Author Topic: Converting amazon GC to cash or savings  (Read 4139 times)

fiveoh

• Bristles
Converting amazon GC to cash or savings
« on: June 11, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
I get a few hundred dollars in amazon gc every month from a side gig.  I've been using them to order household staples(i.e. toilet paper, laundry detergent etc) and saving that money instead.  We now have a 6-12 month supply of most of our household goods at the house so I don't want to buy anymore of those.  I'm trying to figure out if there is anything else I could buy from amazon that would reduce my expenses in other areas.  I've thought about buying dry food items(coffee, cereal, etc) but they seem really expensive compared to the grocery store.  Any ideas?  My other thought was to possibly buy items off amazon and then sell them for cash.  I'm not sure what items to buy that wouldn't lose a lot of their value doing this...

Comments/suggestions welcome!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Converting amazon GC to cash or savings
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
I use them to buy christmas presents early. No stress or deadlines comes the holiday season.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
You probably have friends that spend money on AMZN.  Offer to buy their stuff for them, at a small discount if needed, for cash.   Alternatively sell the cards to a friend at a small discount. 

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
There are GC re-sale sites, but you won't get 100% of the GC's value.

The Christmas gifts sound like a good idea too, but one of the best parts of ordering a gift through amazon is shipping it to the person for free (not sure your loved ones want to actually receive their Christmas gift in July?) If your GCs don't expire, though, you could save them for November / December. Amazon had some awesome sales last year.

I agree with you about their household / grocery prices not being very good.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
You can sell them on eBay, but you have to be very careful of scammers. There is a guide:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/selling-amazon-gift-cards-and-gift-certificates/10000000020899962/g.html

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »
You can buy gift cards to other places on amazon...some of which also sell gift cards.  So you may be able to do something like buy a kohls gift card, then go to kohls and buy a grocery store gift card.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »
https://www.plasticjungle.com buys gift cards.  I too have hundreds of dollars of Amazon dollars, and tend to follow the "purchase there when I can, buy presents there, etc." strategy.

Otherwise, it's not burning a hole in my virtual wallet.  I'm okay with it sitting, rather than buying stuff I don't need, because at some point there will be a more expensive item that I'll need and it'll come in handy.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I never thought about ordering stuff for other people, my parents use amazon a lot.  I'll have to talk to them about it.

amazon does sell other GC but you can not buy them with amazon GC :(

plasticjungle only gives 65% of the value for amazon...

I'll have to check out ebay

vieja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »
I'd like to know how you're earning them if you don't mind sharing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!