Author Topic: Have you visited your local Library lately?  (Read 31687 times)

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
Have you visited your local Library lately?
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »
I've been taking my oldest to the library for several years, but have just recently got back in the habit of doing my reading here as well.  Even in our small town, this library could keep me busy for a LONG time!  Anybody have any suggestions for good reads?  Also, any opinions on buying an Ereader (Kindle, etc) so I can download library books?  I'm leaning toward it being a waste of $ until I've made it through the hard copies at the library.

cadamsgis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Have you visited your local Library lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
I have the kindle keyboard (older model) and absolutely love it. I read alot and even my husband noticed that I read faster on the kindle then hard paper books.

I signed up for eReaderIQ.com and they send you links to free books (you have to download on that day or a few days because it seems to be common practice for an author to put their book up for free as a sort of teaser then change the price).

I have read over 300 free books from them and alos downloading from the library.

I can see where if people were paying money asked for books on amazon they would go broke. So if something I want to read has a price higher then free I just add it to a list I have then go find a free book to read for now.

BrownStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »
any opinions on buying an Ereader (Kindle, etc) so I can download library books?
If you want a kindle, you can probably get a solid used 2nd or 3rd gen (now known as "kindle keyboard") for under $50 on craigslist, but I'd advise looking into the actual availability of ebooks through your library. The publishers use stone-age licensing schemes where ebooks are treated just like physical books that must be purchased at hardcover price and can only be "loaned" to one person at a time, so pretty much everything worth reading at my local library has a months-long waitlist.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
Public libraries are really a thing of a past generation: they never really have the books you want to begin with, their search engine's awful, it takes forever to find and it's often still checked out. When you factor in opportunity costs of getting to and from the library and the late fees you'll probably accrue, a kindle's probably going to be worth it if you're a heavy reader.

Kindles are great for reading. The screen is way better to read than on your laptop.  You can get a new one with Wifi for $69, which is much better in terms of size and page turning time (I wouldn't get a keyboard unless you actually intend to do research or something on it). Battery lasts for a few thousand page turns.

Amazon has a ton of public domain books available for free download and they have 180,000 cycling premium books you can "borrow", but this is limited to just a few a month. Also there's a free program called Calibre that will organize your eBooks and also offers a free service that will pull together all of the days articles for certain newspapers and magazines and automatically deliver it to your Kindle in a nice package so you don't have to pay for the ebook subscription. I get the Economist and NY Times delivered this way. And if you're feeling slightly less ethical, there are tons of kindle books available for free download through less legitimate sources.

There's still something to be said for paper books at this point, especially for titles you wouldn't read cover to cover, but it's definitely a handy purchase and really great if you want to read when you're traveling but don't want to haul around pounds and pounds of books.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
I've been taking my oldest to the library for several years, but have just recently got back in the habit of doing my reading here as well.  Even in our small town, this library could keep me busy for a LONG time!  Anybody have any suggestions for good reads?  Also, any opinions on buying an Ereader (Kindle, etc) so I can download library books?  I'm leaning toward it being a waste of $ until I've made it through the hard copies at the library.

I have a Kindle and I like it, but I get hard copies, obviously, when the ebook isn't available or has a long wait.

On the fiction side, you definitely can't miss the Game of Thrones/Song of Fire and Ice series by Martin.  I'm on Dance with Dragons right now and it's been a trip.

Also, every book in the Ender's Game serieses (serii?  what is the plural of a series?) by Card.  There was the original trilogy (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and Xeno), but also read the Bean series, which was fucking great.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
Oh yea, the Game of Thrones books will last you quite a while, they're around 900 pages long. 

zoltani

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 05:05:11 PM »
Public libraries are really a thing of a past generation: they never really have the books you want to begin with, their search engine's awful, it takes forever to find and it's often still checked out. When you factor in opportunity costs of getting to and from the library and the late fees you'll probably accrue, a kindle's probably going to be worth it if you're a heavy reader.

Lol, everything you said is the complete opposite with the Seattle library system.  It is great, and I visit regularly.

"The Seattle Public Library system has the highest percentage of library card-holders per capita in the country."

MAy have something to do with:

"Seattle has the highest percentage of residents with a college degree or higher."

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »

I don't know what kind of books you read, but very few of the books I've read in the past year are available as ebooks.  My podunk little library has a mutual borrowing policy with nearly all of central Kentucky, and I've always found the book I'm looking for. The library is on the way to several places, and I don't get late fees because I'm mindful of that sort of thing.

Maybe libraries are different where you live, and I'm sure Kindles and the like have their perks, but I love my library and don't see much point in a Kindle given the price difference. Maybe there's a benefit compared to new books, but when I do buy books I try and buy used, which you can't do with the Kindle.

Also, every book in the Ender's Game serieses (serii?  what is the plural of a series?) by Card.  There was the original trilogy (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and Xeno), but also read the Bean series, which was fucking great.

Those books are the tits. I read them all at least three times when I was younger, and wouldn't mind re-reading them if I didn't have other things to do. The film is coming out next year, and I might actually pony up to see it on the big screen.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »
I love my Kindle and my library. Their Kindle/eBook selection is growing each month and it's now rare that I get an actual book, so I'm starting to find them unwieldy and annoying.

I have one of the old, white keyboard Kindles and it's probably one of the best things I own. Though when I first got it I went mad buying books and spent a fortune. You go through books so much quicker on the Kindle as you always have it with you (at least I do).

I have a new appreciation for the library. Annoyingly enough I used to live almost across the street from it and it never occurred to me to go in. Now if I see something I want to read I just log on and reserve/download it.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »

i read a lot on my ipad and i love it, but i love the library, too! my city has a kick-ass library system -- i would say less than 10% of the time do they not have a book i'm looking for. and i live a block away from the nearest branch, so it's no problem to pop over there and pick something up once i get the email that it's arrived. their e-reader system is crap, admittedly, and their online catalog is ugly, but it's fully functional. overall i think we have a totally bitchen library system.

the one bad thing about e-readers, to me, is that they encourage me to want to read something NOW, immediately, and not wait for it at the library. the instant gratification is nice, but tempting. i've been doing better lately at forcing myself to wait for the paper book at the library, but it was pretty bad there for a while. i

i don't know if you are impulsive and greedy like me but if so, be aware that an e-reader means serious temptation!

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:21:32 PM »
While I prefer real books, I found the Kindle to be convenient when my husband was working long hours during a special project.  He was in bed early and I could read without turning on my bedside lamp.

Most of the books I read (and I am an avid reader) either come from the library or library book sales.  My son actually makes money off the later.  He buys bags full of sci fi, reads the books, then sells them to the local used book store. But I digress...

Shrug.  I can see where an e-reader might be useful.  Say you are sailing around the world and may not have access to reading material in your native language.  But for my life, I'll take real books. 

Regarding library fees:  my library has a great online system that sends me email reminders to renew borrowed materials.  I rarely pay fines.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »
I love both my library and my Kindle (I have a Kindle keyboard).  My Kindle is a luxury and not something I would have bought myself, but it was a much appreciated present.

My library usually has something good to offer in the "new books" section but is really hit or miss on specific titles.  I've never had a problem finding a book I really wanted to read, either from another branch or surrounding area.  Most of the time I just go to browse and have yet to come out empty handed.

I've only actually bought a couple of books for the Kindle, all of the rest have been the freebie offers on Amazon, from Gutenberg.org (best site ever! Especially if you like the classics), or are pdfs of research papers that I downloaded.   It also allows me to have a mini library without having to store or dust . . . definite perk.

Now that I work within walking distance of a library I've been reading more paper books, but I really appreciate being able to download them as well.  I have no problem putting myself in the queue for a best seller and being pleasantly surprised two months later when my turn is up :-) 

My library sends me a reminder e-mail three days before a book is due and I have never paid a fine.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »

Those books are the tits. I read them all at least three times when I was younger, and wouldn't mind re-reading them if I didn't have other things to do.

Yup, I've read Ender's Game multiple times.  I think the only other book I've read more is Rogue Warrior, by Richard Marcinko, the founder of Seal Team 6.

The film is coming out next year, and I might actually pony up to see it on the big screen.

Oh... my... god.... yesssss.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »

Those books are the tits. I read them all at least three times when I was younger, and wouldn't mind re-reading them if I didn't have other things to do. The film is coming out next year, and I might actually pony up to see it on the big screen.

The guy playing Harrison Ford's character's aid is named Han Soto... that is awesome.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »
I like the way this comic thinks about ereaders:
http://www.slowpokecomics.com/strips/kindle.html

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »
I've read Ender's Game a few times and recently reread it and followed up with Speaker for the dead. I noticed that my library has the new Vonnegut letters book.... I spent an hour this evening reading my library books while my young ones watched the Scooby doo cartoon that I rented from the library!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
I don't know what library you're referring to, but you might be overgeneralizing based on your personal experience.

Our library is great-- only two miles from our house.  I get the "hot pick" hardcopy through the library fast enough that I'm not interested in paying for it.  Interlibrary loans all over the state, including neighbor islands.  If a book on my list doesn't show up at the library within a few months then I'll fill out a suggestion card for the librarian, and she buys it with her discretionary funds (and I get to be the first reader).  And if for some reason a book still won't make the library's cut, then I'll finally buy it from Amazon.

I'm agnostic.  I prefer reading PDFs on my iPad instead of my computer screen, but I occasionally print one out.  I'd happily pay a small fee to the library to read eBook versions of the hardcopy, but that's mostly laziness.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »
I've read Ender's Game a few times and recently reread it and followed up with Speaker for the dead. I noticed that my library has the new Vonnegut letters book.... I spent an hour this evening reading my library books while my young ones watched the Scooby doo cartoon that I rented from the library!

I'm telling you, the Bean series is excellent, if you haven't ready it already.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 09:22:14 PM »
I used to be a library hound at high school but pretty much gave it up when I left. I now do most of my book reading on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy SII) as it's always on me and can be used pretty much anywhere.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »
Interesting how differently people use their library. I for one very seldom look for a specific title or keep a list of any sort. Friends who recommend titles typically lend me their copy. So I just walk in, grab things at semi-random, sometimes talk to a librarian, and come home with half a dozen new authors. Some I don't like, but that's okay- I have no problem stopping after 50 pages because I don't like a book. For fiction at least, this works out great.

herisff

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
I love my Nook. When I first got one, only the Nook allowed you to borrow ebooks from the library. What's nice about ebooks is that you can borrow without traveling. I live in a fairly remote area, but my library has reciprocity w/ the neighboring county's library, which then allows me reciprocity into Seattle's and King County's libraries - so I'm in heaven, and can borrow ebooks from places that would take me 2 hours to get to.

I still borrow dead tree copies from my local library (especially for non-fiction, as the libraries tend not to have the ebook version), but go for ebooks when I can.

The other thing I do to assuage my reading need is trade via PaperBack Swap (PBS). I can thin my library and get books I want to read for just the cost of posting my books out. It has worked quite well for me for years.

With all these options, I rarely buy books - and when I do, it's usually an ebook version of a book I know that I will re-read. If I'm not sure, I get it from the library or via PBS.

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »
I practically grew up in libraries (both my parents were librarians), and I'm ashamed to admit I've barely visited the library in the past three years. I really don't like the librarian, and because the library is so small, there's no way to avoid her.

But the library does have a pretty good inter-library-loan system, and I can order books online to have them delivered here, so I should start doing that more ^_^

NWstubble

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 12:55:56 AM »

Wow. Where to start..ok, how about doing what the title of this thread says and visiting your library. I have lived in several states (east and west), big city/small town, and have never had the experience you describe. Also, from the comments it seems that many others would disagree with you as well.

I am not sure how things take forever to find in a library either, it is a cataloged system by number and author. Pretty simple. As to the late fees, well that is ridiculous given that being mustachian you would of course always know when your books are due to avoid said fees and secondly many libraries now allow you to renew online!

I will give you one thing. If you only read new releases and must read them immediately, the library is not going to help you there.

kt

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:29 AM »
i'm a big book worm and anti-kindle, mainly because i'm clumsy and break things and it's hard to break a book. plus i don't want another thing which might break and wanting replacing in a few years.
love my library, chose my house to make sure i was easy walking distance from it (and park and train station). although i usually take a list of books i want, they also put good books on display and i often end up taking a dozen books home. i have read books on my netbook to take advantage of e-book lending and free ebooks but i much prefer a physical book, especially after working on a computer all day.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 07:15:12 AM »

Not true!  Libraries are fantastic and they have moved into the future.  Through the interlibrary loan program and with online catalogs, I can request a book be put on hold for me, and when it's ready, I get an email saying to come pick it up.  I can also renew my books online, and I get emailed reminders telling me when something's due, so there's really no excuse for late fees these days. 

That said, I do also have a kindle which I use to supplement the library and sometimes download library books.  The library is awesome and a huge money saver, especially with the newer online features.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »
Maybe Chuckles was referring to the libraries in South Jersey where I lived until Spring this year. They had no online system for searching and reserving. The intra-library loan system was a joke, taking weeks to get a book 10 miles across town. If you wanted a title they didn't have, which for me was almost always, the North Jersey libraries might have it but you would have to wait 4 months. I wish I was exaggerating. E-book reader borrowing became available March of this year but in a very limited way and of course, you had to own a reader. The funding for books was absurdly low but apparently the computer funding was through the roof. In the late 90's every county library removed 70% of their books and installed computer labs. Late last year I filled out a paper reservation slip for a new, best-seller biography. It took 3 months for them to call me to pick it up. Apparently they'd only bought two copies for the entire county. They also charged $ to check out videos and cd's.
Our county was the poorest and least educated county in the state so the theory of the average education level of residents in relation to availability of materials is an intriguing possibility.
Now I live Colorado, just outside a major city. The library system here is absolutely FABULOUS!!!!! My husband has read only two books in his adult life and even he can't wait to use the library site and pick up books now. He jumps at the chance to take the kids over and of course, they love it too! It couldn't be easier to reserve what we want online. We can clearly see where we are on the waiting list for items.  For high demand items, you can get on the waiting list or get lucky and see the item on the Rapid check-out shelf when you visit. They buy copies for both purposes. For example, hubby got on the list for the new Dark Shadows movie and was 400th in line(the county bought 40 copies so the wait wouldn't have been forever)but when he picked up items yesterday he saw the movie on the Rapid shelf(3 day borrowing). I love the Rapid borrowing option! It seems to level the playing field for those who don't have easy access to computers to make reservations on materials. When our items are ready, it's a simple stop for hubby on the way home from work and the check out system is is digital self check-out. They even hand out the actual e-readers if you don't have one when you borrow a title. I know I'm gushing but as a 32 year old bookworm painfully disappointed with the public library system in my county for over 15 years and dreaming of a perfect system, this is about as close to it as I could imagine.

Right now I'm reading, free:
The Debt Bomb, by Tom Coburn
Liberty Defined, Ron Paul
North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell
A Field Guide to American Houses, McAllister
Against Wind and Tide, Ann Morrow Lindbergh
Homebuilding and Woodworking in Colonial America, Keith Wilbur
A Tiny Home to Call Your Own, P. Foreman
The Tragedy of American Compassion, M. Olasky

I'm back to being the voracious reader I was when I was a teenager, when the library system in South Jersey had tons of books. They were mostly from the 70's but that didn't make them completely irrelevant. ;)
So far this year, as a busy homeschooling mother to three kids, I've read over 70 books. We have 3 weeks of Winter break coming up and I have put over 30 books and books on CD on reserve at the library to get me through.

Masha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
I freakin' love my library! Its small, but there is always something worth reading, and they get a nice, though small, selection of new books on a regular basis. They have audio books I can download for FREE, and quite a few movies and audiobook on the shelves as well. We live in a podunk town in rural North Carolina and visiting my library every week always cheers me up with a blast from my optimism gun.

My complainypants self notes that their database is crappy, and they don't have the latest editions of books, and few of the other visitors seem to understand the concept of quiet in a library... but again, that shit is FREE, its fucking amazing! My amazingly mustachian late 70's family nearby has read literally everything of interest in their tiny little one room branch, but they still petitioned to keep it open (for its 3 hours a week), because they consider it so important to the community, and since they don't use computers, they need a library for references materials on a regular basis. Libraries are absolutely magical and amazing places. Who cares if the bicycle repair books are a few years old...so is my bike...

palvar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »

My library system is great, I've rarely looked up a book and not found it available.  Sometimes I need to wait a few days, but it's well worth it for a free book!

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
As far as late fees go, my local library is willing to cut your late fee in half if you bring in 1 canned good.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 09:31:37 AM »
As a family we probably use the library 5-6 days of the average week.  The kids often go there after school, we attend activities they have like lego building day, crafts, etc.  My 8 year old has group violin lessons there once per week.  My wife gets books, hangs out to read, and checks out books to bring to a couple older ladies who can't go in person.  My 14 year old goes to movie night some weeks, meets his friends, plays games, and finds books for his school book reports.  I'm usually there to pick up kids, but I also check out books, read a magazine or two, and every couple months I have a meeting for a library building committee because we don't have enough room for all the books and activities going on there.

The newest thing they have is a book bag filled with about 10 books on a specific subject that kids can check out.  My 8 year old checked out two at on time the first day they came out, and read every book in the bags.  It's one checkout for all the books, a convenient bag to carry them, and a new topic to cover.

Library's are not perfect and they doesn't fit perfectly in every person's lifestyle, but they are certainly a great thing for many many people.

mustache brony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »
I visit the library about once a month (to drop off books and pick up new ones). Right now I'm rereading the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons and I'm reading (for the first time) the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher ( I had to stop reading hyperion and start Codex Alera due to what order the books came off hold).

+1 lover of libraries here.

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »
I read the Hyperion series back when I was 18.  They were great, but I vaguely remember it taking something like, 300 pages just to introduce all the characters back stories and get the plot rolling.  Those books are epic!

zoltani

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
I like to read graphic novels, and luckily my library has an excellent selection.

Reading a graphic novel on an eReader would be horrible.

Also do not forget that the library usually has other free entertainment, DVDs, music, etc

Taylor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »
Love my Library and my Kindle.

Here's a little trick I learned with getting Library books on the Kindle. Here in Denver, you can keep the kindle book for 2-3 weeks, but sometimes it takes me a bit longer to read it (ahem, Game of Thrones). Once I download the book, I just turn the Wi-Fi off until I'm done reading it, that way the system cannot 'retrieve' the book until I'm done.

I don't know if this is a jerk move, but I do it.

mustache brony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »
I read the Hyperion series back when I was 18.  They were great, but I vaguely remember it taking something like, 300 pages just to introduce all the characters back stories and get the plot rolling.  Those books are epic!

It's the Canterbury Tales. I really didn't appreciate the first book when I read it the first time (in HS) because I couldn't appreciate short stories. 10 years later I am better able to appreciate them.

I agree with you those books are epic!

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »

We programmers call it a "workaround." ;) You might be violating the terms of service, but I doubt they're trying to compare your behavior to those people who just aren't reading anything during the extra time.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »

Here's a little trick I learned with getting Library books on the Kindle. Here in Denver, you can keep the kindle book for 2-3 weeks, but sometimes it takes me a bit longer to read it (ahem, Game of Thrones). Once I download the book, I just turn the Wi-Fi off until I'm done reading it, that way the system cannot 'retrieve' the book until I'm done.

Yea I do that too.  It doesn't matter how long you keep it when you have the WIFI off, since once your loan expires, the next person can check it out, even if you still have it on your Kindle since it never re-synched.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »

Yea I do that too.  It doesn't matter how long you keep it when you have the WIFI off, since once your loan expires, the next person can check it out, even if you still have it on your Kindle since it never re-synched.

Lol, I do this too.

Taylor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one :)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 06:08:37 PM »
The newest thing they have is a book bag filled with about 10 books on a specific subject that kids can check out.  My 8 year old checked out two at on time the first day they came out, and read every book in the bags.  It's one checkout for all the books, a convenient bag to carry them, and a new topic to cover.
That's a really clever idea!

Reading a graphic novel on an eReader would be horrible.
Really? I've heard that tablets are perfectly made for comics. Are you referring to the e-ink ones only? Or is there something else I'm not thinking of?

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 06:42:33 PM »
Comics look quite good on my iPad, although the pages are a bit smaller than you'd be used to with a printed graphic novel.

I think he must have been referring to the e-Ink readers. I have a Kindle and I have tried reading some comics on it and give it mixed results.  The images get a bit muddied, so I think it works fine for black and white comics with high contrast, but it would probably be unreadable for color stuff.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »
Just got back from the library to return Modern Family season 2 and reserve season 3. :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »
Libraries are Disneyland for smart people. If anything, I think an internet generation is *better* suited to libraries. Online search techniques and sampling aren't that different from how libraries operate. This year, I'm in one branch or another about once a week, in "the world's busiest urban public library system":
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/media/key-facts/.

Like many other posters, I rarely go in with something specific in mind. I'll grab five or ten books, my kids will grab another five or ten, and we're good to go.

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »

I would respectfully disagree. Your library experience really depends on the quality of your local public/university libraries and "how" you choose to use them. To me libraries are wonderful treasures and I am fortunate enough to use three counties in Northern California. If you use libraries to obtain reference books it is very helpful using the inter-library loan program. Also if you are reading some personal finance, leadership, and self improvement books it is hard to beat a public library for the sheer diversity and  convenience. You can reserve books and receive email and/or text message notifications when items are available. Also, some libraries will physically place the reserved items for you in a easy to access location for quick check outs! So if you are the type of person who is patient and willing to plan in advance what to borrow, the public library is a fabulous resource.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:37:51 AM by momo »

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
Blaaafrrrrrrrgrrrrrrr wow why did Dance with Dragons end like it did!  jlghjasdgljsg I hate it... I need some more sci-fi/fantasy to tide me over till that lazy turd writes the next book!  Anyone have any suggestions!?

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »

Let me be the millionth person disagree.  I have a kindle (got it for my birthday from my parents a few years ago), and use the library pretty actively.  I don't think DC's library system isn't considered to be that good, but I was actually thinking today that it's the best thing ever.  Seriously -- I go through the catalog and put a ton of books on hold (today I returned four books, have 5 others to read, another 4 are still on hold, and 60+ books on my list of books I want to read).  Then I literally can go into the library for all of 3 minutes and pick all the books up.  And my libary's open until 9pm on Wednesday, so I can usually make it in before closing if I try.  I'm not someone who enjoys re-reading books, so it's perfect for me.

Sure, some newer titles aren't available or have a long wait, but that's ok.  I don't have qualms with buying the occasional book for my kindle:  of all the things to spend money on, I think books are a good one.  Of course, I always joke that I couldn't afford my reading habit if I bought most of my books -- it would be too expensive!  I think the lower priced kindles are under $60 (reasonable to me).  I'm also realizing that Amazon Prime is pretty awesome -- for the yearly fee, free shipping, free movies/TV shows, and lots and lots of free books that you can borrow.  And there are a LOT of really great books that qualify for the lending.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 08:54:40 AM »
As someone who recently rediscovered the joys of using a public library, this article was disquieting:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/bedbugs/article/1304904--bedbugs-found-in-toronto-public-library-books

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
I like to read graphic novels, and luckily my library has an excellent selection.

I use to collect comics in my teens but that habit became far too expensive. My town library is ramping up its outreach to teens in the community, and now has a huge graphic novel collection! So I'm happily working my way through dozens of publications that I've missed out on over the last decade. And whatever my library doesn't have I can get through interlibrary loan. I love e-readers for regular books but really like the paper and ink versions of graphic novels. Chalk it up to nostalgia.

The DVD collection in our library has quadrupled over the last few years. We're working our way through season 2 of the Wire right now, and some of the video games they have as well. We drop by about once a week.

I also just like wandering around and happening upon something that piques my interest, be it a movie, documentary, cookbook, or a new novel. Gah I love the library so much!

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 08:11:53 PM »
I love my little local library.  It's small, but has a fantastic online presence and a great collection of e-books.  Plus, it's connected to the Boston library system and I've never had any problem getting what I want.

I especially love biking to the library with a backpack full of books in the rear rack, and then biking back home with different books.  =D