Author Topic: Software engineering/IT Security - How to get out of the corporate world ?  (Read 2305 times)

Morpheus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm a software engineer, and most of my experience and interest is around the security domain. Even with my current high savings rate I don't see how my wealth is going to change dramatically if I'll just keep working "for a company". Reading some financial material made me understand that living from paycheck to paycheck is not a way to build significant wealth, Working "for a company" is less fun for me too, I rather put my time and effort into developing my own business and get the added bonus of making my own schedule (which is very important for me).
So I'm looking for a way out of the corporate world, even if it's going to be hard in the beginning.

My ideal goal would be to provide security consulting services - pen testing, vulnerability assessments, code reviews, incident and breach response, etc. Start by doing that as a side business and see how I can expand from there.
I'm also open to working on projects as a freelance software developer as a side gig, although I don't see how I can expand that in the future (unless I'm working on my own idea that succeeds)

I'm stuck in the 'how do I begin' phase.
Did anyone here made a similar transition? Anyone here in the software/security industry and managed to have a side gig while employed in a company? If so , How do you find clients? Any tips on how to start?

Thanks and happy holidays!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:32:00 AM by Morpheus »

Txtriathlete

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Software engineering/IT Security - How to get out of the corporate world ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 10:55:10 AM »
I have started 5 or 6 businesses over the last 30 years. Some thoughts:

Being an entrepreneur is the hardest job you will ever have. Be ready to work - a lot. Like 60-80 hour weeks for several years. No vay-cay until you are FI (again). Don't forget about taxes!!! And other administrivia of operating a business - like your website design, bookkeeping, proposal development, etc.

You need a good cushion of cash to get started - the FU fund. You are going to be broke for a while. Most businesses don't break even for three years.

See if you can partner with larger firms as a sub. This is a good way to get your foot in the door and make contacts. If you are veteran, disabled, female, minority, etc. (in the US) it is a marketing strategy to the larger firm that helps them get business.

Be good at sales and relationships. You will be selling more than you will be IT-ing. A resume gets you in the door, but the relationship gets the job. They hire you because they trust you.

Network your a$$ off. Join all the professional organizations you can and attend all the meetings you can. Be active in local ones if you are in a major metro area. Write articles and get a friend to post them on LinkedIn and other forums. Become an SME in your field.

If this is overwhelming you can always get a business coach, they usually start around $150 an hour or so. 4 hours a month is plenty.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 07:37:54 PM »
I've been back and forth a few times between contract and W2 in the security biz, although mostly network/access control with some breach cleanup and assessments. I also have some friends that do different versions:

Fulltime business owner with long term/big contracts
Part timer who splits time between mid length contracts and epic travel
W2 employer that works for a consulting company and is hired out short term (I did this one as well for several years)

I do have some input, and here it is:

You need to decide whether you really want to do it fulltime and hope to make more than you do as W2. Because as txtridude above mentions owning your own biz is way past a fulltime gig. My buddy above who has his own biz works..... A LOT. Like all the time. He does make a lot of money but all told it similar to what he would make hourly if employers let you work 80 hours a week. :D

This brings up other strategies, like working an 'easy' fulltime gig and running a lucrative side gig the rest of the time. You get to keep some of the stability of the W2 gig and get to add some nice chunk of change from the other work. But you're still working a lot.

My friend above who does the mid term gigs and travels in between is located in a low cost of living area and flies out for work. Because he's on the road so much (70% +/-  ) a lot of his food is free, his utilities back home are low and so on. He also racks up a buttload of airline, hotel and rental car points so even his travel hobby is relatively cheap.

So.... Once you've decided on what style you want to do the main thing is how to land gigs. For me it helped to just make a *LOT* of contacts. I did this professionally both when I was a trainer (lots of people cycle through classes) and when I was a travelling W2 consultant (met new people every contract). I would never poach, that's unethical and probably violates a non-compete. But the more people who know you and the quality of your work the better. These folks know people and WILL pass your info around when somebody needs your skillset. You can also do webinars showing the basics and direct people to your site at the end, you can do presos at local security or IT group meetings (better know your shit. :D  ) so basically network and get yourself out there.

It doesn't hurt to use recruiters as well. Just let them know you're absolutely not into W2 work but will consider short to mid term contracts. Doing these as they come up is another great way to build up clients and generate work. The contracts themselves might be direct to a company, but might also be a sub through a larger consulting company. This second is the best, if you do good work these companies are going to pull you in whenever they need help, assuming you do a good job. Granted they'll probably try to W2 you eventually but it's fine to say no. :D

In terms of the transition itself, again txtri is wise. Having a big pad of $$ is huge. You might not need it if you go directly from your w2 to a mid term contract, but then again maybe they decide they don't need you 2 weeks in, always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

That's what comes to mind off the top of my head, I'm sure others can help fill in more.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:40:24 PM by big_slacker »

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »
I was in the same boat until I got a job I could do from home. All of a sudden I got to keep getting paid all the money while not needing to go into the office and deal with a commute. It basically made work WAY more fun as I got to feel that I was just at home working on cool problems instead of _at work_. Might be worth looking into if you just want a change of scenery or need to be an owner.

Txtriathlete

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »
I was in the same boat until I got a job I could do from home. All of a sudden I got to keep getting paid all the money while not needing to go into the office and deal with a commute. It basically made work WAY more fun as I got to feel that I was just at home working on cool problems instead of _at work_. Might be worth looking into if you just want a change of scenery or need to be an owner.

This is what I do now, consulting from home. Its a sweet gig with a bit of travel (not too much) that pays well. My only two issues (personally) are that I tend to get distracted and sucked into home life and away from work stuff (discipline dammit!) and I have a hard time staying connected to the "battle rhythm" of the office - that stuff that develops from someone having a question and getting up (or shouting over cubicle walls) to ask a question of a coworker. We have weekly sync calls and a couple times a month there will be one or two new items that pop up that I am oblivious to but that have already been discussed in detail in "the office".  Otherwise I love working from home, especially with the occasional trip thrown in.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:30:33 AM »

This is what I do now, consulting from home. Its a sweet gig with a bit of travel (not too much) that pays well. My only two issues (personally) are that I tend to get distracted and sucked into home life and away from work stuff (discipline dammit!) and I have a hard time staying connected to the "battle rhythm" of the office - that stuff that develops from someone having a question and getting up (or shouting over cubicle walls) to ask a question of a coworker. We have weekly sync calls and a couple times a month there will be one or two new items that pop up that I am oblivious to but that have already been discussed in detail in "the office".  Otherwise I love working from home, especially with the occasional trip thrown in.

That's funny, my previous job I was WFH or travel all the time, maybe in the office once or twice a month. I was massively more productive even with family stuff and internet distractions because I tend to get up early and bang out work then coast or just go outside and play later in the day. I didn't work directly with a team on projects though. We had sales guys and I'd go in mostly for social visits and team meetings just to see what everyone was working on.