Author Topic: Does anyone here work at REI?  (Read 4495 times)

sdp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Does anyone here work at REI?
« on: December 24, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
Hey All,
there is a new REI opening up just down the street from me and I am considering applying.  Does anyone have any experience working for REI?

luigi49

• Bristles
Re: Does anyone here work at REI?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 09:01:37 AM »
Hey I don't work there but I read somewhere that REI is like costco.  They take care of their employees.  Good luck.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 09:14:55 AM »
Never worked there, but my experience with people who work at our local REI suggests it's a good place to work. They seem happy, active, and knowledgable, and some of them have been there a very long time. I understand their benefits are very good for retail.

REI consistently ranks high in the "top companies to work for" surveys.

Cooperd0g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:55:54 AM »
Just be careful not to spend your entire paycheck (or more) on all the awesome stuff they have.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
My wife worked for them for a bit as a second job on weekends before I met her. The gist, as I understand it, was that it was fun at first but then became really annoying because of the retail aspect of dealing with crazy people. I have let her know about this thread and will let her chime in more specifically...

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »
haven't worked at REI, but I did do outdoor retail for a while. Customers are all the same as anywhere else (i.e. most are cool, some deserve a punch in the d), but your coworkers will be exceptionally rad/interesting people which makes it much more fun.

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
No actual experience working there but the employees at REI always seem to actually be enjoying their job vs just about every other retail store.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »
My college roommate's mother got a Christmas job at REI one year and ended up staying for years because she loved it so much. 

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
I've been told, at least by REI employees in Portland, that it pays 100% for healthcare premiums, even down to a 20-hour per week employee. That is a nice perk, in addition to the discounted outdoor goods.

Bikes in a dress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 03:24:29 PM »
I worked there for about 8 months in 2006.  It was my second job (in addition to a 40-hour a week 9-5 job).  So together, I was working 60 hours a week between the 2 jobs.  It was a lot.  For retail, it's a good gig, but it's still retail.  I think it depends where your store is located.  I was in an area with a lot of rich people and not a lot of actual outdoor activities.  So I got a lot of people who wanted to know "where is your North Face?"  Many of my customers were used to getting everything they ever wanted, and would get upset over silly things- like having to go downstairs to the customer service counter to pick up an order (we had an elevator), that GPSs were kept in a box, that I couldn't help them RIGHT THEN because I had 10 customers in front of them in line, and all that.  It's essentially a high-end toy store.  It wouldn't exist without people willing to spend $100 on a pair of pants, but a lot of this depends on your tolerance for serving the types of people who are willing to spend $100 on a pair of pants.

Apart from the customers, the management was decent, but a lot of that is store specific.  I had a really great management team most of the time I was there, who would take the heat from problem customers and try to accomodate vacation schedules.  And then a couple of months before I left we got almost an entirely new set of managers (kind of on accident, everybody just sort of left at the same time). I got a not very nice supervisor who once corrected my misunderstanding of store policy in front of customers, the end result being that it made it sound like I thought the customer was stealing (I thought it was store policy to bring all ink-tagged items to the counter.  She said it was a 'judgment call'.  In front of the customer whose item I was trying to bring to the counter.  That did not go over well).

The biggest perk is the discounts and pro deals.  I dedicated $100 of the $600 I made a month there for gear, and I'm still using most of the gear I got.  It's a great way to build a climbing rack, for one.  They also tend to pay higher than other retail establishments. 

You can see how long you can take it.  Some people work there for years, but I couldn't do it.