Author Topic: The Cost Saving Conundrum  (Read 5462 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
The Cost Saving Conundrum
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:08:17 PM »
I don't have much time to present this case, but I'm sure there are plenty of better examples than this one.  So, on my journey to FI, when I come across things like 'Member's Mark' batteries at Sam's Club, I buy them.  My kids will need them over the course of the year and I like to have them in bulk, and of course I just want to buy them as cheaply as possible.  However, I'm not going to do some long term research to understand if the lower cost, although these are an environmental disaster consumer product, so I hope these actually have a favorable cost-benefit (same longevity for the environmental price, and thus the lower cost is not a problem).  I'm out, I buy them because they will work and have a somewhat recognizable brand, and they can't be 'that much worse', right?

So my question is, do people do an in-depth analysis before buying the 'less expensive' alternative, and if you do, what are some of the best products you have bought for the price (even if it's not the lowest cost)? 

Thanks, in advance!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The Cost Saving Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »
The largest thread along these lines is http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/buy-it-for-life!/.

There are a few specific threads one can find by using the words  buy for life  and limiting the search to topic subjects only.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »
Thanks, also went to the Reddit thread.  But I didn't see anything on batteries...  Most comments are on durable products, but what about disposable?  What do Mustachians typically do before buying things like toilet paper, soap, etc.  all the stuff you just need but don't want to think too hard about?

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »
... So my question is, do people do an in-depth analysis before buying the 'less expensive' alternative, and if you do, what are some of the best products you have bought for the price (even if it's not the lowest cost)? 

In my view, an "in depth analysis" would only be worth the time to do it for a major purchase such as a vehicle, a roof, maybe even an appliance that's going to cost a few hundred dollars.  Otherwise, to me there's not going to be enough money involved to justify doing that kind of research.

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:35 AM »
... So my question is, do people do an in-depth analysis before buying the 'less expensive' alternative, and if you do, what are some of the best products you have bought for the price (even if it's not the lowest cost)? 

In my view, an "in depth analysis" would only be worth the time to do it for a major purchase such as a vehicle, a roof, maybe even an appliance that's going to cost a few hundred dollars.  Otherwise, to me there's not going to be enough money involved to justify doing that kind of research.

^^ I agree with that sentiment. Unless you are strapped for cash or operate entirely sans budget, there is a cost benefit analysis that you should run almost automatically when you need to decide ... whether or not to run (a serious) cost benefit analysis. ;)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
It's the $10 principle.  Analyze once (ahead of time), act on the results from then on unless conditions change.

For batteries, I did the analysis, bought chargers, and buy rechargeable batteries.  There are a few uses where regular (as long life as possible) batteries are better, and those need to be identified and best quality batteries purchased.  Otherwise - re-charge!

I think this can be applied in many areas - what is the least expensive brand(s) of something whose quality is acceptable.  Works for TP, paper towels, processed food (name brand versus various store brands), generic over-the-counter meds, and so on.  Then when you are close to needing it, you have already done the homework of what to watch for.

Same for other items - I know when rotisserie chickens go on sale, I can buy for less that I can cook, and I buy one.

Yes of course we will research the big things, but saving $5/week here and $15/month there will add up.  And you are on autopilot, it is easy.

See the blog:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/01/a-millionaire-is-made-ten-bucks-at-a-time/

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:24:37 AM »
I just kind of figure it out over time. I know that Ivory soap is pretty cheap, widely available in 10-packs, the bars last for quite awhile, and it has worked for me for a long time. I also know what a good price per ounce is. It's what I go with. Same with my very cheap shampoo. There are certainly cheaper products (like a store-brand cheese cracker) I've tried once and decided it wasn't worth buying again.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »
Specifically on the topic of batteries, I think this is interesting.

I never did in-depth analysis for batteries, I just have the general feeling that "unbranded" batteries really don't last long.
At some point I was getting re-chargeable ones, but ultimately I couldn't bother, and it felt like they has less "power" that their non-rechargeable counterparts. Lots of "gut feeling" in there, so I'd love to see if someone made an in-depth analysis.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »
Specifically on the topic of batteries, I think this is interesting.

I never did in-depth analysis for batteries, I just have the general feeling that "unbranded" batteries really don't last long.
At some point I was getting re-chargeable ones, but ultimately I couldn't bother, and it felt like they has less "power" that their non-rechargeable counterparts. Lots of "gut feeling" in there, so I'd love to see if someone made an in-depth analysis.

I did a project in MS/HS on battery life.  Energizer/Duracell lasted WAY longer than the generic brands.  Those two are all I buy now if I'm not using rechargeable.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 05:13:08 PM »
Rechargeables discharge in a different pattern than regular batteries - I saw a graph once upon a time.  That is why I don't use them in smoke detectors and thermostat back-ups.  Every thing else - yes.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 05:22:23 PM »
Rechargeables discharge in a different pattern than regular batteries - I saw a graph once upon a time.  That is why I don't use them in smoke detectors and thermostat back-ups.  Every thing else - yes.

They also don't seem to be able to 'sit' well, so I won't use them in idle items like flashlights.

But for items that cycle through batteries regularly (like my electric gloves I used for daily motorcycle commuting in the winter) rechargeable all the way.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
Eneloop.  Best batteries I've found.  (you do pay for it though)

TheFrugalFox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 01:07:37 AM »
Oddly enough, I've been doing the battery thing for a couple of days. We seem to go through them at a fair wack - mainly AA size. So decided to get rechargeable - the stores wanted crazy prices - around $22 for 4. Found some online for $2.60 for 4, so bought 3 packs (they only had 3, would have bought 5 if the had) and 2 AAA packs. But basically they cost even less than "big brand, non-rechargeable" - so even if they last half as long and I get 5 charges, they would be worth it.

I also found out that, on the whole, batteries should not be stored in the fridge.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »
Eneloop.  Best batteries I've found.  (you do pay for it though)
Got mine at Costco. I think they're seasonal, as they don't always have them.