Author Topic: How do I get a good bed?  (Read 5978 times)

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How do I get a good bed?
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2020, 07:38:24 AM »
Everything about buying a bed is about knowing what you like in a mattress. Are you a back or side sleeper? That and your weight can make a big difference in what you want in a bed.

I recommend the website https://sleepopolis.com/

They have two tests that are really useful: 1) a pressure map that shows where you'll feel the most pressure for each sleep position (side, back, stomach) and 2) motion transfer comparison using sensors and dropped weights. They also do thorough discussions on whether beds sleep hot and relative comparisons of firmness.

I'm a light-weight side sleeper. I like a mattress that allows my should and hip to sink, but is has a firm supportive base layer. I looked for low pressure ratings in the hip and shoulder area and a bed with a soft top layer. I tried the casper and returned it after 30 days. I don't weigh enough to be able to sink my should and hip into the mattress resulting in sleeping more on my stomach than side. I used the reviews on sleepopolis to find a bed with more cushion in the first 3 inches while keeping the firm base. I ended up with a nectar a love it.

Mariko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2020, 08:02:19 PM »
Agree with the rest about going towards the firmer end of the spectrum due to back pain issues, as others mentioned this depends on your sleeping position though.

Also, maybe see if there are any local makers with good reviews.  We found a little mom and pop shop that got all the materials from big brands but had them assembled in shop.  Cost hundreds of dollars less and I only heard good things about the quality.  Been very happy with it.

My siblings almost all own futon beds (like the traditional fold up style) and love them as well.  Depending on what you’re looking for.

FI45RE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2020, 01:46:59 PM »
We have a Purple mattress, and will never purchase anything else again. Firm, supportive, doesn't get hot at all. The platform is also well worth it, and the newly designed platforms (came out sometime in 2018-19) don't make any noise whatsoever and are very sturdy. We went from firm memory foam (hated it) to Purple about 5 years ago and never looked back.

I will say it takes about ~10 nights to get used to the way the mattress supports you, but once your body adjusts, it's heaven. I think they also have a 100 night return policy.

For you (or anyone) who is thinking about a Purple...they are heavy, like it's difficult for two people to move/carry them heavy because they aren't rigid at the edges/corners. We just moved 2 weeks ago and can confirm they are not pleasant to move. Otherwise, stellar mattress. We have even switched to the Purple pillows and love them. I've had a lot of trouble over the years finding a pillow that doesn't kink my neck and the Purple pillows we've had for 4ish months are great as well.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2021, 09:20:50 AM »
Sleep Number was having an end of year sale and I did some research and it appears this is the best price they ever have so we went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I hope it's worth it!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2021, 05:35:25 AM »
We have a Purple mattress, and will never purchase anything else again. Firm, supportive, doesn't get hot at all. The platform is also well worth it, and the newly designed platforms (came out sometime in 2018-19) don't make any noise whatsoever and are very sturdy. We went from firm memory foam (hated it) to Purple about 5 years ago and never looked back.

I will say it takes about ~10 nights to get used to the way the mattress supports you, but once your body adjusts, it's heaven. I think they also have a 100 night return policy.

For you (or anyone) who is thinking about a Purple...they are heavy, like it's difficult for two people to move/carry them heavy because they aren't rigid at the edges/corners. We just moved 2 weeks ago and can confirm they are not pleasant to move. Otherwise, stellar mattress. We have even switched to the Purple pillows and love them. I've had a lot of trouble over the years finding a pillow that doesn't kink my neck and the Purple pillows we've had for 4ish months are great as well.

FI45RE I read your review about Purple but would like to know more! I have been looking at Purple on line for a while and am intriqued by it. Can you give some more details like what model did you buy, approx. cost, did you go to a store to try it out or did you order it on line, how long have you had your bed. I have got to buy a new bed very soon. I have purchased so many beds over the years and they have all been mostly terrible. They always start out comfortable, then within no time the all seem to develop ditches. Right now my back is killing me and I have to make a decision soon. The mattress I have now cost around $5,000 and within a years time, it became a bit uncomfortable for me so I bought a Tempurpedic topper and that helped for a while but I think the mattress is continuing to deterorate by the day. Oh, one more question, did the bed come in a box? How did you get delivery? How long have you owned it?

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2021, 06:27:05 PM »
In case it helps anyone, I'd advise against Logan and Cove, or any other premium mattress.  Too deep for regular sheets, heavy as all heck.  Switched from GOOD quality futons and I would go back to a really good quality futon in a heartbeat.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »
It's worth considering your box spring as well as your mattress. When I had my current bed on a new stiff cheap box spring it was horrible. When I switched it over to an old, sagging, box spring my bed suddenly became comfortable.

On the other hand some people don't even want a box spring.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2021, 08:51:32 PM »
 Visit 4-5 different mattress stores in your area. Describe your problem in detail. Provide info on the mattresses which did and did not work for you. Choose the salesman you like the best. Try lots of mattresses. Purchase a mattress. Keep in mind mattresses can be marked up 300-500% retail so huge room to negotiate.

Last year I found a local guy I trusted. Told him our stuff is in transit and need a short term quality mattress that won’t break my back for under $300. He called all around and found us one. It is great. Quite an adventure getting it home strapped loosely to the roof.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2021, 03:59:49 AM »
I went to a Purple website and some people love it and some people hate it. Just like anything else. However, If I go for the top of the line with the  mattress and foundation with tax close to or over  $4,000.

Seems to me in the 'olden days' people just bought mattresses and not rocket ship beds and were happy!

I don't even mind spending $4,000 but I want to fall in love with it and have it last for a long time.

You really can't depend on reviews because people want different things. Firmness, softness, some sleep on their backs, sides, stomach. People are tall, short, lightweight, heavyweight.  What works for me might not work for you. UGH!

So what if I get a Purple mattress and in 100 days decide I don't like it and they honor the 100 day guarantee. Now, I have no bed at all!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2021, 05:59:23 AM »
I went to a Purple website and some people love it and some people hate it. Just like anything else. However, If I go for the top of the line with the  mattress and foundation with tax close to or over  $4,000.

Seems to me in the 'olden days' people just bought mattresses and not rocket ship beds and were happy!

I don't even mind spending $4,000 but I want to fall in love with it and have it last for a long time.

You really can't depend on reviews because people want different things. Firmness, softness, some sleep on their backs, sides, stomach. People are tall, short, lightweight, heavyweight.  What works for me might not work for you. UGH!

So what if I get a Purple mattress and in 100 days decide I don't like it and they honor the 100 day guarantee. Now, I have no bed at all!

Then you buy a different mattress???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:24:29 AM by Malcat »

SavinMaven

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2021, 08:05:39 AM »
If you're willing to put up with a little hassle, I suggest trial-and-error.

There are so many internet bed-in-a-box companies out there that allow 90 or 120 day trial periods that if you're willing to put up with a little churn, you can just keep trying until you find what works for you. It helps if you have a decent guest bed in case you end up with a day or two gap between pickup of one and the delivery of the next, or, just keep track of dates carefully and order the next before you return the current. It's a pain, but sometimes it's hard to predict what you'll like, and once you find the right one, it can be life-changing!

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2021, 02:36:22 PM »
Sleep Number was having an end of year sale and I did some research and it appears this is the best price they ever have so we went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I hope it's worth it!

Update: We absolutely hated it and ended up returning it. Cost us $400 to find out.

Bought a $400 mattress in a box and a nice topper and it's orders of magnitude more comfortable than the glorified air mattress Sleep Number.

DW and I are both in the middle of substantial weight loss so we may revisitit in a year or two.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2021, 02:41:10 PM »

Then I sleep on the floor for a week or two till I buy another bed?

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2021, 02:59:02 PM »

Buy another prior to returning the purple.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »
My wife worked at a hotel in college and we were able to buy a queen size mattress through her work for $400-500. We're still using that same mattress 13+ years later. It's the kind that is double-sided so every three months we rotate it and/or flip it over (it has the months listed at the foot of the mattress). It's a Serta brand and the model is slightly worn off but I think it's something like "Presidential Suite". Of course that's meaningless as Serta will make 100 different-named models so that it's impossible to compare as no two mattress stores will carry the same model.

We've considered buying a new mattress, but frankly this one is still working fine for me. Also, I don't really want to spend another $500 - $1,000 right now.

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2021, 05:45:24 PM »
I read independent reviews of mattresses. I ended up buying the one that the New York Times recommended and absolutely love it (Leesa Hybrid) but there are also probably consumer reports and other sources. These are more useful to me because people are putting them through an actual testing process versus random people on the internet who bought one bed and either liked it or didn’t like it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2021, 01:02:12 PM »

What? No. You buy a new one before you return the old one.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2021, 01:33:57 PM »

No.  Sleep on the floor.  It'll help you realize the needlessness of having a bed at all.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2021, 02:04:41 PM »

No.  Sleep on the floor.  It'll help you realize the needlessness of having a bed at all.

Yeah, if you're Steve, you sleep on the floor. If you're me, you buy a second mattress before returning the first one.

Either way, it's very manageable.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2021, 02:28:27 PM »

Yeah, if you're Steve, you sleep on the floor. If you're me, you buy a second mattress before returning the first one.

I've gone soft and have a bit of carpet with under pad rather than straight laminate.  :P

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2021, 02:30:58 PM »

I've gone soft and have a bit of carpet with under pad rather than straight laminate.  :P

Wimp.
We can't be friends anymore.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »
Great info.
ptf.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2021, 02:45:45 PM »
I've been pretty good at picking out beds, but I did the same that you did, which is lay on beds and try them out. I like innerspring beds, individual coils with a padded top (but not pillow top) but are otherwise firm with a bounce (last one is simmons beauty rest) I also liked how latex felt (but they are pricey) but memory foam a no go (I want to sleep on top of my mattress, not in it). If you know you like a specific hotel bed there is a way to buy them now.  https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/best-hotel-beds-where-to-buy/index.html.

This confirms it. The hotels are spending ~$1500 on a mattress. They're probably replacing them every 3-5 years too.