Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 724229 times)

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1700 on: September 08, 2021, 10:05:49 AM »
Noodle,
my homie!  I grew up in the same area as Mare of Easttown is set, and I've also been urged by a high school friend to check it out. 
Ever been to LaSpada's for hoagies??

Alas, I don't have HBO so I'm hoping it will show up somewhere else eventually.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1701 on: September 08, 2021, 10:13:18 AM »
Wanted to recommend "Charite at War" on Netflix.  Based on a real-life German hospital trying to function during mid-to-end of WWII, also with major characters based on real-life people. 

Really compelling.  For me it showed how psychologically torturous it must have been to live life under a regime where your neighbors and co-workers could be spies and turn you in to the Gestapo for something as simple as listening to the BBC on the radio.  We always imagine that war-time life is difficult because of food shortages or rationing of gas or other material things, but the relentless emotional and psychological oppression seems even more onerous. 
A definite recommend.   (it said Season 1, but I don't know if it continues and it's just not on Netflix?)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1702 on: September 08, 2021, 11:47:39 AM »
In honor of Michael K. Williams, I'm finally getting around to watching 'The Wire'.  Love the dialogue, production value and acting is a bit sketchy, but helps me appreciate just how great it must've been.  Sorta like Paul Morphy (and even Bobby Fischer) in the day before Computers and Internets had their way with 'improving' everything...

Omar comin’!!!

A man has to have a code.

Back in 2002,an anti-hero robber of drug kingpins, an openly gay black man, was a pretty unusual ,dude.

It took me a few trys to get into The Wire. I finally turned on subtitles, which helped with sound level and clarity of speech. So many Baltimore scenes were what I see each day in St. Louis. The Projects in The Wire are exactly the same set of buildings as the ones down the street from me. The burned out Victorian shells up in North St. louis, a couple of miles from me, look like those in The Wire.

The once lovely 19th century and the Gubmnt-built crap  in both cities are remarkably similar.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:49:45 AM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1703 on: September 08, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
In honor of Michael K. Williams, I'm finally getting around to watching 'The Wire'.  Love the dialogue, production value and acting is a bit sketchy, but helps me appreciate just how great it must've been.  Sorta like Paul Morphy (and even Bobby Fischer) in the day before Computers and Internets had their way with 'improving' everything...

Omar comin’!!!

A man has to have a code.

Back in 2002,an anti-hero robber of drug kingpins, an openly gay black man, was a pretty unusual ,dude.

It took me a few trys to get into The Wire. I finally turned on subtitles, which helped with sound level and clarity of speech. So many Baltimore scenes were what I see each day in St. Louis. The Projects in The Wire are exactly the same set of buildings as the ones down the street from me. The burned out Victorian shells up in North St. louis, a couple of miles from me, look like those in The Wire.

The once lovely 19th century and the Gubmnt-built crap  in both cities are remarkably similar.

I also love him as the black gay cowboy in Hap and Leonard. That's a really fun show.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1704 on: September 08, 2021, 07:20:29 PM »
Started watching 'The Man in the High Castle' . . . it's an old Philip K Dick story that I somehow missed reading as a child.  Kind of an alternate future sort of thing, about life in the world where the Germans and Japanese won the second World War and divided up everything between each other.  Very well acted, and well written plot.

I loved that one. Enjoy!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1705 on: September 08, 2021, 07:21:52 PM »
Season 3 of "What We Do in the Shadows" (FX vampire comedy series) is in progress, and the first two eps are on Hulu. This is one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1706 on: September 09, 2021, 12:24:05 AM »
Wanted to recommend "Charite at War" on Netflix.  Based on a real-life German hospital trying to function during mid-to-end of WWII, also with major characters based on real-life people. 

Really compelling.  For me it showed how psychologically torturous it must have been to live life under a regime where your neighbors and co-workers could be spies and turn you in to the Gestapo for something as simple as listening to the BBC on the radio.  We always imagine that war-time life is difficult because of food shortages or rationing of gas or other material things, but the relentless emotional and psychological oppression seems even more onerous. 
A definite recommend.   (it said Season 1, but I don't know if it continues and it's just not on Netflix?)
There are three series of Charité so far. The first was set at the end of the 19th century and focused on TB vaccine research. The second one is set in WWII and the third around the time the Berlin Wall was built.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1707 on: September 09, 2021, 08:09:44 AM »

There are three series of Charité so far. The first was set at the end of the 19th century and focused on TB vaccine research. The second one is set in WWII and the third around the time the Berlin Wall was built.

Thanks.  It's also reminded me that there are many types of bravery other than what we typically define as being in physical combat - there are actually many "front lines" where people can serve.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1708 on: September 09, 2021, 11:03:37 AM »
Started watching 'The Man in the High Castle' . . . it's an old Philip K Dick story that I somehow missed reading as a child.  Kind of an alternate future sort of thing, about life in the world where the Germans and Japanese won the second World War and divided up everything between each other.  Very well acted, and well written plot.

I loved that one. Enjoy!

+1  My only complaint, and maybe it's my own failing, but it just moves so slowly.  I was captivated by the alternate history aspect, but also wanted the 'mystery' part of the plot to move forward too.  Who or what was the man in the high castle??!!!  I ended up reading the book and then skipping to the end of the series when it was finally released, so ultimately I wasn't quite so frustrated...

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1709 on: September 09, 2021, 11:48:11 AM »

I loved that one. Enjoy!

+1  My only complaint, and maybe it's my own failing, but it just moves so slowly.  I was captivated by the alternate history aspect, but also wanted the 'mystery' part of the plot to move forward too.  Who or what was the man in the high castle??!!!  I ended up reading the book and then skipping to the end of the series when it was finally released, so ultimately I wasn't quite so frustrated...

The Man in the High Castle was so very very dark.I watched two seasons put it down skipped some time and then went back and finished it. Mainly I want to see what happened to that German hi commander guy in New York City and his family.

my favorite dramas are lighter and they have a touch of levity in some way. This one was unrelieved darkness, one tone and for that reason was a bit dull.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1710 on: September 09, 2021, 12:11:17 PM »
Season 3 of "What We Do in the Shadows" (FX vampire comedy series) is in progress, and the first two eps are on Hulu. This is one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time.

Have you watched the original movie?  We saw it (and love it) before watching the first season of the series, so it fell a bit flat since most of the humor repeats itself, except that it drags on over longer screen time.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1711 on: September 09, 2021, 12:43:50 PM »

Have you watched the original movie?  We saw it (and love it) before watching the first season of the series, so it fell a bit flat since most of the humor repeats itself, except that it drags on over longer screen time.

We felt this as well, at first. Loved the movie, thought the show was just ok. However, the show got better as it went along.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1712 on: September 09, 2021, 01:15:01 PM »

Once, years ago. I'm a big fan of Matt Berry, so his performance as Laszlo was worth it to me. The sitcom cast is wonderful.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1713 on: September 09, 2021, 01:58:22 PM »

I loved that one. Enjoy!

The Man in the High Castle was so very very dark.I watched two seasons put it down skipped some time and then went back and finished it. Mainly I want to see what happened to that German hi commander guy in New York City and his family.

my favorite dramas are lighter and they have a touch of levity in some way. This one was unrelieved darkness, one tone and for that reason was a bit dull.

Huh.  I don't find it all that dark.  Handmaid's Tale was much darker IMO.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1714 on: September 09, 2021, 03:24:58 PM »

I loved that one. Enjoy!

Depends how sensitized you are to Nazis

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1715 on: September 09, 2021, 09:52:09 PM »

Season 2 really hit its stride, for sure!

Love Guillermo! <3

We felt this as well, at first. Loved the movie, thought the show was just ok. However, the show got better as it went along.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1716 on: September 10, 2021, 07:25:17 AM »

I loved that one. Enjoy!

Depends how sensitized you are to Nazis

Could be.  I was thinking the reaction might be related to plausibility of the storylines.  :P

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1717 on: September 10, 2021, 08:30:07 AM »
I find Handmaid’s Tale and Man in the High Castle equally unrelenting in their darkness.

I have found Handmaid’s Tale more interesting, mainly because it was a world of women while the Castle show is largely a world of men even tho the protagonist is female.

I may not watch more of Handmaid’s Tale. I finished, was it season 3? I watch trailers and read internet gossip so I know what happened in season 4. It’s always kind of the same thing.

I knew the Castle show had a ending because it was based on Philip Dick’s novel. Handmaid’s Tale,, well, at this point they’re making it up as they go. It is a wonderfully imagined atmospheric world though, I have to say that.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1718 on: September 10, 2021, 08:39:34 AM »
I actually found The Handmaid's Tale light compared to the book.

Offred has WAY more freedom in the show. In the book her inability to even talk to a fellow handmaid was so suffocating. I get that it would make shit tv since it was all about not being able to even interact with people or get anything done and the show is all about her fighting and getting righteous revenge, but that's also what made the book so incredibly powerful. It's crushing just how little she can manage to do in the book.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1719 on: September 27, 2021, 11:03:06 PM »
I have surpassed 100 lifetime posts so I can finally post in the off topic threads...

I tend to mostly watch and enjoy foreign and less-heard-of shows that have little mainstream appeal.

All-time favorite TV series:
Detectorists -- this is a quirky British show about people who are passionate about hunting for treasure with metal detectors. It's hard to explain the appeal but you will likely know if it's for you very quickly. It is sincere, lyrical, quirky, and just darn good. Available to stream on Acorn TV and I believe also Amazon Prime.

Other favorites include:

The Bureau -- great French spy drama that some have compared to The Wire. It is a slow burn but outstanding in all respects. On Sundance streaming.

Top of the Lake -- excellent, atmospheric thriller set in New Zealand starring Elisabeth Moss. There are two seasons, but I only really recommend the first. On Hulu.

Escape at Dannemora -- prison escape drama with Benicio Del Toro and Paul Dano. I believe it is based on a true story. An outstanding series that feels very authentic and was filmed in a real prison setting. On Amazon Prime.

Only Murders in the Building -- Steve Martin/Martin Short/Selena Gomez whodunnit that is currently dropping new episodes weekly on Hulu. A lot of fun with some good one liners.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1720 on: September 28, 2021, 06:07:34 AM »
I have surpassed 100 lifetime posts so I can finally post in the off topic threads...

I tend to mostly watch and enjoy foreign and less-heard-of shows that have little mainstream appeal.

All-time favorite TV series:
Detectorists -- this is a quirky British show about people who are passionate about hunting for treasure with metal detectors. It's hard to explain the appeal but you will likely know if it's for you very quickly. It is sincere, lyrical, quirky, and just darn good. Available to stream on Acorn TV and I believe also Amazon Prime.

Other favorites include:

The Bureau -- great French spy drama that some have compared to The Wire. It is a slow burn but outstanding in all respects. On Sundance streaming.

Top of the Lake -- excellent, atmospheric thriller set in New Zealand starring Elisabeth Moss. There are two seasons, but I only really recommend the first. On Hulu.

Escape at Dannemora -- prison escape drama with Benicio Del Toro and Paul Dano. I believe it is based on a true story. An outstanding series that feels very authentic and was filmed in a real prison setting. On Amazon Prime.

Only Murders in the Building -- Steve Martin/Martin Short/Selena Gomez whodunnit that is currently dropping new episodes weekly on Hulu. A lot of fun with some good one liners.

We talk about Detertorists here! It is fun and wry.

Your other recommendations are interesting.

I am on an Israeli/Middle Eastern kick. After casting about trying to find shows as good as Shitisel and Caliphate, I ran across Harem, a family drama about a cult. It was good. I am currently watching The Baker and the Beauty but it is only OK. Fauda is highly recommended, but my streaming services don’t carry it. I watched the film “In Syria” which was very good to bring home the idea to us
Americans of what happens  a civilized place and those of us in our comfortable homes, goes way bad.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 06:12:31 AM by iris lily »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1721 on: September 28, 2021, 06:32:53 AM »
I know it's jumping on the bandwagon, but Netflix's South Korean 'Squid Game' is keeping me entertained these days.  I've spent time in Ulsan, Busan, and Geoje so it's fun to see the sights and sounds again.  It is also faithfully bizarre to some of my experiences over there, keeping me engaged, although the series premise is completely ridiculous and over the top.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1722 on: September 28, 2021, 07:57:39 AM »
Noodle,
my homie!  I grew up in the same area as Mare of Easttown is set, and I've also been urged by a high school friend to check it out. 

Quoting myself to say that HBO was free last weekend so I binge watched Mare of Easttown.  Great little series of 7 or 8 episodes.  Fans are hoping for a Season 2 but right now it doesn't look like that's happening.  I was surprised to see that 3 of the top actors were British, and they definitely nailed the unique Phillly/Delco accent.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1723 on: September 28, 2021, 10:16:29 AM »
Noodle,

Quoting myself to say that HBO was free last weekend so I binge watched Mare of Easttown.  Great little series of 7 or 8 episodes.  Fans are hoping for a Season 2 but right now it doesn't look like that's happening.  I was surprised to see that 3 of the top actors were British, and they definitely nailed the unique Phillly/Delco accent.

Loved this.  I just can't figure out what Guy Pearce was doing in that show.  Why put in an Emmy winning actor in such a dull role.  I thought for sure something was going to come of his character!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1724 on: September 28, 2021, 10:23:35 AM »
Noodle,

Loved this.  I just can't figure out what Guy Pearce was doing in that show.  Why put in an Emmy winning actor in such a dull role.  I thought for sure something was going to come of his character!

Really? I was just happy to see him get a role in something that wasn't low budget and awful. He's had a pretty terrible run since he was a big deal.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1725 on: September 28, 2021, 11:28:17 AM »
Noodle,

Really? I was just happy to see him get a role in something that wasn't low budget and awful. He's had a pretty terrible run since he was a big deal.

Yes, he had a nice little run after LA Confidential and Memento but all good things come to an end.  The Jack Irish series isn't too bad, if you like Australian tv.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1726 on: September 28, 2021, 11:55:58 AM »
Yes, he had a nice little run after LA Confidential and Memento but all good things come to an end.  The Jack Irish series isn't too bad, if you like Australian tv.

Australian tv is the BEST tv.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1727 on: September 28, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »

Can you recommend some good Australian TV series? I've seen Mystery Road, and I thought the first series was pretty good.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1728 on: September 28, 2021, 05:08:38 PM »

Can you recommend some good Australian TV series? I've seen Mystery Road, and I thought the first series was pretty good.

Rake is about a debauched lawyer, it's so offensively hilarious. DH and I quote it often.

Wentworth is about a women's prison, and the show makes Orange Is The New Black look like a warm hug. Truly amazing characters, and some of the best, most dynamic villains I've ever seen.

Offspring is a great light comedy about a single doctor, her dating life, and her nutty family. It's better than it sounds by that description.

Please Like Me is a fucking gem. I don't even know how to describe it but it's about a guy coming out, and his nutty family and friends. But it's funny, and moving, and brilliant. It takes time to really get into it beyond being a quirky comedy, but you end up *very* attached to the characters and any time I think about the ending, I have to pause for a little bit and reflect...and I finished it 6 years ago.

Wonderland is basically an Aussie take on Friends where most of the characters live in the same building, in sets of roommates, and one character is another's sister. So yeah, Aussie Friends.

Australian TV really is the best. It somehow manages to be more cynical AND more earnest than American TV. I don't know how they manage it, but they do.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1729 on: September 28, 2021, 05:25:00 PM »

Not sure if it's available where you are but Fisk is lowkey gold about a middle aged female lawyer who leaves Sydney to go to Melbourne and ends up working at a suburban solicitors office. Very Australian humour, dry and builds on itself. "When Helen Tudor-Fisk's life falls apart, she takes a job in a small suburban firm specializing in wills and probate, assuming that because the clients are dead she won't have to deal with people."

Please Like Me is really good.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1730 on: September 28, 2021, 06:04:14 PM »

Not sure if it's available where you are but Fisk is lowkey gold about a middle aged female lawyer who leaves Sydney to go to Melbourne and ends up working at a suburban solicitors office. Very Australian humour, dry and builds on itself. "When Helen Tudor-Fisk's life falls apart, she takes a job in a small suburban firm specializing in wills and probate, assuming that because the clients are dead she won't have to deal with people."

Please Like Me is really good.

Good list, I would add Mr InBetween on Hulu. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1731 on: September 28, 2021, 06:24:54 PM »
I just finished The Chair.

It was very good, and a very accurate representation of academic bullshit, except IMO, it was actually too light on the bullshit. Unless academia has gotten less vile since I left? Which seems doubtful.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1732 on: September 28, 2021, 06:33:55 PM »

It was very good, and a very accurate representation of academic bullshit, except IMO, it was actually too light on the bullshit. Unless academia has gotten less vile since I left? Which seems doubtful.

So, I started The Chair, but I literally could not get five minutes in without being completely unable to get past the fact that virtually everyone in that department was an old white person, and the vast majority men. So…. How did Ji-Yoon Kim ever get elected chair?

It seems incredibly unrealistic. I mean, does the show explain that a bit further in?

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1733 on: September 28, 2021, 06:53:58 PM »

So, I started The Chair, but I literally could not get five minutes in without being completely unable to get past the fact that virtually everyone in that department was an old white person, and the vast majority men. So…. How did Ji-Yoon Kim ever get elected chair?

It seems incredibly unrealistic. I mean, does the show explain that a bit further in?
Do you believe this because all old white men are all racist, sexist, or both?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1734 on: September 28, 2021, 06:57:17 PM »

So, I started The Chair, but I literally could not get five minutes in without being completely unable to get past the fact that virtually everyone in that department was an old white person, and the vast majority men. So…. How did that woman ever get elected chair?

No, I think the viewer is supposed to concoct a narrative for themselves as to how she was elected. My instinct was to assume that no one else really wanted the job because they're all old and lazy and not cut out for the hard work and political bullshit when they can just coast. Plus they specifically talk about using the fact that she's a woman of colour to promote the faculty.

I can absolutely believe it, my old faculty was almost exclusively old white men, and none of them wanted the role. It was like hot potato between the two youngest guys in their 50s just tossing the role back at each other as soon as they could weasel out of it.

My biggest issue with the show is the very messy love interest. DH just kept rolling his eyes and saying "she's so out of his league it's gross". I actively wanted bad outcomes for his character.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1735 on: September 28, 2021, 06:57:52 PM »

I believe this because I spent literal decades in academia.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1736 on: September 28, 2021, 07:00:07 PM »

Same. And I can't speak for Kris, but I suspect neither of us have much interest in taking this bait.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1737 on: September 28, 2021, 07:02:43 PM »
I also wondered how the hell Sandra Oh got that position. I also find her love interest actively revolting and the fact that she's attracted to him makes me think she's too stupid to be chair.  So, I'm kind of iffy on this show overall, though I like the concept. ETA Decades of experience with academia here, as well.

« Reply #1738 on: September 28, 2021, 07:04:44 PM »

Same. And I can't speak for Kris, but I suspect neither of us have much interest in taking this bait.
Yes, but there must be an explanation either rooted in meritocracy or sexism/racism. I majored in sciences where the chair position was by all indications not highly sought after and presumably not terribly higher in status than the other full professors, so for me, believing that someone not the most senior position in the department would assume it was not a shocking concept.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1739 on: September 28, 2021, 07:08:13 PM »

So, I started The Chair, but I literally could not get five minutes in without being completely unable to get past the fact that virtually everyone in that department was an old white person, and the vast majority men. So…. How did that woman ever get elected chair?

No, I think the viewer is supposed to concoct a narrative for themselves as to how she was elected. My instinct was to assume that no one else really wanted the job because they're all old and lazy and not cut out for the hard work and political bullshit when they can just coast. Plus they specifically talk about using the fact that she's a woman of colour to promote the faculty.

I can absolutely believe it, my old faculty was almost exclusively old white men, and none of them wanted the role. It was like hot potato between the two youngest guys in their 50s just tossing the role back at each other as soon as they could weasel out of it.

My biggest issue with the show is the very messy love interest. DH just kept rolling his eyes and saying "she's so out of his league it's gross". I actively wanted bad outcomes for his character.

Yes, I totally understand that lack of desire by old white men to take on the work. I was elected chair of my department for the first time probably for that reason.

But… yeah, racism plus sexism… in a department that old and that white, I just don’t see it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 07:11:20 PM by Kris »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1740 on: September 28, 2021, 07:12:15 PM »

Yes, I totally understand that lack of desire by old white men to take on the work. I was elected chair of my department for the first time probably for that reason.

But… yeah, racism plus sexism… in a department that white, I just don’t see it.

That's why the specific conversations with the Dean about how they keep using her image to bolster their image stood out to me. So no one wants the job, and the department is actively pushing to make her the face of the department. Seems plausible to me.

She's also replacing the love interest guy who had the role before her until he lost his wife. So I also assumed that he lobbied for her, and he clearly holds a lot of sway as the youngish superstar of the department, until things go sideways for him.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1741 on: September 28, 2021, 07:16:22 PM »

But… yeah, racism plus sexism… in a department that white, I just don’t see it.

That's why the specific conversations with the Dean about how they keep using her image to bolster their image stood out to me. So no one wants the job, and the department is actively pushing to make her the face of the department. Seems plausible to me.

She's also replacing the love interest guy who had the role before her until he lost his wife. So I also assumed that he lobbied for her, and he clearly holds a lot of sway as the youngish superstar of the department, until things go sideways for him.

Okay, I stopped after less than ten minutes because it felt fake to me. So I guess I have to give it the whole first episode to see whether I buy it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1742 on: September 28, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
Okay, I stopped after less than ten minutes because it felt fake to me. So I guess I have to give it the whole first episode to see whether I buy it.

The show is not aspirational or inspirational in any way if that helps put it in context. It's not about a brilliant, trailblazing woman of colour making her mark in a traditionally white male environment.

It's more about the bullshit of academia than anything else, it isn't trying to sell you on anything, it's not earnest or hopeful, and Sandra Oh's character isn't a #girlboss who is kicking ass.

For me, it would have been great if they had just kept the love interest guy a messy best friend. The entire plot would have still worked. That was the only off putting part for me, and I'm very sensitive to unrealistic aspirational #girlboss crap.

Literally all of the characters are well done though, even the messy love interest, and even the kid, and I generally do not like child characters in shows, but the kid is so fucked up, she's great.

I can say it's probably not what you expect it to be. It wasn't what I expected at all. Its not a traditional American style show.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 07:34:10 PM by Malcat »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1743 on: September 28, 2021, 07:35:27 PM »

The show is not aspirational or inspirational in any way if that helps put it in context. It's not about a brilliant, trailblazing woman of colour making her mark in a traditionally white male environment.

It's more about the bullshit of academia than anything else, it isn't trying to sell you on anything, it's not earnest or hopeful, and Sandra Oh's character isn't a #girlboss who is kicking ass.

For me, it would have been great if they had just kept the love interest guy a messy best friend. The entire plot would have still worked. That was the only off putting part for me, and I'm very sensitive to unrealistic aspirational #girlboss crap.

I mean, I definitely did not expect it to be aspirational. I just expected it to be a little realistic.

I’ll grant you, I left academia five years ago, and I taught at Moo U, so my perspective might be off. But yeah, struggling to buy the original premise a bit. Still, like I said, I haven’t even watched a full episode, so I guess i’ll watch a little more and then try to decide.

« Reply #1744 on: September 28, 2021, 08:00:41 PM »
Even if you must suspend disbelief regarding the ascendancy of Oh's character, I found it to be a compassionate depiction of what that could look like. She is not cast with the intention of being a Marvel superhero but rather a perfectly human character with all of the normal baggage and problems you'd expect of a real person put into that situation. Perhaps we can also wonder how an American named Lenny became pope in "The Young Pope" (another great show about true-belief and institutions) but that is not really the point.

The mob scenes involving the student body obviously evoke the tenor of Jordan Peterson's confrontation and perhaps also echo the (now quaint) comedy film "PCU" in the exhibits of willful ignorance for the purpose of Purity Spiral points, now amplified by social media.

Overall I find it to be a deft commentary on how good people can fail in bad institutions, which is one of the most important lessons of our day. There are problems with the writing and tone, to be sure, but that was my steelman takeaway.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1745 on: September 28, 2021, 11:05:41 PM »

Oh, I completely forgot about Mr. InBetween. I loved that show! It's brutally honest and raw. For those who like anti-hero shows like Breaking Bad, you'll probably like it. Trivia: the series was directed by Nash Edgerton, brother of actor Joel Edgerton.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 04:54:14 PM by evme »

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1746 on: September 30, 2021, 06:37:22 AM »

Oh, I completely forgot about Mr. InBetween. I loved that show! It's brutally honest and raw. For those who like anti-hero shows like Breaking Bad, you'll probably like it. Trivia: the series was directed by Nash Edgerton, brother of actor Joel Edgerton.

I'll add a bit more trivia - if you get through Mr InBetween and simply must have more, the series is based on the movie The Magician - same character/actor/writer but super low budget - like it's basically just him with a camcorder.  Completely different production values, but the dialogue and rawness is there.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1747 on: September 30, 2021, 07:21:17 AM »
I recently finished season 3 of Sex Education and it was wonderful.

Granted, I've been singing their glee-club version of "fuck the pain away" for days because it's a serious ear-worm.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1748 on: September 30, 2021, 07:26:17 AM »
I know it's jumping on the bandwagon, but Netflix's South Korean 'Squid Game' is keeping me entertained these days.

Since you said it came out of South Korea I looked this one up and have started watching it.  (I've a lot of surprisingly good South Korean movies over the years.)  Only one episode in so far, but it hasn't disappointed!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1749 on: September 30, 2021, 03:38:49 PM »
I recently finished season 3 of Sex Education and it was wonderful.

Granted, I've been singing their glee-club version of "fuck the pain away" for days because it's a serious ear-worm.

I also just finished both The Chair and Sex Education.  Both were great.  In The Chair I really loved the older woman professor.  Such an incredible actor and her experience really rings true for some older female academics I've known.

Sex Education - what can I say?  I especially loved episode 5 but I won't spoil it for anyone.  This really is just the best show.

Another one I just watched was Season 3 of Pose.  Most of the cast is transgender women. They are all amazing and it's so funny and sad and just great.  Billy Porter is also in it and he's just so amazingly talented.