Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 614860 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #1050 on: January 02, 2020, 11:45:17 AM »
Randomly unusual spellings bug the hell out of me. A name should be easy to spell and to pronounce - either because it's common or at least familiar to most people, or if you want something a bit different at least make it short and reasonably phonetic so people can learn it quickly. Something like Bartholomew is not common and quite long, but I would not expect people in general to struggle to spell it because it's a standard recognised name. But Barrthulahmoo (*made up by me) - WHY?!?

It's difficult enough with names with common variants like Ann/Anne and Jon/John. I have a very recognisable but currently quite uncommon name with at least four standard spellings. No one ever gets it right without several clarifications. But at least if they see it written down first they know how to pronounce it so it's never mangled when people talk to me, and once they've figures out which spelling it is it's not too hard to remember.

(Currently naming a baby, so all this is quite fresh in my mind!)

I knew a guy named "Jon" who insisted we pronounce it "Shawn" (Sean).  I can't imagine going through life having to correct everyone EVERY Single TIME.

My mother pronounces "Norfolk, VA" as "Nahfahk".  She's not from there and it sounds ridiculous.  She says "that's how they pronounce it!"  I do not care.  I also pronounce Nev-AH-da, and I enunciate ALL the letters in Baltimore even though they do not.  Sometimes I ask her how she pronounces New York and Boston or even Germany because it sounds a lot different from locals.  She doesn't care and that kind of makes it cute at this stage.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1051 on: January 02, 2020, 11:50:44 AM »
I'm pretty annoyed by "gift" as a verb or "gifted".  I thought I saw that in this thread, but don't see it on this page at least, so if on a previous page, I think it deserves to be restated!  I guess I'm not sure exactly why I wish it would go away.  It is actually possibly helpful as a more specific word than "give".  But somehow when I see people use it, it seems very self-conscious and loaded, like there's something a bit pretentious about it.  Am I imagining things?
Eh, "give" isn't always specific enough, so I can forgive using "gift" as a verb.  Although, the more I think about it, the more it seems like there are specific terms for other meanings of "give."

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1052 on: January 02, 2020, 02:20:14 PM »
Unusual spellings of common names bugs me too.  Pity the person who is having their name spelled wrong their whole life.
I recently met a Karyn.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1053 on: January 02, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »
Unusual spellings of common names bugs me too.  Pity the person who is having their name spelled wrong their whole life.
I recently met a Karyn.
I know a woman named Caryn.  Pronounced kuh-RIN. (lovely person, BTW, and so are her parents)

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1054 on: January 02, 2020, 07:30:01 PM »
I'm pretty annoyed by "gift" as a verb or "gifted".  I thought I saw that in this thread, but don't see it on this page at least, so if on a previous page, I think it deserves to be restated!  I guess I'm not sure exactly why I wish it would go away.  It is actually possibly helpful as a more specific word than "give".  But somehow when I see people use it, it seems very self-conscious and loaded, like there's something a bit pretentious about it.  Am I imagining things?
Eh, "give" isn't always specific enough, so I can forgive using "gift" as a verb.  Although, the more I think about it, the more it seems like there are specific terms for other meanings of "give."

I’m pretty sure I mentioned the “gifted” thing somewhere earlier in the thread and, if I didn’t, I should have. It drives me nuts.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1055 on: January 03, 2020, 06:13:10 PM »

I don't get why anyone would say "my sister gifted me a bath bomb for Christmas", as opposed to "my sister gave me a bath bomb for Christmas" unless you were trying to be precious with their speech. It does sound ridiculous. (not 'redic' as I noted up thread)

I’m pretty sure I mentioned the “gifted” thing somewhere earlier in the thread and, if I didn’t, I should have. It drives me nuts.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1056 on: January 06, 2020, 12:11:36 PM »
I ran across this last night, and have seen it more and more lately:

People writing "guttural" when they mean "visceral."

"I had a guttural reaction to that scene in the movie."

Urgh.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1057 on: January 06, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »

I don't get why anyone would say "my sister gifted me a bath bomb for Christmas", as opposed to "my sister gave me a bath bomb for Christmas" unless you were trying to be precious with their speech. It does sound ridiculous. (not 'redic' as I noted up thread)

I agree with this and think it's where my dislike comes from.  While theoretically "gifted" is more specific and informative than "given", in practice, I think people almost always say why they were given something so that you know already if it was a gift or if it was because of an exchange or money or something else.  There's always enough context to know whether something was a gift or not regardless of using the word "gift" or "give" so using "gift" seems redundant and why would you say something redundant because you want to emphasize it.  Why would you want to emphasize that you were given a gift?  Well....that's where we get into the "pretentious", "precious" and other feelings.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1058 on: January 06, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »
I ran across this last night, and have seen it more and more lately:

People writing "guttural" when they mean "visceral."

"I had a guttural reaction to that scene in the movie."

Urgh.
I haven't heard this one, but I'd definitely ask the person to recreate the sound for me, although I guess if it's on an internet forum or something, you'd have to ask them to describe the sound instead.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1059 on: January 06, 2020, 02:01:36 PM »
I agree with this and think it's where my dislike comes from.  While theoretically "gifted" is more specific and informative than "given", in practice, I think people almost always say why they were given something so that you know already if it was a gift or if it was because of an exchange or money or something else.  There's always enough context to know whether something was a gift or not regardless of using the word "gift" or "give" so using "gift" seems redundant and why would you say something redundant because you want to emphasize it.  Why would you want to emphasize that you were given a gift?  Well....that's where we get into the "pretentious", "precious" and other feelings.
Yeah, that's a good point--"gifted" only works (to my ear) if there's no other explanation for the occasion when the object was given.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1060 on: January 10, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »
"Way, shape, or form," usually said by people who are trying to seem smart but aren't, is a redundant and tired old phrase that needs to die.

A newer one that needs to hurry up and lose its popularity is "hundred percent!" -- as in, "I agree with you one hundred percent." It seems to be especially prevalent on podcasts.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1061 on: January 10, 2020, 08:09:23 PM »
"Way, shape, or form," usually said by people who are trying to seem smart but aren't, is a redundant and tired old phrase that needs to die.

A newer one that needs to hurry up and lose its popularity is "hundred percent!" -- as in, "I agree with you one hundred percent." It seems to be especially prevalent on podcasts.

If it replaces 110% I'm perfectly OK with that.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: January 11, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »
I am in complete agreement with Davnasty's comment.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1063 on: January 12, 2020, 07:12:11 AM »
I can’t quite believe that there is such a thing of bread in a can. Why the hell would anyone do that?

I can’t quite believe that there is an a risky thing of bread in a can. Why the hell would anyone do that?

Canned anything goes through a factory process that is tried and true. The product goes through a time and temperature process to cook what ever is in the can. The process goes through certain regulatory agencies for approval of process and to determine consumer safety. Storage studies are conducted, microbiological testing, chemical analysis and nutritional analysis are done during shelf life studies to determine product stability and safety over the course of time.

I am sure preppers have stockpiles of canned bread.

Have an open mind. It is really tasty and many generations of people have fond memories of it being served with baked beans and hot dogs with mom and dad. Read the comments in this article:
https://newengland.com/today/food/new-england-made/bm-brown-bread-in-a-can/

Years ago I had a recipe to make bread in a can in my crock pot. Here is one: https://gingerlemongirl.blogspot.com/2012/09/slow-cooker-gluten-free-pumpkin-bread.html

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:23:03 AM by Roadrunner53 »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1064 on: January 12, 2020, 05:58:45 PM »
It's only been around a few weeks AFAIK, but I hope "OK Boomer" disappears just as quickly. I'm not a baby boomer (Gen X), but that phrase seems super condescending/dismissive to me.
Haha, had to laugh at this one! For near a decade Boomers use "millennial" as a slur to describe every conceivable failing of a generation, from entitlement, lazyness, snowflakes, you name it! "ok boomer" trends on Twitter for a week and they loose their shit and won't stop whining about how mean it is, is it a hate crime, should it be banned?!

At least they continue to reinforce that boomers are the worst generation ever. They're burning the planet to a crisp, control all levers of power, grab as much wealth for themselves as they can while screwing everyone else. But hey, someone said something mean about them on Twitter!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:01:44 PM by Scandium »

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1065 on: January 12, 2020, 06:30:28 PM »
Dunno, it seems more like rich boomers and rich millennials alike are conspiring to exploit the planet while poor boomers and poor millennials suffer.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1066 on: January 12, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
Dunno, it seems more like rich boomers and rich millennials alike are conspiring to exploit the planet while poor boomers and poor millennials suffer.
How many boomers and how many millennials are there at the top levels of government?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1067 on: January 13, 2020, 09:17:30 AM »
For near a decade Boomers use "millennial" as a slur to describe every conceivable failing of a generation, from entitlement, lazyness, snowflakes, you name it! "ok boomer" trends on Twitter for a week and they loose their shit and won't stop whining about how mean it is, is it a hate crime, should it be banned?!
Age is a protected class when over 40. Millennials aren't there yet but Boomers have been for a while, so maybe it is a hate crime.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1068 on: January 13, 2020, 09:26:58 AM »
For near a decade Boomers use "millennial" as a slur to describe every conceivable failing of a generation, from entitlement, lazyness, snowflakes, you name it! "ok boomer" trends on Twitter for a week and they loose their shit and won't stop whining about how mean it is, is it a hate crime, should it be banned?!
Age is a protected class when over 40. Millennials aren't there yet but Boomers have been for a while, so maybe it is a hate crime.

Gen-X and Millennial aren't as neatly defined as Boomers, but for some definitions the Millennial birth year range starts at 1980, so some Millennials are starting to turn 40.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1069 on: January 13, 2020, 11:36:44 AM »

I feel for them; having spent their entire lives getting everything they want and all politics catered to them it must be shocking when someone now dare mock them.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1070 on: January 13, 2020, 09:59:18 PM »
How many Boomers do you people know?

When I graduated university there were very few jobs.  We went through massive inflation and high interest rates in the 80's, so great for affording a house (/s).  Opportunities for investment were rare and had to be done through investment banks.  No massive information available from the internet.  All those great DIY YouTube videos mustachians love? Non-existent.

Um, Canadian politics - Justin Trudeau was born in 1971, Jagmeet Singh was born in 1979, Andrew Scheer was born in 1979.  The most radical, Elizabeth May, was born in 1954, so the only boomer.   Can't help it if the American system lets people stay in office forever.

Why do boomers affect politics?  Because we vote. Not surprising, we were the 60's radicals (well some of us). Get everyone voting.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1071 on: January 13, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
Tim Dillon has a hilarious sketch on boomers, if you like dark nsfw comedy:
https://youtu.be/KuG5wv-D7mA

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1072 on: January 21, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
People at my work have taken to using the abbreviation f/u in emails to mean follow-up. Even though I know what they mean the other meaning is what I read in my head. "Please f/u on Wednesday with x about y". Can't wait until I retire so I can tell all of them f/u.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1073 on: January 21, 2020, 06:31:23 PM »
People at my work have taken to using the abbreviation f/u in emails to mean follow-up. Even though I know what they mean the other meaning is what I read in my head. "Please f/u on Wednesday with x about y". Can't wait until I retire so I can tell all of them f/u.

I've been using f/u for Follow-Up for so long, but I never use it to other people exactly for that reason!  I only use it in notes to myself.  It shouldn't be too hard, but I've never taken the time to figure out a different abbreviation that wouldn't be so...potentially offensive to people.  We really need one, though, because sucks to type it out.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1074 on: January 21, 2020, 08:46:48 PM »

Gen-X and Millennial aren't as neatly defined as Boomers, but for some definitions the Millennial birth year range starts at 1980, so some Millennials are starting to turn 40.

I said a much-deserved "Ok Boomer" to my brother-in-law (who is only a few years older than I am) and my nephew (16 years old...no idea what that makes him) thought it was hysterical.  I'm sure he thinks I'm also a boomer or that the few years that I'm out-of-boomerdom don't really matter.  There must be some word or phrase that kids his age use for people my age who try to appropriate their language.  I suppose it would be as if my mom had started saying "Grody to the Max". 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1075 on: January 21, 2020, 10:31:00 PM »

I said a much-deserved "Ok Boomer" to my brother-in-law (who is only a few years older than I am) and my nephew (16 years old...no idea what that makes him) thought it was hysterical.  I'm sure he thinks I'm also a boomer or that the few years that I'm out-of-boomerdom don't really matter.  There must be some word or phrase that kids his age use for people my age who try to appropriate their language.  I suppose it would be as if my mom had started saying "Grody to the Max".

Wasn't it "grotty" to start out with? Yep, boomer here.

I shocked my DD when she was complaining about something and I  told her it was a first world problem.  I suppose we aren't supposed to keep up with slang?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1076 on: January 22, 2020, 10:35:46 AM »

I shocked my DD when she was complaining about something and I  told her it was a first world problem.  I suppose we aren't supposed to keep up with slang?
I've never heard "grotty", but that doesn't mean much.  Nope, we are not meant to keep up with what the young'uns say.  23-Skidoo! 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1077 on: January 22, 2020, 01:15:16 PM »

I've never heard "grotty", but that doesn't mean much.  Nope, we are not meant to keep up with what the young'uns say.  23-Skidoo!

We don't have to use the slang, but it is good to keep up. Words change.   "Gay", for example, has done a total change in meaning over my lifetime.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1078 on: January 22, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »

I always thought "grotty" was British and "grody" was American

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1079 on: January 22, 2020, 07:04:13 PM »

I always thought "grotty" was British and "grody" was American

I'm Canadian,  caught between 2 spelling systems.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1080 on: January 23, 2020, 05:00:17 AM »
This has probably been mentioned before, but I hate when people use the word leverage when they should have used the word use. I had to sit through two management presentations yesterday like that. I wish I was keeping track of how many times he said leverage. He probably said it 50 times.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1081 on: January 23, 2020, 05:02:30 AM »
This has probably been mentioned before, but I hate when people use the word leverage when they should have used the word use. I had to sit through two management presentations yesterday like that. I wish I was keeping track of how many times he said leverage. He probably said it 50 times.

He overleveraged the word leverage.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1082 on: January 23, 2020, 05:05:40 AM »

He overleveraged the word leverage.

:D lol

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1083 on: January 23, 2020, 06:50:46 AM »

Don't those mean the same thing? Leverage often has a connotation of using something borrowed in finance, but I thought using something to its maximum potential was a correct usage as well.  He's leveraging his vocabulary.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1084 on: January 23, 2020, 06:55:52 AM »

Don't those mean the same thing? Leverage often has a connotation of using something borrowed in finance, but I thought using something to its maximum potential was a correct usage as well.  He's leveraging his vocabulary.

You can use leverage instead of use, but leverage is just corporate bullspeak and more cumbersome than just using use.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1085 on: January 23, 2020, 07:03:59 AM »

I don't get the hate on "leverage". Leverage means using something to increase the amount of force for the same amount of effort. That can be concrete "I leveraged the plank to lift the boulder", or metaphoric "I leveraged my professional relationships to make the deal."

Another way of saying it is that leverage means to use to maximum advantage, so if you're saying that "use" would've been more correct, you may be missing the additional implication of "to maximum advantage".

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1086 on: January 23, 2020, 07:16:21 AM »

I don't get the hate on "leverage". Leverage means using something to increase the amount of force for the same amount of effort. That can be concrete "I leveraged the plank to lift the boulder", or metaphoric "I leveraged my professional relationships to make the deal."

Another way of saying it is that leverage means to use to maximum advantage, so if you're saying that "use" would've been more correct, you may be missing the additional implication of "to maximum advantage".

No. He was just using leverage to make it sound like he had more authority. Use was definitely the word he wanted to use. I think a lot us are so used to hearing leverage bandied about that we don’t really notice it being misused.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1087 on: January 23, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »

No. He was just using leverage to make it sound like he had more authority. Use was definitely the word he wanted to use. I think a lot us are so used to hearing leverage bandied about that we don’t really notice it being misused.
Leverage is just like utilize. If you overutilize utilize it makes people want to utilize earplugs.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1088 on: January 23, 2020, 10:49:31 AM »

Leverage is just like utilize. If you overutilize utilize it makes people want to utilize earplugs.

Exactly :D

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1089 on: January 23, 2020, 06:54:47 PM »

Every day, I want to add "leverage" to this thread, but I can't help but think it's already here 50 times. Nonetheless, I will add to the leverage-hating chorus here. It is my most-hated business buzzword.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: January 23, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »
Dammit. You guys beat me to it re: leverage and utilise.

Leverage is fine if there is a physical or metaphorical lever, but otherwise I throw it in the "paradigm" / "synergy" box of corporate speak.

Also dislike "simplistic" when used improperly.

Also hate "privileged" or "privileged to be..." when used as a humblebrag or preceding an announcement. Unless you're going to Eton or receiving a knighthood. Then you can use it.

Also hate announcements/humblebrags being preceded by "Humbled to be..." because if you really were humble you wouldn't be splashing it on LinkedIn.

I have no issues with bragging about your accomplishments. Just fucking say it, asshole. Own it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1091 on: January 24, 2020, 08:56:49 AM »

I knew a guy named "Jon" who insisted we pronounce it "Shawn" (Sean).  I can't imagine going through life having to correct everyone EVERY Single TIME.

My mother pronounces "Norfolk, VA" as "Nahfahk".  She's not from there and it sounds ridiculous.  She says "that's how they pronounce it!"  I do not care.  I also pronounce Nev-AH-da, and I enunciate ALL the letters in Baltimore even though they do not.  Sometimes I ask her how she pronounces New York and Boston or even Germany because it sounds a lot different from locals.  She doesn't care and that kind of makes it cute at this stage.

The second "c" in Connecticut  is silent but I've heard  the word pronounced as if it isn't.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1092 on: January 24, 2020, 09:00:51 AM »
I'm pretty annoyed by "gift" as a verb or "gifted".

I dislike it too.

I guess I'm not sure exactly why I wish it would go away.

+1

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1093 on: January 24, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »

The second "c" in Connecticut  is silent but I've heard  the word pronounced as if it isn't.

Illi-noise is one I hear pretty frequently. Never heard a Connect-icut in the wild :D

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1094 on: January 24, 2020, 03:25:16 PM »

Illi-noise is one I hear pretty frequently.

+1

Never heard a Connect-icut in the wild :D

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1095 on: January 24, 2020, 03:28:58 PM »
Board is today's entry in the file of misspelled words.

Someone wrote that  they board a hole in something.

The correct word is "bored."

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:31:24 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1096 on: January 25, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »

That was me as a kid. Being in a different country, I never heard anyone pronounce Connecticut, so when I read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, I pronounced that second c every time.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1097 on: January 25, 2020, 07:34:09 PM »
My impression is that "gifting" was inspired by the term "re-gifting."  Before that became a common verb, people just said "gift-giving."

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1098 on: January 26, 2020, 06:27:18 AM »
"Is it always this slow here?"
"It sure is quiet today."
"Wow, it looks like you're really busy today, but I'm sure it helps the day go quickly, right? Har har."

I don't know why this bothered me so much when I worked in customer service oriented jobs, but it did. And now I cringe when I'm out with someone else and they make a comment like this to a cashier, a bank teller, etc. Often it's not actually that slow behind the scenes -- it just seems that way from the surface -- or it was super busy and it just finally calmed down. And I've never "appreciated" busy days. I'd much rather chat with my coworkers or check my email, thank you very much, but I couldn't say that to a customer.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1099 on: January 26, 2020, 07:55:28 AM »
"Is it always this slow here?"
"It sure is quiet today."
"Wow, it looks like you're really busy today, but I'm sure it helps the day go quickly, right? Har har."

I don't know why this bothered me so much when I worked in customer service oriented jobs, but it did. And now I cringe when I'm out with someone else and they make a comment like this to a cashier, a bank teller, etc. Often it's not actually that slow behind the scenes -- it just seems that way from the surface -- or it was super busy and it just finally calmed down. And I've never "appreciated" busy days. I'd much rather chat with my coworkers or check my email, thank you very much, but I couldn't say that to a customer.

In healthcare we are very superstitious about not saying that q word you just mentioned.