Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 724016 times)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #3150 on: February 22, 2024, 12:38:57 PM »
Watched Band of Brothers for the second time. First time was in 2008, and back then I remember being constantly angry while watching b/c I couldn't tell which person was which with half the cast, and I thought we were supposed to be able to keep track for emotional investment. So it was not positive experience that I'd been expecting.

Watching this time, I just went in assuming that was not the series goal and 'let it ride'. Of course, I was able to track people a bit better on second viewing. Esp since every redshirt of the episode was some now-superstar-but-then-unknown 'baby' British actor. That was kind of fun.

That last ep really makes me want to go to Austria.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3151 on: February 24, 2024, 05:32:01 AM »
We started watching Three Body on Prime.  Its supposed to be very true to the award winning Sci-Fi book "Three Body Problem" that my wife really enjoyed.  We've only seen the first episode, but liked it and excited to continue.

Edited to add- it’s in Chinese with English subtitles.

edited to add again-- We're now 5 episodes in.  Excellent show in our opinions, particularly for science geeks.  It's thoughtful with attention paid to detail, and the scientists are portrayed excellently.

I, too, greatly enjoyed the book. It sounds like your wife is ok with it, so I'm guessing liking the book didn't ruin the show?

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3152 on: February 24, 2024, 06:05:58 AM »
We started watching "Three Body" on Prime.  Its supposed to be very true to the award winning Sci-Fi book "Three Body Problem" that my wife really enjoyed.  We've only seen the first episode, but liked it and excited to continue.

edited to add again-- We're now 5 episodes in.  Excellent show in our opinions, particularly for science geeks.  It's thoughtful with attention paid to detail, and the scientists are portrayed excellently.

I, too, greatly enjoyed the book. It sounds like your wife is ok with it, so I'm guessing liking the book didn't ruin the show?

She’s more than ok with it! My wife and I are really excited about this show. It’s been a couple of years since reading the book, so the show pulls up details she forgot about. We’re on episode 13 now. It truly is an excellent sci-fi adaptation.

Another interesting tidbit— the particle collider scene was actually filmed in the real accelerator in Beijing.

Edited to add- My wife says she can’t remember the details, but feels the show simplifies things in a way to make it flow better on screen, while appealing to a more general audience. This isn’t a bad thing, she says, since the book was quite complicated. It has the same overall feeling as the book, and the representation of the three body game is awesome. Dehydrate!!!

edited to add more--- We watched 2 trailers for "3 Body Problem" that will be coming to Netflix in a month from now.  My assumption, based on the 4 minutes being shown, is that it will be a bit more dumbed down, action packed, and dramatic than the Chinese version.  I'm afraid it's going to lose the real science that is depicted in the version we're watching now.  For example, there's a great scene where the universe blinks, but its background radiation, so there's a whole explanation about wavelengths of light, satellite telescopes vs ground based, the visible spectrum, etc.  In the Netflix trailer, the stars themselves visibly blink, so I suppose all that gets thrown out so non-science people will understand it.  The characters seem like they're British too, because who wants to watch a show with too many Chinese actors, right?  It'll be interesting to compare the two when the time comes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 04:54:24 PM by uniwelder »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3153 on: February 24, 2024, 01:43:13 PM »
Kin, the Irish crime drama. Sometimes second series can disappoint but this one was great. Hope they make a third! A lot of story threads are left hanging so they could.

Gritty, fantastic characters, the violence is heartbreaking at times, the tension is constant. Birdy's character is developed more - her past traumas are hinted at, never discussed but you can see it written all over her face.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3154 on: March 04, 2024, 09:42:16 AM »
Watched Band of Brothers for the second time. First time was in 2008, and back then I remember being constantly angry while watching b/c I couldn't tell which person was which with half the cast, and I thought we were supposed to be able to keep track for emotional investment. So it was not positive experience that I'd been expecting.

Watching this time, I just went in assuming that was not the series goal and 'let it ride'. Of course, I was able to track people a bit better on second viewing. Esp since every redshirt of the episode was some now-superstar-but-then-unknown 'baby' British actor. That was kind of fun.

That last ep really makes me want to go to Austria.

Any more I don’t watch war productions due to the violence, but yes, keeping all of those men separately identified is just too big of an investment in concentration. I never liked war films for this reason alone.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3155 on: March 04, 2024, 10:44:54 AM »
Just finished Death and Other Details

It took me a bit to get past Mandy Patinkin's fake accent, but once my ear stopped receiving it like nails on a chalkboard, I really enjoyed the show.

It's fun and extremely stylish. It's not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, but it's kind of a classic British style detective romp, but done in the ultra-stylized production of American prestige TV.

It's also extremely self-aware of it's esthetic, esthetics are a key plot point as it's set on a restored vintage yacht, and the esthetic of the restoration of the yacht is a central theme. So the show tells you, explicitly every single episode that it cares deeply about its own style.

The whodunit mystery is engaging and each character is colourful and interesting. It's kind of like an ultra-stylized version of the Clue movie, except that although doesn't take itself seriously, but it's not slapstick comedy, more self-aware sarcastic comedy.

It's very similar to White Lotus, although much less unhinged, but also less brilliant.

I would say that it's not genius by any stretch of the imagination, but it's extremely watchable and I hope there is a second season.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3156 on: March 04, 2024, 12:22:21 PM »
I watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith mostly because I think Donald Glover is cool.  Not a lot of substance to this show, kind of trying to be a fun spy thing.  First few episodes were better than the last few . . . and in some places it felt like the writers were making the characters do things that didn't always make sense simply to carry the plot along.  I predicted the ending that would happen an episode early and was completely wrong.  But the ending I was expecting would have been waaaaaaay better than the ending we got.  :P  Watchable, generally fun mindless entertainment that could have been a lot better.

6/10

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3157 on: March 04, 2024, 01:39:11 PM »
I may just be getting old...but did it feel like it was shot extremely dark? The first episode I felt like I could barely see anything with the exception of the scenes in daylight. It seems more and more shows and movies are shooting scenes this way going back to GoT...and it annoys me, lol.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3158 on: March 04, 2024, 02:05:54 PM »
I watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith mostly because I think Donald Glover is cool.  Not a lot of substance to this show, kind of trying to be a fun spy thing.  First few episodes were better than the last few . . . and in some places it felt like the writers were making the characters do things that didn't always make sense simply to carry the plot along.  I predicted the ending that would happen an episode early and was completely wrong.  But the ending I was expecting would have been waaaaaaay better than the ending we got.  :P  Watchable, generally fun mindless entertainment that could have been a lot better.

6/10

Didn't this show suffer from major issues though? I'm pretty sure Phoebe Waller-Bridge was supposed to co-write and co-star and then she walked out shortly after production started.

I'm pretty sure I read that they were scrambling just to get the season made.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3159 on: March 04, 2024, 07:54:14 PM »

6/10

Didn't this show suffer from major issues though? I'm pretty sure Phoebe Waller-Bridge was supposed to co-write and co-star and then she walked out shortly after production started.

I'm pretty sure I read that they were scrambling just to get the season made.

Ah, this would make sense.  I had no idea about the backstory regarding production.  Especially the later episodes were suffering from a writing perspective, and sometimes the characters weren't doing things that made sense.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3160 on: March 05, 2024, 07:24:54 AM »
The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live

I admit to having watched all TWD series so far and have spent way too much time watching these "Zombie" shows. Just one episode in, and so far enjoying it. This series sees the return of the lead character Rick and has a situation* in the first couple of minutes which helps align his character with the comic book which the TWD is based on.

No one else in my family watches these shows and I would only recommend this to those who enjoy this type of show. 

Spoiler: show
Rick loses a hand in this series during an escape attempt where he cuts off his own hand. This is very different from the comic version where the Governor chopped his hand off with a machete early on in the story.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3161 on: March 05, 2024, 08:03:41 AM »
The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live

I admit to having watched all TWD series so far and have spent way too much time watching these "Zombie" shows. Just one episode in, and so far enjoying it. This series sees the return of the lead character Rick and has a situation* in the first couple of minutes which helps align his character with the comic book which the TWD is based on.

No one else in my family watches these shows and I would only recommend this to those who enjoy this type of show.

I'll admit, I never jumped on the zombie train.  Is it possible to jump in to this new series or do I need to watch more Walking Dead backstory to understand what is going on? 

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3162 on: March 05, 2024, 11:49:36 AM »
I'll admit, I never jumped on the zombie train.  Is it possible to jump in to this new series or do I need to watch more Walking Dead backstory to understand what is going on?

There is a lot of backstory to really understand some of the flashbacks and not be lost on the multiple storylines. However, I think one could watch and still enjoy the action and drama even without knowing everything.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3163 on: March 06, 2024, 07:25:42 AM »
I too am a long time TWD junkie and have watched every show they've produced from the main show, to Fear, to World Beyond, to Dead City, to Daryl Dixon, to now The Ones Who Live. I've been so excited to catch back up with Rick and Michonne after all these years and I've really enjoyed the first two episodes so far. My wife detests the gore on some episodes that she's seen over the years, but wanted to watch this one with me. They do a good enough job of quickly summarizing the back story without going into minute detail and she was really able to pick up the gist of the Rick-Michonne dynamic quickly.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3164 on: March 11, 2024, 06:32:43 PM »
Is anyone watching “The Resident “on Netflix? It’s a hospital show. It has a very high rating, 7.8 on IMDb.

I can’t force my way through even episode one. The bad guy is so bad. The good guy is so good and smart and competent. The new resident male doctor is so… Naïve and he along with us has to be lectured about problems in the healthcare system.

I would rate this more like a 6.2

Next.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3165 on: March 11, 2024, 06:50:39 PM »
Is anyone watching “The Resident “on Netflix? It’s a hospital show. It has a very high rating, 7.8 on IMDb.

I can’t force my way through even episode one. The bad guy is so bad. The good guy is so good and smart and competent. The new resident male doctor is so… Naïve and he along with us has to be lectured about problems in the healthcare system.

I would rate this more like a 6.2

Next.

It gets really dumb

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3166 on: March 11, 2024, 09:42:28 PM »
We’ve started The Gentlemen on Netflix which if you like Guy Ritchie you a) know exactly what you are getting and b) is pretty good, at least one episode in.

But if you don’t have a high GR tolerance, this is not the show for you.

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #3167 on: March 12, 2024, 12:54:34 AM »
I too am a long time TWD junkie and have watched every show they've produced from the main show, to Fear, to World Beyond, to Dead City, to Daryl Dixon, to now The Ones Who Live. I've been so excited to catch back up with Rick and Michonne after all these years and I've really enjoyed the first two episodes so far. My wife detests the gore on some episodes that she's seen over the years, but wanted to watch this one with me. They do a good enough job of quickly summarizing the back story without going into minute detail and she was really able to pick up the gist of the Rick-Michonne dynamic quickly.
My People! Just binge watched Dead City the other day on DVD. No cable or home internet so no streaming sadly.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 01:00:06 AM by spartana »

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3168 on: March 12, 2024, 12:55:49 AM »
Watched some of The Gentlemen at the weekend. First two episodes were good (glad they had Guy Ritchie's name so prominently because then I wasn't surprised when it takes off in a Guy Ritchie direction) but I needed a break by the third. Only watched about ten seconds before switching it off.

What I switched to was Alien Resident, which was amusing. Apparently there is a second and third series and I'm not sure how it will really be able to keep going but I suppose I'll see at some stage.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3169 on: March 12, 2024, 08:11:25 AM »
The Tourist on Netflix is interesting. I like it so far but it may end poorly.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #3170 on: March 12, 2024, 08:54:33 AM »

I made it through season 1, although I am slightly bogged down in season 2, this time set in Ireland.  Great for those of us that like interesting scenery in our tv shows.

I'm not sure they've made the absolute best use of the cast - when I see names like Jamie Dornan (The Fall), Damon Herriman (Justified), Olafur Olafsson (True Detective) and Danielle Macdonald (Unbelievable), I think I was hoping for a little more.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3171 on: March 12, 2024, 09:55:04 AM »

I made it through season 1, although I am slightly bogged down in season 2, this time set in Ireland.  Great for those of us that like interesting scenery in our tv shows.

I'm not sure they've made the absolute best use of the cast - when I see names like Jamie Dornan (The Fall), Damon Herriman (Justified), Olafur Olafsson (True Detective) and Danielle Macdonald (Unbelievable), I think I was hoping for a little more.

I'm not sure I want to watch season 2 (I didn't realize there was one).
The Three Body Problem is coming out later this month. I hope it's epic but I would settle for great. I wonder if it's possible to watch the original Chinese version?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:58:02 AM by Luke Warm »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3172 on: March 12, 2024, 09:58:41 AM »

Season 1 was a novelty, season 2 is like trying to do the same magic trick a second time with a few new flourishes.  The premise really doesn't hold up to scrutiny (the amnesiac main character should've died for sure by now if people really wanted him dead, yet they seem to go along with his 'not remembering anything' and instead feel compelled not to kill him but instead explain to him who he is and how he wronged them...  A bit too much like 'Bond, we're going to kill you once we explain our evil plans to you then set up this elaborate contraption'...).

But if you are just looking for fun and twists, it's got plenty of that all the way to the very last moment... which probably sets up Season 3 since this schtick continues to find oversized success. 

A small part of me just enjoys thinking, from a wider perspective, just how goofy it all is.  The story likes to keep you zoomed in with hopes you can't see it, but you really do have to wonder what the offscreen characters are up to when the main characters are wandering around wondering what is going on.  Goofy fun though, and sometimes you need fiction for that.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3173 on: March 12, 2024, 10:22:39 AM »
The Three Body Problem is coming out later this month. I hope it's epic but I would settle for great. I wonder if it's possible to watch the original Chinese version?

Yes!  On Amazon Prime.  It is quite awesome.  I plan to watch the Netflix version when it comes out, but am expecting to be disappointed compared to the original.  I suppose ranking will differ, depending on whether you prefer logical storytelling and real sci-fi or the westernized alternative to that.

We started watching "Three Body" on Prime.  Its supposed to be very true to the award winning Sci-Fi book "Three Body Problem" that my wife really enjoyed.  We've only seen the first episode, but liked it and excited to continue.

She’s more than ok with it! My wife and I are really excited about this show. It’s been a couple of years since reading the book, so the show pulls up details she forgot about. We’re on episode 13 now. It truly is an excellent sci-fi adaptation.

Another interesting tidbit— the particle collider scene was actually filmed in the real accelerator in Beijing.

Edited to add- My wife says she can’t remember the details, but feels the show simplifies things in a way to make it flow better on screen, while appealing to a more general audience. This isn’t a bad thing, she says, since the book was quite complicated. It has the same overall feeling as the book, and the representation of the three body game is awesome. Dehydrate!!!

edited to add more--- We watched 2 trailers for "3 Body Problem" that will be coming to Netflix in a month from now.  My assumption, based on the 4 minutes being shown, is that it will be a bit more dumbed down, action packed, and dramatic than the Chinese version.  I'm afraid it's going to lose the real science that is depicted in the version we're watching now.  For example, there's a great scene where the universe blinks, but its background radiation, so there's a whole explanation about wavelengths of light, satellite telescopes vs ground based, the visible spectrum, etc.  In the Netflix trailer, the stars themselves visibly blink, so I suppose all that gets thrown out so non-science people will understand it.  The characters seem like they're British too, because who wants to watch a show with too many Chinese actors, right?  It'll be interesting to compare the two when the time comes.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3174 on: March 12, 2024, 11:05:08 AM »

Yes!  On Amazon Prime.  It is quite awesome.  I plan to watch the Netflix version when it comes out, but am expecting to be disappointed compared to the original.  I suppose ranking will differ, depending on whether you prefer logical storytelling and real sci-fi or the westernized alternative to that.

Dang. I just quit Amazon Prime.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3175 on: March 12, 2024, 11:08:34 AM »
We’ve started The Gentlemen on Netflix which if you like Guy Ritchie you a) know exactly what you are getting and b) is pretty good, at least one episode in.

But if you don’t have a high GR tolerance, this is not the show for you.

I am watching that! It is entertaining!

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3176 on: March 12, 2024, 11:11:58 AM »

Dang. I just quit Amazon Prime.

Supposedly you can watch it on Peacock too

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #3177 on: March 12, 2024, 01:15:28 PM »
Halo? Is it worth watching? I'm a sci-fi junkie and haventbseen anything new in awhile.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3178 on: March 12, 2024, 02:41:41 PM »
Currently watching so much good stuff.

The Gentlemen as above - 2 eps in
One Day - 2 eps in, reminds me of Normal People
This is Going to Hurt - very funny but also gut wrenchingly sad
To Catch a Killer - drama based on the true story of South Africa's first serial killer profiler. DH is from SA so great to have something to watch from there. SA has had some gruesome serial killers.

A couple of others we've started but they haven't pulled me in:
The Commons - set in the near future when climate change is wreaking havoc.
Veronika - haunted police detective, not really sure where it's going to go, don't care
American Conspiracy - The Octopus Murders. Too many players, hard to keep track! I needed to concentrate more than I did.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3179 on: March 12, 2024, 03:54:49 PM »
Halo? Is it worth watching? I'm a sci-fi junkie and haventbseen anything new in awhile.

Three Body???  :)

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #3180 on: March 12, 2024, 09:13:28 PM »

Lol. Even the female Spartans are sort of in that group. And we all want to be Master Chief!  I'm curious if the series is like the game. Just saw the commercials for it and looks good but without streaming I'll probably never get to see it. Everything sci-fi..ish is boring on antenna TV. I think the last one I saw (binged on DVD) was The Expanse.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:15:33 PM by spartana »

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3181 on: March 13, 2024, 05:38:02 AM »

Lol. Even the female Spartans are sort of in that group. And we all want to be Master Chief!  I'm curious if the series is like the game. Just saw the commercials for it and looks good but without streaming I'll probably never get to see it. Everything sci-fi..ish is boring on antenna TV. I think the last one I saw (binged on DVD) was The Expanse.

Sorry, I don't know Halo and had to look up master chief to get the reference.  Otherwise, yeah, I suppose your library won't be carrying it in dvd.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3182 on: March 13, 2024, 09:04:48 AM »

Halo isn't as terrible as the gamers made it out to be, but it's much more entertainment than sci-fi.  From what I gather it is only loosely based on the game.  I watched it in the background while doing chores around the house.  There's only one scene that goes 'gamer mode' in the final episode, but it is pretty cool.  The series is too drawn out a lot of the time but does eventually get to a satisfying climax.  Hard to say I'd recommend it, so much other good stuff out there, but it's not terrible.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3183 on: March 13, 2024, 09:11:57 AM »
I'm a sci-fi junkie and haventbseen anything new in awhile.

There was a kinda cool sci-fi-ish show called Maniac that came out a few years back and seemed to pass by under everyone's radar.  Less space ships and aliens than near future psychological drama stuff.

I found that the second season of Foundation was decent too.  Maybe it's just that I've accepted that they're going way off script from the books and just kinda doing their own thing.  And if you can tolerate cartoons, Scavengers Reign was one of the better sci-fi shows of last year.

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #3184 on: March 13, 2024, 09:45:16 AM »

There was a kinda cool sci-fi-ish show called Maniac that came out a few years back and seemed to pass by under everyone's radar.  Less space ships and aliens than near future psychological drama stuff.

I found that the second season of Foundation was decent too.  Maybe it's just that I've accepted that they're going way off script from the books and just kinda doing their own thing.  And if you can tolerate cartoons, Scavengers Reign was one of the better sci-fi shows of last year.
Is that based on the Assimov book? If so I'd probably love it. Nah to cartoons or fantasy stuff. Hard to find decent tv series on DVD - even at the big city library where they are free - but usually older. I did watch the Westworld series recently which was...ok...as well as some drama tv series and some movies (Dune etc) but when I have to stay home for several days binge watching some sci-fi is pretty fun.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3185 on: March 13, 2024, 09:49:49 AM »

Is that based on the Assimov book? If so I'd probably love it. Nah to cartoons or fantasy stuff. Hard to find decent tv series on DVD - even at the big city library where they are free - but usually older. I did watch the Westworld series recently which was...ok...as well as some drama tv series and some movies (Dune etc) but when I have to stay home for several days binge watching some sci-fi is pretty fun.

Yeah, the Asimov series.  Although, as a huge fan of the Foundation books I have to say that they significantly altered the plot to try to make it more exciting (and many of the changes especially in the first season) were pretty jarring to me.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #3186 on: March 14, 2024, 07:05:24 PM »
For those interested in Three-Body (the Chinese series), you can watch it for free (with commercials) on the Rakuten Viki streaming service (https://www.viki.com).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 07:07:15 PM by rab-bit »

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #3187 on: March 14, 2024, 10:56:08 PM »

Halo isn't as terrible as the gamers made it out to be, but it's much more entertainment than sci-fi.  From what I gather it is only loosely based on the game.  I watched it in the background while doing chores around the house.  There's only one scene that goes 'gamer mode' in the final episode, but it is pretty cool.  The series is too drawn out a lot of the time but does eventually get to a satisfying climax.  Hard to say I'd recommend it, so much other good stuff out there, but it's not terrible.
I just saw a preview for it (2nd season I guess) and it looked good and seemed highly rated (by 13 year old boys living in their mom's basement ;-)). My mind can't quite wrap around game to tv series as it would seem hard to follow any of them ( 3 Body included - thanks for the link @rab-bit) but will check them out when can.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 11:00:49 PM by spartana »

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3188 on: March 15, 2024, 01:25:37 AM »
Just finished series 1 of 'hidden' on iPlayer in the UK. V good, Welsh noir.

Starting series 2 of the dry on itv. Series 1 was good.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3189 on: March 15, 2024, 04:37:12 AM »
My mind can't quite wrap around game to tv series as it would seem hard to follow any of them ( 3 Body included - thanks for the link @rab-bit) but will check them out when can.

The 3 Body tv series is based off a science fiction book.  I've written so much about it on this page I didn't think to explain it again when I suggested it to you.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3190 on: March 15, 2024, 07:43:11 AM »
I see A Gentleman in Moscow is soon to be a TV series.

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #3191 on: March 15, 2024, 09:28:47 AM »
My mind can't quite wrap around game to tv series as it would seem hard to follow any of them ( 3 Body included - thanks for the link @rab-bit) but will check them out when can.

The 3 Body tv series is based off a science fiction book.  I've written so much about it on this page I didn't think to explain it again when I suggested it to you.
I was familiar with the book but I guess I should have said the Halo game version not the book (ship) one. I didn't read all the thread (oops!) as I only recently got a TV after years without one so now I guess I have some catching up to do ;-).

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3192 on: March 15, 2024, 01:49:35 PM »
I see A Gentleman in Moscow is soon to be a TV series.

Crossing fingers b/c the book is fantastic.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3193 on: March 22, 2024, 07:57:32 AM »
Started 3 Body Problem last night. A bit slow but good special effects.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3194 on: March 22, 2024, 08:00:26 AM »
Guy Ritchie's "The Gentleman" on Netflix is astoundingly stupid, but rather watchable.

I had to quickly release any expectations and disappointment about it not being a particularly intelligent production and just give in to it being silly, but once I could do that and not get irritated with dumb characters being dumb and ridiculous, I have really been enjoying it.

It's light, silly fun with snappy production and charming actors delivering some occasionally punchy lines.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3195 on: March 22, 2024, 08:49:50 AM »
We just started watching the third season of For All Mankind . . . and it's pretty fantastic TV.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3196 on: March 22, 2024, 10:53:41 AM »
Started 3 Body Problem last night. A bit slow but good special effects.

I was reading a review on NPR, and they said the pacing got much better after the first 3 episodes. 

I'll get a chance to check it out next week.  We don't have Netflix at home, so I watch when donating platelets, which gives me 2 hour blocks of free time.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3197 on: March 22, 2024, 11:01:20 AM »
We just started watching the third season of For All Mankind . . . and it's pretty fantastic TV.

It's so good, I don't know why more people don't talk about it.

Each episode is produced like a full movie.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3198 on: March 22, 2024, 11:50:17 AM »

Yes!

It's a touch science fiction, a touch drama.  Pretty awesome acting all around and great writing.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3199 on: March 22, 2024, 12:39:27 PM »

Yes!

It's a touch science fiction, a touch drama.  Pretty awesome acting all around and great writing.
I’ve been hand waving about this series since the first episode, sometimes on this very thread. We’ll renew our Prime membership for season 4.

Meanwhile, we finished The Gentlemen and as I previously noted, if you set your brain to Guy Ritchie, it’s a fun caper. I watched it one episode at a time because two in a row made the implausible nonsense build up too high but I could accept one episodes worth of nonsense at a time. Also I have a weakness for stylish no-nonsense brunettes so Susie Glass was a treat.