Author Topic: 2024 FIRE Cohort  (Read 150072 times)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
Re: 2024 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #400 on: November 09, 2023, 10:22:36 AM »

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #401 on: November 10, 2023, 06:20:09 AM »
Just did a count on my calendar a few days ago and I’m under 60 working days to go with Feb 29 being the last (I’m using sick time for Fridays off, with employer consent).

MinouMinou

• Stubble
« Reply #402 on: November 12, 2023, 09:08:05 AM »
@techwiz Our planned final work dates are so close, I can just borrow your countdown number. I’m planning on 6/3/24.

I have also been thinking about when to give notice. At my organization they can’t post a new position until someone is gone, so no training a replacement. I have a big trip planned in early spring and think I should wait until after that. I plan to give one month or 6 weeks.

I have great coworkers and know that this will be hard on them so feel badly. But endless understaffing is part of what is driving me to leave and there will never be a right time for the organization.

I’m in a pension system too but too early to claim it now.

Must_ache

• Bristles
« Reply #403 on: November 13, 2023, 07:10:01 AM »
I have set my FIRE date at April 1, 2024 (at age 52.5).  Not because I want people to wonder if it's true, but by then all the year-end 401k matching and stock vesting, and bonuses will have paid out, and I will get health insurance through the entire month of April before going on the exchange.

On April 1, 1997 during my first year of full-time work my wife called to tell me she was pregnant for the first time.  She wasn't kidding either :)  So it will be exactly 27 years after I first found out I was going to be a dad.

My stash is $1.42M plus a nearly paid off house ($50K to go) and about $40K in the bonus/matching/vesting pipeline.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: November 13, 2023, 02:29:56 PM »
On April 1, 1997 during my first year of full-time work my wife called to tell me she was pregnant for the first time.  She wasn't kidding either :)  So it will be exactly 27 years after I first found out I was going to be a dad.

You just gave me flashbacks of when my husband and I announced to his family, right around April 1 a bunch of years ago, that we had recently eloped. There was a painfully long pause before my father-in-law said "I'm waiting for you to say 'April Fools.'" 

Awkward Family Moments for a thousand, Alex.

Was that your reaction as well?

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #405 on: November 14, 2023, 07:25:18 AM »
@techwiz Our planned final work dates are so close, I can just borrow your countdown number. I’m planning on 6/3/24.

I have also been thinking about when to give notice. At my organization they can’t post a new position until someone is gone, so no training a replacement. I have a big trip planned in early spring and think I should wait until after that. I plan to give one month or 6 weeks.

I have great coworkers and know that this will be hard on them so feel badly. But endless understaffing is part of what is driving me to leave and there will never be a right time for the organization.

I’m in a pension system too but too early to claim it now.

You are welcome to share the countdown.

I have mentioned my plans to my director, but never anything concrete. There are a number in my group including my director who have been discussing pension options and retirement dates.    My countdown is to my 30 year of service and the soonest I could draw my pension. There would be a 22% reduction due to age if I start to draw pension right away.  I could also adjust my date until my birthday to bring that reduction to only 20%. I also have a bunch of holiday time which I might be taking to stretch out end date. I still plan on keep my options open and not provide a date until a couple of weeks out. 

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #406 on: November 15, 2023, 09:43:52 AM »
I’d like to join this group. I’ll just say my retirement date is December 31, 2024 although I’d of course like it to be earlier in the year if possible. I’ll be 47 at that time.

It feels funny to be planning on this now because I just accepted a new job. I’ve never really wanted to commit to an early retirement date, even year, because I knew I’d just feel discouraged if I had to push it back repeatedly. However, I just reran my numbers and I’m now feeling confident that this is doable for me in the near future.

Should I be able to save the same amount I have over the past few years and stay in my new role for three years I’ll be at my base early retirement amount. I’ll likely continue to work in some manner after that but will be able to leave full time employment forever!

Checking in for the first time in quite awhile. I’ll almost certainly not be able to retire in ‘24 but I’m going to stay in this group  nonetheless. I don’t plan to fully retire but perhaps downshift or move to consulting and it’s still possible that could happen next year. My savings  rate continues to be high but the ‘meh’ market isn’t doing me any favors. We’ll see what the next year holds!

MrsSpendyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #407 on: November 19, 2023, 04:34:06 PM »
Unexpectedly, due to health reasons, I will likely be leaving the workforce in December unless the company gives me a lot of accommodations which is unlikely.  We're at least CoastFI thankfully.  DH will continue working for at least 2-4 more years.  Couldn't be more glad that we're in the position that we are.

bluecollarlawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Started late, but rapidly catching up ...
« Reply #408 on: November 21, 2023, 07:46:31 AM »
I've only posted on here once as I recall. But I wanted to tell someone this news since I have no one I can tell who appreciates what we're all planning here.

I plan to give my notice next week and work my final day on 12/29 with vacation time taking me to 1/19/2024 in order to get the HSA contribution. I spoke to HR about separation and whether I would have to pay it back if I left too early in the year. They said no. So, I'm set to get the pay out with the second pay period, which means I officially quit Friday, 1/19/2024.

Anyway, I've been on a roller coaster of emotions about finally resigning. I've hit all my goals and done the math a million ways and it still works out. I'll be fine. But it's hard picturing myself not answering to someone. I've been in school, working or both since I was 5 years old. 51 years of obligations and demands. How do you just wake up and have the whole day, week, month, year, the rest of your life to do what you want? It's surreal.

I've also found these last months the most stressful of my career because I'm fighting apathy as I look to the exit. And apathy in my line of work can get people hurt. This is why I'm giving the equivalent of 6 weeks notice. I'm hoping they start transferring my caseload to others over the coming weeks in order to provide continuity of service to our clients. In the unlikely event that they say, ok cool, you can leave now, I'm ready for that, too.

Best of luck to everyone as you all move into your last year.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #409 on: November 21, 2023, 09:31:34 AM »
I've only posted on here once as I recall. But I wanted to tell someone this news since I have no one I can tell who appreciates what we're all planning here.

I plan to give my notice next week and work my final day on 12/29 with vacation time taking me to 1/19/2024 in order to get the HSA contribution. I spoke to HR about separation and whether I would have to pay it back if I left too early in the year. They said no. So, I'm set to get the pay out with the second pay period, which means I officially quit Friday, 1/19/2024.

Anyway, I've been on a roller coaster of emotions about finally resigning. I've hit all my goals and done the math a million ways and it still works out. I'll be fine. But it's hard picturing myself not answering to someone. I've been in school, working or both since I was 5 years old. 51 years of obligations and demands. How do you just wake up and have the whole day, week, month, year, the rest of your life to do what you want? It's surreal.

I've also found these last months the most stressful of my career because I'm fighting apathy as I look to the exit. And apathy in my line of work can get people hurt. This is why I'm giving the equivalent of 6 weeks notice. I'm hoping they start transferring my caseload to others over the coming weeks in order to provide continuity of service to our clients. In the unlikely event that they say, ok cool, you can leave now, I'm ready for that, too.

Best of luck to everyone as you all move into your last year.

Congratulations on hitting all your goals. 

There are many stories and advice on this site about the decompression after retiring(everyone will have a different experience but I find it useful to see how others are dealing with it). It's a big change as you stated 51 years of answering to obligations and demands. Just know you don't have to all the answers on day one of retirement and you have the flexibility to adjust and create new goals. 

I am also fighting apathy lately, with projects with end dates years in the future it hard for me to care. Luckily my apathy will not get people hurt, but I am still forcing myself to think of the next person in my role and not leave them with issues due to me mailing it in.   

Best of luck to you.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #410 on: December 01, 2023, 07:51:03 AM »

One month to 2024 now.  I’ve informed the boss that I’m leaving.  No serious moves were made to get me to stay.  That’s at once disappointing and freeing. 

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #411 on: December 01, 2023, 08:16:42 AM »
I am also fighting apathy lately, with projects with end dates years in the future it hard for me to care.

For me it's a balance between maintaining professionalism and guarding my time against corporate overreach into my personal time.  Some lines are clear.  No more late nights and weekends fixing up projects so they can ship for an arbitrary timeline.  Some are less clear.  Should I stay up late to help overseas teams?

DutchGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #412 on: December 01, 2023, 01:31:10 PM »
When I left my previous job that I had been at for 14 years I kept doing the work until the last day, and now I'm very proud that I did that (and didn't slack off), even though the last two months there I was so done with it.

So if at all possible, I would say to keep doing your best until you quit, because I think later on you will probably be happy with that.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #413 on: December 01, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »
Talked with staff and colleagues this week to let them know I'll be done at the end of Feb 2024.
Good convos about possible post-retirement PT gigs -- glad to know there might be options...

Still feels surreal.

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #414 on: December 03, 2023, 09:43:20 AM »
Less than a year to go for me now.  Target date is Dec 1. 2024 if all goes well.  I have a lot of RSUs coming due and it makes little sense to pull the plug before that.  We'll have our annual financial review on January 1st and I'll go over the numbers with DW.  I have a few business ideas I might try, but I'm done at working for a big corporation.

Bluenose1966

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #415 on: December 04, 2023, 03:10:31 PM »
Although my last official working day is 2nd January 2024 my last actual day of working will be 21st December 2023.
Ironically the toxic colleague who made me pull the trigger looks like she is off long term sick as more and more complaints from different Departments come in about her. Unfortunately for me I am therefore trying to cover both our roles in my last few weeks of work.
Now I have got the date in my head I couldn’t work a day longer.
Though when people ask me what I will do with my time I am like a rabbit in the headlights, so far I have said I intend to do a lot of walking with the dog  and reading, which sounds very lame even to me😂.
I want some time to decompress and not commit myself to anything, looking forward to several visits to the gym per week and trying new recipes. All to my own schedule.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #416 on: December 05, 2023, 07:33:17 AM »
Ugh, this morning I have a planning/goal-setting meeting for next year.  I've decided that May 1 will be my exit date so I will give notice on March 1.  These are normally easy and relatively productive meetings but I'm dreading today.  I think its senioritis. Maybe I'll ask if layoffs may be in the future. 

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #417 on: December 05, 2023, 04:03:27 PM »
Although my last official working day is 2nd January 2024 my last actual day of working will be 21st December 2023.
Ironically the toxic colleague who made me pull the trigger looks like she is off long term sick as more and more complaints from different Departments come in about her. Unfortunately for me I am therefore trying to cover both our roles in my last few weeks of work.
Now I have got the date in my head I couldn’t work a day longer.
Though when people ask me what I will do with my time I am like a rabbit in the headlights, so far I have said I intend to do a lot of walking with the dog  and reading, which sounds very lame even to me😂.
I want some time to decompress and not commit myself to anything, looking forward to several visits to the gym per week and trying new recipes. All to my own schedule.

Congrats, you might be the first in the cohort to FIRE.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #418 on: December 05, 2023, 04:29:41 PM »
Ugh, this morning I have a planning/goal-setting meeting for next year.  I've decided that May 1 will be my exit date so I will give notice on March 1.  These are normally easy and relatively productive meetings but I'm dreading today.  I think its senioritis. Maybe I'll ask if layoffs may be in the future.

I might have senioritis too, I really feel it when planning for projects with 8 year timeframes. I find it hard to stay motivated and fake that you care about the project manager's crisis of delivering cost estimates while requirements keep changing and they need answers by end of day.     

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #419 on: December 05, 2023, 05:12:32 PM »

I might have senioritis too, I really feel it when planning for projects with 8 year timeframes. I find it hard to stay motivated and fake that you care about the project manager's crisis of delivering cost estimates while requirements keep changing and they need answers by end of day.   

I love that feeling. It's like in Office Space, when he stops caring even though everyone else is running around frantically. 

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2023, 07:18:42 AM »

I love that feeling. It's like in Office Space, when he stops caring even though everyone else is running around frantically.

Unfortunately I am not in that position yet.  I ended up working some unpaid overtime to deliver the answers by the end of the day. Project replies this morning 30 minutes before I start work asking for information I had already gave them a month ago.  I know the turnover in the project teams is high so I will give the benefit of the doubt and just resend. "All pensionable time" well not the unpaid OT but I did that to help me sleep at night knowing I am not the one holding up the "critical" project.

I need to watch Office Space again. ;P

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #421 on: December 08, 2023, 09:22:39 AM »
I'm planning to retire at the end of June. I work 4 days a week (with 20 vacation days per year), and according to my countdown calendar, I'm now officially down to double digits (98) for the number of working days left before retirement. DH plans to continue working for at least another couple of years.

That said, I'm giving some thought to working until the end of July or August, in order to accumulate some cash for a couple of splurges (a new camera and a solo holiday as a retirement present to myself, plus a significant donation to a charity I support).   

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #422 on: December 08, 2023, 10:07:27 AM »
I'm planning to retire at the end of June. I work 4 days a week (with 20 vacation days per year), and according to my countdown calendar, I'm now officially down to double digits (98) for the number of working days left before retirement. DH plans to continue working for at least another couple of years.

That said, I'm giving some thought to working until the end of July or August, in order to accumulate some cash for a couple of splurges (a new camera and a solo holiday as a retirement present to myself, plus a significant donation to a charity I support).

Congrats on having only a two digit countdown.

Lienlord

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #423 on: December 14, 2023, 08:45:15 PM »
Last day 2/2/24!
Feel a little late to the countdown party, but still a little time left to anticipate it.
Just turned 59, and retiring from 12 years as Treasurer of a large public school district.
Excited and nervous, like everyone else!
I told someone it feels like I'm jumping out of a perfectly good airplane! LOL
But our finances are in order, and my dear wife has been retired for 2 years and has been anxiously waiting on my to join her.
Congrats to my fellow 2024 cohort!

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #424 on: December 15, 2023, 02:59:44 PM »
Last day 2/2/24!

Congratulations!  We'll be walking (or jumping!?) out the door around the same time.  49 days go to for you!

I told someone it feels like I'm jumping out of a perfectly good airplane! LOL

I love the analogy!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #425 on: December 30, 2023, 06:53:40 AM »
I didn't think I'd have any working days in 2024, but it looks like I'll actually work 17 days. So I'm jumping out of the 2023 class and joining 2024. I have 7 weeks of paid time off to burn in 2024 between now and March 2024. I'll be Hiking the Florida Trail starting next week most of that time. Good luck to you all in the New Year.

DutchGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #426 on: January 01, 2024, 06:00:41 AM »
Happy 2024 everyone! Wow, the year when things are going to happen?! I'm curious to see how we'll fare.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #427 on: January 01, 2024, 06:23:36 AM »
Good luck everyone from a member of the class of 2023!

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #428 on: January 02, 2024, 09:49:01 AM »
It's your year, Class of 2024!

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #429 on: January 03, 2024, 11:36:39 AM »
2024, here we go!  I know we had a few people planning on retiring early this month.  Anyone actually pull the plug yet?  Care to share your story and how you’re feeling?  I’d love to hear how it’s going for people!

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #430 on: January 04, 2024, 08:44:53 AM »
I'm also curious about the three people who had plans to go already have actually done so.  Of course, plans can change. 

It's getting so close I can smell it.  I'm lining up post-megacorp plans: some personal projects and some trips when it gets warm enough.  Started a workout routine last month to get back into some semblance of shape. 

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #431 on: January 06, 2024, 02:43:39 PM »
Planned retirement date: June 28 (although considering an extension to just after August long weekend)
87 working days to go (assuming June 28 retirement) - I'm on a 4-day work week and will get 10 vacation days to June 30 plus stat holidays
Fewer than 700 hours
Haven't told employer yet - probably will let them know at the end of March

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #432 on: January 06, 2024, 07:53:01 PM »
30 working days left… squeeeeee

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #433 on: January 09, 2024, 09:45:20 AM »
2024, here we go!  I know we had a few people planning on retiring early this month.  Anyone actually pull the plug yet?  Care to share your story and how you’re feeling?  I’d love to hear how it’s going for people!

I was originally thinking of an early 2025 date...because I turn 55 in 2025 and also would have the option of using the "rule of 55" for my 401k.

Also, "rule of 55 in '25" has a nice ring to it!  I also learned that you can use the "rule of 55" if you leave your job anytime in the year you turn 55.  So in theory, I would be able to take advantage of it on Jan 1st, 2025.

So why am I here?  First of all, we had tremendous gains in our portfolio in December, 2023 and have surpassed all of our expectations in a far shorter timeframe than anticipated.  I sold off some of the stock gains and am now populating our our HYSA in anticipation of early retirement ( and ACA "income engineering" to qualify for ACA subsidies ).

Secondly, I'm more than burned out after a 30+ year career at a tech megacorp...that treats their employees very poorly ( yearly layoffs, etc... ).  Not good for the stress levels.  They also had the bright idea of pushing a "high performance culture" recently ( codename for "squeeze more work out of your employees" ).  This doesn't coincide well with my current burnout and massive lack of motivation!

So we will see how this saga turns out.  The date will be "sometime in 2024" if my company does anything to piss me off.  And 2025 if I can coast along with this job until early 2025! 

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #434 on: January 13, 2024, 12:24:52 PM »
I've already posted under 2021 FIRE Cohort, but this month DW has finally joined the dark side. 

It's Zero More Years !!

A combination of financial plans and some rapidly degrading s*** at work finally pushed her over the edge. 

garyjames8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 50 / 63% SR / RE Targets: 31.12.2024 & AU$1million
« Reply #435 on: January 13, 2024, 06:36:41 PM »
Hi folks,

I started the 2023 FIRE cohort thread on December 27, 2015 with the following goals (with updates on progress in [ ]):

Target $$$ amount...

1. Dual-key apartment in Australia paid off in full.  [PAID OFF IN FULL]
2. House or apartment in the UK paid off in full.  [PAID OFF IN FULL, THEN SOLD IN JULY 2023].
3. $250,000 AU$ cash for flipping properties in the UK (Although could possibly do this with $125,000).  [ACHIEVED]
4. $250,000 AU$ cash for investing in the stock market ($125,000 would be fine if I don't manage to have accumulated $250k).  [CURRENTLY HAVE $136,052.  SHORTFALL > $113,948]

Sources of passive / semi-passive income after FIRE...

1. Rental income from a dual-key apartment in Australia.  [ACHIEVED]
2. Rental income from 1 property in the UK.  [ACHIEVED UP TO MAY 2023.  SOLD PROPERTY IN JULY 2023].
3. Flipping vehicles (Cars, scooters, camper vans, motor homes).  [IN A POSITION TO DO].
4. Flipping jewelry.  [IN A POSITION TO DO].

Sources of capital growth...

1. Flipping properties in the UK
2. Increase in value of share capital

What do you plan to do after you achieve FIRE...

1. Live as an investor (real estate & stock market).
2. Spend more time with my wife.
3. Read my favourite books more often.
4. Use house sitting as a cheap way to spend some time in Europe & the USA at intervals during each year.

and any other items of interest that you think are relevant...

1. Wake up on as many days as possible without an alarm clock waking me up!

Due to shortfall in savings (as outlined above in [ ] above) I will be doing One More Year (OMY).

I will now join this 2024 group.

It has been great sharing the journey with the 2023 cohort since December 2015.

Hope to join the members of this thread and FIRE in 2024.

All the Best to everyone.

Kind Regards,

Gary

PA_mtn_biker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #436 on: January 17, 2024, 06:28:07 PM »
Excited to be part of the class of 2024.  Target date is 5/3, could be sooner depending on how some things go at work.
I've been OMY for a couple of years now & past time to pull the trigger.  Its been more difficult with each passing day just to show up.   Turned 50 in '23 & feel like its getting to be now or never.   

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #437 on: January 25, 2024, 02:14:18 PM »
Gave my notice today!!  Last day is May 1, less than 100 days away.   

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: January 25, 2024, 02:16:49 PM »
Woohoo, congrats, @By the River!

evanc

• Stubble
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
« Reply #439 on: January 25, 2024, 03:05:25 PM »
Gave my notice today!!  Last day is May 1, less than 100 days away.

Amazing! Let the countdown begin.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #440 on: January 28, 2024, 08:54:06 PM »
It's kind of sad, but after 10 years on MMM, I probably have my hat in the ring on 2 or 3 of the "cohort" threads.   What was a journey of personal discovery and financial lessons towards a very stressful decision is now a decision that has been made.

It's with surreal calm I say the following:   My FIRE day is in less than 72 hours.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #441 on: January 28, 2024, 09:50:07 PM »
It's kind of sad, but after 10 years on MMM, I probably have my hat in the ring on 2 or 3 of the "cohort" threads.   What was a journey of personal discovery and financial lessons towards a very stressful decision is now a decision that has been made.

It's with surreal calm I say the following:   My FIRE day is in less than 72 hours.

Congrats!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #442 on: January 28, 2024, 10:30:25 PM »
Not sad at all. Huge congrats for making it here in the end.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2024, 06:26:28 AM »

Excellent, congratulations on making that stressful decision!

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2024, 07:51:49 AM »

Congrats Money Badger!   

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #445 on: January 29, 2024, 10:27:53 AM »

Yay!

And I acknowledge your path and the pressures of making those decisions, especially that last one.  Enjoy the freedom!

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2024, 11:58:29 AM »

Whoo-hoo! Congrats!!

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #447 on: January 30, 2024, 02:45:11 PM »
2024 is my early FIRE date.  I've joined the 2030 cohort, but 2024 is when I hit my minimum savings target.  If things go well, financially or if they go poorly in terms of how I feel about my job, I'll pull the trigger midyear 2024.  Downside is I've got to save $1M in 4 years, as we have a FatFire target.

We hit min targets, but kids school is a bit much.  I'm now bowing out of 2024, and looking at 2029.  Good luck to all the 2024 class!

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #448 on: February 01, 2024, 12:19:29 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!!

crabby.van.man

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #449 on: February 01, 2024, 01:36:36 PM »
Adding myself to the 2024 Cohorts.  Gave notice this morning but agreed to hang on until mid-March to help resolve a backcharge issue with a supplier.  After that it's 2-3 weeks of vanlifing in amazing southern Utah. Woot-woot!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!