Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 979364 times)

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2950 on: December 22, 2020, 05:17:54 PM »
Grilled cheese sandwiches and roasted broccoli.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2951 on: December 22, 2020, 05:33:02 PM »
I'm so craving grilled cheese sandwiches. A friend recently started a fancy grilled cheese recipe (from pret a manger) that were gonna try, but after the holiday cooking spree.

Tonight is Rick Bayless' ceviche. Not traditional, but delicious with lots of avocado and cucumber. It's very green, and we'll end up serving it with either brussels or broccoli, so yet another monochrome dinner. We often end up with monochrome green, beige or orange dinners somehow.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2952 on: December 22, 2020, 09:46:33 PM »
Made a random ingredient casserole tonight: shredded up leftover roasted chicken mixed with baked spaghetti squash, a jar of chile verde sauce I canned last year, half a cup of dried tomatoes in olive oil, pickled jalapenos, half a can of olives, then refried beans spread over the top, sprinkled with minced shallot and colby Jack cheese.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2953 on: December 23, 2020, 04:14:14 AM »
I made a salad of baby spinach, olives, tomatoes and grapefruit chunks topped wiht blue cheese dressing. I am not a big fruit eater and get some in my Misfits box so rather than 'forget' the grapefruit in the fridge, I decided to add to my salad. It was a pink grapefruit and gave the salad added tang and of course a good dose of Vitamin C. With this salad, I had a veggie lasagna.

Got a question. Does anyone have any good recipes for rutabaga? I have two large round ones and I am thinking of boiling then mashing them with butter to make a mashed potato type side dish.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2954 on: December 23, 2020, 10:01:32 AM »
I think we're having steak, brussel sprouts & salad tonight.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2955 on: December 23, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »
Baked salmon and roasted cauliflower, I think. Something simple tonight because we're planning to make several pounds of tamales tomorrow.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2956 on: December 23, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
I made a salad of baby spinach, olives, tomatoes and grapefruit chunks topped wiht blue cheese dressing. I am not a big fruit eater and get some in my Misfits box so rather than 'forget' the grapefruit in the fridge, I decided to add to my salad. It was a pink grapefruit and gave the salad added tang and of course a good dose of Vitamin C. With this salad, I had a veggie lasagna.

Got a question. Does anyone have any good recipes for rutabaga? I have two large round ones and I am thinking of boiling then mashing them with butter to make a mashed potato type side dish.

I like this recipe, though it is for a variety of root veg.  You could certainly try it with just rutabaga.  It's the only way I can get DH to eat these root veg. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roasted-parsnips-turnips-and-rutabagas-with-ancho-spiced-honey-glaze-361291

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2957 on: December 24, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »

They can be pretty strong-tasting on their own. A roasted and flavored recipe, such as @sui generis recommended, or boiling and mashing them WITH potatoes (to tone down the taste) might also work well. You can toss one (I wouldn't use two into beef stew with a variety of other root vegetables. If you chop it up into fairly small pieces, you could include it in shepherd's pie, or shepherdess pie (includes red lentils) or chicken soup or chicken stew...

Tonight: we're having Alison Roman's white bean stew with harissa and broccolini (and kale), with feta, preserved lemons, and homemade bread.

Tomorrow: We're going for a ski tour, so before I go to bed I'm going to organize for this: Roast Beef, potatoes gratin (with fontina cheese) roasted brussels sprouts, possibly yorkshire pudding, the smitten kitchen gingerbread roulade, only with stewed apples inside along with the whipped cream/ricotta blend, and probably mincemeat pies. With hard sauce,(AKA "Brandy butter") since there's been requests for that.  Yes, I started the mincemeat 5 weeks ago, thanks for asking :^)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2958 on: December 24, 2020, 07:37:16 PM »
Chicken Panang curry over cauliflower rice, topped with some cashews.

Tomorrow I'm cooking a beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts, but our main focus is desserts: pecan pie, apple pie, vanilla ice cream, and possibly a small cheesecake with raspberry sauce. Then I will roll myself out to the barn to ride. Merry Christmas!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2959 on: December 24, 2020, 09:21:34 PM »
We did homemade pierogi, a Christmas Eve tradition for DH's family, all the more important since we aren't with them. I've never made them before, and while we were aiming for about 50-60, we ended up with enough dough and filling for about 100. Geez that was a lot of work. We did a traditional cheese and then some non traditional fillings of ground lamb with spinach and parsley and a crab and potato mixture. They were great and apparently we never need to cook again. Served with a traditional kielbasa (we found a European deli a couple neighborhoods over) and, just to keep everyone on their toes, Chinese dry fried green beans.

Cookies and mulled wine for dessert!

I'm too tired to think about tomorrow right now, but DH tells me it will be easier.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2960 on: December 24, 2020, 10:15:30 PM »
Oh man, the tamales were worth it, but we started prepping at 11 am and got to eat them at 9 pm. As a kid, I watched my parents and relatives make them so I had some idea of what to expect. My Midwestern WASP husband really had no clue. But he agreed that we should make them again.

Tomorrow’s dinner will be white chicken chili. Tasty and not much effort.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2961 on: December 25, 2020, 07:46:14 AM »
Last night I made a Christmas dinner of slow braised stuffed duck instead of turkey because I find turkey bland.

It was phenomenal.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2962 on: December 25, 2020, 10:24:44 AM »
After all the talk about standing rib roasts on the Pandemic Hoarding thread, I purchased one for the first time.  Today I’m making prime rib, roasted Brussels sprouts, carrots, and baby potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, horseradish sauce, and au jus.  Besides needing a schedule for the oven time, it’s been fairly easy so far.

Dessert will be leftover birthday cake (okay, we’re actually eating it now as a snack before a late lunch).

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2963 on: December 25, 2020, 11:06:47 AM »
Lamb chops, baked potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, wilted cucumber salad and apple pie burritos for desert.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2964 on: December 25, 2020, 06:49:46 PM »
Also having lamb chops (in the sous vide right now, with rosemary and garlic), mashed potatoes and joining in on the brussels sprouts frenzy as well (a delicious recipe with fish sauce and chili paste to mix things up).

Chocolate bread pudding, and probably more mulled wine, for dessert.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2965 on: December 26, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
We have an absolutely ridiculous amount of leftovers from Christmas. I think tonight will be salmon & veggies. Tomorrow - shrimp & prime rib. Monday? maybe I'll make a pizza & put leftover charcuterie items on it. That's as far as I've gotten so far.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2966 on: December 27, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
Making pea soup from my Christmas ham bone. Tossed all the stuff in my crockpot and cranked it on high.

Tomorrow I am thinking pizza. I am craving it! Will make my own dough and mix it in the breadmaker.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2967 on: December 27, 2020, 01:24:36 PM »
I think we'll keep it light. My husband will have leftover salmon & I'll have chicken skewers over an avocado salad

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2968 on: December 27, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »
Prime rib sandwiches, homemade coleslaw

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2969 on: December 27, 2020, 04:19:40 PM »
I gave husband his long-wanted sous vide cooker for Christmas. He's making steaks (sous vide and then seared), twice-baked potatoes, and green salad for dinner.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2970 on: December 28, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »
We're having prime rib sliders with au jus, mashed potatoes & salad. We'll also put out a big charcuterie spread, because we have so many leftovers

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2971 on: December 28, 2020, 09:06:49 PM »
I roasted a turkey sans breast yesterday, picked the thigh/leg meat off, and made a big batch of stock. Today I used some of the stock and meat to make a cheddar/broccoli/turkey soup.

I have quarts and quarts of stock left, so I'm seeing more soup in our future. Maybe a turkey/chorizo/kale soup if I can get my hands on some kale. Split pea always sounds good too.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2972 on: December 29, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
I roasted a turkey sans breast yesterday, picked the thigh/leg meat off, and made a big batch of stock. Today I used some of the stock and meat to make a cheddar/broccoli/turkey soup.

I have quarts and quarts of stock left, so I'm seeing more soup in our future. Maybe a turkey/chorizo/kale soup if I can get my hands on some kale. Split pea always sounds good too.

Not sure what your freezer space situation is, but stock freezes beautifully. I'm always happy to have some in the freezer in, say, late January when the weather is dreadful and I want to make something fast, soupy, and delicious.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2973 on: December 29, 2020, 02:57:43 PM »
Paprika chicken with chickpeas (BF will get rice, I'll mix some spinach into mine), with roasted green beans and roasted sweet potatoes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2974 on: December 29, 2020, 08:31:05 PM »

Not sure what your freezer space situation is, but stock freezes beautifully. I'm always happy to have some in the freezer in, say, late January when the weather is dreadful and I want to make something fast, soupy, and delicious.

Oh yeah, I cook it down to a concentrate and freeze it in 4 oz containers so it doesn't take up much space.

Tonight: cube steaks dredged in potato starch and Old Bay, pan fried in bacon grease. Sadly, the steaks had too much internal moisture, which leaked out and made the breading soggy during the cooking process, but they were still good. Sauteed mushrooms, onions and spinach, and air-fried curly fries on the side.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2975 on: December 30, 2020, 12:36:05 PM »
We're driving back from our vacation house tomorrow, so it's an eat leftovers kind of day. We'll be having an assortment of: salmon, coconut shrimp, wings, green beans & salad.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2976 on: December 30, 2020, 05:56:59 PM »
Easy sheetpan dinner tonight: chunks of andouille sausage, homegrown butternut squash, tiny yellow potatoes and lots of halved Brussels sprouts, all showered with duck fat, salt and Urfa chile. Homemade horseradish and sauerkraut for condiments.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2977 on: December 30, 2020, 07:28:33 PM »
roasted cauliflower and black bean tacos, on soft corn tortillas. Chopped up roasted green chilis, red cabbage slaw, and pickled red onions, and sour cream. Yum!

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2978 on: December 30, 2020, 08:15:14 PM »
Beef and cabbage soup.  Homemade pretzels

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2979 on: December 30, 2020, 08:55:07 PM »
Last night: Budget Bytes' oven fajitas over cumin rice with chickpeas.

Tonight: big green salads with Costco rotisserie chicken and feta.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2980 on: December 31, 2020, 08:40:26 AM »
I gave husband his long-wanted sous vide cooker for Christmas. He's making steaks (sous vide and then seared), twice-baked potatoes, and green salad for dinner.

Nice. I still find the device a bit too pricy, including the bags. But the result tastes very good.

I ordered an extra attatchment for my pasta machine, if I remember correctly it is called bigoti, very thich spagetti like pasta. I ordered at Amazon Germany, with prepaid import fees, in the hope that I don't get a high additional cost. The package has been sent from Italy in the middle of December and is still somewhere in the DHL system without any updates.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2981 on: December 31, 2020, 10:33:10 AM »

Nice. I still find the device a bit too pricy, including the bags. But the result tastes very good.

I ordered an extra attatchment for my pasta machine, if I remember correctly it is called bigoti, very thich spagetti like pasta. I ordered at Amazon Germany, with prepaid import fees, in the hope that I don't get a high additional cost. The package has been sent from Italy in the middle of December and is still somewhere in the DHL system without any updates.

It was definitely a pricy device, but he's wanted one for a couple of years and it's certainly less expensive than a few restaurant dinners. We just use the bags that we buy for our vacuum sealer.

Shipping here has been a nightmare this year. I imagine it's much the same in Europe, but how frustrating to not have updates!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2982 on: December 31, 2020, 10:34:32 AM »
We are having our traditional NYE dinner of spicy whiskey BBQ sliders, roasted potatoes, some form of green veg, and a bottle of prosecco.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2983 on: December 31, 2020, 10:42:33 AM »
I am making one of the simplest meals of all-time: two ingredient pulled pork. Before I started work, I threw 3 lbs of pork into a slow cooker, covered the bottom with water, and left it to cook on low. After seven hours, I'll drain out the water, shred the pork with two forks, and mix in 20 oz of barbecue sauce. Then, I'll let it cook on low for another hour. For dinner, I serve it over rice with some veggies and it's easy as pie with very little cleanup and provides lots of leftovers for other dinners during the week.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2984 on: December 31, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »
I am making one of the simplest meals of all-time: two ingredient pulled pork. Before I started work, I threw 3 lbs of pork into a slow cooker, covered the bottom with water, and left it to cook on low. After seven hours, I'll drain out the water, shred the pork with two forks, and mix in 20 oz of barbecue sauce. Then, I'll let it cook on low for another hour. For dinner, I serve it over rice with some veggies and it's easy as pie with very little cleanup and provides lots of leftovers for other dinners during the week.

You've described exactly why pork shoulder is my favorite cut of meat. Little effort for a big, delicious payout, as long as you're patient. Your dinner sounds great!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2985 on: December 31, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »
Our traditional NYE dinner of cheese fondue (with salad, to be healthy, ha ha), followed after a reasonable break by chocolate fondue, with various kinds of fruit. Perhaps there will be green beans (with the first course) as well...

And champagne that a friend gave us. Happy New Year everyone!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2986 on: December 31, 2020, 04:53:26 PM »
Beloved SO cooked dinner at her house and will arrive at my house in a few hours.

She refused to tell me what she cooked because she wants to surprise me.

I've got all the ingredients of her favorite dessert so I'll surprise her too. It's strawberry shortcake.

Tonight @~ midnight I'll drink  my 1X-per-year drink. I don't drink anything thing with alcohol in it except on New Year's Eve when I drink an eggnog or two  w/ rum and nutmeg.

!!!!!!   HAPPY NEW YEAR  !!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:05:04 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2987 on: January 02, 2021, 09:34:01 AM »
We're having chicken curry. I think I'll sub cauliflower for the potatoes, to make it easier for my husband to eat & so I don't have to go to the store for potatoes.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2988 on: January 02, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »
Perogies (they were BOGO at the store, and I haven't had them in forever, so why not...) with leftover black eyed peas from yesterday (from Rancho Gordo - they are sooooo good) and a bag of veggies from the freezer.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2989 on: January 02, 2021, 10:06:52 AM »
Prime rib!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2990 on: January 02, 2021, 11:38:19 AM »
Pasta & garlic bread. The bread is leftover from an earlier meal this week - we have a bad habit of letting leftover baguettes go bad, so this is a good use for that - and I'll add some leftover green beans to my plate to increase my veggie intake and make the meal slightly more diet-friendly...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2991 on: January 02, 2021, 11:43:16 AM »
I have half a rotisserie chicken, some broccoli, cheddar, and yogurt. I think tonight might be a broccoli-rice casserole.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2992 on: January 02, 2021, 12:28:45 PM »
I'm making some meatball grinders tonight. I use my bread machine to mix the dough, then shape the rolls with a baguette mould I picked up from King Arthur Flour's website. Bake it for thirty minutes at 400 degrees F and then heat up the sauce made with some homemade Italian seasoning with some turkey meatballs. Takes about two hours total, but it's pretty easy. Good weekend meal when I have a little bit of time.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2993 on: January 02, 2021, 12:47:12 PM »

It was definitely a pricy device, but he's wanted one for a couple of years and it's certainly less expensive than a few restaurant dinners. We just use the bags that we buy for our vacuum sealer.

Just an FYI, you can sous vide in a reusable silicone bag. I got a couple of bags from Stasher on sale a year or two ago and I love them - you can freeze them, boil them, dishwasher them, microwave them, marinate in them, bake in them, etc. (I also got some cheaper no-name brand silicone bags from Amazon and they were terrible, so buyer beware.) I don't know how long it would take you to recoup the cost of the vacuum-sealer bags since you probably don't sous vide that often, but I love how much plastic waste I've avoided in my kitchen with them, so I thought I'd mention it. :-)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2994 on: January 02, 2021, 12:50:11 PM »
Older kid is leaving on Monday, so he's offered to make shepherd(ish)(ess) pie.

ish = beef instead of lamb
ess = also includes red lentils, which lets us cut down on the meat it a bit.
Also, this recipe contains a lot of (mostly frozen) veggies: I think it'll contain onions, a leek, edamame, frozen corn, and probably some frozen green beans, along with a mashed potato top layer. No pie crust, because that'd be icky.

Maybe with salad?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2995 on: January 02, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »

Just an FYI, you can sous vide in a reusable silicone bag. I got a couple of bags from Stasher on sale a year or two ago and I love them - you can freeze them, boil them, dishwasher them, microwave them, marinate in them, bake in them, etc. (I also got some cheaper no-name brand silicone bags from Amazon and they were terrible, so buyer beware.) I don't know how long it would take you to recoup the cost of the vacuum-sealer bags since you probably don't sous vide that often, but I love how much plastic waste I've avoided in my kitchen with them, so I thought I'd mention it. :-)

I wondered if those bags would be worth the money. Thanks for the heads up!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2996 on: January 02, 2021, 01:44:11 PM »

I really need to do this.  We just keep buying ziploc freezer bags (well, the generic) and I feel pretty guilty about it, although we don't sous vide more than once every few months.  +1 thanks for the details on recommendations!  Makes it easier to change.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2997 on: January 02, 2021, 02:32:13 PM »

I really need to do this.  We just keep buying ziploc freezer bags (well, the generic) and I feel pretty guilty about it, although we don't sous vide more than once every few months.  +1 thanks for the details on recommendations!  Makes it easier to change.

yeah same, we've been using gallon freezer bags but we should buy a few of these too.  The largest I see on Amazon by Stasher is half gallon, is that big enough generally?. I guess we could buy half gallon size, and still use the gallon freezer bags more sparingly when the food won't fit in the half gallon ones.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2998 on: January 06, 2021, 07:43:26 AM »
Last night I made Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches and tonight I am making a heart Healthy version of Beef Stroganoff.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2999 on: January 06, 2021, 09:10:20 PM »
Riboletta (more or less) with ciabatta rolls. er, the rolls were kept separate, rather than mixed into the soup, as would be traditional.