Author Topic: Find a new job!  (Read 56344 times)

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Find a new job!
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2016, 09:53:04 AM »
Just curious, of those of you planning to switch jobs, what is your FU money like right now? I'm contemplating making a change in the next year or so, but my 'stache hasn't hit 6 figures yet. I've got a good gig where I am with tons of vacation time, matching and other great benefits, but I'm burned out and bored. I'd really like to do a completely different job, but just not sure what that is yet and don't feel secure making a change with such a low NW.
Disclaimer: I'm in Germany so I assume a different social welfare sitaution than you.
Short answer: I only had one month's worth of expenses saved when I finished work.

It's a year since I posted on this thread. I finished up work at the end of October, turns out the last few months were so busy and stressful that looking for a job more or less didn't happen. I wasn't even invited for an interview for the music college job (seems like it might have been one of those they have to advertise but they're giving it to someone internal anyway). Anyway, totally contrary to most advice I only had about one month's worth of expenses when I left my job. But I had stayed long enough that I was entitled to get the annual bonus, paid out at the end of November. Along with the holidays and overtime that was paid out at the same time, that gave me another month. So now I only had one month to cover before unemployment would kick in (three-month exclusion period because I quit rather than being fired).

I had thought finding temp work would be easy enough but it turns out the things I thought would make it easy (well qualified, loads of experience), were what made people turn my CV down - I didn't feel like the agency really did a good job of selling me in that respect. I did get several offers for interviews for permanent jobs but basically for the same type of situation I had just left and had no interest in returning to. I was able to get some translating work though, so it felt like my sideline was going to maybe go well. And then in December I landed a whopper contract that ran into January and basically gave me my last month's expenses before unemployment kicked in. I had worked on getting my expenses down as much as possible and the amount I was entitled to per month was just about what I'd figured on needing.  I kept on translating on the side (some months only earning a couple of hundred), making sure not to fall foul of the regulations on how many hours I could work while still being officially unemployed but actually it was a big pain in the neck and definitely not financially advantageous for me. Basically anything I earned over 165 was deducted from my unemployment money so I was spending time working but not really gaining financially, especially if I reckon in the extra time I had to devote to filling out forms upon forms upon forms. Still, it was important for other reasons as I was building up contacts and gaining experience.

And that became much more important when I finally did get a new job as it's only a part-time (20 hours a week) job. And, as expected since I've moved into working for the state, paying less than half of what I used to earn as well. Now I really need the translation work to be able to buy anything that doesn't fall under the rent and monthly bills category. So far, it's working out. I got my first salary paid from my main job at the end of June and at just under 1,000 net it's enough to pay rent and monthly bills and actually leave me enough to buy basic foodstuffs, too. Might have a boring diet if I ever have a month with so side income but it's not so little that it'd be unhealthy. And even though it's only a two-year contract and I spent a fortune moving, I am bascially working in my dream job now and absolutely loving it! I do have a longer commute than before (essentially an hour door to door) but I'm also loving the little town I'm living in and am very happy I'm here rather than in Heidelberg city. One of the things that totally blows my mind is how reasonable my current employer is in comparison to the last one. I have to work 20 hours a week and, apart from any meetings that are scheduled, it is entirely up to me how I spread those hours over the week. A longer commute (which I try to think of as more time for reading :-) ) isn't as bad when you don't have to do it every day. And I can change my mind on the day whether or not I'm going in to work or not. For example, a couple of weeks ago I got an urgent translation in on a Wednesday evening but I was able to just email my boss and tell her I was staying home on Thursday and would work on Friday instead. Actually, I asked and she seemed surprised I'd even thought to tell her, never mind thought I'd need permission. It's just so great. I'm just still trying to get used to being treated like a grown-up.

So now the next job search is to try and get my position changed from temporary two-year to a permanent one. Or to find a different permanent position in a different department of the university. Only working a 50% job gives me lots more flexibility for that search, too. I may never FIRE but realistically I probably wasn't ever going to do that anyway. What I had thought I might get to was enough of a stash to be able to switch to only working half-time by age 50 or so and then maybe retiring three or four years earlier than statutory retirement age. I may be broke but I already feel like I'm nearly ten years ahead of that game! :-)

FITortoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2016, 07:23:10 AM »
I'm somewhat procrastinating too. But leaving my current job is becoming imminently clear to the only choice. Have people looked for jobs across the country? (Coast to coast) what was your experience, and any tips to share? Thanks!

Need some motivation + encouragement or tips please. I am meeting people, looking online, and submitting an application here and there where they look interesting. But want an offer soon......

Yeah, I'm trying  a cross country move as well.  I've called recruiters in the area and tried to line up informational interviews, but nobody's responding.  I'll try some industry meetups when I'm visiting, but I can't help but feel like I've been blackballed or something. :/

Except for the cross country move I'm in the same boat you are. Maybe try some cold calls? That worked for me in the past when I was just getting my career started. I'm planning on doing it again.

Anyway, you are not alone.

How're things going, Ron?

In the month of July, some internal groups have approached me with opportunities. I'm going through interviews now. As such, my efforts of external search have slowed down. Need a slap!

Gardo

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2016, 04:55:37 PM »
I was job hunting this year and started 8/1 on my new job.  Yesterday was my first meeting to meet the boss of my boss and so far, got affirmations of the culture, which is a main reason for my choosing them.  Hope it is a start of a great new chapter in life. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2016, 05:14:04 PM »
In the time since I last posted, I've had a couple of interviews. No offers though. I did talk to one recruiter who turned me down and asked for feedback on how I can improve. She graciously offered to talk to me, but she'll be out of town for a few weeks. I have to remember to follow up on that.

I'd be lying if I said job hunting isn't a demoralizing experience that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy's dog. I'm trying to stay upbeat, but Lord knows that's hard.

I've expanded my job outreach to the private sector and recently applied for a job with YNAB. They get points for sending a polite response and having a user-friendly job application process. If anyone has any other tips for where I should look, I'd love to hear them.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2016, 05:41:43 PM »
In the time since I last posted, I've had a couple of interviews. No offers though. I did talk to one recruiter who turned me down and asked for feedback on how I can improve. She graciously offered to talk to me, but she'll be out of town for a few weeks. I have to remember to follow up on that.

I'd be lying if I said job hunting isn't a demoralizing experience that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy's dog. I'm trying to stay upbeat, but Lord knows that's hard.

I've expanded my job outreach to the private sector and recently applied for a job with YNAB. They get points for sending a polite response and having a user-friendly job application process. If anyone has any other tips for where I should look, I'd love to hear them.
Not tips on where to look, but on interviewing.  Join a Toastmasters club, then volunteer to speak every meeting!  Particularly the impromptu speaking.  Just practicing speaking off the cuff to people who will critique, but not criticize, is super super helpful.  Do you have a verbal tic?  Do you breath funny?  Do you freak out?  This will help!

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2016, 06:45:07 PM »
I am in for the challenge. Been wanting to do this for years, but now that finally I have my baby and I am done with my surgery, I will be on this full time(after work and raising an infant :)).

I have 2 calls from recruiters. One of them is the hottest firms to work for in my industry,tech. So I am really pumped. But even if that doesn't work out, I will keep moving ahead with full force.

All the best to all of us. We can do anything that we really set our minds to!

AK

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
After many years of talking about starting my own biz, I finally did it and am now a freelance developer. I told my boss back in May about my plans and gave him my soft notice of the summer. In July, I said my last day was August 5th without having any clients lined up expecting my employer to be my first client. After a couple weeks, they said they couldn't bring me on because business was slow so my search for other clients started seriously after that. I am happy to report that I have 2 contracts now and another one pending. It seems that my services are highly sought after so I will have to be more selective in the jobs taken or perhaps hire people.

So far things are going way better than expected. Have faith that things will work out and they do. Also, thanks everyone for inspiring me to take the plunge and chase a lifelong dream!

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2016, 10:00:37 PM »
Join a Toastmasters club, then volunteer to speak every meeting!  Particularly the impromptu speaking.
This. I join every time I jobhunt because it is great practice at the type of speaking that gets you a job, which incidentally is not the kind of speaking that I do for my job, so I benefit a lot from a few sessions. My intention is always to keep going, but then I move for the new job and never quite get around to joining again.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2016, 10:06:50 PM »
After many years of talking about starting my own biz, I finally did it and am now a freelance developer.
This, too. Congratulations. I want to go this route in the near future and downshift earlier; I may never be quite bold enough to take the plunge. You have left a excellent trail of Q&A over the forums!

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2016, 10:14:03 PM »
Two things:
1. Anecdotally, the typical job hunt goes like this: REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION, OFFER, OFFER, OFFER.
2. I recommend getting "What Color Is Your Parachute?" from the library. I found it much easier to stay positive after reading (and acting on) the advice in this book.

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2016, 09:05:44 PM »
Looks like I lost the first lead I had. On a positive note, I completed my resume and got it reviewed as well.
Need to start applying soon and studying really hard. Its really hard to stay focussed with an infant at home  especially when recovering from surgery.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2016, 10:11:56 PM »
I'm a little over a month into my 90 day sprint to a new job. In keeping with the spirit of throwing down the gauntlet and accountability, here is my update:
* Goal was four applications; made two applications; fail
* #1 application was a dead end
* #2 application yielded an open-ended project test, which has used up some of the time for making applications
* A company at which I had an informational interview with six months ago called me up out of nowhere, and I'm now exploring what they have to offer
* A recruiter with a large tech company called me and I'm through to the technical weed-out round
This is a huge positive improvement from when I had 0-3 years of work experience. I'm sure it's helped by the economy being in a much better place than when I started out, too.

Next:
* This weekend I will complete the project for the interview and apply to two other positions that according to LinkedIn I will be in the top 25% of applicants.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2016, 08:17:24 AM »

I'll join in myself.  I'm from Tyler!  Do you have any immediate and manageable goals there Philo?  You have to have some or else this probably won't work...

Where I'm at:

Decent job at a Metal Building Company.  Horrible commute, 56 miles EACH WAY.  Yes I know I deserve a punch-in-the-face-right-now for such a stupid commute over the last four years.  Really looking for a lifestyle change and am connected to Tyler because of family/friends/church family that we don't want to move away from. 
I have had 2 interviews, both through head hunters.  First interview went really well.  Start-up company.  They decided to go a different route with a cheaper option that had significantly less experience (even though they were well into the diminishing returns and needed additional production NOW, without a buffer for the other guy's learning curve).  Probably for the best that I didn't get that job.  Second job interview went really well but was two weeks ago and I'm waiting on a definitive answers (they had other interviews to conduct).

As such, goals are as follows (and feel free to question whether I get it done or not):

1. Reach out to at least 4 other companies with pain-letters, visits or cold-emails by August ( <--- online portals are now officially BS and not to be used by me any more unless it can be completed in less than thirty seconds).
2. Eliminate as much waste from my life right now as is possible.  Primarily getting rid of excess spending like restaurants and fast food.
3. Write up and initialize a plan to get rid of the dept and start to alter the lifestyle.

#1 was completed but no results just yet.
#2 was completed!  :)
#3 was completed and is in full force at my house! :D

AK

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »
Quote from: AK on August 10, 2016, 06:47:31 PM
After many years of talking about starting my own biz, I finally did it and am now a freelance developer.
This, too. Congratulations. I want to go this route in the near future and downshift earlier; I may never be quite bold enough to take the plunge. You have left a excellent trail of Q&A over the forums!

Start slow with a side-gig and then see how it goes. My primary reason for going all-in was not enough time for a full-time job, family and a side gig. I can do 2 out of 3. What helped me was having a few years of expenses saved and having a reasonable amount of confidence I could find work within a month or so. I lucked out and have work already :)   Going back to work as a full-timer is an option.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll assist where I can.

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2016, 12:33:01 PM »
How're things going, Ron?

Got my portfolio site up and running for graphic design/web development, though I'm probably going to rebuild it in Bootstrap.  Visited Portland, OR to scout the place out and network.  I definitely want to go out that way, though from the people I talked to seemed to indicate, I'd be better off being there and job hunting than hunting from home unless I can do something so incredible that companies would want to poach me from out of state rather than hire off the code bootcamp pipeline. 

So right now I'm thinking of moving in March.  I'd have $15-20k in the bank, have two years experience at my current workplace, and I'm working on doing projects on freecodecamp and I expect to be finished with at least the Front End Development certificate by then.  I'll talk to recruiters in the area closer to my move date and start applying for stuff in January maybe.  Beyond that, I have no real plans on what I'll do when I get there.  Hopefully I don't chicken out or second guess myself, but I keep saying I'll do it so I'm hoping I follow through.

Interviewed with a local newspaper for a part time job to maybe build up savings faster.  Unfortunately, their work hours are at the same time as my current workplace and the same pay, but part time.  If it wasn't for that the interviewer would have probably hired me on the spot. 

FITortoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2016, 06:27:26 AM »
@RonMcCord

Congrats, that's a lot of progress. Having a plan/goals to work towards is awesome, which you do. Stay encouraged!

Can the newspaper shift hours?

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2016, 03:26:44 PM »
@RonMcCord

Congrats, that's a lot of progress. Having a plan/goals to work towards is awesome, which you do. Stay encouraged!

Can the newspaper shift hours?

No.  They work standard 9-5 hours with Wednesdays off, and they found someone to fill the position already.  I might put in for some part-time work elsewhere, though I should maybe consider if the extra cash is worth the tradeoff for less time to work on coding and stuff. 

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2016, 04:07:13 PM »
Cleared one technical interview and I have been invited onsite. Another technical phone interview on the way. Need to prepare as hard as I can!
I'm a little over a month into my 90 day sprint to a new job. In keeping with the spirit of throwing down the gauntlet and accountability, here is my update:
* Goal was four applications; made two applications; fail
* #1 application was a dead end
* #2 application yielded an open-ended project test, which has used up some of the time for making applications
* A company at which I had an informational interview with six months ago called me up out of nowhere, and I'm now exploring what they have to offer
* A recruiter with a large tech company called me and I'm through to the technical weed-out round
This is a huge positive improvement from when I had 0-3 years of work experience. I'm sure it's helped by the economy being in a much better place than when I started out, too.

Next:
* This weekend I will complete the project for the interview and apply to two other positions that according to LinkedIn I will be in the top 25% of applicants.

Do Linkedin applications for tech jobs work? I have applied but so far haven't seen any positive results.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2016, 03:07:35 PM »
Do Linkedin applications for tech jobs work? I have applied but so far haven't seen any positive results.
One of my friends spent an hour a morning applying only on LinkedIn and had a job in few months as a Software Product Manager.

My theory is that a company posting on LinkedIn is at a certain level of pain, so if I see that there are 10 applicants and I'm in the top 25%, those are reasonable odds. I haven't done any LinkedIn applications just yet because I have been prioritizing incoming recruiters, which I imagine is indicative of an even greater pain level by the employer.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »
I up and quit my job recently.  Decided I wanted a break, have enough cash for about 6 months of unemployment.  I was actually looking forward to a long stint of lazing about, but I got an offer at 3 weeks for the same as what I made before, though at a better place.  Turned it down though because the work didn't seem that interesting(might have taken if they had made a better offer).  I have two places that are getting back to me on Monday/Tuesday, I think both are a relatively good bet that I will get an offer.

I also already got a part time job that I'm really excited about.  It pays $40 an hour (as an Independant Contractor, so really more like 32) and I start next Sunday with 5 hours of work.  They assign me as many clients as I can take and then it's my job to find a time for them and all that, so hours are pretty open ended.  So I can get another job and do that for 10-20 hours a week, or I can do this job for 20-25 hours and make more than enough to live off of and still retire in about 15 years(back from 7ish with full time work).  Now I just have to decide what the break point is where it's worth it to take full time work.  I told one of them a number that (I think) is really high.  If they say yes, I'll be making bank, if they say no, I don't care because I can do my awesome high paying part time job instead!

I think quitting was a great decision (easy to say in hindsight), but it gave me time to focus on the job hunt and considering the high demand for my skills it seems like a low risk that worked out. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:53:32 PM by druth »

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2016, 07:10:41 AM »
After 26 years of corporate BS, I'm also looking "to" some new things.  I just hate "the ladder", phony suck ups and back biting among my peers to score "points" so career stagnation has resulted...   So... Less money may result...   Fine!   My stache is solid.   And my experience has been true passion in work (for a cause I MUST believe in) usually leads to more financial reward.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:24:27 AM by indentured4now »

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »
I finally found a new job. It pays double my current salary and it a huge step forward for me. I love the company and its products but it is known for having a tough work environment. I hope to sustain for 4 years :)

To all the others still looking, keep your chin up and do not get bogged by rejections. I was rejected by a couple of less desirable companies before I got this offer. Also remember, no pain, no gain!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2016, 09:23:10 AM »
I've set a goal of getting a new job in 2017, so I guess I'm here too. So far I've updated my LinkedIn and had a couple of trusted friends look at it and give suggestions of how to improve it. My biggest hurdle so far (aside from motivation) is that I'm limiting my search to my current city. I might expand it to my nearby geographic area, but even though we've casually talked about the possibility of moving that would mean my husband also having to find a new job, selling the house, etc. Since I'm limiting my search to my city and I'm looking for jobs that suit my skills and experience level, I don't know if I'm going to see a lot of options to even apply for.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2016, 07:24:34 PM »
After almost a year of searching, I signed an official job offer letter. Starting Jan. 2, I will be a Grant Coordinator!

Everyone, thank you for your kind words and encouragement. It's been a bumpy, depressing road. If you are still looking then I have deep sympathy.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »
I started looking in Oct.  I've seen my dept. turnover 150% in the last 8 years due to shitty culture and I'm done.  Time to move on.  I've had three interviews, one second interview (unsuccessful), one I declined because they pulled a bait and switch w/ the salary to the tune of 20k and one company that cut the job (nobody hired).  The last hook in the water is a company for which I have a 2nd interview on the 14th.  I REALLY want this one.  A chance to start a department and build it from the ground up.  Also, b/c I'm tired of hunting.  In my field, the interviews are ALL day with me usually having to present a 2-4 hour workshop to a group of execs.  Ugh.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »
For those of you who are looking in a specific geographic region (like the city you already live in), how often are you seeing something worth applying to? I'd say that's the part I'm not looking forward to but really all of job hunting is the part I'm not looking forward to. But as I have more experience and a higher paycheck, I'm pickier about what I'm willing to consider applying for.

BORN SAVER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2016, 05:26:10 AM »
I switched jobs and couldn't be happier. I was constantly stressed out before.now I have zero stress from my job I work about 25% less. I current in a month from now I'll start earning bonus and will me making more then I did at my old job. It was the best deviation I ever made. Also I get to work for my 2 dream company's now solarcity and Tessa. It's a win in every catagory.

BORN SAVER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2016, 05:27:49 AM »
Tesla I mean

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
I've been at my new job for almost a year, and today interviewed for a better position in the company, even if I don't get it I did great in the interview!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!