 2020 and been dithering about when would be a good time to leave. New member of the Team is quite toxic and rather than deal with it it has given me the push I needed. Feel like a weight has been lifted off me. Have given my 3 months notice and last day will be 2nd Jan 24, will be 57 and a half.
So looking forward to not being sat at a desk all day and getting stupidly stressed by incoming emails.
My retirement life will consist of long walks in woods with dog, visits to gym, swim and sauna. Meeting friend for walks, coffees and meals. Being able to read of an afternoon, not just a quick read before I sleep. I also want to declutter the house and hope to get rid of at least 50% of unnecessary clutter.  I live in UK so going to go on some UK holidays to areas always wanted to visit as well as Europe and USA, we unfortunately like Disney/ Universal a bit too much, a very expensive holiday.  Not sure I want to commit to volunteering etc as don’t want to make commitments on my time. I have 36 working days to go…………

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2023, 03:19:11 PM »
@Bluenose1966 congratulations and I suspect you'll be the first of the 2024 cohort to pull the plug.

[I was incredulous at the thought that there is only 36 working days left till 2024!]

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #378 on: October 08, 2023, 11:09:40 AM »
I have been doing OMY since 2020 and been dithering about when would be a good time to leave. New member of the Team is quite toxic and rather than deal with it it has given me the push I needed. Feel like a weight has been lifted off me. Have given my 3 months notice and last day will be 2nd Jan 24, will be 57 and a half.

You and I have similar goals.  Clean all the things!

I was also gonna go in 2020, but the pandemic made travel harder.  Then legal stuff strung out for a while.  Now my job has become more stressful and I know I better go before I get burned out.  Counting down the days in my journal.

I have 36 working days to go…………

36!  I guess you're taking some vacation days?

Enjoy Disney!

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2023, 06:37:18 AM »
Only

Days until FIRE!

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #380 on: October 18, 2023, 12:44:25 PM »
So, I’m now 6 months from my intended FIRE date (April 2024) and not quite at my initial FIRE number (still haven’t fully recovered from 2022), so thought I’d write about my current thought process in case it’s helpful for someone else.  I was initially leaning toward OMY, but the first half of this year at work has convinced me that I’m not going to be able to do that and maintain my sanity or health.  I’m just so burned out.  So, my current plan is to go ahead and leave in April and take the rest of the year off for relaxation/recovery, and then decide what to next which seems like it will be one of the following: spend less, get part time work, or move someplace cheaper.  One of the things that’s really hard in my current state of burnout is that I feel like I’m not really thinking creatively.  The fact is I’m SO CLOSE and I think if I give my brain a rest I’ll be able to come up with a solution that really feels good. 

Anyone else in a similar boat?  What are your thoughts/plans?  I’d love to hear!

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #381 on: October 18, 2023, 12:59:12 PM »
So, I’m now 6 months from my intended FIRE date (April 2024) and not quite at my initial FIRE number (still haven’t fully recovered from 2022), so thought I’d write about my current thought process in case it’s helpful for someone else.  I was initially leaning toward OMY, but the first half of this year at work has convinced me that I’m not going to be able to do that and maintain my sanity or health.  I’m just so burned out.  So, my current plan is to go ahead and leave in April and take the rest of the year off for relaxation/recovery, and then decide what to next which seems like it will be one of the following: spend less, get part time work, or move someplace cheaper.  One of the things that’s really hard in my current state of burnout is that I feel like I’m not really thinking creatively.  The fact is I’m SO CLOSE and I think if I give my brain a rest I’ll be able to come up with a solution that really feels good. 

Anyone else in a similar boat?  What are your thoughts/plans?  I’d love to hear!

I originally said April 1 but now adding at least a month due to the lower market.  I'm not going past November though.  IT WILL BE 2024.   

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2023, 08:17:30 AM »

It is hard to make great decisions when in a state of burnout. I have read a few journals that talk about the long decompression time after they retired which I have found insightful. The great thing with being FI or close to it is the extra options and flexibility not have to worry about not making the optimum decision. If something doesn't work out pivot and go another path. 

Even though I have a date and already FI at current spending levels.  I haven't officially gave notice still keeping my options open. Personally I am trying to focus more on physical/mental health, and happiness rather than the money at this stage of my FIRE journey.  I plan taking an extended vacation in the near future to reset and give myself some bandwidth to clearly think things through, and complete my vision of the "RE" part of FIRE         

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2023, 12:47:51 PM »

I wish the 2021 market had continued upward too!

Since I moved from 2023 to 2024, I'm been falling into a similar pattern as you.  Just this morning I was thinking that I could accumulate for just a few more months in 2024 while the market is down.

But I'm happy with my FI number, and due to a number of new frustrations at my job, I'm gonna stick with my schedule unless we see a 50% dive in the market.

@PacificaFog if it were me, I'd stick around until I hit the number, if you could.  Especially if you're getting paid well now and you might not make that at a future job.  If you really need to take time to clear your head - could you ask for a FMLA break for mental health?  Then come back until you hit the number?

Otherwise, you could plan to get a part time job in a year or two, until you make up the difference.

jimmyshutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #384 on: October 20, 2023, 09:49:01 AM »
I'm not burned out at my job but I think to myself "why should I have to go to work when I don't NEED the money"? I was hoping for positive returns in the markets to financially assist my son but if the markets don't fare well then I'm not sure I'll be able to. If that's the case I may work a bit longer to help him.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #385 on: October 21, 2023, 12:14:19 PM »
@PacificaFog i left before I got my number after I started playing around in rich dead or broke and realised there was a 4x chance that I would be dead vs broke. I was 95% of the way there and I would rather spend some time thinking about how to do something cheaper or for free than to work for the extra money. My partner joined me when he was unexpectedly laid off and his payout got him to 90%.

As a person who has had burn-out in the past, I don’t advocate for trying to power through. You do have more options than you can currently think of and the longer you continue in this state the more damage you are doing to your body and your brain.

MinouMinou

• Stubble
« Reply #386 on: October 21, 2023, 10:34:02 PM »
Hi 2024 folks, I OMYed over into your cohort. Not sure if my date will be June, October or December. I AM sure that the month of March will be spent on a slow vacation in Asia. I’m hoping to use vacation time to create a part time work week on return from Asia until FIRE date. I think I’ve said before, I would enjoy my job so much more if it were part time.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #387 on: October 22, 2023, 02:56:40 PM »
Hi 2024 folks, I OMYed over into your cohort. Not sure if my date will be June, October or December. I AM sure that the month of March will be spent on a slow vacation in Asia. I’m hoping to use vacation time to create a part time work week on return from Asia until FIRE date. I think I’ve said before, I would enjoy my job so much more if it were part time.

Hi fellow ex-2023er! 

It's too bad that there are few options for part time work.  At last in the US.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #388 on: October 22, 2023, 03:28:55 PM »
Seeing other 2023 folks decide to OMY made me realize I never moved over to this cohort.

Inflation, being more realistic about household maintenance, and rapidly growing children convinced me that 2023 was not the right time for me.

I'm close though, so maybe 2024? I can also see myself becoming a perpetual OMYer :)

Lady Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #389 on: October 22, 2023, 04:58:05 PM »
Here's an updated cohort list.  Feel free to message me with any corrections.

Plans to FIRE (with date):

Early 2024  Simpli-FI
01/01/2024  snuka  (54)
01/02  themagicman  (33)
01/02/2024 Bluenose1966 (57)
01/16/2024  bluecollarlawyer  
01/2024 mtnrider
05/2024  ToughMother
02/2024 grantmeaname  (31)
02/2024  novotnjm  (37)
02/29/2024  FrogStash  (46)
03/2024  Roboturner
04/2024  Anon-E-Mouze  (60)
04/2024  FireDAD
04/2024  PacificaFog  (51)  
04/01/2024  By the River  (60)
05/27/2024  techwiz
06/2024  Cool Hwhip  (57)
06/2024  rmorris  (50)
06/2024  dogboyslim
06/2023 MinouMinou (53)
07/01/2024  Ambergris  
07/9/2024  1SLOLS1  (40)
08/02/2024  Nobodyinparticular
Fall 2024  zhelud  
12/1/2024 AO1FireTo
12/2024  ardrum   (41)
12/24  doneby35
12/31/2024  scantee  (47)
Late 2024  Kissthesky  (34)

Plans to FIRE (no date given):

Abe  (40)  FI, but not RE
Andrewenz
Asauer
BeardedLady  (38)
begood  (60)
BiggerFishToFI  (37)
Boganvillia
Brooklynmoney  (50)
connor
Dcarrol
Dreams_and_discoveries  (44)
DutchGirl (45)
Eco-eco  (48)
Fattest_foot
Freezerburn (46)
FrugalShrew
Froggie  (40)
Goanywhere (40)
Greensheep  (45)
Lamplighter  (36)
Highbeam  (46)
Hucktard  (44)
Hula Hoop  (52)
Ifelfreudndin
Iknowiyam
Jade
Jupiter  (30)
Kakashi
Kaposzta  (40)
LadyStash
LmoArk  (45)
Marblejane 
Marty998
Miss Piggy  (55)
ModernIncantations
Mohawbrah
Mozar  (41)
MrThatsDifferent
MVal
Nangirl 17  (45)  (may do OMY)
Pdxbator  (50)
PharmaStache  (40)
Plainjane
PMJL34
Rubybeth  (43)
RWD
ScottdaleSaver  (44)
SimpleDreamer - DH  (50)
Sisto  (52)
Snowball  (43)
Spruce  (37)
StacheInAFlash
StarBright
Travis  (43)
Turtle (maybe 2023)
Wageslave23  (40)
WSUCoug1994
Zaga

OLY:

2019  Blahhh456 (38) - mini RE
2022  ItsALongStory
2022  mspym
2022  Need2Save  (51)
2022  TomTX
2023  Blissful Biker  (52)
2023  navyswim01  
2023  Phryne

OMY:

2025  jlcnuke
2025  OurTown
2025 Pdxvandal 
2026  lilkidjesus  (38)
2026?  Edwards
2026?  Neo von retorch

MinouMinou

• Stubble
« Reply #390 on: October 29, 2023, 10:37:02 PM »
We are only nine weeks away from 2024, my fellow 2024 cohort. How is everyone feeling? Any plans being finalized?

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #391 on: October 30, 2023, 12:25:03 PM »
I wanted to say thanks to the folks who responded to my post!  I’ve been continuing to think about it.  I’m in a unique (well, maybe not that unique) situation that the last week of March I get a bonus, 401K match, and stock grant for the the previous year, which combined is worth a fair amount of my total compensation.  Which is why people always retire or leave the company in April.  Once you get to June, you think - I’m already halfway through this year, I should wait until next April to leave.  And, I just don’t have it in me to do OMY.  So, sticking with my original date even though I won’t quite be at my original target number.  I’m leaning toward taking the rest of 2024 off to recover and then taking a good hard look at my finances and deciding if I need to look for part time work.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #392 on: October 30, 2023, 01:28:55 PM »
We are only nine weeks away from 2024, my fellow 2024 cohort. How is everyone feeling? Any plans being finalized?

Anticipation:
  Counting down the days.  I figure 56 more workdays.

Planning:
  I've finalized the budget with my partner.  We talked about the merits of ACA vs their work plan. 

Concerns:
  Bonuses are rumored to be better in 2024.  But I don't want to wait until October again to find out.

I realized that I secretly hoped that when I give my notice, my boss would offer me an incentive that I couldn't refuse to stay an extra year.  Not holding my breath though.

The recent stock market correction has sent me from a 2% to a 2.1% WR.  Add on inflation and it might become 2.2%.  Yet I'm still irrationally thinking that it'd be great to continue working while the market is down.

I see four people ahead of me, I'm curious about them too!

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #393 on: October 30, 2023, 03:14:48 PM »
@mtnrider, I’m not quite ready to do a countdown of workdays yet.  I think the number will seem to big!  But, I did realize the other day that I have only 10 more (every other week) check-ins left with my boss.  I find those meetings HUGELY stressful.  The fact that I only have 10 more brings me great joy!

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #394 on: October 30, 2023, 04:37:30 PM »
I hope people are not scrambling to change their asset allocation, but rather there is opportunity to mitigate sequence of returns risk for first few years of your FIRE journey.

I think people SHOULD change their asset allocation.  In mid-2020 the 10-yr Treasury yielded 0.7%.  If long-term inflation is 3% you are not going to achieve that return and more with that investment.  Everything else around must look pretty bad as well to decide that 0.7% looks good.  Bonds were unattractive so stocks become overly popular and their prices were bid up.  Now that the 10-yr yields 4.5%, stocks looks less attractive; the amount by which they are expected to beat bonds is a lot less.  So, the demand for stocks should be lower and the price should drop.  You can hold a higher % of bonds in your portfolio now and meet your intermediate growth needs with less stocks/risk.

Yeah you are right in current situation. Earlier with extreme inverted bond yields curve it made sense to focus short term but Bond market yield curve is starting to get un-inverted.

It is time to reevaluate asset allocation. Earlier when yields were paltry it was easy for me to ignore bonds in general. Now as my assets have grown substantially and bonds starting to return meaningful inflation adjusted yields I need to consider including bonds in my portfolio.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #395 on: October 31, 2023, 07:15:47 AM »

Having mixed feelings, part of me loves watching the countdown to my FREEDOM, however I also have some doubt if I am doing the right thing and fear of the unknown. At work when a project or task has dates passed my FIRE date I find it hard to care and find myself tuning out. I have to force myself to focus more, and ramp up my motivation at work, it is too easy to fall into coasting mode.

As for my plans I was trying to finalize a bunch of things before my date which was adding stress as I tried to optimize everything. My solution to that problem was to stop finalizing things, I know that my plans are flexible and can adapt as I decompress from work and figure out the next steps in my journey. 

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #396 on: November 01, 2023, 07:23:25 AM »
@mtnrider, I’m not quite ready to do a countdown of workdays yet.  I think the number will seem to big!  But, I did realize the other day that I have only 10 more (every other week) check-ins left with my boss.  I find those meetings HUGELY stressful.  The fact that I only have 10 more brings me great joy!

In smaller units: My monthly countdown number is 6 today! 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 07:30:47 AM by By the River »

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2023, 12:17:29 PM »

This is a good way to visualize it!

I have only single digit more check-ins.

Depressingly, I just counted 56 more meetings that are usually just an unproductive hour+.  I can't fathom why corporations waste time like this!  And around 20 more meetings where something useful usually gets done. 75+ meetings.  Gah!

Maybe I should count weeks instead?  8 to 12.  That's more calming.

@PacificaFog Why do you find check-ins stressful?

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #398 on: November 06, 2023, 06:20:44 PM »
@mtnrider, it really boils down to - my boss is a bully.  I’ve done a lot of internal work over the past few years practicing boundaries and trying to not let it get to me, but over time it’s really wearing me down.  I have a hard time bouncing back these days and I’ve lost a lot of my optimism.  Time to get out, take a break, reset, and find a new adventure!

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #399 on: November 07, 2023, 12:41:32 PM »
@mtnrider, it really boils down to - my boss is a bully.  I’ve done a lot of internal work over the past few years practicing boundaries and trying to not let it get to me, but over time it’s really wearing me down.  I have a hard time bouncing back these days and I’ve lost a lot of my optimism.  Time to get out, take a break, reset, and find a new adventure!

@PacificaFog You have my sympathies. 

You have to prioritize your wellbeing.  Here's hoping you find something new and satisfying!