Author Topic: Continuing outrages related to our 45th President  (Read 125638 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Continuing outrages related to our 45th President
« Reply #1050 on: October 04, 2023, 10:17:56 AM »
Today he was reported to have visible fits in the courtroom loudly huffing and complaining to his lawyers. Then he went out to the cameras and complained about getting a bench trial. His lawyers were the ones who requested it in the first place.

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1709596173592408325?s=46&t=v7PWVHrTzVbR-BWQDCoDWQ

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1051 on: October 04, 2023, 10:37:39 AM »
I just don't think he can help himself. And he hasn't been held accountable for "bad" behavior before, rather rewarded with free media, attention, votes, etc. so he doesn't see how this might be different.

This is spot on. He literally can't stop himself from trash talking. Went into the courtroom today with more blustering, calling the AG a "political animal." He must have a very soft legal team that they aren't putting a muzzle on him. But who would even agree to give him legal representation at this point? He'll be throwing his lawyers under the bus next!

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: October 04, 2023, 10:52:21 AM »
He has thrown his lawyers under the bus already. They have a tough balancing act: need to represent him, but also follow his wishes to a degree both for professional reasons (he gets a say in how his case is presented) and to not join the league of lawyers he’s fired, up to the point it bucks against the lawyers professional responsibilities (e.g. candor to the court - can’t knowing let your client lie on the stand w/o taking any action, confidentiality, etc.).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1053 on: October 04, 2023, 07:53:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhy5Y8xVHS0&pp=ygULbGVnYWwgZWFnbGU%3D

Youtuber's opinion on Trump's lawyers over recent years.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1054 on: December 19, 2023, 09:48:37 AM »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1056 on: December 19, 2023, 10:31:39 AM »
Man, it's going to be crazy when this fascist beats Joe Biden next year.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4366896-senate-republicans-recoil-at-trump-poisoning-the-blood-of-our-country-remarks/

The part where Capito says they cannot be held responsible for Trump seems to neglect the NO votes they cast on impeachment on the senate.

Asked about Trump citing Putin to argue that the criminal charges against him show the “rottenness” of the American system, Capito said: “I can’t be accountable for what he says.”   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1057 on: December 19, 2023, 12:45:25 PM »
Man, it's going to be crazy when this fascist beats Joe Biden next year.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4366896-senate-republicans-recoil-at-trump-poisoning-the-blood-of-our-country-remarks/

Yep, even for nearby countries. Canada is a US national security threat, after all.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/the-american-right-sees-canada-as-an-enemy-should-we-be-worried/article_d4ffc98c-f767-5f89-9ba2-fcc00a0a5fb2.html

I thought the article was going to be about the trade sanctions Trump imposed when he was President, because we were a national security threat.  It's not that it could happen, it has already happened.

And how many of them agree with Tucker Carlson that we are a failed democracy and should be invaded to restore our democracy*?  The fact that we consistently score higher than the US on international democracy measures is totally irrelevant (to them).

Let's see, they occupied Montreal during the Revolution, they occupied part of Upper Canada during the war of 1812-14.  The Fenians wanted them to invade Canada in the early 1860s.  54/40 or fight was a slogan to take over large parts of Canadian territory.  So it would not be a new idea.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1058 on: December 19, 2023, 05:05:13 PM »
Huh, and just last night I was looking at immigration points for Canada, counting how many I had in case I needed it. Wasn't aware Canada is now the big bad country, whoops.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1059 on: December 19, 2023, 05:18:43 PM »
Huh, and just last night I was looking at immigration points for Canada, counting how many I had in case I needed it. Wasn't aware Canada is now the big bad country, whoops.

We are horrible mean rude people here.  Super selfish.  Tim's has horrible coffee.  And it's cold, winters go to -40 and summers go up to 40 if it is really hot.  You really don't want to come here.  Like how could any self-respecting American want to live in a country whose head of state is King Charles III?  And you would have to drive so fast, speed limits of100.

Of course if you can live with all those negatives, you are welcome to come.   ;-)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1060 on: December 19, 2023, 05:36:46 PM »
The Colorado Supreme Court just ruled that Trump is ineligible for the state's ballot, setting up an appeal to the US Supreme Court. I know there's a conservative majority but I think there are a lot of conservatives that are tired of the guy and if they could end the Trump era with 100% certainty they would take it. I can't help but wonder (hope?) that we could see a surprise decision from SCOTUS that rules him ineligible to run for president again. Can you imagine? I can't almost feel the heavy sigh of relief catching in my chest, waiting to be exhaled.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1061 on: December 19, 2023, 06:39:24 PM »
The Colorado Supreme Court just ruled that Trump is ineligible for the state's ballot, setting up an appeal to the US Supreme Court. I know there's a conservative majority but I think there are a lot of conservatives that are tired of the guy and if they could end the Trump era with 100% certainty they would take it. I can't help but wonder (hope?) that we could see a surprise decision from SCOTUS that rules him ineligible to run for president again. Can you imagine? I can't almost feel the heavy sigh of relief catching in my chest, waiting to be exhaled.

This will be interesting. My husband has a nephew who lives in CO. He used to be a pretty normal guy, but then he married a woman who has gone full anti-vax Q-Anon nutjob, and unfortunately he has allowed himself to be dragged along for the ride. I wonder if we’ll hear anything about this from them.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1062 on: December 19, 2023, 09:01:59 PM »

Be interesting to see what angle SCOTUS takes on this. Traditionally they stay clear of state-level election matters, but Trump will probably take this as a "due process" or "the 14th Amendment doesn't apply to Presidents" matter.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1063 on: December 19, 2023, 10:04:47 PM »

My thinking on how Trump ultimately loses his grip on the GOP is basically this: he gets beaten soundly in the next election, which all objective observers conclude as free and fair. His most die-hard supporters won’t waiver and will whine about the “rigged” system, but I expect the other ~50% of conservative voters will become so irate at them for having to endure another term with the Dems in the White House that they will finally turn on him. His ultimate legacy will then be as someone who lost the popular vote all three times and the EC decisively twice, and who’s sole signature policy “achievement” is cutting corporate taxes, despite controlling both houses during half his administration.

My fear with a closer election where one or a few states bar him from the ballot is that the legal system will become the scapegoat and deflect the blame for failure on the four-times-indicted former president.

Eventually Trump will die, and the GOP will either hold him up as a political martyr or discarded as a political failure. If it’s the former I worry we will suffer through decades more of this “Trumpian” style of politics.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1064 on: December 20, 2023, 05:44:58 AM »
That assumes Trump loses.  I would rather not take that risk, since he really should not even be on the ballot.  If you don't get disqualified over this, I think we're just throwing up our hands and saying that it's ok to lead insurrections.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1065 on: December 20, 2023, 06:56:30 AM »
That assumes Trump loses.  I would rather not take that risk, since he really should not even be on the ballot.  If you don't get disqualified over this, I think we're just throwing up our hands and saying that it's ok to lead insurrections.

It doesn't assume this at all - there is the very real risk that Trump does not lose, particularly with Biden's poor overall support.  My premise remains - the only way Trump will lose his grip on the GOP is to lose (again, and 'Bigly') in third free and fair election. If he wins his hold will strengthen.  If he's blocked by [probably legitimate] court decisions his loss can too easily be chalked up to a technicality, and it will deepen the distrust of our election process that Trump himself worked so tirelessly to undermine starting in 2016.

No doubt there's a huge risk to a head-to-head election (Trump might win).  But it's the only path where I see Trump and Trump-imitators lose their oversized importance in modern politics. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1066 on: December 20, 2023, 09:49:47 AM »

I don't believe that there are many conservatives left in the US willing to speak out against Trump.  The backlash from conservative voters is swift and vicious for stepping out of line, and support among conservatives for Trump is in the mid 70% and ticking up.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1067 on: December 20, 2023, 10:13:57 AM »

I wouldn't hold you breath, Trump still has support from Chris Christie on this. 

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/chris-christie-trump-foe-rebukes-132813203.html

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1068 on: December 20, 2023, 12:15:57 PM »

We are horrible mean rude people here.  Super selfish.  Tim's has horrible coffee.  And it's cold, winters go to -40 and summers go up to 40 if it is really hot.  You really don't want to come here.  Like how could any self-respecting American want to live in a country whose head of state is King Charles III?  And you would have to drive so fast, speed limits of100.

Of course if you can live with all those negatives, you are welcome to come.   ;-)

I live north already (and lived in Alaska at one point), so not that big of a climate change. Direct people are my tribe. :) I don’t drink coffee. Now the head of state but does give pause, but I like to know my options as we turn into the handmaidens tale over here.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1069 on: December 20, 2023, 12:50:16 PM »

My thinking on how Trump ultimately loses his grip on the GOP is basically this: he gets beaten soundly in the next election
<snip>

Trump is going to win bigly this time. People, and especially Americans, hate being told they can't do something. They're going to vote for Trump.

Someone will need to update this thread in a year and a bit to "... our 45th and 47th President".

Hopefully he actually relinquishes power after his next four years.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1070 on: December 20, 2023, 02:06:10 PM »

My thinking on how Trump ultimately loses his grip on the GOP is basically this: he gets beaten soundly in the next election
<snip>

Trump is going to win bigly this time. People, and especially Americans, hate being told they can't do something. They're going to vote for Trump.

Someone will need to update this thread in a year and a bit to "... our 45th and 47th President".

Trump is definitely going to win, and will not relinquish power next time.  That was the whole point of the insurrection dry run and stacking pro-Trump Republicans into the positions of friction that were discovered.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1071 on: December 20, 2023, 02:10:31 PM »

<snip>

Trump is definitely going to win, and will not relinquish power next time.  That was the whole point of the insurrection dry run and stacking pro-Trump Republicans into the positions of friction that were discovered.

IIRC this was your firm conviction just over 3 years ago as well.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1072 on: December 20, 2023, 03:31:17 PM »

<snip>

Trump has only grown more powerful and had more time to undermine democratic institutions in the US.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1073 on: December 20, 2023, 03:52:37 PM »

<snip>

Trump has only grown more powerful and had more time to undermine democratic institutions in the US.
How so?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1074 on: December 21, 2023, 08:18:06 AM »

<snip>

How so?

He fully controls every aspect of the Republican party now. They really should be renamed 'The Trumpian Party'.  He knows that the Republican party will back his future attempts to prevent peaceful transfer of power.  He knows that any charges or indictments only help him at this point - because they feed into his deep state narrative.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1075 on: December 21, 2023, 09:07:53 AM »

<snip>

How so?

He fully controls every aspect of the Republican party now. They really should be renamed 'The Trumpian Party'.  He knows that the Republican party will back his future attempts to prevent peaceful transfer of power.  He knows that any charges or indictments only help him at this point - because they feed into his deep state narrative.

He may still hold an iron grip on the GOP, but I fail to see how he's "most powerful" now than he was in 2020.  Back then he actually was President with the full force of the executive branch behind him, and he wasn't defending against four indictments, and a number of his direct advisors hadn't been found guilty of a laundry list of crime, several of which he's currently a co-defendant on. Over the last couple of years scores of his former allies have been charged with various crimes all relating to the "peaceful transfer of power", many of them at the State level (and therefore unpardonable by POTUS).  So I don't agree that the GOP will be more willing to prevent the peaceful transfer of power this time.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1076 on: December 21, 2023, 09:58:40 AM »
Page 7 of this poll really displays Trump's iron grip and the GOP's authoritarian slide.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24209829-trumpquoteip-methodology?responsive=1&title=1?embed=true&responsive=false&sidebar=false

65% of Iowa Republicans are more likely to support him or don't care that Trump stated,

“The radical left thugs that live like vermin” in the U.S. need to be rooted out

42% are more likely to support Trump due to his late 1930s throwback phrases,

Immigrants who enter the U.S. illegally are “poisoning the blood” of America

However, Republicans and Democrats vote in roughly equal numbers. Even the most Qanon blitzed Trump supporter gets 1 vote. Unless they storm a capitol again, it's independents that will determine this election.

(The Leopards Eating People's Faces GOP party in Michigan, one of the battleground states, is a complete shitshow from infighting.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1077 on: December 21, 2023, 10:03:21 AM »
Page 7 of this poll really displays Trump's iron grip and the GOP's authoritarian slide.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24209829-trumpquoteip-methodology?responsive=1&title=1?embed=true&responsive=false&sidebar=false

65% of Iowa Republicans are more likely to support him or don't care that Trump stated,

“The radical left thugs that live like vermin” in the U.S. need to be rooted out

However, Republicans and Democrats vote in roughly equal numbers. Even the most Qanon blitzed Trump supporter gets 1 vote. Unless they storm a capitol again, it's independents that will determine this election.

(The Leopards Eating People's Faces GOP party in Michigan, one of the battleground states, is a complete shitshow from infighting.)

Crazy how few Republicans have a problem with Trump saying that he'll have no choice but to lock up his political opponents.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1078 on: December 21, 2023, 10:07:08 AM »

Crazy how few Republicans have a problem with Trump saying that he'll have no choice but to lock up his political opponents.

No problem with it? Those "patriots" LOVE it! Feature, not bug.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1079 on: December 21, 2023, 10:39:27 AM »

I'd guess that Georgia's Raffensperger is counted as a "radical left thug." He's definitely heading to the gulag if Trump wins.

The Atlantic has a piece about evangelicals and their support of Trump. The author is a Christian and son of an evangelical pastor.

Quote from: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2024/01/evangelical-christian-nationalism-trump/676150/
One Sunday in early 2010, when I was home visiting, he [my father] showed the congregation an ominous video in which Christian leaders warned about the menace of Obamacare. I told him afterward that it felt inappropriate for a worship service; he disagreed.

I'd love to know how the ACA became such a concern among that part of the GOP. Because a black President spearheaded it? Just part of the cultural wars (if you're for it, we're against it)? Evangelicals really, really, support massive profits for large health insurers?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1080 on: December 21, 2023, 11:32:24 AM »

Actually, that was a surprise for me.  Only one in five Republicans love it (although a huge number say they don't care).  That actually seemed like good news to me.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1081 on: December 21, 2023, 11:37:13 AM »

Actually, that was a surprise for me.  Only one in five Republicans love it (although a huge number say they don't care).  That actually seemed like good news to me.

Two in five, or 43%.

Nm, different poll question.

62% are perfectly ok with it. That's about...19% of the US adult population?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 11:39:57 AM by bacchi »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1082 on: December 21, 2023, 12:08:54 PM »
The Atlantic has a piece about evangelicals and their support of Trump. The author is a Christian and son of an evangelical pastor.

Quote from: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2024/01/evangelical-christian-nationalism-trump/676150/
One Sunday in early 2010, when I was home visiting, he [my father] showed the congregation an ominous video in which Christian leaders warned about the menace of Obamacare. I told him afterward that it felt inappropriate for a worship service; he disagreed.

I'd love to know how the ACA became such a concern among that part of the GOP. Because a black President spearheaded it? Just part of the cultural wars (if you're for it, we're against it)? Evangelicals really, really, support massive profits for large health insurers?

I'm reading Timothy Eagan's  "A Fever in the Heartland: The Ku Klux Klan's Plot to Take Over America, and the Woman Who Stopped Them" (not light reading). One of the things the KKK boosters did to increase membership was to pay off preachers to talk about the KKK during services. The return on investment was quite good. If you can marry terrible/reprehensible ideas with righteousness, people will sign right up. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 12:11:26 PM by Glenstache »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1083 on: December 21, 2023, 12:58:31 PM »
A day after the judge ordered Giuliani to pay his$148MM  'immediately' to two Georgia election workers who successfully sued him for defamation, Mr Giuliani filled for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Among the remarkable disclosures - Giuliani has almost $500 million in debt and declared just $10MM in assets

That's one hell of a debt-to-asset ratio (50:1).  Even worse is most of that debt is due right now.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1084 on: December 21, 2023, 02:27:10 PM »
A day after the judge ordered Giuliani to pay his$148MM  'immediately' to two Georgia election workers who successfully sued him for defamation, Mr Giuliani filled for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Among the remarkable disclosures - Giuliani has almost $500 million in debt and declared just $10MM in assets

That's one hell of a debt-to-asset ratio (50:1).  Even worse is most of that debt is due right now.

This quote comes to mind:

If you owe the bank $100 that's your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem.
-J. Paul Getty

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1085 on: December 24, 2023, 12:11:26 PM »
Somewhere between 25 and 30% of any population are apparently always ready to throw on some brownshirts and join the latest manifestation of fascism.  It is the continuing work of society to keep those fuckers on the fringes.

Every once in awhile they manage to thread the needle and become a threat.  And here we are.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1086 on: December 24, 2023, 01:08:50 PM »
Somewhere between 25 and 30% of any population are apparently always ready to throw on some brownshirts and join the latest manifestation of fascism.
Source?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1087 on: December 24, 2023, 02:18:38 PM »
Somewhere between 25 and 30% of any population are apparently always ready to throw on some brownshirts and join the latest manifestation of fascism.
Source?

The Iowa poll of Republican primary voters. Or the polls over the years showing ~25% of US adults think that Nixon did nothing wrong.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1088 on: December 25, 2023, 10:46:24 AM »

I had the impression that some conservatives see the ACA as an extension of the welfare state. Can't have welfare queens or immigrants soaking up benefits. Or - free healthcare might attract more immigrants?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1089 on: December 25, 2023, 10:50:27 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he has a bunch sheltered off shore. It would be on brand.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #1090 on: December 25, 2023, 11:02:06 AM »

I had the impression that some conservatives see the ACA as an extension of the welfare state. Can't have welfare queens or immigrants soaking up benefits. Or - free healthcare might attract more immigrants?

I think the larger issue was loss of ability to privatize the medical industry. Everyone being forced to insurance, meant a loss for cash-only / specific subscription plans. Obamacare has more or less closed off that option for most medical providers.

Conservatives basically gave up after the Obamacare tax penalty dropped to 0 and more or less resolved the largest negative aspect of the bill. Their leverage over it basically vanished.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1091 on: December 26, 2023, 04:04:39 AM »
Source?

That is actually a number that fits with research in multiple countries. And once you have those 25% open on the streets, 80% of the rest just ducks and do whatever those want because of the else.

Holy Holy! You need to be really rich to be that much in debt! No one would lend me even one million!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1092 on: December 26, 2023, 03:17:25 PM »

Holy Holy! You need to be really rich to be that much in debt! No one would lend me even one million!

I think some of those loans to Giuliani might have been "buying influence", so to speak. His post judgement presser does make a convincing case for malicious intent and thus that the judgement is non-dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1093 on: December 26, 2023, 09:25:57 PM »
You mean the creditor won't collect unless he loses his influence and thereby becomes useless to the political donors? ;)

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #1094 on: December 27, 2023, 06:50:45 AM »
No one is going to be anywhere close to actually collecting on Rudy. Even if the man is hiding assets of 100MM or his estate is able to recover unpaid legal fees, people will only be getting .20c on the dollar of their judgments at best. (I think they'll be lucky to get 1%) The man does not look well either and is almost 80. I don't think he has too many years left in him to make money even if he does hawk pills like Alex Jones now.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1095 on: December 27, 2023, 09:14:03 AM »
No one is going to be anywhere close to actually collecting on Rudy. Even if the man is hiding assets of 100MM or his estate is able to recover unpaid legal fees, people will only be getting .20c on the dollar of their judgments at best. (I think they'll be lucky to get 1%) The man does not look well either and is almost 80. I don't think he has too many years left in him to make money even if he does hawk pills like Alex Jones now.
I wouldn't be disappointed if he had to sell a kidney to make ends meet after how he has treated Ruby Freeman, her daughter, and our democracy. I would prefer to see him live long enough to be convicted and imprisoned for his actions evern more, though.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1096 on: December 27, 2023, 10:28:41 AM »
I wouldn't be disappointed if he had to sell a kidney to make ends meet after how he has treated Ruby Freeman, her daughter, and our democracy. I would prefer to see him live long enough to be convicted and imprisoned for his actions evern more, though.
Thanks for the mention, learned something new today.  What an asshat!

Here is an article for those that don't know about Ruby Freeman:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/rudy-giuliani-sued-ruby-freeman-shaye-moss-defamation-rcna130329

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1097 on: December 27, 2023, 11:36:08 AM »
Thanks for the mention, learned something new today.  What an asshat!

Here is an article for those that don't know about Ruby Freeman:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/rudy-giuliani-sued-ruby-freeman-shaye-moss-defamation-rcna130329

The alt-right forums are still going on about how these 2 women orchestrated Trump's loss in Georgia. I'm sure there's nothing racial about their vitriol.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1098 on: December 27, 2023, 01:53:04 PM »
The suit against Guiliani by Dominion Voting Machines is still ongoing, as far as I could find on Google

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N39S1UF/

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1099 on: December 29, 2023, 07:56:47 AM »
The other weird thing I remember about Giuliani is that, while he was governor of New York, he moved his mistress into the Governor's mansion while his wife and kids were still living there.   
Even to jaded East Coast urbanites that's pretty gross.  Shows the level of narcissism that was there even decades ago. 

And it's another example that shows these guys weren't told No in their lives - how different our politics would be if both Trump and Giuliani would have had mature, responsible adults in their lives who would metaphorically slap them and tell them to get their head out of their ass.