Author Topic: Amazon Chase credit card fees  (Read 8835 times)

suzanneseale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Amazon Chase credit card fees
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
Today I cancelled my Amazon Chase credit card. It was the final straw when they charged me $35 late fee for $85 in purchases. I called to say I paid online and was 1 hour and 15 minutes over the due date deadline they set at 8pm at night. It showed posting the following day.
I immediately wrote to customer service and the next day called. They told me that since they had reversed a late fee once before, I was not eligible for another reversal even though I was on vacation and I was only 75 minutes late. I told Chase I would not pay the late fee.
I have not yet decided what to do. I have excellent credit so I could get another credit card with rewards and an initial bonus for signing up. Or I could use a debit card since I barely get any interest at the bank. I could also try using paypal more often and of course cash.
Any suggestions. I pay my credit card off every month.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
Re: Amazon Chase credit card fees
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
I'd say get another credit card, just for the cash-back rewards.  Though I did get something from my credit union the other day, offering cash-back on a debit card.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »
You were late. Pay the fee and be on time next time. That $35 charge isn't their fault at all. Not paying and switching cards is not going to help your credit. Pay the fee and move on.

I tend to use Paypal and have an debit account tied to Amazon. I used a CC for business purposes that is paid off every month too. No fee's since I pay on time. :P

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
You were late. Pay the fee and be on time next time. That $35 charge isn't their fault at all. Not paying and switching cards is not going to help your credit. Pay the fee and move on.

This.

There's a saying "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades" and you were close, but not on time. You are in the wrong here. They removed charges a previous time as a courtesy for you - they didn't have to do that even one time. Having this happen again just shows that you need to be much more vigilant about paying your bills on time. See it as a life lesson, pay the fee and figure out a system to make sure you don't ever go past your deadlines again.

And I had that happen a few years ago... I felt like an idiot when I realized I'd forgotten, but I paid the late fee and set up reminders on my computer to alert me to pay so I didn't make that mistake again. I also pay in full each month and all I can say is that sometimes it happens.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:08:05 PM by Frankies Girl »

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
I told Chase I would not pay the late fee.

This is worrisome.  This is money that you owe Chase.  If you don't pay it, it'll become a significant black mark on your credit report.  You have every right to take your business elsewhere and get another card, but pay the late fee.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
To their "credit" (pun not intended, seriously), Chase lets you set up automatic payments for credit cards so you're never late. I have my Amazon VISA set up this way along with most of my credit cards, because it's easy to forget one when you have lots of them.

The only one I can't set up to pay automatically is my Bank of America card. Their payment system doesn't give me an option to automatically pay off the statement balance every cycle, although if I wanted to I could set it up to make the minimum payment (guarantees I avoid late fees), then I could do a manual payment for the rest of the balance. In fact, I think I'll do that this month, it's a good use of my time...

ghaynes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »
Not sure how anyone can be late nowadays with the autopay services credit card companies offer now. All of my cards are set to autopay in full before the due date. I now never need to login and pay the balance. It's all done automagically. Never had any issues with this service.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
late fees suck, but they are part of the deal. you were late. you owe the fee.
if you have the money to pay your bills, make sure you pay them before they are late.
problem solved.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:03:41 PM »
I'm too much of a control freak for auto pay. I do love online banking though. I've probably saved a $1000 in stamps in my lifetime.

bomgd3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »
Lol this is not badass

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »
I'm too much of a control freak for auto pay. I do love online banking though. I've probably saved a $1000 in stamps in my lifetime.
What are these "stamps" you speak of?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
This should be in Antimustachian wall of comedy, not share your badassity.

Pay your bills on time.