Author Topic: I invested all my net severance pay  (Read 1771 times)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
I invested all my net severance pay
« on: May 11, 2024, 08:20:32 AM »
I got laid off from my old job at the end of last year. I've been investing $1,000 per week since the beginning of the year and did a Roth contribution. I just got my last severance check this week. I looked at my total net pay for the year and every penny that hit my checking account from my old company has gone to index funds.

I got a new job after about 5 weeks. I took a little risk by investing so aggressively with my severance while I didn't have a job lined up, but it all worked out. I had enough money in savings to cover all my bills. It felt good taking that money for doing nothing and putting it into something productive.

I'm hoping if I ever get laid off again, I can just use that as my cue to exit the software mines and retire.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: I invested all my net severance pay
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 10:20:26 AM »
Congratulations!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 05:32:21 AM »
Thanks! The stuff I learned here helped me get my spending and ideas about money under control. If nothing else, I learned how to manage a windfall. If this had happened 10 years ago, I would have probably bought more consumer junk with my extra money.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 06:45:03 AM »
You've really done well. Thanks for sharing.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 08:42:44 AM »
I'm impressed that you resisted the temptation to use *any* of it for a splurge!