Author Topic: Apartment complex now taking credit cards for rent! No Fee! Which cards?  (Read 4351 times)

BiggerFishToFI

• Stubble
Starting this month our apartment complex is taking credit cards for rent and I'm trying to figure out how to get the most of it.

Also we will be getting Southwest Companion passes this month so something that can transfer to that would be nice. But if there is a better deal I'm open to that also.

I want to limit Chase cards for myself because I plan to apply for two cards to get the companion pass come 2020.

Including rent I should be able to put basically all of our expenses on it or 3-4k/month if needed.

Credit rating ~800

Cards we currently have:
Myself:
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Freedom
Chase Amazon
Citi Visa Costco

Spouse:
Southwest Premium
Southwest Plus

Any recommendations?

eliza

• Bristles
Re: Apartment complex now taking credit cards for rent! No Fee! Which cards?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »
Best bet would be churn whichever cards have the best sign up deal at the moment.  I follow doctorofcredit and frequentmiler to try to keep up on this.

Sidenote: If you are keen on doing the two card opening for companion pass in 2020, make sure you know the ins and outs of Chase's 5/24 rule.  (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-524-rule-explained-detail-need-know/)  I'm pretty sure any opened accounts on your credit report count towards the limit, not just Chase cards.

If you aren't chasing a sign-up bonus, I'd figure out what gives you the best bang for your buck on everyday spend - see: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/best-rewards-for-everyday-spend/ 

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
Check the fee. They usually charge you insane fees through some processing company and it ends up not being worth it.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »
Keep in mind for the chase 5/24 rule this is ALL personal cards, even authorized user cards.

You can still sign up for business cards for yourself, otherwise all personal cards should be in your spouse's name only

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 01:21:31 PM »
Given that I don't know you, I'm oddly excited about your situation/opportunity.   For February I would plan on using one the cards you already have while you educate yourself about all the ins-and-outs of credit card churning and set up a recordkeeping system. 

A couple of good websites to read: 

DoctorofCredit. com   He's good because he take not affiliate or referral links from credit card companies.  See especially   https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/   and
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-cards/

The credit card portion of Flyer Talk Forums is a gold mine of info with wikis on each of the major issuers:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-debit-prepaid-card-programs-390/

ThePointsGuy.com has some good info although much of it is buried in hype (makes a ton of money from credit card companies).  The beginners guide is definitely worth reading before you get anymore cards.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/beginners/

You'll need a tracking system (if you don't have one already).  Track at least:  when you applied, when approved, when minimum spend met, when points received, when annual fee due, when you cancel/downgrade.

You'll also want an general plan.  For DH and I we get 5 cards a year combined or a new card every 2-3 months.  That keeps us both a 4/24 or 5/24.  One of us can almost always get a card if a great offer comes along.  That would probably also work for your situation.

Also you'll need to think ahead a bit.  If you're the one wants the Southwest companion pass next, you'll need to plan so that you're below 5/24 when the time comes (see how tracking helps).  If you'll travel enough that having the CSR is "necessary" then you'll want to get your spouse one before you owe an annual fee.  Do a referral for her and you'll get some points (5,000?) when she is approved.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
Okay, to answer your actually question, I think hotel cards are a hole in your current range of cards.  Those I would consider:

Chase IHG.  I think the current offer is 80,000 points for 2K spend in 3 months.  Don't get unless the offer is at least 70,000 points.  This is a keeper.  For $49 annual fee you'll get a one-free-night-anywhere bonus each year when the card renews.

Amex Hilton card.  Previously Hilton has cards with both Amex and Citi.  All are being moved and reconfigured to Amex.  That's effective sometime this month I think.  Look for (and hold out for) a high bonus (~100,000 points). 

Amex SPG.  Current bonus is 25,000 points with a 4K (?) spend within 3 months.  Maybe hold out for a better bonus.  Last year there was a 25,000 points for 4K in 3 months and then an additional 10 points for spend more money within 6 months.  Not only good for hotels, but also great transfer partners.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 03:24:49 PM »
I think the simple answer is that your spouse gets a CSP - annual fee is waived the first year, and that's 50k signup points that can be redeemed via your CSR for the 1.5x value on travel.  Or transfer to Southwest miles to take advantage of Companion Pass. Or simply cashed out for $500.

I wouldn't head out into AMEX or hotel-card land until you are over 5/24, with the possible exception of hotel cards which are restricted by 5/24 (Marriott would be an example)

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 11:19:40 AM »
I think the simple answer is that your spouse gets a CSP - annual fee is waived the first year, and that's 50k signup points that can be redeemed via your CSR for the 1.5x value on travel.  Or transfer to Southwest miles to take advantage of Companion Pass. Or simply cashed out for $500.

I wouldn't head out into AMEX or hotel-card land until you are over 5/24, with the possible exception of hotel cards which are restricted by 5/24 (Marriott would be an example)
ini

CSP would be a good card for spouse to get UNLESS they need/want the benefits of CSR.  Chase now limits individuals to only one Sapphire card at a time so having a CSP precludes getting a CSR until you cancel the CSP. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 03:04:31 PM »

ini

CSP would be a good card for spouse to get UNLESS they need/want the benefits of CSR.  Chase now limits individuals to only one Sapphire card at a time so having a CSP precludes getting a CSR until you cancel the CSP.

Nope. Don't cancel.  You can upgrade the CSP to the CSR later if the spouse really needs the travel benefits.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 04:30:54 PM »
Chase INK preferred or chase INK cash would be good choices. They are business cards, but you can apply as a sole proprietor ‘startup’. Preferred gives 80,000UR for $5000 spend. Cash gives 30,000UR for $3000 spend. Both key as 3x and 5x UR respectively for all spend via Plastiq - which basically negates the 3% CC fee to pay rent / utilities. We pay our rent via plastiq with these cards. Should you go with the cards, be sure to use someone’s (Mine??) Referral link as there is no reason not to! :-)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »
Chase INK preferred or chase INK cash would be good choices. They are business cards, but you can apply as a sole proprietor ‘startup’. Preferred gives 80,000UR for $5000 spend. Cash gives 30,000UR for $3000 spend. Both key as 3x and 5x UR respectively for all spend via Plastiq - which basically negates the 3% CC fee to pay rent / utilities. We pay our rent via plastiq with these cards. Should you go with the cards, be sure to use someone’s (Mine??) Referral link as there is no reason not to! :-)

I had heard that Plastiq triggered bonus points on rent, but not on mortgage.

The reason I didn't use a referral link when I got my Ink was because I'm way over 5/24 and used a preapproval.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 06:18:04 AM »
If you are concerned with the Chase 5/24 rule, I would recommend a business card - they won't affect it. AmEx Delta has a great offer right now that's available through referral only, 50,000 miles after $2,000 spend in three months plus a $50 statement credit (I buy a Delta gift card from their website, never expires). Even better is you get an additional 10,000 miles with an additional $1,000 spend in six months. If it's you and a spouse/SO, you can both sign up for it and end up with 120,000 miles and $100 in Delta gift cards. I know it's not Southwest, but I've always gotten pretty good value out of Delta, too. If you don't own a businees, don't worry - ANY side income can be used. If you occasionally sell stuff on eBay or Facebook, that's enough to count - they're pretty loose on their definition of a business! Like I said earlier, best part is it won't affect your 5/24 status with Chase. There's a referral link in my signature good through the end of January. Full disclosure, I'll get 10,000 miles if you sign up.