Author Topic: Legitimate criticisms of each 2016 Presidential Candidate  (Read 741466 times)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Legitimate criticisms of each 2016 Presidential Candidate
« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »
The U.S. had camps on the west coast filled with asians Japanese during WW2, the camps weren't quite as bad as the concentration camps in Germany like Auschwitz... But it was still messed up that we had them.

(I could be wrong about this, but I think most of the other Asian countries were on the Allied side and thus immigrants from them weren't interned.)

I'm really surprised we haven't heard folks like George Takei (who isn't just Sulu from Star Trek, but is also a politician who grew up in an internment camp) protesting that Trump's ideas are "internment 2.0."

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »
The U.S. had camps on the west coast filled with asians Japanese during WW2, the camps weren't quite as bad as the concentration camps in Germany like Auschwitz... But it was still messed up that we had them.

(I could be wrong about this, but I think most of the other Asian countries were on the Allied side and thus immigrants from them weren't interned.)

I'm really surprised we haven't heard folks like George Takei (who isn't just Sulu from Star Trek, but is also a politician who grew up in an internment camp) protesting that Trump's ideas are "internment 2.0."

I'm sure he has commented in some manner, feel free to dig through his twitter feed.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »

I'm sure he has commented in some manner, feel free to dig through his twitter feed.
He has.  I have seen it on his facebook page.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2015, 03:29:44 PM »

The U.S. had camps on the west coast filled with asians Japanese US Citizens during WW2, the camps weren't quite as bad as the concentration camps in Germany like Auschwitz... But it was still messed up that we had them.

The problem was that we were parsing US citizens once we had already accepted them. We can't have separate classes of citizens. I recognize that this is is what was more or less being said by the previous posters, but I think it is worth stating as directly as possible. It is a shameful fact to have in our history.

As a side note, Chiura Obata's "Topaz Moon" is worth a look. It is a collection of his art from during his interment at Manzanar, including the image below.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
Another legitimate weakness of Fiorina?

This WTF-worthy piece of batshittery.

http://youtu.be/zl_ke85HqII

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:49:07 PM by Kris »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2015, 05:47:43 PM »
I am currently watching the under-card "kid table" debate right now. This is coming from someone that is a Republican but this is what I have seen thus far.

Huckabee: We can conduct surveillance on all Muslims and it is not infringing upon their rights, because if they are such a peaceful religion they should welcome us there and hope we convert. (wtf?)

Santorum: Islam is bad, it is a government system not a religion so they should not have constitutional rights (wtf?)

Lindsey Graham: WAR WITH EVERYONE! I know what I am talking about cause I was in the military.

Pitaki: Does anyone know who I am?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »
I am currently watching the under-card "kid table" debate right now. This is coming from someone that is a Republican but this is what I have seen thus far.

Huckabee: We can conduct surveillance on all Muslims and it is not infringing upon their rights, because if they are such a peaceful religion they should welcome us there and hope we convert. (wtf?)

Santorum: Islam is bad, it is a government system not a religion so they should not have constitutional rights (wtf?)

Lindsey Graham: WAR WITH EVERYONE! I know what I am talking about cause I was in the military.

Sigh.

Yeah, I can't bring myself to watch the kiddie debate, but I will be watching the big kids' go at it.  I am positive I will need to drink for this.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2015, 05:53:22 PM »

Sigh.

Yeah, I can't bring myself to watch the kiddie debate, but I will be watching the big kids' go at it.  I am positive I will need to drink for this.

My tradition for every debate (D or R) is take out sushi and a giant beer (usually an IPA). Not mustachian but it only happens every 4 years so I give myself a pass because I enjoy it so much. I could not listen any longer to the kiddie table though. Just tuned out.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »

Sigh.

My tradition for every debate (D or R) is take out sushi and a giant beer (usually an IPA). Not mustachian but it only happens every 4 years so I give myself a pass because I enjoy it so much. I could not listen any longer to the kiddie table though. Just tuned out.

Good tradition. We have been popping popcorn, literally.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »
Good tradition. We have been popping popcorn, literally.

Looking forward to comparing notes tomorrow! Enjoy the popcorn!

College Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2015, 06:22:45 PM »
Bernie 2016 #feelthebern

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2015, 07:25:46 PM »
Poor George Pataki. I have no idea what he thinks he's accomplishing.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2015, 02:42:16 AM »
Conspiracy theory time, inspired by a news grab I just saw 5 minutes ago about another silly line from the Don.

Is the whole trump thing a ploy by the GOP to put up someone so objectionable and ridiculous to get the populace shit-scared and worried and so conditioned that by the time the primaries begin, and their real candidate (whoever that may be) turns up, who is slightly less objectionable but no less a gun-toting, pro-life, raging-defend-the-faith conservative, their real candidate looks brilliant compared to what could have been and swinging voters will look at him/her and say "hey, he doesn't look like that other right wing basket case, I might vote for the GOP this time"?

haha, that's a mouthful to read... sorry folks.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #213 on: December 16, 2015, 05:59:52 AM »
Conspiracy theory time, inspired by a news grab I just saw 5 minutes ago about another silly line from the Don.

Is the whole trump thing a ploy by the GOP to put up someone so objectionable and ridiculous to get the populace shit-scared and worried and so conditioned that by the time the primaries begin, and their real candidate (whoever that may be) turns up, who is slightly less objectionable but no less a gun-toting, pro-life, raging-defend-the-faith conservative, their real candidate looks brilliant compared to what could have been and swinging voters will look at him/her and say "hey, he doesn't look like that other right wing basket case, I might vote for the GOP this time"?

haha, that's a mouthful to read... sorry folks.

Blue state republicans(read moderate) tend to pick the presidential candidate despite all the ulta-conservative talk they are really middle of road; see Romney and McCain(and GWB for that matter when he ran in 2000). Yes Romney spewed things that sounded conservative in the primary but everyone knew he enacted universal healthcare insurance in Massachuesetts (precursor to ACA). McCain uses being a war hawk, vet, POW as his conservative cred(similar to Lindsey Graham) but he is in fact one of the most liberal Republicans in the Senate. As a note, the war hawk thing I don't really consider to be a conservative credential; see Hillary or most in the democratic party for that matter(I know that what they want to do is "no boots on the ground" or "soft power" but at the end of the day they still want to mettle). For a real conservative in this regard see William Buckley or Eisenhower. In all likelihood I think the nominee will be Rubio(consevativy-middle of the road, confused) or even Jeb(deal-maker).

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
As a note, the war hawk thing I don't really consider to be a conservative credential; see Hillary or most in the democratic party for that matter(I know that what they want to do is "no boots on the ground" or "soft power" but at the end of the day they still want to mettle).

Interesting comment, to me, as a non-American. Our views on US presidents tend to be formed based on economic & foreign policy only. Many prominent commentators in Europe see (Bill) Clinton as your last good president, which I'm sure won't be echoed by many people in the US itself.

This is based on his reduction of US deficit and the long period of economic growth during his 2 terms, but also succesfully keeping the US out of large-scale, ineffective military action, while still managing to bring US influence to bear on sorting out several ongoing conflicts (e.g. Haiti, Bosnia, Northern Ireland.) Very much talk softly but carry a large stick approach.You could argue that he could have done more in Rwanda, but then in hindsight, so could other world leaders.

So it's interesting that 20 years on, both parties are relatively hawkish.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »
As a note, the war hawk thing I don't really consider to be a conservative credential; see Hillary or most in the democratic party for that matter(I know that what they want to do is "no boots on the ground" or "soft power" but at the end of the day they still want to mettle).

Interesting comment, to me, as a non-American. Our views on US presidents tend to be formed based on economic & foreign policy only. Many prominent commentators in Europe see (Bill) Clinton as your last good president, which I'm sure won't be echoed by many people in the US itself.

This is based on his reduction of US deficit and the long period of economic growth during his 2 terms, but also succesfully keeping the US out of large-scale, ineffective military action, while still managing to bring US influence to bear on sorting out several ongoing conflicts (e.g. Haiti, Bosnia, Northern Ireland.) Very much talk softly but carry a large stick approach.You could argue that he could have done more in Rwanda, but then in hindsight, so could other world leaders.

Yes it would be, lol, at least on the Dem side.  Many Dems find Pres. Obama too conservative.   

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »

Yes it would be, lol, at least on the Dem side.  Many Dems find Pres. Obama too conservative.
Yes, with that it would be Bush or Obama, whether reluctantly or not, have been "warring" presidents. So if looking at the last three presidents I would agree.

gin1984-yeah, i think a lot of libertarians and ulta conservatives in a way hoped obama would have been more liberal (no war-less deficit spending, greater civil liberties-repeal at least some of patriot act, TARP and wall street bailouts) instead same ol', same ol'.

But just because Bill ended up a decent president(or presided when things went well) does not mean Hillary will be. Married does not mean they have the same opinions, tact and method.

Think about it this way, presidents are usually thought of well if they do not do anything too drastic.
Bush I, "Read my lips..."-raised taxes(First Iraq war was pretty well provoked and did not involve nation building, FWIW).

Clintion, lied about sex-eh, reformed welfare, democratic majority gun ban cost them the '94 elections (but had the 10 year expiration so was not as damaging as it could have been to Dem Party).

Bush II, Two large wars and lots of spending, Patriot Act-on a level with Alien and Sedition Acts in terms of violation of civil liberties, passed Medicare part D(does not make a lot of sense politically why they thought it would help Rep. Party).

Obama-largest entitlement expansion in generations(maybe ever, we shall see), maintained Patriot Act, expanded drone strikes(extra judicial killings).

If the next president can keep us out of wars, and dial down the liberty violations, reduce deficit spending, and generally not try to "accomplish" anything they will probably make a lasting congressional majority and presidential office holding for their party. I know this sounds cynical or pessimistic or something but we are the richest, most powerful country in the world, we want status quo.

Since someone will mention this.... Had Gore been a decent politician he could have beaten Bush. Distanced himself from Clinton, and had no real memorable platform (see 'lockbox'-what is that?). Don't act weird during debates, show some pictures of him hunting or target shooting, get in front of NAFTA, and be more personable(a shame they have to do this but it is necessary).

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: December 16, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
My recap of the debate last night, feel free to tell me I am wrong, just add in why. :) (a lot of this is based off of who "won" last night in terms of performance on the stage without much regard for actual policy stances)

Trump: Talked a lot of shit, had some great one-liners that will fill the upcoming news cycle, didn't make any major mistakes, he will keep his crazy base support and stay about where he is in the polls.

Cruz: Did ok, any points he did make were drawn on in dialogue too long to make into a short video clip (sad this needs to be done in today's age) I think his lead in Iowa might stagnate. Had a tense exchange where he tried to talk over the moderator, made him look like kind of an asshole.

Carson: Was unfairly asked if he was ok with murdering thousands of children on a bs question about being willing to hit ISIS with airstrikes. I am sure he will get some donor sympathy $.

Fiorina: Grasping at straws and made no headway. Seemed desperate.

Rubio: Strong performance, got a lot of airtime and stood his own during the many attacks from other candidates.

Rand Paul: Had a few solid answers but nothing noteworthy enough to move him significantly in the polls.

Chris Christie: Kicked a moderate amount of ass on a few questions but didn't do enough to shift the political winds much.

Kasich: I could not listen after his first question, the only thing I could focus on was his karate chopping the air the entire time he was answering every question the rest of the debate. It was truly strange. (I liked him in the last few debates not sure what happened)

Jeb: Attempted to get the one up on Trump and got metaphorically bitch slapped by him. I will be surprised if he is still in the race in two and a half months.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: December 16, 2015, 02:08:41 PM »
Carson again showed his lack of foreign policy last night, multiple times,  the most memorable being when he was asked if he agreed with  Rubio or Paul on an issue, and he said  I don't know,  let them fight it out.

Rand Paul attacked everyone all night, and talked about tiny bit about issues, I agree with him in most cases and wish he knew how to get votes.

Trump used the same insults as the last couple debates and I think Bush won in a couple of there hissy fits.

Kasich just  talked about how him and his daughter hate politics because of all the  fighting.

Rubio, Cruz and christie didn't change

Fiorina is done

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #219 on: December 18, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
It's amazing how excited I would be for Rick Perry right now. I don't even like Rick Perry!

I don't know what the hell Rand Paul is doing with his Syria comments. They're all over the place. I knocked on doors in Iowa for his father but he is just running a terrible campaign.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: December 18, 2015, 12:24:40 PM »
Dear Republican Candidates:

I, MandalayVA, humbly offer my services to you as a campaign advisor. 

You know how you see those ads on the internet like "one weird trick to lose belly fat" or "one simple rule to lower your car insurance"? 

Well, what if I told you there was one simple way to ensure that you will be the next president of the United States?  Really, just one little thing you would need to do that will have millions upon millions of voters standing in line on Election Day frothing at the mouth to cast their precious votes for you, totally not kidding.

Come closer and I'll whisper it to you:

Support a woman's right to choose.

You don't have to like it.  Just support it.  And mean it.  No lip service, no bait and switch.

If you choose to take my advice, I do expect to be compensated according to your means, as I am not greedy.  Except for Trump--you better cough up good, you poofy-haired bastard.

Sincerely,
MandalayVA

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2015, 12:40:11 PM »
Except for Trump--you better cough up good, you poofy-haired bastard.

That's the worst kind of bastard!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
Dear Republican Candidates:

I, MandalayVA, humbly offer my services to you as a campaign advisor. 

You know how you see those ads on the internet like "one weird trick to lose belly fat" or "one simple rule to lower your car insurance"? 

Well, what if I told you there was one simple way to ensure that you will be the next president of the United States?  Really, just one little thing you would need to do that will have millions upon millions of voters standing in line on Election Day frothing at the mouth to cast their precious votes for you, totally not kidding.

Come closer and I'll whisper it to you:

You don't have to like it.  Just support it.  And mean it.  No lip service, no bait and switch.

If you choose to take my advice, I do expect to be compensated according to your means, as I am not greedy.  Except for Trump--you better cough up good, you poofy-haired bastard.

Sincerely,
MandalayVA
As much as I would like to see a Republican president who supported womens rights, gay rights, etc. I personally don't think they would be electable. Many republicans are very religious and will not vote for a candidate just because they support womens rights. Sure they will get some votes and make a lot of people happy, and they might even slowly start to move republicans to the left on some social issues, but they will almost certainly not get the nomination. If they somehow got the nomination I think they would have a slightly better chance at winning the presidency as a lot of times the more central candidates have a slight edge, but it's just that I don't think they could become the GOP candidate

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: December 19, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »

Maybe the don't want the moral responsibility for condoning the murder millions.

Otherwise i agree with the setiment. They seem like they keepi heading in the same political direction as each other, whereas this past spring the seemed a good deal different from each other. As far as your concern trump is probably ur best bet.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »
I thought from the beginning the only legitimate chance Bernie would have is if the FBI investigation regarding Hillary's emails turned up something huge. Something I thought was highly unlikely. This just hit the news today (front page of drudge, however I have never heard of the publication Lifezette and do not know how reputable they are) Clinton instructed an aide to remove the classification marking from information, a federal offense. http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/smoking-gun-email-suggests-hillary-committed-a-crime/

What say you? Will this actually catch on and give Bernie a shot? Or will the Right get super into the story while the Left blows it off and most moderates of either party shrug their shoulders and ask about more important issues?

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #225 on: January 08, 2016, 02:46:55 PM »
I thought from the beginning the only legitimate chance Bernie would have is if the FBI investigation regarding Hillary's emails turned up something huge. Something I thought was highly unlikely. This just hit the news today (front page of drudge, however I have never heard of the publication Lifezette and do not know how reputable they are) Clinton instructed an aide to remove the classification marking from information, a federal offense. http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/smoking-gun-email-suggests-hillary-committed-a-crime/

What say you? Will this actually catch on and give Bernie a shot? Or will the Right get super into the story while the Left blows it off and most moderates of either party shrug their shoulders and ask about more important issues?

That's Laura Ingraham's personally made news site. About as unbiased as breitbart.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: January 08, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »

That's Laura Ingraham's personally made news site. About as unbiased as breitbart.

Touche, you learn something new every day, thank you. Also found it on CBS news though with a much different tone and more ambiguity on whether or not  the information was in fact classified http://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-department-releases-more-clinton-emails-several-marked-classified/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:13:44 PM by trailrated »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »
my legitimate criticism here is that we need to shuffle up our entire primary system if we ever want to select presidential candidates that are agreeable to one party yet still tolerable to the opposing party.

I agree that the entire primary system makes no sense.  Why do some states get all the electoral power by being early while others with more people get ignored?  Why isn't this process just randomized every year, or put on a fixed rotating schedule?  I don't care what the order is, you could alphabetize then and then skip ahead three places every year for all I care, as long as every state eventually gets to decide.  Fuck Iowa and New Hampshire, why are they so special?

As for your suggestion that we might choose a candidate who is agreeable to both parties, that's not how America was set up.  Our electoral system is deliberately confrontational.  There are lots of other fair ways to choose presidents that maximize everyone's happiness, but we choose the system that is guaranteed to disappoint a majority of people the most instead.  The republicans have masterfully exploited this system since Nixon, and Trump is just all those chickens coming home to roost.  Congratulations on reaping what ye have sown.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #228 on: January 08, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
...republicans have masterfully exploited this system since Nixon
Dole, McCain, and Romney might disagree, or I might have misunderstood the point...?

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »
my legitimate criticism here is that we need to shuffle up our entire primary system if we ever want to select presidential candidates that are agreeable to one party yet still tolerable to the opposing party.

I agree that the entire primary system makes no sense.  Why do some states get all the electoral power by being early while others with more people get ignored?  Why isn't this process just randomized every year, or put on a fixed rotating schedule?  I don't care what the order is, you could alphabetize then and then skip ahead three places every year for all I care, as long as every state eventually gets to decide.  Fuck Iowa and New Hampshire, why are they so special.

Iowa, NH, South Carolina, and Nevada are the first four because they're relatively small (making it easier to campaign without a ton of money) and in four distinct regions of the country. Most of the time they don't select a nominee, they just winnow the field. Super Tuesday is more important for the actual selection in competitive races.

That said, I think it would be good to rotate in other small states.

TheNick

• Stubble
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2016, 12:00:09 AM »
No criticism really, only a note that this field - on both sides - is seriously appalling. Is this the most pathetic presidential field ever produced? Or am I just getting increasingly cynical?

I know for a fact I'm getting increasingly cynical, but I also agree it's a pathetic field...

Haha...I agree with you guys.

Democrats are just trying to ram Clinton down our throats and I despise her, I think she is as corrupt and evil as a politican can be, and Sanders...the guy brags about being a socialist.  I'm a limited government fiscally conservative type guy...I'm not going to vote for someone that wants to increase spending by 17 trillion over the next decade...and I especially don't want to get socked by the tax increased that will accompany that.  Democrats lately also disgust me in their support of illegal aliens trying to pander to them for the hispanic vote.  Its terrible they have to throw the country under the bus just to try to pick a few votes up, and try to make it a big race issue when it is not.  If we were being invaded by millions of illegal white European immigrants I'd be saying send them out too...its a matter of laws that are their for a good reason...every other country boots their illegals out...we put ours on welfare and let them stay.  Why even have a border or citizenship if people can just cross on a whim and stay here if they feel like it?

Republicans though...I'm wondering why at least half the field hasn't dropped already.  I find myself agreeing with quite a bit of what Trump says...but he can't seem to go more than a week without saying something that just makes me facepalm.  Bush...he's like the republican version of Clinton...he's the candidate the party seems to really want to push but I'd rather see some fresh blood in there...no more Bush's or Clinton's.  I don't know who's going to get the republican nod at this point but its looking a lot like the republicans will get my vote because they are the lesser of two evils this time around.

TheNick

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2016, 12:33:12 AM »
As for your suggestion that we might choose a candidate who is agreeable to both parties, that's not how America was set up.  Our electoral system is deliberately confrontational.  There are lots of other fair ways to choose presidents that maximize everyone's happiness, but we choose the system that is guaranteed to disappoint a majority of people the most instead.  The republicans have masterfully exploited this system since Nixon, and Trump is just all those chickens coming home to roost.  Congratulations on reaping what ye have sown.

Its all good how it is right now...the left gets some time in charge to mess things up for a while, then people get sick of them and the right gets a turn to fix things.  Only...the right messes things up even more, so people will vote them out to give the left a turn to fix things.  Of course, once the left gets back in power they mess things up even more and piss everyone off, and the right gets voted back in to fix things.

Trumps popularity isn't the result of republicans exploiting the system...its a result of people being fed up with Obama's crap, the same way Obama winning the election was a result of people being fed up with Bush's crap.  How often in the last 100 years has one party held the office for more than 8 years?  Republicans after Reagan and democrats after FDR...two presidents who were both viewed far more favorably than not.  Considering Obama is viewed more unfavorably than favorably going into his last year in office he's not going to be an asset for the next democrat running for president.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2016, 01:09:46 AM »
agree with you guys.
Democrats are just trying to ram Clinton down our throats

Ram?  She'll either get a majority of the votes or she won't.  She hasn't even won a primary yet, that hardly feels like ramming.

I think she is as corrupt and evil as a politican can be

That's a bold statement.  Maybe exaggerated a bit?  Do you really think she's more evil than Pol Pot?  More evil than Stalin?  I can think lots of politicians I think are way more evil than Hillary Clinton.

and Sanders...the guy brags about being a socialist.

The guy brags about being a socialist because he recognizes that effective governance requires accepting good ideas no matter where they come from.  Obama adopted Republican's version of health care and pushed for it, even though the idea came from his political opposition.  GHW Bush signed the START treaties.  Try not to let the labels scare you too much.  They tend to interfere with critical thinking.

I'm a limited government fiscally conservative type guy...I'm not going to vote for someone that wants to increase spending by 17 trillion over the next decade...

Did you vote for George W Bush?

and I especially don't want to get socked by the tax increased that will accompany that.

What kind of tax increase do you think that will be?  Higher than we had under Bill Clinton in the late 1990s?  Higher than we had under Eisenhower in the 1950s? 

Democrats lately also disgust me in their support of illegal aliens trying to pander to them for the hispanic vote.

I don't think it's "pandering" to say "not all Mexican immigrants are drug dealers and rapists" but maybe you do.  What else have you seen that you consider pandering, and how is it different from voter outreach to other groups?  Say farmers, or Wall St, or senior citizens?

If we were being invaded by millions of illegal white European immigrants I'd be saying send them out too

When did your family arrive in America?  Where your ancestors despised Italian immigrants, or maybe despised Irish immigrants?  Poles?  Jews?  Pilgrims?  Man, if only the Native Americans had done a better job of enforcing their borders...

every other country boots their illegals out...we put ours on welfare and let them stay.

You're clearly very confused about the state of the world, so let's see if I can clear these up for you.

1.  The US deports more people than any other country in the world.
2.  Illegal immigrants do not and cannot receive welfare in the United States.

If you're still unclear on either of those points, just ask and I'll try to be more clear.  I suspect someone has been feeding you faulty information.  Maybe someone pandering to your xenophobia.

I find myself agreeing with quite a bit of what Trump says...

Awesome!  I've been waiting to meet someone like you.  Can you be a little more specific about what Trump has said that you agree with?  Because from my perspective, everything that comes out of that man's mouth is either nonsense or a lie.  Or bravado, I guess, but I consider that a little of both.

Like do you agree with his plans to round up and deport every illegal immigrant in America?  Do you agree with his plan to outlaw Islam in America?  Do you agree that Carly Fiorina has an ugly face?

Do you agree with his position on prison reform, nonproliferation, abortion, drug legalization, social security reform, energy policy, foreign policy, education reform, homeland security, environmental regulation, and how to best reduce crime rates and teen pregnancy?  No?  Is it because he doesn't have an expressed opinion on any of those things and you just like him because he's a loudmouth jerk who pisses people off for fun and that's funny?

TheNick

• Stubble
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2016, 03:06:46 AM »
agree with you guys.

Ram?  She'll either get a majority of the votes or she won't.  She hasn't even won a primary yet, that hardly feels like ramming.

Yes ram...the same way the republicans have tried to do it with Bush.  Even Bernie's campaign says the same...Saying the national party violated its pledged neutrality with the punishment, Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver threatened to sue the DNC in federal court and accused the national party of “trying to help the Clinton campaign” with “our data [that] has been stolen by the DNC.”

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bernie-sanders-campaign-declares-war-the-dnc

Or...how about that O'Malley fellow complaining the democrats debate schedule is an attempt to rig the process.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/08/omalley-slams-dnc-rigged-debate-schedule-wasserman-schultz-not-pleased/

Yeah...I think the democratic party was trying their hardest to ram Clinton down our throats.

I think she is as corrupt and evil as a politican can be
That's a bold statement.  Maybe exaggerated a bit?  Do you really think she's more evil than Pol Pot?  More evil than Stalin?  I can think lots of politicians I think are way more evil than Hillary Clinton.

I was speaking in regards to American politicians...and yes, I do believe she is one of the most evil and corrupt political figures in American politics right now.

The guy brags about being a socialist because he recognizes that effective governance requires accepting good ideas no matter where they come from.  Obama adopted Republican's version of health care and pushed for it, even though the idea came from his political opposition.  GHW Bush signed the START treaties.  Try not to let the labels scare you too much.  They tend to interfere with critical thinking.

No he doesn't.  The guy brags about being a socialist because he is an extreme left winger.  Obama didn't adopt the republican's version of healthcare...ZERO republicans voted for it.  He tried his hardest to lock republicans out of the process and only gave up on the idea of universal healthcare because he couldn't even get enough democrats to support it.  Maybe it was similar to ideas some republicans have had in the past, or Romneycare, but it was hardly Obama adopting a republican policy.  And uh...the START treaties were originally proposed by Reagan and had more support on both sides of the aisle than Obamacare had with its 0 votes from one side...so whats your point?  Are you trying to say Obama is more partisan than GHW Bush was, because that's all I got out of that.

I'm a limited government fiscally conservative type guy...I'm not going to vote for someone that wants to increase spending by 17 trillion over the next decade...
Did you vote for George W Bush?

Yes actually.  I was too young to vote the first time around and the second time around he planned on spending less money than Kerry so he got my vote.  I wouldn't say I agreed with the guy on all issues, but I certainly preferred him over a tax and spend liberal.

and I especially don't want to get socked by the tax increased that will accompany that.
What kind of tax increase do you think that will be?  Higher than we had under Bill Clinton in the late 1990s?  Higher than we had under Eisenhower in the 1950s? 

Well let's just look at the facts.  Our federal deficit last year was about 500b, and Sanders wants to increase spending by 17 trillion over the next 10 years...so 1.7 trillion a year.  Tax revenue would have to go up by 2.3 trillion a year for Sanders just to balance the budget...let alone start paying the debt down.  Our gdp last year was 18.125 trillion...so we'd have to increase taxation by 12.6% of our gdp to balance the budget.  What would the tax rates be?  I have no clue...maybe income taxes would stay where they are and we'd get a national sales tax.  Its really irrelevant what the tax rates would be, the bottom line is I don't want the government owning another 12.6% of our gdp, and the only alternative to that under Sanders would be to keep running the debt up.

Democrats lately also disgust me in their support of illegal aliens trying to pander to them for the hispanic vote.
I don't think it's "pandering" to say "not all Mexican immigrants are drug dealers and rapists" but maybe you do.  What else have you seen that you consider pandering, and how is it different from voter outreach to other groups?  Say farmers, or Wall St, or senior citizens?

Well for starters, I'm not concerned about whether Mexican's are or are not rapists and drug dealers...what I'm concerned about is the ones that don't want to respect our borders and our immigration laws.  Its not a race issue...if white Canadians were illegally crossing the border from the north I'd feel the same way.  Illegal aliens are illegal...they shouldn't get a free pass because of the color of their skin.  I'm all for immigration as long as its limited and controlled so we can actually absorb people into society and so we know who we are getting...and we have had laws in place doing that since 1921.  No, I'm not for illegal immigration.  Its two completely separate issues.

As far as pandering for other groups is concerned, whether I agree with it or not its really irrelevant, and its never going to go away, my point was the democrats are pandering to a criminal population, and that is what is wrong.

If we were being invaded by millions of illegal white European immigrants I'd be saying send them out too
When did your family arrive in America?  Where your ancestors despised Italian immigrants, or maybe despised Irish immigrants?  Poles?  Jews?  Pilgrims?  Man, if only the Native Americans had done a better job of enforcing their borders...

Yeah, we shouldn't make the same mistake they did.  Look how it turned out for them.

every other country boots their illegals out...we put ours on welfare and let them stay.
You're clearly very confused about the state of the world, so let's see if I can clear these up for you.

1.  The US deports more people than any other country in the world.
2.  Illegal immigrants do not and cannot receive welfare in the United States.

If you're still unclear on either of those points, just ask and I'll try to be more clear.  I suspect someone has been feeding you faulty information.  Maybe someone pandering to your xenophobia.

Let's see if I can clear things up for you.
1.  We have more illegal immigrants living in our borders than any other country in the world.  Do you realize, we have more illegal immigrants living here right now than many other countries even have as a total population of legal citizens?  Maybe we deport more but obviously we are still doing something very wrong if we still have so many here.
2.  http://news.yahoo.com/legacy-obamas-illegal-alien-aunt-070000221.html;_ylt=AwrBT7Se0pBWmhIAv8xXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExaWVyM3B1BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDREZENl8xBHNlYwNzcg--

Yeah...right...I guess that lady didn't exist...and millions more do the same crap she did.  Why does it shock you that people who are here illegally to begin with would game the system even more once they are over here?

Plus even if they aren't necessarily getting welfare money, a lot of them aren't paying taxes while they have no problem sending their kids to public schools and making use of other tax payer funded services and infrastructure.

I find myself agreeing with quite a bit of what Trump says...
Awesome!  I've been waiting to meet someone like you.  Can you be a little more specific about what Trump has said that you agree with?  Because from my perspective, everything that comes out of that man's mouth is either nonsense or a lie.  Or bravado, I guess, but I consider that a little of both.

Like do you agree with his plans to round up and deport every illegal immigrant in America?  Do you agree with his plan to outlaw Islam in America?  Do you agree that Carly Fiorina has an ugly face?

Do you agree with his position on prison reform, nonproliferation, abortion, drug legalization, social security reform, energy policy, foreign policy, education reform, homeland security, environmental regulation, and how to best reduce crime rates and teen pregnancy?  No?  Is it because he doesn't have an expressed opinion on any of those things and you just like him because he's a loudmouth jerk who pisses people off for fun and that's funny?

Lol...where did I say I liked the guy?  I said I agree with a lot of what he says, but he can't go more than a week without saying something that makes me face palm.  That doesn't mean I like him...leaders need to have a filter, and he certainly doesn't act in a presidential manner.

Otherwise...yes I agree with him on cracking down on illegal immigration...no I don't think we need a wall.  Yes I agreed with him when he said we shouldn't be taking in refugees from Syria right now because we have no way of vetting them and don't know if we are getting extremists(not that they can't just walk up from Mexico anyhow)....no I don't think we should ban Islam.  Yes, I think its great he supports the our second amendment rights and wants a national carry license, because the current state license system is idiotic.  Raising the standard deduction to 25k I think is a great idea to help lower income earners...no I don't think his tax policy as a whole will balance the budget.  I think his proposal to lower corporate taxes is great to give businesses more incentive to stay here...as the current rate is one of the highest in the world and it leaves us not very competitive in a global economy.

As far as those things go they you say he has no position on...again...if you actually read what I said...I said I agreed with a lot of what he says...kinda hard for me to agree with something he has said if he didn't say it, isn't it?  Maybe you should actually think about what you read instead of just jumping to conclusions next time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:13:01 AM by TheNick »

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2016, 07:11:53 AM »

I was speaking in regards to American politicians...and yes, I do believe she is one of the most evil and corrupt political figures in American politics right now.

Whenever I hear someone accuse a politician of being EVIL it comes across as ignorant hyperbole. Honestly you might as well be talking about a bald headed Austin Powers villain.

On the other hand, accusing Clinton of being the most corrupt politician is much more mundane. It's like identifying which latrine smells the worst.

Well let's just look at the facts.  Our federal deficit last year was about 500b, and Sanders wants to increase spending by 17 trillion over the next 10 years...so 1.7 trillion a year.  Tax revenue would have to go up by 2.3 trillion a year for Sanders just to balance the budget...let alone start paying the debt down.  Our gdp last year was 18.125 trillion...so we'd have to increase taxation by 12.6% of our gdp to balance the budget.  What would the tax rates be?  I have no clue...maybe income taxes would stay where they are and we'd get a national sales tax.  Its really irrelevant what the tax rates would be, the bottom line is I don't want the government owning another 12.6% of our gdp, and the only alternative to that under Sanders would be to keep running the debt up.

Let's just be clear. When the government collects taxes, it just doesn't hoard the money in some treasure chest. It does not OWN that part of GPD. The government uses that money. In Sanders case he wants to provide free college education. Thus the tax money would go to pay for college education, allowing more kids to attend college without the current debt. In multiple ways the money would stimulate the economy.

If government were actually producing the goods and services, that WOULD be owning the GDP. In regards to the military industrial complex, which only exists because of military spending, that can be considered the government owning that part of the GDP. That's just not the case in regards to what Sanders is proposing.

Now it is reasonable to oppose this if you don't like government redistribution, which based on your other opinions I presume you do not.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2016, 11:21:50 AM »
agree with you guys.

Yes ram...the same way the republicans have tried to do it with Bush.  Even Bernie's campaign says the same...Saying the national party violated its pledged neutrality with the punishment, Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver threatened to sue the DNC in federal court and accused the national party of “trying to help the Clinton campaign” with “our data [that] has been stolen by the DNC.”

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bernie-sanders-campaign-declares-war-the-dnc

Or...how about that O'Malley fellow complaining the democrats debate schedule is an attempt to rig the process.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/08/omalley-slams-dnc-rigged-debate-schedule-wasserman-schultz-not-pleased/

Yeah...I think the democratic party was trying their hardest to ram Clinton down our throats.

Agreed. In fact, many progressives are so fed up about it that they're now calling for Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, the DNC chairperson, to resign because of her blatant bias.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »
For a thread that started out about "legitimate criticisms" of each candidate and tried to list pros vs cons, we've really gone down hill.  Now we're on to accusations of evil and ugly name calling?  How are those legitimate criticisms?

Here's my legitimate criticism of Donald Trump: he's a jerk with a big mouth and bad hair.  That seems about as legitimate as the rest of the recent posts in this thread.

What is the world coming to?  Are we truly unable to have adult conversations here?

TheNick

• Stubble
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
Let's just be clear. When the government collects taxes, it just doesn't hoard the money in some treasure chest. It does not OWN that part of GPD. The government uses that money. In Sanders case he wants to provide free college education. Thus the tax money would go to pay for college education, allowing more kids to attend college without the current debt. In multiple ways the money would stimulate the economy.

If government were actually producing the goods and services, that WOULD be owning the GDP. In regards to the military industrial complex, which only exists because of military spending, that can be considered the government owning that part of the GDP. That's just not the case in regards to what Sanders is proposing.

Now it is reasonable to oppose this if you don't like government redistribution, which based on your other opinions I presume you do not.

This is my problem with the Sander's mentality.  We shouldn't be saying how can we get person x to pay for person y to go to college...we should be saying why the hell has the cost of college been exploding over the last several decades?  Its really a lot like the housing bubble when you look at it...government legislates lots of high risk cheap loans...price of college/housing sky rockets...eventually bubble bursts.  Is "free" college, aka someone else paying for your college, going to fix this, or just give people more incentive to go to more expensive schools and stay in college longer?

Plus you really can't justify spending a ton of money on something, just because we spend a lot on our military.  Its just like when you were a wee little dramaman and your mommy told you two wrongs don't make a right.  If we spend too much on our military and foreign intervention, we should be look at our military spending, not just using it as an excuse to throw a bunch of money at another broken system when again, the problem with college right now is exploding costs...simply spreading the cost out a bit more isn't going to do anything to solve the actual problem...it will just kick the can down the road a little further like Obamacare did with spreading out the cost of insurance a bit instead of actually focusing on why the heck the cost of care itself has been consistently outpacing inflation for years now.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:34:35 PM by TheNick »

TheNick

• Stubble
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2016, 08:41:51 PM »
For a thread that started out about "legitimate criticisms" of each candidate and tried to list pros vs cons, we've really gone down hill.  Now we're on to accusations of evil and ugly name calling?  How are those legitimate criticisms?

Here's my legitimate criticism of Donald Trump: he's a jerk with a big mouth and bad hair.  That seems about as legitimate as the rest of the recent posts in this thread.

What is the world coming to?  Are we truly unable to have adult conversations here?

Lol...you were already name calling in your last post...why complain about it like you are looking down on it when you've already done it.

he's a loudmouth jerk

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2016, 09:44:58 PM »
Plus you really can't justify spending a ton of money on something, just because we spend a lot on our military.  Its just like when you were a wee little dramaman and your mommy told you two wrongs don't make a right.  If we spend too much on our military and foreign intervention, we should be look at our military spending, not just using it as an excuse to throw a bunch of money at another broken system...

I don't see anyone arguing that excessive military spending justifies Sander's plan to offer free college. The main arguments for the plan seems to be the general benefit of having a well educated work force and that going to college should not be dependent upon one's ability to pay or go into debt. The fact that other countries are able to do this proves that the plan is doable. It just depends upon whether enough Americans truly want to pay for it. I question whether that is the case.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »
why the hell has the cost of college been exploding over the last several decades? 

The primary driver of rising college costs in the US over the past few decades has been the reduction in funding from state legislatures to support public universities.  You may have noticed that expensive private colleges have gotten a little bit more expensive, while previously inexpensive public colleges have gotten WAY more expensive. 

So ultimately, when people complain about the rising cost of college what they're really complaining about is reduced state spending on education.  Previously, states allocated funds to support their public universities because they believed that a well educated workforce helped their state economies to grow and prosper.  When times got tough in the state house, budgets needed balancing, and state universities took it on the chin to close the books for the rest of the state programs.  Their reasoning was that state universities didn't really need that funding in the same way that Heath and Human Services did, because the universities could always just raise tuition to make up the shortfall.  Look at that system as a whole, and you see that reduced tax rates for everyone were effectively offset with increased effective taxes for families with college-bound kids (typically wealthier families).

There is some additional complication to this system because the process for granting federal financial aid was not constant over these decades, and increased aid probably helped offset rising tuition costs too.  But the amount of federal aid available didn't rise by 500% the way that state university tuition did.  Those cost increases were mostly driven by the drastic reductions in support from state legislatures.

A third reason why college costs have gone up so much is unrelated to tuition; the total Cost of Attendance at any university is the combination of tuition costs and living expenses and the living expenses in college towns have been rising much faster than the national average.  At some schools (here's looking at you, NYC) students typically pay more for rent than they do for tuition.  So in practice, the rising cost of college has been at least partly due to rising real estate prices.  Hard to fault anyone for that one.

the problem with college right now is exploding costs...simply spreading the cost out a bit more isn't going to do anything to solve the actual problem

I think spreading the cost is exactly the right answer.

The cost to provide a university education hasn't actually changed that much over the years; schools always needed building and chalkboards and books and teachers.  The big thing that has changed is that we've stopped "spreading the cost out" because we no longer pay those costs with tax dollars, and instead charge the students themselves, via higher tuition rates.  Just look at the cost increases at public vs private universities if you need convincing.

We're a little off topic, Nick, but your criticisms of Sanders were largely based on his desire to make college more affordable by reallocating taxes back to the way they were before, so that states would support public education in the interest of growing their own economies by producing educated workers.  I don't see that as "taking" money from anyone to pay for anyone else, I see that as good public policy.  I think America should be investing in an educated workforce just like it should be investing in a skilled trade workforce.  Every time you cut government spending for education, you diminish the productivity of our aggregate economic engine.  Maybe not right away in the first year, but eventually.  If you make college unaffordable then we won't have college educated workers, and those professional jobs will go to people educated in Europe or Asia instead.

And don't even get me started on the national security implications of letting the American population fall behind the rest of the world.  China already graduates almost twice as many PhD engineers as the US does, and over half of US engineering PhDs are people from foreign countries who will graduate and then return to their home countries.  At the bachelor's level, some estimates suggest that China graduates more working engineers each year than the US has  currently employed across our entire economy.  How long do you think we can maintain superior military technology if that imbalance isn't rectified?

TheNick

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: January 14, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »
The primary driver of rising college costs in the US over the past few decades has been the reduction in funding from state legislatures to support public universities.  You may have noticed that expensive private colleges have gotten a little bit more expensive, while previously inexpensive public colleges have gotten WAY more expensive. 

Why no Sol, I haven't noticed that, but that isn't what has happened.  Here are some facts Sol.

http://trends.collegeboard.org/college-pricing/figures-tables/tuition-and-fees-and-room-and-board-over-time-1975-76-2015-16-selected-years

From 85-86 until 2015-2016 the average price of private tuition, fees, room and board has increased by 24,213 dollars.  Public during the same period has increased by 11,005.  I wouldn't exactly call a 24k a year increase a little bit more expensive and and 11k increase WAY more expensive Sol.

So ultimately, when people complain about the rising cost of college what they're really complaining about is reduced state spending on education.

No Sol...when I complain about the cost of college, I'm complaining about the cost of college.

http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Articles/Education_Inflation.asp

Check out the data in graph form Sol, maybe its easier for you to digest.  Why has inflation in that period gone up 115% why college costs have gone up 498%?  When people complain about rising costs of education, that is what they are complaining about.

There is some additional complication to this system because the process for granting federal financial aid was not constant over these decades, and increased aid probably helped offset rising tuition costs too.  But the amount of federal aid available didn't rise by 500% the way that state university tuition did.  Those cost increases were mostly driven by the drastic reductions in support from state legislatures.

Yup, and it didn't rise fast enough to keep pace with private tuition either.

A third reason why college costs have gone up so much is unrelated to tuition; the total Cost of Attendance at any university is the combination of tuition costs and living expenses and the living expenses in college towns have been rising much faster than the national average.  At some schools (here's looking at you, NYC) students typically pay more for rent than they do for tuition.  So in practice, the rising cost of college has been at least partly due to rising real estate prices.  Hard to fault anyone for that one.

No, its pretty easy to fault someone for that.  We all have choices of what college we want to attend...if people want to pay through their teeth just to go to school in NYC that is their choice, nothing was stopping them from commuting to a local, more affordable school.

I think spreading the cost is exactly the right answer.

No Sol...this doesn't fix the issue.  What did we accomplish if we spread the cost out a little more, yet the cost of the product continues to rise beyond inflation for decades in the future, like it has for the last several?  Do we just spread the costs a little more and call it a win?

If the price of milk sky rocketed over the next decade to the point milk was 30 dollars a gallon, would you be saying no problem...let's just have the government subsidize the cost of milk so it cost maybe the 5 dollars a gallon it should and all will be well?  NO!  You'd be saying what the heck...there is no reason for milk to cost 30 dollars a gallon, why has the price of milk shot up so fast over the last 10 years, wouldn't you?

The cost to provide a university education hasn't actually changed that much over the years; schools always needed building and chalkboards and books and teachers.  The big thing that has changed is that we've stopped "spreading the cost out" because we no longer pay those costs with tax dollars, and instead charge the students themselves, via higher tuition rates.  Just look at the cost increases at public vs private universities if you need convincing.

No Sol...the price of college has been out pacing inflation for decades.  You are simply wrong Sol.  Research some facts before posting lies.

We're a little off topic, Nick, but your criticisms of Sanders were largely based on his desire to make college more affordable by reallocating taxes back to the way they were before, so that states would support public education in the interest of growing their own economies by producing educated workers.

No Sol...my main criticism of Sander's was he plans to spend an additional 17 trillion over the next decade as I previously posted, and its simply not doable without massive tax increases or continued levels of unsustainable deficit spending.  College was just one example of why I don't think the guy is a good fit for the job...I don't want a president who is just going to say "College is too expensive...let's throw tax money at it!"  No Sol...I want one who is going to say "College is too expensive...why has it been outpacing inflation for so long now and what can we do to actually fix this issue rather than just stupidly throw money at it while whatever is driving up costs will continue to do such?"

I don't see that as "taking" money from anyone to pay for anyone else, I see that as good public policy.  I think America should be investing in an educated workforce just like it should be investing in a skilled trade workforce.  Every time you cut government spending for education, you diminish the productivity of our aggregate economic engine.  Maybe not right away in the first year, but eventually.  If you make college unaffordable then we won't have college educated workers, and those professional jobs will go to people educated in Europe or Asia instead.

We need to invest in education?  Sir, we are.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp

"At the postsecondary level, U.S. expenditures per FTE student were $26,021, almost twice as high as the OECD average of $13,619."

Its like I've said...the cost is the problem.  Our government is already outspending other nations...why are college costs still unaffordable?  Our government outspending other countries by even more isn't going to make us more competitive when the problem is the baseline cost here is simply out of control.

And don't even get me started on the national security implications of letting the American population fall behind the rest of the world.  China already graduates almost twice as many PhD engineers as the US does, and over half of US engineering PhDs are people from foreign countries who will graduate and then return to their home countries.  At the bachelor's level, some estimates suggest that China graduates more working engineers each year than the US has  currently employed across our entire economy.  How long do you think we can maintain superior military technology if that imbalance isn't rectified?

Let's examine that issue further...

http://www.ncee.org/2014/05/statistic-of-the-month-engineering-and-science-degree-attainment-by-country/

As of 2010 about 1/3 of American adults held bachelors degree or higher.  About 2% of the Chinese population held a bachelors degree or higher.  5% of those degrees in the United States were engineering degrees, and 1/3 of those Chinese degrees were engineering degrees.

Its not that we don't have an educated enough work force or aren't spending enough on college...its that our economy is simply leaving many underemployed and we are pushing out a lot more college graduates with less useful degrees.  Those are things we should be trying to fix...not just throwing more money at a system that isn't working.  I'm not trying to be insulting to anyone here...but a degree in theater, political science, general studies, women's studies, sociology, communications, etc just simply doesn't provide the same job prospects or benefits to the economy that math and science based degrees tend to provide.  If you think its a national security issue that our college grads are lacking in mathematics and sciences how do you think subsidizing more degrees that aren't heavily focused on math or science will provide any benefit?

The sad truth is when I was in college...a lot of people who chased these types of degrees did so because they were easy.  After a year in a STEM program they switch to general studies, because they can put in half the effort, get better grades, and have more time to party!  Perhaps a big part of the problem is cultural issues...our college students are more fixated on the college experience, and the standards of getting into college are so low practically anyone can go, where as getting into college in China is a lot more competitive and for the cream of the crop that do get accepted, they are more focused on meaningful degrees and education.  Throwing more money at colleges isn't going to change this...free college for all would just mean more people are going to go take advantage of 4 years of tax dollar subsidized partying just to end up with less than useful degrees.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »
I don't see that as "taking" money from anyone to pay for anyone else, I see that as good public policy.  I think America should be investing in an educated workforce just like it should be investing in a skilled trade workforce.  Every time you cut government spending for education, you diminish the productivity of our aggregate economic engine.  Maybe not right away in the first year, but eventually.  If you make college unaffordable then we won't have college educated workers, and those professional jobs will go to people educated in Europe or Asia instead.

We need to invest in education?  Sir, we are.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp

"At the postsecondary level, U.S. expenditures per FTE student were $26,021, almost twice as high as the OECD average of $13,619."

Its like I've said...the cost is the problem.  Our government is already outspending other nations...why are college costs still unaffordable?  Our government outspending other countries by even more isn't going to make us more competitive when the problem is the baseline cost here is simply out of control.

Your post had a lot of good data, but you severely misread this report.  That data includes private spending as well, not just government:
Education expenditures are from public revenue sources (governments) and private revenue sources, and include current and capital expenditures. Private sources include payments from households for school-based expenses such as tuition, transportation fees, book rentals, or food services

Also, as with health care, a large portion of the increased expense is because we're a richer country than the OECD average.  That's why the graphs include those regression lines showing that education spending scales very well with per capita GDP.  And that makes sense, since the largest cost is personnel, i.e. salaries which are more expensive in richer countries.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2016, 12:56:36 PM »

No Sol...the price of college has been out pacing inflation for decades.  You are simply wrong Sol.  Research some facts before posting lies.

Actually you are both correct (but mostly Sol).
According to The College Board, the average 2014-2015 tuition increase was 3.7 percent at private colleges, and 2.9 percent at public universities. However, looking back at the last decade, the 10-year historical rate of increase is approximately 5 percent.
5% is greater than inflation but not by much.  And the public college increase, is as Sol said, mostly because of lack of state aid. 

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2016, 01:58:29 PM »
The sad truth is when I was in college...a lot of people who chased these types of degrees did so because they were easy.  After a year in a STEM program they switch to general studies, because they can put in half the effort, get better grades, and have more time to party!  Perhaps a big part of the problem is cultural issues...our college students are more fixated on the college experience, and the standards of getting into college are so low practically anyone can go, where as getting into college in China is a lot more competitive and for the cream of the crop that do get accepted, they are more focused on meaningful degrees and education.  Throwing more money at colleges isn't going to change this...free college for all would just mean more people are going to go take advantage of 4 years of tax dollar subsidized partying just to end up with less than useful degrees.

This is really the point for me. We have free primary education because it is nearly universal that everyone needs it to maintain a decent job. To think we need free secondary education so that only some can attend and get a degree to end up with a job that may or may not pan out is a really bad idea. there is really only two reasons to get a college degree; you are hoaty toaty and think you must have it or because you need it for a job in the field you want to work. If it is the former then you probably do not care and if it is the later we should keep the price of the degree likened to the potential earnings factor of its respective field.

So why are people going into 10s of thousands almost 100s of thousands of dollars of debt for a less than useful degree(one that is out of comparison) to their expected compensation? Because 18 yo are young and impressionable and their parents feel the world is changing too fast so they really do not know what is a good degree/potential job. Myself for example; no STEM degree and grad school all for a job when I could have made more money with a 2year degree. When I would have started working 5 years earlier, with no debt, possibly more money.

Bringing this back to Bernie...so no I think he has a terrible idea. However, I have convinced my self to vote for him in the primary(SC is an early voting state and is an open primary so we can vote democrat or republican without prior commitment) because ideas like this will never pass Congress and voting for him will undermine Hillary.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »
So why are people going into 10s of thousands almost 100s of thousands of dollars of debt for a less than useful degree(one that is out of comparison) to their expected compensation? Because 18 yo are young and impressionable and their parents feel the world is changing too fast so they really do not know what is a good degree/potential job. Myself for example; no STEM degree and grad school all for a job when I could have made more money with a 2year degree. When I would have started working 5 years earlier, with no debt, possibly more money.

Most people think there are far more benefits to an education than how it impacts their starting compensation in their first job.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2016, 02:44:36 PM »

Most people think there are far more benefits to an education than how it impacts their starting compensation in their first job.

I know and agree. However I think most of what I gained could have come from normal maturity and maybe a little more parental teacher guidance for how to self educate on indulging subjects (history, finance, philosophy, etc).

On another note here is an article that from NY times, not exactly known for their conservative bias.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/opinion/sunday/the-real-reason-college-tuition-costs-so-much.html?_r=1

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »

I know and agree. However I think most of what I gained could have come from normal maturity and maybe a little more parental teacher guidance for how to self educate on indulging subjects (history, finance, philosophy, etc).

On another note here is an article that from NY times, not exactly known for their conservative bias.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/opinion/sunday/the-real-reason-college-tuition-costs-so-much.html?_r=1

The link you cite is an opinion piece, not an article. And it was written by a guy who has been criticized many times for poor scholarship and writing about subjects he doesn't know a lot about. And he is also hardly a liberal.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2016, 10:29:30 PM »
More a criticism of both the Democratic and Republican leadership (and with a conservative spin consistent with the publication), but it seems generally well reasoned:

The GOP underestimated Trump in part because it overestimated the conservatism of its own southern, rural northern, and Midwestern base. It underestimated the extent to which many of its voters hadn’t so much embraced the corporate conservatism of the Chamber of Commerce or the constitutional conservatism of the Tea Party as much as they had rejected the extremism of the increasingly shrill and politically correct Left. And, yes, the size of this population calls into question the very process of building a national Republican electoral majority, but it also threatens Democrats who seem intent on drumming every blue-collar white male straight out of the party.

At present, Donald Trump’s greatest electoral danger (at least in the GOP primary) is that his supporters are so alienated from both parties that they disproportionately choose to stay home. But if they turn out, and he can escape with a win in Iowa, the early primary calendar is largely a march through Trump country. America may end up with three distinct ideological movements: the progressive Left, the constitutional Right, and populist core that will now say of both political parties: I didn’t leave you. You left me.

Excerpt from http://www.nationalreview.com/article/429853/donald-trump-voters-conservatism

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2016, 06:51:22 AM »
More a criticism of both the Democratic and Republican leadership (and with a conservative spin consistent with the publication), but it seems generally well reasoned:

The GOP underestimated Trump in part because it overestimated the conservatism of its own southern, rural northern, and Midwestern base. It underestimated the extent to which many of its voters hadn’t so much embraced the corporate conservatism of the Chamber of Commerce or the constitutional conservatism of the Tea Party as much as they had rejected the extremism of the increasingly shrill and politically correct Left. And, yes, the size of this population calls into question the very process of building a national Republican electoral majority, but it also threatens Democrats who seem intent on drumming every blue-collar white male straight out of the party.

At present, Donald Trump’s greatest electoral danger (at least in the GOP primary) is that his supporters are so alienated from both parties that they disproportionately choose to stay home. But if they turn out, and he can escape with a win in Iowa, the early primary calendar is largely a march through Trump country. America may end up with three distinct ideological movements: the progressive Left, the constitutional Right, and populist core that will now say of both political parties: I didn’t leave you. You left me.

Excerpt from http://www.nationalreview.com/article/429853/donald-trump-voters-conservatism

LOL, exactly what I'd expect from National Review. I would say its well reasoned only in its ability to spin an answer to the question of why so many in the GOP base support a misogynistic, racist, jingoist demagogue. Surprise, surprise, the author spends 3/4 of the article bashing the Democrats for being unpatriotic, soft on immigration and supporting gay rights and claiming Trump supporters are really disaffected Democrats who joined the GOP. So what does that say about the GOP if they are considered the preferable party for people who appreciate a misogynistic, racist, jingoistic demagogue?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!