Author Topic: Frugal fatigue  (Read 54220 times)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Re: Frugal fatigue
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »

And, a somewhat related observation--isn't it so interesting that when a family gets their electricity turned off for lack of payment, or gets their car repossessed, it is this *major* low point in life, barely tolerable and certainly extreme deprivation.  And a couple hundred miles away, there are Amish families that never had their houses wired for electricity in the first place, and have never driven a car a day in their lives.  And you don't see the Amish running around talking about their frugal fatigue! 

Good point.

I live near a large group of Mennonites (an off shoot of the Amish).  They are funny/cool ---  They wear the church garb and all dress alike.   But the funny part is that most of them drive very fancy newer black pick ups.   They are on the cell phone constantly to the point they bought their own cell phone tower.   (no TVs allowed though) At the local grocery their carts are pack full of Ho, Hos, and loads of junk food while they stand in the electronics section catching up on TV.

On the bright side,  they finish school at 8th grade,  a school that is completely non tax payer funded by the way.   Many of the youth save their money from age 14 through their early twenties to the point they can pay cash for a farm.  They farm and have jobs.

They do not believe in insurance.  So their homes and businesses are uninsured.   When someone needs to have a major hospital thing done and the bill is $40,000.   The church elder shows up at the hospital and negotiates the bill to 20K.   He then pulls out 200 Benjamins and pays the bill.

Pretty cool IMO. 

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »
I read in another thread where a guy avoids birthday parties and events that aren't free. I thought that was ridiculous personally.

The only time frugality burdens me are when I am so tired and busy that eating out makes more sense. This happens maybe once every 2 weeks, and is also a diet thing

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
Thank you for all the insightful comments on this thread. Currently in a hair on fire emergency :-/
Have experienced frugal fatigue in the past and have gleaned some excellent information here on how to prevent it in the future.

(Edited for typo)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:21:00 PM by 1967mama »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!