Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 513931 times)

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #950 on: October 10, 2020, 07:17:34 AM »
Friends With Kids.  So awful. Really just the worst. Also totally confused by Kristen Wiig even being in this movie where she only had like 3 lines and her talents were totally wasted.

Yeah, Friends With Kids was terrible. Whoever wrote that screenplay should seek mental help.

We got about 30 minutes into Hail, Caesar! last night before bailing. It started off promising, but never got any better. For a comedy there was a surprising lack of anything remotely funny.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #951 on: October 10, 2020, 11:19:19 AM »
Friends With Kids.  So awful. Really just the worst. Also totally confused by Kristen Wiig even being in this movie where she only had like 3 lines and her talents were totally wasted.

Yeah, Friends With Kids was terrible. Whoever wrote that screenplay should seek mental help.

We got about 30 minutes into Hail, Caesar! last night before bailing. It started off promising, but never got any better. For a comedy there was a surprising lack of anything remotely funny.

So glad I'm not the only one.
I actually tried watching it twice and wondered what was wrong with me that I found it so unwatchable.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #952 on: October 11, 2020, 07:13:24 AM »
We watched “The Vast of Night” last night. It’s basically a 90-minute Twilight Zone episode and quite well done.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #953 on: October 11, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
Just watched Extra Ordinary last night and it was just so unbelievably pleasantly funny to watch. Irish absurd comedy about ghosts. So silly, such great comedic timing, just a lot of fun.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: October 11, 2020, 03:26:46 PM »
'Wildlife', directed by Paul Dano.

Disappointed.   For some reason, I was psyched to see this movie, maybe because it was actually    AVAILABLE    at my library.

It was OK.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #955 on: October 12, 2020, 12:24:35 PM »
has anyone mentioned 'my octopus teacher' on netflix?

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #956 on: October 13, 2020, 07:16:47 AM »

Any movie with George Clooney cast that way is bound to not be funny. You could tell from the picture on the DVD it would be boring, right? 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #957 on: October 13, 2020, 07:27:33 AM »
Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Mo. 

Well, I put the DVD in for the third attempt to watch this movie. I was sure that Francis McDormand would turn in to a character I could not hate. Sure enough, she became likable, and I watched the whole movie to the end.

I ended up liking the movie. It has good character development.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #958 on: October 13, 2020, 08:45:02 AM »

Any movie with George Clooney cast that way is bound to not be funny. You could tell from the picture on the DVD it would be boring, right?

Sorry, I haven't touched a DVD in years lol.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #959 on: October 13, 2020, 09:15:05 AM »

Why do you say that? George Clooney can be hilarious. Burn After Reading is one of my favourite movies.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #960 on: October 13, 2020, 10:59:09 AM »

Why do you say that? George Clooney can be hilarious. Burn After Reading is one of my favourite movies.

I don't consider myself that big of a Clooney fan, but I enjoyed BOTH Burn After Reading and Hail Caesar!  I seem to just jive with Cohen Brother comedies in a way that a lot of people don't.  In fact I just re-watched Hail Caesar a few months ago. Clooney is the least entertaining part of it, IMO.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #961 on: October 14, 2020, 09:24:35 AM »

I don't consider myself that big of a Clooney fan, but I enjoyed BOTH Burn After Reading and Hail Caesar!  I seem to just jive with Cohen Brother comedies in a way that a lot of people don't.  In fact I just re-watched Hail Caesar a few months ago. Clooney is the least entertaining part of it, IMO.

I don't know, just seeing him in the Roman toga on the DVD cover was a non-funny indicator for me, lol. 

I like Clooney OK in other movies. 

I've decided I will give Hail Caesar a chance.  I have liked other Coen Bro movies. 

I agree with whoever mentioned Kristen Wiig. Why is she so bizarrely miscast all over the place, for these cameos? lol.   

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #962 on: October 14, 2020, 10:50:51 AM »

I don't know, just seeing him in the Roman toga on the DVD cover was a non-funny indicator for me, lol. 

I like Clooney OK in other movies. 

I've decided I will give Hail Caesar a chance.  I have liked other Coen Bro movies. 

I agree with whoever mentioned Kristen Wiig. Why is she so bizarrely miscast all over the place, for these cameos? lol.   

She was also the only bad casting in The Martian.  Weird.  Of course, I didn't even care for her even in Bridesmaids, so I might not be a good judge.

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #963 on: October 14, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
Clovehitch Killer (Hulu) | Regular suburban teenage boy finds out his normal cubscout leader dad may be a serial killer. If you like those documentaries where the family/community is shocked that the church-going father ends up being the serial killer, you'd like this. Dylan McDermott does great with the cheesy, creepy dad character. I'll give it a B.

A Ghost Story (Netflix) | What if, in the afterlife, you were tethered to a specific geographical place? You have to like weird artsy movies to be into this. Casey Affleck passes away much too young and spends 90% of the movie walking/standing around in a huge white sheet with holes in the eyes, like a kid on Halloween. If you can get past that and are ok with looooong silences (Rooney Mara eats her grief away in the form of an entire pie) and not a lot of action, give it a try. It's really thoughtful and sad as he is tied to the home they lived in, and sees what happens to it through the ages. I really liked it and had seen it before, but it's not for a mainstream audience. I'll give it an A-, but I'm into depressing and weird movies like this. Consider yourself warned.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #964 on: October 15, 2020, 07:54:26 AM »
'Colossal' starring Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudekis. OK. Romantic comedy and scifi.  Acting OK. Plot OK.

No chemistry between Sudekis and Hathaway.  Maybe there's not supposed to be, since she only has relations with other guys in the movie. 

Supporting actors OK.

Better than a kick in the head, maybe?   

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #965 on: October 15, 2020, 08:49:33 AM »
'Colossal' starring Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudekis. OK. Romantic comedy and scifi.  Acting OK. Plot OK.

No chemistry between Sudekis and Hathaway.  Maybe there's not supposed to be, since she only has relations with other guys in the movie. 

Supporting actors OK.

Ok sounds about right for most of it but I thought Sudekis was good, which was actually the worst part about the movie. Now whenever I see him in something else, I see a little bit of that character in him. Wish I could unsee it.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #966 on: October 15, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »

Supporting actors OK.

I don't  think this was a romantic-comedy AT ALL. Sudekis is a creepy Nice Guy [tm] attempting to force a relationship on someone who doesn't see him as a prospect, so there shouldn't be any chemistry.
:)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #967 on: October 17, 2020, 06:51:08 AM »

Supporting actors OK.

Ok sounds about right for most of it but I thought Sudekis was good, which was actually the worst part about the movie. Now whenever I see him in something else, I see a little bit of that character in him. Wish I could unsee it.

I liked him in We're the Millers. I liked him paired with with Jennifer Anniston in that movie.   

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:58:14 AM by slackmax »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #968 on: October 17, 2020, 07:06:50 AM »
Watched "The Disaster Artist" last night and it's kind of brilliant.

You do need to know at least the history behind the movie for it to make any sense though.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #969 on: October 17, 2020, 07:17:46 AM »
We watched "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga" on Netflix last night. SO enjoyed it but I bailed halfway through. It was kind of funny but never enough to get any real laughs; definitely not what I expect from Will Ferrell. If you like a lot of singing or you're from Finland, then maybe give this one a shot.

On a more general note I've noticed that I'm bailing on a lot more movies than usual lately. I can only think of one or two times I actually walked out of a theatre in my life, but when streaming, it's just a lot easier to move on to the next movie if something isn't good. I figure, why waste your time on something mediocre? Am I just a snob or is anyone else in the same boat?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #970 on: October 17, 2020, 08:41:40 AM »
We watched "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga" on Netflix last night. SO enjoyed it but I bailed halfway through. It was kind of funny but never enough to get any real laughs; definitely not what I expect from Will Ferrell. If you like a lot of singing or you're from Finland, then maybe give this one a shot.

On a more general note I've noticed that I'm bailing on a lot more movies than usual lately. I can only think of one or two times I actually walked out of a theatre in my life, but when streaming, it's just a lot easier to move on to the next movie if something isn't good. I figure, why waste your time on something mediocre? Am I just a snob or is anyone else in the same boat?

Nope, I'm finding a lot of movies unwatchable these days.

Re: Eurovision, I think you need to be a Eurovision fan to really get it. I have a lot of friends from Iceland, so that part for me was funny. But yeah, it's kind of like one long inside joke.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #971 on: October 17, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »

Re: Eurovision, I think you need to be a Eurovision fan to really get it. I have a lot of friends from Iceland, so that part for me was funny. But yeah, it's kind of like one long inside joke.

I guess it's a good thing. I was able to only waste about 5 minutes on Hubie Halloween without even leaving the comfort of my own home! Next...

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #972 on: October 19, 2020, 06:04:27 AM »
Roma.  I liked it. Its about a rich family in Mexico City in the Sixties(?). A slice of life movie. The interaction between the servants and the homeowners, and the parents and kids.

It's not overly political or preachy, which was a nice break.

It's in black and white, and has interesting photography. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #973 on: October 19, 2020, 09:58:25 AM »
Also liked Roma. Very interesting.

We watched Widows. Each of us thought the other had wanted to watch it and when we realized neither of us were sorry excited about it, we shrugged and decided it seemed like an action/heist movie and would go by fast, so let's just watch.

It was not fast paced at all! There was little action until the last 25 minutes. In general, it was a bit weird and we didn't really like it, but maybe mostly because our expectations were so different. But I definitely felt like it was hard to suspend disbelief at a couple particular points.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #974 on: October 19, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »
The Lighthouse - we broke it up into two viewings so I could cope with the level of mounting anxiety and stress the director was building. Unlike Mother! , the director really stuck the landing with the use of allegory and classical allusions. One of the best movies I have seen but I am very unlikely to see it again.

Plus oddly appropriate to watch a coupled of people slowly be driven mad by forced proximity and no way to escape that one super annoying co-worker.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #975 on: October 20, 2020, 05:34:09 AM »
The Lighthouse - we broke it up into two viewings so I could cope with the level of mounting anxiety and stress the director was building. Unlike Mother! , the director really stuck the landing with the use of allegory and classical allusions. One of the best movies I have seen but I am very unlikely to see it again.

Plus oddly appropriate to watch a coupled of people slowly be driven mad by forced proximity and no way to escape that one super annoying co-worker.

What a coincidence!  I just watched The Lighthouse last night. I thought Willem Dafoe did a great job of acting the old domineering salt, and the other actor was good, too. What accents!   

When the movie was finally over, I was relieved, though. Although it was a well done movie, it was kind of a struggle to watch.

It displayed as a square screen on my tv. The black and white was a nice effect.

Spoiler Alert !

How about the final scene where the last remaining man is being eaten by seagulls? Gross.

Definitely worth watching, but mainly for Willem Dafoe's portrayal of the old salt.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 08:36:36 AM by slackmax »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #976 on: October 20, 2020, 06:07:59 AM »

I bailed on 'The Leisure Seeker' last night.  I got about 15 minutes into it. The pace was fast, which was OK, the setup of the plot made sense, OK. Those things were good, but.... Donald Sutherland in the sad role of a dementia patient. Nope. Unenjoyable.

And, the nail in the coffin was seeing Helen Mirren cast as an American Southerner with that awful southern accent she came up with. Nope.  I like a good southern accent, don't get me wrong, just don't try to make me watch Helen Mirren do it, lol.

And I saw my dad go through dementia, and I didn't want to relive that.   

Some folks may like this movie for various reasons, it has good intentions of casting a light on dementia, no doubt, but I just couldn't stand seeing these really good actors cast this way.

Hey, I do sound snobby, don't I, lol ?   

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #977 on: October 20, 2020, 07:30:50 AM »

What a coincidence!  I just watched The Lighthouse last night. I thought Willem Dafoe did a great job of acting the old domineering salt, and the other actor was good, too. What accents!   

When the movie was finally over, I was relieved, though. Although it was a well done movie, it was kind of a struggle to watch.

It displayed as a square screen on my tv. The black and white was a nice effect.

How about the final scene where the last remaining man is being eaten by seagulls? Gross.

Definitely worth watching, but mainly for Willem Dafoe's portrayal of the old salt.

The Lighthouse was definitely not what I was expecting.  I think it's one of Robert Pattinson's best films, though.  It's one of the only things I've seen him in where he didn't look like he was cringing at his lines for half of the movie.

I thought the square aspect ratio gave the film an even more cramped and claustrophobic effect, especially combined with how a lot of the movie was shot up at the actors.  It made me feel even more why they went crazy, although I wasn't expecting such a dramatic conclusion AT ALL.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #978 on: October 20, 2020, 07:33:20 AM »

Spoiler: show

The Lighthouse was definitely not what I was expecting.  I think it's one of Robert Pattinson's best films, though.  It's one of the only things I've seen him in where he didn't look like he was cringing at his lines for half of the movie.

I thought the square aspect ratio gave the film an even more cramped and claustrophobic effect, especially combined with how a lot of the movie was shot up at the actors.  It made me feel even more why they went crazy, although I wasn't expecting such a dramatic conclusion AT ALL.
If that is the ending, could you perhaps both go back and add spoiler tags to that line, please?

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #979 on: October 20, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »

I'm finding myself much quicker to bail out of movies, TV, podcasts, and books these days. I think it's a lock down side effect, probably redirected irritability from a mild situational depression or something.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #980 on: October 21, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »

Spoiler alert !

I was half way through the movie when it dawned on me that the actor was the same guy who played in the vampire movies. Yeah, but this guy could act! Who knew? Pattinson has a set of acting chops on him, no?  And what a great accent he did.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #981 on: October 21, 2020, 09:36:27 AM »
has anyone mentioned 'my octopus teacher' on netflix?

This was a lovely, moving film. Highly recommended.

I have to wonder how many hours he spent in the water with her to catch her In those significant points in her little octopus life.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #982 on: October 22, 2020, 07:55:38 PM »
“Greed” with Steve Coogan.  Satirical, funny in parts, but Coogan pulls off playing a horse’s ass in a Trumpian vein — right down to bankrupting businesses, shady business dealings, trophy wives, and being cruel to his unfavored child.  At times there was too much going on, and certain characters could have been better developed, but it was worthwhile.  And it makes valid points about the fashion industry.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #983 on: October 23, 2020, 03:08:57 PM »
One word - "Borat"

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #984 on: October 23, 2020, 08:12:50 PM »
Something online led me to "The Swimmer" starring Burt Lancaster. IIt'ss 1968 in all iits kitchy Techniolor gorgeousness. A  college Engliish course I  took did a deep dive into the works of John Cheever. It's beautiful,  weird and ultimately sad. $1.99 on Amazon Prime.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #985 on: October 23, 2020, 08:17:50 PM »
Just saw "The World According to Garp" starring Robin Williams tonight.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #986 on: October 23, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #987 on: October 23, 2020, 10:41:46 PM »
One word - "Borat"

Just watched it.

Just what I needed.  I have no idea how Sasha Baron Cohen gets the footage of people that seem to be unsuspecting, but that whole segment about the baby had me laughing more than I have in a long time.  Plenty of over the top stuff which made me cringe too, but that's the price you pay for stuff that is so unique and, mostly, hilarious...  And the story actually wasn't as bad as the first movie's, so that was nice.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #988 on: October 23, 2020, 11:11:04 PM »
Just watched "Seriously Single" on Netflix. It is a South African rom-com about two best friends negotiating their love lives. The actresses playing the leads were terrific and it was fascinating to see the mixture of languages used in the movie.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #989 on: October 24, 2020, 02:22:05 AM »
Today it's been hosing down so we have watched Borat and Bombshell. I didn't expect the two films to set up such an interesting conversation between them but they did.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #990 on: October 25, 2020, 07:57:38 AM »
Something online led me to "The Swimmer" starring Burt Lancaster. IIt'ss 1968 in all iits kitchy Techniolor gorgeousness. A  college Engliish course I  took did a deep dive into the works of John Cheever. It's beautiful,  weird and ultimately sad. $1.99 on Amazon Prime.

I just watched 'The Apartment' with Jack Lemmon. It shows Fred McMurray as a bad guy, which is interesting.

Black and White.  1960. 

The plot is a little bit complicated, but plainly laid out, and easy to follow. I like that. No flashbacks to figure out.   

Jack Lemmon is the neurotic nebbish who wins the beautiful girl away from McMurray.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #991 on: October 25, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
Here Comes the Boom with Kevin James, Henry Winkler on Starz.

Very cute movie with Kevin James as a semi burnt out biology teacher. School is suffering financial problems and is going to cut the music program that Henry Winkler teaches. Kevin decides to try to save the music program by cage fighting and even if he loses the match, he makes money. Good, fun movie.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #992 on: October 25, 2020, 03:42:10 PM »
The Gentlemen which was way more fun than I expected. If you want a British Criminal Caper movie with super sharp suits, this is a good one.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #993 on: October 25, 2020, 03:46:30 PM »
Fast Color which had a lot of potential but I feel like the script didn't develop the back story quite enough for us to feel everything the characters were feeling, or to believe the premise.  A dystopian movie about an earth where it hasn't rained in years and a family with special powers.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #994 on: October 25, 2020, 04:31:52 PM »
The Gentlemen which was way more fun than I expected. If you want a British Criminal Caper movie with super sharp suits, this is a good one.

And Colin Farrell's AMAZING outfits!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #995 on: October 25, 2020, 05:05:14 PM »

And Colin Farrell's AMAZING outfits!
Colin Farrell was a delight, as was Hugh Grant. Best supporting award goes to Matthew Mccaughey's tailor.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #996 on: October 26, 2020, 04:57:13 PM »
After uninspiring movies for quite a while, I got out an old favorite: Monty Python and the Holy Grail. 

I've been watching this movie since I was practically too young to remember!  And definitely didn't understand almost any of it.  When I was a small kid, it was the most slapstick stuff, like I think the Black Knight and his "flesh wound".  In high school, a group of friends would trade the "taunts" of the French knights back and forth.  As I got into my 20s, I started to love the political statements more, the witch and her "fair court" and even more so, the anarcho-syndicalist commune and when they have to take majority vs. supermajority votes.  Watery tarts lobbing scimitars is a favorite across ages and the whole monologue of that bloody peasant is probably the single most enjoyable scene, though the Bridge of Death and the 5 questions (3 questions!) never fails to amuse.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #997 on: October 26, 2020, 05:44:55 PM »
After uninspiring movies for quite a while, I got out an old favorite: Monty Python and the Holy Grail. 

I've been watching this movie since I was practically too young to remember!  And definitely didn't understand almost any of it.  When I was a small kid, it was the most slapstick stuff, like I think the Black Knight and his "flesh wound".  In high school, a group of friends would trade the "taunts" of the French knights back and forth.  As I got into my 20s, I started to love the political statements more, the witch and her "fair court" and even more so, the anarcho-syndicalist commune and when they have to take majority vs. supermajority votes.  Watery tarts lobbing scimitars is a favorite across ages and the whole monologue of that bloody peasant is probably the single most enjoyable scene, though the Bridge of Death and the 5 questions (3 questions!) never fails to amuse.

When I first watched this in middle school it was totally over my head. Now, genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7qT-C-0ajI

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #998 on: October 28, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »
One word - "Borat"

Just watched it.

Just what I needed.  I have no idea how Sasha Baron Cohen gets the footage of people that seem to be unsuspecting, but that whole segment about the baby had me laughing more than I have in a long time.  Plenty of over the top stuff which made me cringe too, but that's the price you pay for stuff that is so unique and, mostly, hilarious...  And the story actually wasn't as bad as the first movie's, so that was nice.
yes watched this with a friend last weekend. A few times laughed out loud, and also the wonder how he got some of those scenes.  He must have steel balls (and person playing his daughter) have brass balls and don't break character. That said some of his humor goes too far. But maybe that's the point (something to offend everyone).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #999 on: October 28, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »
One word - "Borat"

Just watched it.

yes watched this with a friend last weekend. A few times laughed out loud, and also the wonder how he got some of those scenes.  He must have steel balls (and person playing his daughter) have brass balls and don't break character. That said some of his humor goes too far. But maybe that's the point (something to offend everyone).

Watch the Colbert interview where he talks about what went down at the concert...oh my.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!