Author Topic: Find a new job!  (Read 56366 times)

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
Find a new job!
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
I've been 'job hunting' for a few months, as I'm not happy at my current job.  I'm convinced I could be happier, make cooler stuff (I'm an EE), and make more $$$ elsewhere.  I put 'job hunting' in quotes because I'm procrastinating something fierce.
So, I hereby throw down the gauntlet for myself and others in the same position!  Let's get it done!

I'm thinking the challenge includes sharing what steps we've taken, as well as some encouraging face punches to keep things moving along.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Find a new job!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
hopefully you won't be a pissedoffman when you do get the new job

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »
Nice, Marty!
Good luck on the new endeavor.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »
I am commenting here specifically so I can follow all you badasses as you liberate yourselves. I'm not ready yet, but I want to be inspired. Go for it!

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
I'm quitting in the New Year. I just need to finish the busy season at work, and then I'm going, no matter what. Luckily I have supported the hubby through a couple of lean times, so he is 100% behind me. This is the whole reason for having a stash of F.U. money.  :-D

I am going to take a couple of months off, and then look for something part time. I have a couple of ideas about people I can approach for suitable work, but they know my current employers, so I can't do it until I have handed in my notice. I'm counting down the days.....

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
I'm in! I graduate in May, and I'd like to have a job lined up by then. I have updated my resume, and my goal is to apply for two jobs a week. So I guess I better go do that...

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »
I'm in! I graduate in May, and I'd like to have a job lined up by then. I have updated my resume, and my goal is to apply for two jobs a week. So I guess I better go do that...

That's splendid, Splendid!
I got side tracked for a little bit what with xmas and visitors in town, but I've been kicking out applications again.  I'm currently working on networking and making a sexy LinkedIn profile.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Also in! Tired of my too easy job, ready to look for a real challenge! If anyone is in Chicago & looking for an entry level data or marketing analyst hit me up!

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »
I'm in.  My 2-year anniversary with this firm is coming up and I am in a cul-de-sac, professionally speaking.  The longer I stay, the harder it will be to exit.  Two years from now, it will be next-to-impossible without taking a huge pay cut.

So, time to dig in and change the route of my current path.

Last night, I contacted a head hunter.  As a former teacher, it feels weird to me to now be in a profession (law) where head hunters call me.  I'll have to get used to that.

Today, I renewed my membership with my city's voluntary bar association and signed up for a networking lunch (total cost $228.00).  I'll do the same with another similar organization.

I had lunch yesterday with a partner at another firm whom I've known for years.  She was very helpful and will watch for appropriate job openings.  I have a breakfast set up next week with a partner at yet another firm, and a lunch the week after that with a former colleague who is now at a firm that I'd love to join and practicing a kind of law that I'm very interested in doing.

Goal 1:  Contact at least three people each week to build my network and begin conversations.

Goal 2:  Have resume updated by this weekend.

Goal 3:  Attend every single professional networking event humanly possible over the next 6 months.  Allocate funding as necessary, no matter what.  This needs to be a budget line item.

Overall Goal:  Land a job with a top firm as a full-time litigation associate.  Probable increase in income - 60%.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »
I had an interview today! The job pays exactly the same but I think I'd like it better. Wish me luck:)

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 05:31:55 PM »
I had an interview today! The job pays exactly the same but I think I'd like it better. Wish me luck:)

Congratulations and good luck! How do you think the interview went?

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 05:57:54 PM »
Any updates from this curious challenge?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »
I'm in!

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
Still applying. I'm ashamed to say that I have not applied the last week or two. But I'm working on an application right now. Can I just say that I hate writing cover letters?

So, still working on it, but no interviews (yet!).

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 10:27:24 PM »
Made my LinkedIn profile sexier and more informative, and started *connecting* with a lot more people, whoo!!!!

ashley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 11:31:23 PM »
Did it. Kicked my terrible job in favor of a new one I'm really excited about. I'm in a transition period right now and doing both at the same time, but I'll be fully transitioned in the next week and a half. I'm so ready for that.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »
Did it. Kicked my terrible job in favor of a new one I'm really excited about. I'm in a transition period right now and doing both at the same time, but I'll be fully transitioned in the next week and a half. I'm so ready for that.

YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

Congrats!

What are you going to be doing now?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
Good luck to you all!  MMM helped me to finally find the motivation to change my job last year.  It took me 4 months, and interviews with 3 different places, but I got it done in August.  Cut my commute from a 25 mile drive to a 7.5 mile bike ride.  Booyah!

Here's the best advice I can give you.  Just remember that YOU'RE FUCKING AWESOME!! and approach your interviews the same way.  I completely bombed my first one.  No matter.  I was STILL fucking awesome.  And so are you!

ashley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 11:22:41 PM »

YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

What are you going to be doing now?

Thank you both! I work in the mortgage industry. I'm starting a new brokerage with some awesome people from my old company. We've only been fully functional for the past week or so, and we are already doing well! It's very exciting.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »
I want to join you but it's not just a new job I want.  I want a new career.  I'm not happy with what I've been doing (mostly because it has changed so much since I started 16 years ago) but I don't know what I do want to do.  Other than not work at all, haha.  So...  I'm not even sure what to look for.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 11:40:53 PM »
Well, I graduate from college this summer (loan free!), so I think I am basically required to join your gauntlet..

In immediate news, I have multiple leads from a recent career fair!

kk1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 09:23:57 AM »
Yeah!~! I'm trying to find a new position as well. However I'm encountering a high hurdle because I'm trying to find one overseas.(I'm in the US). Australia, Japan, Europe, Asia. I speak Cantonese, chinese so that may help.

My current job is in a specialty department and I moved up the ranks to get to it. But I was informed end of last year(right before Xmas!!!) that our department will be obsorbed into the bigger department(my previous job...) So essentially I'm being demoted without a paycut but what I know what's done in my specialty department is very much needed still so I'm suppose to teach newbies of what I know... Arghh... and without a pay raise...

New Job/New Career: Business Analyst, Financial Analyst, Consulting, banking

Plan A: International job
Plan B: National job(I'm open to moving, currently in Austin TX. If the job in Texas, I like Austin though)
Plan C: New Job in Austin TX different company
Plan D1: Find higher position in same company
Plan D2: Find position in oppositing side/a law firm(I deal with law firms in my current job)
Plan D2: Go back to my previous job

If anyone knows of jobs in the finance industry, I know it's big industry, but I'm willing to start fresh career. Please let me know.

And by the way, the company that I'm working for is also hiring soon in varies places. FYI. PM me, may be exchange LinkedIn?

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »

Congratulations and good luck! How do you think the interview went?

I got the job and start in March 2nd! I just turned in my resignation, feels good but kinda scary. Like I said, same money (and same commute) but I think it will be more interesting. And least I didn't take a pay cut for quality of life right?

serhomeslice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI or die...
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 09:59:36 AM »
Count me in. If I can find a job within 5 miles and bike,  I'll save $13k per year. First, freedom to work the job of my choice, then FI baby!!

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
Missed this thread when it was first posted but I'm in too, thanks for starting it somepissedoffman! And congratulations to those of you who've already nailed it! Quit my job in the fall, and kind of coasted through the end of the year as a little sabbatical since not as much hiring happens then anyway. Been attacking the search a lot more seriously since January though and hope to land something great soon!

My current dilemma: there's a great sounding company that keeps popping up on my radar, has an opening that would fit my qualifications perfectly, and one of my close friends/former colleagues now works there and could help make sure they at least consider my resume. The hitch? It's a ~40 mile commute that on a good day in perfect conditions would take 45 minutes, in reality most days probably closer to an hour and a half or even 2. No good way to take transit and at least have my hands and brain free for the commute time. Do I apply anyway, to hopefully get a chance to dust off my interview skills and see how bad the drive feels? I haven't been hearing back from any of my applications thus far so it would be nice to get a "win" but I don't want to waste their time and mine if the commute will be a deal-breaker. I haven't had to commute more than 10 miles by car in years...

kk1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 01:39:56 PM »
Missed this thread when it was first posted but I'm in too, thanks for starting it somepissedoffman! And congratulations to those of you who've already nailed it! Quit my job in the fall, and kind of coasted through the end of the year as a little sabbatical since not as much hiring happens then anyway. Been attacking the search a lot more seriously since January though and hope to land something great soon!

My current dilemma: there's a great sounding company that keeps popping up on my radar, has an opening that would fit my qualifications perfectly, and one of my close friends/former colleagues now works there and could help make sure they at least consider my resume. The hitch? It's a ~40 mile commute that on a good day in perfect conditions would take 45 minutes, in reality most days probably closer to an hour and a half or even 2. No good way to take transit and at least have my hands and brain free for the commute time. Do I apply anyway, to hopefully get a chance to dust off my interview skills and see how bad the drive feels? I haven't been hearing back from any of my applications thus far so it would be nice to get a "win" but I don't want to waste their time and mine if the commute will be a deal-breaker. I haven't had to commute more than 10 miles by car in years...

I think you should apply anyway. Like you said probably good to practice the interview skills. What's the worse? Say they say no? Also like you said, you need a win. It makes a difference when you know you are wanted by companies!!

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 07:18:34 PM »
First post here... Looking for a new job right now as well! Love where I work, but my job doesn't line up well with my skill set. Also looking for a bit more money to help pay of student loans (currently working at a nonprofit). Will keep the group updated.

Happy interviewing!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 08:17:42 AM »
Found a promising position w/an organization where I volunteered for several years...only to learn that they were filling it by moving people laterally within the company & hiring for a position that I'm not interested in. Feeling a little down about that one. But, I did have a helpful convo this weekend with a person I volunteer with who works in my field of interest. Little by little...

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »
Found a promising position w/an organization where I volunteered for several years...only to learn that they were filling it by moving people laterally within the company & hiring for a position that I'm not interested in. Feeling a little down about that one. But, I did have a helpful convo this weekend with a person I volunteer with who works in my field of interest. Little by little...

That stinks, but hang in there! Eventually the networking will pay off. And keep in mind this kind and helpful advice from earlier in the thread:

Here's the best advice I can give you.  Just remember that YOU'RE FUCKING AWESOME!! and approach your interviews the same way.  I completely bombed my first one.  No matter.  I was STILL fucking awesome.  And so are you!

I'm trying to remember that myself... just scheduled my first phone interview, which is great to finally hear back from somewhere but at the same time more than a little scary. (Doesn't help that I've gotten a little hermit-like in my unemployment and haven't spoken much to any strangers recently, much less in clutch situations!) But, I'm awesome so it's all good! Thanks Eric. :)

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 11:04:51 AM »
How's everyone doing with their job hunting?

-I have a ride-along scheduled next week for a sales job I applied for. Should be the last step in the application process
-Applied for an international posting with my current organization. Not sure if it's what is the right next step, but figured interviewing can only help!
-Had someone reach out to me on linked in asking if I was interested in a position, having a conversation with them on Monday
-Have other applications in.

senorpanqueque

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »
Quit my job about a week and a half ago due to unexpected health problems that resulted from the job that was starting to affect my new marriage (anxiety, headaches, not eating, sleeping). Was quite disappointing because I thought the job was a perfect introduction into what I maybe wanted to do as a career (finance), and as well, the wife and I were starting to make huge headway on our financial goals, and now we're back to just staying even for now.

Been searching for shorter-term positions (planning to move back home in September), but haven't found much yet.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
How's everyone doing with their job hunting?

-Did my first in-person interview (of my current round of job hunting) yesterday, which seemed to go well on both sides
-On getting back outside after the interview, discovered a voicemail for a phone screen for another position
-Still have several other applications pending, although many are places I applied in response to online job listings with no contacts or anything so I'm not holding my breath... Seem to be getting much better response to the things I'm finding through my network, which I suppose is to be expected.

Hang in there everybody, it's worth it!!

And to Senorpanqueque, that's a tough decision you made, but congratulations on putting yourself and your marriage first! I was in a similar boat when I quit, and although it's a bummer to slow down your financial progress, I can tell you now it is amazing how much better you will feel. (Especially since you're still at least breaking even, so you aren't adding debt stress to replace the job stress). The hardest part for me is remembering to enjoy and take advantage of the break, when it's easy to waste the time or obsess over hunting for the next job!

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »
Keep up the work, KS! Awesome to hear about the progress!

I had a ride-along as part of the interview process today. Essentially spend the day with someone else doing the job I am applying for. I was told the other day they're going to fly me to their HQ for one final interview. Hoping i get the job! It would be around 2x my current salary!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »
Wow, that's impressive!  I wish I even knew of a job I could apply for that pays twice my current salary.  There are jobs out there that do, for sure, but I'm not qualified for them.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »
Wow, that's impressive!  I wish I even knew of a job I could apply for that pays twice my current salary.  There are jobs out there that do, for sure, but I'm not qualified for them.

+1 to this, it took me years to double my salary, it would be amazing to do it in one job change! If they are flying you to HQ it sounds like your chances are probably pretty good of getting it, too.

And I received and accepted an offer yesterday, woohoo! It's a temporary position to start so I'll still be partially in this gauntlet in case they can't afford to convert me to permanent at some point, but I'm excited to dive back in and have an interesting job where I'm learning new things again, and in a much saner and more awesome corporate culture than my last job too. Although I do have to say, my hiatus from the working world has been pretty nice, so I'm sure I'll occasionally miss having all my time to spend as I like!

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »
Thanks KS & Freckle - Part of it is that I currently work at a nonprofit so my current salary is definitely on the lower end. But this position just pays really well: solid base salary + commission + company vehicle. I am really hoping it works out. It would enable me to pay off my student loans and live a more generous lifestyle!

KS - Awesome! Culture is so important in an organization. My best to you as you start the job!

+1 to this, it took me years to double my salary, it would be amazing to do it in one job change! If they are flying you to HQ it sounds like your chances are probably pretty good of getting it, too.

And I received and accepted an offer yesterday, woohoo! It's a temporary position to start so I'll still be partially in this gauntlet in case they can't afford to convert me to permanent at some point, but I'm excited to dive back in and have an interesting job where I'm learning new things again, and in a much saner and more awesome corporate culture than my last job too. Although I do have to say, my hiatus from the working world has been pretty nice, so I'm sure I'll occasionally miss having all my time to spend as I like!

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »
Congrats KS and Stachintraining. Excellent news!

I'm still plugging along. I'm redoing my resume according to some industry specific stuff I found, so hopefully that will help. I graduate in May, so I don't yet have my license in the field I'm applying in. I don't know if that's a problem. Ah well, I'll keep sending in applications.

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
Sitting in the airport after my in person interview and I think it went really well!

Should have an update by the end of the week for my fellow staches!

How's everyone else's job search?

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
Someone at my volunteer site on Saturday mentioned they were hiring for a hard to fill entry level accountant position. I assume that means it doesn't pay much, but since I don't have an accounting degree, I'd be willing to take a little less than market rate to get my foot in the door. I applied that night & they called me today!! to schedule an interview for Friday. Totally jazzed. But also freaking out because I lied to my boss about what I was doing that day in order to go to the interview & now I fee like a jerk. Ahhh have to stop over analyzing. I feel like I'm on speed right now or something.

Investing4Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »
I missed this when it was first posted, but count me in on this.  I'm currently working over 30 miles from home (I hate the ~$200/month gas alone costs, and no, there is no public transit) in a job that is boring and keeps displaying a complete lack of opportunity to advance myself at, both in compensation and in responsibility/type of work.  The other day I was actually told that I do great work and don't need to do more or better work, I just need to stay in the office longer so that the right people think I am good at my job.  I think I threw up a little in my mouth.  I do have an interview coming up in a couple of weeks at a different company much closer to home!

Congrats to everyone that has been successful so far, and keep trying if you have not!

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
Woohoo great news Stacheintraining and mlipps!

The other day I was actually told that I do great work and don't need to do more or better work, I just need to stay in the office longer so that the right people think I am good at my job.

This makes me crazy... it was among the reasons my last company was so frustrating. Good luck getting out of there!

I'm in week 2 of the new job, it's an adjustment being at work again (you mean I don't get to stay in my PJs or sweatpants and do whatever I want all day?? bummer...) but already I can tell it will be a huge improvement over my last situation! Keep up your hard work folks, it's worth the effort!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 09:41:47 AM »
Glad I saw this today!  I've just made the decision to take a buyout that's being offered at work, it will pay me 6 month's in salary plus 6 months of health insurance.

I went back to school, have a shiny new-ish degree, and have been planning on changing careers.  So I view this as the kick in the pants that I've been needing.

Next steps for me are jazzing up my LinkedIn profile, making my resume awesome, contacting recruiters, and starting to apply!  I'm so excited!

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2014, 09:08:52 AM »
Glad I saw this today!  I've just made the decision to take a buyout that's being offered at work, it will pay me 6 month's in salary plus 6 months of health insurance.

I went back to school, have a shiny new-ish degree, and have been planning on changing careers.  So I view this as the kick in the pants that I've been needing.

Next steps for me are jazzing up my LinkedIn profile, making my resume awesome, contacting recruiters, and starting to apply!  I'm so excited!

Congrats, nothing like a "kick in the pants" that acts more along the lines of a chauffeur waiting to escort you to your new life.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2014, 06:35:26 PM »
Been a while since I updated ya'll.  My girlfriend got an offer for a fancy shmancy gig in LA starting late summer, so I actually started looking up there rather than down here.  It's a pretty hard reset on the job search, but I am optimistic.

Carry on with your badassity, my friends.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
Well I've been half-heartedly looking for a new job for a bit, for various reasons - I think I can make more $, I'm bored, lack of a possibility for advancement - but recently this has been kicked into overdrive. The stress and drama going on is making me a CRAZY person, and while I keep my nose out of it as much as possible, there's only so much you can do in a small office. I know most workplaces - if not all - have their own drama to some extent, but this is getting seriously out of hand. Time for a different brand of drama, if nothing else!

Oh, plus the office is moving further away from my house sometime in June. I was planning to work my way up to bike commuting, but that won't be possible once the move happens. So I have a good timeline to aim for.

Anyway, here I go. Wish me luck!

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
Well.. Today I was dealt a big blow. The dream job fell through... apparently they decided to "postpone the training class". I should be hearing back from another job in the next couple days. Still a good opportunity, but a lot lower pay and would be a 20 mile commute each way.

How are the searches going for everyone else?

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »
I havent heard anything back yet.  I am going to start filling out new apps soon

roboto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:51 AM »
This is an awesome gauntlet. I'm in!

Been contemplating a few options (lateral department/company swap, college, take a few months off to travel then a new job).. I am leaning towards the last one at the moment..

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
So I kind of succeeded but kind of not.  I managed to get myself transferred to a new site, starting in August.  Same employer, same job, but different location and immediate supervisor and coworkers and such.  Exact same distance from home, actually, although in a different direction.  It's not a new job and I still want to make a change, but until I know to what, there's this.  I am happy about it because although I enjoy my current coworkers, I really really really don't enjoy my current supervisor.  So yea for me?

How do you figure out what to do if you don't want to do what you've done but you don't know what else to do?  Any ideas?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!