Author Topic: Justifying tattoos post MMM  (Read 36618 times)

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
Re: Justifying tattoos post MMM
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2016, 09:28:13 AM »
I find that I am judgemental against some people with prominent eye catching tattoos, I assume they are trendy people who are strongly motivated to portray an image. Add the cost and its not appealing.

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »
The comments on this thread are moderately amusing, despite people not even trying to be funny. Impressive.

On the prospect of tattoos having an impact on getting a job:  I waited to get a real career before I got anything tattooed below a t-shirt line on my arms. After that, I decided that because I had a real job, it would be safe to get two full sleeves down to my wrists. Realistically one could get tattooed down to their wrists without it being much of an issue and wear a long sleeved shirt to work or a job interview. I always tell my younger family members to keep this in mind when thinking about getting a tattoo. For men, the ability to cover up a tattoo for a career generally cancels out hands and neck. For women wearing a dress or something to work it may cancel out arms and lower legs as well.

The point being that tons of tattoos can be covered up without anyone even knowing. Can people get judged for having tattoos? Sure. But everyone gets judged for something.

Make sure to post a photo of your tattoo! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2016, 11:30:43 AM »
Still can't claim confirmation bias without offering new evidence. In my opinion most tattoos are terrible, come to think of it not sure how you can claim confirmation bias regarding a positio on body art at all. It's not about being a prude
It's about not liking bad tattoos which most of the pixies, flowers, angel wing, tribal tats on the lower back and on the bicep or shoulder really are.

OK, you've been somewhat less categorically judgmental than the "only knuckle-draggers who never went to school and will never have a real job" folks, so I will actually bother my to expand my point. I was initially lumping you in with those guys at because your earlier posts seemed in line with them. Apologies for misinterpreting.

What I meant regarding confirmation bias is that people who dislike tattoos tend to have pre-formed opinions about them which lead them to disproportionately notice tattooed people that (they think) confirm those opinions. Pre-judging someone like me is an expansion of this bias. This especially applies to the "all tattoos are trashy no matter what" folks, but also to those are OK with the idea of tattoos but think most are ugly, such as yourself. That said, I totally agree all of the examples you gave are not particularly attractive (at least in my opinion), but a) I still don't judge people who get those. If it makes them happy, more power to them. And b) You have zero evidence that I am following that path. You're just assuming I must be and then demanding that I prove otherwise. That is you pre-judging me based on pre-conceived opinions of people who get tattoos. I see no reason to "prove" I'm different since I don't care if anyone but my wife likes my tat (and I'm still favoring my opinion over hers. Just giving her some veto power). Plus, there is no evidence that you have remotely good taste, so why would I value your opinion anyway?

Like Jaguar Paw, I bet more people than you think out there have very nice ink, but just don't bother to show it off all the time because like with me, the tattoos are for them first and foremost.

The comments on this thread are moderately amusing, despite people not even trying to be funny. Impressive.

On the prospect of tattoos having an impact on getting a job:  I waited to get a real career before I got anything tattooed below a t-shirt line on my arms. After that, I decided that because I had a real job, it would be safe to get two full sleeves down to my wrists. Realistically one could get tattooed down to their wrists without it being much of an issue and wear a long sleeved shirt to work or a job interview. I always tell my younger family members to keep this in mind when thinking about getting a tattoo. For men, the ability to cover up a tattoo for a career generally cancels out hands and neck. For women wearing a dress or something to work it may cancel out arms and lower legs as well.

The point being that tons of tattoos can be covered up without anyone even knowing. Can people get judged for having tattoos? Sure. But everyone gets judged for something.

Make sure to post a photo of your tattoo! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the perspective! I'm with you that waiting until your career is established is probably a good idea, but as you say, it's pretty easy to cover up to the point that no one ever knows. I suppose I could post a pic after my session if people are curious. I'm not even planning to post on Facebook, but I really must know whether human thinks I've made a terrible mistake ;)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2016, 11:39:13 AM »
I find that I am judgemental against some people with prominent eye catching tattoos, I assume they are trendy people who are strongly motivated to portray an image. Add the cost and its not appealing.

See, this is an opinion I can actually respect, if not agree with. You are upfront about your bias and self-aware that you are making assumptions. That's fair enough.

Still, any time you decide to buy a particular type of clothing, or style your hair in a particular way, you are doing so in part because you want to portray a certain image. Mustachian folks are maybe less likely than others to take this too far, but then that's why perhaps you should give those of us who like tattoos the benefit of the doubt. As I said in my own case, I'm not even going to post about mine on Facebook, or go out of my way to tell anyone. My close friends and family will certainly figure it out sooner or later, but I feel no need to broadcast my decision to expedite the process.

The value I (and many others I know) find in getting tattooed is 100% internal. Caring too much about what others think (i.e. wanting to "project an image)" is the true recipe for tattoo regret, imo.

forestj

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
I got a hand tat as an insurance policy against working in a shitty job that doesn't allow tattoos :)

I paid $0 for it since it was done by hand with a sewing needle and india ink.

I don't think that tattoos are necessarily trashy, although they definitely can be. Most of the people that I know who have tattoos do it because they like the design and they like the idea of wearing designs on their body. That's not really what motivated me to get a tattoo, but I can understand it.

But I agree that by getting a tattoo, you signal something about yourself.  I placed my only tattoo on my hand, rather than somewhere I can hide, because I want to be honest and I don't like having to filter myself to appeal to other people. There are lots of similar things I do, like what I wear, how I act, etc. A lot of it is posturing. For example, I want to set the expectation that I am not going to be the obedient sit down and shut up kind of person at my job. Some jobs want that, and some don't, and I want to work at a job where I am expected to challenge things and bring my own ideas and solutions.  So far it has worked out pretty well for me. Usually people think I am kind of weird.. But most of that is because of other things: I eat healthy, cook my own food, despise opulence/rich people, and refer to my partner as my "partner" rather than "girlfriend".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:59:12 AM by forestj »

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2016, 11:56:25 AM »
I got a hand tat as an insurance policy against working in a shitty job that doesn't allow tattoos :)

I paid $0 for it since it was done by hand with a sewing needle and india ink.

I don't think that tattoos are necessarily trashy, although they definitely can be. Most of the people that I know who have tattoos do it because they like the design and they like the idea of wearing designs on their body.

But I agree that by getting a tattoo, you signal something about yourself.  I placed my only tattoo on my hand, rather than somewhere I can hide, because I want to be honest and I don't like having to filter myself to appeal to other people. There are lots of similar things I do, like what I wear, how I act, etc. A lot of it is posturing. For example, I want to set the expectation that I am not going to be the obedient sit down and shut up kind of person at my job. Some jobs want that, and some don't, and I want to work at a job where I am expected to challenge things and bring my own ideas and solutions.  So far it has worked out pretty well for me. Usually people think I am kind of weird.. But most of that is because of other things: I eat healthy, cook my own food, don't spend money, and refer to my partner as my "partner" rather than "girlfriend".

That's awesome. It took me over 30 years to internalize that sort of "you do you" kind of attitude, which I've now realized is the only way to fly. I'm curious to hear the broader story of how you got that tattoo. Was it a friend or family member who gave it to you? Did you do it yourself?

forestj

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2016, 12:49:14 PM »
Partner did it -- I got pretty drunk for it cause it hurt a lot. It took 3 sessions to finish I think. I used to draw that arrow on my hand with marker to calm myself down when I was nervous, originally it was based off this guy's work.

I posted here because I saw there was a big fight about tattoos, but I didn't agree with either side. On one hand, besides the comment about tattoos being viewed very differently in other cultures,  I can't really agree with the "most tattoos are bad, you will change your mind later, think about your career, and think about how people will perceive you" posts.  But also, I don't think you can claim that getting a tattoo is "100% personal", and I don't think that "trying to project an image" by getting a tattoo is necessarily a bad thing. It's pretty much impossible to completely avoid cultural signalling. Even just wearing a clean simple shirt will signal something about you. Is it a white button down? A polo? A T-shirt? A flannel? All of those things will ingratiate you with some, and stir up prejudices among others. A tattoo is no different.

Personally, I would never get a tattoo which is the "shirt equivalent" of a tuxedo or a nerd reference graphic tee, because I want to be able to look "presentable" to lots of different kinds of people and I don't really identify so strongly with any specific subculture that I would want to wear that subculture's flag for the rest of my life.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2016, 01:12:42 PM »
Partner did it -- I got pretty drunk for it cause it hurt a lot. It took 3 sessions to finish I think. I used to draw that arrow on my hand with marker to calm myself down when I was nervous, originally it was based off this guy's work.

I posted here because I saw there was a big fight about tattoos, but I didn't agree with either side. On one hand, besides the comment about tattoos being viewed very differently in other cultures,  I can't really agree with the "most tattoos are bad, you will change your mind later, think about your career, and think about how people will perceive you" posts.  But also, I don't think you can claim that getting a tattoo is "100% personal", and I don't think that "trying to project an image" by getting a tattoo is necessarily a bad thing. It's pretty much impossible to completely avoid cultural signalling. Even just wearing a clean simple shirt will signal something about you. Is it a white button down? A polo? A T-shirt? A flannel? All of those things will ingratiate you with some, and stir up prejudices among others. A tattoo is no different.

Personally, I would never get a tattoo which is the "shirt equivalent" of a tuxedo or a nerd reference graphic tee, because I want to be able to look "presentable" to lots of different kinds of people and I don't really identify so strongly with any specific subculture that I would want to wear that subculture's flag for the rest of my life.

I appreciate your perspective. I actually agree that "100% internal" was an overstatement on my part, but I mostly put it that way to counter the "image is everything" attitude many seem to think tattoos represent. Like, of course I'm aware that (some) people's perceptions of me will change if I am tattooed versus not. I would still say a tattoo should be more about you than about what others think, if the goal is not to regret it later.

In my case, releasing my worry over that change in other people's perceptions is a huge part of why I am so stoked to get this done. But my wife also thinks tattoos are hot, several of my friends have tattoos, etc., and I can't deny that I have considered how those dynamics play into my decision. I suppose what I'm getting at is that we get to (and should) choose whose opinions we value as much as we get to choose how to portray ourselves to the world. With that in mind, I find it quite ironic when the judgmental prudes come in and lecture about how we shouldn't be making our own choices in these instances because they supposedly know better.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2016, 08:21:51 PM »
Back when I was the saver of the family and my DH was the spender we agreed on him having a tattoo incentive for getting the house 30% paid off. The artist he chose is from Hong Kong (believe me DH did his research; the artist has a 3 year waiting list), so to get the trip over there we agreed on the house being 40% paid off. He'll get his ink August 16 and 17. I'll have to post a picture.

We're both equal savers now, and having a common goal helped that. I feel like we both won in this situation.

For the record he's an academic PhD with tenure and with two tattoos already, one visible. The upcoming one will be a sleeve. If anything I think his tattoos have helped students relate to him. DH is a retired punk, and he also gets a thrill seeing the old staid professoriate get all atwitter when they see his tattoos and stretched 00g earlobes. He said he'd write something tomorrow about his view on being Mustachian and inked.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2016, 03:34:21 AM »
It's not that I intend to get tons of tattoos (I may get more)
From a well tattooed man, that's exactly how it starts. You will get more. Could be lots more.

Ha, I hear that a lot. I work out at a powerlifting gym. Lots of tattoos to go around there. Everyone  is convinced this is the first step on the road to a full sleeve, at the bare minimum. I might consider it, even, although I work in a client-facing job in the SF Bay Area, and I'm not sure if I want to give up my ability to wear short sleeves to meetings in the summer. Then again, despite now being a 6'4", soon to be tattooed powerlifter with a shaved head, for the first ~30 years of my life I was a super skinny, mild-mannered nerd (still am the last two, although I fake extroversion well). I can't deny part of the appeal of getting a sleeve down the road is that I enjoy the idea of subverting that image. Not that I intend to change my personality, I just like pushing the boundaries of people's preconceptions.

Thought about it? I'm counting on it! Did I not mention I'm getting a giant pentagram and goat-footed devil on my chest? ;p

Show this pic to your artist:

YESSSS! Brb, gotta update my plans with my artist. So stoked for that MMM meetup in hell:D
I got all my tattoos in places that are covered by normal work clothes. Even with short sleeves, no one has any idea how tattooed I am. I also don't "look" like the "type" that gets tattoos, so people are shocked when they find out I am. Its a fun little secret I keep with myself. :)

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:42:07 PM by PFHC »

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2016, 03:47:29 AM »
What I meant regarding confirmation bias is that people who dislike tattoos tend to have pre-formed opinions about them which lead them to disproportionately notice tattooed people that (they think) confirm those opinions. Pre-judging someone like me is an expansion of this bias. This especially applies to the "all tattoos are trashy no matter what" folks, but also to those are OK with the idea of tattoos but think most are ugly, such as yourself. That said, I totally agree all of the examples you gave are not particularly attractive (at least in my opinion), but a) I still don't judge people who get those. If it makes them happy, more power to them. And b) You have zero evidence that I am following that path. You're just assuming I must be and then demanding that I prove otherwise. That is you pre-judging me based on pre-conceived opinions of people who get tattoos. I see no reason to "prove" I'm different since I don't care if anyone but my wife likes my tat (and I'm still favoring my opinion over hers. Just giving her some veto power). Plus, there is no evidence that you have remotely good taste, so why would I value your opinion anyway?
Knuckle dragger.

;)

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2016, 05:03:37 AM »
I love my tattoo, I feel like it gives me strength and encouragement that I couldn't get from anywhere else. It is great value for money. If I could think of anything else that would have the same effect for so little harm I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

It's made me feel more confident before job interviews and I consider that it's had a positive financial impact, before I even think about how happy it makes me.

Also, given how much you've thought about this OP and how much it means to you, if you were considering backing out I think that you'd need to weigh up what it would mean if you didn't get the tattoo, and think about how much money you'd pay to not feel like that.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »

Do it!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
26 hours to go! I am so freaking excited. I can't seem to stop talking about it to my wife, long past the point her eyes glazed over. I'm sure she'll be relieved when it's over for that reason alone. Can't wait to join the ranks of the knuckle-draggers!

Mildly apprehensive that I scheduled a 4 hour session when I have no idea how I'll handle it, but I figured I would rather get it finished in one go.

Back when I was the saver of the family and my DH was the spender we agreed on him having a tattoo incentive for getting the house 30% paid off. The artist he chose is from Hong Kong (believe me DH did his research; the artist has a 3 year waiting list), so to get the trip over there we agreed on the house being 40% paid off. He'll get his ink August 16 and 17. I'll have to post a picture.

We're both equal savers now, and having a common goal helped that. I feel like we both won in this situation.

For the record he's an academic PhD with tenure and with two tattoos already, one visible. The upcoming one will be a sleeve. If anything I think his tattoos have helped students relate to him. DH is a retired punk, and he also gets a thrill seeing the old staid professoriate get all atwitter when they see his tattoos and stretched 00g earlobes. He said he'd write something tomorrow about his view on being Mustachian and inked.

That's awesome. I could see using the tattoo as incentive approach for future ink. Can't wait to hear his perspective. What field is he in?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2016, 12:51:11 PM »
If you can afford it it's not a huge as a once-a-lifetime expense, so sure go ahead.

But aren't tattoos pretty much exactly about what others think? That's why you get one right? It's a purely visual thing to show something to others. So presumably it means you very much care what others think, what they think about your body art? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't buy that you're getting it as a symbol that you "don't care what others think". Then why would you put visual art on your body?! If anything, the fact that you have to signal (permanently!) how little you care what others think is showing how much you care what they think..

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »
If you can afford it it's not a huge as a once-a-lifetime expense, so sure go ahead.

But aren't tattoos pretty much exactly about what others think? That's why you get one right? It's a purely visual thing to show something to others. So presumably it means you very much care what others think, what they think about your body art? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't buy that you're getting it as a symbol that you "don't care what others think". Then why would you put visual art on your body?! If anything, the fact that you have to signal (permanently!) how little you care what others think is showing how much you care what they think..

If you misinterpret the point of my post, I see how you could view it that way, but not like I was posting "Hey guys, because I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm getting a tattoo. Please tell me what you think!"  I mean, your logic applies to anything we do that other people can see (clothes, hair style, makeup, etc.). I suppose you think all of those are also never personal decisions but rather things done because everyone is overly concerned about other people's opinions? Of course, most probably do care at some fundamental level, but that really isn't the point. Also, I suspect you didn't read the whole thread.

Even if we accept your premise, many people get tattoos that are hidden by clothing 99.9% of the time (myself included). PFHC seems like another good example here. I personally have a friend who is a middle school teacher and has a wicked set of tattoos all over his torso that are only visible when he's shirtless. None of his coworkers have any idea he has so much ink.

desertadapted

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »
Some unsolicited tattoo advice:  only get the piece if you can keep the same design and body part in mind for a year (six months if you're a rebel).  It's permanent.  Good to want it and know you've maintained that want for a not-insubstantial period of time.  Also, after your first piece, if you're like a lot of folks with ink, you'll want more (something fierce), and having a one-year-rule is a good toggle.  My observation is that once someone gets the fever, their discrimination wanes and quality suffers.  Side note: I got my first work done in 1992.  If this tattoo thang is just a fad, it's been hella long lasting.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2016, 02:05:13 PM »
I mean, your logic applies to anything we do that other people can see (clothes, hair style, makeup, etc.). I suppose you think all of those are also never personal decisions but rather things done because everyone is overly concerned about other people's opinions?

ehh yes? Of course clothes are based on how we want to be viewed by others. Otherwise why are there more than one type of sneakers, one shirt color etc? Even if you don't care about convention and color your hair blue and wear goth clothes, you're still signaling something.

I guess that's my point; every choice about our appearance is a statement. Which like I said I don't think is wrong. I just have a pet peeve with people who say they don't care about visual statements, and show this by making visual statements.. Maybe I interpreted your post wrong but I did get some of this vibe from this thread. Want a tattoo? Fine, do it. But realize it's very much a statement when it is shown. And I would hope I is? I mean that's the reason I would get one: to show people my cool tattoo. I just haven't felt like it.

And for people who have their tattoos covered that seems to me a) a waste of a good tattoo, and b) he's still showing it, and saying something about himself, to somebody.

Steve Rogers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2016, 02:13:14 PM »
Hi OP. I just finished a full sleeve which was my first tattoo. Like you i had a little justifying it but at the same time it should only be a one time investment and i saved up for it. I am also into power lifting and seeing them daily i fell in love. I would just say find a great artist and go for it.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »
December is two years I've had her. This tattoo I drew and resigned myself. I drew it three years ago and waited a year before the final art work.
And this tattoo is huge for me.  It's a bookend in my life,  a chapter I am glad to have closed. and I have no regrets.  I woke five jobs and have a secure job as an engineer and a professional bellydancer. If that makes me some sort trashy knuckledragger so be it. You're entitled to your opinion. And I'm entitled to not give a fuck about your opinion on my body.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2016, 10:19:37 PM »
It's your body and your money, so do what you want.

Personally I associate tats with Nazi concentration camps, gangs, and my friend getting hepatitis during college.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2016, 10:45:13 PM »

Personally I associate tats with Nazi concentration camps, gangs, and my friend getting hepatitis during college.

Thank you for your productive, and not at all sophmorically passive aggressive contribution to our conversation :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:18:53 PM by Lagom »

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2016, 11:17:19 PM »
December is two years I've had her. This tattoo I drew and resigned myself. I drew it three years ago and waited a year before the final art work.
And this tattoo is huge for me.  It's a bookend in my life,  a chapter I am glad to have closed. and I have no regrets.  I woke five jobs and have a secure job as an engineer and a professional bellydancer. If that makes me some sort trashy knuckledragger so be it. You're entitled to your opinion. And I'm entitled to not give a fuck about your opinion on my body.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Beautiful work. Of course by posting it, you are actually indicating that you are super insecure and overly-concerned with what we all think. I'm so glad we've had such well-meaning friends show up on my thread to help us realize this fact. The good news is you and I will get to party hard in hell while they enjoy a chaste, lifeless eternity, wrapped in their pearly-gated sanctimony.

In other news, my artist just emailed me to reschedule due to an unexpected conflict on his end. >:(

Good news is I have only been delayed by a day. He actually gave me the option to keep the appointment, but asked if I could be flexible. I decided to be so, given that I would prefer someone putting permanent art on me be under the impression that I did him a favor before he began his work!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2016, 07:28:17 AM »
I find it quite ironic when the judgmental prudes come in and lecture about how we shouldn't be making our own choices in these instances because they supposedly know better.
I don't give one single fuck what you chose to do to your own body. I do care about the way you respond to anyone who dares to offer a different opinion. Nobody forced you to post your plans on a public personal finance forum. Your vitriol suggests that you might just harbor a teeny, tiny seed of doubt about your decision, else why post here?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2016, 08:08:59 AM »
Justifying tattoos: I use my money for things that matter to me. Functionally speaking, this means that a significant chunk goes into savings to buy future freedom of decision, a decent-sized chunk goes to pay the mortgage on a house I love to live in in the place I want to live in, some of it goes to maintain a car, some of it goes to daycare and excellent food, and some of it goes to things I care about. I evaluate my spending decisions based on whether I think the thing I'm spending money on will make me happier long-term and me more long-term satisfaction than having the money in savings.

In practical terms, this means I'm willing to pay a mortgage on a relatively nice house that isn't biking distance to anywhere, have kids, spend money on books, not eat out at all, drive an older car... generally balance my spending in a way that suits my values, my life, and my long-term satisfaction (as well as my husband's. Obviously.)

So: my tattoo. I have it. I like it. I have plans for another one, probably in a few years (due to both finances - the artist I want is excellent but has a waiting list and is $$$ - and due to pregnancy/breastfeeding planning). I think it's worth the money for my happiness and satisfaction. You can feel absolutely free to disagree with your own body and your own money. *shrugs*

Anyone else is free to disagree... in the same way that you're free to think that I should do something different with my hair, wear different clothing, spend more/less on my house, manage my relationship with my husband differently, parent my toddler differently, have more/less kids, whatever. Judgy judgers will judge, basically. You can think it, but I don't have to listen to it. ;)

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
Its a forum.  Nobody 'wins'.

Re tattoos, again, not a personal fan, but not offended either.

Isn't there dissolvable ink that is self encapsulated and can be 'burst' by a laser later?  So if someone changed their mind down the road, they could (relatively) easily erase the tattoo?

I thought I had read about this years back anyway.  I've seen several folks 'correct a mistake' very painfully, literally and financially later on.  I think that is part of what makes me 'not a fan' of tattoos in general.  They are expensive to 'fix'.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »

Thank you for your productive, and not at all sophmorically passive aggressive contribution to our conversation :D

You seem really angry at everyone who posts that they don't like tattoos. Surely you expected that some random people on the internet would hold different opinions than you do? FWIW I have no opinions about tattoos at all really in either direction and think everyone should spend their money and decorate their body however they like. It just seems like you are sarcastically responding to everyone who says they don't like them, and following it up with a smiley face...which seems quite passive aggressive, actually.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
I know tattoos are one of those things some people are very close-minded about. Usually it's a result of preconceptions combined with selection bias when observing tattooed individuals they encounter.

I support your right to decorate your body however you please. I just think tattoos are fugly.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2016, 10:21:58 AM »
Tats are a good way to distinguish yourself and show how unique you are ---- compared to the millions of other hipsters out there with ink.  Plus they will look awesome when you are 65.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »

You seem really angry at everyone who posts that they don't like tattoos. Surely you expected that some random people on the internet would hold different opinions than you do? FWIW I have no opinions about tattoos at all really in either direction and think everyone should spend their money and decorate their body however they like. It just seems like you are sarcastically responding to everyone who says they don't like them, and following it up with a smiley face...which seems quite passive aggressive, actually.

Paraphrasing:
Original post: "Hey, people who like/want/have tattoos, how do you like/justify/get them? let's discuss!"
Cultural Critic: "I think people who have tattoos are of low morals and possibly frequent the Victorian underworld, are unemployable, and will succumb to the vile lure of prostitution and drink!!!!!111!ZOMG"

Everyone who has tattoos is well aware that some people think they're fugly and have negative associations - trust me, you don't need to say it, and it's not adding to the discussion. The OP made it pretty clear that that wasn't the point of the discussion they were trying to start, so a vague passive-aggressive response to being told that their body associates them with nazis and hepatitis actually seems pretty polite, all things considered.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »

Paraphrasing:
Original post: "Hey, people who like/want/have tattoos, how do you like/justify/get them? let's discuss!"
Cultural Critic: "I think people who have tattoos are of low morals and possibly frequent the Victorian underworld, are unemployable, and will succumb to the vile lure of prostitution and drink!!!!!111!ZOMG"

Everyone who has tattoos is well aware that some people think they're fugly and have negative associations - trust me, you don't need to say it, and it's not adding to the discussion. The OP made it pretty clear that that wasn't the point of the discussion they were trying to start, so a vague passive-aggressive response to being told that their body associates them with nazis and hepatitis actually seems pretty polite, all things considered.

Thanks for the social critique and humor with my morning coffee!! Very good, very good.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2016, 11:34:10 AM »

Paraphrasing:

Ha, well said. I find it extremely interesting how quick the anti-tattoo crowd is to project all of their negativity onto me and then act aghast that I pushed back against their insults, as if I am under some kind of obligation to carefully consider their bigoted "arguments." And since lots of folks here seem to need things spelled out for them, I have no problem with people who simply think tattoos are unattractive. I find many to be quite ugly myself!

Anyway, I would say I don't really care, but I guess that just proves their point? Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to make my peace with being a stereotype ;)

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2016, 11:39:44 AM »
I love my tattoos, and have zero regrets. I also have a great job and make what I think is a lot of money, and having those tattoos visible, on occasion, has not been any kind of barrier for me in my line of work. I like knowing that barring amputation, these will be with me for the rest of my life.

Most of the people I know with tattoos actually have pretty beautiful art on their bodies, that they put a lot of thought, time, pain, and a fair amount of money into. The trashy tattoo stereotype is so old and tired. If you do your research, you will not get hepatitis or an infection, your art will turn out, and it will look beautiful for a very long time.

And anyway, my tattoos will not be the only thing preventing me from winning a bikini contest when I'm 80. If they look bad when I'm old, it's because the rest of me looks bad. So  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EmpireOfDirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2016, 11:46:04 AM »

Paraphrasing:

Ha, well said. I find it extremely interesting how quick the anti-tattoo crowd is to project all of their negativity onto me and then act aghast that I pushed back against their insults, as if I am under some kind of obligation to carefully consider their bigoted "arguments." And since lots of folks here seem to need things spelled out for them, I have no problem with people who simply think tattoos are unattractive. I find many to be quite ugly myself!

Anyway, I would say I don't really care, but I guess that just proves their point? Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to make my peace with being a stereotype ;)

Since you are the OP of this topic, I would say, by definition, you do care what other people think of your upcoming tattoo purchase. DianeC already pointed this out.

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2016, 11:48:55 AM »
But aren't tattoos pretty much exactly about what others think? That's why you get one right? It's a purely visual thing to show something to others.

Not really. What other people would think of me was approximately 0% of what drove my tattoo decisions. I'm sure there are people out there who get tattoos just to portray an image to strangers, but certainly not everybody.

If you put art on your wall at home, is that just to impress guests? Or is it possible that you're putting it there because YOU enjoy looking at it? I rarely have guests, but I still painted my walls and hung up photos that make me happy day to day.

Only my very closest friends and my husband would ever see my back tattoo, and at this point they've already formed pretty solid opinions of me -- yet I'm still planning on expanding it in the next couple years.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »

Paraphrasing:

Since you are the OP of this topic, I would say, by definition, you do care what other people think of your upcoming tattoo purchase. DianeC already pointed this out.

Not sure if this is a troll...? If not, feel free to reread Kitsune's summary on the (frankly quite obvious) purpose of this thread versus how people like DianeC have decided to hijack it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »
I wanted a tattoo as a teenager.  I asked my dad about it.  He said "As long as you are sure that you'll never, ever change as a person again . . . you should do it.  If you think that there's the slightest chance that you'll grow or have a different opinion about it in the future, it's probably best not to alter your body permanently."

In retrospect, I'm really, really glad I didn't get the tattoo.

EmpireOfDirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »

Paraphrasing:

Not sure if this is a troll...? If not, feel free to reread Kitsune's summary on the (frankly quite obvious) purpose of this thread versus how people like DianeC have decided to hijack it.

Nah, not a troll. Just someone with a different perspective. If you can't handle it, feel free to "don't really care" elsewhere.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »

Nah, not a troll. Just someone with a different perspective. If you can't handle it, feel free to "don't really care" elsewhere.

So lemme get this straight. If the OP doesn't like the invasion of the thread THEY CREATED, they're free to abandon and leave it to your off-topic opinion, is the solution?

Wow.

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
But aren't tattoos pretty much exactly about what others think? That's why you get one right? It's a purely visual thing to show something to others.

Not really. What other people would think of me was approximately 0% of what drove my tattoo decisions. I'm sure there are people out there who get tattoos just to portray an image to strangers, but certainly not everybody.

If you put art on your wall at home, is that just to impress guests? Or is it possible that you're putting it there because YOU enjoy looking at it? I rarely have guests, but I still painted my walls and hung up photos that make me happy day to day.

Only my very closest friends and my husband would ever see my back tattoo, and at this point they've already formed pretty solid opinions of me -- yet I'm still planning on expanding it in the next couple years.

This.

Just because you can see my tattoos doesn't mean they are there for you.

Personally, I don't even like it when people ask me about what my tattoos mean. To me, that is so obviously deeply personal, but I guess others don't see it that way.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2016, 12:21:23 PM »

Nah, I like it here :)

In other news, I've decided to take the advice of DianeC and yourself and carefully consider those "different perspectives." Amazingly, after careful introspection, I've realized that it actually might be possible I am a trashy criminal nazi sinner with hepatitis, who will never get another job (friendly reminder that not one of those is an embellishment on what has been said). Thank god you guys came in to make me realize that those accusations were in fact the well-meaning perspective of open minded individuals.

You should be proud to associate with such outstanding citizens of the world. I know that I now feel bad for calling them such hateful things as "judgmental prudes."

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2016, 12:21:44 PM »

This.

Personally, I don't even like it when people ask me about what my tattoos mean. To me, that is so obviously deeply personal, but I guess others don't see it that way.

My most visible tattoo is nothing but pretty art, no deep personal meaning here... and I still hate talking about it to strangers, lol. I have a friend with a gorgeous, colorful sleeve tattoo that's not meant to be deeply meaningful either, and I have seen her at the end of her rope with strangers touching it in public and always wanting to talk about it. There's really not much to talk about.

If I had to give one warning to someone considering a tattoo, it would be that you'll be forced to explain it to random strangers for the rest of your life, and that it's exhausting.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »

This.

Yea - I have tats that are so personal that it bugs me that people ask about them --- while wearing sleeveless shirts, etc.  Come on already.  If you like 'em, more power to ya.  If people don't like 'em, that's an opinion they are entitled to have and frankly share here.

But really, publicly visible and yet offended when people notice?  That's a new one for hipster outrage.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2016, 12:27:13 PM »
Sounds like you have thought it through and it is not impulse ink.
I say go for it who am I to say any different? 

I have 4 tattoos.  My first was at 20 on my shoulder done by a biker dude named Puppy.  True Story.
Two others were done in my 30s while I was in the service.
My last was a year ago in honor of all my friends & family who have passed due to cancer. Very small.
All four cost less than $350 combined.
The only one that really matters to me is the last one. 
None of them are sleeve work or very large at all.
The others, though they meant something at the time and actually are very well done, I could live without now.
FWIW I am a retired 55 year old lol.  Not preachy but if I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't except the last one.

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »

This.

Yea - I have tats that are so personal that it bugs me that people ask about them --- while wearing sleeveless shirts, etc.  Come on already.  If you like 'em, more power to ya.  If people don't like 'em, that's an opinion they are entitled to have and frankly share here.

But really, publicly visible and yet offended when people notice?  That's a new one for hipster outrage.

I'm not sure where you are getting anything about offended, outrage, or hipster from what I wrote... Either I wrote it poorly or you read it poorly.

Admiring them or looking at them is fine. Even asking about the design, all ok. All I said was personally I don't like to talk about their meaning.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:39:44 PM by mcj »

EmpireOfDirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2016, 12:31:15 PM »

Nah, I like it here :)

In other news, I've decided to take the advice of DianeC and yourself and carefully consider those "different perspectives." Amazingly, after careful introspection, I've realized that it actually might be possible I am a trashy criminal nazi sinner with hepatitis, who will never get another job (friendly reminder that not one of those is an embellishment on what has been said). Thank god you guys came in to make me realize that those accusations were in fact the well-meaning perspective of open minded individuals.

You should be proud to associate with such outstanding citizens of the world. I know that I now feel bad for calling them such hateful things as "judgmental prudes."

Cool - glad you're willing to have a conversation.

I'd like your opinion - how would you compare the purchase of a tattoo with other anti-Mustachian items like a gas-guzzling SUV, an over-the-top McMansion, etc.? Do you think the people that purchase those items care what other people think? Or is it a deeply personal purchase that no one else would understand?

I'm not putting then in the same category (I honestly don't think they are - tattoos are much harder to get rid of!), I'm more interested in the psychology behind the purchase decision.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2016, 12:33:56 PM »

This.

I'm not sure where you are getting anything about offended, outrage, or hipster from what I wrote... Either I wrote it poorly or you read it poorly

Maybe asking about a tat is just considered another micro-aggression then?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
Cool - glad you're willing to have a conversation.

I'd like your opinion - how would you compare the purchase of a tattoo with other anti-Mustachian items like a gas-guzzling SUV, an over-the-top McMansion, etc.? Do you think the people that purchase those items care what other people think? Or is it a deeply personal purchase that no one else would understand?

I'm not putting then in the same category (I honestly don't think they are - tattoos are much harder to get rid of!), I'm more interested in the psychology behind the purchase decision.

How about you give me your opinion on other anti-Mustachian purchases like foreign vacations or buying artwork to hang on your walls. Do you think the people who purchase those care what other people think? Or do they just like spending money on rewarding experiences and beautiful/meaningful art that will bring them joy for years to come?

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »
how the fuck did this thread devolve from asking how people justfiy the expense of tattoos to how tattoos suck, people with tattoos are racist and dumb, and the psychology of people who get tattoos.

fuck off.

OP: Is your financial house in order? yea? Cool. Get a tattoo. I don't care if you tattoo a giant dick on your back and i'm not sure why other people do either.

also not sure why people feel like interjecting if they have nothing to add other than to bash tattoos in one way or the other....they could have, oh i dont know, just not posted in this fucking thread to begin with.

(no tattoos here)